• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Would there be any notable difference going from a 290x to a 290? And Newegg sells used video game cards? There isn't anything wrong with them though is there? =O
Not really no.

eBay or anywhere. Those brands of cards are based on serial warranty in the US.

No need for a Z series mainboard if you go with a "non K" i5. These aren't made for OC.
I'd go with 2x4gig. Just because it's a tad higher (some %) increase than a single stick, and if one bits the grass, you still have one to work with hehe

Please go for an Western Digital HDD, Seagate is no good.

Do you really need the soundcard, the wired + wireless network adapter? You can just plug in an ethernet cable into any mainboard, and they also have a built in soundcard, you know?

Don't really need an additional case fan, but if you really want one, I'd go with something from Noctua. They have awesome fans.
Also, go with a GTX 750ti 2GB.The non-ti 1gig won't do the job for light gaming.

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed. Didn't know that it comes with a built in soundcard. Will I be able to do wireless only? I know the connection won't be as good, but I don't play that many games online. Also didn't know it came with a fan!

Edit: Also could I get some tips on motherboards? I have no idea what I should be looking out for.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed. Didn't know that it comes with a built in soundcard. Will I be able to do wireless only? I know the connection won't be as good, but I don't play that many games online. Also didn't know it came with a fan!
All consumer motherboards come with audio and wired networking built in (just look at side pictures).

USB Wifi is fine. You can use either and disable or enable whatever (Wired / WiFi) one you want.

This is my current pc with the exception of now using 8.1 and the GTX670 which I just swapped out for a 780 Ti. What is the next big upgrade path? CPU is the big thing but should I wait until the next revision? And what is the new type of ram about? Of course at that point my motherboard needs to be replaced too. Appreciate the knowledge!

Smokey

***PC BROS THAT WANT A 4790K AKA DEVILS CANYON***

As mentioned on the previous page Microcenter will be selling the 4970k for $279.99 vs the $370 MSRP. I have a MIcrocenter up the street from me. I am willing to pre-order and ship to whomever is looking to upgrade, but doesn't have a MC nearby.

So far I have reserved one for myself and one other person. Payment is not due until you pick up instore, so you can wait until the day of release (7/4) to transfer funds via Paypal.

So windows 8.1 is pretty good from what I hear? Is it better than the regular windows 8?

EDIT: also, Smokey, were do you live? How long would the shipping take?

scogoth

As mentioned on the previous page Microcenter will be selling the 4970k for $279.99 vs the $370 MSRP. I have a MIcrocenter up the street from me. I am willing to pre-order and ship to whomever is looking to upgrade, but doesn't have a MC nearby.

So far I have reserved one for myself and one other person. Payment is not due until you pick up instore, so you can wait until the day of release (7/4) to transfer funds via Paypal.

Are you in cali?

Dave_6

My work PC keeps having an issue today where the screen goes black for a second then comes back on. I then get a notification that the display driver stopped working and has recovered (integrated graphics). It's done it at least 8 to 10 times in the past 20 mins. Any idea what I can do to fix this?

I'd appreciate you pre-ordering one for me, don't want to spend the 30 dollars in gas to drive to the store just to put a reservation down, and then do the same when it comes out. Didn't realize there was a discount, so no point in waiting a really long time for what comes after.

Get an used ASUS, GB, or MSI R9 290 with a good cooler for ~$320. You're pissing away money if you buy anything else. It will come with it's original 3 year warranty.

Clone it. It's fine.

GB. If you don't know why you want/need a Classified you don't need it.

Thank you, will do then. Makes the choice a lot easier.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm actually kind of glad my Z87 Sniper M5 stopped working. Bought a Gryphon at a local store to just get the system up and running for a friend to use at my place for a LAN. Now I have two Z87 boards (after RMA). Bring on the 4790K.

Smokey

I'd appreciate you pre-ordering one for me, don't want to spend the 30 dollars in gas to drive to the store just to put a reservation down, and then do the same when it comes out. Didn't realize there was a discount, so no point in waiting a really long time for what comes after.

Alright, I'll mark ya down

Thats a bit far to drive.... You no get to see GTR

You have a GTR?
Wow what are you doing associating yourself with us mere peasants

mkenyon

Banned
It works. Nothing fancy, just plain works.

I'm still using my 2500K/290 system primarily though because I'm too lazy to move the case, and swap out the SB-Z into the other one.
Thats a bit far to drive.... You no get to see GTR
WHAT

THAT'S MY DREAM CAR YOU KNOW.

STOP BY OLYMPIA ON YOUR WAY BACK TO THE NORTH PLZ.

Smokey

I'll pretty much have a backup system ready to go, minus GPU and RAM. Z68 mobo, 2500k, h80i, FT02, Seasonic 1000w (after RMA), dell u3011.

Maybe I'll turn that into a AMD machine. #TeamRed

Blackage

Most of the cases in the OP under "Enhanced" and "Enthusiast" can handle those, but generally, if you have your eye on a specific case, ask here.

I was eyeing a Corsair Vengeance C70 case, and according to the other thread Hazaro linked that should be good for a H110. :eek:

Smokey

mkenyon

Banned
I was eyeing a Corsair Vengeance C70 case, and according to the other thread Hazaro linked that should be good for a H110. :eek:
Are you digging the military theme in particular? The Phanteks Enthoo Pro just came out and is better than any case under $200.

Also, you don't really need to bother with the 140mm version. It's overly big for zero benefit on standard Haswell, and has an unproven benefit on Devil's Canyon.

maneil99

This is my current pc with the exception of now using 8.1 and the GTX670 which I just swapped out for a 780 Ti. What is the next big upgrade path? CPU is the big thing but should I wait until the next revision? And what is the new type of ram about? Of course at that point my motherboard needs to be replaced too. Appreciate the knowledge!

Nothing really. I would advise getting a good cooler and overclocking your CPU. No need for a new one as you will see a marginal 5-10% increase in CPU power which corraltes to even less gains in games. IF you are going to go i7 wait a few months but if I were you I would hold on for Broadwell or Skylake as there are no substantial gains to be had at this time that are worth the price of a new motherboard and cpu. IF anything maybe up the ante and go for 16gb of ram but thats about it.

KScorp

It seems you can preorder online, you just have to select the location you're preordering at, then pick it up on release. At least that's what it lets me do with the two Chicago microcenters.

Blackage

Are you digging the military theme in particular? The Phanteks Enthoo Pro just came out and is better than any case under $200.

Also, you don't really need to bother with the 140mm version. It's overly big for zero benefit on standard Haswell, and has an unproven benefit on Devil's Canyon.

Yes, that military theme looks awesome. :O

The Phanteks case is 2x the cost of the Corsair C70 though. x_x

If I had a case that can fit the H110, I figured I might as well get it since it's only $15 more then the H100i, and as you surmised I am considering them for Devil's Canyon, I know most of us are dreaming 5GHz here, I didn't want to skim on cooling if that's at all possible and the lottery is kind to me. :eek:

mkenyon

Banned
Yes, that military theme looks awesome. :O

The Phanteks case is 2x the cost of the Corsair C70 though. x_x

If I had a case that can fit the H110, I figured I might as well get it since it's only $15 more then the H100i, and as you surmised I am considering them for Devil's Canyon, I know most of us are dreaming 5GHz here, I didn't want to skim on cooling if that's at all possible and the lottery is kind to me. :eek:
The Enthoo Pro is less expensive. You're probably looking at the Enthoo Primo.

I'd like to get in on this. should we PM you, should you post this in the B/S/T thread in order to go through official channels so both parties can be vetted and receive feedback accordingly?

Also take a look at some benchmarks/power usage comparing 4770k to 4790k at stock clocks: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/u...-canyon-review-and-benchmarks-stock-idnum294/

this time it turned out to be about 8c cooler and drew less power... hope this turns out to be true!

mkenyon

Banned
It was long assumed that the proc was drawing a ton more power than it needed to when OC'd due to the fact that heat was just getting out of control and efficiency went out the door. I wonder if that is the case, or if they made some actual changes.

kn1ves24

Anybody know whats the realistic money value for a MSI 570 GTX is used or new? I checked ebay and prices seem to be all over the place for both.

Smokey

I'd like to get in on this. should we PM you, should you post this in the B/S/T thread in order to go through official channels so both parties can be vetted and receive feedback accordingly?

I'm fine with this.

I'll post it over there with names of people I'm doing this for so everything is transparent.

J0dy77

what, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro? yeah, there's
quite
a few posts about it upthread

Disable some of the boot stuff is BIOS. I can't remember off the top of my head. My P8P67 double booted, but I never got oc failed.

You mean the one in the build sheets and having the mATX and ITX version videos being posted in the past few pages? Yeah :p

Just waiting on full release to make sure people can actually buy them, seems like Enthoo Pro is in stock now.

No point in updating mid Computex.

Also always PM build sheet updates to me. No gauntee I'll see it in thread.

Sorry about that, I don't follow this thread that closely and didn't see it in the OP at first glance. Looks like an amazing case though. I'll have to check the posts I missed on it.

mkenyon

Banned
Where are you seeing them at this price? I have been seeing them around $390 and up.

ed- Whoops just saw used now, nevermind.
Yep. ASUS, GB, and MSI all have warranty based on serial #, so it doesn't matter if you're the original owner or not. Basically the only risk in buying one is a very very very slight chance of it being defective, in which case all is made right by the AIB.

scogoth

Need a PC Toronto meetup in July. Scogoth has first round.

I'd be down for that if it will be anything like SC2 GAF Toronto meetups. (Make sure CC is on for the first one)

WHAT

THAT'S MY DREAM CAR YOU KNOW.

STOP BY OLYMPIA ON YOUR WAY BACK TO THE NORTH PLZ.

I thought I told you? Don't think I'll be driving it to Vancouver anytime soon =(

smokey stingray z06 vs scogoth gtr

the roads shall melt

hmmmmmmm road trip to Austin GP?

I'll bring my Impreza

Mitsu for life
...so end of next year *tear*

I'd be interested in this as well.

Ugh I've been to TO-GAF meetups, mostly boring.

Hello, I am Smokey da Don, and I'd like to pre-order 23 4790Ks please. I have a big appetite for chips.

I'm mining bitcoin the manly way!

Smokey

Well I have 5 people including myself. I just called to verify that this was ok and he said he didn't see anything in a memo from his supervisor about it nor in the online ad.

But he did say if they think people are resellers they may put a limit, but for now that's not the case. Either way if that happens I'm sure I'll get an email about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom