• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have 5 people including myself. I just called to verify that this was ok and he said he didn't see anything in a memo from his supervisor about it nor in the online ad.

But he did say if they think people are resellers they may put a limit, but for now that's not the case. Either way if that happens I'm sure I'll get an email about it.

When will the shipment come in?

scogoth

Well I have 5 people including myself. I just called to verify that this was ok and he said he didn't see anything in a memo from his supervisor about it nor in the online ad.

But he did say if they think people are resellers they may put a limit, but for now that's not the case. Either way if that happens I'm sure I'll get an email about it.

You are giving them away for free and charging $270 for shipping.

Stubo

Ok guys so a friend has tasked me with building him a new PC for £1000 (including OS, keyboard and mouse).

This is what I have so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£164.94 @ Amazon UK) -- 4690k on launch ~ £180
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.24 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£106.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£78.10 @ Aria PC) -- Crucial MX100 256Gb ~ £77
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£78.18 @ Aria PC) -- He's requested 3Tb of storage
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II Video Card (£229.99 @ Dabs) -- (Asus DCU II TOP) Torn between this and the Sapphire 280X - seems to offer better value than a 770
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£78.42 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£45.27 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.74 @ CCL Computers) - He wants an optical drive
Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Sentinel Advance II Wired Laser Mouse (£33.99 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Windows 8.1 Pro (Purchased For £10.00)
Total: £957.38 (Closer to £980 with new CPU)

I'm also going to pitch the same build with a Fractal Design Define Mini mATX Case and Asus Z97M-PLUS motherboard for an mATX option.

Any suggestions?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just to confirm my research

No need to get a R290X or 780ti vs just saving the cash and getting the regular R290 right??

***PC BROS THAT WANT A 4790K AKA DEVILS CANYON***

As mentioned on the previous page Microcenter will be selling the 4970k for $279.99 vs the $370 MSRP. I have a MIcrocenter up the street from me. I am willing to pre-order and ship to whomever is looking to upgrade, but doesn't have a MC nearby.

So far I have reserved one for myself and one other person. Payment is not due until you pick up instore, so you can wait until the day of release (7/4) to transfer funds via Paypal.

I want to take you up on this...

mkenyon

Banned
Just to confirm my research

No need to get a R290X or 780ti vs just saving the cash and getting the regular R290 right??
It's all relative. If you want extra performance, sure. But right now, the 290 is stupid good for the price, especially when you snag one used.

Smokey

Can I get put down for the 4790k preorder?

Yes. Please PM me though and I will provide details.

Noren you racist did you want to do this? If so I'll add you two and check the b/s/t thread. I'll probably stop here though as I'm nervous they're gonna cancel all of these on me .

appaws

Banned
Is Microcenter doing that deal for a limited time only...? Or is that gonna be their regular price...?

I wasn't gonna jump this soon at Z97 and a new CPU, but a drive over to Cincinnati might be in order.

But I just bought a riding mower a few days ago...wife not gonna be happy!

Burt

Holy crap I just put my first build ever together and it all turned on and worked out right on the first try. God damn, it felt awesome. I expected at least the LEDs on the case to be plugged in wrong or something considering that I pretty much just skimmed the documentation, but everything's fine so far. Hardest part was actually installing the heatsink due to absolutely abysmal documentation. And god damn, SSDs are absolutely magical. Have a second internal hard drive formatting right now, so fingers crossed for that. I feel like I'm doing something wrong because I read so much about BIOS configuration and all that stuff, but I basically just plugged in my SSD, installed Windows, cracked the case back open and plugged in the mechanical drive, and now it's formatting.

Also, I think 60 FPS makes me motion sick :(

Booted up some Nosgoth to try out the 280 (was going to get a 280x but Microcenter had a 280 on clearance for $200 and I figure I'll just do some over clocking to bring it as close as possible), and it's toooooo fast. Gotta over clock the 2500k that I'm recycling too.

Also, cable management is an art that I am so heinously far from mastering. It looks like a jungle in there.

Edit: and, this is kind of JV, but I didn't have an adapter mount or Velcro for the SSD so I actually stuck it onto a drive mount with some masking tape... Any chance of long term problems from that?

kharma45

Holy crap I just put my first build ever together and it all turned on and worked out right on the first try. God damn, it felt awesome. I expected at least the LEDs on the case to be plugged in wrong or something considering that I pretty much just skimmed the documentation, but everything's fine so far. Hardest part was actually installing the heatsink due to absolutely abysmal documentation. And god damn, SSDs are absolutely magical. Have a second internal hard drive formatting right now, so fingers crossed for that. I feel like I'm doing something wrong because I read so much about BIOS configuration and all that stuff, but I basically just plugged in my SSD, installed Windows, cracked the case back open and plugged in the mechanical drive, and now it's formatting.

Also, I think 60 FPS makes me motion sick :(

Booted up some Nosgoth to try out the 280 (was going to get a 280x but Microcenter had a 280 on clearance for $200 and I figure I'll just do some over clocking to bring it as close as possible), and it's toooooo fast. Gotta over clock the 2500k that I'm recycling too.

Also, cable management is an art that I am so heinously far from mastering. It looks like a jungle in there.

280 for that money is a good deal. Clock for clock there isn't a huge difference between the 280 and 280X. It should see you well.

scogoth

I had the same problem when I upgraded from my C2Q to an i7.

There's only one cure.
120Hz

Playing BF4 today was terrible, felt so slow and uncompetitive. Turns out it was at 60Hz (happens on its own sometimes after driver crashes) and switching back to 120Hz was like god opened the heavens.

NoRéN

Noren you racist did you want to do this? If so I'll add you two and check the b/s/t thread. I'll probably stop here though as I'm nervous they're gonna cancel all of these on me .
I'm not! Some of my best friends are smokeys.

Thanks. I guess I'm just debating if it's worth the upgrade over the 4770k. And, I would also need a new motherboard.

Serandur

Playing BF4 today was terrible, felt so slow and uncompetitive. Turns out it was at 60Hz (happens on its own sometimes after driver crashes) and switching back to 120Hz was like god opened the heavens.

4K, 120Hz, IPS, and ~2ms or less monitors... when will those exist? :p

Smokey

NoRéN;114913477 said:
I'm not! Some of my best friends are smokeys.

Thanks. I guess I'm just debating if it's worth the upgrade over the 4770k. And, I would also need a new motherboard.

Lol

That a yes? Add you?

Think of it as preparing for Broadwell with the Z97.

I have a problem with my latest build:
I'm using this setup:
Itek Case nCUBE Mini ITX 200W PSU Full Black
ASUS H81I-PLUS
Crucial M500 SSD SATA 120 GB, 6 GB/s, 2.5
Intel Core i3-4130T
Corsair Ddr3 1600Mhz 4G 2X240Dimm

Basically, the power button doesn't seem to work. I checked all the cables multiple times, and the LED on the mother board turns on as soon as I plug the power. But when I press the power button, nothing happens. I suspected it might have been an issue with the connectors (PWR LED, PWR HD LED and PWR WR), but after plugging and unplugging them multiple times, and in different orientations, nothing changes (yes, I read the motherboard's instructions). Am I missing something? Does the polarity matter?

mkenyon

Banned
I have a problem with my latest build:
I'm using this setup:
Itek Case nCUBE Mini ITX 200W PSU Full Black
ASUS H81I-PLUS
Crucial M500 SSD SATA 120 GB, 6 GB/s, 2.5
Intel Core i3-4130T
Corsair Ddr3 1600Mhz 4G 2X240Dimm

Basically, the power button doesn't seem to work. I checked all the cables multiple times, and the LED on the mother board turns on as soon as I plug the power. But when I press the power button, nothing happens. I suspected it might have been an issue with the connectors (PWR LED, PWR HD LED and PWR WR), but after plugging and unplugging them multiple times, and in different orientations, nothing changes (yes, I read the motherboard's instructions). Am I missing something? Does the polarity matter?
Try shorting the two power pins on the motherboard.

Try just using the PWR plugs, leaving off the rest (HDD LED/reset/etc). Reverse orientation. If it works, start adding another thing at a time.

Ok I plugged the pins the on one at a time (power->LED->HDD LED) and turned it on each time. It worked every time...go figure. :/ thanks for the support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom