• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSix

Banned
Alright, but I want a good enough sound chip. A Gigabyte G1.Sniper B5 would be good?

I updated my config, poor amazon guys where about to deliver the other one when I changed it:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (EUR 164,97)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper B5 (EUR 98,84)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (EUR 69,49)
Storage: Samsung MZ-7TE120BW SSD 840 EVO BASIC 2,5" 120 Go SATA (EUR 84,52)
Video Card: Sapphire 11217-01-20G AMD R9 270X 1020 MHz 4096 PCI Express (EUR 195,55)
Case: Reusing old case (If cooling becomes a problem I could opt for a corsair 300r or 500r)
Power Supply: Reusing old power supply (a Corsair 550HX)
Total: 613€

Basically just 13€ more euros, except this time I have a 4GB graphic card and a much better mobo sound chip.

edit:
For my build I used a msi b85m p33, the only downside being that it only has a single pcie slot. Any b85 board that fits your case should do. Most boards have good enough sound these days, get asoundcard if it's really important for you

Damn! Well the difference is less than 20€, I'll keep it.

bigkrev

Alright, i'm at my Wits end.

SOMETHING in my computer is making a horrible buzzing noise at random intervals, regardless of load (last night, it was doing it all night when the only thing running was the uPlay downloader for AssCreed4, this morning, when shutting Windows down to install updates). I confirmed its not the HDD, because it's not even connected anymore. And i'm pretty sure it isn't airflow- I went in and re-wired the entire computer, being sure to run things behind the case so that its a nice and clean case. It has to be either the CPU (i'm running a stock cooler and not overclocking), or the GPU (Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB). Most of what I read is that it could be a fan issue or coil whine, but those are issues that would seemingly only come up under a heavy load- this is occurring when no games are running, and the load is pretty light. I'm probably going to take my GPU out and see if that fixes it, but if that does, what is the issue I can RMA it under?

This whole thing is driving me crazy as a first time builder!

EDIT: Should note that my PSU is a new Corsair 700W Gaming series (Was on clearance at bestbuy.com for a price cheaper than most 550 W PSUs)

GHG

Gold Member
Thanks. I also used Anandtech's bench tool to compare the two and that lines up with better performance.

The only small issue I can see is that under load, the 270x runs 6-8 deg. Celsius hotter than the 7870. Would that be a significant enough increase to negatively affect the longevity? And what's the best affordable cooling solution for it?

Sorry for the questions - I appreciate the help. Thanks again.

In a nutshell, no.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just RMA'd my MSI twin frozr 7950 boost edition 3GB. In case the supplier doesn't have another one to replace it exactly, what suggstions would you have for an alternative? Either what would be acceptable as 'equivalent performance' for a replacement, or perhaps some alternatives in case they let me throw £100-200 on top to get something a little faster

(They only have one 7950 in stock and that's a Sapphire which I wouldn't accept as an alternative to a twin frozr boost.)

I have a bitfenix prodigy so I think I'm limited to twin slot GPUs? and I think I have a corsair 650GS PSU

HoosTrax

I have a bitfenix prodigy so I think I'm limited to twin slot GPUs?
Two PCI slots, but the cooler can be somewhat wider than two.

So something like this would still fit:
computex2012-sapphire,X-U-340770-13.jpg

I don't see too many three slot cards anymore. ASUS did have some a couple of years ago.

Shambles

Well, looks like I've won the Seagate lottery as none of my Seagate drives have failed in the past several years. *knocks on every piece of wood in sight*.

Interestingly, two drives proved to be so unreliable in Backblaze's storage pods that they were left out of the totals completely. Seagate's Barracuda LP 2TB and WD's Green 3TB "start accumulating errors as soon as they are put into production," the company says. It thinks vibration might be part of the problem. Other Barracuda LP and Green models seem unfazed, though.

Ugh, most of my WD drives in use right now are the 3TB greens.

There's not enough info here, as you don't tell us how you achieved the over-clock.
If you just turned up the multiplier, and left everything else alone, then the system will probably just have increased the voltage as it saw fit. While this might work, the motherboard will err on the side of caution and probably apply more voltage than you strictly require. More voltage means more heat.

I would not recommend over-clocking using the stock cooler, as it's not designed to deal with the temperatures you might be hitting.

I have my 3570K at 4.5Ghz using an offset over-clock of about +0.125v. It can go higher, but I prefer to stay under 50 degrees (I'm using water). You will have to go through some trial and error before you find what values work for you. Get a decent cooler, start with 4.4Ghz and see how you go.

For what it's worth, Asus have some good articles for over-clocking with their hardware. Even if you don't have a RoG board, the concepts may still be useful:

http://rog.asus.com/184142012/maximus-motherboards/guide-overclocking-the-core-i5-3570k-to-4-5ghz-on-the-maximus-v-gene/

http://rog.asus.com/51092012/overclocking/overclocking-using-offset-mode-for-cpu-core-voltage/
Thanks and my bad, I didn't mess with anything else but I reset everything back to factory default. I will read up more once I am able to get an aftermarket cpu cooler. Would a cooler master hyper 212 evo be good enough?

Jibbed

Well, looks like I've won the Seagate lottery as none of my Seagate drives have failed in the past several years. *knocks on every piece of wood in sight*.

That's pretty damn awful considering the huge amount of drives they must sell.

For the past week now I haven't been able to get to paypal on my desktop. Works fine on my laptop or tablet, but no go on my desktop. I've tried both Chrome and IE. No luck. I don't know if it's a virus or what as every other site works fine and I've run multiple virus scans and found nothing.

What the hell?

SleazyC

SOMETHING in my computer is making a horrible buzzing noise at random intervals, regardless of load (last night, it was doing it all night when the only thing running was the uPlay downloader for AssCreed4, this morning, when shutting Windows down to install updates). I confirmed its not the HDD, because it's not even connected anymore. And i'm pretty sure it isn't airflow- I went in and re-wired the entire computer, being sure to run things behind the case so that its a nice and clean case. It has to be either the CPU (i'm running a stock cooler and not overclocking), or the GPU (Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB). Most of what I read is that it could be a fan issue or coil whine, but those are issues that would seemingly only come up under a heavy load- this is occurring when no games are running, and the load is pretty light. I'm probably going to take my GPU out and see if that fixes it, but if that does, what is the issue I can RMA it under?

EDIT: Should note that my PSU is a new Corsair 700W Gaming series (Was on clearance at bestbuy.com for a price cheaper than most 550 W PSUs)
Best way is to attempt to test each component individually, or as individually as you can.

Since the noise seems to be occurring regardless of what you are doing you should be ok to test each piece without having to trigger any sort of behavior that causes the sound. If you boot up into the BIOS and stay there do you still notice the sound?

Check all your screws that hold fans, could be one of them is loose, which would cause the case to vibrate, causing all sorts of ruckus. Could also be your PCI-e slot, when you slide in your card there should be a little locking mechanism. Ensure that's locked and that the faceplate(where the inputs are) is properly secured to the case. Also, buy a can of compressed air, or a little vacuum blower and make sure nothing is impeding any of your fans, including the ones on your video card.

Abdozer

Anyone mind helping out a bit? Sorry if self-quotes aren't allowed.

Hey guys, a friend wants to build the best gaming PC for his budget. He just purchased a GTX Titan off eBay for 600$ and is putting the rest of the build in place. Any of you folks think this is a good build? Feel free to swap out parts. No HDD or SSD chosen yet.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($192.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($162.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($168.91 @ Amazon)
Total: $919.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-21 07:10 EST-0500)

He'll also be getting the CPU and RAM off eBay so those will be a little cheaper, his max budget is 1600$ give or take, Titan included.

Abdozer

Maybe go down to 8GB and use that savings plus any left over for a SSD. With that rig I wouldn't leave that out.

Yeah I've been talking to him about getting an SSD but he doesn't seem to need one right now. Do you know if that case will fit a Titan though? Considering that and the motherboard are micro ATX.

bigkrev

Best way is to attempt to test each component individually, or as individually as you can.

Since the noise seems to be occurring regardless of what you are doing you should be ok to test each piece without having to trigger any sort of behavior that causes the sound. If you boot up into the BIOS and stay there do you still notice the sound?

Check all your screws that hold fans, could be one of them is loose, which would cause the case to vibrate, causing all sorts of ruckus. Could also be your PCI-e slot, when you slide in your card there should be a little locking mechanism. Ensure that's locked and that the faceplate(where the inputs are) is properly secured to the case. Also, buy a can of compressed air, or a little vacuum blower and make sure nothing is impeding any of your fans, including the ones on your video card.

Thanks guys, i'll try this stuff when I come home from work today.

Sinistral

I want to upgrade my GPU. Currently have a GTX560 TIOC and a 2500k(sandybridge) processor.

I'm thinking either GTX760 or GTX770, they should work fine with my system right?

This is the model I'm looking at currently:
http://kakaku.com/item/K0000525088/

Any recommendations?

Similar question. However my system is a i7 930 at 4ghz, 12 gigs of ram, currently on a GTX460 (had 2 for SLI but one went kaput). Main gaming monitor is 1920x1200.

What would you recommend for us?

Yeah I've been talking to him about getting an SSD but he doesn't seem to need one right now. Do you know if that case will fit a Titan though? Considering that and the motherboard are micro ATX.

A computer is sped up incredibly much by the addition of a SSD, you don't "need" one, but you should want one. Having such a high-end PC without a SSD is just silly.

kennah

Similar question. However my system is a i7 930 at 4ghz, 12 gigs of ram, currently on a GTX460 (had 2 for SLI but one went kaput). Main gaming monitor is 1920x1200.

For both it basically comes down to what you want to spend. I don't personally see a point to the 770. It is only 10-15% faster than the 760 and costs $100 more. 780s are great if you can afford the $500. Amd cards are universally overpriced right now thanks to the coin boom.

Get what you want. Upgrade when it feels slow.

Smokey

Yes he does need one, he just doesn't realize it yet.

Adry9

Hey guys I'm looking for a wireless mouse and keyboard, not for gaming just browsing the web & stuff. I'm also looking for a wi-fi USB adapter, any recomendations?

Hello PC GAF. I have decided that I would like to make my PC more portable for my needs.

Currently this is everything I have.

I would like to try and make the PC smaller (so that would mean new motherboard, new case, and possibly new other stuff). I have been thinking about the Prodigy, but I am not so sure about cable management. I would like to stay air cooled if possible.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Skinpop

For both it basically comes down to what you want to spend. I don't personally see a point to the 770. It is only 10-15% faster than the 760 and costs $100 more. 780s are great if you can afford the $500. Amd cards are universally overpriced right now thanks to the coin boom.

Get what you want. Upgrade when it feels slow.

so something like a GTX 760 oc 4gb would be more value for the money?

mkenyon

Banned
Would I see a notable improvement in performance on emulators, specifically PCSX2 and Dolphin moving from an i7-870 Lynnfield to a Haswell - probably a 4770k?

I've been needing to change motherboards anyway and have been putting it off, but I'm wondering the IPC improvements are enough to be a noticeable difference in those applications now?
Absolutely. Very big gains.
For the past week now I haven't been able to get to paypal on my desktop. Works fine on my laptop or tablet, but no go on my desktop. I've tried both Chrome and IE. No luck. I don't know if it's a virus or what as every other site works fine and I've run multiple virus scans and found nothing.

What the hell?
Clear cookies, maybe even reinstall the browser.

760 offers the best value out of the nice cards, but really, pick a price point you like and go for it.

thespot84

NoRéN;97904354 said:
Was rapid mode enabled on default for you?
I don't honestly remember, though I'd guess no, and during the setup of the samsung magician it said FASTER! so I clicked the button. Though I don't remember reading: "enabling this will take a lot of system RAM and make it disappear".

Where are you finding this magical cheap RAM?
Black Friday.

Epix

Question:

I'm looking at this motherboard, however I have a headset/mic that uses the 5 analog input connector (which this mobo doesn't seem to have). Instead it includes a SupremeFX Impact Audio Card with 3 digital connections. How do I fit the square peg into the round hole?

Thanks.

Dave_6

I need a quieter fan to replace the one that came with my Corsair H60. Should I go with one of the Corsair AF120/SP120s or a Noctua?

Josh378

question about Video Cards:

XFX and Sapphire r9 290's....Is there a quality difference between each card? (XFX is sold out)

Also, I saw this on Newegg:

SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC 100362-2SR Radeon R9 290 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202079

$599

And On Amazon for $499

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJOXUKC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thats alot of Money for a R9 290 that can't be overclocked to a 290x. So I was thinking of swallowing my pride and get the $649 Sapphire 290x:

For $50 more to get 20% more could be worth it...so whats your opinion on this?

mkenyon

Banned
I need a quieter fan to replace the one that came with my Corsair H60. Should I go with one of the Corsair AF120/SP120s or a Noctua?
Use your motherboard to quiet it down. It's otherwise the same fan as the SP120.
Question:

I'm looking at this motherboard, however I have a headset/mic that uses the 5 analog input connector (which this mobo doesn't seem to have). Instead it includes a SupremeFX Impact Audio Card with 3 digital connections. How do I fit the square peg into the round hole?

Thanks.
A quick google says there's some fairly pricey adapters for it.

XFX and Sapphire r9 290's....Is there a quality difference between each card? (XFX is sold out)

$599

And On Amazon for $499

Thats alot of Money for a R9 290 that can't be overclocked to a 290x. So I was thinking of swallowing my pride and get the $649 Sapphire 290x:

If you wait just a tad longer, the MSRP on those should come back down to $400 and $550.
Don't buy a 290 right now. The price is jacked up WAY to high because of bitcoin mining. You would be better off getting a 780.
Yeah, this too. That's the only card I'd consider buying at that price right now. G-Sync and Shadowplay are icing on the cake.

DarkFlow

Banned

$599

And On Amazon for $499

Don't buy a 290 right now. The price is jacked up WAY to high because of bitcoin mining. You would be better off getting a 780.

14 percent failure rate for something as important as storage? how do they even dare sell these things, haha wow

Josh378

Yea, I agree with you guys on the video cards, but I brought all the parts for my new PC build but the video card ( so I have to make a decision now). So, you think in terms of features, will Mantle or/vs G-Sync become the defacto industry standard? I just want to make sure that If I buy a $500 card, I want to be future proof for at least a year and a half for high-end gaming. That's my main worry for ATI vs Nvidia...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yea, I agree with you guys on the video cards, but I brought all the parts for my new PC build but the video card ( so I have to make a decision now). So, you think in terms of features, will Mantle or/vs G-Sync become the defacto industry standard? I just want to make sure that If I buy a $500 card, I want to be future proof for at least a year and a half for end gaming. That's my main worry for ATI vs Nvidia...
If you can buy an aftermarket cooled 290 (with 2 or 3 fans) then it's not even bad at $500, problem is finding stock.

It's a tossup, neither will probably be standard (Thinking Freesync?) and both AMD and nVidia have their own benefits.

kennah

Yea, I agree with you guys on the video cards, but I brought all the parts for my new PC build but the video card ( so I have to make a decision now). So, you think in terms of features, will Mantle or/vs G-Sync become the defacto industry standard? I just want to make sure that If I buy a $500 card, I want to be future proof for at least a year and a half for end gaming. That's my main worry for ATI vs Nvidia...

Neither will become a defacto standard in the next year and a half. And technology won't magically change stopping your existing card from working. You'll easily get a year and a half out of any $500 card.

They're also very different things... Mantle is a programming API and G-Sync is a variable refresh standard.

Yea, I agree with you guys on the video cards, but I brought all the parts for my new PC build but the video card ( so I have to make a decision now). So, you think in terms of features, will Mantle or/vs G-Sync become the defacto industry standard? I just want to make sure that If I buy a $500 card, I want to be future proof for at least a year and a half for high-end gaming. That's my main worry for ATI vs Nvidia...

You can't compare those features. They both can become standard. Most likely they won't anytime soon, but they can. Decide what you would rather want, potential performance increases or G-Sync. I personally prefer G-Sync, but you may not even buy a monitor with support for it anyway.

Also, because of the bitcoin mining AMD cards may be overpriced and I prefer the additional features of NVidia such as Shadowplay.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I keep flip flopping on what Card to get. I think i'm not even going to waste the money on a 780 right now and just get a 770. I have a 1600x900 monitor and don't plan on getting a 1080P one anytime soon. I figure a 770 running at 1600x900 should Max out everything for a good long time.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I keep flip flopping on what Card to get. I think i'm not even going to waste the money on a 780 right now and just get a 770. I have a 1600x900 monitor and don't plan on getting a 1080P one anytime soon. I figure a 770 running at 1600x900 should Max out everything for a good long time.
Just get a 760 then

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I want it to last awhile, I fig a 770 will last a bit longer then a 760.
Performance difference is pretty minimal and if you stay on 900p it's even less important to have the extra $ spent since both are 2GB cards. I'd save the $100. People think $250 GPU is like middle-ish, but it's nearly on par with a 670 and I run that and run everything on High 1080 and get well over 60FPS

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Does an SSD really make that significant of a difference? I feel like it's the only piece I'm missing with my new toy (and a new monitor but I'll wait for the prices to drop on 4K).

link to build below:
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Lng
If you spend that much and don't get an SSD you are insane.
Also get this paste instead: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00117OV56/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (Save a few bucks for same 'performance')
I'm getting the 4gb 770 because BF4 eats that shit up.
BF4 was the only thing I had to turn down AA from something high to something lower because it did hit the 2GB (barely) at 1080p.

So yeah I'd suggest a 280X or a 770GB at that point, if BF4 is a big thing for you you may want the AMD card.

DarkFlow

Banned
If you spend that much and don't get an SSD you are insane.

BF4 was the only thing I had to turn down AA from something high to something lower because it did hit the 2GB (barely) at 1080p.

So yeah I'd suggest a 280X or a 770GB at that point, if BF4 is a big thing for you you may want the AMD card.

I would totally get a 280 or 290, but the pricing with the bitcoin stuff is driving me insane. I would have thought it would go down by now.

Guy, just get a used 660TI and ride it out. At 1600x900, downsample from 2160x1215 or something and apply 2xAA. Grab something from the next release of cards if you need it(big if though).

DarkFlow

Banned
Guy, just get a used 660TI and ride it out. At 1600x900, downsample from 2160x1215 or something and apply 2xAA. Grab something from the next release of cards if you need it(big if though).

I'm not buying a used video card that someone has most likely used to with in a inch of it's life. Plus a 660ti is hard to find now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom