• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackage

Hey guys I picked up the 512GB MX100, should I install my OS on here or just use it as an extra drive and install my games to it?

knitoe

Hey guys I picked up the 512GB MX100, should I install my OS on here or just use it as an extra drive and install my games to it?

If your OS isn't already on a SSD, then, install it asap on the MX100. With the left over space, you can install games on it. Steammover is another simple easy option to move games from HDD to SSD and back.

Mohasus

My Cooler Master Hyper 612 is making some weird noises so I ordered an h100i.

What is the most efficient way to mount it?

I have a Phantom 410, 2 aerocool sharks (don't need to use them unless they make a big difference) and a 3570k @4.2Ghz stock voltage. I can probably overclock it a little more, but a quiet system is my priority.

Addnan

Anyone have issues with hissing on the Xonar DGX? It was working fine up until today. Everything is making a hissing sound. Not sure what could be causing an interference if it is that, haven't changed anything. I did try plugging it into another PCIE slot, did not help, tried another headset and speaker still hissing. Only left channel. Help. Onboard work fine.

edit: This guy has same issue and getting a new card didn't help nooo. http://www.overclock.net/t/1368129/xonar-dgx-crackling-hissing

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I don't know how long they've been doing it, but Monoprice started selling "gaming" monitors. There are only five of them. Can anyone tell if they are good or not ? And are they good deals ?
IIRC they are the A- Korean panels, but ship from US pretty much.

You can get a Nixeus DP panel for the same price ($400) and they both have 1 YR warranty and the Nixeus panels are supposed to be A/A+.

FWIW
My Cooler Master Hyper 612 is making some weird noises so I ordered an h100i.

What is the most efficient way to mount it?

I have a Phantom 410, 2 aerocool sharks (don't need to use them unless they make a big difference) and a 3570k @4.2Ghz stock voltage. I can probably overclock it a little more, but a quiet system is my priority.
Whatever doesn't cause you frustration, you have basically no load. I would have just replaced the fan TBH. Hopefully pump isn't too loud for ya. LMK
Anyone have issues with hissing on the Xonar DGX? It was working fine up until today. Everything is making a hissing sound. Not sure what could be causing an interference if it is that, haven't changed anything. I did try plugging it into another PCIE slot, did not help, tried another headset and speaker still hissing. Only left channel. Help. Onboard work fine.

edit: This guy has same issue and getting a new card didn't help nooo. http://www.overclock.net/t/1368129/xonar-dgx-crackling-hissing
Dunno never had that problem.
I'm starting to get worried now.

As many of you know, I build my first PC around 2 months ago and bought a legal copy of Windows 7 Home Premium from Reddit.

I haven't gotten any reply from the seller since I wrote him, so now I'm stuck with a copy which is not genuine. =;( Super sad.

Besides that, my computer hangs at the desktop (probably to check if it's a genuine copy), so it can take a few minutes until I can use it, when it starts up.
Unfortunate, PM a mod on the subreddit. Most of those accounts popup and then leave.

eek5

Amazon Warehouse Deals.
  • Stock: 6
  • Condition Very Good
$332.69 Gigabyte R9 290X (GV-R929XOC-4GD)
FOB5Qdjpg

Damn nice. I got one. I've had pretty good experiences with Amazon Warehouse. Bought a lens from them once and it was missing some of the accessories that come with it and they gave me a 10% discount. Hopefully this is in good working condition.

edit: maan that thing got really bad reviews. Even accounting for vocal minority.. seems like half of them end up dead in the first week. Crossing my fingers :(

Smokey

I have a new respect for PC Hardware Reviewers. Finally got my build up and running. I'll detail some of the issues I had after some pics:

Specs:

Case - Corsair Air 540
Motherboard - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU - Core i7 4930k
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Graphics - 3x GTX Titan Black
Fans - 3x 120mm Corsair AF120s HP, 4x Corsair SP120
Cooling - Corsair H100i
PSU - Evga Supernova 1300w
Storage - 2TB HDD, 1x 750GB Samsung Evo SSD,1x 120GB Intel SSD,
Other - White sleeved EVGA PSU cables, EVGA 3 way Pro SLI bridge, Nzxt Sentry Mix 2 fan controller

Overview:

14412052181_1027a29991_h.jpg

EVGA Power Supply Set + 3 way SLI Pro Bridge:

14228803858_7b5b9c8ff7_h.jpg

14228960127_ee985dd02e_h.jpg

]
14228764209_7b94c69e8b_h.jpg

Corsair Air 540:

14429397605_b3d5ea06a0_h.jpg

w/ 3x Corsair AF120s

14406267456_f79f62cf7d_h.jpg

Rampage IV Black Edition

14242749389_a84cfe3c09_h.jpg

14428085162_d9d3713a4c_h.jpg

All together (cable management is a mess will of course address later)

14428087832_c278d45010_h.jpg

14426048371_e13f9f53d0_h.jpg

I need to do something with the fan cables from the push/pull setup. They are going into the H100i pump using Y cables. I may have to get some extenders because it cannot stay how it currently is. Would love to have them running through the back.
I used the red cable from the original PSU package. The white sleeved cables I ordered only came with two 2 x 6+2pin + 6pin PCI-E VGA Cables. Rather than use adapters or combining the numerous 6+2pin cables they included, I just went with the red. There's red accents on the board so I guess it kind of works out *shrug*

Front w/ ROG OC Panel + Fan controller
14406278826_abe66e03d9_h.jpg

The OC panel lets you OC on the fly without having to go into BIOS to make changes. Tells you your CPU temp and other readings.

The cables:

14449586623_41d5f94acd_h.jpg

Corsair H100 in push/pull

14428089392_b44a2323c5_h.jpg

I have these setup as intakes as well as the 3 120mm in the front. The rear 140mm fan as an exhaust.

3x Titan Blacks w/ EVGA Pro SLI Bridge:

14429406035_129ca169c4_h.jpg

14242806460_ba9f34aa93_h.jpg

So many pretty lights! lol

14426050881_ce6736d59f_h.jpg

6 cores running cool:

KV7PMM8.jpg

It's been an experience.

Push/pull was a bitch to get installed. The Corsair SP120 fans don't naturally fit on the rear due to the rubber part of the fan. I've seen some pics where people have got it in, but you really have to apply pressure to do so and I didn't feel like going through all of that. Why they haven't fixed this yet is beyond me. Apparently it's been like this for awhile.

First issue I had was the board only recognizing 12GB of RAM. I took everything out and started back up and...nothing. Turns out the 24 pin ATX cable came undone. Ok. Plugged back in and got code 55 on the LED. Memory not initialized or incompatible. Took them out again and re arranged them, gave it another go and it worked.

3-way SLI wouldn't enable. NVCP would only see 2 cards even though the third was in the system:

900x900px-LL-a05529eb_NVCP.jpeg

So I took the cards out and tried them in a different order. In the process I noticed that the Rampage IV Black Edition has a 4 pin Molex EZ Plug next to the audio connector. A look in the manual shows this is to supply extra power to the board when using 3+ GPUs. Took care of that and now everything is good:

900x900px-LL-812a3c02_3way.jpeg

Also kept getting a msvcp100.dll missing error whenever I tried to run anything GPU related. So I had to look around for a fix and finally found one. Applied and worked.

So yeah this has been my weekend. There's tons to dig into and this board is made for OC, but I'm not in the mood for all of that right now. Everything is stock. Will address cable management next. For anybody else that has a push/pull config, any idea of how to get rid of all the cables. Extenders the only option here?

thespot84

does any else get really wild skipping/lag when using the nvidia control panel. Whenever I change a setting my computer hangs and i can hear the sound buffer cycling for like 5 seconds, then goes back to normal

Smokey

Dear merciful god, how much was this PC? :eek:

Did you take out a PC note with a bank? rofl.

Did you list out the entire build anywhere?

Here's full specs for the machine

Specs:

Case - Corsair Air 540
CPU - Core i7 4930k
Cooling - Corsair H100i
PSU - Evga Supernova G2 1300w
Other - White sleeved EVGA PSU cables, EVGA 3 way Pro SLI bridge, Nzxt Sentry Mix 2 fan controller

Damn Smokey, I'm jealous man. Looks good.

Not sure when I'm going to get my new rig up. I want to do it before Dragon Age comes out on PC and after the CPUs hit later this month. I don't know if to wait on new GPUs though because it seems like they're not going to make it into this year.

Could do with a little advice, just mulling some stuff over.

Thinking of doing some upgrades towards the end of the year / early next.

Just pulling my build from my order history (PcCaseGear - Australia)

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Gigabyte Radeon HD6950 1GB Overclocked x2 in Crossfire
Corsair HX-750 Power Supply
Western Digital Green 1TB WD10EARS
Intel Core i7 2600

Thinking new GPU, maybe some more Ram and possibly a SSD (if the wallet is in a good mood).

With the GPU I was considering a 780 or a R9 290, especially if the price has dropped towards the end of the year / with the release of the 8xx series.

Power supply and Mono, all good?

Thanks for any input guys, really do appreciate it.

MRORANGE

Specs:

Case - Corsair Air 540
CPU - Core i7 4930k
Cooling - Corsair H100i

Mother of god, can't imagine what the electric bill is like, how is downsampling?

Addnan

Specs:

Case - Corsair Air 540
CPU - Core i7 4930k
Cooling - Corsair H100i
Needs more dom plats.

Make sure to post up some pic when it's al tidied up too. Overclocked the. 4930K yet?

Smokey

Mother of god, can't imagine what the electric bill is like, how is downsampling?

Dunno. Haven't tried much of anything yet. I'm on a 4k monitor anyway, so not sure how much more downsampling I really need :p

Needs more dom plats.

Make sure to post up some pic when it's al tidied up too. Overclocked the. 4930K yet?

No OC yet. Need to let my mind settle down and the machine sit for a bit. Literally been troubleshooting for the majority of the weekend. I also don't want to see another fan for a long while.

Rommel

Man, I just don't know what to do.

I want to upgrade from my old, noisy and power consuming GTX 480.

The 750 ti seems to be a really good equivalent for a mere $150 and consumes so much less power it would probably even have an effect on my bills, haha.

The 760 seems to be really, really more powerful card for just $100 more...so there's that too.

AND I kinda want to wait for the 800 series, I read that they would be even cheaper, more effective and less power consuming...but that's not until 2015 I guess. :/

I'd go to eBay and pick up one of the 290x or 290s miners are dumping on the market. Picked up 2 290x's for 600 to tide me over until the 880s come around.

Rur0ni

No OC yet. Need to let my mind settle down and the machine sit for a bit. Literally been troubleshooting for the majority of the weekend. I also don't want to see another fan for a long while.
I know that feel. Just happy to have things working. Jelly at the 3x Titan Blacks. I'm really ready for Maxwell + Haswell-E before I do another proper revamp.

Stubo

I'd suggest the ASUS Xonar DGX over the DG. Maybe also consider the 212 EVO over the T4 for your heatsink.

2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance LP is a fine choice for RAM unless you've got anything specific you'd like with regard to speeds or colour schemes?

Edit: To add some explanation, PCI-E will be supported on future boards, where PCI legacy slots are less likely to be around in the future. This will also allow you to put the sound card above your GPU, therefore being out of the way of air intake, and also stops it blocking the slot where a crossfire/SLI GPU would be if you ever went in that direction.

Alright, just added the ram and fixed the heatsink and sound card. I intend on keeping the graphics card since it seems like a good fit from what I hear. Now, I need to choose a new mouse and keyboard. Are the ones the OP has the best or are there better ones? I intend on playing lots of mmos and FPS game on my new PC.

Motherboard: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JKCHDEU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Graphics: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JJJW4Z2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

SSD: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFAGCWK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Case: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JE8KXUQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Heatsink: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sound Card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TMZ1BK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Power Supply: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ISCG6MI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Optical drive: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033Z2BAQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

RAM: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00569K7LM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Smokey showing everyone up.

God damn, it's beautiful.

Can it run Solitaire?

ekgrey

Beautiful, Smokey. Loved following your project the last few months. I'll never be in that range but I'm glad I've been able to watch you play. :p

Is that a Samsung U28D590D? Been eyeing that one myself. What kinda games do you mostly play? I tend to be single player so I'm thinking the resolution is more important than refresh rate for emersion but I just keep going back and forth. How is support for 4K with new releases? How do indies and older games hold up? How about UI and Windows? I've thought that maybe 1440p would be better for now.

knitoe

Smokey.

You need to replace the red cables with a white one. Doesn't go with the rest of your theme. Also, the rear fan doesn't match. Pretty sure, you are already buying replacements. Otherwise, awesome build. I am still waiting for Haswell-E.

Stubo

Alright, just added the ram and fixed the heatsink and sound card. I intend on keeping the graphics card since it seems like a good fit from what I hear. Now, I need to choose a new mouse and keyboard. Are the ones the OP has the best or are there better ones? I intend on playing lots of mmos and FPS game on my new PC.
At least grab it from Newegg as M3z_ suggested and save yourself an easy $100 :)

As for keyboards and mice the OP has a great selection of them. There are of course others which perform well, but they're seen to not be as good on a price/performance basis.

Mice in particular are a very personal decision, decide how many buttons you'd like, where you think you'd like them and figure out which grip you're going to use. I'd really recommend trying them out before you buy them if this is at all possible.

That said I'll throw out the Logitech G700s as a recommendation for a balanced mouse for MMOs and FPS, it has lots of buttons and I personally get on very well with the G700 from a comfort standpoint. Obviously it entirely depends on the features that you prioritise and how much you're willing to spend.

You can't go far wrong with any of the keyboards in the OP, again it's a case of the features that you want.

Smokey I just don't know how to respond to your amazing build. It's going to be crazy when you catch the water cooling bug too - I'm already jealous enough!

Smokey

Damn Smokey that is one amazing build! :O

Smokey showing everyone up.

God damn, it's beautiful.

Can it run Solitaire?

Beautiful, Smokey. Loved following your project the last few months. I'll never be in that range but I'm glad I've been able to watch you play. :p

Is that a Samsung U28D590D? Been eyeing that one myself. What kinda games do you mostly play? I tend to be single player so I'm thinking the resolution is more important than refresh rate for emersion but I just keep going back and forth. How is support for 4K with new releases? How do indies and older games hold up? How about UI and Windows? I've thought that maybe 1440p would be better for now.

Thank you

I mostly play FPS and any games that are considered gpu intensive. 4k support is fine. The only issue I have with the monitor is the stand. It's pretty bad. You can't adjust it at all. ASUS just released their 28inch 4k monitor. It has the same panel but the stand is vastly superior. I think it's 150 more. As far as Windows. I have it set at Larger and browser at 110% and it looks fine.

Smokey.

You need to replace the red cables with a white one. Doesn't go with the rest of your theme. Also, the rear fan doesn't match. Pretty sure, you are already buying replacements. Otherwise, awesome build. I am still waiting for Haswell-E.

Did you read my comments?! There's a reason I did both . I can get around red cable issue by using two white 6+2 pin cables. The back 140mm Corsair AF120 I had would not fit due to the rubber part. It seems to be a common issue with those fans and this case.

And thanks for the words. I couldn't wait for haswell e :p

At least grab it from Newegg as M3z_ suggested and save yourself an easy $100 :)

As for keyboards and mice the OP has a great selection of them. There are of course others which perform well, but they're seen to not be as good on a price/performance basis.

Mice in particular are a very personal decision, decide how many buttons you'd like, where you think you'd like them and figure out which grip you're going to use. I'd really recommend trying them out before you buy them if this is at all possible.

That said I'll throw out the Logitech G700s as a recommendation for a balanced mouse for MMOs and FPS, it has lots of buttons and I personally get on very well with the G700 from a comfort standpoint. Obviously it entirely depends on the features that you prioritise and how much you're willing to spend.

You can't go far wrong with any of the keyboards in the OP, again it's a case of the features that you want.

Smokey I just don't know how to respond to your amazing build. It's going to be crazy when you catch the water cooling bug too - I'm already jealous enough!

Will look at the logitech g700, anyway, should I just buy one of the Vapor X graphics card on New Egg or should I buy another graphics card?

mkenyon

Banned
I have a new respect for PC Hardware Reviewers. Finally got my build up and running. I'll detail some of the issues I had after some pics:
I hate to be the "Sharp Knees" guy, but you really should set up that H100 for exhaust. You don't want to be dumping the 300-400W of an overclocked socket 2011 proc right at your GPUs. Trust.

sangreal

I've got the Corsair Air 540 too. Love this case

I hate to be the "Sharp Knees" guy, but you really should set up that H100 for exhaust. You don't want to be dumping the 300-400W of an overclocked socket 2011 proc right at your GPUs. Trust.

Interesting (and makes sense) -- they recommend in the manual that you set the fans up as intake. Most people do push/pull anyway though

Dang!
Didn't realize how cheap the 256gb version of MX100 was, gah, guess I have to send back the other SSD.
Man, the cost of purchasing mistakes has made my build a little more expensive than I wanted. I guess I'll just sweep that under the rug as first-time building costs and buy some more instant noodles :p

knitoe

Did you read my comments?! There's a reason I did both . I can get around red cable issue by using two white 6+2 pin cables. The back 140mm Corsair AF120 I had would not fit due to the rubber part. It seems to be a common issue with those fans and this case.

And thanks for the words. I couldn't wait for haswell e :p
Sorry, I was quickly browsing on my iphone and didn't see your comments. Anyway, the 140mm does fit in the back. You just have to wedge it in and not tighten the screws too much. That's what I did. And, I think you should use 2 white cables temporarily because I know you will be order more cables from EVGA.

Smokey

So h100i exhaust and the rear as an intake ? Couldve swore I brought up the current setup in here some time ago. Who knows.

Guess I'll see once in get to messing with it again. I need to flip the fans around anyway SP that the wires are towards back of the case. Not at this time though. Installing that push / pull has made me not want to look at another fan.

Sorry, I was quickly browsing on my iphone and didn't see your comments. Anyway, the 140mm does fit in the back. You just have to wedge it in and not tighten the screws too much. That's what I did. And, I think you should use 2 white cables temporarily because I know you will be order more cables from EVGA.

I wedged, dipped, pushed..all that. It wasn't cooperating with me so I put its brother back in lol

I called EVGA at like 2am ( awesome that they have 247 tech support btw) and he told me you can't buy individual cables. In other words I'd have to spend another $90 for an additional white sleeved set.

ekgrey

Ahh okay. Thanks for your input! Sucks about the stand. I dunno I think I might end up going with something cheaper when I build and holding out for a sale on the Swift (or a competitor that undercuts it.) G-Sync sounds like something I want the more I read about display tech.

kiyomi

Tried out my new 23" IPS today, first IPS, connected it via VGA to a little netbook. Every bit of text and stuff has this tiny like 0.5% blur to it like it's juuuuust out of focus. Anyone experience that?

And no, it's not my eyes. Promise.

Exuro

Tried out my new 23" IPS today, first IPS, connected it via VGA to a little netbook. Every bit of text and stuff has this tiny like 0.5% blur to it like it's juuuuust out of focus. Anyone experience that?

And no, it's not my eyes. Promise.
My laptop connected to a monitor via VGA always looks blurry.

Smokey

I'm 98% sure I just had a conversation with a PC-GAF member at Microcenter. The guy was getting nearly the same equipment as me a few days ago (R4BE, H100i, Air 540, 4930k). I casually mentioned it to him and from there it was 10 minutes of straight nerd talk.

He mentioned he had just ordered 2x 780ti KingPins and that he is running a triple screen setup. Talked about the Titan Z at which point I showed him my build since he was getting an almost identical setup. Chatted about the board itself...some of the troubleshooting I did....some of the stuff he read about online about it. Then he started talking about watercooling. I'm like ....yooo...who is this guy?! There's no way he knew as much as he did and has not seen this place on the interwebs at least once.

So surreal lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Went to buy an MX100 from Amazon for work and it was OOS. :'[
I'm 98% sure I just had a conversation with a PC-GAF member at Microcenter. The guy was getting nearly the same equipment as me a few days ago (R4BE, H100i, Air 540, 4930k). I casually mentioned it to him and from there it was 10 minutes of straight nerd talk.

He mentioned he had just ordered 2x 780ti KingPins and that he is running a triple screen setup. Talked about the Titan Z at which point I showed him my build since he was getting an almost identical setup. Chatted about the board itself...some of the troubleshooting I did....some of the stuff he read about online about it. Then he started talking about watercooling. I'm like ....yooo...who is this guy?! There's no way he knew as much as he did and has not seen this place on the interwebs at least once.

So surreal lol
Probably an OCN or Xtremesystems member :p
Starting on my project now.

I think push/pull is a waste btw. Too much hassle for low benefit and harder to clean.
Ran into the exact problem yesterday when I tried to replace my mobo. Apperantly if you used your USB before for memtest and format it, the boot record is not clean and thus you can't create a new bootable image for windows. You have to clear the boot record using diskpart command clean.
here's the link for the fix that I used

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...snt-work/c79b981a-ae73-44f8-adbc-fe19496b0d25
Thanks I added this to the OP.

kiyomi

My laptop connected to a monitor via VGA always looks blurry.
Like I'm describing, just a tiny hint of blur?

I just wanna make sure nothing is wrong with the monitor before I get the rest of my components arrive in the next couple of weeks.

So surreal lol

What kind of monitors do you use Smokey? You are a 4k person right, not higher hz monitors?

Smokey

Went to buy an MX100 from Amazon for work and it was OOS. :'[

Probably an OCN or Xtremesystems member :p
Starting on my project now.

I think push/pull is a waste btw. Too much hassle for low benefit and harder to clean.

My whole build could fall under "a waste" lol. But yeah...I knew that going in. This is the first time I've really had the opportunity for such a setup so I went for it. Mainly for aesthetics as well.

What kind of monitors do you use Smokey? You are a 4k person right, not higher hz monitors?

Well I still have 3x Asus 120hz panels that I used in my NV Surround setup. Right now I'm using the Samsung 28'' 4k monitor.

I've been on both sides of the monitor war.

M3z_

Will look at the logitech g700, anyway, should I just buy one of the Vapor X graphics card on New Egg or should I buy another graphics card?

If you want that particular card it's a great card, the Tri-X is similar but doesn't have the good overclocking vram. I don't know why you would hesitate to purchase from Newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom