• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekgrey

I'm gonna do the full bullet point thing closer to actually building but for now: if I'm aiming for 1080p @144hZ or G-Sync or 1440p (or even 4K) is the 780 with 6GB a good investment? I'm probably gonna end up with at least a couple monitors to decide whether refresh rate or resolution is actually more important to me and I want to make sure my card doesn't need to be switched. I'll likely upgrade to oan 800 series when they launch but I want something really capable now. (Proc will be 4790k if it matters.)

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, that's about as low as I'd go for sure.

For most of the online/esports/source/UE3 type stuff, it'll be plenty sufficient for getting 120 fps at 1440p. Just make sure you OC your processor to help get you there with those games.

With the newer titles or graphics hogs, if you want to come close to maxing out 1440p, you're going to struggle to keep it anywhere near 120 on a single 780.

Ally1987

According to intel burn test my cpu is oc to 4.5ghz, but when I play games (Watch Dogs, Crysis 3 etc) it will not go higher than 4.2. why not?

Addnan

/r/builapc was actually doing something useful the other day. They were trying to organise a boycott of PNY and Kingston

So I have decided to upgrade my pc in order to get back into pc gaming a little.
I picked up a gtx770 4gb, 8gb of ram and Windows 7 from Microcenter today,
and will be doing the upgrade later tonight.
My cpu is an i5-760 at stock speed, will look into upgrading it down the road.
The pc is still running xp lol!

Smokey

First gaming benchmark ran on new machine - Tomb Raider Ultra everything @ 4K + TressFx:

avg fps - FXAA - 83fps
avg fps - 2x SSAA - 57fps
avg fps - 4x SSAA - 43fps

Still stock CPU and GPU. Kind of ridiculous lol

Stubo

First gaming benchmark ran on new machine - Tomb Raider Ultra everything @ 4K + TressFx:

avg fps - FXAA - 83fps

jHNsKZE.gif

Marceles

avg fps - FXAA - 83fps

.....................wat.

ss_lemonade

I'm gonna do the full bullet point thing closer to actually building but for now: if I'm aiming for 1080p @144hZ or G-Sync or 1440p (or even 4K) is the 780 with 6GB a good investment? I'm probably gonna end up with at least a couple monitors to decide whether refresh rate or resolution is actually more important to me and I want to make sure my card doesn't need to be switched. I'll likely upgrade to oan 800 series when they launch but I want something really capable now. (Proc will be 4790k if it matters.)

My single 780 3gb card runs most games maxed well enough to take advantage of lightboost (120hz 1080p) so I think you'll do ok.

espher

Every time I try to put a build together, I end up a sad panda.

I'm debating between trying to build a new rig (sans video card, riding my 6870 for as long as I can) or just keeping this aging beast for the limited gaming I currently do and picking up a Surface Pro or something. It kills me when I look at the historical prices and see the price of components increasing or staying steady at best over the last two years, ugh. The CAD is killing me.

Smokey

Played a little bit of Crysis 3. Very High (highest in game setting) + 4k w/ FXAA. First level which in my experience is one of the more demanding...I was around the 50fps mark. Went over 60 at some points. My cards are down clocking quick though. The top two cards get hot in a hurry, while the bottom stays cool. Temps were 83, 85, 68 in that order of the cards. Pretty crazy. That may ease up a bit once I change the order of the push/pull fans. Water may be in my future but I'm legit terrified.

I still believe Crysis 3 is in the top 3 visual compartment. Looks reallllly good.

I tried the Metro Last Light benchmark and it did not like my setup at all. Terrible utilization and my first card wouldn't hit it's boost clock. In some cases it down clocked. When the explosion scene happens my fps literally dropped in the single digits and some my cards were at 4%-10% utilization. Pretty terrible. I've never experienced that with 2x cards so maybe it's not built for 3. I expect to run into that a lot. But when the scaling does work, like in Tomb Raider and Crysis 3, it's ridiculous.

ss_lemonade

avg fps - FXAA - 83fps

That's....something.

I'm not even sure if adding a 2nd 780 to my rig would net results close that lol

Hey everyone, I've been in need of help for the past few months on building a gaming PC to stream on Twitch. I've been doing a ton of research and continue to find myself confused when looking for the right parts and where to buy it all built for me since I'm not confident in myself to build one yet. If anyone could help me that would be awesome. I've been checking around on iBuyPower but obviously don't know what I should be looking for to satisfy my needs. If someone could also assist me with the perfect case, I'd really appreciate it.

Current Specs: Currently only own a 2009 Macbook.

Budget: $1400.00 US

Main Use: Playing and streaming games while having multiple programs open at once.

Monitor Resolution: I'll be playing my games at 1080p and won't upgrade until 4K becomes the normal lol.

I'd have to run OBS and any other program required to stream PC/Console games.

When will you build?: I plan on building within a month.

Will you be overclocking?: I've been told a few times on here that I will, so yes.

jett

D-Member
Some PSU-related advice please.

So, I've discovered that the noisiest component of my PC wasn't my GPU as I thought, but my PSU, an XFX PRO650W Core Edition. With the case's fans managed on the bios, it's by far much noisier than the CPU or GPU while under load. Specifically, while playing AssCreed 4 and Crysis 3. On idle it's fine.

Is this just the way it is with power supplies of this wattage? It's not completely unbearable (now that I've adjusted the HAF 922's fans manually), but it's definitely annoying and otherwise I think my system would be moderately quiet. Is it just this model? Or am I just screwed? Five minutes into playing C3 and it starts revving up. Anything I can do on my end? My case just sits on carpet. Would "lifting it up" help at all in this regard? Or is my only choice another PSU? If so, any easy-to-find-worldwide recommendations? Quietness is my priority. I have a stock 4670k and a 280X, nothing fancy. Because I don't think I'll be able to endure this indefinitely. If another brand of PSU is the case, I can only hope my shop will accept to take it back on grounds that it's "too fucking noisy under load". :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

So, I've discovered that the noisiest component of my PC wasn't my GPU as I thought, but my PSU, an XFX PRO650W Core Edition. With the case's fans managed on the bios, it's by far much noisier than the CPU or GPU while under load. Specifically, while playing AssCreed 4 and Crysis 3. On idle it's fine.

Is this just the way it is with power supplies of this wattage? It's not completely unbearable (now that I've adjusted the HAF 922's fans manually), but it's definitely annoying and otherwise I think my system would be moderately quiet. Is it just this model? Or am I just screwed? Five minutes into playing C3 and it starts revving up. Anything I can do on my end? My case just sits on carpet. Would "lifting it up" help at all in this regard? Or is my only choice another PSU? If so, any easy-to-find-worldwide recommendations? Quietness is my priority. I have a stock 4670k and a 280X, nothing fancy. Because I don't think I'll be able to endure this indefinitely. If another brand of PSU is the case, I can only hope my shop will accept to take it back on grounds that it's "too fucking noisy under load". :p
Just the model. Usually PSUs will have a temp to fan speed curve. Try blowing it out.

Alternatively the Seasonic posted a few pages back or the X or AX series (and I think the CM V series) all are silent and some don't even spin until a certain load.

G.Newell

With building my new PC, i'm gonna need to get a new headset. I had a Logitech G35 before i accidently broke one earcup off so im gonna need a new one.

Reading around i see a lot of people recommending headphones with separate microphone. Is this the best way to go and if so is there any products that people here would recomend.

Ive been looking at these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B0FR2QO/

Saw them a few times recommended but not on here i don't think. Seems a good price but are they good for gaming?

jett

D-Member
Just the model. Usually PSUs will have a temp to fan speed curve. Try blowing it out.

Alternatively the Seasonic posted a few pages back or the X or AX series (and I think the CM V series) all are silent and some don't even spin until a certain load.

Thanks.I wish I hadn't forgotten about quietness when building this rig. :| I wonder if they'll take it back.

edit: btw you mean blowing it with a blow dryer? :p

McBryBry

So, I got on PCPartPicker today, and apparently the EVGA GTX 780 6GB has disappeared? I tried finding it on different sites and nothing. On Nvidia's site, all there is is a "notify me" button. Anybody know? My main goal is modding the living hell out of Skyrim so that 6gig card was a god send. Sort of.

mkenyon

Banned
Is that this year's update for Crucial's drives? I think I might pick up a 512 GB version.
Kind of, yeah.
So, I got on PCPartPicker today, and apparently the EVGA GTX 780 6GB has disappeared? I tried finding it on different sites and nothing. On Nvidia's site, all there is is a "notify me" button. Anybody know? My main goal is modding the living hell out of Skyrim so that 6gig card was a god send. Sort of.
I was under the impression Skyrim couldn't use anything more than 3GB, even with mods.

McBryBry

Kind of, yeah.

I was under the impression Skyrim couldn't use anything more than 3GB, even with mods.

Really? I've heard that you need more if using a lot of texture mods, and that 3GB might not be enough for it.

If you're right though, I'm more than happy to take a 3GB card.

Edit: Also, what would be the best 780 to go with? I'm kind of curious to this Zotac AMP Edition.

looking for case recommendations. having a big case is a big priority for me, i'm so sick of digging through tangled cables in a tight space. and my heatsink is the size of a small child's head. a quiet case would be nice too, but if i have to choose between having a big case or a quiet case, i'll take the big one.

any recommendations along these lines?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
With building my new PC, i'm gonna need to get a new headset. I had a Logitech G35 before i accidently broke one earcup off so im gonna need a new one.

Reading around i see a lot of people recommending headphones with separate microphone. Is this the best way to go and if so is there any products that people here would recomend.

Ive been looking at these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B0FR2QO/

Saw them a few times recommended but not on here i don't think. Seems a good price but are they good for gaming?
M50's are nice with their base.
looking for case recommendations. having a big case is a big priority for me, i'm so sick of digging through tangled cables in a tight space. and my heatsink is the size of a small child's head. a quiet case would be nice too, but if i have to choose between having a big case or a quiet case, i'll take the big one.

any recommendations along these lines?
R4 (Quiet), Air 540 (Huge and tidy), Enthoo Pro (New hotness)

Jonnyguru.com

If you're looking for quiet, try and get something that's more efficient. High quality PSUs generate less heat, and less heat means less fan use.

jett

D-Member
Jonnyguru.com

If you're looking for quiet, try and get something that's more efficient. High quality PSUs generate less heat, and less heat means less fan use.

For some reason I was under the impression that the one I got was a high quality PSU. :p I even overpaid for this thing, sigh.

NoRéN

Sterling"Duchess"Archer;116933090 said:
Does anyone know how one might go about loading windows 8.1 onto a brand new rig sans disk drive. From what I understand its possible to do it from a USB?

yup. Instructions in Post #2.

Tablo

Anyone have CPU benchmarks comparing Haswell I7s/Xeons at various frequencies?
Contemplating building two rigs, one SFF gaming dorm machine, and a home MicroATX media storage/gaming capable (750 ti~ level). Was looking at the 1231v3 Xeon, 3.4ghz, 8 threads... Probably more than fine, and it'll run nice and cool and stable...

Sidenote, what would be the best way to set up an easy way to access all the files on that PC from a remote area (would stick the big HDD(s) in there). Can I remote in and like FTP the files to me? I need to think that part through xD

Smokey

The feels when you realize water cooling may not be an option anymore, but a necessity to get the most of your system. The feels. Gotdamnit.

Pachimari

Got myself a genuine Windows 7 now. :)

But I'm getting worried about my computer. Every second time I restart, it will get stuck at the "Gigabyte" bootup screen where I have options to go to the boot menu etc.

What is wrong?

Dr.Acula

Banned
So I have decided to upgrade my pc in order to get back into pc gaming a little.
I picked up a gtx770 4gb, 8gb of ram and Windows 7 from Microcenter today,
and will be doing the upgrade later tonight.
My cpu is an i5-760 at stock speed, will look into upgrading it down the road.
The pc is still running xp lol!

I have a similar system (i5-750) and just upgraded to a 770 last year myself. The thing flies now.

Only problem is I had to RMA my 770 cause it was hard crashing. Argh, it's been a week already and it's still in "processing" :(

Got myself a genuine Windows 7 now. :)

But I'm getting worried about my computer. Every second time I restart, it will get stuck at the "Gigabyte" bootup screen where I have options to go to the boot menu etc.

What is wrong?

gh55b01.jpg

You mean like this?

What happens the other times? It just goes through? The screen display option is a toggle in the bios. The only thing I can think of is that you have two bios', and your bios is not starting properly so your system is reverting to the backup bios occasionally. Not sure why that would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom