• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

riflen

Played a little bit of Crysis 3. Very High (highest in game setting) + 4k w/ FXAA. First level which in my experience is one of the more demanding...I was around the 50fps mark. Went over 60 at some points. My cards are down clocking quick though. The top two cards get hot in a hurry, while the bottom stays cool. Temps were 83, 85, 68 in that order of the cards. Pretty crazy. That may ease up a bit once I change the order of the push/pull fans. Water may be in my future but I'm legit terrified.

I still believe Crysis 3 is in the top 3 visual compartment. Looks reallllly good.

I tried the Metro Last Light benchmark and it did not like my setup at all. Terrible utilization and my first card wouldn't hit it's boost clock. In some cases it down clocked. When the explosion scene happens my fps literally dropped in the single digits and some my cards were at 4%-10% utilization. Pretty terrible. I've never experienced that with 2x cards so maybe it's not built for 3. I expect to run into that a lot. But when the scaling does work, like in Tomb Raider and Crysis 3, it's ridiculous.

You need water, Smokey. My 780 Tis never get over 50 degrees, even when at 1200Mhz for hours.

SLI is kind of broken in M:LL, even more so for 3 x. MaLDo was testing out different SLI bits that improve scaling but breaks some rendering.

I grabbed BF3 for free on Origin last month and I just got around to trying it.. My system is below:

Athlon II X4 640
8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Radeon 7700 1GB GHz Edition

When I check online, I find people discussing High/Ultra settings with this card and/or 80-90fps on Medium/High. I've found it impossible; Theres terrible stuttering at times, especially when there is a lot of dust/debris around. I've also found that ambient occlusion really fucks my framerate, as does many high lighting/shadow details. I can only play the game enjoyably on Medium settings or so. WTF am I doing wrong, and what do I need to upgrade here? CPU or GPU?

fanboi

Banned
My 4790k has been delayed 3 weeks... Any comparable CPU that I could get instead? I can change mobo aswell if needed.

AMD fx-9590 4.7ghz? 4770k?

kharma45

My 4790k has been delayed 3 weeks... Any comparable CPU that I could get instead? I can change mobo aswell if needed.

AMD fx-9590 4.7ghz? 4770k?

Don't go near AMD, especially not that disaster of a chip.

4770K is fine if you don't want to wait.

I grabbed BF3 for free on Origin last month and I just got around to trying it.. My system is below:

Athlon II X4 640
8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Radeon 7700 1GB GHz Edition

When I check online, I find people discussing High/Ultra settings with this card and/or 80-90fps on Medium/High. I've found it impossible; Theres terrible stuttering at times, especially when there is a lot of dust/debris around. I've also found that ambient occlusion really fucks my framerate, as does many high lighting/shadow details. I can only play the game enjoyably on Medium settings or so. WTF am I doing wrong, and what do I need to upgrade here? CPU or GPU?

Your CPU is very weak.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Tried uninstalling CCC, failed. Then I deleted everything AMD/ATI related (Files and Registry) to get ride of these horizontal lines. I had to resort to uninstalling from device manager on top of that, then install new beta drivers then uninstall those to finally get a clean(?) no driver boot going. It seems okay now. Not too happy so far.

Card clocks the same ATM and if I can get VRM1 temps in check (>80C = snow) so I stop artifacting above 1200 core maybe I'll be content.
For some reason I was under the impression that the one I got was a high quality PSU. :p I even overpaid for this thing, sigh.
It's a good quality PSU for the price, just the fan spins a bit more than you like.
I take it that you probably don't want to replace the fan inside, so I suggested other options.

Tablo

What 92mm Noctua fans would be good as front case fans in the Node 304? For the exhaust the NF14 FLX seems like the way to go.

maneil99

Tried uninstalling CCC, failed. Then I deleted everything AMD/ATI related (Files and Registry) to get ride of these horizontal lines. I had to resort to uninstalling from device manager on top of that, then install new beta drivers then uninstall those to finally get a clean(?) no driver boot going. It seems okay now. Not too happy so far.

Card clocks the same ATM and if I can get VRM1 temps in check (>80C = snow) so I stop artifacting above 1200 core maybe I'll be content.

It's a good quality PSU for the price, just the fan spins a bit more than you like.
I take it that you probably don't want to replace the fan inside, so I suggested other options.

Shoulda went green team :(

Hey guys, I'm totally new to PC gaming. Wanting to get into PC gaming, I ordered this PC recently. I was hoping you could tell me what level of performance I should expect? Also, is there anything that I need to upgrade on this rig or anything that I missed while ordering that would prevent me from plugging it into a monitor and start playing?

Thanks!

COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-4820K Quad-Core 3.70 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)
CS_FAN: Default case fans
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1866MHz Quad Channel Memory (G.SKILL Ripjaws X)
MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE X79-UP4 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 5, GblAN, 4 GEn3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 1 PCI
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

Addnan

Hey guys, I'm totally new to PC gaming. Wanting to get into PC gaming, I ordered this PC recently. I was hoping you could tell me what level of performance I should expect? Also, is there anything that I need to upgrade on this rig or anything that I missed while ordering that would prevent me from plugging it into a monitor and start playing?

Thanks!

CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-4820K Quad-Core 3.70 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)
MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE X79-UP4 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 5, GblAN, 4 GEn3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 1 PCI
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
Very good performance that's what you will be getting. Nothing will stop you from playing straight out of the box assume you have OS? Adding an SSD would be nice though, give you a speed bump.

Any idea which CPU cooler it has because enthusiast chips which yours is does not come with the default Intel cooler generally. If it is just a cheap one you might want to look into upgrading that to a Noctua, Corsair H80 or H100 to really take advantage of the overclock potential of an enthusiast chip.

Mascot

Played a little bit of Crysis 3. Very High (highest in game setting) + 4k w/ FXAA. First level which in my experience is one of the more demanding...I was around the 50fps mark. Went over 60 at some points. My cards are down clocking quick though. The top two cards get hot in a hurry, while the bottom stays cool. Temps were 83, 85, 68 in that order of the cards. Pretty crazy. That may ease up a bit once I change the order of the push/pull fans. Water may be in my future but I'm legit terrified.

I still believe Crysis 3 is in the top 3 visual compartment. Looks reallllly good.

I tried the Metro Last Light benchmark and it did not like my setup at all. Terrible utilization and my first card wouldn't hit it's boost clock. In some cases it down clocked. When the explosion scene happens my fps literally dropped in the single digits and some my cards were at 4%-10% utilization. Pretty terrible. I've never experienced that with 2x cards so maybe it's not built for 3. I expect to run into that a lot. But when the scaling does work, like in Tomb Raider and Crysis 3, it's ridiculous.

Man, I figured your set up would eat anything alive without breaking sweat.

What chance for us mere mortals?

Pachimari

I have a similar system (i5-750) and just upgraded to a 770 last year myself. The thing flies now.

Only problem is I had to RMA my 770 cause it was hard crashing. Argh, it's been a week already and it's still in "processing" :(

gh55b01.jpg

You mean like this?

What happens the other times? It just goes through? The screen display option is a toggle in the bios. The only thing I can think of is that you have two bios', and your bios is not starting properly so your system is reverting to the backup bios occasionally. Not sure why that would be.

Yeah, it gets stuck there at the options, when I restart the computer sometimes. Other times it goes through and starts up Windows.

What can I do to fix it?

And is there a place, where I can buy a legal key for Photoshop?

Thanks!

You definitely need to put an SSD in that, even a small one for boot drive and "current main game" storage. Makes me ill to see such a high spec machine without an SSD. It's like buying a Ferrari and then cutting holes in the floor to walk it everywhere, like a Flintstones cartoon.

kennah

Yeah, it gets stuck there at the options, when I restart the computer sometimes. Other times it goes through and starts up Windows.

What can I do to fix it?

And is there a place, where I can buy a legal key for Photoshop?
Next time it gets stuck hit Tab and see what is on the screen. Or disable Full Screen Logo (or whatever) so you can see what is happening.

All adobe software is subscription based now. So keys for the older stuff can be overpriced and sketchy. Creative.adobe.com - sometimes Photoshop goes on sale for $10/month.

Mascot

So it's looking increasingly likely that I'm moving to PC gaming, primarily (but not exclusively) for pCARS and Assetto Corsa with my Fanatec cockpit. I'll be pushing the button around November I think, and will probably budget around £1000 or so, excluding display. So I should get a reasonable machine for that, I guess. Don't worry, I'll be tapping you lot up for advice nearer the time.

The talk about excess noise and cooling has me a little concerned - I guess the two are inexstricably linked? I do have the option to put the PC in my office, which is right next door to my gaming room, and run a long HDMI cable through sockets in the stud wall into the amp in the games room. That way the PC can be as noisy as it likes with uber-turbines providing the cooling and I shouldn't hear a thing. Hell, I could even blast it with a portable AC unit if I wanted to.

Daft idea? Any reasons why this wouldn't work?

kharma45

So it's looking increasingly likely that I'm moving to PC gaming, primarily (but not exclusively) for pCARS and Assetto Corsa with my Fanatec cockpit. I'll be pushing the button around November I think, and will probably budget around £1000 or so, excluding display. So I should get a reasonable machine for that, I guess. Don't worry, I'll be tapping you lot up for advice nearer the time.

The talk about excess noise and cooling has me a little concerned - I guess the two are inexstricably linked? I do have the option to put the PC in my office, which is right next door to my gaming room, and run a long HDMI cable through sockets in the stud wall into the amp in the games room. That way the PC can be as noisy as it likes with uber-turbines providing the cooling and I shouldn't hear a thing. Hell, I could even blast it with a portable AC unit if I wanted to.

Daft idea? Any reasons why this wouldn't work?

Most stuff now runs relatively cool. Making it quiet isn't too had.

Staab

Guys, I need a little help with some parts I will be grabbing at the end of the month :
I'm located in Europe (Switzerland) and I'm not finding some of the parts indicated in the OP.

With a socket 1150 intel CPU (model not yet defined but will be overclockable) and a Radeon R280x, I found the following "replacement parts" :

MB: AsRock Z97 Pro4 (socket 1150)
PSU: Cooler Master G550M

Is the motherboard OK ?
Seems to be new and based on the Z97but has everything I'd want on the connectivity front: size, technologies (7.1, M.2 stuff, ...) and enough ports !

About the PSU, I couldn't find any Antec / EVGA or XFX so I had to sift through a couple of reviews, anyone have some experience with that model ?
It's a 550W model so should suffice for my rig (not planning on SLI) and it's modular with a good rating.

Also, for the case, I'll most likely grab a Corsair Carbide 200R or a Antec Three Hundred (budget price range), should I get extra fans for the cases or are the base 2 fans enough if I don't plan on going too crazy with the overclocking ?

Thanks in advance !

Smokey

You need water, Smokey. My 780 Tis never get over 50 degrees, even when at 1200Mhz for hours.

SLI is kind of broken in M:LL, even more so for 3 x. MaLDo was testing out different SLI bits that improve scaling but breaks some rendering.

I'm guessing this is a result of consolization. The first Metro had zero problems slapping you across the face with its performance. Good to know it wasn't just me on metro LL.

About water...I'm probably going to be forced to. I was able to with play fine in my games yesterday. Top and mid card being low 80s, but it results in all 3 being throttled. After spending so much on this setup I'm going to have to do it to get the most out of it. Different from before when it was really just an option.

Man, I figured your set up would eat anything alive without breaking sweat.

What chance for us mere mortals?

Buy more GPUs? :p
The image quality combined with the smoothness of the gameplay was incredible. If console players played what I did there'd be tons of people crowning Crysis 3 as best looking game.

Either that or just drop down to two Titan-Zs. Ah hell, who am I kidding?

Well it is the type of reason someone would go for such a setup..

kharma45

Guys, I need a little help with some parts I will be grabbing at the end of the month :
I'm located in Europe (Switzerland) and I'm not finding some of the parts indicated in the OP.

With a socket 1150 intel CPU (model not yet defined but will be overclockable) and a Radeon R280x, I found the following "replacement parts" :

Is the motherboard OK ?
Seems to be new and based on the Z97but has everything I'd want on the connectivity front: size, technologies (7.1, M.2 stuff, ...) and enough ports !

About the PSU, I couldn't find any Antec / EVGA or XFX so I had to sift through a couple of reviews, anyone have some experience with that model ?
It's a 550W model so should suffice for my rig (not planning on SLI) and it's modular with a good rating.

Also, for the case, I'll most likely grab a Corsair Carbide 200R or a Antec Three Hundred (budget price range), should I get extra fans for the cases or are the base 2 fans enough if I don't plan on going too crazy with the overclocking ?

Thanks in advance !

It's an OK motherboard. What price does the Gigabyte D3H come in at relative to that ASRock?

G550M is again just OK. Any modular Be Quiet! L8 units available? Should be OK priced.

200R is the better case out of those two. You won't need extra case fans.

Why did you choose a dedicated soundcard? You really won't need it. Except you have a $1k sound system, and then you'll want a sound card which costs more than just 30 bucks.
Also, there are cheaper LG ODDs, that'll do the job as good.
But the rest looks okay

Addnan

Why did you choose a dedicated soundcard? You really won't need it. Except you have a $1k sound system, and then you'll want a sound card

That is not true at all. A decent pair of headphones sound so much better with that soundcard over the onboard. Onboard is fine for most, but soundcard is needed if you have decent cans.

Staab

It's an OK motherboard. What price does the Gigabyte D3H come in at relative to that ASRock?
I'm not finding that model at all, I have options for a Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 3 or 5 in a similar price range (+20% though).
If they have the same chip (Z97), aren't the differences just about layout and connectivity ?

G550M is again just OK. Any modular Be Quiet! L8 units available? Should be OK priced.
There is, 530W instead of 550W, a bit more pricey (+20%).
Really worth the difference ?

Giggzy

So are FX8350's frowned upon in here? I'll be building a PC for my girlfriends little brother and he has a very tight budget. He's young, so no job to really save and add more unless he waits till Christmas, which he won't do.

The two options I'm thinking are:

1) 8350 with a 280X GPU

Or

2) 4670k with a GTX760

I would think having the beefier GPU would be better in the long run, and I don't think the 8350 is really that bad.

Any advice?

Water

will probably budget around £1000 or so, excluding display.
I don't see any downside in a computer-next-door setup, but you won't gain terribly much with it either. There are few components that would provide substantial performance or price advantage with the drawback of producing lots of noise; the reference cooler 290 / 290X GPUs are perhaps the only such thing if you can find them cheap, and many would still opt for Nvidia for feature reasons. At your budget you are looking at a single GPU. So do you want to try to save $100 by building an environmental hazard that's permanently confined behind a wall, rather than a civilized desktop with pretty much the same performance?

So are FX8350's frowned upon in here? I'll be building a PC for my girlfriends little brother and he has a very tight budget. He's young, so no job to really save and add more unless he waits till Christmas, which he won't do.

1) 8350 with a 280X GPU

Or

2) 4670k with a GTX760

I would think having the beefier GPU would be better in the long run, and I don't think the 8350 is really that bad.

Any advice?

#2 for sure. You can tone down graphical settings but you can't tone down the game.

There's also a #3: get a locked i5 and the 280X.

Or #4: Get a 3570K and Z77 and the 280X.

Unless you have some attachment to Haslel, Ivy will get you similar (probably indistinguishable actually) results, and you'll save a bunch on the motherboard I think.

My final suggestion is going to be a little unorthodox, but CPUs are one of those things that is okay to buy used or open box. Ever since Intel moved away from pins in the CPU, they're built like tanks so unless the guy you buy from hit his with a hammer it's pretty safe. At worst you'll get one that doesn't overclock that well and was returned because of it.

Whatever you decide, just don't settle for an AMD CPU.

Smokey

1) 8350 with a 280X GPU

Or

2) 4670k with a GTX760

Any advice?

Get him the new Pentium G3258 that is about to release. Its maybe $80 or so and OCs to 4.0ghz. Pair it with one of those GPUs and send him on his way.

Li Kao

Ok guys, I need some help and yup, the question will be pretty stupid.
So I have a PC, a TV, and an Ipad. And after some years of procrastinating, I finally would like for them to play well together.
Let's forget the TV for the moment as that's just its own can of worms. I would like to be able to stream to the ipad whenever I want for starters. But evidently I don't really want for the PC to run full power constantly.

What power management settings should I check in order to do that ? A PC in low power mode except for the times when I use it or the time I want it to stream to the ipad ?
I told you it was a pretty stupid question :-S

Giggzy

Get him the new Pentium G3258 that is about to release. Its maybe $80 or so and OCs to 4.0ghz. Pair it with one of those GPUs and send him on his way.

Are you being serious? Sorry lol, I haven't been keeping up with CPU technology. How are thr performances from that cpu?

Why did you choose a dedicated soundcard? You really won't need it. Except you have a $1k sound system, and then you'll want a sound card which costs more than just 30 bucks.
Also, there are cheaper LG ODDs, that'll do the job as good.
But the rest looks okay

What kind of sound card do you recommend then?

Addnan

Are you being serious? Sorry lol, I haven't been keeping up with CPU technology. How are thr performances from that cpu?
There hasn't been enough reviews of it just yet, but early reports suggest it will be pretty damn great at the price range, however if he can afford the 4670K + 760 would be better off going for that.

Mascot

I don't see any downside in a computer-next-door setup, but you won't gain terribly much with it either. There are few components that would provide substantial performance or price advantage with the drawback of producing lots of noise; the reference cooler 290 / 290X GPUs are perhaps the only such thing if you can find them cheap, and many would still opt for Nvidia for feature reasons. At your budget you are looking at a single GPU. So do you want to try to save $100 by building an environmental hazard that's permanently confined behind a wall, rather than a civilized desktop with pretty much the same performance?

Oh, a civilised desktop, most definitely. There's one advantage with the next-door setup in that the PC would physically be in my office so would be more appropriately placed for non-gaming purposes (who am I kidding? It's a games machine! But it's nice to have the option). I've no experience whatsoever of PC gaming so have no idea how loud they need to run to keep cool, but I imagine it would be louder than my single-fan original Xbox 360, which was annoyingly loud at times (not so much the subsequent models). And speaking of the 360, I'm on my sixth, so am totally paranoid about things overheating. I'd never want to throttle fans back to keep the PC quiet. Putting it in the room next door seems like a sensible solution.

Smokey

Too close to Witcher 3. Makes the decision to get a 770 now that much harder.

Get it now, sell it later. GPUs hold their value. This is a rumor there's no telling what's going to happen. When they do make announcement , you'll have a brief window to flip the card and get most of your money back.

Guess it also depends what you currently have.

No article from Andy. Hype deflated.

LilJoka

Why wouldn't it? That's a high end graphics card...I think Titan changed people's perception on the high end game with its price. That card will run games for you the rest of this gen at 1080p. Maybe not 60fps but you'll be fine.

Worst thing is the 780 can beat/match a Titan pretty easily with just a small OC, and then we have 780Ti which is even better.

Why wouldn't it? That's a high end graphics card...I think Titan changed people's perception on the high end game with its price. That card will run games for you the rest of this gen at 1080p. Maybe not 60fps but you'll be fine.

lol ok, I just saw your set up and got kind of envious. I need to know how long your build will last.

MedIC86

I hope someone can help me with my internet speed problems.

I have a 200mbit connection. I use a modem and a router. Now when i plug my cable directly in the modem i get my full 200mbit connection (this rules out that i have a bad cable or network card). Now when i use the router (and only one port just my pc) i only get 160 mbit. I already tried updating firmware and resetting etc, doesnt really help. The router is an Linksys E3000 which should be enough to get 200mbit. Anyone has an idea what this could be?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Is the motherboard OK ?

Thanks in advance !

I use the Asrock Fatality K1ller z97 motherboard and it is fantastic.
Overclocked easily, tons of features, and looks really damn good.

Addnan

lol ok, I just saw your set up and got kind of envious. I need to know how long your build will last.

There is no how long it will last. His build will probably last him until the next set of high end cards get released, but then are a bunch of people who have 560Ti + 2500K and are still plenty happy.

There is no how long it will last. His build will probably last him until the next set of high end cards get released, but then are a bunch of people who have 560Ti + 2500K and are still plenty happy.

Ok, so basically I am about to order my parts tonight, from what you guys saw, what else would you recommend I get or change?

I plan on keeping the sound card and my processor is coming soon and I am keeping that graphics card.

Addnan

It looks pretty much perfect. If you wanted to you can get that Seasonic Platinum quoted few posts above $80 after rebate. Solid deal, amazing PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom