• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake

So my build is pretty much good to go, but I have no idea which motherboard to get. Going with a 4770k and a GTX 780. I will eventually be overclocking it. Any suggestions? MOBO's is the one part I'm never too sure on. I currently have a Gigabyte board in my current PC and that thing has been a beast for me.

LilJoka

I hope someone can help me with my internet speed problems.

I have a 200mbit connection. I use a modem and a router. Now when i plug my cable directly in the modem i get my full 200mbit connection (this rules out that i have a bad cable or network card). Now when i use the router (and only one port just my pc) i only get 160 mbit. I already tried updating firmware and resetting etc, doesnt really help. The router is an Linksys E3000 which should be enough to get 200mbit. Anyone has an idea what this could be?

Possibility of a chipset mismatch on the modem to external line connection. Usually the drop is minimal, but at such high speeds it may make a bigger difference. Using the other modem, there might be the right compatibility with the equipment at the exchange so you get better speeds.
Can you get the line statistics from the modem and router and post them here?

Get it now, sell it later. GPUs hold their value. This is a rumor there's no telling what's going to happen. When they do make announcement , you'll have a brief window to flip the card and get most of your money back.

Guess it also depends what you currently have.

Hm. Well that makes it sound so easy. I currently have this 560ti which has been pretty great for me. I haven't picked out a 770 yet (still researching the differences)...but will probably end up sticking with EVGA unless someone knows of a better card.

Thanks for the advice!

Addnan

So my build is pretty much good to go, but I have no idea which motherboard to get. Going with a 4770k and a GTX 780. I will eventually be overclocking it. Any suggestions? MOBO's is the one part I'm never too sure on. I currently have a Gigabyte board in my current PC and that thing has been a beast for me.

See OP, pick one that fits into you budget. Z87 or Z97.

Xisiqomelir

So I finally did an SFF build because my uncle asked me to do him one (CM 130).

And I'm not ever doing this for myself ever again. My god the cable management. And trying to plug in RESET SW was...nightmarish.

End results are pretty nice tho, so I might trick a buddy into doing the assembly.

dmr87

Why not go with Devils Canyon (4790k)? Better temps and higher base clock, also better OC potential due to the temps.

jett

D-Member
It's a good quality PSU for the price, just the fan spins a bit more than you like.
I take it that you probably don't want to replace the fan inside, so I suggested other options.

Jonnyguru.com

If you're looking for quiet, try and get something that's more efficient. High quality PSUs generate less heat, and less heat means less fan use.

Thanks. My system is undoubtedly using below 400W, so it's pretty annoying that it gets so loud regardless. I have it set downside with the fan below the case. I read that it's supposed blow out air from the back but I feel nothing. Is that normal? When it gets nuts it also feels cool to the touch and not hot or anything. I can't believe it's supposed to be that loud under "load." Seems shit. :p

Shoulda went green team :(
Anything I should be aware of when switching over? All my previous PCs had ATI in them, but I'll be getting a EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR GTX 760 2GB in tomorrow. Is it going to be a hassle to get rid of ATI's drivers and Set up the new ones?

Also, will I be ok with my current PSU?

My current rig is nothing special, so I'm not expecting too much of a boost until I do a full upgrade: Coolermaster Centurion 5e, Gigabyte UD3 770, OCZ 500W Modular 80+, HIS HD 4890 1GB, Phenom II X3 720 BE OC'd to 3.52 GHz, 6GB DDR2 800, Samsung 640GB 7200 16MB.

MadSexual

This might not be the right place to ask this, but I'm guessing you guys are knowledgeable enough to help:

There was a storm yesterday afternoon. That may or may not be relevant, but I came home from work and found that my tv was no longer receiving a signal from my HTPC. I tried different HDMI inputs and different cables. I also tried the VGA input. The TV does not have a DVI input. None of those worked, so I tried the PC with another TV and my PC monitor. Same deal. The DVI input DID work with the monitor. Next, I tried the card in another system. Same results. So I'm pretty sure the ports on the card are dead.

Now the weird bit: I was grumpy about spending more money and decided to check things over one more time. This time I tested the HDMI inputs in the TV with another device (xbox in this case). It ALSO failed to deliver a signal to the TV. Furthermore, while hunched over the top of the TV changing inputs, I smelled gunpowder from the TV's vent. I'm pretty sure it's fried and dead as well. The display still works, however. Just the ports seem to be fried. I unplugged it nevertheless.

I mentioned the storm earlier. For whatever reason, the PC was plugged straight into the wall, not on the strip. I'm wondering if there was surge damage. I did a little reading and saw that an upright machine would mean the GPU card would be hit first. Indeed, the machine boots to Windows no problem, so the CPU appears to be fine. Did the surge travel from the card and fry the TV?

I've ordered a new card, but I'm a little concerned the PCI-e port was damaged. The DVI from the card worked fine though, so I'm guessing it's okay. I don't have a convenient way of testing the mobo.

Any of this sound right? Anything else I should be concerned with before installing the new card and hooking up a new TV?

mkenyon

Banned
I hope someone can help me with my internet speed problems.

I have a 200mbit connection. I use a modem and a router. Now when i plug my cable directly in the modem i get my full 200mbit connection (this rules out that i have a bad cable or network card). Now when i use the router (and only one port just my pc) i only get 160 mbit. I already tried updating firmware and resetting etc, doesnt really help. The router is an Linksys E3000 which should be enough to get 200mbit. Anyone has an idea what this could be?
Are there any other devices connected to it that could be using some of the bandwidth?
This might not be the right place to ask this, but I'm guessing you guys are knowledgeable enough to help:

There was a storm yesterday afternoon. That may or may not be relevant, but I came home from work and found that my tv was no longer receiving a signal from my HTPC. I tried different HDMI inputs and different cables. I also tried the VGA input. The TV does not have a DVI input. None of those worked, so I tried the PC with another TV and my PC monitor. Same deal. The DVI input DID work with the monitor. Next, I tried the card in another system. Same results. So I'm pretty sure the ports on the card are dead.

Now the weird bit: I was grumpy about spending more money and decided to check things over one more time. This time I tested the HDMI inputs in the TV with another device (xbox in this case). It ALSO failed to deliver a signal to the TV. Furthermore, while hunched over the top of the TV changing inputs, I smelled gunpowder from the TV's vent. I'm pretty sure it's fried and dead as well. The display still works, however. Just the ports seem to be fried. I unplugged it nevertheless.

I mentioned the storm earlier. For whatever reason, the PC was plugged straight into the wall, not on the strip. I'm wondering if there was surge damage. I did a little reading and saw that an upright machine would mean the GPU card would be hit first. Indeed, the machine boots to Windows no problem, so the CPU appears to be fine. Did the surge travel from the card and fry the TV?

I've ordered a new card, but I'm a little concerned the PCI-e port was damaged. The DVI from the card worked fine though, so I'm guessing it's okay. I don't have a convenient way of testing the mobo.

Any of this sound right? Anything else I should be concerned with before installing the new card and hooking up a new TV?
Seems the only other thing to do would be to stress test the GPU to make sure all is well.

Also, sorry that happened :(

Are you in the Pac NW? Had lightning here yesterday too.

Guys if I get another r9 290x for cheap - should I go for CROSS FIre setup ?

what are the advantages ?

Higher FPS ?
More aggressive AA ? or not possible on AMD Cards ?

as you can tell I am fairly new at this.

mkenyon

Banned
Guys if I get another r9 290x for cheap - should I go for CROSS FIre setup ?

what are the advantages ?

Higher FPS ?
More aggressive AA ? or not possible on AMD Cards ?

as you can tell I am fairly new at this.
Make sure you have an amazing PSU, because those cards can spike to ridiculous power consumption. I wouldn't even feel safe with an 850W.

The advantages would be mostly dependent upon your display. That would be a pretty great setup for 1440p/120Hz, amazingly good for 1080p/120Hz. Crossfire and 4K are still a bit wonky though, specifically anything that is still DX9.

For 1080p/60Hz, I wouldn't bother.

Dubz

I just picked up an i7 4770 and it's running at about 90 Celsius when I play BF4...is this too hot? I'm guessing yes.

appaws

Banned
^^ I imagine having 3 Titans you'd be suffocating those cards on air

I dread the day I have to switch to water too ('-_-)

Don't dread it. It's so much fun and your machine will look so purdy.

So are FX8350's frowned upon in here? I'll be building a PC for my girlfriends little brother and he has a very tight budget. He's young, so no job to really save and add more unless he waits till Christmas, which he won't do.

The two options I'm thinking are:

1) 8350 with a 280X GPU

Or

2) 4670k with a GTX760

I would think having the beefier GPU would be better in the long run, and I don't think the 8350 is really that bad.

Any advice?

Whatever your budget for a CPU, just buy the best Intel one that you can. They outperform AMD CPUs at every price point. So yeah, maybe get the beefier GPU, but replace the 4670k with a cheaper Intel part, not the 8350.

kharma45

Stock. I didn't install. I have a guy that I deal with.

Look about getting new paste and remounting it. Sounds like it was put on wrong.

I'm not finding that model at all, I have options for a Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 3 or 5 in a similar price range (+20% though).
If they have the same chip (Z97), aren't the differences just about layout and connectivity ?

There is, 530W instead of 550W, a bit more pricey (+20%).
Really worth the difference ?

What sites are available for you to buy from? And your total budget?

mkenyon

Banned
Look about getting new paste and remounting it. Sounds like it was put on wrong.

What sites are available for you to buy from? And your total budget?
Or just not seated all the way. Try pushing the four pins in as hard as you can.
uhhh. maybe. I thought processors were quad or dual core.

This is for a gaming laptop.
The amount of RAM and number of cores on a processor aren't really related much in terms of performance. Though generally, if you need more RAM, chances are you will probably benefit from more cores, given that the main purpose of having that much RAM is multimedia related.

appaws

Banned
Stock. I didn't install. I have a guy that I deal with.

Well, the stock coolers are garbage....but I wouldn't think it would be that hot. It may need to be remounted if it was put on with too much or too little (or no) TIM....or if the little plastic cover that goes over pre-applied TIM was left on....I've heard of that happening....

mkenyon

Banned
I'm being a dingbat obviously.

Is quad core blanket better than dual, or does it not matter sometimes?
Gotcha.

It matters outside of that single spec. IPC (instructions per clock) matters a ton for gaming. A 1.5 GHz Intel quad core would generally be outperformed by a 3.0 GHz Intel dual core, for instance (assuming they're the same architecture).

appaws

Banned
I'm being a dingbat obviously.

Is quad core blanket better than dual, or does it not matter sometimes?

a quad core blanket? I need one of those.

Generally I would say yes, that a quad core is better than dual....

But it depends on the application you are running....a lot of games for example....per thread IPC (instructions per clock) is more important than having more cores.

I keep getting beat by MKenyon....I am distracted by watching the Belgians (good beer) and the Algerians (cool name, Desert Foxes).

Don't dread it. It's so much fun and your machine will look so purdy.
I don't mind the work in building anything. My CPU cooler is bottlenecked by the TIM already so going water would mean a custom loop for the GPUs and I really don't need another money pit lol

Was your TV plugged in to a strip?

If your mobo has outputs, do those work?
If it's a new card, uninstall the old drivers.

Anything I should be aware of when switching over? All my previous PCs had ATI in them, but I'll be getting a EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR GTX 760 2GB in tomorrow. Is it going to be a hassle to get rid of ATI's drivers and Set up the new ones?

Also, will I be ok with my current PSU?

My current rig is nothing special, so I'm not expecting too much of a boost until I do a full upgrade: Coolermaster Centurion 5e, Gigabyte UD3 770, OCZ 500W Modular 80+, HIS HD 4890 1GB, Phenom II X3 720 BE OC'd to 3.52 GHz, 6GB DDR2 800, Samsung 640GB 7200 16MB.
Woot! My package got here a day early. So, I'll be setting this up tonight.

Do I need to do anything other than uninstall CCC / my drivers, power down to replace the card and then install nvidia's drivers upon reboot?

Drake

Why not go with Devils Canyon (4790k)? Better temps and higher base clock, also better OC potential due to the temps.

yeah now that I look at it, it's the exact same price as the 4770k on newegg. I wonder if they're going to be sold out as soon as it releases.

fuzaco

Hey guys, I'm gonna upgrade my GPU soon, and I can't really decide between the GTX770 and the 280X. The 280X is 50$ cheaper, but I don't know how good AMD's drivers have become, and if I can count on them to keep supporting the card (not like what they did with the HD2000-4000 series). My friends also told me to go nvidia because most games are optimized for nvidia cards and AMD ones have trouble with them.

I don't really care about the nvidia features, some of them are nice for sure, but I can live without them.

Kalm

So, after months of waiting for news on Maxwell -- official specs, firm release date, anything -- I finally caved and ordered two 780 Ti cards on Sunday night.

Almost threw up when I woke up this morning and saw this at Tom's:

NeVdDjr.jpg

I gathered myself and clicked through to find that their "report" is just a sh*tty forum rumor sourced from a single post. They also mention a recent rumor that the 880 will ship with a 256-bit interface (likely) and 8GB of VRAM (lol).

Yeaaaaaaa. F*ck you, GTX 880...you tardy, almost definitely underwhelming, mid-range bastard. And, jesus, f*ck Tom's Hardware for their egregious mis-use of "Report". SMH.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey guys, I'm gonna upgrade my GPU soon, and I can't really decide between the GTX770 and the 280X. The 280X is 50$ cheaper, but I don't know how good AMD's drivers have become, and if I can count on them to keep supporting the card (not like what they did with the HD2000-4000 series). My friends also told me to go nvidia because most games are optimized for nvidia cards and AMD ones have trouble with them.

I don't really care about the nvidia features, some of them are nice for sure, but I can live without them.
I just swapped my 670 for a 290 and I think my old 6950 xfire drivers fucked the reinstall of the card, but as it is now everything seems fine and the extra GB of VRAM could help down the line with the 280X.

Sounds like your friends hasn't been keeping up with AMD's advancements. The only real drawback for most people IMO with AMD is nVidia has better day 0 support for game launches, AMD is usually fine, but sometimes needs 1-2 days to iron out some things.

0 days are hit and miss for both companies.

Lately it feels like the launch window performance for games is getting increasingly worse, side effect of PC gaming's reliance on driver-side assistance to get games working properly. Hopefully this goes away with DX12.

Nvidia does have a quicker turnaround time on driver updates, I think.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
700TB seems pretty good. Basically don't have to worry. Like to see a new test when all the 16nm stuff is out.
0 days are hit and miss for both companies.

Lately it feels like the launch window performance for games is getting increasingly worse, side effect of PC gaming's reliance on driver-side assistance to get games working properly. Hopefully this goes away with DX12.

Nvidia does have a quicker turnaround time on driver updates, I think.
Maybe FC3 is just lingering too much in my head then.

Water

Oh, a civilised desktop, most definitely. There's one advantage with the next-door setup in that the PC would physically be in my office so would be more appropriately placed for non-gaming purposes (who am I kidding? It's a games machine! But it's nice to have the option). I've no experience whatsoever of PC gaming so have no idea how loud they need to run to keep cool, but I imagine it would be louder than my single-fan original Xbox 360, which was annoyingly loud at times (not so much the subsequent models). And speaking of the 360, I'm on my sixth, so am totally paranoid about things overheating. I'd never want to throttle fans back to keep the PC quiet. Putting it in the room next door seems like a sensible solution.
Your assumption is wrong. When I'm building a desktop my baseline expectation is I don't want to be able to tell if it's on or not, other than when it's running a game. That doesn't need anything exotic or expensive, just considering the noise aspect when picking the components and maybe paying a little extra for them. At full load, those same component choices still serve to keep the noise in check, just not completely. Consoles are much louder, which is logical. They also burn large amounts of power, but do it in a much smaller space, run smaller fans which have to spin faster = noise, and are built cheaply whereas even affordable gaming PCs can have large and heavy heatsinks, heavy cases with noise damping material built in, etc.

MadSexual

Was your TV plugged in to a strip?

If your mobo has outputs, do those work?
If it's a new card, uninstall the old drivers.
The TV was on a strip. The inputs all appear to be dead. It isn't taking a signal from anything. The display still shows menus, so the display is working. I'm nervous about turning it on with that smell coming from it, though.

The mobo is an ancient LGA 775 board, so the video outs are VGA and that even older serial type. I don't get a signal from it in Windows, but I haven't tried to see if the BIOS screen loads through it. The processor is equally ancient and I'm not sure it even has a gpu. I think it's an e6700.

Are you in the Pac NW? Had lightning here yesterday too.
West Virginia. The storm was pretty short but passed right over my neighborhood.

So, after months of waiting for news on Maxwell -- official specs, firm release date, anything -- I finally caved and ordered two 780 Ti cards on Sunday night.

Almost threw up when I woke up this morning and saw this at Tom's:

NeVdDjr.jpg

I gathered myself and clicked through to find that their "report" is just a sh*tty forum rumor sourced from a single post. They also mention a recent rumor that the 880 will ship with a 256-bit interface (likely) and 8GB of VRAM (lol).

Yeaaaaaaa. F*ck you, GTX 880...you tardy, almost definitely underwhelming, mid-range bastard. And, jesus, f*ck Tom's Hardware for their egregious mis-use of "Report". SMH.

Why would you care if the 880 was cheaper? Why are you relieved? You think others should pay more for the next card so you can justify whatever you paid for your card? How small of you

MadSexual

Why would you care if the 880 was cheaper? Why are you relieved? You think others should pay more for the next card so you can justify whatever you paid for your card? How small of you
How do you get that from his post? Is this a joke reference?

Most of us want bang for buck, especially when we accept that we're already paying an Nvidia tax. I'd be upset too if that turned out to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom