• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stubo

Why would you care if the 880 was cheaper? Why are you relieved? You think others should pay more for the next card so you can justify whatever you paid for your card? How small of you
Now now, it's nothing to do with what anyone else pays for their card. You're naturally going to feel like you should've waited if superior hardware comes out for a lower price. Everyone wants the best value for their money!

mkenyon

Banned
So, after months of waiting for news on Maxwell -- official specs, firm release date, anything -- I finally caved and ordered two 780 Ti cards on Sunday night.

Almost threw up when I woke up this morning and saw this at Tom's:

NeVdDjr.jpg

I gathered myself and clicked through to find that their "report" is just a sh*tty forum rumor sourced from a single post. They also mention a recent rumor that the 880 will ship with a 256-bit interface (likely) and 8GB of VRAM (lol).

Yeaaaaaaa. F*ck you, GTX 880...you tardy, almost definitely underwhelming, mid-range bastard. And, jesus, f*ck Tom's Hardware for their egregious mis-use of "Report". SMH.
I hope you learned your lesson. Stop going to Tom's. :p

TechReport, PCPer, and Guru3D are more than enough to catch everything going on.

I am looking into these parts to build my first desktop and I was wondering if some fellow GAF members would help this console peasant see if this rig will help me achieve my goals:

CPU: Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: Two Crucial MX100 SSDs (one 256GB, the other 512GB)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX
Power Supply: Antec Basiq 500W ATX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case

Main Use: 5. Gaming, Video Editing, Streaming in HD, and General Usage.

I would like to play my games at 1080p. I probably will buy a new monitor for it, but I can hook it up to my TV through HDMI. I would ideally like to upgrade the video card at some point in the future.

I would like to run the Adobe Production products (Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Photoshop) smoothly without any trouble. For the sake of seeing how this will do in terms of game performance, I will say Crysis 3 and The Witcher 2.

I maybe getting these parts based on my own budget and time. No getting all of these at once unless money comes flying out of my patootie, which seems unlikely.

How long would this rig last before I would have to consider seriously upgrading parts? Any other advice? Help would be greatly appreciated.

mkenyon

Banned
I am looking into these parts to build my first desktop and I was wondering if some fellow GAF members would help this console peasant see if this rig will help me achieve my goals:

Main Use: 5. Gaming, Video Editing, Streaming in HD, and General Usage.

I would like to play my games at 1080p. I probably will buy a new monitor for it, but I can hook it up to my TV through HDMI. I would ideally like to upgrade the video card at some point in the future.

I would like to run the Adobe Production products (Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Photoshop) smoothly without any trouble. For the sake of seeing how this will do in terms of game performance, I will say Crysis 3 and The Witcher 2.

I maybe getting these parts based on my own budget and time. No getting all of these at once unless money comes flying out of my patootie, which seems unlikely.

How long would this rig last before I would have to consider seriously upgrading parts? Any other advice? Help would be greatly appreciated.
First off, that's not really a thing here on GAF. It used to be bannable awhile back, and still frowned upon. We're all one community playing games <3

Looks solid. I'd probably try and find a way to squeeze in a better PSU though. I'd also push for an aftermarket heatsink.

jfoul

Today I received the Gigabyte R9 290X OC I bought from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $330. The retail box showed up in very good condition, almost like new.

3O7ggZal.jpg

Opened up the box and nothing seems to be missing.
WajJ6lVl.jpg

I installed the 290X after removing my Nvidia driver/software and running CClean. It posted with video, and booted into Windows 8.1 on the first try. Installation of the Catalyst Control Center went smoothly, with no video/audio issues after restart.
AC025OUl.jpg

Bonus picture of the old/filler card, and some relics from the past.
hkoPLI3l.jpg

So far, I've ran through about 20 games on my Steam Library ranging from small indie to demanding AAA. I ran into a small issue with Tomb Raider while switching graphic settings to Ultra. The game black screened and rebooted my desktop. I went back into the game afterwards and played for 10 minutes, and everything was fine.

A used non-ref R9 290X for $330 is an amazing price, even as used. With Amazon's awesome return policy I have one month to put this card through torture to make sure it's stable. I also think the Gigabyte 3 year warranty goes by serial/manufacture date, but I need to call them for confirmation.

Amazon still has these through Warehouse Deals for $$330.97 and I fully recommend it... for now.

First off, that's not really a thing here on GAF. It used to be bannable awhile back, and still frowned upon. We're all one community playing games <3

Looks solid. I'd probably try and find a way to squeeze in a better PSU though.

Extremely sorry! I think I should have read the thread better, I thought this was thing for this thread.

The others here know way more, but I think 500W might be pushing it for that card.

Smokey

So, after months of waiting for news on Maxwell -- official specs, firm release date, anything -- I finally caved and ordered two 780 Ti cards on Sunday night.

Almost threw up when I woke up this morning and saw this at Tom's:

NeVdDjr.jpg

I gathered myself and clicked through to find that their "report" is just a sh*tty forum rumor sourced from a single post. They also mention a recent rumor that the 880 will ship with a 256-bit interface (likely) and 8GB of VRAM (lol).

Yeaaaaaaa. F*ck you, GTX 880...you tardy, almost definitely underwhelming, mid-range bastard. And, jesus, f*ck Tom's Hardware for their egregious mis-use of "Report". SMH.

Sorry but I lold at this post :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
A 500W power supply would be fine if it was something like a 760. A 770 is pushing it though.
If you are aware it is fine. As long as you don't give it max volts and run FURMark and CPU load it at the same time it shouldn't go much past 440W system load, so <400W typical max. (P95 and FURMARK on my 4.5Ghz i7 and OC'd 670 drew <400W)

Would I suggest a 550w or 600B instead? Sure.

If you are aware it is fine. As long as you don't give it max volts and run FURMark and CPU load it at the same time it shouldn't go much past 400W system load.

Would I suggest a 550w or 600B instead? Sure.

OK, I think I will up the PSU a little bit. Any recommended brands?

maneil99

880 rumors are flying, seems like it will be Q3-Q4, 8gb Vram, 28nm. Likely faster then a 780 Ti for $499~. Don't see it being slower then a 780Ti as there is only a 15% difference between the 780 ->Ti so releasing a new card that's only 10-15% vs last gen would be unprecedented. I'll hold onto my $ for the flagship however.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
OK, I think I will up the PSU a little bit. Any recommended brands?
:D http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151121
Maybe a little overkill...

Cheap: 600B, CX600
I like: BP550 because I'm an old man and hate change
Others to consider: Modular HIVE units (550W / 650W)

Honestly the Plat unit will probably pay for itself in electricity over it's lifetime so you might as well go with it :p
8gb Vram, Likely faster then a 780 Ti for $499~.
Hook me up with your dealer you on are on powerful shit my friend.

880 rumors are flying, seems like it will be Q3-Q4, 8gb Vram, 28nm. Likely faster then a 780 Ti for $499~. Don't see it being slower then a 780Ti as there is only a 15% difference between the 780 ->Ti so releasing a new card that's only 10-15% vs last gen would be unprecedented. I'll hold onto my $ for the flagship however.

Wait for the 880ti it is then, and holy hell at those rumored specs/price. I wonder how much that will be.

Today I received the Gigabyte R9 290X OC I bought from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $330. The retail box showed up in very good condition, almost like new.

3O7ggZal.jpg

Opened up the box and nothing seems to be missing.

I installed the 290X after removing my Nvidia driver/software and running CClean. It posted with video, and booted into Windows 8.1 on the first try. Installation of the Catalyst Control Center went smoothly, with no video/audio issues after restart.

So far, I've ran through about 20 games on my Steam Library ranging from small indie to demanding AAA. I ran into a small issue with Tomb Raider while switching graphic settings to Ultra. The game black screened and rebooted my desktop. I went back into the game afterwards and played for 10 minutes, and everything was fine.

A used non-ref R9 290X for $330 is an amazing price, even as used. With Amazon's awesome return policy I have one month to put this card through torture to make sure it's stable. I also think the Gigabyte 3 year warranty goes by serial/manufacture date, but I need to call them for confirmation.

Amazon still has these through Warehouse Deals for $$330.97 and I fully recommend it... for now.

I had a faulty r9 290x it would black screen within minutes of heavy investive games Battlefield 4 and The Witcher 2 on Ultra.

If you have another ... test the crap out on Ultra.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, there's a number of initial 290s and 290x's with Black Screen of Death reports. Could be one of those cards, but if you deal with GB instead of Amazon, they'll send you a fresh new one.
Wait for the 880ti it is then, and holy hell at those rumored specs/price. I wonder how much that will be.
You'll likely be holding out for the 980, which should be the Maxwell equivalent of the 780.

Smokey

It's Nvidia. They would not release a card with 8GB of VRAM for $500.

jfoul

Yup.

Only thing to keep in mind is that the GB definitely runs a bit louder than the Sapphire. But the GB will be easier to resell due to transferable warranty.

I know the Tri-X and Vapor-X are pretty quiet. Under heavy load, the GB has been really quiet so far.

Reven

That 290X deal is great. I picked up a reference GTX 780 just a few days before that was posted for $350 and thought it was a great deal, now I'm sorta wishing I waited a little bit. Oh well.

jfoul

I'm going to pretend I didn't read the rumors today, and just be happy with my recent 290X purchase.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member
I hope someone can help me with my internet speed problems.

I have a 200mbit connection. I use a modem and a router. Now when i plug my cable directly in the modem i get my full 200mbit connection (this rules out that i have a bad cable or network card). Now when i use the router (and only one port just my pc) i only get 160 mbit. I already tried updating firmware and resetting etc, doesnt really help. The router is an Linksys E3000 which should be enough to get 200mbit. Anyone has an idea what this could be?

This review suggests that the WAN-LAN throughput on your router is 218Mbps - the CPU can't handle anything faster.

I would assume that other services on your router such as QoS, NAT, WiFi and uPNP also use CPU resources and as a result lead to a reduced speed.

You could try disabling as many services as possible on your router and enabling DMZ to see if that's the cause of your issue.

Looking to get advice on a build I might be getting soon. Also would like to know if i could lower the price of the build without affecting performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $645.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Your Current Specs: n/a
Budget: 600-650/USA
Main Use: Gaming - 5
Emulation - 2
Video Editing - 1
Streaming games in HD - 1
3D/Model work - 3, a little photoshop here and there
General Usage - 5
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? 1080p or higher preferably Are you going to upgrade later? Maybe Are you buying a new monitor? Maybe

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Battlefield 4, GTA V, some other games must run at 60+ fps

When will you build?: Not sure. Sometime this or next month, no deadline.
Will you be overclocking?: No.

Mascot

Your assumption is wrong. When I'm building a desktop my baseline expectation is I don't want to be able to tell if it's on or not, other than when it's running a game. That doesn't need anything exotic or expensive, just considering the noise aspect when picking the components and maybe paying a little extra for them. At full load, those same component choices still serve to keep the noise in check, just not completely. Consoles are much louder, which is logical. They also burn large amounts of power, but do it in a much smaller space, run smaller fans which have to spin faster = noise, and are built cheaply whereas even affordable gaming PCs can have large and heavy heatsinks, heavy cases with noise damping material built in, etc.

Useful stuff! Thanks very much indeed.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Excuse me for this second try, but is no one willing to take a minute to help me understand how I should set up my power saving options in order to have the PC always on, not at full capacity but still able to stream ?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116971712&postcount=983
Idle wattage is very low on PCs (11W on GPU) and by default your CPU will downclock and undervolt.

If you mean extra stuff like HDDs spin down after 20 minutes (in power options), or actual sleep mode and wake on LAN / PXE then I dunno.

kharma45

Looking to get advice on a build I might be getting soon. Also would like to know if i could lower the price of the build without affecting performance.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $645.90

Your Current Specs: n/a
Budget: 600-650/USA
Main Use: Gaming - 5
Emulation - 2
Video Editing - 1
Streaming games in HD - 1
3D/Model work - 3, a little photoshop here and there
General Usage - 5
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? 1080p or higher preferably Are you going to upgrade later? Maybe Are you buying a new monitor? Maybe

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Battlefield 4, GTA V, some other games must run at 60+ fps

When will you build?: Not sure. Sometime this or next month, no deadline.
Will you be overclocking?: No.

AMD isn't a good option for gaming.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($112.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($64.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($216.60 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($44.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($67.98 @ Best Buy)
Total: $631.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 16:26 EDT-0400

and if you'd consider overclocking

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($74.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $646.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 16:24 EDT-0400

and you could upgrade down the line to an i5 or i7 and have the OCing option with your Z97 board with this. The Pentium will outperform AMD stuff in a lot of CPU heavy games, especially when OC'd.

Li Kao

Idle wattage is very low on PCs (11W on GPU) and by default your CPU will downclock and undervolt.

If you mean extra stuff like HDDs spin down after 20 minutes (in power options), or actual sleep mode and wake on LAN / PXE then I dunno.

Well, I'm not really tech savvy. Consequently I have used my PC "traditionally" for many years. Need it ? Turn it on. Don't need it anymore ? Shut down. Then for many years I have not bothered to shut it down every time it wasn't needed. This little speech to tell you how much power management is an alien setting to me.
But times change and now that I have a tablet I could see me streaming to it in bed.

Then at the same time, the PC is turned on long enough as it is, I would like to know what power management settings I should adopt in order for it to be usable in the middle of the night without being on full power.
I have read about away mode, but then again, I don't know what I'm doing.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2613...nter_pcs_power_management_with_away_mode.html

mkenyon

Banned
AMD isn't a good option for gaming.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($112.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($64.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($67.98 @ Best Buy)
Total: $631.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 16:26 EDT-0400

and if you'd consider overclocking

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($74.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $646.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 16:24 EDT-0400

and you could upgrade down the line to an i5 or i7 and have the OCing option with your Z97 board with this. The Pentium will outperform AMD stuff in a lot of CPU heavy games, especially when OC'd.
I'd actually avoid the Pentium given the penchant for GTA V and BF4. Though we don't have any numbers with it OC'd in BF4, how its predecessor fared would have me worried a bit. The i3 with a 4690K or 4790K down the line would probably be a better bet.

kharma45

I'd actually avoid the Pentium given the penchant for GTA V and BF4. Though we don't have any numbers with it OC'd in BF4, how its predecessor fared would have me worried a bit. The i3 with a 4690K or 4790K down the line would probably be a better bet.

Match in a Z97 board instead then from the Pentium build for that?

mkenyon

Banned
Match in a Z97 board instead then from the Pentium build for that?
The thing to keep in mind about the 4690K and 4790K is that even if you don't OC, you're running at 4.2 GHz. I don't think it's the necessary upgrade that it has been in the past, given the relatively low clock speeds of the previous K chips.

kharma45

The thing to keep in mind about the 4690K and 4790K is that even if you don't OC, you're running at 4.2 GHz. I don't think it's the necessary upgrade that it has been in the past, given the relatively low clock speeds of the previous K chips.

Not with the 4690K you're not, it turbos to 3.9.

LxQOG4k.gif

Richard Huddy ripping Nvidia a new one on PCPer stream

God damn, this is hilarious, he's dared Nvidia to release devs off NDA with a press release/blog post to prove they don't have them on NDA telling them not to work with AMD

Smokey

I don't see it for 699$, maybe they go for $600 but I think the final resting place for the 880 will be $499 after AMD's release. It will defiantly be 8gb though

$600. Consider it the Nvidia tax.

Also Mkenyon despises Tom Hardware SP referencing them won't help. Just saying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom