• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackHerer

Can anyone explain to me the major differences between the standard Titan Black and the EVGA versions? EVGA has several versions that are slightly more expensive. One is called "super clocked" and the other is "HydroCopper". I am assuming both of these are overclocked some what but are there any other differences.

Are the performance gains of these versions significant over the stock nvidia cards?

mkenyon

Banned
Hydrocopper has a waterblock on it that requires a custom water loop.

The other one is overclocked out of the box.

But I'd really suggest a 6GB 780 over a Titan Black, or a 290X if you aren't set on G-Sync/Shadowplay.

Stubo

Can anyone explain to me the major differences between the standard Titan Black and the EVGA versions? EVGA has several versions that are slightly more expensive. One is called "super clocked" and the other is "HydroCopper". I am assuming both of these are overclocked some what but are there any other differences.

Are the performance gains of these versions significant over the stock nvidia cards?
6GB EVGA GTX Titan Black, 28nm, PCIe 3.0, 7000MHz GDDR5, GPU 941MHz, Boost 980MHz, Cores 2880, DPort/DVI/HDMI

6GB EVGA GTX Titan Black SC, 28nm, PCIe 3.0, 7000MHz GDDR5, GPU 967MHz, Boost 1072MHz, Cores 2880, DPort/DVI/HDMI

6GB EVGA GTX Titan Black Hydro Copper, 7000MHz GDDR5, GPU 1006MHz, Boost 1111MHz, Cores 2880, DP/DVI/HDMI

Hydro Copper requires a custom watercooling loop to plumb into:
xYBmoDGl.jpg
mXgRznXl.jpg

Stubo

Haha I felt so beaten :(

Maybe also worth mentioning to anyone considering a Titan Black that Gigabyte have a version which comes with a new 600W version of their windforce cooler for you to fit to the card.

This has the same 1006MHz core, 1111MHz Boost clocks as the Hydro Copper but on air cooling.

Bulzeeb

Hi guys, it is possible to find a new gaming laptop that can run most new games on high for a budget on $1200 usd or less? thanks in advance (I don't live in the US and I am planning to import something)

edit: V thanks =D

riflen

Well, I'm not really tech savvy. Consequently I have used my PC "traditionally" for many years. Need it ? Turn it on. Don't need it anymore ? Shut down. Then for many years I have not bothered to shut it down every time it wasn't needed. This little speech to tell you how much power management is an alien setting to me.
But times change and now that I have a tablet I could see me streaming to it in bed.

Then at the same time, the PC is turned on long enough as it is, I would like to know what power management settings I should adopt in order for it to be usable in the middle of the night without being on full power.
I have read about away mode, but then again, I don't know what I'm doing.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2613...nter_pcs_power_management_with_away_mode.html

Can you clarify what you're trying to achieve? When you're using it in the middle of the night, do you want the PC to be using less than full power, or do you mean it's in a low-power state until you need it?
If it's the latter, you should probably look at wake-on-lan. There are free apps for Android or iOS that can wake your PC from a low-power sleep state. You can configure your PC to sleep after a period of your choice through control panel power settings.

JackHerer

Thanks for the explanation guys. Was helpful. I am planning on water cooling so I may go for the Hydro Copper. It is an extra $400 though so not sure if it's worth it.

Hydrocopper has a waterblock on it that requires a custom water loop.

The other one is overclocked out of the box.

But I'd really suggest a 6GB 780 over a Titan Black, or a 290X if you aren't set on G-Sync/Shadowplay.

Why? I am set on nvidia I think because I am planning on getting the recently announced Acer 4K G-Sync monitor. My current plan is to go with 4x SLI Titan Blacks.

Along with i7 4790k 4.0GHz (Devils Canyon) + ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME (Intel Z87 Chipset) for the motherboard. (Chose this because it is compatible with Devil's Canyon and supports 4x SLI).

With some help and research of my own, I've come up with this. Are there any parts I should switch out for anything better? I want to make sure I get the perfect list for streaming and playing games with the least problems possible.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

I was also recommended the Processor + Motherboard Combo: i7 4870k + Sabertooth X79 Socket 2011 X79 ATX. (not included in my partpicker list)

My budget is around $1400.00 by the way if that helps for any parts that need to be exchanged with another.

Stubo

Thanks for the explanation guys. Was helpful. I am planning on water cooling so I may go for the Hydro Copper. It is an extra $400 though so not sure if it's worth it.

Why? I am set on nvidia I think because I am planning on getting the recently announced Acer 4K G-Sync monitor. My current plan is to go with 4x SLI Titan Blacks.

Along with i7 4790k 4.0GHz (Devils Canyon) + ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME (Intel Z87 Chipset) for the motherboard. (Chose this because it is compatible with Devil's Canyon and supports 4x SLI).
This is the most overkill thing possible, it's beautiful. If I'm not mistaken you'll want an enthusiast motherboard and CPU because of the PCI-E lane restrictions?

I'm no expert on water cooling, but you're probably going to want a custom waterblock to deal with 4 cards close together like that, the hydro copper would physically not fit?

Something like this:
HgkJDkG.jpg

mkenyon

Banned

Because you are paying $450 per card for a 1-5% boost in performance:

BhWyhV1.png

Review here: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_780_strix_6_gb_graphics_card_review,18.html

Also, you'll probably want to stick to 3 way SLI. 4 way is horribly unoptimized and buggy as shit. It works out okay for benchmarking, but is really terrible for gaming.

To save a bit on the motherboard, check out the ASUS Z97-WS. Alternatively, you could look at just about any X79 motherboard and go with a 4820K. Socket 2011, as far as gaming goes, is pretty much designed for your purposes. It has 42 PCI-E lanes, whereas the consumer socket (1155/1150) only has 16 PCI-E lanes. The motherboards like the ASUS-WS or MVII Extreme use PLX chips to multiply PCI-E lanes. While it gets the job done, it does introduce a smidgen bit of latency that you can avoid by going X79.

*edit*

And as per above, if sound is an issue to you, I definitely would suggest looking at the possibility of watercooling that setup. You'll go from a fairly noisy machine to something that is as quiet as a single GPU PC at idle.

*edit 2*

I also don't want you to think I'm naysaying what's going on. I very much approve of overkill PCs. Just want to make sure you are aware of your options out there before diving in on a $5000+ PC.

scogoth

Sorry smokey, we have to strip your name off the build list now =(

This is the most overkill thing possible, it's beautiful. If I'm not mistaken you'll want an enthusiast motherboard and CPU because of the PCI-E lane restrictions?

I'm no expert on water cooling, but you're probably going to want a custom waterblock to deal with 4 cards close together like that, the hydro copper would physically not fit?

Something like this:

Yeah stubo is right, 4 cards put out a LOT of heat, you can do 4 blowers if you have some external ventilation to push it away from the back of the computer but it will be loud...

Review here: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_780_strix_6_gb_graphics_card_review,18.html

Also, you'll probably want to stick to 3 way SLI. 4 way is horribly unoptimized and buggy as shit. It works out okay for benchmarking, but is really terrible for gaming.

To save a bit on the motherboard, check out the ASUS Z97-WS. Alternatively, you could look at just about any X79 motherboard and go with a 4820K. Socket 2011, as far as gaming goes, is pretty much designed for your purposes. It has 42 PCI-E lanes, whereas the consumer socket (1155/1150) only has 16 PCI-E lanes. The motherboards like the ASUS-WS or MVII Extreme use PLX chips to multiply PCI-E lanes. While it gets the job done, it does introduce a smidgen bit of latency that you can avoid by going X79.

*edit*

And as per above, if sound is an issue to you, I definitely would suggest looking at the possibility of watercooling that setup. You'll go from a fairly noisy machine to something that is as quiet as a single GPU PC at idle.

Good value? No
Better performance? Probably not
Ridiculously badass? In my view, yes. But only after water and aesthetics are properly done.

EDIT: *thumbs up* for mkenyon's edit 2
EDIT2: Also my PC was $5000+ and thats only with 2 measly 680s. This is like a $10000+ machine if you add water and cable mods.

Stubo

Just Googling for images of the blocks and quad setups in general makes me hungry for new parts. My monitor doesn't even need more power to drive...this thread is bad for me!

Sensible answer: Wait for the 8-series of GPUs, buy 2-3 of the 880/Ti, acquire sweet 4k frame rates!

scogoth

Just Googling for images of the blocks and quad setups in general makes me hungry for new parts. My monitor doesn't even need more power to drive...this thread is bad for me!

Sensible answer: Wait for the 8-series of GPUs, buy 2-3 of the 880/Ti, acquire sweet 4k frame rates!

Next year is going to be fun. I'm planning an epic build for next summer too

JackHerer

]This is the most overkill thing possible, it's beautiful[/B]. If I'm not mistaken you'll want an enthusiast motherboard and CPU because of the PCI-E lane restrictions?

Something like this:
HgkJDkG.jpg

Overkill is the point here :) I want to build the ultimate 4k gaming rig. Perhaps I will just go for the superclocked version then if I decide to go with the Titan Black.

I wasn't aware of this. Anymore info available? Will 3-way actually perform better than 4 cards or are you saying that the gains just aren't worth it?

Smokey

If you are going to do this you need to go with a 2011 board and a 4820k, 4930k, or 4960x. The 2011 platform offers more PCIe lanes and is geared towards setups like these. 4820 is quad core. The other two are 6 core, with the 4960x being $1,000. Only thing different between it and the 4930k is the amount of cache available.

I built a similar rig last weekend. I have a 4k monitor as well so if you have questions about anything feel free to ask.

I would suggest doing just 3 cards, but if you want to do 4 rumble young man rumble! Quad SLI is really not optimized for gaming. Looks good though!

I did some gaming yesterday and got the following:

Smokey said:
First gaming benchmark ran on new machine - Tomb Raider Ultra everything @ 4K + TressFx:

avg fps - FXAA - 83fps
avg fps - 2x SSAA - 57fps
avg fps - 4x SSAA - 43fps

Still stock CPU and GPU. Kind of ridiculous lol
Played a little bit of Crysis 3. Very High (highest in game setting) + 4k w/ FXAA. First level which in my experience is one of the more demanding...I was around the 50fps mark. Went over 60 at some points. My cards are down clocking quick though. The top two cards get hot in a hurry, while the bottom stays cool. Temps were 83, 85, 68 in that order of the cards. Pretty crazy. That may ease up a bit once I change the order of the push/pull fans. Water may be in my future but I'm legit terrified.

I still believe Crysis 3 is in the top 3 visual compartment. Looks reallllly good.

I tried the Metro Last Light benchmark and it did not like my setup at all. Terrible utilization and my first card wouldn't hit it's boost clock. In some cases it down clocked. When the explosion scene happens my fps literally dropped in the single digits and some my cards were at 4%-10% utilization. Pretty terrible. I've never experienced that with 2x cards so maybe it's not built for 3. I expect to run into that a lot. But when the scaling does work, like in Tomb Raider and Crysis 3, it's ridiculous.

Keep in mind that some game engines are not optimized for 2+ SLI. You're getting into a really enthusiast area where game developers know most players will not be at. This is why I said you probably don't want to do Quad-SLI. It's even worse. Metro Last Light for example is terrible with it. When scaling works properly and uses all 3 cards though..it works and is beautiful.

riflen

Unless you're OK with putting water blocks on the GPUs yourself (it's not difficult, but not for everyone), the hydrocopper is your only choice I think.

I believe mkenyon is suggesting 6GB 780s are better value as the Titan is a halo product and you're basically paying for double-precision capability which is useless for games. I don't want to speak for him though.

Li Kao

Can you clarify what you're trying to achieve? When you're using it in the middle of the night, do you want the PC to be using less than full power, or do you mean it's in a low-power state until you need it?
If it's the latter, you should probably look at wake-on-lan. There are free apps for Android or iOS that can wake your PC from a low-power sleep state. You can configure your PC to sleep after a period of your choice through control panel power settings.

Yeah there may be miscommunication on my part due to my ignorance about the subject matter.
I just think streaming in bed would be cool and don't want my electricity bill to augment too much. I have no preference about which method to use. I was thinking about a PC in low power state which could begin streaming anytime (is that even possible ?). Now the wake-on-lan thing, does it mean that I will be able to turn on and shut down the PC from an external peripheral ? That would be cool too.
That's maybe why I'm unclear, I know what I want to achieve (insomnia ? stream on !), but I absolutely don't know how to achieve it.

Smokey

Unless you're OK with putting water blocks on the GPUs yourself (it's not difficult, but not for everyone), the hydrocopper is your only choice I think.

I believe mkenyon is suggesting 6GB 780s are better value as the Titan is a halo product and you're basically paying for double-precision capability which is useless for games. I don't want to speak for him though.

780 6GB has been out of stock for awhile. There's rumors it may not be a thing for much longer. But if they are available that is certainly a very attractive and much cheaper option.

I thought Devil's Canyon CPUs would feature 6-8 cores?

No. That's Haswell-E.

mkenyon

Banned
I wasn't aware of this. Anymore info available? Will 3-way actually perform better than 4 cards or are you saying that the gains just aren't worth it?
Yeah, it often performs worse than 3-Way.

epcvt1a.png

05LpySh.png

kKH6wgw.png

dUKLLoi.png

GPm6J7z.png

There's going to be times that it does work, but it's far less frequent than when it doesn't. It's pretty much the domain of benchmarking folks, not for gaming.

Exactly.

As Smokey points out though, they're a tad difficult to get your hands on right now. MSI and ASUS both recently released some, should be showing up soon.

So I almost have all of my PC parts and I just noticed I didn't get a heat sink unless the CPU comes with it since I haven't ordered it yet, in any case would I have to buy one and if so are they universal? Anything I should keep an eye out for?

Edit: Nm quick google search answered my question.

JackHerer

If you are going to do this you need to go with a 2011 board and a 4820k, 4930k, or 4960x. The 2011 platform offers more PCIe lanes and is geared towards setups like these. 4820 is quad core. The other two are 6 core, with the 4960x being $1,000. Only thing different between it and the 4930k is the amount of cache available.

I would suggest doing just 3 cards, but if you want to do 4 rumble young man rumble! Quad SLI is really not optimized for gaming. Looks good though!

Ok so I guess I will revise my build for 3 cards instead if the 4th is really not worth it. Still, you don't think I should use the 4790k? Is that just because the available motherboards that are compatible with it are not good for this kind of build?

Keep in mind that some game engines are not optimized for 2+ SLI. You're getting into a really enthusiast area where game developers know most players will not be at. This is why I said you probably don't want to do Quad-SLI. It's even worse. Metro Last Light for example is terrible with it. When scaling works properly and uses all 3 cards though..it works and is beautiful.

I see. I currently have a GTX 690 and have run into some games that don't even scale to two GPUs, let alone four. So in the cases where 2+ SLI is not truly supported do you just switch it to only utilize the first two? Is this simple to do, perhaps in nvidia control panel?

Also, what 4k monitor are you currently using? Are you happy with it? I'm planning on waiting for the Acer 4K G-sync model to come out but I'm still curious about what else is available.

Smokey

Ok so I guess I will revise my build for 3 cards instead if the 4th is really not worth it. Still, you don't think I should use the 4790k? Is that just because the available motherboards that are compatible with it are not good for this kind of build?

I see. I currently have a GTX 690 and have run into some games that don't even scale to two GPUs, let alone four. So in the cases where 2+ SLI is not truly supported do you just switch it to only utilize the first two? Is this simple to do, perhaps in nvidia control panel?

Also, what 4k monitor are you currently using? Are you happy with it? I'm planning on waiting for the Acer 4K G-sync model to come out but I'm still curious about what else is available.

The 2011 platform has more PCIe lanes available to use for GPUs. It is aimed at those who plan to have 2+ GPUs. The Z97 boards get around this by including a PLX chip which gives more lanes, but introduces a little bit of lag. For the type of machine you are wanting to build you probably want to go with 2011. Or wait until Haswell-E but who knows when that is coming. You can't go from 3 -> 2 way SLI in NVCP. At least not from what I can see. You can only go from whatever SLI config you have back to 1 card.

I currently have this Samsung 28'' 4k monitor. It gets the job done. The build quality isn't the best, and the stand is non adjustable. There are and will be better solutions such as this Asus 28'' 4k monitor.

mkenyon

Banned
So the PCI-E lanes are what transfer data between the CPU and GPUs. The PCI-E controller is physically on the processor.

Socket 1150/1155 stuff only has 16 PCI-E lanes on the processor. The socket 2011 stuff has 42 PCI-E lanes on the processor.

How the motherboards like the Maximus Extreme overcome this obstacle is by using PLX chips, which basically switches on and off certain PCI-E lanes, while buffering the data. This buffer creates a bit of input latency. That will not be an issue on an X79 motherboard with a socket 2011 chip, as you already have 42 to work with.

*edit*

More beat than Houston sports.

riflen

Yeah there may be miscommunication on my part due to my ignorance about the subject matter.
I just think streaming in bed would be cool and don't want my electricity bill to augment too much. I have no preference about which method to use. I was thinking about a PC in low power state which could begin streaming anytime (is that even possible ?). Now the wake-on-lan thing, does it mean that I will be able to turn on and shut down the PC from an external peripheral ? That would be cool too.
That's maybe why I'm unclear, I know what I want to achieve (insomnia ? stream on !), but I absolutely don't know how to achieve it.

More detail needed. What are you streaming in this scenario? If it's just audio/video files, then yes it's possible and pretty simple.

You wouldn't use wake-on-lan to shutdown the PC, you'd configure the Windows power profile to set the PC to sleep after x minutes/hours of inactivity. Wake-on-lan could be used to turn it on when needed. Wake-on-lan will need to be supported by your PC's network adapter in order to use this method.

Wounded

Is there any generally recommended cases?

Gonna be getting a new one next week and so far this:

H440_White_Main.png.pagespeed.ce.ciqlu6cqKM.png

is the top of my list. Doesn't come with a slot for a disc drive, but, I almost never use mine.

JackHerer

The 2011 platform has more PCIe lanes available to use for GPUs. It is aimed at those who plan to have 2+ GPUs. The Z97 boards get around this by including a PLX chip which gives more lanes, but introduces a little bit of lag. For the type of machine you are wanting to build you probably want to go with 2011. Or wait until Haswell-E but who knows when that is coming. You can't go from 3 -> 2 way SLI in NVCP. At least not from what I can see. You can only go from whatever SLI config you have back to 1 card.

I currently have this Samsung 28'' 4k monitor. It gets the job done. The build quality isn't the best, and the stand is non adjustable. There are and will be better solutions such as this Asus 28'' 4k monitor.

Thanks, good explanation. So using your example of Metro LL, with the 3 card SLI set up you posted, you would just have to deal with the awful performance for those games as a result of using 3 cards instead of just 2?

Tablo

LxQOG4k.gif

Richard Huddy ripping Nvidia a new one on PCPer stream

God damn, this is hilarious, he's dared Nvidia to release devs off NDA with a press release/blog post to prove they don't have them on NDA telling them not to work with AMD

Yeah Huddy went ham on that livestream lol!
Good on him, need more transparency on both sides.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks, good explanation. So using your example of Metro LL, with the 3 card SLI set up you posted, you would just have to deal with the awful performance for those games as a result of using 3 cards instead of just 2?
No, you can control all of that through the NVIDIA control panel. (Am I crazy here Smokey? I thought I remember that, but the last time I messed around with 3-Way was over a year ago with 670s). Or get a motherboard that lets you turn on and off specific PCI-E slots, like the Rampage IV Extreme Black.

riflen

It's not impossible to drop to 2 GPUs. There are a couple of methods I can think of.
1. Disable the 3rd GPU in Windows Device Manager before launching said game.
2. Use Nvidia Inspector to create a profile for the game that forces SLI max GPU count to 2.
I don't know if 2. is possible because I've not tried it myself.

mkenyon

Banned
Is there any generally recommended cases?

Gonna be getting a new one next week and so far this:

H440_White_Main.png.pagespeed.ce.ciqlu6cqKM.png

is the top of my list. Doesn't come with a slot for a disc drive, but, I almost never use mine.
The OP has a huge section of recommended cases.

The Phanteks Enthoo Pro just came out, and is a bit better than the H440, for less money.
It's not impossible to drop to 2 GPUs. There are a couple of methods I can think of.
2. Use Nvidia Inspector to create a profile for the game that forces SLI max GPU count to 2.
Damn, I thought it was possible to change that in the NVIDIA control panel.

FWIW, in my 6ish months of 3x670s, I don't remember ever having to disable just one of the cards. It was either all three or none, if the game had issues with SLI in general, then I'd just turn it off.
The Razer's version of this looks amazing
As much as I don't want to, I love that specific color of green. The Razer logo makes it kinda ehhhhhhhh though. It's like proclaiming that your case is going to fall apart in 1-3 years. :p

This is kind of a strange question, but does anyone know of any full tower cases that come in purple? And if that's not an option, is there someone that can custom paint them?

Smokey

No, you can control all of that through the NVIDIA control panel. (Am I crazy here Smokey? I thought I remember that, but the last time I messed around with 3-Way was over a year ago with 670s). Or get a motherboard that lets you turn on and off specific PCI-E slots, like the Rampage IV Extreme Black.

Outside of the Rampage IV BE where you can switch the individual lanes off and on, riflen's options are the only ways I can think to go from 3 to 2. I don't see anything in NVCP that'll let you do it.

Gumbie

As Smokey points out though, they're a tad difficult to get your hands on right now. MSI and ASUS both recently released some, should be showing up soon.

I've been looking around the past couple of weeks and the Zotac 780 6gb seem easier to find than the other brands. I have no experience with Zotac and don't know anything about them...so maybe there's a reason they're easier to find.

Nipo

So, reading this thread has convinced me I want to build a gaming PC. I've never done it before but I'm looking forward to it.

I really like the Ncase M1 and it looks like they are on preorder. Is it too small for someone's first build?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm very flexible on that. Right now I'm digging for pretty much anything.
You can custom order a case from CaseLabs or Little Devil to be powdercoated in your specific color.

Otherwise, you could get a case of your choice, and you'd want to probably get something all aluminum like Lian Li, and have that powdercoated at either a local shop or through an online service like FrozenCPU.

I went through this process with a friend of mine. He ordered the Caselabs SM8 in primer gray. His specific color combo required that the base coat be stripped entirely first. But, the primer gray can have another layer put over it if you don't want a fancy two-tone case.

Before:

After:

We just worked with a local powdercoating service. Check out possible colors at: http://www.prismaticpowders.com/

Abee cases does have a mATX case that is available in Purple, but that's not a full tower.

Also some inspiration for you, Snef's Purple Chimera:

Keep in mind, you're looking at $600ish for everything said and done :p

The cheapest way (outside of plastidip or spray paint) would be to get a full tower Lian Li and have that done locally. Would probably set you back $400 altogether.
So, reading this thread has convinced me I want to build a gaming PC. I've never done it before but I'm looking forward to it.

I really like the Ncase M1 and it looks like they are on preorder. Is it too small for someone's first build?
Not really. I mean, the space is tighter, and cable management will definitely be more difficult. You will also need to be careful on ordering specific parts to make sure everything fits. If you follow the guide in the third post, the stuff for the Prodigy should carry over pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom