• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soi-Fong

It won't necessarily bottleneck it, but it would sure love that extra easy and free 4.3ghz performance from the 2600k.

Rumor has it that it will be the 5960x. Intel's Extreme Edition chip so $1,000. And clocked at 3.0ghz :l

I've never really overclocked any CPU before. Would you have any guides on overclocking for my 2600k. I looked it up a bit more and an h100 apparently is a cooler meant for overclocking.

Smokey

I've never really overclocked any CPU before. Would you have any guides on overclocking for my 2600k. I looked it up a bit more and an h100 apparently is a cooler meant for overclocking.

From the OP. It's pretty simple and yes the H100 is a higher end All in One closed water cooling unit. Your 2600k is begging to stretch its legs out.

I was wondering if GAF could tear my build apart, considering I've only done this twice.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($195.91 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Extreme II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($469.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($116.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $1821.82

Budget: Around 1800, can go to 1900 -- USA
Main Use: Heavy programming and game playing @1080p.
Specific applications: IDEs, games at 60 FPS
When to build: around the beginning of August is the deadline

No reusing parts. Probably no overclocking.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I was wondering if GAF could tear my build apart, considering I've only done this twice.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($195.91 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Extreme II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($469.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($116.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $1821.82

Budget: Around 1800, can go to 1900 -- USA
Main Use: Heavy programming and game playing @1080p.
Specific applications: IDEs, games at 60 FPS
When to build: around the beginning of August is the deadline

No reusing parts. Probably no overclocking.
V750/V850 for PSU
840 Pro or MX100 for SSD imo
I'd get an MSI/GB 290X since it has a transferable 3YR warranty, or the Sapphire I think has the best cooler?
Dislike the 1200 a lot, but personal choice.
CPU HS is just added weight at that point for Haswell, I'd get the cheaper 120mm one.

Hi guys. Built my rig a few days ago and everything has been fine up until tonight. Was watching a few videos in Media Player Classic-HC and got the following screen corruption after I closed the window. (Ignore the dark line running diagonally. I screwed up in MS Paint)

oMos11R.jpg

Any ideas what might cause this?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Any recommendations for a graphics card and power supply?

Budget is $300-400 for the card, $200 for the power supply.
V750/V850
780 / 290 / 290X
Hi guys. Built my rig a few days ago and everything has been fine up until tonight. Was watching a few videos in Media Player Classic-HC and got the following screen corruption after I closed the window. (Ignore the dark line running diagonally. I screwed up in MS Paint)

oMos11R.jpg

Any ideas what might cause this?
Bad video drivers or bad card.

I had to do this yesterday and it's overkill, but only takes a few minutes:
http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-remove-your-amd-ati-gpu-drivers/0_50

V750/V850 for PSU
840 Pro or MX100 for SSD imo
I'd get an MSI/GB 290X since it has a transferable 3YR warranty, or the Sapphire I think has the best cooler?
Dislike the 1200 a lot, but personal choice.
CPU HS is just added weight at that point for Haswell, I'd get the cheaper 120mm one.

Are Hawell chips that much cooler nowadays? Also, thanks for the recommendations

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Are Hawell chips that much cooler nowadays?
Not cooler, but don't have great heat transfer (It's the IHS GAP not the TIM) so the cooling effectively goes to 'waste' with diminishing returns on most chips.

Even DC is looking only roughly a 5-10C load drop on chips that could sometimes reach 80C on water cooling.

Mascot

The first few posts in this thread are brilliantly informative, but as a PC Luddite I'd love the addition of a shorthand glossary so that when people are talking about a V850 or 290X I have somewhere to go to try and understand what the fuck they are talking about.!

:p

jfoul

I just got mine today too. Mine had obvious signs of being opened before and was missing everything except the cables despite them saying it had all accessories. Card itself looked good though. Installing drivers now and crossing my fingers..

edit: 1 hr of bioshock and it didn't crash. so far so good..

Every game I've thrown at it has run great, no signs of defects. I'll have some time after work to run some torture tests. If it breaks, I'll just return it to Amazon for a refund. This card is also super quiet even under gaming load, I'm impressed.

Update: The card passed the FurMark and Unigine full load burn/stress tests.
Update II: Elpida Memory :(

GHG

Gold Member
880 rumors are flying, seems like it will be Q3-Q4, 8gb Vram, 28nm. Likely faster then a 780 Ti for $499~. Don't see it being slower then a 780Ti as there is only a 15% difference between the 780 ->Ti so releasing a new card that's only 10-15% vs last gen would be unprecedented. I'll hold onto my $ for the flagship however.

I'm having a hard time believing this.

I think they will sell a 4GB version as the standard one and the 8GB one will be there for those who want it. The 880 looks like it will be the new 8800GT for this gen.

Looking forward to seeing what the performance of the 870/860 will be like as well.

Is the 880ti going to be the flagship then? Any rumored specs for that one?

What was special about the 8800gt?

So glad 800 series rumors are out, now I can sit and wait rather than pull the trigger on the 700 series

Evo X

So glad 800 series rumors are out, now I can sit and wait rather than pull the trigger on the 700 series

Mid ranged card that ran games at great settings for years. One of the best price/performance GPUs ever released.

GHG

Gold Member
Mid ranged card that ran games at great settings for years. One of the best price/performance GPUs ever released.

It was a card that had some serious legs as well. It lasted a lot of people for a very long time. It was a very well balanced card that was perfectly set up for last gen.

It was a card that had some serious legs as well. It lasted a lot of people for a very long time. It was a very well balanced card that was perfectly set up for last gen.

It probably still can easily play any ps3/x360 port at decent setting and 720p without problems.

GHG

Gold Member
It probably still can easily play any ps3/x360 port at decent setting and 720p without problems.

You mean PS4/Xbone right? Because it should be able to at 720p (possibly higher resolutions as well) for current gen games as well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The first few posts in this thread are brilliantly informative, but as a PC Luddite I'd love the addition of a shorthand glossary so that when people are talking about a V850 or 290X I have somewhere to go to try and understand what the fuck they are talking about.!

:p
The glossary would just be a feed of giant text updating by press releases.

Just google '________ computer part' if you need to know.

$230 for $500 performance (8800GTX)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2365/9

maneil99

I'm having a hard time believing this.

I think they will sell a 4GB version as the standard one and the 8GB one will be there for those who want it. The 880 looks like it will be the new 8800GT for this gen.

Looking forward to seeing what the performance of the 870/860 will be like as well.

Is the 880ti going to be the flagship then? Any rumored specs for that one?

I don't see why they would use a 8gb ES card then

riflen

Haven't really kept up lately, but is. Skylake planned for release in 2015? And will it be an 8 core CPU?

There's nothing pushing Intel to change its tune on their desktop parts. I'd expect 4 core/4 thread i5 and 4 core/8 thread i7 as before. 8 core parts are hard to manufacture at 22nm, I imagine 14nm is even more problematic.

As for release, Skylake is a tock release that follows Broadwell's tick. Broadwell has been delayed several times and the desktop parts won't arrive until probably Q2 2015. Skylake won't release until Broadwell desktop parts have been on sale for a year.

yatesl

DGGyArA.png

I feel like I should do something. Why are 780Ti's still £500, when I could probably only get about £150 for my 770 2GB? :(

880 rumors are flying, seems like it will be Q3-Q4, 8gb Vram, 28nm. Likely faster then a 780 Ti for $499~. Don't see it being slower then a 780Ti as there is only a 15% difference between the 780 ->Ti so releasing a new card that's only 10-15% vs last gen would be unprecedented. I'll hold onto my $ for the flagship however.

Please link to these rumors.

Dries

There's nothing pushing Intel to change its tune on their desktop parts. I'd expect 4 core/4 thread i5 and 4 core/8 thread i7 as before. 8 core parts are hard to manufacture at 22nm, I imagine 14nm is even more problematic.

As for release, Skylake is a tock release that follows Broadwell's tick. Broadwell has been delayed several times and the desktop parts won't arrive until probably Q2 2015. Skylake won't release until Broadwell desktop parts have been on sale for a year.

I'm looking to do a total upgrade halfway through 2015. So it seems like I'll be looking towards Broadwell then, maybe even Broadwell-E. Broadwell will feature 14nm though, right? Seeing as it is a previous tick to Skylake.

Skylake's tock means it will house a new architecture with the Broadwell transistor size. Normally, how much better/faster are these new architectures really in comparison to their previous ticks?

Please correct me with any factual errors please btw, I'm pretty new to all this.

Water

Stop it with the past tense, guys. My current uber gaming rig is powered by a 8800GTS.

riflen

I'm looking to do a total upgrade halfway through 2015. So it seems like I'll be looking towards Broadwell then, maybe even Broadwell-E. Broadwell will feature 14nm though, right? Seeing as it is a previous tick to Skylake.

Skylake's tock means it will house a new architecture with the Broadwell transistor size. Normally, how much better/faster are these new architectures really in comparison to their previous ticks?

Please correct me with any factual errors please btw, I'm pretty new to all this.

Yes, Broadwell is Haswell @ 14nm. You can read all about these CPUs and the roadmaps on wikipedia and tons of tech sites. Intel Ark also has every product listed.

The last node shrink was 32nm to 22nm with Westmere to Sandy Bridge. I think the performance increase was around 10% on average. Recent years has seen Intel focus mainly on reducing power usage for the same or slightly better performance.

Ivy to Haswell was more like a 6-7% increase if you were lucky (no process shrink), so up to 10% average increase for Broadwell over Haswell is realistic.

kiyomi

Rival arrived today, wow. Feels so good to play games with from the little test drive I have given it.

mxzGbHdl.jpg

Keep us updated on how you do with it. I really want the Rival but the way the rubberised texture seems to wear down looks like it could be a problem, as well as the general build quality.

ScRYeD

I've gotten my computer all setup and installed. Still have to paint the h105's ring thingy to the same green as my mobo and fix up the green cables to make it look neater, any tips? They are surprisingly hard to maneuver :( Also what something to change/cover the red/orange lights to green, how is the best way to do this? Any Suggestions?

Oh and i have to replace the rear 120m to a 140m fan AND I have a horrible horrible camera :(

Alright. So I'm looking at this guy : 770. I'm trying to keep it around $400. Is there a better options currently?

I'm coming from a 560ti, so I'm assuming this will be a considerable jump. The 770 is the same size and I'm using a 660W PSU anything else I should take into account?

Thanks!

Sorry, just quoting for the new page.

Alright. So I'm looking at this guy : 770. I'm trying to keep it around $400. Is there a better options currently?

I'm coming from a 560ti, so I'm assuming this will be a considerable jump. The 770 is the same size and I'm using a 660W PSU anything else I should take into account?

Thanks!
I also came from a GTX 560 and upgraded to a 770 (ASUS DCU2 OC 2GB version on eBay for $300 USD), this was before the whole "WatchDogs 3GB of VRAM needed"

-in retrospect I should've probably been better off just getting a 770 4GB (As you've selected)
-yet the price of a 4GB 770 can reach to be almost $100 USD more expensive than a 2GB version (reaching close to or past $400 USD)
-so this puts the 770 2GB at a bad pricepoint for it's performance, the 4GB version the price becomes overkill since you can almost get a 780 closer to $400USD if you wait for a sale or buy a used one on eBay

-edit: the above deal for that 290 @ $300 is great for it's price, it can rival a GTX780 for the price of a cheap 770. IF you MUST go NVIDIA though for their software environment then go for the 770 (if you dont want to wait) and try to step up with EVGA to an 880 once that hits. Or wait around for a good deal on a used 780 on ebay)

Mascot

If you don't mind AMD then you have to get a 290 in that price range. I can't recommend any other option with a clear conscience; the card is just too fast and too cheap.

If you prefer Nvidia, then get B-stock 780 from EVGA

Laugh away at my hilarious ignorance, but why would a person prefer AMD over Nvidia, or the other way round? Do different manufacturers handle certain types of games better?
I'm slowly picking through this PC minefield, so please bear with me.

If you don't mind AMD then you have to get a 290 in that price range. I can't recommend any other option with a clear conscience; the card is just too fast and too cheap.

If you prefer Nvidia, then get B-stock 780 from EVGA

http://www.evga.com/Products/Produc...ily=GeForce+700+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+780

Or look for a really good deal elsewhere, maybe used. Don't get a 400 dollar 770 come on now >_>

Would you consider AMD? If so this 290 for $300 is hard to beat http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=117062945&postcount=1165

Much stronger card than the 770

I'd prefer to stick with NVidia, so the B-stock looks pretty nice. I'll look around and try find a better deal. Thanks as always guys.

Addnan

So guys, let me hear it:

When should people with 2500K's start upgrading?

If they haven't already yet.

When they buy a video card that is held back by PCIE 2.0 other than that as a CPU the 2500K is still more than enough for most and it is anybody's guess when a significant bump will come out.

GHG

Gold Member
Laugh away at my hilarious ignorance, but why would a person prefer AMD over Nvidia, or the other way round? Do different manufacturers handle certain types of games better?
I'm slowly picking through this PC minefield, so please bear with me.

AMD over Nvidia:

Better Price/Performance for the majority of the lineup
Games bundles with the higher end cards (if they are still doing this)
Mantle support

Nvidia over AMD:

Gsync
Gamestream
ShadowPlay
Physx
Downsampling support in drivers
Better drivers and better driver support (subjective and depends on the game)
TXAA and HBAO+ support
Better Multi-GPU support (again, subjective)

For me at least, all the additional features (downsampling and ShadowPlay in particular) you get with Nvidia make the price hike worth it. Some people don't care so much on the other hand so are happy to save some money.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Just dropping into the thread to say "Thanks" for keeping it extremely current and easy to drop in without having paid much attention to hardware progress for years and immediately see what's up.

I did a hybrid build between the Excellent and Enthusiast level systems:

- EVGA 780 GTX SC w/ACX
- 840 Evo SSD
- NZXT H440 Case (Green accents)
- Crucial 16GB - 1600
- EVGA 750W Gold PS
- CM Hyper 212 HS (first time I installed one of these, not so bad)

All hooked up to my ASUS MX279H that I got from my old system. (27", 1080p, IPS)

Basically I wanted I build the ultimate 1080p gaming machine that should hold me for awhile. I was coming from a 2500K, 570GTX w/8GB RAM so I'm hoping the difference will be significant in terms of pushing ultra settings in all games vs high/medium.

...really didn't have much time to play with it since it took me a lot longer to build than I expected, but I'm happy to report that after figuring out all the nuances of my case and it's cable management system with it's shitty directions, everything worked straight out the gate.

Had made a Windows 8.1 USB to install from and I was off to the races.

Only had time to boot into Dota 2 and Bioshock Infinite, but of course Dota 2 still ran beautifully (did on my old system as well with only minor tweaks @1080p) and was able to run BSI at ultra settings without breaking a sweat.

So far so good!

But yeah, thanks again guys. This thread is great.

G.Newell

Hey, just headphone related question. Im looking for some new headphones and cant quite decide between two. I saw BD DT990 250 Ohm Pro listed on the first page and they look great but whilst not suggested here, ive also been looking at the Sennheiser HD 598 as they are highly recommended headphones at several other places. . Which of these two are the better headphones?

Hi guys

I have a SC 780 3GB and was up till now considering stepping-up to a SC 780 6GB, with ultimate aim to ignore the 800 series and wait it out for the 900 series in a couple of years.

I just found out however, that EVGA does not allow me to step-up my superclocked card to a superclocked card, and are only offering the base-clocked 780 with 6GB with the ACX cooler.

I am wondering if at this point, with the 800 series apparently launching in the next 6 months, it's worth spending about £60 or so and do this lame step-up, or just save my money and put it towards a 880 this time next year?

Someone on GAF needs to get a job at nvidia. I Feel like everyday I come into this thread hoping to see something about the 800 series. We need an insider.

I just can't wait for an upgrade of my 580 => 880 => 880 sli.

Nvidia my money is waiting for you...

Dries

When they buy a video card that is held back by PCIE 2.0 other than that as a CPU the 2500K is still more than enough for most and it is anybody's guess when a significant bump will come out.

I have a 2500K and a PCIE 3.0 card but bought it anyway cause everyone told me PCIE doesn't matter for one second.

Mascot

AMD over Nvidia:

Better Price/Performance for the majority of the lineup
Games bundles with the higher end cards (if they are still doing this)
Mantle support

Nvidia over AMD:

Gsync
Gamestream
ShadowPlay
Physx
Downsampling support in drivers
Better drivers and better driver support (subjective and depends on the game)
TXAA and HBAO+ support
Better Multi-GPU support (again, subjective)

For me at least, all the additional features (downsampling and ShadowPlay in particular) you get with Nvidia make the price hike worth it. Some people don't care so much on the other hand so are happy to save some money.

Many thanks. More food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom