• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

I've got another motherboard, same socket, etc.. How do I go about doing this? What's the best way of scraping off the old thermal paste and am I good to go just booting up to my current ssd, or should I reformat? I was hoping I could put on the new mb drivers and carry on..!
Wipe off the thermal paste and clean with rubbing alcohol. Personally, I just wipe of the thermal paste with a tissue, and then, apply a new one.

Windows 7/8 handles new hardware upgrade pretty well. So, try booting with your current Windows install. If you get to Windows desktop, install the MB drivers then you are good to go. At worst, if it fails to boot, just reinstall Windows.

The Llama

I personally would wait. The 980 is only 10-15% faster than the year old 290x. Seems like a place holder card, if you're going to spend 500-600$ wait for at least the next wave with 6 or 8 gigs of ram... and cards that can actually do 4k.

IMO there's no point to the 980. Just SLI 970 if you need the extra performance. Otherwise don't waste the money on it.

I personally would wait. The 980 is only 10-15% faster than the year old 290x. Seems like a place holder card, if you're going to spend 500-600$ wait for at least the next wave with 6 or 8 gigs of ram... and cards that can actually do 4k.

IMO there's no point to the 980. Just SLI 970 if you need the extra performance. Otherwise don't waste the money on it.

I currently have a GTX 680 right now... so yeah haha.

Sorry to spam with my monitor issues but can you not create custom resolutions for the RoG Swift? Trying to do so in the nvidia control panel says everything above my resolution isn't supported :/

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore

Yep, the good thing about the 980 is it caused AMD to drop their prices so got a second 290x for 300$ ;). Will hold me off until I see a monster card with 8 gigs that can actually do 4k on a single gpu.

knitoe

It's a never ending waiting game. Unless the next wave of cards comes out within next 1-3 months and you need a card today / soon, that's not an option. And, I highly doubt even the next wave of cards will able to run 4K max @60fps unless in SLI / CF.

Smokey

Sorry to spam with my monitor issues but can you not create custom resolutions for the RoG Swift? Trying to do so in the nvidia control panel says everything above my resolution isn't supported :/

Go to OCN, make an account, and visit this thread http://www.overclock.net/t/1509599/official-asus-rog-swift-pg278q-owners-club/0_50

They may have more answers since the majority have the monitor. A lot of what you're describing sounds like driver issues. Also as weird as it sounds, do you have another DisplayPort cord you can try?

There will always be an argument for the most powerful single GPU card. I went with SLI GTX 970s personally because I'm looking to do what I can to hopefully maintain high fps for a 144/120 hz monitor but keeping value somewhat in mind. However, SLI has it's annoyances and for some the extra money, even if the gains aren't particularly substantial, are worth it to get as much out of a single GPU as you can.

Has anyone tried DSR on a 3dtv?

Was dying to try downsampling on my living room 3dtv, but "GPU" was not available to select under the "Perform Scaling On:" option. I read about a fix but it seemed like too much work for something I just want to try a couple times.

The ASUS RoG Swift in Surround (3x RoG Swift):

http://youtu.be/oS3HkteaPjI

Wow, amazing setup. This might be the most tricked out one I've seen.

(from the vid info for those who didn't see)

Monitor used: 3x ASUS RoG Swift PG278Q (7680x1440 OR 4560x2560)
GPUs: 4x EVGA GTX-Titan Black SC in 4-Way SLI @ 1215MHz
CPU: i7 3970X @ 4.8GHz
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz (32GB)
PSUs: Corsair AX1500i
Games/Programs: 8x Vertex 4 128GB SSD in RAID-0

ekgrey

GAF, I feel like such a failure.

This i3 is more than enough power for me.

you're not really playing much on PC these days though, are you?

Wow, amazing setup. This might be the most tricked out one I've seen.

(from the vid info for those who didn't see)

Monitor used: 3x ASUS RoG Swift PG278Q (7680x1440 OR 4560x2560)
GPUs: 4x EVGA GTX-Titan Black SC in 4-Way SLI @ 1215MHz
CPU: i7 3970X @ 4.8GHz
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz (32GB)
PSUs: Corsair AX1500i
Games/Programs: 8x Vertex 4 128GB SSD in RAID-0

LOL @ SB-E. no Haswell? truly pathetic. might as well be on a Pentium.

PB & jelly.

kennah

you're not really playing much on PC these days though, are
9ukFoCnIjNYg9WquUd4YGNKDYtcSBR2Qt-0NIpt-Rco

Nope.

But even then. Still getting acceptable performance in the stuff I do play. Bl2 dragon age. Costume quest 2

ekgrey

awwwwww.

congrats, man.

i just proposed last week so i'm officially engaged now and she has an 8-year-old from a previous marriage. he's a handful already; can't really imagine a newborn. hopefully i get to find out someday!

in the meantime, having someone to have Nerf gun battles with is pretty great.

Sir_JD

Neo Member
This might be a crazy question, but are there any white DDR4 RAM modules around yet? Aesthetics are getting the better of me when it comes to new build options...

Ronabo

Ok, complete noob to this whole gaming PC overclocking business. Anyone wanna hold my hand and help me safely OC my new rig? This is what I have.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-T4-18PK-R1 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($359.99)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Micro Center)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99)
Keyboard: ROCCAT Isku FX Wired Gaming Keyboard ($79.99)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Wired Laser Mouse ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1229.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-26 00:53 EDT-0400

Anyone seen any benchmarks comparing an overclocked 3258 and overclocked AMD 860K?

I know the Pentium would still beat the Athlon on single threaded performance, but I'd like to know how the two stack up in real world, mt applications. Apparently the 860K doesn't suffer from the throttling it's iGPU enabled counterpart does( it doesn't have to feed the 7850's 8 GPU cores.)

Hindl

So sli immediately or not at all because of upgrades being better when you get the second card, but what if you get the second card soon after the first card? I'm building a gtx 970 build now, and I was thinking about getting another 970 in February or March to sli once I had more money. Bad idea still?

BlackEyes

Its time to upgrade my 580 gtx to 980 gtx few questions : will i see big improvment overall? Will my asus p8p67 and i7 2600k 4.6 ghz will be ok with the 980 gtx ? Ty

Darklord

Banned
Ok so I took peoples advice on here. This is what I'm thinking is the final changes. Any advice or comments on it before I buy it all?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z97-D3H
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX970 Gaming 4GB
RAM: Kingston 16GB (2x8GB 1866MHz)
SSD: Crucial 512GB SSD MX100
HDD: Hitachi 3gb deskstar
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
PSU: Antec 620W High Current Gamer
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

jrush64

Banned
I've purchased my PC parts and an MSI GTX 970.

I just need to know, do I need anything extra to set it up. Like extra cables, thermal paste or anything?

LordAlu

Thank you for the response, I think I'll take you up on that overclocking suggestion. The estimated wattage on my updated setup is only 277W, probably the lowest I've ever (hypothetically!) built. Should my power supply change as a result? I'm fortunate enough to already have a spare copy of Windows 7 so I'm not looking for an operating system at this time. Would you recommend going for a full tower with this setup?...

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/EoinCheyne/saved/mMy8TW

I currently have a monitor which doubles as my TV and I'm wondering if I could use that as a temporary measure to save a bit of cash. It's a Samsung SyncMaster P2270HD, it is a few years old though... What do you think?

I really do appreciate the help, it's a pretty interesting subject to gain knowledge about but I'm quite ignorant right now!
The monitor is certainly useable - it's a pretty standard monitor but it will work just fine. You don't need a full tower at all - to be honest, only people who want multi-graphics card setups really need it, and even then they can still go mid tower.

This setup will do nicely (changed the board to something more suitable, added a CPU cooler and increased the SSD storage to 256GB):

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£174.99 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.86 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z97M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£106.99 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£61.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.39 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£274.99 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£30.36 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£35.82 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Xornet Wired Optical Mouse (£15.03 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £833.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-26 07:38 GMT+0000

My picks for new any suggestions?

1716 Euro from various good Dutch webshops.

I game at 1080p on my tv trough hdmi.
Main focus is fps and details over resolution.

Will be putting more HDD in that I already have.

Power ok? I can do with less?
Power is fine, but you can do with a good 500-550W easily.

Ok, complete noob to this whole gaming PC overclocking business. Anyone wanna hold my hand and help me safely OC my new rig? This is what I have.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-T4-18PK-R1 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($359.99)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Micro Center)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99)
Keyboard: ROCCAT Isku FX Wired Gaming Keyboard ($79.99)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Wired Laser Mouse ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1229.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-26 00:53 EDT-0400
The only thing I'd probably change is the power supply as I'm not a big fan of the CX series. An EVGA 600B, SeaSonic S12II 620 or Corsair RM650 would be my own choices. Otherwise you're all good!

Ok so I took peoples advice on here. This is what I'm thinking is the final changes. Any advice or comments on it before I buy it all?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z97-D3H
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX970 Gaming 4GB
RAM: Kingston 16GB (2x8GB 1866MHz)
SSD: Crucial 512GB SSD MX100
HDD: Hitachi 3gb deskstar
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
PSU: Antec 620W High Current Gamer
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Nothing I'd change on there. You're good to go.

Power is fine, but you can do with a good 500-550W easily.
Thanks for that ! :)
Are you sure because I read full load of that GFX card is about 260 watt and I will be having. in 7 HDD and 1 SSD.

Anyone else have any comments on my build?

CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
GFX: MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32 gig ddr3 ram
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Boxed
PSU: Corsair RM Series 750W
HDD: WD Red SATA 6 Gb/s WD40EFRX, 4TB
SSD: Crucial MX100 512GB
CPU FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 412S
EXTRA Case Fans:Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition (duopack)
EXTRA STUFF: USB Micro B Kabel 5 Meter – Black
1716 Euro from various good Dutch webshops.

Missing anything?

I game at 1080p on my tv trough hdmi.
Main focus is fps and details over resolution.

Will be putting more HDD in that I already have.

From earlier I can do with less power apparently?

I'm going to call EVGA tomorrow or Monday to RMA my 780 Ti Classified card. Here's hoping I get it back in time for WOD and that the new card won't have the same issue.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
It's a never ending waiting game. Unless the next wave of cards comes out within next 1-3 months and you need a card today / soon, that's not an option. And, I highly doubt even the next wave of cards will able to run 4K max @60fps unless in SLI / CF.

Then go with the cheapest option that still plays games great but wont set you back 600 bones. Personally I'd do a 970 and sell it when something worth while comes out!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am still using it. I love it.

By the way, somewhat OT, but I recently took a very neat picture of a CPU die and want to share:
nucvvlm1.png

(That's a NUC board, went into this: http://abload.de/img/i5uby.jpg - the first 100% passive & no mechanically moving parts PC I ever built)

How is that OT? What case and do you have a pic with the board installed? if it is fanless, have you found any limits in terms of throttling?

Would love a more detailed build/impressions post.

riflen

Yeah, I'll have to mess around with it later. Yellow light was on so it was active but why that was happening I can't say. Monitor does seem to be switching to 144hz mode at times but that's not the issue given the 60 FPS cap that seemed to be in place. Will try turning off vsync in NI as you suggested.

Having a different issue now where the monitor's navigation menus aren't working. Analogue stick isn't working and it won't let me switch hz modes. Hoping I didn't get a bad unit.

Edit: So why can't my videocard run 144hz and remain idling? At 120 I stay around 30-32C but at 144 I shoot up to at 41-44

Edit 2: Yeah, every single game seems to be capping to 60 with ULMB checked :/ Don't understand why it's happening when they run at 144 FPS plus when using gsync. Will mess around when I get back from work I guess.

I've experienced very slow response sometimes when you press the hz switch on the display. When you try to use the joystick menu, make sure there's no other osd displayed. I find you can't just jump to the menu, you have to press the X button first.

Do you have the driver for the display installed? If not, pick it up from ASUS.com.

Edit. Just read your other posts. I agree with smokey, try another DP cable. Many people have reported bad cables in the box.

Mr Swine

Banned
Stupid question really but here goes...

I'm planning to buy a GTX 970 in the near future but I want to buy a secondary GPU for Phyxs together with my GTX 670. Can a GTX 750TI work with it?

maneil99

I'm planning to buy a GTX 970 in the near future but I want to buy a secondary GPU for Phyxs together with my GTX 670. Can a GTX 750TI work with it?

There is little to no point in a dedicated Physx card anymore but yes it will work.

Nachtmaer

If you're going to upgrade your 670 to a 970 at some point, wouldn't it make sense to keep the 670 for PhysX? As maneil99 said, I'm not sure if it's still worth it to have a dedicated card for PhysX nowadays.

I purchased the Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD for my PC as I was getting tired of my mechanical drives developing problems time and time again especially when used as an OS drive.

Now bear in mind, my PC was built back in 2008 and so has a SATA II enabled motherboard, which of course will limit the full capability of the SSD. I acknowledge this and knew this going through with the purchase.

I just want to reaffirm with you guys whether these speeds is in line with what I should be seeing on a a SATA II board.I used Crystal Disk Mark.

Seq Read - 271.4 MB/s
Seq Write - 262.8 MB/s

512k Read - 264.3 MB/s
512k Write - 176.5 MB/s

4k Read - 34.97 MB/s
4k Write - 77.11 MB/s

4kQD32 Read - 215.1 MB/s
4kQD32 Write - 154.6 MB/s

Pjsprojects

Looking to upgrade my 3gb 580. Couple of cards in mind.

R9 290x 4gb costs £200
GTX 770 4gb costs £250

Would like to run triple monitors and get a healthy fps upgrade(while using one screen) Project cars maxed out drops below 30fps with my current card so don't want that to happen on a new card.
Price is the most important factor so the 770 is already pushing it this near Christmas.

what's best? Never used AMD cards before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom