• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Looking to upgrade my 3gb 580. Couple of cards in mind.

R9 290x 4gb costs £200
GTX 770 4gb costs £250

Would like to run triple monitors and get a healthy fps upgrade(while using one screen) Project cars maxed out drops below 30fps with my current card so don't want that to happen on a new card.
Price is the most important factor so the 770 is already pushing it this near Christmas.

what's best? Never used AMD cards before.

290X is in a different league to the 770. How are you getting it so cheap?

I really need to get around to upgrading my ram from 4 to 8 gigs. My current memory is 4,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24). Should I buy another 4 of the same or buy 8 gigs of faster memory? I'm really low on cash lol.

espher

Anyone use NCIX US $50 PC building option? Are they acceptable?

I was lazy and got them to build my current rig when I bought it in 2008. Had no issues with the build. Airflow was good, everything was tucked out of the way, no problems hardware-wise.

Darklord

Banned
Ok so I took peoples advice on here. This is what I'm thinking is the final changes. Any advice or comments on it before I buy it all?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z97-D3H
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX970 Gaming 4GB
RAM: Kingston 16GB (2x8GB 1866MHz)
SSD: Crucial 512GB SSD MX100
HDD: Hitachi 3gb deskstar
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
PSU: Antec 620W High Current Gamer
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Well, I bought it. Can't wait for that SSD and the fresh install. I've also still been on Vista this whole time. Gonna buy Alien: Isolation when it comes and crank that fucker up to max.

GacYwgG.gif

Well, looks like I need some help. I hooked everything up and turned it on, and I didn't get anything on my monitor. Only sign of life is the fans spinning.

Anyone have any ideas on stupid things I might have missed? Feel free to ask questions to get some more information.

Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas? How can I figured out what's wrong here.

Well, I bought it. Can't wait for that SSD and the fresh install. I've also still been on Vista this whole time. Gonna buy Alien: Isolation when it comes and crank that fucker up to max.

GacYwgG.gif

Enjoy your sick startup times, bro. Shit's like being born anew. And Alien: Isolation is dope, the lighting and sound design is excelent.

The monitor is certainly useable - it's a pretty standard monitor but it will work just fine. You don't need a full tower at all - to be honest, only people who want multi-graphics card setups really need it, and even then they can still go mid tower.

This setup will do nicely (changed the board to something more suitable, added a CPU cooler and increased the SSD storage to 256GB):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£174.99 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.86 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z97M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£106.99 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£61.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.39 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£274.99 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£30.36 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£35.82 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Xornet Wired Optical Mouse (£15.03 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £833.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-26 07:38 GMT+0000
Awesome, I'll start ordering some of this today. Thanks for all your help, much appreciated!

$400

Bitfenix Prodigy:

Have OS, Hard drive.

Need recommendations on all else... I know this is ignorant and silly on such a small budget, but what I am working with.

Would like to play current titles on low, CS:Source and other source games at decent rates. (I know the source thing sounds silly, but I am comparing to a laptop from 2004 with an 8600m GT)

Also if possible the additionals would be steam streaming to the second screen, and emulation of PS2/Wii/GameCube.

I know I am asking for the world, but I just don't know what's best, I can select till the end of time, just not sure what's best.

I have disassembled and cleaned/reapplied thermal pastes in the past, so hopefully you can laugh/understand my expertise in this area...

Darklord

Banned
Enjoy your sick startup times, bro. Shit's like being born anew. And Alien: Isolation is dope, the lighting and sound design is excelent.

I've never had an SSD on my desktop PC and currently takes about 2 minutes for the full start up. Sometimes much longer to shut down. This hard drive is on it's last legs to and has so many hitch ups or times when it'll just randomly keep loading for minutes.

knitoe

$400

Bitfenix Prodigy:

Have OS, Hard drive.

Need recommendations on all else... I know this is ignorant and silly on such a small budget, but what I am working with.

Would like to play current titles on low, CS:Source and other source games at decent rates. (I know the source thing sounds silly, but I am comparing to a laptop from 2004 with an 8600m GT)

Also if possible the additionals would be steam streaming to the second screen, and emulation of PS2/Wii/GameCube.

I know I am asking for the world, but I just don't know what's best, I can select till the end of time, just not sure what's best.

I have disassembled and cleaned/reapplied thermal pastes in the past, so hopefully you can laugh/understand my expertise in this area...
$400 is a very limiting budget. Look at the OP for guidelines.

I've never had an SSD on my desktop PC and currently takes about 2 minutes for the full start up. Sometimes much longer to shut down. This hard drive is on it's last legs to and has so many hitch ups or times when it'll just randomly keep loading for minutes.

It takes my laptop literally seconds to boot up. Be sure to keep your zipper open so your sudden erection doesn't break your dick.

To stay relevant to the thread somewhat. I'm currently gaming on an Asus N750JK and I'm looking to buy a monitor (already have keyboard) so I can treat it as a desktop when I'm at home while I save up for an actual desktop pc.

Can I get in on the 120Zz goodness on an Nvidia GTX 850m? Don't mind going for a 60Hz IPS screen, but as a big fan of FPS games 120Hz would be nice.

The Llama

It takes my laptop literally seconds to boot up. Be sure to keep your zipper open so your sudden erection doesn't break your dick.

To stay relevant to the thread somewhat. I'm currently gaming on an Asus N750JK and I'm looking to buy a monitor (already have keyboard) so I can treat it as a desktop when I'm at home while I save up for an actual desktop pc.

Can I get in on the 120Zz goodness on an Nvidia GTX 850m? Don't mind going for a 60Hz IPS screen, but as a big fan of FPS games 120Hz would be nice.

An 850m? So just to clarify, you wanna hook up your laptop to a 144Hz monitor? I ask because you need to make sure that you have an output that can, er, output 144Hz at 1080p (displayport or dual link DVI). If all your laptop has is an HDMI port you won't be able to.

But assuming thats not an issue, I'd go for it! Can't hurt, anyway.

Vhalyar

My old PC doesn't cut it anymore, I'm looking to move on to something newer. It's been ages since I built a PC so I have to admit I'm feeling pretty lost.

Budget: 1000-1400e
Main use: Gaming, emulation (dolphin), video playback.
Monitor resolution: 1080p monitor + video projector.
Specific: 60fps gaming, looking for a smooth experience above anything else.
Overclocking: I never did that :x
Deadline: ASAP.

I'd like to avoid a full size tower, since I might end up moving the PC back and forth between my office & living rooms. Would that compromise on gaming, or can I still fit everything in a somewhat smaller case? Plus any recommendations also on where to buy parts in Germany?

$400 is a very limiting budget. Look at the OP for guidelines.

I did look at the suggestions and noticed that the starter was around 500$, which is why I was asking for suggestions post review. I appreciate the suggestion of the APU, so an AMD then? I could probably do the 400$ and ignore the gfx for now and do onboard for a few months. Again, trying to squeeze something as a good base is my desire, and I tried to follow the written FAQ with desired results, and I know I am far fetched and can accept one (source games and no emulation) if it falls that way.

My Dolphin benchmark time on my 4.1 Ghz 5820K is 7:50, which is worse than I'm seeing for some lower clocked Haswells. Nothing crazy out of line but on AnandTech, I'm seeing a stock i7 4770K, effectively 3.9Ghz for single thread performance, getting 7:40. I wonder if it's the memory.

An 850m? So just to clarify, you wanna hook up your laptop to a 144Hz monitor? I ask because you need to make sure that you have an output that can, er, output 144Hz at 1080p (displayport or dual link DVI). If all your laptop has is an HDMI port you won't be able to.

But assuming thats not an issue, I'd go for it! Can't hurt, anyway.

It has minidisplayport, yeah. Thanks for the info man.

Durante

How is that OT?
Come on, it's a NUC. It doesn't even have a dedicated GPU. Not a real computer in my book, so obviously OT :p

What case and do you have a pic with the board installed? if it is fanless, have you found any limits in terms of throttling?

Would love a more detailed build/impressions post.
It's for a friend who moved to a larger flat, where he wanted a separate system for HTPC tasks (for the living room). Since we are both geeks we debated a lot of ways to go, and finally settled on a Intel NUC board (this one) in a slightly larger than usual case which also accomodates 2.5" SSDs (this one). As you can see, the entire case is the heatsink.

The whole thing has no moving parts at all, so no fans. There's no thermal throttling, in fact even with a full OCCT AVX load (which is probably highly unrealistic for a HTPC) it never went past 65°C.

You can see some more pics of the build here.

Addnan

My old PC doesn't cut it anymore, I'm looking to move on to something newer. It's been ages since I built a PC so I have to admit I'm feeling pretty lost.

Budget: 1000-1400e
Main use: Gaming, emulation (dolphin), video playback.
Monitor resolution: 1080p monitor + video projector.
Specific: 60fps gaming, looking for a smooth experience above anything else.
Overclocking: I never did that :x
Deadline: ASAP.

I'd like to avoid a full size tower, since I might end up moving the PC back and forth between my office & living rooms. Would that compromise on gaming, or can I still fit everything in a somewhat smaller case? Plus any recommendations also on where to buy parts in Germany?

You can go tiny ITX and still have a beast of a computer these days. Just not dual cards. ITX might be your best bet if you want to move it around often. Check the third post in this thread, has small form factor builds. They are pretty much up to date other than the graphics card, just swap it over to a GTX 970. Amazon.de might be your best bet. Caseking.de and hoh.de I have seen around but not being from Germany have not used any of them.

LilJoka

Looking to upgrade my 3gb 580. Couple of cards in mind.

R9 290x 4gb costs £200
GTX 770 4gb costs £250

Would like to run triple monitors and get a healthy fps upgrade(while using one screen) Project cars maxed out drops below 30fps with my current card so don't want that to happen on a new card.
Price is the most important factor so the 770 is already pushing it this near Christmas.

what's best? Never used AMD cards before.

Im selling my GTX 780 3GB for £220 incl delivery if your interested.
It runs unlocked Bios so is not at the mercy of the power limit, overclocks really well 1100/3200 stock volts. It is the reference Gigabyte design. Let me know if your interested. 1.5year warranty left with a copy of the original invoice.

You might find that as soon as you start using 4GB bandwidth of the 770 that the GPU cant keep up anyways.

290X is a good price, only downside with AMD is poor day 1 game support.

Is there any reason that I wouldn't get mobo video out on HDMI or display port with a brand new build? And brand new as in no os installed yet. Do I need to use VGA or dvi?

LilJoka

Is there any reason that I wouldn't get mobo video out on HDMI or display port with a brand new build? And brand new as in no os installed yet. Do I need to use VGA or dvi?

No reason at all.

Check the 8/4 pin CPU Power connector is plugged in and the 24pin ATX Power cable into the motherboard.
Also make sure RAM is seated correctly.

Pakoe

Alright guys, excuse me if i did anything wrong, but i need help.
I'm thinking about upgrading a few parts, first the CPU/or a new fan so i can safely overclock, maybe add some RAM and in the end a new gpu. Or of course if someone has a better plan, i would like to hear it.
These are my current specs:

MSI MS-7522
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
6144MB RAM DDR3
GeForce GTX 660
Lian Li PC-602
I have no idea what kind of power supply i have. I tried opening the case looking inside but i can't seem to find a sticker. If anyone has an idea where to look, i'd appreciate it
The heaviest use it gets is from gaming, other than that i'm always browsing the internet looking at funny cat pics etc.
My monitor is 16:10, so max resolution is 1680x1050. I don't plan on getting anything new, since i also have it hooked up to my TV.
30 Frames is the minimum, i don't mind playing games at these frames. Of course, the higher the better.

What do you guys think?
Is it even worthy of an upgrade?
Friend of mine told me to get a new cpu fan, currently the original one is on it. According to him, OC'ing will help me tons. I'd appreciate any input on this as well.
Note that the GTX 660 was the last upgrade i did, probably a year ago or so.
Thanks for the help!

I've experienced very slow response sometimes when you press the hz switch on the display. When you try to use the joystick menu, make sure there's no other osd displayed. I find you can't just jump to the menu, you have to press the X button first.

Do you have the driver for the display installed? If not, pick it up from ASUS.com.

Edit. Just read your other posts. I agree with smokey, try another DP cable. Many people have reported bad cables in the box.
Yeah, I'll grab another display port cable when I go to best buy later today to get Bayonetta 2. And there was at least one time where I could not switch out of 144 HZ mode and had to restart but a lot of cases were like you said where I needed to hit x first.

Found the monitor on asus.com but what was downloaded seemed to just be color profiles?

No reason at all.

Check the 8/4 pin CPU Power connector is plugged in and the 24pin ATX Power cable into the motherboard.
Also make sure RAM is seated correctly.

Yeah, power is connected and RAM looks seated to me. The clips have gone in and the stick looks level. I'm thinking getting a speaker to check post codes is the next step. Any other ideas?

Vhalyar

You can go tiny ITX and still have a beast of a computer these days. Just not dual cards. ITX might be your best bet if you want to move it around often. Check the third post in this thread, has small form factor builds. They are pretty much up to date other than the graphics card, just swap it over to a GTX 970. Amazon.de might be your best bet. Caseking.de and hoh.de I have seen around but not being from Germany have not used any of them.

Thanks!

So I guess I'd be looking at something like this then?

CPU: i5-4690K 3.5GHz (217e)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII (211e)
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x4 (80e)
Graphics: MSI GTX 970 4096MB (356e)
SSD: Crucial MX100 512GB (179e)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB (46e)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 650W 80+ Gold (103e)
Case: BitFenix Phenom Arctic White Mini ITX (78e)
Heatsink: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM (65e)
Optical: Asus DRW-24F1ST (20e)

Total: 1355e

vertopci

How does the below part list look?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 220-G2-0750-XR

Also does anyone have any recommendations for LED strips?

jrush64

Banned
Hey I got another question please.

I wanted to ask, whats the difference between a micro atx motherboard and a mini itx motherboard?

This was my motherboard pick

ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97M-PLUS

I was thinking of picking this new itx motherboard.

GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

Would it work with my processor? I see 1150, does that mean combatibility?

Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K b

The difference between the motherboards is size. Mini itx is smaller. Though of course the motherboards could have different features. And yes 1150 means they are compatible with your CPU. Though the h97 in the part number of the gigabyte means you won't be able to overclock your k series CPU.

appaws

Banned
Okay I have a Pentium g3258 with a GTX 750 ti, what video card upgrade would you recommend

Budget...?

Hey I got another question please.

I wanted to ask, whats the difference between a micro atx motherboard and a mini itx motherboard?

This was my motherboard pick

ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97M-PLUS

I was thinking of picking this new itx motherboard.

GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

Would it work with my processor? I see 1150, does that mean combatibility?

Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K b

Micro ATX is a bigger size mobo, with more room on it for expansion slots. You technically could do SLI or Crossfire on it if you wanted to.

Mini ITX is the smallest size, with only room for one slot, i.e. one video card. That's the basics....

You don't want to go from the first one (which is Z97) to the second one, which is H97. That would be a step down. 1150 is the socket, so yes your 4690k would fit into it....but you would not want to buy a "k" series CPU and then limit it with an "H" motherboard.

You could go down to mini ITX....but you still want to stick with a board with the Z97 chipset. All of the motherboard makers have Z97 MiniITX choices.

But going with a MiniITX build is cool, just make sure that your case and cooling are going to work out....run it by us before buying.

appaws

Banned
The difference between the motherboards is size. Mini itx is smaller. Though of course the motherboards could have different features. And yes 1150 means they are compatible with your CPU. Though the h97 in the part number of the gigabyte means you won't be able to overclock your k series CPU.

Ok Thanx. So I'll be able to fit a GTX 970 in there too? I don't really care about overclocking.

No, bad idea. Overclocking is FREE performance, just for making a few clicks in the bios. It would be crazy to buy an unlocked Devil's Canyon chip and then limit yourself by skimping on the motherboard. Even if you don't OC right away....it can be used to extend the life of your system down the road....a free upgrade.

There are plenty of Z97 Mini-ITX motherboards to go with that CPU.

Pjsprojects

Im selling my GTX 780 3GB for £220 incl delivery if your interested.
It runs unlocked Bios so is not at the mercy of the power limit, overclocks really well 1100/3200 stock volts. It is the reference Gigabyte design. Let me know if your interested. 1.5year warranty left with a copy of the original invoice.

You might find that as soon as you start using 4GB bandwidth of the 770 that the GPU cant keep up anyways.

290X is a good price, only downside with AMD is poor day 1 game support.

Thanks for the offer, I'm really after a 4gb card and currently leaning towards the R9 card. Just a bit worried about poor optimisation on none Nvidea stuff.

Veelk

Banned
I'm having an issue. I connected a second monitor to my laptop via VGA. Then I connected speakers to my monitor so that I get better sound off of it.

However, for some random reason, my computer stopped recognizing my monitor as an audio playback device. It had this problem before, but it was usually solved by restarting it. I tried that now, it doesn't work. Help?

Edit: I tried switching to HDMI, and it had the monitor as an audio playback device option again. I used that before, but I brought my Wii U into the room and hooked it up to the monitor. It only has one HDMI port, so I have to use VGA for my computer if I want to keep my Wii U hooked up at the same time. VGA used to register the audio just yesterday, so why doesn't it do so now?

Edit 2: Okay, I'm looking up information, and it says here VGA does NOT carry audio. But....but it did. Yesterday, it was working perfectly fine with VGA as a connection. What the hell? Can someone please explain this to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom