• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Thanks for the offer, I'm really after a 4gb card and currently leaning towards the R9 card. Just a bit worried about poor optimisation on none Nvidea stuff.

Own 2 290x, they are beast cards. Most games are perfect at 1080P with a single card. If you want to you can crossfire them. For example Crysis 3 runs anywhere from 80 fps to 110 fps with two cards at 1600p.

One thing however, they run HOT! I am getting rid of the reference design as in crossfire I get a constant 94C on both cards.

Get either the Vapor x or Lightning. They are bigger but a lot cooler! Have also a windforce, runs well, but the fans can be a bit noticeable and will not run as cool as Vapor X or Lightning.

PFD

What are your guys thoughts on the Fractal Design R4 case? Is it too big? I'm looking for a quiet and affordable case, and so far this looks like my best option

ekgrey

What are your guys thoughts on the Fractal Design R4 case? Is it too big? I'm looking for a quiet and affordable case, and so far this looks like my best option

it is very highly recommended here, as you'd see if you read the case section of the OP. ;)

it's an ATX case so it's not small, but it's a mid instead of full tower so it's not like mini-fridge size. if you don't want to go mATX or mini-ITX for whatever reason, it's a great option for quiet and reasonably priced (and is often on sale for even lower than MSRP.)

Sorry I just traced back far enough back into the conversation to see that you mentioned that.

No problem.

So I just ordered a mobo speaker to listen to potential post codes and amazon is going to send me another motherboard. Unless anyone has any more ideas I'm just going to set it aside until that stuff shows up next week. I'll try my current setup with the speaker to see if that gets me any info. Then I guess try the new motherboard. Ram would be the next thing to check after that I assume.

The Llama

No problem.

So I just ordered a mobo speaker to listen to potential post codes and amazon is going to send me another motherboard. Unless anyone has any more ideas I'm just going to set it aside until that stuff shows up next week. I'll try my current setup with the speaker to see if that gets me any info. Then I guess try the new motherboard. Ram would be the next thing to check after that I assume.

My guess would be a bad mobo, yeah.

NeoFaff

Good build quality and the padding on the inside does reduce noise.
It's pretty large though. I have a Fractal Define Mini (micro atx version of the R3/R4) and it's about the same size as the cheap Cooler Master atx mid tower I had before.

R4 size vs the Mini & CM case I had:
Fractal R4 Case dimensions (WxHxD): 232 x 464 x 523mm
Fractal Mini Case size (WxHxD): 210 x 395 x 490mm
CM 430 (WxHxD): 190 x 424 x 490 mm

Edit: I should clarify that I my desk has PC holder so a few centimetres make a difference in my case. The size of the R4 is fine for an atx tower. :p

PFD

it is very highly recommended here, as you'd see if you read the case section of the OP. ;)

it's an ATX case so it's not small, but it's a mid instead of full tower so it's not like mini-fridge size. if you don't want to go mATX or mini-ITX for whatever reason, it's a great option for quiet and reasonably priced (and is often on sale for even lower than MSRP.)

Good build quality and the padding on the inside does reduce noise.
It's pretty large though. I have a Fractal Define Mini (micro atx version of the R3/R4) and it's about the same size as the cheap Cooler Master atx mid tower I had before.

R4 size vs the Mini & CM case I had:
Fractal R4 Case dimensions (WxHxD): 232 x 464 x 523mm
Fractal Mini Case size (WxHxD): 210 x 395 x 490mm
CM 430 (WxHxD): 190 x 424 x 490 mm

Edit: I should clarify that I my desk has PC holder so a few centimetres make a difference in my case. The size of the R4 is fine for an atx tower. :p

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the R4, as it's only slightly taller than my Dell Precision 390.

213372bu

Banned
Hey, prospective buyer for a PC build sometime soon.

Between now and the end of the year, will there be any price-drops/sales that I should hold out for?

Smokey

I've experienced very slow response sometimes when you press the hz switch on the display. When you try to use the joystick menu, make sure there's no other osd displayed. I find you can't just jump to the menu, you have to press the X button first.

Do you have the driver for the display installed? If not, pick it up from ASUS.com.

Edit. Just read your other posts. I agree with smokey, try another DP cable. Many people have reported bad cables in the box.

Any extended impressions from the Acer 4k Gsync model?

Between the Crucial MX100 and the SanDisk Ultra II, any reason to go for the mx100? At the 240gb-256gb models, the Sandisk has a higher write speed.

spk

So I picked up the Zotac 970 but it's got some coil whine which is being picked up by my mic with voip.. :( Anyone have this problem? I don't want to RMA if I can help it.

Update- random reboots getting more frequent under load, 4 yesterday, in 2 different games at various settings and framerate. Sent in an RMA request. My PSU (Corsair TX850 v1?) was fine with my last 2 video cards (570, 670) and has never given me issues before now. Not sure if I want to give Zotac another chance or just go with another card

ekgrey

Between the Crucial MX100 and the SanDisk Ultra II, any reason to go for the mx100? At the 240gb-256gb models, the Sandisk has a higher write speed.

price? and the fact that real-world, it probably won't actually be noticeable.

if you find a good deal, go for it i'd say.

Friends got me my first SSD for my birthday. Plan on doing a clean install with Windows 8.1. These things are fairly easy to set up, right? I built my PC 3 years ago so I'm very nervous about diving back in there.

The brand new Microcenter flagship store in Houston is so good ;_;. They took it up a notch
I always want to go down there but actually going to a store means you have to pay tax and with enthusiast parts that's a lot, lol. I imagine newegg will eventually turn to the dark side though and I'll start going to stores more.

knitoe

Friends got me my first SSD for my birthday. Plan on doing a clean install with Windows 8.1. These things are fairly easy to set up, right? I built my PC 3 years ago so I'm very nervous about diving back in there.

Same as setting up a HDD. Going from a HDD to a SSD for the first time, you are in for a big treat.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
So I would like to share some of my Crossfire woes. It does work very well on a good number of games, granted if you use higher resolution like 1600p +.

Only thing I would look out for is air flow. Get a case that has good cooling properties and make sure there is a few slots in between each cards. You should also crossfire only aftermarket cards! In the case of the 290x the Tri-x OC or the Vapor are excellent choices to make sure the cards do not overheat!

Also keep a few slots in between the 2 graphic cards. Beware some aftermarket cards take 2 to 3 slots. (vapor and Lightning)

Noticed a lot of throttling when you use reference cards, sometimes they drop down to 700 mhz to maintain heat management under 95C.

Otherwise great experience :). Just wanted to share, that is all =).

paskowitz

GAF I want to get some quite fans for my Corsair H100i (120mm). The stock ones are too loud for me. I would also like a 140mm fan for the bottom of my case to feed air into the GPU. Right now I am using the CM Hyper 212 Evo fan and it is a bit noisy. Any suggestions?

Also, I find that often it is the vibration of the fans, not the actual fan that creates the most noise. Any suggestions for mitigating this?

MoonGred

I've been thinking about downsizing my pc, it currently sits on my desk and is fairly large and I realised that I'm most likely not going for an SLI setup.
Now the problem is that I've put myself in a corner buying a Gigabyte 970 g1. The case I had my eye on originally (corsair air 240) doesn't fit the card.
Does anyone have any recommendations? I've currently got a full atx board but am willing to downsize to a micro board.

appaws

Banned
GAF I want to get some quite fans for my Corsair H100i (120mm). The stock ones are too loud for me. I would also like a 140mm fan for the bottom of my case to feed air into the GPU. Right now I am using the CM Hyper 212 Evo fan and it is a bit noisy. Any suggestions?

Also, I find that often it is the vibration of the fans, not the actual fan that creates the most noise. Any suggestions for mitigating this?

A while back, I went from the fan that came with the EVO to using Corsair SP120 Quiet Editions in push-pull.

I was very happy with the results. RPMs and noise way down...and temps did not suffer at all.

I've been thinking about downsizing my pc, it currently sits on my desk and is fairly large and I realised that I'm most likely not going for an SLI setup.
Now the problem is that I've put myself in a corner buying a Gigabyte 970 g1. The case I had my eye on originally (corsair air 240) doesn't fit the card.
Does anyone have any recommendations? I've currently got a full atx board but am willing to downsize to a micro board.
edit: Nevermind apparently Anandtech was wrong.

Kvik

Currently, I'm using 4x Noiseblocker Multiframe M12-P for case fans. If you're air cooling I can recommend the Noiseblocker e-Loop B12-P. Pulls lot of air, superb for radiator setup as well. Both of these series are PWM fans and super quiet. Silentpcreview has the review for these fans, if you want to do further research.

You can use some silicone washers to help mitigate vibration.

Does anybody have an idea of when the next batch of graphics cards come out? From what I understand that is suppose to be the next big jump and I'm debating whether or not to buy a Wii U (for Bayonetta 2) or hold out a few months to get a new card to update my AMD 6800HD.

kennah

Does anybody have an idea of when the next batch of graphics cards come out? From what I understand that is suppose to be the next big jump and I'm debating whether or not to buy a Wii U (for Bayonetta 2) or hold out a few months to get a new card to update my AMD 6800HD.
No one ever knows. Releases are held unail basically the last minute because no one would buy existing cards if they knew new ones are around the corner. The nvidia 970 and 980 have just been released and they are a good jump and a great price. Amd hasn't responded yet.

But even a 600 series would be a huge jump from your card. Get a 970 and upgrade again in a few years.

No one ever knows. Releases are held unail basically the last minute because no one would buy existing cards if they knew new ones are around the corner. The nvidia 970 and 980 have just been released and they are a good jump and a great price. Amd hasn't responded yet.

But even a 600 series would be a huge jump from your card. Get a 970 and upgrade again in a few years.

I just want something with a lot of legs, ala a 8800GT last generation. The new console generation is just underway and I want a video card that will be able to handle the latest and greatest games on the PS4 for a few years. Assassin's Creed Unity already has a 970 as their recommended requirement.

Smokey

I just want something with a lot of legs, ala a 8800GT last generation. The new console generation is just underway and I want a video card that will be able to handle the latest and greatest games on the PS4 for a few years. Assassin's Creed Unity already has a 970 as their recommended requirement.

You should always never pay attention to Ubi PC requirements let alone make that the basis for upgrades.

MoonGred

Yeah this is why I edited my post. AT said the longest GPU you can fit is.. 340mm I believe. Then I saw the Corsair site say 290mm. ~_~

The 290mm seems way off to be honest. I haven't seen the case in real life but it looks likes there's a lot more room.

Anyone else having any recommendations for small form factor cases that would fit a Gigabyte 970?

The rumors are true, EVGA does have GREAT customer service. I think I was almost connected imediately after selecting the right menu options and there was no fight on my RMA request. Here's hoping that the card I get back doesn't have the same issue.

For those of you that wondered about the problem I had with my 780 Ti Classified, the screen would flash black and go back to the game, then black, then back to the game for about 30 seconds. Then the game would be unplayable at like 1fps. I would have to restart the computer in order to play again. I put in my old GTX 670 ftw, and I didn't have the same problem. The card also seemed very loud since the day I got it, when the ACX cooler is supposed to be a little less noisy than old blower type fans.

I forget what the requirements actually were, but I don't think so. It's just a really hard game to run.

I remember specifically that the requires called for 4GB of VRAM or something dumb, and the game barely cracked 2.5GB. There's also the fact that they dumbed it down a ton for parity with the console versions so everyone played with the "same experience" which is just plain stupid.

Smokey

The rumors are true, EVGA does have GREAT customer service. I think I was almost connected imediately after selecting the right menu options and there was no fight on my RMA request. Here's hoping that the card I get back doesn't have the same issue.

Yep. It's why I will always go with EVGA. I started out with Asus. Then moved to MSI. I think the 690 was my first EVGA card and since then I've stuck with them.

If I'm paying hundreds of dollars for a product, and in my case thousands, I want top tier customer service when something goes wrong.

Yep. It's why I will always go with EVGA. I started out with Asus. Then moved to MSI. I think the 690 was my first EVGA card and since then I've stuck with them.

If I'm paying hundreds of dollars for a product, and in my case thousands, I want top tier customer service when something goes wrong.

Plus, I just called them at 10PM PST on a Sunday night. I believe they have 24/7 customer support. Can't beat that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom