• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekgrey

That means you're still in the return window :]

you are a bad influence. fortunately my tech lust is tempered by my laziness. LOL. not trying to send this thing back to Amazon.

I am lol
Main reason is for a quieter card that has a little more grunt as its in my lounge PC. Want it silent as possible.
My 780 was reference design, hit 85c at my stock voltage with overclock in game. 970 cost me £60 so not much, had my 780 for 1.5yrs.

ahhh, fair enough. haha

SugarDave

The Gigabyte GTX 970 is in stock at Ebuyer for the same price as Amazon UK at about £290. I bought my mouse from them the other day and everything went smoothly, but would anyone here recommend them for buying something like a GPU. I've been trying to stick to Amazon for the more expensive stuff as their returns policy is typically the best around, but they don't appear to be getting stock of this thing at all and I'm hoping to have it by mid-November.

Whats the issue?

Fan on one of the cards is randomly reving up for no good reason. (e.g. goes from 1400 to 1500 rpm for a few seconds without load)
Tried pretty much everything... Clean windows, drivers, Single card vs. SLI, etc.

Cards were EVGA 970 ACX 1.0.
Contacted EVGA and they were kinda stumped as well. Considering one of the cards barely showed this behaviour they RMA'd one of them to look at it. (Still need to ship it back to them)
Today I received a new ACX 2.0 replacement and it is doing the same crap. Goes from 0rpm to high rpm randomly. And when installing both cards, results are even more confusing depending on which card is installed in slot 1/2.

Sorry, it's really confusing.
Starting to lose my patience and I am still not sure where the issue lies. I doubt it's the power supply and I hate my mainboard anyway, so I guess I'll get a new one.

edit: found this guy having the exact same issue:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1435570/gpu-fan-spins-up-for-a-quick-second-randomly

LilJoka

Fan on one of the cards is randomly reving up for no good reason. (e.g. goes from 1400 to 1500 rpm for a few seconds without load)
Tried pretty much everything... Clean windows, drivers, Single card vs. SLI, etc.

Cards were EVGA 970 ACX 1.0.
Contacted EVGA and they were kinda stumped as well. Considering one of the cards barely showed this behaviour they RMA'd one of them to look at it. (Still need to ship it back to them)
Today I received a new ACX 2.0 replacement and it is doing the same crap. Goes from 0rpm to high rpm randomly. And when installing both cards, results are even more confusing depending on which card is installed in slot 1/2.

Sorry, it's really confusing.
Starting to lose my patience and I am still not sure where the issue lies. I doubt it's the power supply and I hate my mainboard anyway, so I guess I'll get a new one.

edit: found this guy having the exact same issue:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1435570/gpu-fan-spins-up-for-a-quick-second-randomly

Updated bios?

ekgrey

i sincerely doubt that is what's happening. i don't think you realize how difficult manufacturing advanced computer components is. add to that logistics of shipping/distribution and pair it with insane consumer demand and yeah, of course it's hard to find one right now.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, the 970 is a better card, so it is worth stretching for a little. The motherboard/CPU combo recommended to you on that other place was an outdated, lower-end chipset (B85) and a CPU that does NOT have an unlocked multiplier for overclocking. I don't think you should limit yourself like that.

Yeah....I'm an idiot. I didn't realize that case did not have USB 3.0 ports on the front. For some reason I just assumed they would have added that. Take a look at the budget cases in the OP...and also the NZXT S340, which is my personal choice for a recent lower-cost case. It costs a little more ($70), but has a more modern and open design.

Sweet, thanks. I'll check out some more cases then.

Marow

GAF, I've been thinking of updating my old Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 to something newer. I'm either thinking of getting GTX 770, as its price will most likely drop soon, or a shiny new GTX 970 this coming spring. Which of these two would you recommend?

I don't really want to upgrade much else at the moment, so please tell me if the below will have any issues with either of the cards (I doubt it, but hey, you're the experts!):

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40GHz
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

And since I'm a fool, tell me if you need to know anything else to help. I'm rather new in this territory, so I'm still learning. >_<'

GAF, I've been thinking of updating my old Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 to something newer. I'm either thinking of getting GTX 770, as its price will most likely drop soon, or a shiny new GTX 970 this coming spring. Which of these two would you recommend?

I don't really want to upgrade much else at the moment, so please tell me if the below will have any issues with either of the cards (I doubt it, but hey, you're the experts!):

8GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

And since I'm a fool, tell me if you need to know anything else to help. I'm rather new in this territory, so I'm still learning. >_<'

I think at this point, if you can do it, go for the 970. The 770 is an old card at this point and not a great investment. I'd suggest overclocking the CPU, it should have lots of potential and last a good long while.

Addnan

8GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

Spring in the northern hemisphere? That's a while away best to wait until then to make any concrete decisions. At this moment the 970 is the best buy by a long shot. 770 as said above is an old card, only really worth it if you are getting it for a ridiculously low price.

Marow

Spring in the northern hemisphere? That's a while away best to wait until then to make any concrete decisions. At this moment the 970 is the best buy by a long shot. 770 as said above is an old card, only really worth it if you are getting it for a ridiculously low price.
Wait a second, it's out already. I remembered reading an article about 9XX being delayed and just checked: it's 960 that's delayed (unless that has changed!).

970 is out.
"Asus GeForce GTX 970 Strix DirectCU II OC HDMI DP 2xDVI 4GB" should be the best one, right?

Also, jeez, 980 is crazy expensive in comparison!

My old Corsair 600w PSU died. I am looking for another one. Do you think a 500w psu will work with this?
Intel Core i5-4670K
GTX 760 video card
8 gb ram x 2

appaws

Banned
Guys, any recommendations for z77 boards? I am still having issues with my SLI setup and I think it's the board.

I am currently looking into those two:

http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog...H-Intel-Z77-Mainboard-Sockel-1155::18932.html

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_i...1155-Dual-Channel-DDR3-ATX-Retail_793738.html

Thanks. I think I'll go for the AsRock Extreme 4. Read nothing but good things about it and considering the age of z77, I don't see much point in buying something much more expensive.

NO!!!!! Don't do it. Anything but that....! Asrock had a problem where their Z77 boards misreported voltages. They never fixed it.

Tons of people bought that board at the time, including me. It was the most recommended board both in this thread and on the internet at large. It seemed like a good deal....despite the ugly brown PCB it seemed to have good features for a good price.

But Asrock just kept denying the problem existed no matter how many people reported it. They fixed it for their Z87 boards and after, but never took any action for their Z77. Get something else.

Boss Man

I've got everything in my new (first) build set up now except for the GPU, and I've used Asus' AI Suite 3 program to overclock the CPU. I'm running super cool so far, under 30 degrees. How do I know if my voltage is being weird and how do I stop that from happening? I've heard that's how you can screw up your parts.

NO!!!!! Don't do it. Anything but that....! Asrock had a problem where their Z77 boards misreported voltages. They never fixed it.

Tons of people bought that board at the time, including me. It was the most recommended board both in this thread and on the internet at large. It seemed like a good deal....despite the ugly brown PCB it seemed to have good features for a good price.

But Asrock just kept denying the problem existed no matter how many people reported it. They fixed it for their Z87 boards and after, but never took any action for their Z77. Get something else.

Wow, thanks for the warning. I guess I'll go for the Gigabyte then...

http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog...H-Intel-Z77-Mainboard-Sockel-1155::18932.html

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
I'm considering selling my Asus VG248QE for something with better colors/less dithering. Is there another monitor in a similar price range ($200-300) that will be an improvement worth trading the 248QE's strengths for?

bro1

Banned
Guys I have a very slight periodic clicking noise. I only have an ssd so it's not my hdd. I have a corsair 1200 psu, a h100i water cooler, and noctua fans. I listen at the case and can't localize it. What do you think?

So I'm considering selling off my gtx 760 and purchasing a gtx 970 probably right around Christmas time. It looks like the only brand Amazon has right now (or will have soon) is EVGA. Is it okay to get one of those if the other brands aren't back in stock by then or should I wait it out if that's the case? I remember reading pretty mixed things about that version of the 970 when it launched.

So I'm considering selling off my gtx 760 and purchasing a gtx 970 probably right around Christmas time. It looks like the only brand Amazon has right now (or will have soon) is EVGA. Is it okay to get one of those if the other brands aren't back in stock by then or should I wait it out if that's the case? I remember reading pretty mixed things about that version of the 970 when it launched.

Get the FTW if you can, it actually has a different cooler compared to the older cards. And EVGA still has the best customer support IMO. Otherwise I would go for MSI, Asus or Gigabyte (If the Gigabyte fits into your case). Currently all brands have issues with coil whine, but maybe the will be ironed out till Christmas time.

Cruz

Neo Member
is 1080 60 or 120 or 144hz overall the standard for games than 1440 p because then i will need a monitor tha supports it or should i be content with the evga gtx 970 as in 1080

kennah

There is no overall standard. The closest thing would be a 1080p monitor at 60Hz, but the beauty of PC gaming is that everything is flexible. You can put the settings to whatever framerate you want.

Cruz

Neo Member
put will i still get the overall pc gaming experience compare to my ps4 and x1 ^^^

So i should be happy with 1080p then

Celcius

°Temp. member
Guys I have a very slight periodic clicking noise. I only have an ssd so it's not my hdd. I have a corsair 1200 psu, a h100i water cooler, and noctua fans. I listen at the case and can't localize it. What do you think?

Probably a fan. Do a quick check to make sure that no wires are anything are hitting the blades.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It's official - I just bought the first component of what is soon to be my first gaming PC in 10 years! Time to look for deals for the rest of my components.

In case anyone is interested I found a deal on Tiger Direct for the Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz for $200. It involves using the code HPD145363 for $30 off, and signing up for a $10 off coupon and clicking on the link that is sent to your email. The deal expires on 10/31 and I didn't think I'd get a better price than that, so I decided to pull the trigger.

mdsfx

F*ck these GTX 970s. There are at least hundreds of people having issues using display port or dvi right now who are stick with a black screen. Can't even see it post. This is wide spread and nvidia's forum are lit up with this issue. Has to RMA my card already! Grrrrr...

paskowitz

Just got lots of carbon fiber wrap from Amazon... power to weight ratio of my computer will be increased substantially.

Seriously though, inside of the computer is getting CF wrapped, outside is going to get this design...

maxresdefault.jpg

Stage 3 will be replacing the power button with an engine start stop button

Don't have a stage 4 yet...

paskowitz

And AWD, none of this caster crap.

Yeah, and also don't forget to show the broken head gasket.

Some case builder needs to do a classy, super car based case mod. None of that Lamborghini or Aston Martin crap floating around, I mean something that Maranello would put in display case.

I need some quick advice. My new PC has a GTX 980 that has one HDMI, one DVI, and 3 displayport connections. I have 3 identical monitors that I have HDMI, DVI, and VGA. I am using both the DVI and HDMI running dual monitor right now, but I want to do Nvidia surround. I had Eyefinity running on my last computer with a 5970, but with that one I had to have a $100 active adapter to convert DVI to mini-displayport.

My question is if I need something special to get this running or if a simple displaport to DVI cable or adapter will work. I don't know if AMD handles this differently than nvidia.

I'm looking at just getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B00EDT01TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414640835&sr=8-1&keywords=displayport+to+dvi+active The thing that confuses me is that it says Eyefinity compatible, but none of these things ever mention nvidia surround.

I really need to know in the next 2 hours, because amazon can get it to my on my day off if I order soon :).

F*ck these GTX 970s. There are at least hundreds of people having issues using display port or dvi right now who are stick with a black screen. Can't even see it post. This is wide spread and nvidia's forum are lit up with this issue. Has to RMA my card already! Grrrrr...

So I take it I should wait for the next supply to come in as they are less likely to be defective. Good to know.

I recall doing the same with my motherboard.

It's official - I just bought the first component of what is soon to be my first gaming PC in 10 years! Time to look for deals for the rest of my components.

In case anyone is interested I found a deal on Tiger Direct for the Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz for $200. It involves using the code HPD145363 for $30 off, and signing up for a $10 off coupon and clicking on the link that is sent to your email. The deal expires on 10/31 and I didn't think I'd get a better price than that, so I decided to pull the trigger.

$200?! May have to jump in on this tomorrow even though I won't be building for another month or so. I doubt there will be a better deal than that. Thanks for the heads up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom