• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

Is it normal for an H100i to make a lot of noise? Running push/pull with stock fans.

If you have connected the fans to the H100i pump, use Corsair Link Software to reduce fan speeds.
If you connected fans to the motherboard 4pin headers, use the motherboard software to reduce fan speeds.

Skyzard

Banned
Holy shit I hope your H100i doesn't blow a leak like mine did, still recovering from that, mentally and financially.

Only ever going with decent air coolers now.

The PSU corsair (shitheads) didn't agree to replace finally completely gave up yesterday, just ordered an XFX 850W Black Edition psu at my own full cost.

Okay. "Built" a new system a few months ago (just on paper) and made a few updates now.

CPU: Intel i5 4690K (Boxed) (205,60 € @ mindfactory.de)
MoBo: ASRock Z97 Pro4 (112,40 € @ mindfactory.de)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120 M BW (24,19 € @ mindfactory.de)
GPU: 4096MB Asus GeForce GTX 970 Strix (347,85 € @ mindfactory.de)
RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (62,39 € @ mindfactory.de)
HDD: 1000GB WD Blue WD10EZEX 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s (46,59 € @ mindfactory.de)
SSD: 256GB Samsung 830 series (“recycled” from my current Notebook ;-))
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE (9,94 @ mindfactory.de)
PSU: 530 Watt be quiet! Pure Power L8 CM Modular 80+ Bronze (65,34 € @ mindfactory.de)
Case: Corsair Graphite 230T Midi Tower (67,85 € @ mindfactory.de)
Total: 942,15 €

Some questions:
1.) Any mistakes I made with my build? Like is the PSU still powerfull enough?
2.) Do I need additional thermal paste?
3.) Could be that I need a WLAN connection sometimes (e.g. for gaming with my brother in another room). Should I try a USB wifi adapter then or should I get a PCI card?

kvk1

When finished will have a powder coated black back panel and a smoked lexan side panel. The sleeving on the power supply will be blue/black with a couple strands of red. CPU and GPU watercooled.

That's awesome.

If in doubt, flat out.

bro1

Banned
Holy shit I hope your H100i doesn't blow a leak like mine did, still recovering from that, mentally and financially.

Only ever going with decent air coolers now.

The PSU corsair (shitheads) didn't agree to replace finally completely gave up yesterday, just ordered an XFX 850W Black Edition psu at my own full cost.

how did yours blow a leak? Was it around the fittings? Why didn't they give you money back for your parts? They have a process for that.

I think my clicking is coming from my PSU as it doesn't spin up unless it hits a certain temperature. Below that temp it clicks as the fan sensor engages. I think. Or at least that's the lie I'm telling myself.

My new issue is how loud my GTX 780 TI cards are in SLi. With my STX audio card below one GPU and my wifi card below the other, the fans are loud!!

dude

dude
I'm finalizing my build...
One question: I'm getting a Corsair 540 Air as a case, and GTX 970 (Gigabyte G1) for the GPU... I'm thinking of getting some Corsair Vengeance Pro (8x2) for the RAM, but I'm afraid it'll be too high to fit inside with the GPU and the case being not huge..
Can it? Should I consider some other RAM? Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks.

Can anyone pinpoint the problem with my PC? It was working perfectly but when i turned it on today the monitor wouldn't recognize it. Then when i tried to turn the PC off using the power button nothing would happen leading me to use the power switch in the wall socket.

Any ideas?

garath

I'm finalizing my build...
One question: I'm getting a Corsair 540 Air as a case, and GTX 970 (Gigabyte G1) for the GPU... I'm thinking of getting some Corsair Vengeance Pro (8x2) for the RAM, but I'm afraid it'll be too high to fit inside with the GPU and the case being not huge..
Can it? Should I consider some other RAM? Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks.

I'll always get low profile RAM. Depending on the layout of the mobo, it more often interferes with the larger CPU coolers more than anything. Low profile means you'll have no issues. If you like the vengeance RAM, there is a LP (low profile) version.

Pratfall

So Dota 2 crashed 2 nights ago, threw me to the desktop at a weird resolution and I had to force quit Dota to get back in. Then, last night, I booted it up again and during the pick phase, my screen got a bunch of blue squares on it and then it crashed hard into a reboot. My computer will now only get to the windows 7 load screen before BSOD auto rebooting. It will boot in safemode but there are still blue artifact lines all over the screen. Is my video card dead? HALP

So Dota 2 crashed 2 nights ago, threw me to the desktop at a weird resolution and I had to force quit Dota to get back in. Then, last night, I booted it up again and during the pick phase, my screen got a bunch of blue squares on it and then it crashed hard into a reboot. My computer will now only get to the windows 7 load screen before BSOD auto rebooting. It will boot in safemode but there are still blue artifact lines all over the screen. Is my video card dead? HALP

Sounds like it. Do you have onboard video? Try removing the video card and just using the onboard one, see if it boots okay.

Also check the GPU temperature in safe mode, in case it's overheating... though probably not. What card is it and how old? Might still be under warranty.

dude

dude
I'll always get low profile RAM. Depending on the layout of the mobo, it more often interferes with the larger CPU coolers more than anything. Low profile means you'll have no issues. If you like the vengeance RAM, there is a LP (low profile) version.

Thanks alot, I'll look for the LP version.

This is my build BTW, if anyone could give an opinion:

Code:
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
MoBo: Asus X99-A
Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2133hz CL11)
GPU: GeForce GTX 970 Gigabyte G1
PSU: Coolmaster V750
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
HD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 
Case: Corsair Air 540

thinking of going with no Optical Drive... But I might get too scared and shill for some cheap one...
Main uses are gaming and media work (3D, video editing, some After Effects stuff, shit like that...)

riflen

how did yours blow a leak? Was it around the fittings? Why didn't they give you money back for your parts? They have a process for that.

I think my clicking is coming from my PSU as it doesn't spin up unless it hits a certain temperature. Below that temp it clicks as the fan sensor engages. I think. Or at least that's the lie I'm telling myself.

My new issue is how loud my GTX 780 TI cards are in SLi. With my STX audio card below one GPU and my wifi card below the other, the fans are loud!!

Need that custom water loop. =)

Pratfall

Sounds like it. Do you have onboard video? Try removing the video card and just using the onboard one, see if it boots okay.

Also check the GPU temperature in safe mode, in case it's overheating... though probably not. What card is it and how old? Might still be under warranty.

It's a 580 that I have been thinking about replacing anyway. I didn't have a ton of time to troubleshoot so I should know more tonight.

Whelan

Banned
Hey guys, hoping for some help, have the following rig. Only got it about 6 months ago, and its already struggling (completely resetting) on the latest games.

Code:
Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz
8GB RAM
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
GTX 770

Is it just a case of upgrading the GPU or should I sort out the processor as well?

MisterM

Hey guys, hoping for some help, have the following rig. Only got it about 6 months ago, and its already struggling (completely resetting) on the latest games.

Code:
Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz
8GB RAM
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
GTX 770

Is it just a case of upgrading the GPU or should I sort out the processor as well?

Really? You should be flying with that setup, no?

colt92

Neo Member
Thanks alot, I'll look for the LP version.

This is my build BTW, if anyone could give an opinion:

Code:
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
MoBo: Asus X99-A
Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2133hz CL11)
GPU: GeForce GTX 970 Gigabyte G1
PSU: Coolmaster V750
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
HD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 
Case: Corsair Air 540

thinking of going with no Optical Drive... But I might get too scared and shill for some cheap one...
Main uses are gaming and media work (3D, video editing, some After Effects stuff, shit like that...)

Looks pretty good to me.

Really? You should be flying with that setup, no?

He most certainly should. Depends on what he understands as "struggling", though. Could be a PSU or heat issue (either not enough power/voltage or too much heat, which could cause both or either the CPU and GPU to underclock).

Whelan

Banned
He most certainly should. Depends on what he understands as "struggling", though. Could be a PSU or heat issue (either not enough power/voltage or too much heat, which could cause both or either the CPU and GPU to underclock).

I'm guessing its a heat problem. It just shuts down on Shadow of Modor for example, every 10 mintues or so. Very frustrating. So no need to update anything, just invest in some cooling equipment?

colt92

Neo Member
I'm guessing its a heat problem. It just shuts down on Shadow of Modor for example, every 10 mintues or so. Very frustrating. So no need to update anything, just invest in some cooling equipment?

First you should make sure of it. Use RealTemp to take a look at your CPU temperatures and clocks and MSI Afterburner for the GPU ones.

bro1

Banned

what are your CPU Temps and GPU temps? PSU age/wattage?

The cooler comes with a second set of mounting brackets and rubber pads. If you didn't mount a second fan, you could use those if you still have them.

I finally had time to see if I still had the second set of rubber pads, and I found out that I did. It did the trick too, I no longer hear any irritating rattling noises from my PC. :)

mdsfx

This is actually a known problem with this game. Have you tried playing something else?

Edit: What do you have for a power supply?

mdsfx

F*ck these GTX 970s. There are at least hundreds of people having issues using display port or dvi right now who are stick with a black screen. Can't even see it post. This is wide spread and nvidia's forum are lit up with this issue. Has to RMA my card already! Grrrrr...

Looks like it's not just a DVI problem with the 970s. Most are complaining about them not outputting a displayport signal. Wow. So disappointing. Have to use VGA until there is a fix. WTF...

colt92

Neo Member
Looks like it's not just a DVI problem with the 970s. Most are complaining about them not outputting a displayport signal. Wow. So disappointing. Have to use VGA until there is a fix. WTF...

Wait what? Which 970s are you talking about?

colt92

Neo Member
Take your pick. Asus Strix, Gigabyte G1, Zotac...all of the new GTX 970 cards.

Mine worked great since they came out, until yesterday.

Ah, shit. I bought an MSI 970 on launch day. It's running fine right now. I hope it doesn't give me any problems.

dude

dude
What? Shit... I was planning on the Gigabyte G1 970. Should I change it?
I'm buying it from overseas so if it bricks I'll have some problems getting a replacement or whatnot.

Guys, any recommendations for z77 boards? I am still having issues with my SLI setup and I think it's the board.

I am currently looking into those two:

http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog...H-Intel-Z77-Mainboard-Sockel-1155::18932.html

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_i...1155-Dual-Channel-DDR3-ATX-Retail_793738.html

Byebye Biostar:
sam_1336xwpz5.jpg

Hello Gigabyte:

Not only did it fix my GPU issue, but the uefi, board layout and connectors are so much better it's not even funny. And I paid a lot for the Biostar when it came out. :/ That thing was all kinds of fucked up. PC would turn off when trying to use manual fan controls and other shit. Never again! (New colors go well with the GPUs too) Happy till the next issue pops up.

Get the FTW if you can, it actually has a different cooler compared to the older cards. And EVGA still has the best customer support IMO. Otherwise I would go for MSI, Asus or Gigabyte (If the Gigabyte fits into your case). Currently all brands have issues with coil whine, but maybe the will be ironed out till Christmas time.

Good to know. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out. I think the Gigabyte would fit (it's actually in stock right now on Newegg) but it really is massive lol.

Teknoman

Had no idea the 280X was such a big card o_o. Luckily it fits just fine, but wow, scared for a sec. Is it usually best to just install whatever drivers are on the CD and go from there, or just download the most recent right off the bat?

Soodanim

If you can access the net, get the latest. No real reason to use the old ones unless something is really messed up, and even then you can use the 2nd newest.

I still haven't got mine yet I was just curious. I asked Amazon when they expect 980 shipments in and usually they can give an estimate but they couldn't even do that for the card due to demand. Sucks. I feel like I got scammed when I bought all my parts because it was in stock and then I order everything all at once only to see it went out of stock. *sigh*

I want to cancel it but then if I cancel I'll lose my queue of actually getting one...and then I'll have to monitor websites forever with software to get one. This release is such a nightmare. I blame you AMD for not releasing anything this year lol!

I've been looking for them to go back in stock at another store but haven't got any luck yet. If I can grab one before Amazon ships me it I'll just cancel that order.

Skyzard

Banned

Yep, around the fittings. Them and their process sucks ass.

They only covered the GPU, which wouldn't turn on, all the other components had water damage but were somewhat working. Even though everything was very new and invoices were provided for them.

They didn't even fully replace the cost of the gpu, they don't cover tax.

Got my brand new PSU. That toxicity.

That might have been the sound card popping...amazon to the rescue.

We can rebuild it.
One day I'll get this puppy to how he was a few months back.

Finished putting together my new rig today.
It is so fast coming from a laptop with an AMD mobility 5870 that I was a bit disoriented when I tried a game which i can only get 30 fps max before.

And the MSI 970 doesn't seem to have coil whine even when I tried to listen for it.

antoniobanderas.gif

LilJoka

Byebye Biostar:

Hello Gigabyte:

Not only did it fix my GPU issue, but the uefi, board layout and connectors are so much better it's not even funny. And I paid a lot for the Biostar when it came out. :/ That thing was all kinds of fucked up. PC would turn off when trying to use manual fan controls and other shit. Never again! (New colors go well with the GPUs too) Happy till the next issue pops up.

Biostar used to be good, like the AsRock of today providing innovative and advanced features in the Core 2 days. Nowdays its to be avoided. Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, ASrock, EVGA are always to be considered as go-to brands for boards.

Biostar used to be good, like the AsRock of today providing innovative and advanced features in the Core 2 days. Nowdays its to be avoided. Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, ASrock, EVGA are always to be considered as go-to brands for boards.

Yeah, I kinda went with them because I remembered the name from my old PC building days and it sounded decent in a review. Reality was that bios and documentation are really bad and fan control completely useless. On top of that they stopped providing updates very quickly. The only good thing I can say about the board is that the OC funtions were pretty good.

I can forgive some of that stuff, but technical issues on top? No way.

mdsfx

Ah, shit. I bought an MSI 970 on launch day. It's running fine right now. I hope it doesn't give me any problems.

Mine was an Asus. Wasn't getting video with ANY outputs after 2 weeks of perfect (and cool) operation. Troubleshot mobo, worked with a different card no problem, rolled back drivers, reset bios... nothing.

Sent it back for a refund through Newegg RMA. Trying the Gigabyte G1 this time, but i know it's luck of the draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom