• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet, ditched a combo and parted everything out in the "great" column. 904 shipped with Win8.1 to boot. mobo, i5, 1866 RAM, 760, 650W, etc. I have another ATX mid I will be reusing. Coolermaster Storm Scout. Should go together nicely.

Mastadon

Banned
Just pulled the Trigger on this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/33YMyc

Haven't built a PC in 12 years It's going to be fun and games haha
There's a 2 week wait on the 970 from Amazon UK and the h240x will also take 2 weeks to get here , the rest will be here by weeks end.
Lots of reading and video tutorials meanwhile.
I'm quite excited I have to admit.

Putting mine together this weekend. Going from excitement to pure terror every hour or so!

M.D

I'm looking to upgrade my 2008 pc, but I want a pc that will play current gen games for the next few years without upgrading again

I will need to upgrade my mother board, cpu, gpu, ram and possibly hdd

I can get an i7 4970k + z97x gaming g1 for 389$

For gpu it seems like the gtx 970 would the best option, and ram/hdd are cheap so whatever

The only question is if my psu
CORSAIR 650W TX CMPSU-650TX and case ANTEC 900 will fit these parts, because buying a new psu and case would make it too exepnsive for me

Quoting this for the new page

I was talking about i7 4790K, not 4970 ;p no wonder I couldn't find anything about that one lol

Anyways, I can get that CPU and motherboard for 389$

I want to buy the GTX 970 which is 10.5 inches length, and according to Newegg my Antec 900 will be fine - "Maximum Video Card Size: 16" (406mm) (Note: some video cards may require removal of the adjacent hard drive cage)"

Looking at PSU test here http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-970-sli-review,4.html

It seems my PSU (650W) will have no problem handling this GPU?

So it looks like I'm set on that front - as for RAM, it looks like 16GB is actually quite expensive, so I'm probably going to buy 8GB and add 8 more sometime in the future

Are there any particular brands that I should look out for?

As for HDD, I have no idea if I should upgrade it or what difference it can make..

so overall, looking at this PC

Antec 900
Motherboard: Z97X-Gaming G1
CPU: i7 4790K
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
Memory: 8GB (will add 8 in the future when I feel like I need it)
PSU: CORSAIR 650W TX CMPSU-650TX

Do you think this PC will make it till the end of this gen? I'm talking about playing at 1080p max on a single screen, nothing too crazy

I want to play games at high settings with good FPS and not having to worry about upgrading for the next 4 years at least

LilJoka

Just pulled the Trigger on this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/33YMyc

Haven't built a PC in 12 years It's going to be fun and games haha
There's a 2 week wait on the 970 from Amazon UK and the h240x will also take 2 weeks to get here , the rest will be here by weeks end.
Lots of reading and video tutorials meanwhile.
I'm quite excited I have to admit.

I think its a great build overall, but think some sacrifices are made. Heres an alternative:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/K9fNBm

Either way, you are going to have a killer build on your hands.

LilJoka

Quoting this for the new page

I was talking about i7 4790K, not 4970 ;p no wonder I couldn't find anything about that one lol

Anyways, I can get that CPU and motherboard for 389$

I want to buy the GTX 970 which is 10.5 inches length, and according to Newegg my Antec 900 will be fine - "Maximum Video Card Size: 16" (406mm) (Note: some video cards may require removal of the adjacent hard drive cage)"

Looking at PSU test here http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-970-sli-review,4.html

It seems my PSU (650W) will have no problem handling this GPU?

So it looks like I'm set on that front - as for RAM, it looks like 16GB is actually quite expensive, so I'm probably going to buy 8GB and add 8 more sometime in the future

Are there any particular brands that I should look out for?

As for HDD, I have no idea if I should upgrade it or what difference it can make..

so overall, looking at this PC

Antec 900
Motherboard: Z97X-Gaming G1
CPU: i7 4790K
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
Memory: 8GB (will add 8 in the future when I feel like I need it)
PSU: CORSAIR 650W TX CMPSU-650TX

Do you think this PC will make it till the end of this gen? I'm talking about playing at 1080p max on a single screen, nothing too crazy

I want to play games at high settings with good FPS and not having to worry about upgrading for the next 4 years at least

TX650 is extremely capable, heres what ive run on my TX650

3960x 4.8Ghz ~ 250W max draw
GTX 780 overclocked out the window ~350W max draw
3 7200rpm HDDs, SSD, 16GB 2133Mhz Ram.

No rig needs more than 650w for a single GPU setup, and usually 550W is enough.

mauinho

Neo Member
I think its a great build overall, but think some sacrifices are made. Heres an alternative:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/K9fNBm

Either way, you are going to have a killer build on your hands.

This will be a gaming only build I considered the i7 but the extra cost didnt look worth it vs performance plus I got a good deal on the Swiftech h240x and that hopefully will allow me to OC the i5 to the moon...
Im quite nervous I have to admit about putting it all together and installing Windows and updating Bioses etc etc....

LilJoka

This will be a gaming only build I considered the i7 but the extra cost didnt look worth it vs performance plus I got a good deal on the Swiftech h240x and that hopefully will allow me to OC the i5 to the moon...
Im quite nervous I have to admit about putting it all together and installing Windows and updating Bioses etc etc....

Yeah lots of people think this, but they are at the mercy of the thermal paste Intel uses between the CPU die and heatspreader, CPU coolers have extremely diminishing advantage because of that. Your taking a gamble when for the same price you could get something like 4.3Ghz guaranteed on a 4790k with just a Hyper 212.

Let us know your results though.

mauinho

Neo Member
Yeah lots of people think this, but they are at the mercy of the thermal paste Intel uses between the CPU die and heatspreader, CPU coolers have extremely diminishing advantage because of that. Your taking a gamble when for the same price you could get something like 4.3Ghz guaranteed on a 4790k with just a Hyper 212.

Let us know your results though.

Worst case cenario I'll get a fellow Gaffer to delid it for me :)

I'm hoping the chip lottery will favour me tho on OCN the average OC seems to be 4.4Ghz but of course I have no experience in overclocking lol

Dont make me even more nervous or I'll have a heart attack haha

LilJoka

Worst case cenario I'll get a fellow Gaffer to delid it for me :)

I'm hoping the chip lottery will favour me tho on OCN the average OC seems to be 4.4Ghz but of course I have no experience in overclocking lol

Dont make me even more nervous or I'll have a heart attack haha

Delidding is definatly an option, it is really easy tbh, if youve got a vice that is. Did a few at work, hammer and vice, 3 gentle knocks loosens the rubber/epoxy and i just life the lid off. Thing is, if you considered delidding, thats around 15c drop, then i would definatly of got a medium range cooler, some CLU and the i7 and aimed for 4.5Ghz.

Probably the i5 4570, but ~5% or so worse.

Wow you guys weren't kidding when saying that my 2500k has some time left. Probably a year or two longer if I overclock.

How long would a 2500k and a 970GTX last me before I have to upgrade one or the other if I want to be able to play the latest and greatest games on at least medium to medium-high settings?

mauinho

Neo Member
Delidding is definatly an option, it is really easy tbh, if youve got a vice that is. Did a few at work, hammer and vice, 3 gentle knocks loosens the rubber/epoxy and i just life the lid off. Thing is, if you considered delidding, thats around 15c drop, then i would definatly of got a medium range cooler, some CLU and the i7 and aimed for 4.5Ghz.

Im not even sure I can put the whole thing together without setting the house on fire ... my last build had a geforce2 GTS and 3dmark was from madonion or something like that. Ive been busy having kids and stuff now I'm playing catch up :)

joecanada

Hey all I was going to look for a new laptop and my primary application is just school but maybe into playing some games and doing some downloading, file converting, etc.
Any lessons people could share about specs to focus on like minimum ram, hdd, etc? do people find that grabbing someone's top of the line used is better or a more reasonable priced new one is better?
Any lessons learned or wisdom would be much appreciated.
My budget is only about 500 but for reference I've been using the same 7 year old laptop just fine until recently...

knitoe

Wow you guys weren't kidding when saying that my 2500k has some time left. Probably a year or two longer if I overclock.

How long would a 2500k and a 970GTX last me before I have to upgrade one or the other if I want to be able to play the latest and greatest games on at least medium to medium-high settings?
Given consoles have crappy CPUs & GPUs plus most games are ports, it should easy last you for the next 5-6 years on medium settings.

And, next time, OC right from the start. You could have been enjoying the free speeds for the last 3 years.

androvsky

Quick, random question. Does putting in a PCI Express 1.0 card into a system drop the other cards on that bus to 1.0 speed? The system is a 3770K in an ASUS P8Z77V motherboard.

So I'm looking for a GPU and ram to round out my build. Here is what I have the moment:

Mobo: ASUS P8H67-M
RAM: 4GB of cheap ram
CPU: I5-3570K
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts 650W
GPU: 460 512MB

Since I'm not really up on the latest cards these days, what would the best price/performance NVIDIA GPU I could get for $200 max? RIght now I have my eye on the MSI N660, but second opinions are always great.

Looking to get myself 2x 4GB ram sticks, which is the standard these days right? Suggestions on reliable RAM would be great, since I've always just stuck cheap RAM in my computer and called it a day.

To get an idea of what I want out of this build, I'm looking to get high-ultra settings on the WItcher 3 at 1680x1050 (monitor upgrade will come next year sometime). Will probably turn off motion blur since that makes me sick, and turn down the AA since I don't notice the difference in most games.

Given consoles have crappy CPUs & GPUs plus most games are ports, it should easy last you for the next 5-6 years on medium settings.

And, next time, OC right from the start. You could have been enjoying the free speeds for the last 3 years.

Can I OC from Windows with some type of software? Will OC take up significant energy?

And really? It will comfortably last me to the next console generation on medium settings at 1080p at 60fps? Or 720p at 30fps?

I remember PC components used to get outdated much faster. What happened?

Can I OC from Windows with some type of software? Will OC take up significant energy?

And really? It will comfortably last me to the next console generation on medium settings at 1080p at 60fps? Or 720p at 30fps?

I remember PC components used to get outdated much faster. What happened?

You'll want to OC your CPU in the bios. Software based solutions in my limited experience have been very unstable.

Whether or not the power consumption will increase depends on the voltage you'll need to achieve your overclock.

As for what you can expect by the end of the generation, I don't think anyone can see that far forward but with a solid overclock, it doesn't look like that end is near. Even an OCed i7 920, a CPU from 2008 is still holding pretty strong.

As far as why PC components have been lasting longer, performance gains in both CPUs and GPUs have slowed over the last several generations combined with a very long console generation and the followup consoles were conservative.

Hindl

GAF I need help building my PC. I followed the techreport guide, but when I connected all the wires and pressed the power button, nothing happened.Here's my specs:

CPU: i7-4790K
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97x-UD3H
Heatsink: Noctua nh-u12s
GPU: MSI GTX 970
SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
Power Supply: CM GX II 750W
Ram: 2 x 8 GB DDR3-1866
Case: Fractal Define R4

I've checked all the wires and they're in the right places, I can provide pictures if neccessary. I also removed the GPU and moved the ram around, still nothing. When I press the power button, nothing happens. No sound, no noise or anything. Anything else I can try, or should I remove all of the parts and reinstall step by step?

It's that time of the year again, somebody else in the large family need a PC.

Main use will be to play HD movie/tv show a lot of it. Some light gaming when the kids are over.

The budget is around 400$.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/t9RQLk
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/t9RQLk/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD A6-7400K 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($73.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-S1 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($58.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($88.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $420.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-28 20:33 EDT-0400

Thanks for the help.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
GAF I need help building my PC. I followed the techreport guide, but when I connected all the wires and pressed the power button, nothing happened.Here's my specs:

I've checked all the wires and they're in the right places, I can provide pictures if neccessary. I also removed the GPU and moved the ram around, still nothing. When I press the power button, nothing happens. No sound, no noise or anything. Anything else I can try, or should I remove all of the parts and reinstall step by step?

See the second post 'help my build wont turn on'

garath

Couple things to check right off:

- does the PSU have a power switch on the back that needs to be turned on?
- try flipping the power switch cable you plugged into the motherboard around. It's not always clear what's positive and what's negative. Its a common mistake.

You'll want to OC your CPU in the bios. Software based solutions in my limited experience have been very unstable.

Whether or not the power consumption will increase depends on the voltage you'll need to achieve your overclock.

As for what you can expect by the end of the generation, I don't think anyone can see that far forward but with a solid overclock, it doesn't look like that end is near. Even an OCed i7 920, a CPU from 2008 is still holding pretty strong.

As far as why PC components have been lasting longer, performance gains in both CPUs and GPUs have slowed over the last several generations combined with a very long console generation and the followup consoles were conservative.
So Moore's Law is crap?

I assumed a contributing factor is that well most games don't really need to be that cutting edge anymore. The more time marches on the fewer games there are that can benefit from having a more powerful machine.

Now I'm debating whether I should get a GTX 980 now or just wait a few months for the next upgrade (which is suppose to be a BIG one). I mean I'm not going to play any high end games until Witcher 3.

Garou

- try flipping the power switch cable you plugged into the motherboard around. It's not always clear what's positive and what's negative. Its a common mistake.

Positive/Negative is only relevant for LEDs, it makes no difference for switches.

appaws

Banned
So I'm looking for a GPU and ram to round out my build. Here is what I have the moment:

Mobo: ASUS P8H67-M
RAM: 4GB of cheap ram
CPU: I5-3570K
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts 650W
GPU: 460 512MB

Since I'm not really up on the latest cards these days, what would the best price/performance NVIDIA GPU I could get for $200 max? RIght now I have my eye on the MSI N660, but second opinions are always great.

Looking to get myself 2x 4GB ram sticks, which is the standard these days right? Suggestions on reliable RAM would be great, since I've always just stuck cheap RAM in my computer and called it a day.

To get an idea of what I want out of this build, I'm looking to get high-ultra settings on the WItcher 3 at 1680x1050 (monitor upgrade will come next year sometime). Will probably turn off motion blur since that makes me sick, and turn down the AA since I don't notice the difference in most games.

You should maybe consider a 760. I think you can get one for $195, something like that.

For RAM, yeah 2x4gb is what you want. RAM is pretty expensive right now. I would say most of the major brands are pretty reliable.

Do you already own that other stuff...? You could look for a nice Z77 board so you can overclock that 3570k....?

garath

Positive/Negative is only relevant for LEDs, it makes no difference for switches.

Learn something new every day.

Though I could have sworn I've had non functioning power buttons in builds long ago where a flipped switch fixed it. Good enough!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Bought the "I Need a New PC Fan Favorite" computer today:

15654843455_0d01d3e35a_c.jpg

2012 model. Dual Core i5, 4GB, 500GB. $400 new at Best Buy with full 1yr warranty.

Got it for my mom for Christmas. She has a 17" 2006 Core Duo iMac that is on its last leg. It's still running Leopard. Hard drive is dying, and shit, restarts take about 7 minutes, lol.

Figured this would be a perfectly adequate replacement. I toyed with building her something; but for $400, I really won't beat that and have the ease of use. She can plug it into her TV - already has a wireless keyboard and mouse. Simple and easy; that's best for her. Will work well with the iPad and iPhone.

Ordered. The "Great" build with 760 should suffice for 2D development. Opted for a 256 SSD, 600w and 8.1 OEM. 910.97 to my door.

Picking up repair parts (HDD, PSU) for my current rig, fixing and donating it :D Will be excited to have a week off of programming to knock out my backlog on my main rig. The SSD should be a game changer for me for speed. My Blues were nice but this should make Unity snappy, especially when importing large batches of things. Overall workflow speed should increase. I may have to SSD my main gaming rig if the speed is worth it. A couple of 512s wouldn't be a bad idea, IMO. Gotta wait a bit tho. Tapped for cash after this.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So Moore's Law is crap?

I assumed a contributing factor is that well most games don't really need to be that cutting edge anymore. The more time marches on the fewer games there are that can benefit from having a more powerful machine.

Now I'm debating whether I should get a GTX 980 now or just wait a few months for the next upgrade (which is suppose to be a BIG one). I mean I'm not going to play any high end games until Witcher 3.
980 is 10% faster for $220 more, up to you. I say no.

Moore's Law got slowed down by the need to make new plants (Billions and years of investment with worse returns now more than ever), image technology, mobile demand, and software that needs to make use of core count.

If you look at performance vs wattage it's still very applicable instead of performance vs price. One look at new GPU tech and mobile CPUs getting near 3Ghz quad cores will confirm that.
Ordered. The "Great" build with 760 should suffice for 2D development. Opted for a 256 SSD, 600w and 8.1 OEM. 910.97 to my door.

Picking up repair parts (HDD, PSU) for my current rig, fixing and donating it :D Will be excited to have a week off of programming to knock out my backlog on my main rig. The SSD should be a game changer for me for speed. My Blues were nice but this should make Unity snappy, especially when importing large batches of things. Overall workflow speed should increase. I may have to SSD my main gaming rig if the speed is worth it. A couple of 512s wouldn't be a bad idea, IMO. Gotta wait a bit tho. Tapped for cash after this.

Enjoy!

Hindl

See the second post 'help my build wont turn on'

Couple things to check right off:

- does the PSU have a power switch on the back that needs to be turned on?
Thanks I saw the second post and tried everything short of bare assembly outside of case. But I did that and luckily it worked so that's good. Now to reassemble. One thing tho. I noticed that one of my mobos standoff holes, the one near the sata express/ram slot, doesn't have a corresponding hole on my case. So I can't put a standoff there. Every other place has one. Any solutions or is something wrong?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks I saw the second post and tried everything short of bare assembly outside of case. But I did that and luckily it worked so that's good. Now to reassemble. One thing tho. I noticed that one of my mobos standoff holes, the one near the sata express/ram slot, doesn't have a corresponding hole on my case. So I can't put a standoff there. Every other place has one. Any solutions or is something wrong?
Common, it's fine

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Wow, those Nvidia prices are crazy! Seems they are backordered or 100$+ more expensive than their original price. Makes the 290x a bargain, heck even the overclocked cards are cheaper than the 970... love competition :)!!

The lightning was 700$ a few months ago, 399 if you look a bit =)!!!!

Got a vapor-x and a Lightning 290x. Can't wait to see them in action!!!

980 is 10% faster for $220 more, up to you. I say no.

Moore's Law got slowed down by the need to make new plants (Billions and years of investment with worse returns now more than ever), image technology, mobile demand, and software that needs to make use of core count.

If you look at performance vs wattage it's still very applicable instead of performance vs price. One look at new GPU tech and mobile CPUs getting near 3Ghz quad cores will confirm that.

Enjoy!
I meant GTX 970 sorry. And do you mean no to the 980 or no to waiting a few more months until new cards come out?

Looking to build my first PC. Something that runs most game at 1080P, 60 fps, High settings

How does this setup look. Canadian prices. Hard to tell if this setup is decent without much PC experience.

[PCPartPicker part list](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/6xB2zy) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/6xB2zy/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54690k) | $248.98 @ DirectCanada
**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2) | $34.98 @ NCIX
**Motherboard** | [MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z87g45gaming) | $158.98 @ Newegg Canada
**Memory** | [G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl9d8gbxl) | $80.79 @ DirectCanada
**Storage** | [Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-internal-hard-drive-sv300s37a240g) | $99.95 @ DirectCanada
**Video Card** | [EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42972kr) | $379.99 @ NCIX
**Case** | [Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-rc912kkn1) | $47.99 @ NCIX
**Power Supply** | [EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g10650xr) | $64.99 @ NCIX
**Optical Drive** | [Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-optical-drive-sh224dbbebe) | $17.09 @ DirectCanada
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $1133.74
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-28 22:46 EDT-0400 |

You should maybe consider a 760. I think you can get one for $195, something like that.

For RAM, yeah 2x4gb is what you want. RAM is pretty expensive right now. I would say most of the major brands are pretty reliable.

Do you already own that other stuff...? You could look for a nice Z77 board so you can overclock that 3570k....?

I do, the mobo was one I had to cheap out on last year because the old one died on me while out of work. Its on the list of things after I get this set of upgrades up and running, right now I would rather future proof the rest of the PC and then go for things like a 1080 monitor and a mobo that can overclock.

Turns out there is an EVGA 760 in my price range. Benchmarks look great, will grab that one, thanks!

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a weird question for you folks:

Are there any leads for deals on black Friday week? And will more common parts go on sale or is it just going to be trying to get rid of inventory on lessor stuff? To jump to the chase, is this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J2LIF2S/?tag=neogaf0e-20 going to get any cheaper or is it totally a low luck gamble?

I mentioned before in here my friend wants to build a cheap competent PC, and I'm getting all the parts and building for him, then delivering it to him on Christmas since we'll meet up then anyways (to save on shipping).

Trying to get prepped because I don't want to miss out on any good deals on reliable SSDs, that processor (or similar), PSU's, Windows 7, and a mid tower case.

The Llama

Here's a weird question for you folks:

Are there any leads for deals on black Friday week? And will more common parts go on sale or is it just going to be trying to get rid of inventory on lessor stuff? To jump to the chase, is this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J2LIF2S/?tag=neogaf0e-20 going to get any cheaper or is it totally a low luck gamble?

I mentioned before in here my friend wants to build a cheap competent PC, and I'm getting all the parts and building for him, then delivering it to him on Christmas since we'll meet up then anyways (to save on shipping).

Trying to get prepped because I don't want to miss out on any good deals on reliable SSDs, that processor (or similar), PSU's, Windows 7, and a mid tower case.

There aren't usually any great black friday sales on PC hardware. Yeah, there's some stuff, but if you were to shop smart over the next week or 2, you probably wouldn't miss out on anything.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
There aren't usually any great black friday sales on PC hardware. Yeah, there's some stuff, but if you were to shop smart over the next week or 2, you probably wouldn't miss out on anything.

Probably an awful followup, but any tips on doing such a thing? Where should I be looking? Just newegg and Amazon? Is there any place to keep up on deals or a place that posts good deals? Seems like it would be a lot of work to manually check the prices of all competitive items every day after work on every tech site.

Cruz

Neo Member
Whoever seen my picture of what i was going to get from microcenter (about 2 pages back) i think am going all out and get a gtx 980 instead of a 970, dont care about budget but hopefully 2,000 is enough but going to try to claim it in my income tax as am a full time worker and full time student, What will you guys recc for a build including a 980 now rather than a 970 ????

Whoever seen my picture of what i was going to get from microcenter (about 2 pages back) i think am going all out and get a gtx 980 instead of a 970, dont care about budget but hopefully 2,000 is enough but going to try to claim it in my income tax as am a full time worker and full time student, What will you guys recc for a build including a 980 now rather than a 970 ????

The build for a 980 is the same as a build for the 970.

Cruz

Neo Member
The build for a 980 is the same as a build for the 970.

Thank you ! This is my notes so far with the adjustments you guys gave me

Drop the dvd drive ( really dont know why if you can explain, its not necc anymore?

Change to windows 8.1 , Reddit's /Softwareswap (~$20 for W8.1) and bring the ISO
and product key to Microcenter on a USB drive. ( but from i hear you may not be able to)

Better quality psu ( more intensize you will need 800w+ )

Add Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

Haswell-E? The 5820k at microcenter is only $20 more than the 4790k. You'd have to get DDR4 instead of DDR3, but it would be more future proof.

This looks good an any more info i should need ?
thank you everyone , this is exciting !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom