• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettWeir

Excited for a rebuild...well.....relocation, I suppose.

Just bought Corsair R400, Corsair 100i, Rosewill multimedia card reader/USB 3.0 hub, and LG Blu-Ray burner.

Going from a SilverStone Sugo SG10 with stock Intel CPU heatsink/fan, a half broken USB 3.0 card reader, and no DVD/BD drive. Importing all of my CD's via a USB external DVD drive was pure hell. And will finally be able overclock the CPU (4670k) and feel comfortable about it.

LilJoka

Damn all those years I've been running my drives needlessly bottlenecked?! I'm so mad at myself.

Not if they are HDDs, only SSDs really benefit from SATA 6gbps. HDDs barely hit 100MB/s sequential, or 1gbps. Even in RAID the optimistic value would be double for 200MBps if its RAID0.

Not if they are HDDs, only SSDs really benefit from SATA 6gbps. HDDs barely hit 100MB/s sequential, or 1gbps. Even in RAID the optimistic value would be double for 200MBps if its RAID0.

Yeah I figured as much after freaking out over nothing. Connected them to 0 and 1 and PC booted fine.

Now installing the GTX 970...

considering i can max out COD with my 750 TI(Not that I play it, just using it as an example) i decided to just upgrade the cpu once I get the funds to do so. I was looking at the i5 4690k but are there any new cpus coming out from Intel?

Another question, bear with me guys: Does it matter if I connect the 6 and 8 pin power connectors to the GPU from the same cable or is it better to use separate cables for each?

Holy stiff cables Batman

SugarDave

Final part, the 970, arrived today! Time to build this weekend.
3AQmK.gif

Quick dumb question. I'm going to be using a PCI-E wi-fi adapter which comes with a disc to install the drivers. I don't have an optical drive for my build, can I download the drivers on my laptop, put them on a USB stick and install them through that on the new PC?

Gurrry

So just wanna give a Cyberpower PC update

I posted a few weeks ago about my friend who had to send in his broken Cyberpower PC after he recieved a defective unit. They charged him 100 dollars to send it in.

Guess what..

He got it back today, STILL BROKEN!

Cyberpower PC is a criminal orginzation and anyone you see defending them should be investigated for collusion. Not only did it come back broken, they had the audacity to try and CHARGE him to send it in again!!!! He got the manager on the phone and they redacted the 100 dollar charge they tried to put on him again.

What a fucking atrocious company. I doubt there is anyway for him to get a full refund at this point, so he basically has a 1300 dollar brick until they decide they actually want to fix it.

There is obviously zero QA at Cyberpower PC. Why the fuck would they send it to him when they didnt even fix the issue?!?!?!?!?!?! It wouldve taken half a second to plug it in and turn it on and go, welp, yeah this didnt work! But NOPE.

This is an absolute mess, and I discourage EVERYONE from using Cyber Power PC. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM!

garath

Another question, bear with me guys: Does it matter if I connect the 6 and 8 pin power connectors to the GPU from the same cable or is it better to use separate cables for each?

Holy stiff cables Batman

Hmm. I'm pretty sure my 6 pin and 6+2 cables on my PSU are stand alone (for the intended GPU powering purpose). If yours is doubled up for some reason it should be fine but you can use separate for some peace of mind.

Final part, the 970, arrived today! Time to build this weekend.
3AQmK.gif

Quick dumb question. I'm going to be using a PCI-E wi-fi adapter which comes with a disc to install the drivers. I don't have an optical drive for my build, can I download the drivers on my laptop, put them on a USB stick and install them through that on the new PC?

I'm pretty sure Windows will have some generic drivers for your WIFI card to make it work but regardless, yes, using an USB stick will work just fine.

The Llama

So just wanna give a Cyberpower PC update

I posted a few weeks ago about my friend who had to send in his broken Cyberpower PC after he recieved a defective unit. They charged him 100 dollars to send it in.

Guess what..

He got it back today, STILL BROKEN!

Cyberpower PC is a criminal orginzation and anyone you see defending them should be investigated for collusion. Not only did it come back broken, they had the audacity to try and CHARGE him to send it in again!!!! He got the manager on the phone and they redacted the 100 dollar charge they tried to put on him again.

What a fucking atrocious company. I doubt there is anyway for him to get a full refund at this point, so he basically has a 1300 dollar brick until they decide they actually want to fix it.

There is obviously zero QA at Cyberpower PC. Why the fuck would they send it to him when they didnt even fix the issue?!?!?!?!?!?! It wouldve taken half a second to plug it in and turn it on and go, welp, yeah this didnt work! But NOPE.

This is an absolute mess, and I discourage EVERYONE from using Cyber Power PC. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM!

As a future defense attorney I object to this!

But seriously that's really messed up and I'm sorry to hear that.

Hmm. I'm pretty sure my 6 pin and 6+2 cables on my PSU are stand alone (for the intended GPU powering purpose). If yours is doubled up for some reason it should be fine but you can use separate for some peace of mind.

PSU came with a few PCI-E power cords (one is fixed and the rest modular), each has 2x 6+2 ends. I used two seperate cables because bending the second one from the same cable was difficult. Card is running fine (heard some coil whine during the Windows Experience rating thing, but case is open and next to me so can't judge how bad it will be once all is settled). Haven't tried any games yet.

Anyway, yay! And thanks to everyone for all the help!

Teggy

That feeling when Newegg delivers your new mobo, processor and RAM several days earlier than expected...but not your new case. :(

appaws

Banned
I finally received all the parts for my PC so I'm going to start building it today. Aside from the TechReport video linked in the OP, are there any other handy guides/videos I should go over before I start? This is my first time putting together a PC so I want to make sure I do everything properly.

Newegg also has a good step by step series of videos....you can start with the second one because the fist one is about selecting components.

appaws

Banned
As a future defense attorney I object to this!

But seriously that's really messed up and I'm sorry to hear that.

Good to see another one of our profession on here....

It gives us $$$ to enjoy our PCs....but no time!

You still in law school? I graduated University of Kentucky Law, Class of 2013. Go Big Blue!

XenoRaven

Is it normal to feel a sort of faint sadness when replacing an old PC part? This is the first time I've done it and I feel like giving my old 570 a pat on the back.

Thanks for the memories, old friend.

The Llama

Is it normal to feel a sort of faint sadness when replacing an old PC part? This is the first time I've done it and I feel like giving my old 570 a pat on the back.

Thanks for the memories, old friend.

Honestly, I always just take my stuff apart. Like I'll take the fans off GPU's, open up hard drives, de-lid CPU's, etc. Then just throw it away after haha.

Good to see another one of our profession on here....

It gives us $$$ to enjoy our PCs....but no time!

You still in law school? I graduated University of Kentucky Law, Class of 2013. Go Big Blue!

Yep, graduate in May. Wanna give me a job? Haha.

itxaka

Defeatist
So this is what I got:
Amd x4 3.2ghz
8gb ram
Gtx 760

It seems that I'm getting short of CPU for the latest games and I feel the itch to upgrade.

Cheching all the builds and so on I'm thinking of picking a i7 4960k and a new motherboard (z97 is recommended everywhere) plus an extra 8gb of ram in 2 sticks so I can have 12gb total.

But I have seen that there is a new Intel line 5xxx.

Should I wait? Should just press the trigger and upgrade my old, unoverclockable athlon?

Thanks gaf

Also modular psus are awesome, but I can't just throw my old one. :sad

Ianan

Can anyone recommend a 27" 2560x1440p IPS monitor? Would like it to be suitable for gaming so no higher than 5ms and will be buying in the UK. I'm getting a headache searching for one seriously. I seen the Nixes Vue one from the OP but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK anywhere.

Holy stiff cables Batman
Running off the same cable is fine. The fact that they're stiff should also give you reassurance that they're able to handle the load.
We weren't going to; this is the PC building thread ;)
So this is what I got:
Amd x4 3.2ghz
8gb ram
Gtx 760

It seems that I'm getting short of CPU for the latest games and I feel the itch to upgrade.

Cheching all the builds and so on I'm thinking of picking a i7 4960k and a new motherboard (z97 is recommended everywhere) plus an extra 8gb of ram in 2 sticks so I can have 12gb total.

But I have seen that there is a new Intel line 5xxx.

Should I wait? Should just press the trigger and upgrade my old, unoverclockable athlon?

Thanks gaf

Also modular psus are awesome, but I can't just throw my old one. :sad
The 5xxx series is the enthusiast socket. You'd need to get DDR4 ram. Unless you're willing to spend $1000 just stick with a 4790k. As far as the PSU goes, I'd recommend just hold on to it. In case your PSU goes bad it's good to have one on hand.

Addnan

@paolo11 I'll tell you something. You won't SLI next year. Do it now or never and if you do inside a smaller case get the reference blower design.

Smokey

@paolo11 I'll tell you something. You won't SLI next year. Do it now or never and if you do inside a smaller case get the reference blower design.

Yep.

If you're gonna SLI you do it at time of purchase or at max within a 2 month window or something.

Effect

Anyone willing to let me know what kind of increase I could possible get and how significant of an increase it would be with this type of replacement. Going to be doing this in waves. Right now my RAM, 8GB, works with the new possible motherboard (I've checked the numbers) so I'm not worried on that front. Same when it comes to my power supply, case, etc. Will replace my GeForce GTX 560 sometime early next year. Right now my biggest hurdle for newer games is the CPU I'm noticing. The currents were both purchased back in 2011 and they've lasted me until now.

Replacing the following

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8GHz Quad-Core, 2
Motherboard - Asus M4A79XTD EVO ATX AM3, 2

with

CPU - AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor, 2
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard, 2

Would this jump be future proofing myself to a degree? Should I be looking to go higher? This would put me below $300 which is what I'm okay with for the moment.

The goal is to build something that stops me from picking up a PS4/XBO and to balance out my Wii U as far as gaming goes. I'd also like to try my hand at some video editing and maybe streaming if possible and I feel I'll need more power then what my current build can handle.
Thanks.

paolo11

Ok,if bitfenix pandora is small and toasty for SLI, maybe this will solve it with SLI

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Paolo11/saved/JQTFf7

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

Cooler Master GeminII M4 58.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Intel 520 Series Cherryville 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card SLI x 2

Silverstone GD09B HTPC Case

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

Steambox X. I think this should cover all issues,no?

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to do this. Best part is that it's under my estimated budget.

Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to upgrade things with this? I'm trying to be a better PC owner, and I hear it's better to upgrade part by part than start over new. I'd do it now but I think my current rig is too old, 4-5+ years.

Sorry didn't see this til now. You'd be able to upgrade to 16gb of ram if you wanted, additional hard drives shouldn't be a problem. You could put in another 970 down the line for sli but you would need a higher wattage power supply. If you plan on doing this, I would recommend this psu: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

axb2013

"5-Year Old Builds a PC"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr3MgKkS314

You should watch this video if:

A) You just like Cuteness
B) You have kids
C) You want to buy a prebuilt PC...watch and be ashamed!

* Extra cute how she keeps complaining about the startup time...her new build has an SSD, score!

I don't mean to aggravate or insult members who want prebuilt ones but...

If the 5yr old building a PC video doesn't sway you to do it yourself, how about a monkey installing a video card: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPQW0e9ufM

RGM79

I'm fairly certain 1.1 is fine. I came up with this build. My two questions are is my 430 watt power supply sufficient for this, and SSD and a 7200 rpm hard drive?

Also, is the video card bump from a Radeon 3850 to a R7 240 a significant enough bump?

IB0zUYD.png

The R7 240 is a low end GPU. I'll admit that I'm not well versed on video production, and I know you're on a tight budget, but it doesn't seem like it'd be a decent upgrade. That said, your power supply will handle it just fine.

Right now my biggest hurdle for newer games is the CPU I'm noticing. The currents were both purchased back in 2011 and they've lasted me until now.

Replacing the following

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8GHz Quad-Core, 2
Motherboard - Asus M4A79XTD EVO ATX AM3, 2

with

CPU - AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor, 2
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard, 2

Would this jump be future proofing myself to a degree? Should I be looking to go higher? This would put me below $300 which is what I'm okay with for the moment.

The goal is to build something that stops me from picking up a PS4/XBO and to balance out my Wii U as far as gaming goes. I'd also like to try my hand at some video editing and maybe streaming if possible and I feel I'll need more power then what my current build can handle.
Thanks.

I'd recommend going with Intel for performance in games. For $300 you can pick up these parts:

Intel i5-4430
Asrock H97 Pro4
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Optional, but nice.

I can't deny that for video production, the FX-8350 has some higher performance due to the better multiple cores, though

Iacobellis

I seem to be having issues with getting my motherboard to sit flush with the I/O shield. It's a GIGABYTE Z87X-UD5-TH.

At first I thought it was the foam padding, but now I think it might be the tabs above the Thunderbolt ports. How can I fix this? I'm trying to get my first personal build as perfect as possible.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Crank that shit up bruh
You want that shirt? I think I have like 3 of them.
I seem to be having issues with getting my motherboard to sit flush with the I/O shield. It's a GIGABYTE Z87X-UD5-TH.

At first I thought it was the foam padding, but now I think it might be the tabs above the Thunderbolt ports. How can I fix this? I'm trying to get my first personal build as perfect as possible.
Bend the tabs each a small amount and try to refit. Check the small USB ones the most as they can be jerks.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I spent the past 30 minutes trying to figure out how to take off the side panel of the Silverstone PS10B and I have no idea how to do this. Not a good start to my first PC building experience. Do I just yank the panel off after I undo the thumbscrew? I don't want to break my case...

Edit: Lol I'm a moron, you pull it back then out.

I really hope Nvidia gets their downsampling working with Gsync. It sucks to gain the benefits of GSync but then lose the ability to do quick and easy downsampling.

Excuse me guys, I'm hoping someone in here might be able to help me out, and I wasn't sure what thread to ask this in, but I'm having a minor issue with games that is frustrating.

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1, I purchased it, so there's no piracy going on here, and it's up to date as far as I know now. Been keeping my graphics card drivers up to date to. Anyway, what my problem is ever since I upgraded to 8.1, any game I play seems to suffer from screen tearing, even when I have v-sync on. I do not believe this is a hardware related issue, because games I played with the same hardware while I still had Windows 7, did not suffer this problem.

As an example, before I upgraded, I was in the middle of playing through Alien Isolation, and it ran beautifully with no tearing while I was still on Win 7. I upgraded to Windows 8.1, reinstalled Alien Isolation to continue the game, and this too was a game that I seemed now have screen tearing even with v-sync on. This happens in almost all games now, and again I know this was not an issue before going to 8.1 on several of these titles.

I don't know what kind of specs you'd like to know, but I'm currently running a GTX 760 2gb video card, with the latest drivers install. core i5 cpu, 8gbs of system ram...

Any suggestions on how I might fix this would be greatly appreciated.

M.Bluth

I'm sure this has been asked before, but this thread is gigantic and search isn't helpful.

Anyway, I've been thinking about upgrading my GPU. I currently have an MSI GTX 660 ti OC 3GB, which is still very usable, but I want a better performing card.
Thing is, I don't know what's the best way to get rid of that 660. I wanna sell it, since I feel like it's still worth something (first time I upgrade while my current gpu is usable), but I have no idea where I can get the best deal.

I thought about eBay, but I feel like I can easily get screwed over on that.

Any ideas?

Chris R

So I'm having an issue in certain games. It looks like screen tearing/vsync issues with a tear appearing across the entire length of the screen at various heights. I've tried vsync on/off ingame and global via nVidia control panel, tried adaptive vsync, triple buffering, ect.

Nothing seems to fix this issue. It's most notable in games like Borderlands 2 and Skyrim. I tried tonight to grab some video via shadow play, but when I play the video back it looks perfectly fine... Any idea on what it might be or the best way to capture it so I could upload it to Youtube or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom