• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

Thanks for the clear answer. The markup in my local store for the 850 is around $75 so I think I'm gonna go with the 840. My first SSD!
Actually, now that you mention the $75 difference, I went back to your first post and it turns out you were talking about the 840 Evo compared to the 850 Pro. Sorry, somehow I misread that and thought you were referring to the 840 Pro.

Not that it'll change your decision to get the 840 Evo. That's an outstanding SSD for the value.

There's a bigger performance gap between the 850 Pro and the 840 Evo, but unless you're looking for maximum performance, there's still no reason to go for the 850 Pro.

Enjoy your SSD.

RGM79

Hey guys, I'm in need of a little advice.
Basically my rigs currently is made up of:

Intel 4670 (not K)3.4 GHz
8 GB RAM
EVGA 760 GTX

Now, I'm considering buying a 970 GTX but the thing is, I'm not sure if I should buy one now or wait until the next series.

I'm going to be gaming at 1080p, I'm willing to turn down settings to get 60 FPS, I'll even lock it to 30 if 60's not possible. Is it really worth getting a 970 now or is it worth waiting until the next series to get the best value I can get there?
Are you feeling like the 760 isn't enough? The 970 will capably tackle 1080p gaming. New graphics cards like the 960 is still a few months away (next year at least) , and AMD's flagship 390/390X is even farther out.

In terms of value, you can either go for the GTX 970, or consider the Radeon 290/290X which were recently reduced in price to compete with the 970, depending on how much you can get them for.

I think the 970 is a better bet than getting a 290X. Newer, more efficient, hard to go wrong.

Are you feeling like the 760 isn't enough? The 970 will capably tackle 1080p gaming. New graphics cards like the 960 is still a few months away (next year at least) , and AMD's flagship 390/390X is even farther out.

In terms of value, you can either go for the GTX 970, or consider the Radeon 290/290X which were recently reduced in price to compete with the 970, depending on how much you can get them for.

I think the 970 is a better bet than getting a 290X. Newer, more efficient, hard to go wrong.
The 760 is doing fine for now, what's really killing me is the 2GB of VRAM I have, and the fact that games are starting to come out which will challenge that 2GB (I'm usually willing to sacrifice on effects, not so much on textures).

I guess my question is that is the 970 really THAT good value that I should get it now or is it still the better option in terms of future proofing to wait for the next series?

LilJoka

The 760 is doing fine for now, what's really killing me is the 2GB of VRAM I have, and the fact that games are starting to come out which will challenge that 2GB (I'm usually willing to sacrifice on effects, not so much on textures).

I guess my question is that is the 970 really THAT good value that I should get it now or is it still the better option in terms of future proofing to wait for the next series?

When the VRAM becomes a problem then upgrade, no point in upgrading if you yourself are having no problems yet. It is never a good idea to try to future proof in this scenario.

RGM79

Well, 8GB versions of the GTX 970 are due out by the end of this year. A large difference in overall performance won't be expected, but they'll be able to handle high quality textures better than the current 4GB models. Of course, they will cost a bit more, but how much and when exactly is not known yet.

On the other hand, 8GB versions of the R9 290X have started to become available, but aren't widespread yet. It will probably take a couple of weeks for stock to be available.

When the VRAM becomes a problem then upgrade, no point in upgrading if you yourself are having no problems yet. It is never a good idea to try to future proof in this scenario.

Hmm, you make a good point. I guess it'll be best to just wait for the new series, once games that are demanding enough to warrant an upgrade have also come out (or start coming out).

Well, 8GB versions of the GTX 970 are due out by the end of this year. A large difference in overall performance won't be expected, but they'll be able to handle high quality textures better than the current 4GB models. Of course, they will cost a bit more, but how much and when exactly is not known yet.

I've heard that 8 GB versions are going to cost a lot more (I remember reading about a GAF thread for a card, can't remember which, whose 8 GB variant had a massive increase in price)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I built my first ever PC and, miracle of all miracles, the damn thing actually turns on (well, after I fiddled with the RAM and realized I hadn't seated it properly). Now my problem is I can't figure out how to install Windows off my USB stick. I created a boot drive on the USB using Boot Camp Assistant on my MacBook, but my computer keeps asking me to "insert boot disk." Not really sure what I'm missing here.

Any tips?

Reposting for a new page. Anyone? I did set the boot order in BIOS but I'm still not getting it to read the USB as a boot drive.

Are there any cons to using a laptop SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 250GB) in a desktop PC?

Edit: seems that they're identical just come with a different "kit"? Gosh i feel like such a noob

ref

Finally decided on a monitor! :D
Just went and ordered myself this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LGE29SK/

Should be here tomorrow, cannot wait!

Fantastic monitor, however if you're sensitive to input lag, may be an issue. I was coming from a Samsung BX2440 and I found the input lag to be too noticeable and had to return it, which is a shame because the monitor was GREAT aside from that.

I ended up getting a Swift and to me I can't tell the difference in color quality (IPS vs TN), so if the input lag is an issue, I'd say look into the Swift barring you're willing to pay that much for a monitor!

RGM79

Are there any cons to using a laptop SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 250GB) in a desktop PC?

Edit: seems that they're identical just come with a different "kit"? Gosh i like such a noob
Given the small size of memory chips, 3.5" SSDs aren't really a thing. They are all 2.5“ laptop drive sized.

Thoughts on the below? Mostly for gaming.

Motherboard always has me confused, so advice there would be appreciated.
Also thinking to swap CPU for i5 instead and HDD to 2TB.

An extra fan will probably be needed too.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£238.74 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.82 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£139.98 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£133.91 @ More Computers)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£93.93 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£163.14 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£267.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case (£84.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£74.09 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (£54.95 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1275.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-12 15:32 GMT+0000

ricki42

Edit: seems that they're identical just come with a different "kit"? Gosh i like such a noob

If your case came with SATA cables and screws, you don't need any kit at all, just get the drive (SKU ends in 'BW').

Scrappy

Neo Member

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.82 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£133.91 @ More Computers)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£163.14 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£267.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case (£84.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£74.09 @ Amazon UK)

I'd definitely get a 2TB tbh. Not sure about the CPU though. I-5 have absolutely no trouble running games at this generation. An i-7 is nice and all, but I wouldn't personally spend the extra money if you're just gaming. Someone with a bit more knowledge may be able to chip in here.

As a side note : That 970 is the one I have and is absolutely amazing.

Given the small size of memory chips, 3.5" SSDs aren't really a thing. They are all 2.5“ laptop drive sized.

Yeah I realized that afterwards. I was also puzzled by mSATA drives earlier today.

If your case came with SATA cables and screws, you don't need any kit at all, just get the drive (SKU ends in 'BW').

The store only had one in stock and it was "the laptop kit" bundle, which was what threw me off. I ended up buying it, along with a 3TB USB3 drive. And said goodbye to my MSI 970 with the faulty fans :,(

RGM79

Some are saying i7s are.not worth it for gaming. But i saw a vid showing.unity running at 60 fps with a 4690k
Quality settings? Resolution? Graphics card? There's more to consider than just "it must require i7"

Just looking through the Unity PC performance thread, someone is getting 60fps with an overclocked i5 2500k and GTX 980, on maximum settings for everything except for shadows set to high.. At 1440p.

ricki42

All I know about PCs I learned from this thread, so I'll just quote LilJoka from a few pages back since this seems to be the same PSU range:

EVGA is a very dodgy PSU supplier, supplying very good units and really borderline units. NEX Range is really somthing id never let touch my components, and you are really buying a top range rig, no idea why you are skimping, a PSU failure can take down a whole rig - As in destroy a lot of components.

So i highly recommend you go with the Supernova G2 750W

I have the Supernova G2 750W myself, and I'm quite happy with it so far.

roytheone

Hello again PC gaf,

I just added more RAM to my pc and after some "why the fuck doesn't my pc boot anymore?" moments (it was because I didn't push the sticks into the slots hard enough) everything seems to be working fine. However, whenever I try to play advanced warfare, I get either a BSOD or my pc reboots after around 10 minutes of play. I also tried XCOM and dark souls 2, and those games still work perfectly fine. Is this a problem with my new RAM, or is AW just an unstable game?

Hello again PC gaf,

I just added more RAM to my pc and after some "why the fuck doesn't my pc boot anymore?" moments (it was because I didn't push the sticks into the slots hard enough) everything seems to be working fine. However, whenever I try to play advanced warfare, I get either a BSOD or my pc reboots after around 10 minutes of play. I also tried XCOM and dark souls 2, and those games still work perfectly fine. Is this a problem with my new RAM, or is AW just an unstable game?
Try it without the new RAM, and see if the problem still pops up. Then try it without the old RAM to see if there's still a problem. That should help narrow it down.

BrettWeir

I guess my bigger question is, what are the drawbacks of a smaller form factor build? I'm particularly worried about heat, is this more of an issue with a smaller build?

I was running the following in a SilverStone Sugo SG10 and had zero heating issues.
Asus Z87 Gryphon
4670K on the stock heatsink
16 GB DDR3
XFX R9 280X
PNY 256GB SSD
3 TB WD HDD
Corsair TX750

I wanted to upgrade to a better CPU cooler so I could overclock. I also wanted an internal BD/DVD writer and media reader. Those were the biggest drawbacks for me. I hated not having a way to import CD's, burn DVD's, etc outside of an external solution. Same with a memory card reader. I could have got a laptop slim DVD drive, but didn't find the functionality I wanted, so I upgraded the case, etc.

The Sugo SG10 will be transformed into an HTPC later down the road.

roytheone

Try it without the new RAM, and see if the problem still pops up. Then try it without the old RAM to see if there's still a problem. That should help narrow it down.

Unfortunately, I can't access my desktop now, but I will do this as soon as I can. Also, I just looked at the website of my motherboard manufacturer, and apparently there is a recent BIOS update that "improves memory compatibility", so I will try that first.

LilJoka

Heres how id do it

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£106.19 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£120.20 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£75.54 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£267.99 @ Amazon UK) - Its actually £286, scan have it for £272 on their today only page.
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£80.00 @ Scan)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (£54.23 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Hitachi 4TB 7200rpm (£147.00 @ scan) 0 This was £120 a few months back!
Total: £1198.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-12 18:00 GMT+0000

Why a blu ray RW?
And are you wanting to SLI?

Hey guys I was wondering about your opinion/criticism of this build my friend picked out for me
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Pq7ZGX
I am rather new to this so I just want to know
CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor

After market cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive + Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

GPU: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II Video Card

Case:
Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Monitor:
Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor
My budget is $1300 (with the screen included but not the keyboard and mouse,etc)

Thank you

LilJoka

Hey guys I was wondering about your opinion/criticism of this build my friend picked out for me
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Pq7ZGX
I am rather new to this so I just want to know

My budget is $1300 (with the screen included but not the keyboard and mouse,etc)

Thank you

No idea what that monitor is like, but heres an Intel alternative for just under $1300.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.98 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.89 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($299.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($91.09 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($174.95 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1274.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-12 13:29 EST-0500

Jeramii

Banned
Tiger Direct is amazing!

I bought my Asus Strix 970 near the end of October, and received my card the day before the Choose Your Path program began. I contacted chat support, and the representative named Aristotle told me that he'd personally send me an email with a code as soon as he can get one.

I got that email this morning. Seriously, they could have just as well told me I was not eligible. Woo!

LilJoka

Tiger Direct is amazing!

I bought my Asus Strix 970 near the end of October, and received my card the day before the Choose Your Path program began. I contacted chat support, and the representative named Aristotle told me that he'd personally send me an email with a code as soon as he can get one.

I got that email this morning. Seriously, they could have just as well told me I was not eligible. Woo!

I think its a fake.

I called scan.co.uk, i got my 970 a week after the promo. They said they need to check if im eligible, put me on hold for a few mins, then came back and said they will sort it.

So i told my friend, he got his card around a month before the promo, he emailed them, got the exact same automated reply. The reply said they would do it out of their own pocket. Lol when you look at that, they are getting codes for free for certain. Then they asked us to like them on facebook. 99% trying to get more reviews etc.

Jeramii

Banned
I think its a fake.

I called scan.co.uk, i got my 970 a week after the promo. They said they need to check if im eligible, put me on hold for a few mins, then came back and said they will sort it.

So i told my friend, he got his card around a month before the promo, he emailed them, got the exact same automated reply. The reply said they would do it out of their own pocket. Lol when you look at that, they are getting codes for free for certain. Then they asked us to like them on facebook. 99% trying to get more reviews etc.

My Fiancee and I both ordered GTX 970's. We both spoke to different reps, and they both said similar but different things. And the email I got was from the employees own work email. My fiancee still hasn't gotten her code, but I'm sure it'll be here soon. The email simply said "Hey Jeremy, as promised. Here is your code, and here is how you redeem it. Please email me if you have any questions."

and now I've got this:

farcry.jpg

also. they did send me the actual promo code for nVidia. The point is, I didn't purchase after Nov 4th which is what nVidia said you have to do to for sure be eligible. So I'm just super happy they did it anyway.

AppleMIX

I'm thinking of getting an 970 soon. I have a 660 watt power supply and according to the specs it needs145 watts. I'm I just crazy or is that super low? How many watts does your system take up sans video card?

kennah

Reposting for a new page. Anyone? I did set the boot order in BIOS but I'm still not getting it to read the USB as a boot drive.

I'm thinking of getting an 970 soon. I have a 660 watt power supply and according to the specs it needs145 watts. I'm I just crazy or is that super low? How many watts does your system take up sans video card?

660W is fine.

There's been HUGE strides in power efficiency the last few years. 660W is lots for any single GPU setup.

LilJoka

What PSU have you got exactly? 970s peak at about 220W.

Jeramii

Banned

145 sounds about right. my 970 uses less power than my GTX 570 did. requires only one 8 pin, and my old one required 8+6.

orochi91

I keep on seeing posts about that intel i7

what is so good about it compared to something like AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor?

8 individual weak core performance vs 4 amazing high performance cores.

For what it's worth, FX-8350 is a good processor, but weak for my needs which is emulating older games due to weak single core performance.

okay.... so what would happen if I replaced my CPU with the i7

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor

After market cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive + Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

GPU: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II Video Card

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor

or would this set up be from a fellow Gaffer be better then the one above
No idea what that monitor is like, but heres an Intel alternative for just under $1300.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.98 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.89 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($299.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($91.09 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($174.95 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1274.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-12 13:29 EST-0500

which would be more bang for my buck (I'd like to run the latest games and also emulate some games)

orochi91

which would be more bang for my buck (I'd like to run the latest games and also emulate some games)

Bang for your buck would be an 8350.

When overclocked sufficiently it performs as well as the i5.

If money is not an issue though, go for the i5.

knitoe

For gaming, go Intel. And, bang for the buck, i5. i7 if you need HT.

Bang for your buck would be an 8350.

When overclocked sufficiently it performs as well as the i5.

If money is not an issue though, go for the i5.
For gaming, go Intel. And, bang for the buck, i5. i7 if you need HT.

sorry for so many questions but is the i5 better for high end gaming and emulation then the i7?

should I just go with LilJoka's set up then or could I still use the other setup but switch out the CPU?

thank you guys for the help

kennah

sorry for so many questions but is the i5 better for high end gaming and emulation then the i7?

should I just go with LilJoka's set up then or could I still use the other setup but switch out the CPU?

in single threaded (i.e. most games) then then i5 performs just as well as the i7 (basically). But there is the chance and trend that games will start using more cores, where the i7 pulls ahead of the i5. Basically if you have the cash go ahead and get the i7. If not, then get the i5. Or if money is super tight, get the Anniversary Pentium for $80 and upgrade it later. (All of these chips easily overlock to 4.2-4.5Ghz)

orochi91

Seems like the i7 5820K activity a month ago was more us early adopters that wanted to get our hands on Haswell-E and ddr4 right away, but then it returned to the norm/

I was turned off by the 5820k for a few reasons:

-It seems like the lowest binned in the Haswell-E line.
-X99 platform and DDR4 are shockingly expensive.
-Minimal gains in performance vs i7-4790k.

If money is not an issue then, yes I would recommend an i7 (a bit of an overkill).

i5 is good too for both emulation and gaming.

8350 is good for gaming, but terrible at emulation.

fantomena

So Ive been using my Intel Core i7 2600 3,4 GHz processor since forever and according to the newer game releases so far (escpecially due to Witcher 3 and Star Citizen) im looking to upgrade and buy a new processor during christmas this year.

I have zero knowledge in the "processor market" and I have no idea what is considered the best processor other than that I want to continue to use Intel.

So I would be greatful if anyone with more knowledge than me could tip me about a good processor.

My price range goes from about 300$-600$.

Like are one of these recommended?

https://www.komplett.no/intel-core-i7-4790k/817261
https://www.komplett.no/intel-core-i7-5820k-socket-lga2011-3/822371

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom