• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjay

The reality after the honeymoon period ends :p

The good thing with GPUs is that they hold their value and are easy to re sale. You won't have any issues moving the 970.

Speaking of:-

3GB ZOTAC GTX780 AMP Edition bought on 03/11/2013 for £378.00

Sold yesterday for £269.99 on Ebay.

Bought a gtx 980 for £320, Amazon mis-price but they honoured it.

IN THE MONEY!

Smokey

Was going to get 2 980's but I think I'm going to go with 3 970's.

Should be a top end rig.

Should I tell you about my experience with my 3 Titans or let you live out the dream? Because if it's the latter that's fine and is exciting :)

Yeah, just saw that. I can reuse the ram I have then at least.

Anyone with a reason not to get the Rosewill 1000m modular power supply? If not I'll start collecting the pieces to my PC.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16817182285&cm_sp=

Depends what the rest of your system looks like and your plans.

Unless you plan on having 3+ GPUs and a Intel Enthusiast proc (X79/X99 platform), I'd say you won't need 1000w.

So I've decided to swap out my TV with a monitor for gaming purposes. Can anyone recommend a good 27 inch-1080p monitor with HDMI, DVI, and built in speakers? I know that's pretty specific, but any help is appreciated!

Smokey

Speak your mind, friend.

Ok

You may be coming at it the same way I did. 3 GPUs is something I've wanted to try for some time and I decided to go for it. From my short experience, there aren't many games engines that take advantage of the 3rd card. Off the top of my head Tomb Raider scales well and so does CryEngine (at least on C3).

There is also heat that you need to take into consideration. My setup is 4930k (4.3ghz) with 3 Titan Blacks in an Air 540 case. I haven't seen the full spec list for your machine, but I know that you want to go X99. I'd highly suggest doing this on water. On air I am limited by the throttling that kicks in at 80c. You can imagine that the cards reach those temps fairly quickly. I haven't gone water because that would require a new case and blocks. Not interested in investing in that especially since my Titans are now a generation old. And I'm scared of water :x

Nvidia has been slipping lately on SLI profiles for newer releases. There is a multi page thread on geforce.com complaining about the problem. The response from Nvidia seems to be that it's an engine issue with some newer titles and Nvidia does what it can, but that doesn't make me feel any better when I have thousands of dollars of your hardware in my machine.

I wouldn't bother with 3 GPUs unless you are gaming at 4k or it's just something you are curious about. When games can take advantage of all 3 GPUs it is amazing, but those seem to be few and far between.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ok

You may be coming at it the same way I did. 3 GPUs is something I've wanted to try for some time and I decided to go for it. From my short experience, there aren't many games engines that take advantage of the 3rd card. Off the top of my head Tomb Raider scales well and so does CryEngine (at least on C3).

There is also heat that you need to take into consideration. My setup is 4930k (4.3ghz) with 3 Titan Blacks in an Air 540 case. I haven't seen the full spec list for your machine, but I know that you want to go X99. I'd highly suggest doing this on water. On air I am limited by the throttling that kicks in at 80c. You can imagine that the cards reach those temps fairly quickly. I haven't gone water because that would require a new case and blocks. Not interested in investing in that especially since my Titans are now a generation old. And I'm scared of water :x

Nvidia has been slipping lately on SLI profiles for newer releases. There is a multi page thread on geforce.com complaining about the problem. The response from Nvidia seems to be that it's an engine issue with some newer titles and Nvidia does what it can, but that doesn't make me feel any better when I have thousands of dollars of your hardware in my machine.

I wouldn't bother with 3 GPUs unless you are gaming at 4k or it's just something you are curious about. When games can take advantage of all 3 GPUs it is amazing, but those seem to be few and far between.
Thinning about this more I'm going either 2 980's or a 295x.

Any Gaffers with a 295x?

Smokey

Thinning about this more I'm going either 2 980's or a 295x.

Any Gaffers with a 295x?

I think this would be a better option for you. Between the two options listed. I'd go with 2x 980s. Use the funds you were going to put on the third GPU towards a Gsync panel (ROG Swift or Acer 4K).

LiquidMetal14

I think this would be a better option for you. Between the two options listed. I'd go with 2x 980s. Use the funds you were going to put on the third GPU towards a Gsync panel (ROG Swift or Acer 4K).
Care to link me with those? On mobile currently.

appaws

Banned
Looking for a machine that plays games like Unity or Witcher 3 at 1080p/30 (max settings for lighting, detail and AO, decent AA and no need for ultra textures).

Looking at spending sub 1000€ and would like something small and not too loud. Actually the Alienware Alphas look nice, but all configurations come with only 2GB of video RAM, is that enough to be more or less able to play PS4 level games for the next 5 years with just better IQ and some extra detail/lighting quality?

What about an SSD? I think I rather go for a TB SSD instead of some combo, does that make sense? Will gladly lift price limit another 200€ if it does.

You should be able to build a nice small form factor build for that much money. Is that pounds...? or Euros...?

Read through the OP and look at MKenyon's small form factor build sheets. Fill out the little info sheet and repost it here, then we can give you more specific advice.

Oh, and yes...going for a TB SSD would be great, so kick in a little extra scratch for that.

Should I tell you about my experience with my 3 Titans or let you live out the dream? Because if it's the latter that's fine and is exciting :)

Depends what the rest of your system looks like and your plans.

Unless you plan on having 3+ GPUs and a Intel Enthusiast proc (X79/X99 platform), I'd say you won't need 1000w.

They also have a 750w for $60

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4&cm_re=capstone_750m-_-17-182-264-_-ProductI

I just want to future proof as much as I can. I sometimes do SLI but that's it.

garath

well I've decided that I'm grabbing a SSD if there's a good enough black friday sale for one. I really don't want anything smaller than a 512 if I can manage it. Too many games lately are hitting the 50gig mark.

The insta buy price is $150 for a 512. I've seen the MX100 go for as little as 188 so I think it's doable.

I also highly recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for $30. It'll be worth it to keep the CPU running at lower temperatures, and is a great improvement over the stock fan, even if you don't overclock.

Do you really need the sound card? Onboard sound is usually enough for most people. That $29 headset probably won't sound that much different with the sound card instead of onboard sound.

And as appaws said, the NZXT case you chose cannot have an optical drive installed, switch to something else if you need the optical drive. How about the Corsair 200R?

If you change some stuff around and try to save a bit, you should be able to get a GTX 970 into that $1500 build. Better, newer, and more energy efficient.
You have the CPU listed twice. Remove one of them and go for a 970 over the 290.
1. People think they need an optical drive just because they have always had one....they don't. Nobody buys anything on CDs anymore....the only exception I can think of to this is putting a blu-ray player in an HTPC. It turns out to be a waste of space...that is why a forward thinking case design like the S340 does not even support optical drives.

2. I don't know anything about that XFX power supply. It is not one of the ones generally recommended here...I am not saying it is good or bad from personal experience. JonnyGuru thinks it is OK, but I notice that it has all built-in wires, none of them modular. I hate that. I would look for at least semi-modular.

3. Overclocking. Yes you should. First, it is easy free performance...a few clicks to get a big performance boost. Second, you are buying an unlocked i5 part and a motherboard that allows overclocking...that is the whole point. Finally, the thing about reducing the life of your components. Let's say it reduces the life of your CPU by a certain percentage. (I'm making this up) Like 30%...just as an example. So Intel makes a CPU that has an average life of 10 years....yours would live an average of 7 years. That CPU will long be on the trash pile 7 years from now anyway. So it makes no practical difference in longevity. Look at all the posters here...nearly everyone is running a 24/7 stable overclock... As a gamer you can't pass up on that performance.

4. Someone suggested the 970 instead of the 290. I think he is probably right. I always suggest AMD at lower price ranges....but as you approach the $300 dollar range, I think the 970 becomes the best choice.

Thanks for the info! So like you guys said, I decided to take out the sound card and optical drive out since I don't need either of them any time soon. I accidenantly put down a duplicate CPU so I took that out, and I realized my headphones cost 79.99 instead of 29.99.

I change the power supply to SeaSonic M12II 520 (EVO) since it's a semi modular, I'm not sure of the difference but if it's easier/better to move around I'll use that.

I added a CPU cooler, the one you guys suggested. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler.

I also change the GPU to the 970. Your point makes sense, but I'm still not sure if I'm going to overclock it because I don't want to use too much power, maybe down the line I'll change my mind.

The price is a hundred dollars over my budget, it's not too bad. However, I'm hoping there will be a sale for RAM, so I can lower down the price just a bit.

appaws

Banned
Thanks for the info! So like you guys said, I decided to take out the sound card and optical drive out since I don't need either of them any time soon. I accidenantly put down a duplicate CPU so I took that out, and I realized my headphones cost 79.99 instead of 29.99.

I change the power supply to SeaSonic M12II 520 (EVO) since it's a semi modular, I'm not sure of the difference but if it's easier/better to move around I'll use that.

I added a CPU cooler, the one you guys suggested. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler.

I also change the GPU to the 970. Your point makes sense, but I'm still not sure if I'm going to overclock it because I don't want to use too much power, maybe down the line I'll change my mind.

The price is a hundred dollars over my budget, it's not too bad. However, I'm hoping there will be a sale for RAM, so I can lower down the price just a bit.

With power supplies, a modular power supply does not have all the cables all hard-wired in. You only put in the ones you are using. This saves space and makes it easier to do cable management, etc. A non-modular power supply has all the wires pre-attached, and even if you don't use them there is no way to take them off, so it wastes a lot of room and you have unused cables laying around.

You could also change the RAM. Do you need 16gb of that high-speed stuff for any particular reason...? If this is a gaming build primarily, I would switch that out for 8gb of low-profile 1600 or 1866 RAM/1.5v. That will save you almost $100. Something like this would be fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231546&ignorebbr=1

Hey pcGAF. So basically this is what i'm looking at so far. at 875 that seems like a good a pretty good deal to me. The parts list kind of confused me. I think 875 is about as low as I can go using the best value template.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($108.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($86.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($201.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N53 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $875.90

Costia

Due to AC:Unity and FC4 it looks like it's time for me to upgrade.

I am curently with:
750 I5 CPU
560 TI OC GPU
12GB DDR3

My current plan is to do it in 2 stages:
1) NVIDIA 960, when it comes out (~hopefully within 2 months)
2) CPU+MOBO+RAM when ddr4 support comes to normal cpus/mobo's (~within a year)

Any suggestions/recommendations?
What's the performance difference between the nvidia 9xx and 7xx cards? (780 vs 980, 770 vs 970 etc.) maybe there is no point in waiting for the 960?
Basically I can still wait. I have a large enough on my steam library to last me for quite a while with my current setup.

The Llama

Due to AC:Unity and FC4 it looks like it's time for me to upgrade.

I am curently with:
750 I5 CPU
560 TI OC GPU
12GB DDR3

My current plan is to do it in 2 stages:
1) NVIDIA 960, when it comes out (~hopefully within 2 months)
2) CPU+MOBO+RAM when ddr4 support comes to normal cpus/mobo's (~within a year)

Any suggestions/recommendations?
What's the performance difference between the nvidia 9xx and 7xx cards? (780 vs 980, 770 vs 970 etc.) maybe there is no point in waiting for the 960?
Basically I can still wait. I have a large enough on my steam library to last me for quite a while with my current setup.

Any particular reason you're waiting for DDR4? It's not really any better in terms of performance than DDR3 (RAM speed in general is pretty irrelevant for most usage).

LiquidMetal14

Alright, here is what I've narrowed in on with the upcoming Haswell-E build.

CPU - 5930k (529.99)
GPU - 2x980gtx (1099.99)
Motherboard - Asus x99 Pro (329.99)
Memory - 16GB GSKILL 2800 4x4kit (329.99)
PSU - Corsair ax1200i Platinum 1200w (309.99)
Case - Corsair 780t (179.99)
Cooler - h100i (99-109.99)
SSD - Crucial MX100 (209.99)
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1tb (68.99)

Tentative but nearly final.

One thing of note, I'm selling my current rig for 1415 so that will offset a good chunk of my cost for the new rig.

Right off the bat I want opinions but mainly on the PSU and case. The HDD is merely to replace a media drive in selling with my 3930k build. The case, I will entertain some advice.

The thing is when I had my 500r case, I could not do push pull when I put a h100i on the top. I can only do push basically and I wanted to have better cooling so I couldn't do push pull unfortunately. I called Corsair and had a discussion with them about this and not only do I like the look of that 789t but it will accommodate 120, 240, and 380 millimeter rads.

Honestly, after building 3 consecutive enthusiast rigs, the only real cost hog is the new DDR4.

Costia

Any particular reason you're waiting for DDR4? It's not really any better in terms of performance than DDR3 (RAM speed in general is pretty irrelevant for most usage).

I assume its going to be a socket type change for the cpu as well. Also, I want it to last a while, so if DDR4 is going to be the most common/cheap memory type available in a few years I don't want to go hunting for DDR3 to upgrade.
In other words, i guess its going to be quite a big change (at least as far as physical interfaces go) and i rather be on the "new" side of it.
Edit: Also, so far I haven't seen a reason to upgrade my cpu/mobo/ram. the only game that maxed it so far was minecraft with shaders. So might as well wait for a while.

ricki42

Here's a build with a GTX 970, assumed you didn't want to overclock since I didn't see a CPU cooler.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c97bcf

I think s/he's probably better off with the unlocked processor if s/he can at all afford it. Can still add a cooler later.
But either way, your build has a mATX board in an ATX mid tower; works, but might as well go with an ATX mobo for more slots (or a mATX case for small form factor depending on preference).
Also, I would go with a different PSU, people here have advised against the EVGA NEX series

just out of curiosity. I have a 1055t (6 core overclocked to 4.4 GHz) is it still good for gaming (haven't gamed in a while) or should I replace it with an i7 4790k? what do you guys think??

Mozendo said:
Here's a build with a GTX 970, assumed you didn't want to overclock since I didn't see a CPU cooler.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c97bcf

That is a much better video card. Wow that is a much better build in general. Correct in that I did not have any real intention of overclocking. I'm coming from last gen console so, I think I will be fine few extra fans(if possible).

ricki42 said:
I think s/he's probably better off with the unlocked processor if s/he can at all afford it. Can still add a cooler later.
But either way, your build has a mATX board in an ATX mid tower; works, but might as well go with an ATX mobo for more slots (or a mATX case for small form factor depending on preference).
Also, I would go with a different PSU, people here have advised against the EVGA NEX series

Noted. I will look into a different power supply. Also having more slots can be helpful but may go over my budget.

Alright, here is what I've narrowed in on with the upcoming Haswell-E build.

CPU - 5930k (529.99)
GPU - 2x980gtx (1099.99)
Motherboard - Asus x99 Pro (329.99)
Memory - 16GB GSKILL 2800 4x4kit (329.99)
PSU - Corsair ax1200i Platinum 1200w (309.99)
Case - Corsair 780t (179.99)
Cooler - h100i (99-109.99)
SSD - Crucial MX100 (209.99)
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1tb (68.99)

Tentative but nearly final.

One thing of note, I'm selling my current rig for 1415 so that will offset a good chunk of my cost for the new rig.

Right off the bat I want opinions but mainly on the PSU and case. The HDD is merely to replace a media drive in selling with my 3930k build. The case, I will entertain some advice.

The thing is when I had my 500r case, I could not do push pull when I put a h100i on the top. I can only do push basically and I wanted to have better cooling so I couldn't do push pull unfortunately. I called Corsair and had a discussion with them about this and not only do I like the look of that 789t but it will accommodate 120, 240, and 380 millimeter rads.

Honestly, after building 3 consecutive enthusiast rigs, the only real cost hog is the new DDR4.

What I would do:

- Get a cheaper PSU, 1300W is overkill. Maybe a solid 850W Seasonic.
- Go for the 5820K. Running SLi at 16/8 is practically the same as 16/16.
- Go for 970 SLI instead of 980. Better value and 970s are great at 2560 Gsync.
- The money saved above would basically buy you an ROG Swift :)P).

YMMV!

paskowitz

Just moved my Corsair H100i (water cooler) from the top of my Define R4 to the bottom (both in pull config). All temps have dropped by 3-5c at idle. CPU under load remains the same <55c. GPU temps also dropped under load by about 3-5c. A worth while change but...

damn is it a bitch to front mount a water cooler on the R4. Not only does the H100i barely reach, but there are only 4 (out of 8 on the radiator) mounting points that work. In addition, ALL the HDD cages must be removed. This is definitely something they need to address in an R5 and something you should be aware of when choosing a case.

LilJoka

Hm.. maybe I should get a cpu cooler now that I think about it. Just another fan.

Seems like you are speccing up a PC with future support for SLI, which i dont recommend btw, and using a motherboard that only supports XFire.

You need something like this for SLI

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($116.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($339.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 White ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $908.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-17 17:54 EST-0500

Forget that 750W EVGA NEX PSU.

Can anyone recommend a good 2-3tb hdd? Browsing Amazon and the WD colors still confound me - and I don't know which brands to even consider, I'd probably choose something at random based on reviews.

The Toshiba's are good, TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 & TOSHIBA DT01ACA300. Hitachi's drives really.

Can someone check out this build my friend set up so far? Looks good to me but admittedly I'm not as skilled at judging these (yet) as I'd like to be
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/paulie126/saved/LYHnTW

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($104.99 @ Directron)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($586.13 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($324.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $1982.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-17 18:05 EST-0500

SeaSonic G 650W if you arent going to SLI, and probably drop to an mATX if so.

LiquidMetal14

What I would do:

- Get a cheaper PSU, 1300W is overkill. Maybe a solid 850W Seasonic.
- Go for the 5820K. Running SLi at 16/8 is practically the same as 16/16.
- Go for 970 SLI instead of 980. Better value and 970s are great at 2560 Gsync.
- The money saved above would basically buy you an ROG Swift :)P).

YMMV!
The PSU needs to be more. I had major issues with my 3930k and 2 GPU's OC'd. Nu system would turn itself off due to inability to handle the load. I can budge and go down but 1000w is a minimum given this will be a long term rig which will see me through several GPU upgrades. I am debating on lowering the GPU's to 970's though. The CPU is going to stay for the OC'ing. After having a food OC'ing 6 core, I can't go backwards.

As far as G-sync monitors go, I have looked at a phillip, the Asus Swift, and this $600 Acer One. All of it is up for debate and it really depends on how much I want that monitor but I do have a gaming router in mind as well but that is a separate cost from this build.I'm going to probably go back and forth between the 970's and the 980's until it's time to pull the trigger.

I absolutely refuse to compromise on the power supply this time though. And that's the thing, I never compromised on this current bill because I have a platinum rated 850 watt PSU right now. I don't want to have to worry about down clocking components and pushing my rig higher and higher into the heating business with overclocking only to be denied the higher overclocks because my system can't handle the power draw.

As I said before, I have had all too much experience with this on the current rig that I'm going to sell and that power supply pulls almost 1000 Watts from the wall.

LilJoka

The PSU needs to be more. I had major issues with my 3930k and 2 GPU's OC'd. Nu system would turn itself off due to inability to handle the load. I can budge and go down but 1000w is a minimum given this will be a long term rig which will see me through several GPU upgrades. I am debating on lowering the GPU's to 970's though. The CPU is going to stay for the OC'ing. After having a food OC'ing 6 core, I can't go backwards.

As far as G-sync monitors go, I have looked at a phillip, the Asus Swift, and this $600 Acer One. All of it is up for debate and it really depends on how much I want that monitor but I do have a gaming router in mind as well but that is a separate cost from this build.I'm going to probably go back and forth between the 970's and the 980's until it's time to pull the trigger.

I absolutely refuse to compromise on the power supply this time though. And that's the thing, I never compromised on this current bill because I have a platinum rated 850 watt PSU right now. I don't want to have to worry about down clocking components and pushing my rig higher and higher into the heating business with overclocking only to be denied the higher overclocks because my system can't handle the power draw.

As I said before, I have had all too much experience with this on the current rate that I'm going to sell and that power supply poles almost 1000 Watts from the wall.

What model is your old PSU?

LilJoka

SeaSonic x850 platinum

I see, well its still odd. If your drawing 1000W from the wall thats close to the maximum the PSU can deliver.

Ive never had troubles with my 3960x @ 4.8Ghz on a 650W Corsair TX650 bronze rated PSU. Even with a GTX 780.

So its odd, if you get complete shutdown, maybe the SeaSonic is tripping, or maybe you didnt disable the Over Current protection in BIOS.

Anyways, for a dual GPU setup on a hexcore overclocked, id recommend a 1kW PSU. Since the CPU can take 300W, and GPUs each 300W as well. So 1kW minimum here.

You should do some reading on the AX1200i, its not all that great, some people have had issues like coil whine with it. A Seasonic maybe worth the bit extra here. Also check the SuperFlower PSUs.

LiquidMetal14

I see, well its still odd. If your drawing 1000W from the wall thats close to the maximum the PSU can deliver.

Ive never had troubles with my 3960x @ 4.8Ghz on a 650W Corsair TX650 bronze rated PSU. Even with a GTX 780.

So its odd, if you get complete shutdown, maybe the SeaSonic is tripping, or maybe you didnt disable the Over Current protection in BIOS.

Anyways, for a dual GPU setup on a hexcore overclocked, id recommend a 1kW PSU. Since the CPU can take 300W, and GPUs each 300W as well. So 1kW minimum here.

You should do some reading on the AX1200i, its not all that great, some people have had issues like coil whine with it. A Seasonic maybe worth the bit extra here.
I had 2 780ti's. Shoot me some suggestions on some power supplies. I will definitely look into this and to be honest with you I've only looked at a few anyways so I am all ears on 1kW PSU's.

As I said before, I have had all too much experience with this on the current rig that I'm going to sell and that power supply pulls almost 1000 Watts from the wall.
Bolded: you mean about the different base clocks (0.2ghz)? Or are the 5930s known to OC better?

And fair enough, didn't know you were going to do heavy OC'ing re: the PSU.

LiquidMetal14

The x1250 is perfect. And cheaper. I have a Seasonic now and it's solid. Thanks.
Bolded: you mean about the different base clocks (0.2ghz)? Or are the 5930s known to OC better?

And fair enough, didn't know you were going to do heavy OC'ing re: the PSU.
The main thing I'm thinking about is how much more the CPU draws when OC'd and having all the chassis fans and OC'd GPU's. It's more for peace of ming after getting killed with the 4.7ghz 1.365 vcore CPU and 2 OC'd 780ti's.

As for the food thing lol, I'm using google voice recognition to type out a lot of what I'm saying. FML or however Google decides to type that out for me. I'll be damn they got it right. On second thought they didn't I wanted to say well I'll be damned, it got it right.

Ggooogke¡!!!

The x1250 is perfect. And cheaper. I have a Season if now and it's solid. Thanks.

The main thing I'm thinking about is how much more the CPU draws when OC'd and having all the chassis fans and OC'd GPU's. It's more for peace of ming after getting killed with the 4.7ghz 1.365 vcore CPU and 2 OC'd 780ti's.

Fair 'nuff. What about the 5930 thing?

LiquidMetal14

Fair 'nuff. What about the 5930 thing?
I don't really know yet because you know, the whole chip lottery thing. I've had fortune to have very good overclocking CPUs in the last 3 builds I have done. I have had very little issue getting them over 4.7 GHz.

I really haven't dug deep and started to read a ton about all the little settings and stuff like I did in this early with my Sandy Bridge E but I will be doing that as I get closer and closer to when I build the rig.

Salaadin

Anyone know of a decent place to buy spare case parts from? Specifically the fractal define r4.

I just busted up my headphone jack and need to replace it. I contacted fractal but they can take 2 days to get back to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom