• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
just out of curiosity. I have a 1055t (6 core overclocked to 4.4 GHz) is it still good for gaming (haven't gamed in a while) or should I replace it with an i7 4790k? what do you guys think??

Passable if you want to make minimal investment and don't aim for constant 60 fps.

Otherwise replace it ASAP.

RGM79

Just moved my Corsair H100i (water cooler) from the top of my Define R4 to the bottom (both in pull config). All temps have dropped by 3-5c at idle. CPU under load remains the same <55c. GPU temps also dropped under load by about 3-5c. A worth while change but...

damn is it a bitch to front mount a water cooler on the R4. Not only does the H100i barely reach, but there are only 4 (out of 8 on the radiator) mounting points that work. In addition, ALL the HDD cages must be removed. This is definitely something they need to address in an R5 and something you should be aware of when choosing a case.

Actually, the R5 will have improved support for water cooling radiators thanks to modular removable 5.25"/3.5"cages. Looks like it'll even be able to accommodate 360mm radiators at the top of the case.

003317121.jpg

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/245142-fractal-design-define-r5-case/page-3#entry3436377

Smokey

I had 2 780ti's. Shoot me some suggestions on some power supplies. I will definitely look into this and to be honest with you I've only looked at a few anyways so I am all ears on 1kW PSU's.

I have the EVGA SuperNova 1300w G2. Super solid PSU. It's made by SuperFlower and comes with a 10 year warranty. And as you probably know EVGA has the best customer service in the industry and has reviewed extremely well. It's also cheaper than the Seasonic.

People keep sleeping on EVGA's new line of PSUs.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have the EVGA SuperNova 1300w G2. Super solid PSU. It's made by SuperFlower and comes with a 10 year warranty. And as you probably know EVGA has the best customer service in the industry and has reviewed extremely well. It's also cheaper than the Seasonic.

People keep sleeping on EVGA's new line of PSUs.
Done. I was looking at those SuperFlower PSU's but they look like they weren't available in the states. And that's even cheaper than the Seasonic posted earlier. Slightly more savings are good with me.

Smokey

Done. I was looking at those SuperFlower PSU's but they look like they weren't available in the states. And that's even cheaper than the Seasonic posted earlier. Slightly more savings are good with me.

You can also get individually sleeved color cables if you want. They offer Red, Blue, and White. Here is mine:

14228960127_9c7b5be544_c.jpg

14228764209_4768dc1a38_c.jpg

Also have you looked at the Corsair Air 540? It is a great design and all of the cables go in the back out of sight out of mind. With 2 GPUs (vs my 3) you'd get excellent air cooling and if you wanted to go water you could do that too:

14451944801_8e93b4ae86_c.jpg

14454183774_d9aaa67f98_c.jpg

I have the H100 is push/pull too. I saw you mention that in an earlier post.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You can also get individually sleeved color cables if you want. They offer Red, Blue, and White. Here is mine:

14228960127_9c7b5be544_c.jpg

14228764209_4768dc1a38_c.jpg

Also have you looked at the Corsair Air 540? It is a great design and all of the cables go in the back out of sight out of mind. With 2 GPUs (vs my 3) you'd get excellent air cooling and if you wanted to go water you could do that too:

14451944801_8e93b4ae86_c.jpg

14454183774_d9aaa67f98_c.jpg

I have the H100 is push/pull too. I saw you mention that in an earlier post.
You have access to mumble or Skype? Would like a chat.

RGM79

Question:

How do you lock the frame rate in a game?

If I want to cap a game at 30fps, how would I do that?
Some games will have an option for it, if not then try vsync options. You can also try certain programs like MSI Afterburner and RadeonPro, they have options for framerate limiter.

RGM79

I have a evga 650 graphics card and have a vega gtx 660 ti install, is there anything i need to do before i make the swap?
Not really. Should be just a matter of replacing the card, they should use the same or similar drivers.

If you really want to be thorough, then download the latest 660 Ti drivers, download and run Display Driver Uninstall, reboot, and install the 660 Ti drivers afterward.

Iacobellis

For anyone with an S340 or similarly sized case, would I fare better with an H80i or H100i?

If I had an H80i, I would mount it in the back and use the two stock fans in the front.

If I were to go with an H100i, I would use that in the front and one stock fan in the rear. Unfortunately, with my motherboard, there isn't enough clearance on the top to mount a fan.

Yeah, get the 2400. That's more than enough, most people get ddr3 1866, anyway. As for the corsair hydro, yeah they are as easy to mount as air heatsinks, I use a H60 with my i7 5820, but in summer it would get to 85C to 100C if it tried 4.2ghz (100% load in stress test). I'm no expert on cooling, so anyone may recommend a better solution.

Cool, thanks again for the help. I think I'll go with the H90, since I don't really want the H105's dual-fans (youtube videos seem to show them being a tight fit in the 630).

So this is my revised plan:
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H90 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" SSD
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (Black)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum

Still open to any other comments/suggestions. I won't start buying the parts until next week.

orochi91

Some games will have an option for it, if not then try vsync options. You can also try certain programs like MSI Afterburner and RadeonPro, they have options for framerate limiter.

Looking through the feature set for RadeonPro and I'm overwhelmed.

So many great tools here :O

I use Nvidia Inspector, it's only for Nvidia cards though.

Yea, I'm rocking an AMD card right now, but that's good to know for when I'll probably pick up an Nvidia cards sometime next year.

turnernader

Neo Member
Thanks a lot I might as well just clean install it just in case

Not really. Should be just a matter of replacing the card, they should use the same or similar drivers.

If you really want to be thorough, then download the latest 660 Ti drivers, download and run Display Driver Uninstall, reboot, and install the 660 Ti drivers afterward.

Cool, thanks again for the help. I think I'll go with the H90, since I don't really want the H105's dual-fans (youtube videos seem to show them being a tight fit in the 630).

So this is my revised plan:

Still open to any other comments/suggestions. I won't start buying the parts until next week.

any thoughts on maybe going gold instead of platinum for the power supply? you will be able to get a gold fully modular 850W for that price

Wensih

[Basic Desktop Questions]
Your Current Specs: A really really shitty laptop; I'm starting from scratch and have no prior building experience
Budget: $500-600; US
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Light Gaming 5,
Gaming 5,
Emulation (PS2/Wii) 3,
Video Editing 2,
Streaming games in HD 3,
3D/Model work (and what program)1,
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 5.
Monitor Resolution: I was thinking of just hooking my tower up to my 1080P tv.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I'm aiming for games to run at 60; I'm really hoping to build this for the Witcher 3 and No Man's Sky to run smoothly... (I feel like this has been said a lot)
Looking to reuse any parts?: No parts to reuse at the moment
When will you build?: I don't have a specific time frame; I'm willing to wait for prices. I would like to get this done by the end of next year though.
Will you be overclocking?: Can someone explain this to me? I suppose I'll say yes.

Thanks for the help GAF... I've been delaying building one, but I think it's time to start researching and get this going by the end of next year (I'll be graduating college in Spring).

RedSwirl

The Black Friday deals just hit and I'm looking at HDDs to replace the one that sounds like it's perpetually about to shit itself on me.

The main thing that's catching my eye is 2TB drives for $80. Is that good savings? What's the difference between the WD colors again?

appaws

Banned
[Basic Desktop Questions]
Your Current Specs: A really really shitty laptop; I'm starting from scratch and have no prior building experience
Budget: $500-600; US
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Light Gaming 5,
Gaming 5,
Emulation (PS2/Wii) 3,
Video Editing 2,
Streaming games in HD 3,
3D/Model work (and what program)1,
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 5.
Monitor Resolution: I was thinking of just hooking my tower up to my 1080P tv.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I'm aiming for games to run at 60; I'm really hoping to build this for the Witcher 3 and No Man's Sky to run smoothly... (I feel like this has been said a lot)
Looking to reuse any parts?: No parts to reuse at the moment
When will you build?: I don't have a specific time frame; I'm willing to wait for prices. I would like to get this done by the end of next year though.
Will you be overclocking?: Can someone explain this to me? I suppose I'll say yes.

Thanks for the help GAF... I've been delaying building one, but I think it's time to start researching and get this going by the end of next year (I'll be graduating college in Spring).

You are looking at something like the "Good" build in the OP. I suggest the Pentium Anniversary (G3258) CPU with a Z97 board. This gives you a good upgrade path, since you will be able to stick a Broadwell i5 or i7 in there when they come out.

The other question is whether you want to go with a smaller form factor build? It might be perfect for you to use on your TV, or if you move it around. These days I would say that the big builds are to be left to the enthusiast water coolers or those who are interested in multiple graphics cards, etc. I think most people would be well served by micro-ATX builds.

Although I will say that "the end of NEXT year" is not a very helpful time frame. In the world of PC builds, that is an eternity.

appaws

Banned
The Black Friday deals just hit and I'm looking at HDDs to replace the one that sounds like it's perpetually about to shit itself on me.

The main thing that's catching my eye is 2TB drives for $80. Is that good savings? What's the difference between the WD colors again?

That seems like a good price.

Blues: Solid general use hdd.
Greens: Low power slower storage. Bad reliability reputation.
Blacks: High performance. Longer warranty
Reds: Slightly faster than Greens storage. Consumer version of their server drives.

Where have I heard the name "RedSwirl" before? There is something familiar about it...

The video card I ordered was delivered today, but It sat on my porch for hours as I wasn't able to pick it up until after work. The thing is that it is 12 degrees outside. This wouldn't damage my video card right?

I don't quite understand what your plan is for the RAM. You say you'll have only 2GB, but your pcpartpicker list has a 4GB stick. If you are planning to reuse your current RAM, have you checked that it will work with your new motherboard? Just asking since it sounds your current PC is quite old and might still use DDR2.
Also, as someone said above, you don't need the 2400Mhz RAM, and if you are trying to combine the new RAM with your old RAM, all sticks will run at the frequency of the slowest stick. On the other hand, it's better to get the RAM in pairs of two for dual-channel motherboards to get the full bandwidth. So it's best to get a set of 2 x 4GB.

XP can only use 2 gigs no matter how much is in the box, but it doesn't matter since I'm gonna need a new OS anyway.

XP won't play nice. Vista might be the earliest OS that current motherboards and etc will support. Even last generation parts had nearly non-existent driver support for Vista. It's very unlikely that you'll get Windows XP running very well on brand new parts. If you're looking for a cheaper Windows license, then it's possible to purchase very low cost Windows 8 keys from Reddit, I believe the part of the site is called MicrosoftSoftwareSwap. I don't know how long you're going to wait until getting Windows, maybe you could even temporarily use Linux if you don't mind. Ubuntu or Linux Mint (both free) make for a decent assisted start into Linux.

Beware of deals for blu-ray drives that only include the drive itself and no software bundle (sometimes labeled "OEM"). You'll need some kind of software like Cyberlink's PowerDVD software to play back blu-ray discs because the technology is licensed, don't expect free solutions like VLC or MPC to handle it. From what I can find, the 4690k's HD4000 integrated graphics will handle blu-ray just fine.

Parts look mostly fine to me. I wouldn't worry too much about memory speed, it doesn't make too much of a difference. $80 for 8GB is fairly normal pricing, but if you don't mind and want to save a bit, $65 for 1 x 8GB DDR-1600 wouldn't be a bad substitute. What are your old desktop's specs? Maybe you can even reuse the case and power supply, depending on compatibility.

Thank you that was very helpful. My computer is a very old (2008) Dell box, so I'm not going to use anything from the inside except the DVD drive. Plus I think the power switch on the case is broken and that's what's causing my trouble. What I think I'm going to do is scale back everything and forgo BluRay so I can get a new hard drive and a copy of Window 8.1. I'll just order it retail since getting one used sounds like it might be a hassle. I already have a couple hard drives, but one is very small and the other is an external USB drive. This build is based of the Good build rather than the Great build.

CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bD3DhM

This comes to about $600 before shipping, so right at the top of what I want to spend. Does any one see any problems/have any suggestions about this? About what games would I be able to play if I added a decent graphics card to this?

The video card I ordered was delivered today, but It sat on my porch for hours as I wasn't able to pick it up until after work. The thing is that it is 12 degrees outside. This wouldn't damage my video card right?

storage areas in delivery trucks, ships, etc are not particularly much warmer inside during winter.

How often do y'all upgrade your video cards? I know it's "whenever you run out of performance" but I'm curious how frequent it really is.

I seem to get about 3-3.5 years out of my cards, and typically buy something in the $250-$300 range.

I wonder if I should make this a new thread instead. Just curious.

appaws

Banned
How often do y'all upgrade your video cards? I know it's "whenever you run out of performance" but I'm curious how frequent it really is.

I seem to get about 3-3.5 years out of my cards, and typically buy something in the $250-$300 range.

I think you will get pretty wide ranging answers....I think there are still people using 8800GT cards and stuff on GAF. My purchases have accelerated a little bit since I got out of school and started making money...my last 3 have been a 560ti 448 cores, a 7950, then a R9 290. The 560ti 448 died a terrible loud, sparking death....the 7950 and 290 are currently in use.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

When the cost of upgrading is outweighed by:
Heat or power savings (Summer mainly)
Performance increase/$ (See: GTX 960 most likely)
Performance needs (More VRAM)
It's <$60 to upgrade (Like half my jumps)

670 has been a real champ so far

RGM79

Torhthelm Tídwald;139336462 said:
XP can only use 2 gigs no matter how much is in the box, but it doesn't matter since I'm gonna need a new OS anyway.

Thank you that was very helpful. My computer is a very old (2008) Dell box, so I'm not going to use anything from the inside except the DVD drive. Plus I think the power switch on the case is broken and that's what's causing my trouble. What I think I'm going to do is scale back everything and forgo BluRay so I can get a new hard drive and a copy of Window 8.1. I'll just order it retail since getting one used sounds like it might be a hassle. I already have a couple hard drives, but one is very small and the other is an external USB drive. This build is based of the Good build rather than the Great build.

CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bD3DhM

This comes to about $600 before shipping, so right at the top of what I want to spend. Does any one see any problems/have any suggestions about this? About what games would I be able to play if I added a decent graphics card to this?

I wouldn't recommend that motherboard. Although a B85 motherboard will work for your needs, you can move up to a H97 or even Z97 for a bit of an extra cost and be better prepared for future CPU upgrades. Also, because the motherboard is that old, it may need a BIOS update before it will work with the i5 4460 and any future processors, that's added frustration and work to get it working out of the box. I recommend the ASrock H97 Pro4 for $88. If you can't spare any more for budget, then consider the ASrock H97 Anniversary for $72. The corresponding mATX versions of those two motherboards are also slightly cheaper, at the cost of less expandability but nearly the same feature set.

The rest seems alright for a budget build. You could save on the cost of Windows by buying a key elsewhere, but it's your choice to get it from a trusted retailer.

For gaming performance, the 4460 should handle pretty much anything for the next 3 years handily. Specific performance figures will depend on what video card you pair it with, but it's a solid CPU if one isn't interested in overclocking (which comes with an added price premium over the i5 4460).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I wouldn't recommend that motherboard. Although a B85 motherboard will work for your needs, you can move up to a H97 or even Z97 for a bit of an extra cost and be better prepared for future CPU upgrades. Also, because the motherboard is that old, it may need a BIOS update before it will work with the i5 4460 and any future processors, that's added frustration and work to get it working out of the box. I recommend the ASrock H97 Pro4 for $88. If you can't spare any more for budget, then consider the ASrock H97 Anniversary for $72. The corresponding mATX versions of those two motherboards are also slightly cheaper, at the cost of less expandability but nearly the same feature set.

The rest seems alright for a budget build. You could save on the cost of Windows by buying a key elsewhere, but it's your choice to get it from a trusted retailer.

For gaming performance, the 4460 should handle pretty much anything for the next 3 years handily. Specific performance figures will depend on what video card you pair it with, but it's a solid CPU if one isn't interested in overclocking (which comes with an added price premium over the i5 4460).
That's a good point, I've swapped in an H97 board for the GB. GB was there before the H97's had hit / any reviews or impressions.

Shun

No one responded in the other TV/Monitor Threads so I guess I'll give this one a shot.

I'm looking for a monitor and my price range is no more than 100 bucks flat. This means I'm getting these used. That said, I found a deal for the ASUS LED IPS ML239H monitor and was wondering if it was worth the 70 bucks I paid.

Anyone own this or have any testimonies or recommendations? This is mainly for photo editing and personal PS3/Wii U gaming.

Shitty deal for an LED IPS monitor? Could I have done better since I can most definitely resell this for at least $120

kevm3

I have a 470, so I had to have had my card for 4 years? The only reason I'm updating to a 970 right now is because my 470 isn't working properly. Given that cards right now are already struggling with games, I'll probably have to update in another 3 or 4. Honestly, I feel that updating around 3 or 4 years into a console's lifecycle is the best since you'll be able to get a card that blasts through all of the console ports. That's probably when I'll upgrade from this 970 that should be coming in soon.

GHG

Gold Member

It used to depend on when a good deal surfaces for me really. I went:

Nvidia 8600GT 256mb (2008)
ATI 4770 512mb (2009)
GTX 260 core 216 896mb (2009)
GTX 480 1.5 GB (2010)
GTX 660 SLI 3GB (2012)

Throughout that whole time I've only done 1 motherboard/CPU upgrade (phenom 965 BE to i5 3570k).

I'm tempted to do another complete overhaul at the moment and go for a 6 core i7 but the fact that I don't actually NEED to is holding me back. I also want to upgrade my GPUs but it needs to be to cards that have 6GB vram so that I'm scalable to 4k. I also have a rile where if I'm not almost doubling my vram/performance then the upgrade isn't really worth it.

The market doesn't advance as quickly as it used to and prices dont fluctuate (downwards) as much as they used to as a result.

XBP

Ok guys I think this will be my final setup. Anything you guys think i should change in this build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($414.89 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($108.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($299.85 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($274.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($218.89 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($104.89 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($418.95 @ Vuugo)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($164.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $2121.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-18 02:50 EST-0500

Maybe I should order some extra fans?

Go with 4 x 4 GB of RAM.

Any reason why? Reliability, I guess? I was just going with 2x8GB because it was slightly cheaper and more convenient (since I'm already planning on ordering a couple of other parts from the same store).

any thoughts on maybe going gold instead of platinum for the power supply? you will be able to get a gold fully modular 850W for that price

I'm really not sure. When I was first trying to figure it out, I ruled out SLI, so 850W just seemed a bit unnecessary.

Any reason why? Reliability, I guess? I was just going with 2x8GB because it was slightly cheaper and more convenient (since I'm already planning on ordering a couple of other parts from the same store).

I'm really not sure. When I was first trying to figure it out, I ruled out SLI, so 850W just seemed a bit unnecessary.

Well, then you can save 50 bucks or so if you go ~700W but gold instead of platinum.

Addnan

Ok guys I think this will be my final setup. Anything you guys think i should change in this build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($414.89 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($108.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($299.85 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($274.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($218.89 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($104.89 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($418.95 @ Vuugo)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($164.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $2121.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-18 02:50 EST-0500

Maybe I should order some extra fans?

Both of you go 4x4 because 2011 supports quad channel RAM. Difference in performance won't be huge, but if you are paying for 2011 might as well take advantage of all of it.

XBP

Both of you go 4x4 because 2011 supports quad channel RAM. Difference in performance won't be huge, but if you are paying for 2011 might as well take advantage of all of it.

I thought I had chosen the 4x4GB one :)S). This should be ok I guess?

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom