• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bump, is something wrong?

I think you should just keep the shadows lowered. This is not a scientific answer, but in my experience it's hard to keep 60fps in an MMO with everything maxed regardless of specs, especially if you're outdoors.

There could be a mod causing it I suppose.

knitoe

Well GAF, I look at this thread almost daily and finally took the plunge and went down to my local MicroCenter. They bundled me up some good deals and matched a few other things so I am happy.

I will post a picture once I'm done should make a nice looking rig.

CASE: 1 NZXT H440 White ATX Case
CPU: 1 Intel Core I7 5820K
RAM: 1 Corsair 16GB 4X4 D4 2666 VGN LPX
CPU Cooler: 1 Corsair Hydro H100I Liquid Cooler
MB: 1 ASUS X99-Deluxe ATX 2011E
GPU: 1 ASUS STRIX GTX980 OC Edition 4GB PCIE
DVD: 1 LG 8X DVD
FANS: 6 FrozenCPU B12-2 SILENT 120MM FAN (Replace the stock fans in the Case)
UPS: 1 CyberPower 1500VA
HD: 1 WD 2TB 3.5 Perform HD 7200
HD: 1 Intel 730 Series SSD 480GB SATA 6Gb/s (On its way from NewEgg)
PS: 1 SeaSonic X-1250 1250W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD
Return that Cyberpower UPS and get one with sine wave. Enjoy the kickass computer.

You actually need 1.26v? Assuming this is a 4690k, that sounds like the Vcore range for 4.5Ghz.

You want to solve the problem: delid.

It's a 5820K. I've raised my voltage to 1.28v under load and my clock speed is now 4.4Ghz. AIDA64 ran for 2.5 hrs max temp was 72C on 2 cores the rest stayed below 70C and I stopped it to play BF4 when a friend was on to play because BF is a game known to expose an unstable system. I played a few hours problem free, max temp while playing was 59C. I decided to give it a test with another CPU intensive game, AC Unity which actually runs surprisingly well for me. No issues max core temp still 59C. I'm going to run AIDA64 for 8-12 hrs again to feel good but so far so good.

RGM79

I'm having alot of stuttering issues within DA: Inquisition and Farcry 4 (Especially), only two games I've played since grabbing a second card for SLI. I'm getting over 60 fps, but with stuttering it doesn't feel that way... it's making me nauseous. The funny part is I was streaming in 720/60fps, and I watched the local recording and it's smooth as butter. It's as if it's only apparent on my screen.
Unfortunately, SLI/crossfire stutter is still an issue. It used to be a lot worse, but Nvidia and AMD have greatly improved upon it. However your issue may stem from the fact that you have two different models of the GTX 770. Most people who opt for SLI go for two cards of the exact same model. Because the two cards you have are different models and may be slightly different performance, stuttering may be a big issue for yoy because one is slightly faster and the other is slower, causing stutter as one card waits for the other card to catch up.

kharma45

Unfortunately, SLI/crossfire stutter is still an issue. It used to be a lot worse, but Nvidia and AMD have greatly improved upon it. However your issue may stem from the fact that you have two different models of the GTX 770. Most people who opt for SLI go for two cards of the exact same model. Because the two cards you have are different models and may be slightly different performance, stuttering may be a big issue for yoy because one is slightly faster and the other is slower, causing stutter as one card waits for the other card to catch up.

In SLI both cards will run at the same speed. the driver should sync the speeds to the slowest one.

Belmire

Not sure if this is accurate. I could have sworn reading that the faster card is clocked down to match the slower one automatically.

Not sure if this is accurate. I could have sworn reading that the faster card is clocked down to match the slower one automatically.

You're correct, that's the way it works, or should. I went into EVGA Precision X to take a look and this is what it's showing.

15669344777_94efac3bf8_o.png

1 is the EVGA ACX
2 is the MSI Twin Frozr

Both 4GB

dareacher

Banned
Guys i really need help huere...so i received all my parts and the motherboard doesnt seem to fit in the case.... the case i got is CASE CORSAIR| CC-9011069-WW R and the motherboard is the gygabite ga-z97x-ud5h. Am i missind something or am i screwed?? Thanks for the help!

kennah

Guys i really need help huere...so i received all my parts and the motherboard doesnt seem to fit in the case.... the case i got is CASE CORSAIR| CC-9011069-WW R and the motherboard is the gygabite ga-z97x-ud5h. Am i missind something or am i screwed?? Thanks for the help!
Totally screwed. The Air 240 is an itx case. You'd need a Z97N board, not X

luiztfc

Guys, I'd like some advice, please.

Currently, I'm rocking two HD6970 in CF. They are starting to show their age and I always thought AMD's drivers were a bit lacklusters. Also, I hate micro stuttering.

So, I've been looking for a single GPU that would be a good upgrade. At the moment, I'm satisfied with running games at 1080p 120 fps, but in the (not so) near future, I might jump in the 1440p bandwagon (as soon as 1440p 144hz monitors are cheaper).

Would a GTX 980 be a good upgrade? Or is there a nice GPU around the corner that I should wait for? I know AMD is planning on releasing r390x, but I just don't want to deal with shitty drivers again...

Any Black Friday deal?

Also, can I have two monitors with different refresh rate at the same time (i.e., 120 hz and 60 hz)?

My rig:

Mobo Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 (only has one PCI 16x 2.0)
2x HD6970
i7 2600k
16 GB 1866
SSD Evo 840 512 GB
PSU Corsair 950W

Thank you, very much!

RGM79

You're correct, that's the way it works, or should. I went into EVGA Precision X to take a look and this is what it's showing.

1 is the EVGA ACX
2 is the MSI Twin Frozr

Both 4GB

Set both to same clock and memory speed, see if that makes a difference? 52 MHz higher clock makes for a sizable difference, I think

knitoe

1 is the EVGA ACX
2 is the MSI Twin Frozr

Both 4GB

It's been awhile since I used EVGA Precision, but maybe, click on that chain link icon to set both cards to run at the same speeds.

Edit:Nevermind, it's seems only for linking power and temps.

Marceles

Well GAF, I look at this thread almost daily and finally took the plunge and went down to my local MicroCenter. They bundled me up some good deals and matched a few other things so I am happy.

I will post a picture once I'm done should make a nice looking rig.

CASE: 1 NZXT H440 White ATX Case
CPU: 1 Intel Core I7 5820K
RAM: 1 Corsair 16GB 4X4 D4 2666 VGN LPX
CPU Cooler: 1 Corsair Hydro H100I Liquid Cooler
MB: 1 ASUS X99-Deluxe ATX 2011E
GPU: 1 ASUS STRIX GTX980 OC Edition 4GB PCIE
DVD: 1 LG 8X DVD
FANS: 6 FrozenCPU B12-2 SILENT 120MM FAN (Replace the stock fans in the Case)
UPS: 1 CyberPower 1500VA
HD: 1 WD 2TB 3.5 Perform HD 7200
HD: 1 Intel 730 Series SSD 480GB SATA 6Gb/s (On its way from NewEgg)
PS: 1 SeaSonic X-1250 1250W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD

ZQqjLdg.jpg

Have fun dude, I'm having PC build withdrawals after building my first in April. That's gonna be a beast.

Hm, in a bit of a dilema guys. Not long ago I bought the EVGA Geforce 780 ti ACX Superclocked card and it's quite difficulty to find a decent price on. It's as expensive, or even more expensive than it was when I bought it some months ago.

Do I spend the large sum of money again and get another to run in SLI, or purchase a 980 and somehow try selling this one off...if that's even gonna be possible...?

I've asked around on this as well and most people have told me to just buy another one as long as my power supply was good enough.

there probably won't be any black friday deals on 970s right?

feeling like upgrading with how dragon age inquisition runs and the witcher 3 is coming up soon

I'll appreciate your help in this matter

I'm not an expert on the 970 but the EVGA has a cooler that doesn't fully line up with the heat pipes in the cooler to the gpu (I've heard it doesn't cause issues, but I would expect it to run slightly hotter/louder than other models. My friend has 2x ASUS STRIX cards and they are awesome and he really likes the setup. I'm considering any of the 3 Gigabyte models but it looks like a 970 with a "titan cooler" could soon start showing up online some time in the near future. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139963567&postcount=8148

RedSwirl

This is really the only thread where I can ask about this, but while playing Wolfenstein just now I ran into some kind of memory allocation failure that crashed the game. I have no idea if it was because of virtual memory or main memory. I'm running the game on a system with 8GB of RAM and a 2GB GPU.

RGM79

This is really the only thread where I can ask about this, but while playing Wolfenstein just now I ran into some kind of memory allocation failure that crashed the game. I have no idea if it was because of virtual memory or main memory. I'm running the game on a system with 8GB of RAM and a 2GB GPU.

Check RAM usage in Task Manager or Resource Monitor? Looking around for similar issues gets me different answers - some say small page file size is the issue, others say VRAM is the problem (in which case try enabling VT compression and lower max PPF in the game's options).

RedSwirl

Check RAM usage in Task Manager or Resource Monitor? Looking around for similar issues gets me different answers - some say small page file size is the issue, others say VRAM is the problem (in which case try enabling VT compression and lower max PPF in the game's options).

I really hope it's not the page file. I had to chop that thing down to 512MB just to fit Wolfenstein on my SSD. I'll up the max to 1024 and lower the game's Max PPF.

RGM79

I really hope it's not the page file. I had to chop that thing down to 512MB just to fit Wolfenstein on my SSD. I'll up the max to 1024 and lower the game's Max PPF.

You could set the page file to be on a different drive if there's one. The sites I pulled the solutions from mentioned that 1GB page file was already too small. Try 1.5~2GB.

XBP

Just a quick question. Does it matter if I buy two 2x4GB sticks of RAM? That turns out to be 25$ cheaper than getting a single 4x4GB pair.

XBP

? 2X4=8 4X4=16 16 for $25 more than 8 isn't bad at all.

Sorry, I meant 2x2x4GB vs 4x4GB. One is two separate 2x4GB packs and the other is a single pack of 4x4GB sticks.

Basically the 2x2x4GB route is costing me 25$ less. Both are the same RAM (everything is identical). Just one is sold in packs of 2 while the other in packs of 4.

RGM79

Sorry, I meant 2x2x4GB vs 4x4GB. One is two separate 2x4GB packs and the other is a single pack of 4x4GB sticks.

Basically the 2x2x4GB route is costing me 25$ less. Both are the same RAM (everything is identical). Just one is sold in packs of 2 while the other in packs of 4.

Where are you buying? Links?

colt92

Neo Member

RGM79

I want to build the best gaming PC for 1500 $ so guys tell me what to get

Here you go. You didn't specify anything, so this is just a general build, parts can be changed to your liking.

The current case is relatively large - it's a full tower case (review pictures). It's got great features, and has room for pretty much any future expansion. It's possible to go down to a smaller mid-tower case like the Corsair 450D without any loss in performance, if you like. If you're looking for an even smaller footprint (HTPC or similarly compact size) then some parts will have to be changed, performance stays more or less the same, but future expansion is more limited (second video card still possible depending on the case, but fewer bays for hard drives, etc).

Looks fine to me. It's the exact same product, except it's packaged in different bundles.

XBP

Read the OP first. You need to post more info if you want help.

They're both the same. Weird that two 8GB packs are cheaper than the 16GB one when they're all 4GB sticks.

Here you go. You didn't specify anything, so this is just a general build, parts can be changed to your liking.

The current case is relatively large - it's a full tower case (review pictures). It's got great features, and has room for pretty much any future expansion. It's possible to go down to a smaller mid-tower case like the Corsair 450D without any loss in performance, if you like. If you're looking for an even smaller footprint (HTPC or similarly compact size) then some parts will have to be changed, performance stays more or less the same, but future expansion is more limited (second video card still possible depending on the case, but fewer bays for hard drives, etc).

Looks fine to me. It's the exact same product, except it's packaged in different bundles.

Thanks a lot guys. I've bought the RAM. Lets see how this goes.

ricki42

The sticks that are sold in a set have been tested together to ensure that they work well together. Since this is DDR4, I guess you are on X99 and thus quad-channel. Getting a set of 4x4 GB ensures that you can advantage of that. The 2x(2x4) GB may still work well together, though.

Inkwell

Banned
I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading from 4 GB of ram to 8 GB. I noticed some games are starting to list 8 GB as the recommended amount with 4 GB as the minimum. I'm basically using the same PC I built close to 5 years ago with a newer video card and they are still selling the same ram I bought in 2010. I'm only considering this because it's cheap and the same kind as I have right now.

RGM79

I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading from 4 GB of ram to 8 GB. I noticed some games are starting to list 8 GB as the recommended amount with 4 GB as the minimum. I'm basically using the same PC I built close to 5 years ago with a newer video card and they are still selling the same ram I bought in 2010. I'm only considering this because it's cheap and the same kind as I have right now.
It's an easy and relatively cheap upgrade. However, $49 for 4GB, even if it matches your old set's low CAS of 7 is a bit overpriced. You can get 4GB DDR3-1600 of any CAS latency for around $30-35 and it should be compatible. You won't notice any difference in speed.

Any UKers here? Just wondering whats the best option for getting a good rig with i7 processor. Budget is around £600. I don't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse.

Toying with the idea of building but not sure think I would rather go down the route of buying a ready made one unless I could save myself quite a bit.

Main uses will be image editing, Football Manager and other PC games (probably not new releases as I have an Xbox One).

Any UKers here? Just wondering whats the best option for getting a good rig with i7 processor. Budget is around £600. I don't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse.

Toying with the idea of building but not sure think I would rather go down the route of buying a ready made one unless I could save myself quite a bit.

Main uses will be image editing, Football Manager and other PC games (probably not new releases as I have an Xbox One).

600 pounds is not a lot for a PC with an i7. You'll have to skim a bunch on other components.

Inkwell

Banned
It's an easy and relatively cheap upgrade. However, $49 for 4GB, even if it matches your old set's low CAS of 7 is a bit overpriced. You can get 4GB DDR3-1600 of any CAS latency for around $30-35 and it should be compatible. You won't notice any difference in speed.

I thought it wasn't a good idea to mix different kinds of ram? Let's say I do this. What settings would I use in the BIOS? Would I essentially just use slower timings for my current ram?

And since I was at the bottom of the page, here's my original post:

Momentary

Banned
Is the RVZ01 the only case that offers a SFF in the shape of a console? I want something a little more clean, like the Digital Storm Bolt. Everything else I've seen just looks like a box. I would have figured there would be a boom in these kind of cases by now.

kharma45

600 pounds is not a lot for a PC with an i7. You'll have to skim a bunch on other components.

Going for a Xeon might be a way though to cut costs. They're essentially i7's without the iGPU.

knitoe

I thought it wasn't a good idea to mix different kinds of ram? Let's say I do this. What settings would I use in the BIOS? Would I essentially just use slower timings for my current ram?

And since I was at the bottom of the page, here's my original post:
Yes. It's better to use the same spec ram, but if you can't, set in the bios and run at the spec of the slower one

Can anyone point me to a "Baby's first Overclock" guide for my g3258, or want to just help me out here?

I've been doing some reading, but I'm still not sure about the whole process.

The Llama

Can anyone point me to a "Baby's first Overclock" guide for my g3258, or want to just help me out here?

I've been doing some reading, but I'm still not sure about the whole process.

It's basically this:

1. Set voltage to a known safe amount (not sure what it is for the g3258 but I'd guess around 1.2V?)
2. Increase multiplier
3. Test for stability
4. Make sure the temperatures are ok

If its stable:

Decrease voltage a bit and test for stability. You can keep decreasing it to find the minimum voltage needed, but that's up to you.

If it's unstable:

Increase voltage or decrease the multiplier until its stable, but make sure the temperatures are ok!

LilJoka

Could do it since your wanting to run FM which is hardly graphically demanding. But of course GPU would be pretty weak when compared to the potential of the CPU with that budget. Depends what other games you may play?

It's basically this:

1. Set voltage to a known safe amount (not sure what it is for the g3258 but I'd guess around 1.2V?)
2. Increase multiplier
3. Test for stability
4. Make sure the temperatures are ok

If its stable:

Decrease voltage a bit and test for stability. You can keep decreasing it to find the minimum voltage needed, but that's up to you.

If it's unstable:

Increase voltage or decrease the multiplier until its stable, but make sure the temperatures are ok!

Alright, what are ok temperatures? And is say the prime95 blend test a good way to check stability?

The Llama

Alright, what are ok temperatures? And is say the prime95 blend test a good way to check stability?

Yeah, Prime95 is perfect for that. I wouldn't let it go above ~85C. Just for quick stability tests, run it for like 5-10 minutes, make sure its ok, then tweak it. Then once you've found a good overclock (and voltage), I'd run it for a few hours (or overnight, whatever works for you).

Yeah, Prime95 is perfect for that. I wouldn't let it go above ~85C. Just for quick stability tests, run it for like 5-10 minutes, make sure its ok, then tweak it. Then once you've found a good overclock (and voltage), I'd run it for a few hours (or overnight, whatever works for you).

When I need to start increasing voltage, what size increments should I be making? Also, when I'm testing for stability am I just looking for crashes?

The Llama

When I need to start increasing voltage, what size increments should I be making? Also, when I'm testing for stability am I just looking for crashes?

You can probably adjust in 0.05V increments, right? I'd just go 0.1V at a time. Yeah, you're basically just waiting to see if it crashes.

You can probably adjust in 0.05V increments, right? I'd just go 0.1V at a time. Yeah, you're basically just waiting to see if it crashes.

Ha, as soon as I posted I got my first crash and went and increased the voltage .1V. Thanks for the info though, is there anything particularly good to watch temps with? I'm using speccy.

The Llama

Ha, as soon as I posted I got my first crash and went and increased the voltage .1V. Thanks for the info though, is there anything particularly good to watch temps with? I'm using speccy.

I use HWMonitor but there are a bunch of different things you can use.
You can also use OCCT to check stability, and that has built in temperature monitors (including a feature that automatically stops the testing if temps go over a certain amount).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom