• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the hell is DDR4 ram so expensive? I'm so close to getting a 5820k instead of a 4790k but the extra money in ram and such is just killing me. It's only a $50 difference otherwise. :/

RAM kind of got hit by a double whammy. DDR3 had some manufacturing problems prior to phase out, and DDR4 hasn't been phased in as quickly as was originally anticipated.

Hanzou

Better question is why DDR3 still so expensive?

I thought it was because they are just not manufacturing as much anymore as PC sales are down. Plus I remember when you could get 8GB for around $30 there were reports saying that ram prices were so low that manufacturers were making almost no profit.

I just got my wife's pc in, it has an EVGA 500b that's rated for 100-240v but I don't see a switch to change between the two. Does this supply switch on its own?

Edit: googling hasn't helped much, but another forum said it does so internally. I'd rather hear from you guys, though.

I just got my wife's pc in, it has an EVGA 500b that's rated for 100-240v but I don't see a switch to change between the two. Does this supply switch on its own?

Edit: googling hasn't helped much, but another forum said it does do internally. I'd rather hear from you guys, though.
I had this PSU for a while. I don't remember seeing a switch on it and used it in US.

I had this PSU for a while. I don't remember seeing a switch on it and used it in US.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I used it plenty in the US, but I'm in Korea now. Have you used it on 220v?

My wife's been waiting for her PC to get here so she can play DA:I. I don't want to blow the supply as soon as it gets here, lol.

Talax

Small noob question.

Never made a PC before and only have a laptop which was enough for gaming upto the time that Batman Arkham Asylum release period, so I didn't even know a thing about various parts and whatnot.

I only just found out that it's not just about picking the graphic card it's also about the vendor making it. So,my question is, if I want a GTX 970, what's the best and most reliable that money can buy?

Edit: googling hasn't helped much, but another forum said it does so internally. I'd rather hear from you guys, though.

If it doesn't have the little red switch, then it most likely has Active Power Factor Correction, which basically means that it'll automatically take in any voltage level from 100V to 240V. (Fake Edit: Checked the 500b on NewEgg, their title says it has Active PFC) That's the positive aspect.

The negative is if you're in the market for a UPS, as a PSU with Active PFC requires a Pure Sine-Wave UPS for uninterrupted power during an outage, which can cost quite a bit more than a regular UPS.

Small noob question.

Never made a PC before and only have a laptop which was enough for gaming upto the time that Batman Arkham Asylum release period, so I didn't even know a thing about various parts and whatnot.

I only just found out that it's not just about picking the graphic card it's also about the vendor making it. So,my question is, if I want a GTX 970, what's the best and most reliable that money can buy?

People prefer different Vendors, you're probably be fine with most. But I personally prefer EVGA, and MSI.

I found a SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD 480GB for 197€. I currently have a Samsung 840+1TB HDD installed on a Asus P8Z77-V LE with these features:

Marvell PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller
1 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
1 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue

I have the Samsung connected to eSATA (with my OS on it): can I have the Sandisk connected to the SATA without losing performance?

If it doesn't have the little red switch, then it most likely has Active Power Factor Correction, which basically means that it'll automatically take in any voltage level from 100V to 240V. (Fake Edit: Checked the 500b on NewEgg, their title says it has Active PFC) That's the positive aspect.

The negative is if you're in the market for a UPS, as a PSU with Active PFC requires a Pure Sine-Wave UPS for uninterrupted power during an outage, which can cost quite a bit more than a regular UPS.

Hmm. Thank you. I connected it to the wall and it's working just fine.

RGM79

I'm actually buying in Canada. The difference here atm is $45, I'd rather use that on a Xonar DGX

In that case, go ahead and get the cheaper model. The main difference is that the UD5H has slightly improved memory support (DDR3-3200), an extra Qualcomm Atheros LAN adaptor, slightly different expansion slot and I/O layout (one PCI-E 1x slot replaced with PCI, different USB port arrangement with more ports supported by a Renesas hub.)

Hey guys! First ever post!

Looking to build a small, living room HTPC and gaming box so looking at Mini ITX.

How does this look? Using Amazon because gift cards, Prime etc... Sorry if not formatted correctly! Exported from PC Partpicker as plain text!

[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hQzzCJ) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hQzzCJ/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k) | $299.99 @ Amazon
**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Seidon 120M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rls12m24pkr1) | $64.99 @ Amazon
**Motherboard** | [Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z97iplus) | $149.99 @ Amazon
**Memory** | [Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/patriot-memory-pvl38g213c1kr) | $92.73 @ Amazon
**Storage** | [Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct256mx100ssd1) | $109.99 @ Amazon
**Video Card** | [EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42974kr) | $349.99 @ Amazon
**Case** | [Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-rc120akkn1) | $49.88 @ Amazon
**Power Supply** | [XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550bbefx) |-
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $1117.56
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-23 19:10 EST-0500 |

Word of warning, it seems that although the case supports a 120mm fan in the front, there isn't enough room in there for a 120mm water radiator as well. Either the hard drive cage has to be removed (it's riveted in) or if the radiator fits, place the radiator into the hard drive cage. Either way, you're sacrificing hard drive bays to get that to work. I recommend going with another case - here's a post with mITX build and case suggestions.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.98 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($189.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $690.90

Any thought on this build. It's a gaming PC for my brother and am trying to keep the price as low as possible while still having the PC be powerful for the futures. He is not someone is is obsessed with frame rate and graphic fidelity so a locked 30 fps without all the bells and whistles in the graphic settings is good enough. If it runs even fatster the better.. Looking for a couple opinions on a few things:

I went with the R9 280 as it seems like Nvidia has nothing in this price range that comes close to the 280. Plus the 3Gb will probably even make the card hold up even better down the road. I was also lookigng at the OC Gigabyte 280 for $10 more, worth the price? http://www.ncix.com/detail/gigabyte-radeon-r9-280-oc-0b-98788-1242.htm

Any thoughts on the motherboard and cpu? I think I will get a hyper 212 cooler on there but overclocking is going to be light if it all. He does not know how to do it so I might just bump it up a few hundred MHZ and call it a day. I want a Mobo that is relatively inexpensive but still good quality, will this one fit the bill or is there something better in the price range? Never owned a MSI board before.

Power supply OK? Ram should be OK I think.

If you're on a budget the 4460 will do, but money can be saved by going with a H97 motherboard. I'd go with the Asrock H97 Pro4 which is $80 after $25 mail in rebate. As someone else already mentioned, overclocking won't be possible with that CPU (motherboards at that price level have only 4 phase power, not recommended for overclocking). The 212 Plus was a great bargain heatsink, but I'd go with the newer Evo for just a few dollars more. Do you already have a case? One wasn't mentioned in your list. The PSU and RAM look fine. Good reviews and cheap price on the PSU.

Gigabyte is a solid brand for video cards. I'd go with their option for $10 more. That R9 280 OC has good reviews.

Gestahl

NCIX Canada has the Gigabyte r9 290 for around $300 CAD supposing I manage to sell off the game codes I don't want, is this a good deal or would I be better off biting the bullet and paying an extra $100 for a low tier 970 like the GIgabyte Mini or MSI OC? Witcher 3 has me by the balls so if I'm going to be buying a video card it's going to be in the next couple of months.

M.D

Finally found out what caused my crazy RAM usage!

The driver for this Killer NIC feature on my motherboard was constantly filling up memory from the moment I turned on my PC. It filled my entire 16GB RAM the other so I had to restart my PC

It seems like a known issue, and this solution worked for me so far (people also recommend updating drivers, downloaded mine from the GIGABYTE page for my motherboard so they might not be up to date)

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...4e484-f488-4253-8ce9-fde371ff247d/memory-leak

Bumhat

Morning GAF, I've got a monitor question for you: I'm looking to buy a new one and have been waiting on Amazon's Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals. Turns out
this monitor will be on a discount (amount to be revealed) later today.

Has anyone used AOC hardware or this specific monitor before? The online reviews sound decent but I'd like to get some trusted GAF opinions on this one. The monitor is already £120 without the discount so it's hardly going to break the bank, but it's whether or not I go with this or spend an extra £50 (approx) and get an ASUS monitor.

EDIT: What about this BenQ monitor instead? Eurgh, decisions decisions. I don't even know how much the AOC one will be reduced by yet!

So GAF I recently recieved an old power mac G5 and I'm considering gutting it to use as an ATX case. Anyone have experience with this, or can recommend an especially good guide? (There's alot of resources) I've heard there are some parts that can help make the process easier, like a lian li motherboard tray. Also What kind of tools should I expect to need to cut this ?

appaws

Banned
Small noob question.

People prefer different Vendors, you're probably be fine with most. But I personally prefer EVGA, and MSI.

Of course we should not leave out a mention of the other top-tier vendors. Asus, Gigabyte, and Sapphire. All of them make excellent products.

Of course we should not leave out a mention of the other top-tier vendors. Asus, Gigabyte, and Sapphire. All of them make excellent products.

I didn't feel the need to, I said he'd be fine with pretty much any vendor as the chips are (near) identical. It's just different coolers and out of box OC's for the most part. That being said I've had many different cards fron PNY to Gigabyte etc. But I've always had the best luck with EVGA and MSI. I should also note I'm specifically mentioning these brands for Nvidia though, as I have not touched an AMD card in a few years.

goodfella

Just splashed out on a 256GB MX1000 to replace my 128 m4.

Does anyone have any experience upgrading their OS Drive? Initially I though I would have to reinstall W8.1, but apparently you can clone drives. Any disadvantages or things to keep in mind when doing this, or would it still be better to reinstall?

Any recommended programs to use for this process?

kennah

Would I see a worthy increase from 8gb 1333 ddr3 to 16gb 2400 ddr3?

Espcially considering it for 160 bucks
What is the rest of your setup and what do you use your pc for, you very likely won't see 160 bucks worth of difference
So GAF I recently recieved an old power mac G5 and I'm considering gutting it to use as an ATX case. Anyone have experience with this, or can recommend an especially good guide? (There's alot of resources) I've heard there are some parts that can help make the process easier, like a lian li motherboard tray. Also What kind of tools should I expect to need to cut this ?
Search the build logs on overclock.net. murdermac is a good one as is sour apple

Hanzou

If you're on a budget the 4460 will do, but money can be saved by going with a H97 motherboard. I'd go with the Asrock H97 Pro4 which is $80 after $25 mail in rebate. As someone else already mentioned, overclocking won't be possible with that CPU (motherboards at that price level have only 4 phase power, not recommended for overclocking). The 212 Plus was a great bargain heatsink, but I'd go with the newer Evo for just a few dollars more. Do you already have a case? One wasn't mentioned in your list. The PSU and RAM look fine. Good reviews and cheap price on the PSU.

Gigabyte is a solid brand for video cards. I'd go with their option for $10 more. That R9 280 OC has good reviews.

Will take a look at that board, thanks. I have an old case of mine that is a little dated but good enough for now I think although I think it is issuing an exhaust fan, will have to grab one. I saw the evo and I think it was $15 more simply because the plus is on sale. Will look at it again. Is the evo just more efficient? I have an xfx card in my system and it is fine. That gigabyte has a lot of doa reviews on Newegg that scared me a bit, will look at it again and make sure it fits in this case as it looks larger.

naw

Was wondering if you guys could check over my build to see if everything's good?

Budget: $1300 (US)
Main Games: CSGO, Dota 2, cod4, PS2/Wii Emulation
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
When will you build?: December
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

took a lot of parts from Haz's build sheet so shout out to him

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.92 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.96 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX Core Edition 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($82.68 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1363.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 10:41 EST-0500

OS made it over $1300 but that's whatever. I can deal with that if everything else is fine.

With Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age both requiring quad core processors, is it time to re-evaluate AMD CPUs as budget build options?

Nope. You could go for an i3 though if you really need to go budget.

CPU_02.png

EDIT: And Far Cry 4:

Based on the CPU usage benchmarks I've seen, FarCry 4 is awful for balancing across cores. So it both requires 4 threads and is also very limited by single thread performance.

One extra heavy thread, which seems to cause a lot of the performance issues people are seeing. What's the point of spreading the work across all those cores if everything is crippled by that one thread anyway?

Lunar15

Hey GAF, what's the main stats I should be looking at when shopping for monitor deals this week? I'm not really looking for 4K, so I'm assuming from there it's just looking for the best price-to-Hz/price-to-size ratios, correct?

How much will it cost to build a pc that can run everything in maximum settings for all games in the forseeable future?

Priceless.

No matter how much you'll spend, you can't be guaranteed to run every game on maximum settings.

Assuming you mean 60 FPS/1080P. I don't think Dragon Age: Inquisition can run on any single card on max settings. But that is including 4 x MSAA which you can easily turn down.

There also be crap ports and settings that are aimed for future cards. The best thing you can do is to get a nice processor, probably get a 970 even though there are better cards. Save the rest of your money and buy a new GPU later on.

This is a 3D monitor. I'd assume I'd be able to get a better deal than this this week on a comparable size/hz monitor, no?

I doubt so, I don't know how the prices in the US are for this monitor. But it is a very popular one and that seems like a great price. And you don't have to use it in 3D. It has also been received very well, the only problem is that the image quality is worse because it is a TN screen. It also is a bit older now.

garath

This is a 3D monitor. I'd assume I'd be able to get a better deal than this this week on a comparable size/hz monitor, no?

Not likely. At least this model this is probably the lowest it will go. Newegg is even backing this price. If it does go lower they'll match it.

There's some other 144hz models around that are comparable but this is the lowest price I've seen on it.

If you're in the market for a >120hz 1080p monitor <$300, this is one of the ones to look at.

Nipo

Ok, I'm going to order the rest of my parts today for my first attempt at building a gaming PC. With a nice long weekend coming up it seems like a perfect time.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions as the small form factor suggestions were a bit dated.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($149.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($569.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($117.99 @ Directron)
Case Ncase M1 v2
Total: $1566.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 11:34 EST-0500

My biggest concern is cooling. Do I need to buy fans or anything else for the graphics card? Are there any small parts I'm missing?

I'll be playing at 1080p and 1440p but nothing too demanding and I'm perfectly happy with a stable 30 fps.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Lunar15

Not likely. At least this model this is probably the lowest it will go. Newegg is even backing this price. If it does go lower they'll match it.

There's some other 144hz models around that are comparable but this is the lowest price I've seen on it.

If you're in the market for a >120hz 1080p monitor <$300, this is one of the ones to look at.

Cool, thanks. 72 hour, right? I'll have to make a decision pretty soon.

colt92

Neo Member
Ok, I'm going to order the rest of my parts today for my first attempt at building a gaming PC. With a nice long weekend coming up it seems like a perfect time.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions as the small form factor suggestions were a bit dated.

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($149.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($569.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($117.99 @ Directron)
Case Ncase M1 v2

My biggest concern is cooling. Do I need to buy fans or anything else for the graphics card? Are there any small parts I'm missing?

I'll be playing at 1080p and 1440p but nothing too demanding and I'm perfectly happy with a stable 30 fps.

Not for the GPU, but it would be a good idea to get some fans to ensure good airflow inside the case, if there's room for any.

paskowitz

Case Ncase M1 v2

Not for the GPU, but it would be a good idea to get some fans to ensure good airflow inside the case, if there's room for any.

I just installed this as my rear exhaust fan. Pulls air like a champ. In fact, the sound of suction/airflow is sometimes louder than actual fan noise. Highly recommended.

Im really surprised by this

I have an i3-3220 and I'm looking to spend about $300 for an i5+mobo, but if 60fps is my goal then why spend the money? I'm not sure if it's worth the money currently. Will certain newer games just not run on a dual core?

I can test it out later today when my 280x comes in.

RGM79

Would I see a worthy increase from 8gb 1333 ddr3 to 16gb 2400 ddr3?

Espcially considering it for 160 bucks
What are the rest of your computer's specs? Higher memory speeds can offer better performance in very specific areas (see these benchmarks: Anandtech Ivy bridge, Anandtech Haswell, Corsair), and AMD APU systems benefit more than Intel. At a price of $160, it can be recommend to someone building a new system (it's even as low as $135), but when you already have 8GB DDR3-1333, it's a lot cheaper to get another 8GB of 1333MHz or 1600MHz (as low as $57 USD) and the performance won't be so far off that it's not worth it, unless you really want that minor, sometimes decent performance boost in certain areas. Not all games exhibit a difference as can seen in the Anandtech tests, so unless the higher speed RAM is really cheap, it's hard to recommend over cheaper lower speed RAM.

so, i just started using two monitors... and i'm loving it. Do you guys have any recommendations on software to enhance the experience?
Ultramon and Displayfusion are the two best known software for that kind of thing. I personally have no experience with Ultramon, but I love Displayfusion, it has a lot of handy features, and I only use half of them. Window/monitor edge snapping, enhanced alt-tab, multiple taskbars, and wallpaper management are the ones I use on a regular basis.

The regular price of $30~ is a bit pricey, but ever since it became available through Steam, it's been on sale occasionally and has been as cheap as $7. Not sure if the sales line up with Steam game sales, though.

Will take a look at that board, thanks. I have an old case of mine that is a little dated but good enough for now I think although I think it is issuing an exhaust fan, will have to grab one. I saw the evo and I think it was $15 more simply because the plus is on sale. Will look at it again. Is the evo just more efficient? I have an xfx card in my system and it is fine. That gigabyte has a lot of doa reviews on Newegg that scared me a bit, will look at it again and make sure it fits in this case as it looks larger.
The Evo is slightly better, it has a more efficient heatpipe design. If you're looking to save wherever possible and it's that much more expensive, then there's nothing wrong with the 212 Plus. According to PCPartPicker, the Evo is $29.98 at NCIX, compared to the 212 Plus going for $26.98 from Newegg.ca, so it should only be $3 more.

Was wondering if you guys could check over my build to see if everything's good?

Budget: $1300 (US)
Main Games: CSGO, Dota 2, cod4, PS2/Wii Emulation
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
When will you build?: December
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

took a lot of parts from Haz's build sheet so shout out to him

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.92 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX Core Edition 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($82.68 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1363.23
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 10:41 EST-0500

OS made it over $1300 but that's whatever. I can deal with that if everything else is fine.
You could save a bit if you take out the DVD drive and the sound card. Neither is really needed unless you have a specific use for them. You can also save on the memory - alternatives include 16GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 for $124, or 16GB G.Skill DDR3-2400 for $135. I recommend replacing the power supply with a modular one. There is the Antec HCG-850M semi-modular bronze for $80 after rebate, or the EVGA 750W G2 fully modular gold for $89 after rebate. Otherwise, the rest of your parts look just fine.

Lunar15

I saw that there were two fan guides in the OP, but they seem a bit out-dated. Any updated guides that would be good to take a look at? Definitely looking to spend on some quiet fans.

What's a reasonable selling price for (US):

CM 690 II Case
i7 930 @ 3.9 GHz perfectly stable for 4 years
8 GB DDR3 1600 Ram
128 and 256 SSDs
1 TB HDD
ASUS P6X58D-E MB
Corsair TX650
Radeon HD 7970
Windows 8.1 full license.

RGM79

Case Ncase M1 v2

I'll make the same RAM recommendations for you that I made for another person, you stand to save a bit on both parts. 16GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 for $124, or 16GB G.Skill DDR3-2400 for $135.

I don't really keep up with small form factor case designs, but the case looks very nice.

Consider replacing the Corsair H100i with the H105. For $95, it has a larger radiator with better performance, as well as coming with fans that change speed and can run quieter when at low temperature, and still speed up to match the same RPM as the H100i fans and provide better performance. The Corsair H105 will be a tight fit, but is confirmed to fit in the case. Replacing the H105's included fans with slim fans might be a worthwhile idea (H105 radiator and stock fan thickness is about 63mm, the N1 website recommends a total radiator and fan thickness of 60mm but 85mm total space available), but some slim fans tend to be loud.

Edit: Oh, wait. The NCASE M1 has some restrictive PSU and CPU cooler requirements, and my original suggestion won't all fit. Removed the PSU suggestion.

Iacobellis

Reaching the end of it's life so lowered production. We are in the middle time now.

I thought it was because they are just not manufacturing as much anymore as PC sales are down. Plus I remember when you could get 8GB for around $30 there were reports saying that ram prices were so low that manufacturers were making almost no profit.

I thought prices skyrocketed because of a fire at one of the factories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom