• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sickbean

Looking to snag either a 780ti or maybe wait till the 800s come out to replace my 6950.

I've got a Corsair VX550 PSU currently - will this have enough power for pretty much any single-GPU solution still? CPU is an overclocked i5 2500K.

Genio88

I have a Core i7 930. Is it really worth upgrading to a Haswell for gaming or should I just go and upgrade my GPU (580) to a 880? My only concern is to play Witcher 3 at highest setting at above 45 FPS.
If you want to play Witcher 3 at max settings then you definitely need a new gpu, the 880 would be great, whilst your cpu is still decent especially if overclocked, if not i suggest you to overclock it

riflen

They are MSDN Keys and you only get 10 installs with them if I am not mistaken.

This isn't accurate. There's no such thing as an MSDN key. You can get many types of keys as an MSDN subscriber. Some might be retail keys, which are single use and intended for retail (duh). Some might be partner keys, which can be activated multiple times and are intended only for use inside the subscriber's organisation.

I exchanged the gtx 770 at Microcenter for a gtx 780 yesterday so my setup now looks like this:
i5-760 at stock speed 2.8.(can overclock it 3.2 so far).
gtx 780 3gb.
14 gb ram.

Would it be worth it to upgrade my motherboard and cpu to the following:
i5-4670k $189.
Asus Maximus VI Hero Socket LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard $199.

n0tail

Banned
If you want to play Witcher 3 at max settings then you definitely need a new gpu, the 880 would be great, whilst your cpu is still decent especially if overclocked, if not i suggest you to overclock it

Thank you. It's only slightly OC:ed to 3900 as whenever I try to OC it, it increases the RAM Mhz as well and that's weird. I must obviously be doing something wrong.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so guys, I have a question: I'm currently running a 280X, 3570k occ'ed to 4.0, Extreme4 Z77 mobo, am I future proof or would you suggest a new CPU/GPU for games like The Witcher 3?

kharma45

Looking to snag either a 780ti or maybe wait till the 800s come out to replace my 6950.

I've got a Corsair VX550 PSU currently - will this have enough power for pretty much any single-GPU solution still? CPU is an overclocked i5 2500K.

Yes you'll be fine.

so guys, I have a question: I'm currently running a 280X, 3570k occ'ed to 4.0, Extreme4 Z77 mobo, am I future proof or would you suggest a new CPU/GPU for games like The Witcher 3?

Still a potent set up. Look to OC the i5 further, and look to OC your 280X too.

For Witcher 3 wait until it launches. Pointless for us to speculate until then.

cyen

Yes you'll be fine.

yeah, it´s rather pointless to invest in new GPU now for a game that comes out in 2015. Better wait until then because there will be new GPU´s by then.

As already been pointed out a 280x is a great card no need to spend money on a 290x or 780ti.

Renekton

yeah, it´s rather pointless to invest in new GPU now for a game that comes out in 2015. Better wait until then because there will be new GPU´s by then.

As already been pointed out a 280x is a great card no need to spend money on a 290x or 780ti.
It depends on their target res/fps/detail.

I have a 7970, and it's not guaranteed to get 1080p consistent 60fps on higher detail levels. I always make lots of settings compromises.

cyen

It depends on their target res/fps/detail.

I have a 7970, and it's not guaranteed to get 1080p consistent 60fps on higher detail levels. I always make lots of settings compromises.

It really depends on the game, because even with a 290x (lightning) i cant get consistent 60fps with some good AA (crysis 3, Watch Dogs) and if he wants to upgrade to play witcher 3 the better option is to wait for new hardware that will probably appear on Q4 2014\Q1 2015.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Yes you'll be fine.

excellent, thank you. I tried to OC the CPU to 4.2 but it can't hold it. Going to try to OC the GPU now

kennah

Well, as stated earlier I'm not that tech savvy. I've just heard on the grape vine, that if I were to smack in a 780ti I'd run into some problems there. And if I had to replace my CPU I might have to replace my MB as well. But I'm a little clueless in that regard.
Whoever told you that is wrong.
Somebody did answer me but I want more conformation.

I have a 60hz 1920x1200 24 dell monitor and I want to add a second monitor for gaming,

If I get a 120hz 1920x1080 it won't be bad for my system correct?
It'll be fine.
I have a Core i7 930. Is it really worth upgrading to a Haswell for gaming or should I just go and upgrade my GPU (580) to a 880? My only concern is to play Witcher 3 at highest setting at above 45 FPS.
Cpu might be ok. Or it might not. Can't tell the future. Kind of hard recommending any i7 to upgrade at this point. Do it if you really want to. A 780 would be a decent jump from a 580.
Check back in January.

Lkr

does anyone have hard drives on sale this week? i need a new one, running out of space on the ones i have. already have an ssd so i might as well go with a regular one for storage

appaws

Banned
Hey there, PC-Gaf. I have an overclocking related question.

My 2500K is currently running at 4,5GHz @ 1.35V. I have pretty good cooling in my case, so my temps end up being ~55-60C under load. Are there any actual drawbacks to going above this voltage in and of itself or am I fine as long as I stay under 70C?

Also, is there any reason at all to be using offset voltage, really? I can't get it to stick around where I want it to without getting bluescreens under load and I'm not comfortable with it spiking all the way up to 1.45V. Having a manual voltage seems way easier, but what exactly are the tradeoffs? The CPU is idling around 35-37C with manual.

Using offset should not make it jump any higher than you want it to. You have to find the setting for offset that results in the voltage you need when you are running full tilt. So for you, let's say 1.35 is that number that you found using fixed voltage. So you should figure out what offset setting gives 1.35v when you are running at 100%....then offset drops it down when not at 100%....it should not cause spikes to a higher voltage.

So I have a laptop that is coming up to being 3 years old (I know I am in the desktop thread:p). I am looking for some advice:

I have a budget of 750-1000 euros, which I would like to spend on a new laptop or PC. I definitely need a laptop for uni, but I don't know how long laptops typically last.

I am absolutely clueless on building my own PC, and although people say its rather easy, I do not think I have the time to build one myself right now.

What do you guys suggest?

If you only can buy one thing, and you need the laptop for your coursework....then you should head on over to laptop thread and I am sure the fine lads there will help you out.

There is no such thing as future proof. You could squirrel away some money for upgrades down the road a little bit, because your current system is still very capable.

Giggzy

Me either - but you and I have a roster of backup cards on the bench while we wait 2-3 weeks for a replacement. Lots of people would prefer to avoid that. :)

I, too, bought a used mining 290x for $280 on eBay and it has worked flawlessly. If the card was going to die, it would have already when mining. At most you'll have to change the fan if it ever goes out.

If anyone is worried about it just buy from a reputable seller (duh!), and get a brand that has a transferable warranty.

I definitely recommend that route as having a beast of a card for the price of a 760 is fantastic!

For the guy above wanting to max Witcher 3 out, I was reading about this earlier. I read W3 at 1080p settings on a GTX 780 TI only runs Witcher 3 right now at 30-35fps...so yea. Either it's incredibly unoptimized right now or it's going to destroy every modern gaming rig not on an 800 series GPU.

Gumbie

For the guy above wanting to max Witcher 3 out, I was reading about this earlier. CD Projekt said W3 at 1080p settings on a GTX 780 TI only runs Witcher 3 right now at 30-35fps...so yea. Either it's incredibly unoptimized right now or it's going to destroy every modern gaming rig not on an 800 series GPU.

I thought this was some random internet rumor. Where did CD Projekt actually say this?

I thought this was some random internet rumor. Where did CD Projekt actually say this?

Yea, I don't know if I believe this either but I saw it on some gaming news sites. So definitely just look at it as a rumor. I didn't see any direct quotes for them personally. I have a hard time believing it myself but also wouldn't surprise me. They're pretty cutting edge when it comes to PC gaming. But seriously a $700+ GPU right now can barely run the game at 30-35fps at 1080p? I don't know...

I'm pretty sure the footage they showed at E3 was not on PCs either. I believe they were showing the game off on Xbox Ones. If that is true then I'll have to chalk it up as the game just not being optimized right now. If a game is that intensive they would seriously be aiming at a small market.

Rufus

It's almost certainly still un-optimized because it's coming next year (sadly). Secondly, what are "1080p settings" supposed to be? 1080 max, high, medium or low settings?

If you're looking for a reason to upgrade: go ahead. If you're panicking because you don't want to upgrade: it's multi-platform. It's not going to blow up your system.

It's almost certainly still un-optimized because it's coming next year (sadly). Secondly, what are "1080p settings" supposed to be? 1080 max, high, medium or low settings?

If you're looking for a reason to upgrade: go ahead. If you're panicking because you don't want to upgrade: it's multi-platform. It's not going to blow up your system.
I would guess max on that card. 780 Ti can push higher resolutions in most games pretty easily.

Durante

For the guy above wanting to max Witcher 3 out, I was reading about this earlier. I read W3 at 1080p settings on a GTX 780 TI only runs Witcher 3 right now at 30-35fps...so yea. Either it's incredibly unoptimized right now or it's going to destroy every modern gaming rig not on an 800 series GPU.
it was 30-45 FPS, and it was with maximum settings and 8xMSAA. That's actually great performance.

If a game is that intensive they would seriously be aiming at a small market.
They are a PC developer. The game aims at being scalable.

it was 30-45 FPS, and it was with maximum settings and 8xMSAA. That's actually great performance.

They are a PC developer. The game aims at being scalable.

Is that fact though or is it rumor? I don't think it matters at this point in development due to optimizations but I thought it was interesting to read. Makes me more mad about the 800 series. :(

Mrbob

Newegg dropped the Sapphire R290 with Tri X Cooler to 379 today, that is so tempting. I ain't gonna lie though, I really want the Vapor X cooler. However, is it worth a 70 dollar premium? 379 vs 449. This is going to go in the Corsair Air 540 case and I'm going to roll with one GPU so hot air should flow out nicely.

I know the Vapor X is less noisy, but this is going to be for a home theater PC and the box will sit about 8 feet away.

Speaking of Witcher 3, how much FPS should I get on the Witcher 2 with r9 290x 1080p Ultra ?

290X should tear through The Witcher 2.

edit: Card is out of stock.

LilJoka

Got tired of using the Xbox 360 headset tethered to a 360 pad on PC (especially annoying in racing games), so i hacked together a 3.5mm pole to it. Then i connect it to my iPhone for teamspeak. I like this headset purely because i play in my home theatre so i dont like to have audio from the headset, just voice, and need it wireless as im 8 feet away from the PC.

I used my old iPhone handsfree, cut that apart inside:
red wire - right audio
green wire - left audio (unused)
2 x gold wire - ground
red/green twist - ground
Inside the red/green twist is a white cable, this is microphone.

Hook it up to the 360 mic like this:
Mpzm0LR.jpg

Works good! Better audio quality than through the pad too as it isnt limited to some awful bandwidth. Also i made a small hole in the plastic to feed the wire through, this means it still works with my 360 pad too.

RedSwirl

Is the difference between a WD blue and a WD black all that important? I'm looking at Micro Center links and the only difference I can see is that the WD Black uses up slightly less wattage and has a longer warranty.

LilJoka

Is the difference between a WD blue and a WD black all that important? I'm looking at Micro Center links and the only difference I can see is that the WD Black uses up slightly less wattage and has a longer warranty.

Black tends to be a little faster and thus a little louder too.
Main issue is warranty length. I tend to buy the cheapest 7200RPM HDD, currently for 1TB its normally Seagate in the UK. I have range of HDDs now, Hitachi, WD, Seagate.

RedSwirl

Black tends to be a little faster and thus a little louder too.
Main issue is warranty length. I tend to buy the cheapest 7200RPM HDD, currently for 1TB its normally Seagate in the UK. I have range of HDDs now, Hitachi, WD, Seagate.

All the links I see say they both run at 7200RPM and 6GB/s.

LilJoka

All the links I see say they both run at 7200RPM and 6GB/s.

7200RPM yes, 6GB/s irrelevant. There is a lot more to HDDs than just that, such as platter density, number of platters, firmware...
Check some benchmarks, sequential read write, and random read write performance. The black will be a little quicker, nothing huge though.

riflen

Is the difference between a WD blue and a WD black all that important?

For a games PC? Probably not. The Black is designed for Workstations. It has some anti-vibration features and a dual-processor controller that supposedly translates to improved performance. They have a 5 year warranty and are also quite loud.

Whether the differences are important is a question for you.

Wounded

Got my 4790k installed. Come from a i7 950.

Performance on CPU intensive games has massively increased for me, stuff like Far Cry 3 run so, so much better. Getting a new cooler tomorrow too, so looking forward to some overclocking.

RedSwirl

I have another option: moving my current 1TB WD Black from one HDD to the other. I paid $100 for it maybe five years ago and haven't had a single incident with it. It's just that moving the data around would be a bit complex, and I'd have to figure out some things on the old computer afterwards.

Any precautions I should know about moving an internal HDD? If it matters it would be moving from a Vista system to a W7 system.

Jesb

Can someone help me understand why I'm not getting surround sound since going to windows 8? I have my 7970 hooked to my receiver but I'm not getting any sound out of my speakers. Under the control panel and options on sound enabling surround sound is not an option as speakers is not enabled, it says nothing is plugged in under the playback tab of the sound options. My GPU has the latest drivers installed.

LilJoka

Can someone help me understand why I'm not getting surround sound since going to windows 8? I have my 7970 hooked to my receiver but I'm not getting any sound out of my speakers. Under the control panel and options on sound enabling surround sound is not an option as speakers is not enabled, it says nothing is plugged in under the playback tab of the sound options. My GPU has the latest drivers installed.

Did you make sure the HDMI audio driver was checked when installing graphics drivers?
Do you get any sound at all?
Are you using the HDMI from the GPU and not the motherboard?

riflen

I have another option: moving my current 1TB WD Black from one HDD to the other. I paid $100 for it maybe five years ago and haven't had a single incident with it. It's just that moving the data around would be a bit complex, and I'd have to figure out some things on the old computer afterwards.

Any precautions I should know about moving an internal HDD? If it matters it would be moving from a Vista system to a W7 system.

I'm not sure what you meant by "moving my current 1TB WD Black from one HDD to the other". I assume you mean PC not HDD.
If this disk holds only data, you can just install it in the other PC. You should backup the data before you do.

RedSwirl

I'm not sure what you meant by "moving my current 1TB WD Black from one HDD to the other". I assume you mean PC not HDD.
If this disk holds only data, you can just install it in the other PC. You should backup the data before you do.

Yes I meant moving it to another PC. I think I do have a bit of software on it though which I'll have to hunt down. Mostly an old Steam installation.

Jesb

Did you make sure the HDMI audio driver was checked when installing graphics drivers?
Do you get any sound at all?
Are you using the HDMI from the GPU and not the motherboard?

There was not an option to check anything like that when installing the driver. I only get sound out of my tv volume, no sound from my surround sound system. I'm using the hdmi from the gpu, my mobo doesn't even have a hdmi port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom