• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai__

Can I ask what 120hz is important for? Is it the refresh rate? And the higher the hz, the better? One last, how do I check what my monitor is?

Nvidia control panel, if you have a Nvidia card.

Not sure, about AMD (probably somewhere in Catalyst), but you can always google your monitor and look up the specs. :p

So, today I'm getting my new VGA.

For now this is my PC

Sapphire R9 280x Toxic Tri-X OC 3GB
Intel i5 2500k @4,0Ghz
16GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600mhz
Asrock Z77 Pro-4
Crucial M4 128g SSD
2x WD 1TB HDD
Thermaltake NiC L31
Thermaltake Throughpower 750w
Thermaltake V3 Black Edition

Genio88

I'd stick with the 780.

I cannot see a good reason to go with a GTX 780 3gb, the r9 290 has the same performance, actually is a bit faster in mostly games, it has 4gb of gddr5 ram which are gonna be pretty useful, and not least it's considerably cheaper, and driver wise AMD is doing a great job, they're not so behind Nvidia anymore with software. Of course you want to avoid the reference one and go with a custom card, such as the sapphire tri-x which i have and is pretty cool and quiet.

I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium at the moment. Would an Asus Xonar DGX be considered as an upgrade or a downgrade?

I'm getting tired of the microphone glitch :/

Mr Swine

Banned

Diablos

Hey what's a good utility for tying a forced fan speed to a temperature until it drops to your desired level? MSI Afterburner isn't working. My GTX 660 (Twin Frozr MSI) is really overheating, getting up to 90C in some cases. It's a humid week, yes, but central AC is on, no idea why it is getting so hot, my case does suck when it comes to airflow but it never got this bad. Dusted everything out too. I hope the card isn't dying.

I think the DGX is worse in some aspects compared to the Titanium, why not go for the Sound Blaster Z?
I might, but I'm a bit worried about the infamous "microphone glitch", ie everyone on Skype etc. hear everything you hear, crystal clear. But maybe they've fixed this, I don't know.

Would Z be a considerable upgrade from Titanium?

Thanks!

PaulLFC

1. It'd cost more to replace the software I have on disc than the optical drive costs.
2. Same price, but I'm far more familiar with Win7.
3. I'll look into a R9.
An alternative to Win7 (giving you support and updates for a bit longer, probably), is to get Win8 and then either install Classic Shell, which is free but requires a bit of configuration (it did last time I used it anyway), or pay $5 for Start8 which is just install and get the proper start menu back. It can be set to boot to desktop (with start button and menu) as soon as you turn on the PC, so once that's installed, it's basically Win7 + improvements.

I currently have a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950. Looking to upgrade. Is the Gigabyte R9 280x where I want to be to stay in the $300 price point?

tarheel91

I currently have a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950. Looking to upgrade. Is the Gigabyte R9 280x where I want to be to stay in the $300 price point?

280X is just a 7970. Not worth the upgrade. R9 290 or bust (if you can afford the extra $50-70). Don't go for the Gigabyte unless it's significantly cheaper. While the cooler is great, they pulled the heatsink of the 780, and it doesn't perform as well as some of the other brands. Sapphire seems to be the best in terms of performance to cost.

Diablos

Ah, nevermind. Got MSI Afterburner to work.
Really amazing how just a little extra humidity can wreck your cooling. I desperately need a new case with a 80 or 120mm fan blowing air out from right under the card...

kennah

I'm really really tempted.

Doesn't look like they've got any resellers in the UK though.
They've only got a few resellers in the whole world but your best bet is to buy direct - each case is made to spec and are insanely customizable.

Case-labs.net.

Wulfegang

Greetings fellow enthusiasts! I am currently running an EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Dual SuperClocked 4GB and was wondering if I would be better off adding another in SLI or biting the bullet for a GTX 780 Ti.
I would like to use GeDoSaTo for downsampling from 4x to 1920x1080 and eventually move up to a 1440p monitor. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

kennah

Greetings fellow enthusiasts! I am currently running an EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Dual SuperClocked 4GB and was wondering if I would be better off adding another in SLI or biting the bullet for a GTX 780 Ti.
I would like to use GeDoSaTo for downsampling from 4x to 1920x1080 and eventually move up to a 1440p monitor. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Don't bother yet. New stuff should be soonish hopefully. If you can find a hell of a deal then sure try sli.

jett

D-Member
Do you have one of those USB ports that powers even when the PC is off? If I plug anything into that when the PC is off my x750 has a bit of coil whine too.

I dunno, maybe, but there is nothing connected to my PC. And the PSU was whisper quiet the for the first three days of use too...

Wulfegang

Don't bother yet. New stuff should be soonish hopefully. If you can find a hell of a deal then sure try sli.

If you must upgrade now, get a used 780...great price and bang/buck.

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking about waiting for more information about the GTX 880 line that is supposed to make an appearance soon but was just curious about opinions on my current set up. Hopefully we will hear some more information about availability soon.

The Llama

Are the AMD 14.6 beta drivers bad for overclocking? I got my 290 up to 1125MHz core on the 14.4's but since upgrading to 14.6 I had to drop it to 1075MHz because I got artifacting, and then I just ran Furmark again and it BSOD'd after like 5 minutes (it didn't even artifact, just went to a straight BSOD). Games have been fine so I'm not too concerned, but I'd like to get my system stable.

280X is just a 7970. Not worth the upgrade. R9 290 or bust (if you can afford the extra $50-70). Don't go for the Gigabyte unless it's significantly cheaper. While the cooler is great, they pulled the heatsink of the 780, and it doesn't perform as well as some of the other brands. Sapphire seems to be the best in terms of performance to cost.

Thanks for the info. I'll hold off

ValeYard

The problem is when "soonish" is. nvidia could leave us hanging until Q4 :( I hope my google alerts for "800 series" etc. prove otherwise though.

So I'm looking to change up my case in the near future.. It's starting to get a little cramped in there and I want to get a new hdd. Any suggestions for a tower? (preferably a quiet one.)

The Llama

I posted this in the 120/144 Hz thread but I guess I'll mention it here too: Amazon has a pre-order (I *think* its just OOS, but tbf it doesn't say when they'll have it again) for the BenQ XL2411Z for $200. Seems like a great deal considering its $280+ otherwise.

Azzurri

Gold Member
Is a 295x2 a smart investment since the 800 series from nVidia should be coming out soonish?

I really want a mITX build and since I've finally found 2 mITX cases I like that will fit one, I wanted to go ahead and start buying pieces for it.

I figure it will have a pretty high resale value if I decide to sell it down the road, even a year or so later.

kennah

Is a 295x2 a smart investment since the 800 series from nVidia should be coming out soonish?

I really want a mITX build and since I've finally found 2 mITX cases I like that will fit one, I wanted to go ahead and start buying pieces for it.

I figure it will have a pretty high resale value if I decide to sell it down the road, even a year or so later.
Not even close to a smart investment.

But if you can afford it then why not :p

tarheel91

Nope. Suffers from all the crossfire issues.

And you really shouldn't be attempting 4k with an ITX setup.

Fake edit - yet.

Crossfire issues (specifically micro-stuttering) are largely resolved. You're not going to have optimal performance on day one, but that's true for any multi-card setup.

Genio88

No, a crossfire of 2 custom r9 290 custom would be a lot cheaper and have almost the same performance

Akai__

So I'm looking to change up my case in the near future.. It's starting to get a little cramped in there and I want to get a new hdd. Any suggestions for a tower? (preferably a quiet one.)

The OP has some excellent quite solutions. I like the Define R4, a lot (visual and feature wise), but it's about personal preference, so you must decide on your own. :p

The OP has some excellent quite solutions. I like the Define R4, a lot (visual and feature wise), but it's about personal preference, so you must decide on your own. :p

Okay, make fun of me for not reading the OP in detail haha. Going with the Define R4. Thanks for the suggestion!

riflen

Nope. Suffers from all the crossfire issues.

And you really shouldn't be attempting 4k with an ITX setup.

Fake edit - yet.

Yeah, the Crossfire performance for the 295X2 is decent, especially compared to previous multi-GPU AMD products. On a par or better than 780 Ti SLI in some cases it seems.

BF4_3840x2160_PLOT.png

SHADES

Oh wow now I'm getting coil whine on my seasonic x-850 when my is PC turned off, even. I guess I'll just be taking it back.

Do you have one of those USB ports that powers even when the PC is off? If I plug anything into that when the PC is off my x750 has a bit of coil whine too.

I get a kind of screech sound through my headset when my PC powers down (headset connected via front panel usb) but nothing when headset is disconnected, related?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom