• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyomi

Hey guys, i have just ordered all of the following parts for my latest build. I am going to want to max out games for at least the next year or 2. Really looking forward to Dragon Age:Inquisition, Alien:Isolation and The Witcher 3!

Let me know what you think:

i5 4670k
Corsair H100i
Msi z87-gd45 Gaming
16gb Corsair Vengeance
EVGA gtx 770 SC with ACX (2gb) 2xSLI
1tb WD Black HDD
EVGA supernova 1000w G2
Thermaltake Urban S31

Undecided on SSD model and size, any recommendations are welcome.

Cheers guys

Would've rather you went for a single 780 Ti or 290X to be honest. Unless you got a bargain deal there's no reason to go Z87 now. As mentioned above, 1000W is overkill for almost any build bar tri or quad-SLI setups, but I can't blame you for choosing the G2, it might be a PSU for life.

As for SSD, the thread title is your friend! Grab an 256GB or 512GB MX100.

boneso

Would've rather you went for a single 780 Ti or 290X to be honest. Unless you got a bargain deal there's no reason to go Z87 now. As mentioned above, 1000W is overkill for almost any build bar tri or quad-SLI setups, but I can't blame you for choosing the G2, it might be a PSU for life.

As for SSD, the thread title is your friend! Grab an 256GB or 512GB MX100.

Thanks for the reply. The 2 770's beat the 780ti in performance and both together cost me about £200 less than the single ti.

I went for the G45 Gaming as i got a very good sale price deal, same goes for the G2, the 1000w was cheaper than the 850w at the time, so i thought... why the hell not :)

I think i will go for the 256gb MX100, thanks.

Ty4on

The MX100 really is the new Samsung low profile RAM :p

It looked like the prices would stabilize when SSDs started going slightly up in price as the Samsung 830 went out of production, but now I can get a 512GB MX100 for a little more than I payed for my 256GB 830.

Okay this is my first time putting together a build...of anything so please don't be too condescending towards me. =P

Followed the build sheet on the OP, and decided on this. Especially since I really don't live in a huge room so I don't need a big desktop. Any feedback is welcomed. Didn't list a GPU yet but I am settling on a 290/290x.

CPU: i7-4790k
Mobo: GIGABYTE Z97x-gaming7
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB)
SSD: Samsung EVO 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB
SSHD: Seagate 2TB
Case: BitFenix Prodigy/Phenom
PSU: SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W
Heatsink: Corsair H60

Nevermind this.

tarheel91

I did something weird:

So last week I ordered 2x240GB SSD to replace my 1x60GB SSD that was dying. While ordering those, one of my 2x3TB HD that I was using as an overrun and installing larger software died. So I did something without too much research...

I got 2x2TB SSHD that I plan to run mirrored just like my 2x240GB SSD. People have seen interesting success with SSHD performance but can I expect the same sort of performance savings when it comes to mirroring them? My main concern is read performance.

Thanks for the confirmation. I just ordered it. I got the cheapest one on the market... the Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB. I'm not sure why it's significantly cheaper than everything else in the market but I'm sure its something regrettable :( Regardless, the hope is that this will drive my 3440x1440 monitor (...whenever it gets here) on my Bethesda player.

Let me know how a single 290 does on that LG. Considering a similar setup myself. Gigabyte basically used their 780 heatsink on the 290, and it's not an optimal setup. Nothing deal breaking though. It runs a few degrees hotter than the market leading coolers for the card.

Lumine

Two more questions and then I'll probably order guys!

How does the Samsung 840 EVO Basic 250GB SSD compare to the Crucial MX100? It's only 20 euro more at the store I'm ordering from which makes it more cost-effective than the 128GB MX100. It's also in stock!

I also still need an alternative to the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. I might still OC, but it wouldn't be much probably. So anything that's at least quieter than the stock cooler would be great really. As long as it's also easy to install and not too pricey! I guess it would also be nice if it's not too big, but perhaps they all are. Honestly I never expected them to be this big. I'd prefer to pick from these I suppose http://azerty.nl/8-976/processor-.html as I'm ordering everything here and they seem to be cheapest. I could order from another place if I had to though.

Anyway, thanks again guys!

kiyomi

Okay this is my first time putting together a build...of anything so please don't be too condescending towards me. =P

Followed the build sheet on the OP, and decided on this. Especially since I really don't live in a huge room so I don't need a big desktop. Any feedback is welcomed. Didn't list a GPU yet but I am settling on a 290/290x.

CPU: i7-4790k
Mobo: GIGABYTE Z97x-gaming7
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB)
SSD: Samsung EVO 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB
SSHD: Seagate 2TB
Case: BitFenix Prodigy/Phenom
PSU: SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W
Heatsink: Corsair H60

You seem to have a full ATX-size motherboard in an ITX-mATX case (depending on which you go for). You're gonna need to swap it for something like this Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX, or a Mini-ITX equivalent.

jett

D-Member
Oh for fuck's sake I thought my PC was finally fine and now I'm getting coil whine from the Seasonic X-850

To expand on this, last night when I put my computer to sleep I heard a spring-like "boing" or "ping" noise when it turned off. Thought it was weird. Then today I'm hearing the coil whine, and I turned off my PC again and again the same noise. Does anyone have a clue?

ShOcKwAvE

How does the Samsung 840 EVO Basic 250GB SSD compare to the Crucial MX100? It's only 20 euro more at the store I'm ordering from which makes it more cost-effective than the 128GB MX100. It's also in stock!

I also still need an alternative to the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. I might still OC, but it wouldn't be much probably. So anything that's at least quieter than the stock cooler would be great really. As long as it's also easy to install and not too pricey! I guess it would also be nice if it's not too big, but perhaps they all are.

1) The Samsung might be faster in a lot of cases, but not any difference that you'd notice. I think the MX100 is such an awesome value that you can't go wrong. EDIT - Defintely get at least 250gb since the smaller models are slower.

2) Why do you need an alternative? If you enable the PVM functionality, it will run really quiet until you try OC-ing and crank the voltage. Did I miss some past comment you made?

kennah

1) The Samsung might be faster in a lot of cases, but not any difference that you'd notice. I think the MX100 is such an awesome value that you can't go wrong. EDIT - Defintely get at least 250gb since the smaller models are slower.

2) Why do you need an alternative? If you enable the PVM functionality, it will run really quiet until you try OC-ing and crank the voltage. Did I miss some past comment you made?

Store he is buying from is out of stock on that cooler.

Use the stock cooler until one comes in.

Lumine

Alright. I sent a mail to the store if they happen to get the Crucial earlier than 10 days. If not, I'll go for the Samsung.

Well I'm currently looking for alternatives because I'm unsure about the 212 evo. The install looks like quite the hassle and I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to building PCs, let alone installing CPU coolers. Also it's currently out of stock at the store I wanted to order it from.
Someone recommended me the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo as a cheaper, easier to install alternative to the 212 Evo if I don't want to OC. Website comments have people complaining about it being hard to install though. So not sure what to believe.
I've also been looking at the DeepCool GammaXX 300, which seems to be an even cheaper alternative. It also looks kinda neat I suppose. :p
Then again, if I'm spending 1000+ anyway, I'm not gonna worry too much about spending 10 or 20 more or less. I've also been looking at the Scythe Shuriken Rev.B, Noctua NH-L9i, DeepCool Neptwin and finally the Cooler Master Hyper 412s as alternatives. Though that last one is also out of stock. No idea how they compare otherwise though. My priorities are that it's silent and installs easily.

Store he is buying from is out of stock on that cooler.

Use the stock cooler until one comes in.

I suppose that is an option, but not one I'm comfortable with. That 212 Evo would have me disassemble my whole case, mobo and everything in order to install it. :(

Drake

All the parts came in today except for my case. For some reason that shipped from California when all the other parts shipped for NJ (Newegg). So now I get to stare at $1500 in computer components for the next 2 days. *cries*

kiyomi

I suppose that is an option, but not one I'm comfortable with. That 212 Evo would have me disassemble my whole case, mobo and everything in order to install it. :(

It just gives you another reason to open up your computer and be like "wow, look at all this sweet shit I bought". Don't be afraid of opening it up again. I've heard the 212 Evo can be a bitch to assemble with only one pair of hands, but it's still pretty straightforward AFAIK.

The Llama

All the parts came in today except for my case. For some reason that shipped from California when all the other parts shipped for NJ (Newegg). So now I get to stare at $1500 in computer components for the next 2 days. *cries*

This exact same thing happened to me with Newegg few years ago (I'm in PA). Its the worst feeling.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Been clicking on an S3 build thread on OC.NET for a while now, and just last night realized his photos aren't in the gallery, but rather the end of the thread. This is absolutely gorgeous... possibly my favorite build ever.

LL

LL

LL

Schryver

I did something weird:
Thanks for the confirmation. I just ordered it. I got the cheapest one on the market... the Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB. I'm not sure why it's significantly cheaper than everything else in the market but I'm sure its something regrettable :( Regardless, the hope is that this will drive my 3440x1440 monitor (...whenever it gets here) on my Bethesda player.

I'm assuming you got it for about $340? Yeah I was looking at that too. The pre-overclocked version is $400 which I am considering. Not sure how much performance is lost without the overclock and not sure if it can easily be made up by self-overclocking. I wish I would have been looking for my GPU last week when the Sapphire http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJOXUKC/?tag=neogaf0e-20 dropped to $370. I'm tempted to wait a couple weeks to see if it happens again but I should have all my other parts by Wednesday :/

jett

D-Member
Yea, sucks. My Corsair does that since i bought it. I got used to it : /

It sucks because I bought this PSU precisely because it was allegedly noiseless on idle, after suffering a noisy XFX. This is nothing like that, but it just sucks that I apparently can't get anything right with this build.

Try increasing the voltage on your GPU ever so slightly higher. Also put in a frame rate limiter to like 150.

I dunno how comfortable I feel with doing something like that...

Put your mobo, psu, cpu, cooler, and ram together and try to boot it. By the time you get your case at least you'll know that it all works. And if you're on an air cooler, that's one less thing you have to do before you put it in the case.

mkenyon

Banned
If you ever decide you want to dive into proper watercooling, you can later add a pedestal for it which will allow you to fit plenty of rads for a nice quiet build too.

500x1000px-LL-cda2a598_55s3ped280x2pump.jpeg

27-300x292.jpg

My favorite S3 build, Snef's Purple Chimera:

b67abf1d_purplechimera-26_zps217bf4d2.jpeg

Damaniel

Banned
Been clicking on an S3 build thread on OC.NET for a while now, and just last night realized his photos aren't in the gallery, but rather the end of the thread. This is absolutely gorgeous... possibly my favorite build ever.

Not really a fan of the white case, but the organization is neat and tidy as fuck. I approve, and only wish my own build was half as tidy as that.

Azzurri

Gold Member
If you ever decide you want to dive into proper watercooling, you can later add a pedestal for it which will allow you to fit plenty of rads for a nice quiet build too.

27-300x292.jpg

I was just gonna say, you can buy the pedestal if you want the extra space for water cooling.

I like the dimensions w/o since it's only 14'' tall

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

27-300x292.jpg

You probably have a better view of everything that's out there... what's your favorite build, period?

Leatherface

PC GAF, I need some advice. I want to start upgrading my computer as it's starting to get on the old(ish) side, I'm on a limited budget so I have to do this a little at a time. How do you think I should approach this? Graphics first or motherboard/processor? Before you answer let me give you a lay of the land:

Current Build:

Processor: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield Quad-Core 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W
Motherboard: ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Graphics: EVGA Nvidia 560ti x2 in SLI
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800)
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D (CC650DW-1) Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid
OS HD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series SSD 256GB
Storage HD's: (x4) Western Digital Scorpio Black 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
Power Supply: CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V

So I feel like I'm starting to get bottlenecked by my CPU/Motherboard at this point. But I also want to upgrade my video card situation. I think running 2 560ti's in SLI is a big ol' waste of power for the performance I'm getting (which is good but nothing a single card couldn't handle easily at this point). It may be worthwhile to sell my two cards and invest in a more modern single card solution.

So my question to all of you is this. What should I take care of first motherboard/processor or graphics? What do you think would have the most short term inpact? Also, what is the new hotness for the current price/performance threshold (motherboard/CPU/graphics)

mkenyon

Banned
Videocard. The 760 is a great value, and the 780 is a great value. The 290 is the absolute best in terms of price:performance, but lacks G-Sync capability.

I'd recommend going with a 3GB+ card though, so the 780 or 290 is where I'd go with a more high-end build like yours.

Leatherface

Videocard. The 760 is a great value, and the 780 is a great value. The 290 is the absolute best in terms of price:performance, but lacks G-Sync capability.

I'd recommend going with a 3GB+ card though, so the 780 or 290 is where I'd go with a more high-end build like yours.

Exactly my line of thought. Thanks.

mkenyon

Banned
Absolutely.

Since you're on the enthusiast socket, you might consider waiting for Haswell-E to see how that shakes out. There should be a ~$300 proc with 6 cores, and the platform will be using DDR4.

Leatherface

Absolutely.

Since you're on the enthusiast socket, you might consider waiting for Haswell-E to see how that shakes out. There should be a ~$300 proc with 6 cores, and the platform will be using DDR4.

Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't researched since I bought my last MOBO/CPU (Which was 2010 haha) so I've been out of the loop. It's always nice to have a little direction from a fellow enthusiast. Now I have something to start looking into. Much appreciated. :)

kennah

Snef's builds are amazing. And if you're quick/pay attention you can buy them when he parts them out on the DazMode forums.

Going through the same thing right now. My CPU is shipping from canada for what ever reason, when all my other stuff arrived on friday. Its supposed to arrive tomorrow though so I won't have to wait much longer..

Hollycat

So I bought this computer:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314535

I think the 840m graphics card isn't working and it's using integrated thus even on Borderlands 1 I can't get past 15fps at max graphics. Additionally, when I try to upgrade my Nvidia Drivers in case that turns it on, I get this message:

The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.

Is my computer weaker than I thought it was, or am I a dingdong?
Any help would be appreciated.

Pachimari

Guys, I have a HDTV and monitors connected to my computer, but is there a way I can have both the volume of the tv and the computer in the Windows 7 taskbar?

So that I don't have to go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound all the time.

Josman

Is 60°C for a 4670k at 99% load on prime95 normal?
Cooler is a hyper 212 EVOm room temperature is about 20°C, case is a beautiful Corsair 350d (mATX) with stock fans.

Also another question: when I play Skyrim I open realtemp side by side and it shows drops in the CPU frequency, sometimes it downclocks to 2000-2500, not all the time but it's something I've noticed.

Thanks

So I bought this computer:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314535

I think the 840m graphics card isn't working and it's using integrated thus even on Borderlands 1 I can't get past 15fps at max graphics. Additionally, when I try to upgrade my Nvidia Drivers in case that turns it on, I get this message:

The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.

Is my computer weaker than I thought it was, or am I a dingdong?
Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745783

These guys may be more helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom