• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone use Asus AI Suite 3 for software overclocking?

Just got a new Asus Z97-A with a Devil's Canyon i5 4690K.

Been a while since I've OC'ed anything, but I remember software overclocks used to be frowned upon.
However seems like lots of people out there say Asus' optimization software OC actually works well. I'm curious if anyone has experience with this.

kennah

So I bought this computer:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314535

I think the 840m graphics card isn't working and it's using integrated thus even on Borderlands 1 I can't get past 15fps at max graphics. Additionally, when I try to upgrade my Nvidia Drivers in case that turns it on, I get this message:

The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.

Is my computer weaker than I thought it was, or am I a dingdong?
Any help would be appreciated.
840m isn't a gaming card. Also that's a ultra low volt processor.

You're probably getting appropriate performance. None of the parts are intended for gaming. They are for office and other productivity stuff.

Stubo

I built my friend a new pc earlier. His 4690k overclocked to 4.4ghz at 1.190v, that seemed about the sweet spot for having it stable while not at crazy temps.

However, during the small FFTs test in prime95 2 of the cores were nudging 90 degrees with a Noctua NH-U12S cooler. It was a way under 80 degrees using the blend test though so I was quite happy to let him take it home like that.

Thoughts? I'm feeling kinda slightly underwhelmed with the 4690k. All of the talking up of the heat transfer is behind this of course.

Edit: Small FFTs doesn't make anything like that much of a difference vs blend on my 3570k, strange.

mkenyon

Banned
That's the thing, it's at stock clocks (3.8 with the intel boost thing). I don't think I'm gonna have a lot of room for OC'ing.
It's safe through the 80s. You're fine.
I built my friend a new pc earlier. His 4690k overclocked to 4.4ghz at 1.190v, that seemed about the sweet spot for having it stable while not at crazy temps.

However, during the small FFTs test in prime95 2 of the cores were nudging 90 degrees with a Noctua NH-U12S cooler. It was a way under 80 degrees using the blend test though so I was quite happy to let him take it home like that.

Thoughts? I'm feeling kinda slightly underwhelmed with the 4690k. All of the talking up of the heat transfer is behind this of course.

Edit: Small FFTs doesn't make anything like that much of a difference vs blend on my 3570k, strange.
I always get significantly higher temps on Small FFT. Nudging 90 is fine. It's not going to be anywhere near that in games.

Hollycat

840m isn't a gaming card. Also that's a ultra low volt processor.

You're probably getting appropriate performance. None of the parts are intended for gaming. They are for office and other productivity stuff.

It just seems like really low performance for a game that looks almost exactly the same at minimum and runs on last gen consoles pretty well.

I'm actually getting 15fps in fyrestone at medium-low settings in Borderlands 1.

Stubo

It's safe through the 80s. You're fine.

I always get significantly higher temps on Small FFT. Nudging 90 is fine. It's not going to be anywhere near that in games.
Yeah that's what I'm hoping! I've told him to keep something open in the background while he's playing stuff to keep tabs on the max temps. Should be all good (besides the DOA optical drive - probably the best/easiest to resolve part to be dead though!)

jett

D-Member
As in, you fear issues? You shouldn't.

CaseLabs Mercury S3.

Well it doesn't matter in the end, the voltage is locked on my Gigabyte 280X.

The high pitch nature of coil whine makes this shit almost as unbearable as a PSU with a loud fan.

And can someone explain the spring noise in the PSU when I turn off the computer? What the shit is that?

G.Newell

Regarding monitors what do people think is best, a 1440p monitor or those new 21:9 monitors? Leaning towards the 21:9 monitors as they look like they would enhance the game more but i've never actually seen a 1440p monitor before so im not sure.

tarheel91

Regarding monitors what do people think is best, a 1440p monitor or those new 21:9 monitors? Leaning towards the 21:9 monitors as they look like they would enhance the game more but i've never actually seen a 1440p monitor before so im not sure.

tumblr_inline_n0utzbZyR81rjw0ve.gif

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1040788-REG/lg_electronics_34um95_34_ultrawide_qhd_led.html

Azulsky

16:10 master race.

But 21:9 is nice.

21:9 Monitors for life (when my current 16:9 breaks). I don't even own one but I have been using custom resolutions at aspect ratio that for a while now.

I have a question.

When can I tell when I need to put a new coat of thermal paste on my CPU? My CPU runs at 60 degrees at all times. While everything else in my PC is 30-40 degrees. I've had my PC for over 1.5 years if that matters.

I heard that windows 8.1 has some issues with games, is this true?

Especially older games?

I use Win8.1, and I've only had 1 game so far that I had problems with. Dead Rising 2. I just had to change my audio settings. Don't know why this fixes it, but it's a problem that only Win8 users had with it. Other games are as simple as needing to change compatibility mode, to Win7 instead of Win8 on the games .exe file.

After that every game has been smooth, and I've played over 60 on my PC.

I'm looking for the ability of building a steam stream client box that can generate 1080p@60fps display on a wired connection.

I have a good gaming PC and want to get a comfy couch setup in the living room

Can anyone point me to an article for a proven build or something slog those lines. The information tried to find has been very sketchy

Pachimari

I'm about to head out and buy my 3rd monitor for my PC, but I'm not sure how I should connect it all. I have a Evga GTX 780 installed, and this is how it's set up:

HDMI > HDTV
DVI-D > Monitor #1
DVI-I > Monitor #2

It now have a Displayport available as the last port. Should I buy a Displayport>DVI cable with my 3rd monitor?

eek5

I'm about to head out and buy my 3rd monitor for my PC, but I'm not sure how I should connect it all. I have a Evga GTX 780 installed, and this is how it's set up:

HDMI > HDTV
DVI-D > Monitor #1
DVI-I > Monitor #2

It now have a Displayport available as the last port. Should I buy a Displayport>DVI cable with my 3rd monitor?

Why not just get a monitor that supports displayport?

Genio88

A few page behind someone told me that the FX 8350 wasn't a good CPU for gaming, but instead more a server CPU, and also that it could be compared to an i3 in performance rather than i5 or i7. So even if i'm playing enough well with it and my r9 290, besides some drops in a few games from time to time, i was about to pull the trigger changing my AM3+/FX 8350 with a Z97/i7 4770k, but yesterday i've seen this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE
So which is the truth? is the i7 4770k with 4 cores plus hiperthreading better than the AMD 8 cores(like new consoles) FX 8350 for future gaming or not?
PS: in the video he's comparing it with a 3770k but it should be almost the same of the 4770k.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
A few page behind someone told me that the FX 8350 wasn't a good CPU for gaming, but instead more a server CPU, and also that it could be compared to an i3 in performance rather than i5 or i7. So even if i'm playing enough well with it and my r9 290, besides some drops in a few games from time to time, i was about to pull the trigger changing my AM3+/FX 8350 with a Z97/i7 4770k, but yesterday i've seen this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE
So which is the truth? is the i7 4770k with 4 cores plus hiperthreading better than the AMD 8 cores(like new consoles) FX 8350 for future gaming or not?
PS: in the video he's comparing it with a 3770k but it should be almost the same of the 4770k.
Don't post videos that would cause someone to commit a homicide.

4770K/4790K 100%. No questions. I swear I will start an Indiegogo to get Russian botnets to downvote that piece of click bait faked shit video into oblivion.

4770K/4790K 100%. No questions. I swear I will start an Indiegogo to get Russian botnets to downvote that piece of click bait faked shit video into oblivion.

Translation, Tek Sydicate did a really bad non-scientific review that should not be taken seriously. I think they even used different graphics cards and compared different games instead of Tomb Raider on AMD vs Intel. Most of us have no allegiances to Intel and would like to support AMD if we could, but when it comes to CPU performance, they are just not even close to Intel. Since the Core 2 Duo came out, it hasn't been a contest really.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Lol, I took the day off and I've spent a solid four or five hours just lusting over new computer stuff.

If it were up to me, I'd be charging a 4K monitor, a Herman Miller chair, a new 850 Pro, a Titan Z, some new rigid tubing and fittings, a new sound card, new headphones, new speakers, lol... I feel like I throw money at gaming and will never have half the things I want. Makes it exciting, I guess :)

Anyhoo, my current infatuation; the $799 In Win S-Frame. Totally ridiculous. It only has room for a 360 radiator, it would be noisy, it would collect dust... could you even move it? Who knows. But man, I'd love, love, love to build in it.

in-win-sframe-4.jpg

My current build idea:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB AMP! Edition
Case: RAIDMAX Agusta (I know, but I like the big gaudy thing :p)
PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer
Bluetooth/Wifi: GIGABYTE Model GC-WB867D-I Bluetooth 4.0/WiFi Expansion Card*

Total: $1341.82 (budget 1327.07)
*Free with mobo

future upgrades: a SSD, a second GPU for SLI, better RAM, maybe additional HDDs for storage. Any opinions (other than the case sucks ;p)? Building this as something that I'll have for years down the road and mostly for gaming.

appaws

Banned
My current build idea:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB AMP! Edition
Case: RAIDMAX Agusta (I know, but I like the big gaudy thing :p)
PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer
Bluetooth/Wifi: GIGABYTE Model GC-WB867D-I Bluetooth 4.0/WiFi Expansion Card*

Total: $1341.82 (budget 1327.07)
*Free with mobo

future upgrades: a SSD, a second GPU for SLI, better RAM, maybe additional HDDs for storage. Any opinions (other than the case sucks ;p)? Building this as something that I'll have for years down the road and mostly for gaming.

1. Drop the optical drive, useless in 2014.
2. Get Windows 8.1. Why buy the outdated OS at this point?
3. Drop that 780 and buy a better brand R9 290. It will equal the 780 and give you enough savings to easily buy an SSD now instead of waiting.
4. Get 8gig of ram instead of 16.
5. Buy a nice 256gig Mx100.

2. Get Windows 8.1. Why buy the outdated OS at this point?
3. Drop that 780 and buy a better brand R9 290. It will equal the 780 and give you enough savings to easily buy an SSD now instead of waiting.
4. Get 8gig of ram instead of 16.
5. Buy a nice 256gig Mx100.

1. It'd cost more to replace the software I have on disc than the optical drive costs.
2. Same price, but I'm far more familiar with Win7.
3. I'll look into a R9.

The only reasons to not get an optical drive still is if you are going for a form factor that just can't fit it or already have an external one that you don't mind dicking around with when you need to use it. It's usage is shrinking but for the cost of one it is still better to have it then not if you realize you need it for something.

Tablo

1. It'd cost more to replace the software I have on disc than the optical drive costs.
2. Same price, but I'm far more familiar with Win7.
3. I'll look into a R9.

Its windows, wont take you long at all to familiarize yourself with 8.1 and tweak it as needed... going for W7 is a mistake.

Tablo

I'll be the first to back it my friend, that video makes my blood boil.

lexi

Banned
If it's between non-reference R9 290 vs 780 non ti, there's no question IMO. R9.

The equation changes a bit if you can comfortably afford a 780ti.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Depends if the feature set and power/heat of the 780 converts you over the R9 290.
Hard to be the raw performance you get from the 290 right now though.

Grayman

good news: my mx100 and steelseries rival came in the mail today
bad news: on a fresh windows 7 install my BenQ xl2420t can no longer display 120hz. attempting to set it puts the screen in an endless loop of no signal.

The monitor was green at first but reseting to factory fixed that.

I have updated nvidia drivers, grabbed the monitor driver off windows update, it shows in the control panel as named but i cannot check "hide modes this monitor cannot display", and tried different combinations of plugging and unplugging my monitors.

Sickbean

Why oh why did that Mercury S3 case have to get posted?

Never heard of it before but now I want one and am liable to get dragged all the way down the rabbit hole.

jett

D-Member
Oh wow now I'm getting coil whine on my seasonic x-850 when my is PC turned off, even. I guess I'll just be taking it back.

Pachimari

Can I ask what 120hz is important for? Is it the refresh rate? And the higher the hz, the better? One last, how do I check what my monitor is?

Addnan

Oh wow now I'm getting coil whine on my seasonic x-850 when my is PC turned off, even. I guess I'll just be taking it back.

Do you have one of those USB ports that powers even when the PC is off? If I plug anything into that when the PC is off my x750 has a bit of coil whine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom