• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irobot82

With the new Eyefinity you're supposed to be able to create custom resolution for mixed monitors. Anyone have any luck with 2 monitors one verticle on horizontal? When i get to the part where it wants to aling my monitors it flips the second horizontal and I cannot adjust it.

scogoth

With the new Eyefinity you're supposed to be able to create custom resolution for mixed monitors. Anyone have any luck with 2 monitors one verticle on horizontal? When i get to the part where it wants to aling my monitors it flips the second horizontal and I cannot adjust it.

You don't need eyefinity for two monitors in two different orientations. Windows will handle that just fine. Unless you want to game with both monitors but that would be the weirdest gaming experience ever.

The custom resolution option is so you can use monitors of different resolutions/dpi in eyefinity which requires all monitors be in the same orientation.

Calibus

I have a boot up issue that perhaps someone here may be able to assist with:

I have a GA-Z97X-UD3H mobo, an i5-4690K LGA 1150 CPU, DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD7950 GPU, SSD, and 2TB HDD, Corsair TX750 V2 power supply in a Corsair Air 540 case. EDIT: Windows 8.1 64-bit OS.

From a cold, completely unpowered state, I press the power button and the systems boots up briefly (about 10 seconds) then switches itself off, then after about 3-5 seconds it powers back up again, runs for another 10 seconds, then shuts itself off. Only way I can get it to power up correctly is to time pressing and holding in the reset button when power first runs to the PC. Weirdest part is that it restarts/wakes from hibernate just fine.

I have gone through all of the power settings in BIOS, reseated everything and even switched power supplies -- same problem.

Any ideas?

scogoth

I have a boot up issue that perhaps someone here may be able to assist with:

I have a GA-Z97X-UD3H mobo, an i5-4690K LGA 1150 CPU, DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD7950 GPU, SSD, and 2TB HDD, Corsair TX750 V2 power supply in a Corsair Air 540 case.

From a cold, completely unpowered state, I press the power button and the systems boots up briefly (about 10 seconds) then switches itself off, then after about 3-5 seconds it powers back up again, runs for another 10 seconds, then shuts itself off. Only way I can get it to power up correctly is to time pressing and holding in the reset button when power first runs to the PC. Weirdest part is that it restarts/wakes from hibernate just fine.

I have gone through all of the power settings in BIOS, reseated everything and even switched power supplies -- same problem.

Any ideas?

I would say it sounds like a heat issue other than the fact that you can eventually get it started. Maybe its a short in the power switch? Is there a power button on the motherboard that you can use with the power switch header unplugged?

So I'm considering picking up the ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q monitor when it releases this month. it seems to be a really good monitor (first review) with G-Sync so even if I'm not taking advantage of the high frame rates, should be pretty smooth.

nIT.jpg

I've only gamed at 1080 @ 60Hz, so my question is whether I'll be able to take much advantage of this 1440 monitor with my current rig:

CPU: i5-3570K (oc @ 4.5GHz)
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC

Does anyone else game at 1440 with a 780 or what are folks opinion? Should I oc my 780 more than the factory oc? I plan on updating my graphics card to 8XX/9XX when ever the Oculus Rift CV1 is released, but not until then.

Calibus

I would say it sounds like a heat issue other than the fact that you can eventually get it started. Maybe its a short in the power switch? Is there a power button on the motherboard that you can use with the power switch header unplugged?

Unless I am completely overlooking it or the mobo documentation is leaving it out then I don't think this particular board has a power switch.

EDIT: Although you did bring up a good point -- I could try installing everything in my old case to see if perhaps it is a short in the new case itself.

Irobot82

You don't need eyefinity for two monitors in two different orientations. Windows will handle that just fine. Unless you want to game with both monitors but that would be the weirdest gaming experience ever.

The custom resolution option is so you can use monitors of different resolutions/dpi in eyefinity which requires all monitors be in the same orientation.

With Eyefinity 2.0 you're supposed to be able to use part of a second monitor.

dragonage.jpg

LIke this but with two monitors of different sizes. And the new version is supposed to be able to only fill part of your second monitor if it isn't the correct size.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Ugh my newly acquired Gigabyte Windforce 290 is suffering from the black screen issue.

Anyone know any fixes for it or should I just make an RMA?

Got mine and was getting this until I gave each 8pins its own voltage rail and it worked splendidly. Don't use a cable coming out of your psu with two 8pins coming out of it. While that worked for my gtx 670, it won't provide enough amps to drive the 290.

scogoth

With Eyefinity 2.0 you're supposed to be able to use part of a second monitor.

dragonage.jpg

LIke this but with two monitors of different sizes. And the new version is supposed to be able to only fill part of your second monitor if it isn't the correct size.

Huh never seen it like that, I've only seen it like this

Eyefinity%20Bezel%20comp.png

EDIT: Can you link where it says you can have mixed orientation? All my research says that it is not possible without using extra software with games in window mode or you have to have monitors that support orientation change at the hardware level.

I figured this might be the place to ask without starting a new thread.

The left fan on my 560Ti Twin Frozr II has been having problems for the last year or so where it'll make horrible grinding noises at high speeds, but now it happens all the time. Currently I've got the fan taped up so it doesn't spin. Are there any options for repairing/replacing the cooling system on the card or anything? I really do not have £150-200 to blow on another graphics card and the warranty is long expired.

tarheel91

Ugh my newly acquired Gigabyte Windforce 290 is suffering from the black screen issue.

Anyone know any fixes for it or should I just make an RMA?

Could you explain a little more clearly what you mean by black screen? There are several things it could mean.

scogoth

I figured this might be the place to ask without starting a new thread.

The left fan on my 560Ti Twin Frozr II has been having problems for the last year or so where it'll make horrible grinding noises at high speeds, but now it happens all the time. Currently I've got the fan taped up so it doesn't spin. Are there any options for repairing/replacing the cooling system on the card or anything? I really do not have £150-200 to blow on another graphics card and the warranty is long expired.

Absolutely do not do this. Make sure that everything is clean and that you fans aren't hitting dust or buildup. Look at them while running to see exactly what the fans are hitting, it it is a wire then move the wire away. If you can't find any obvious cause then you can buy an aftermarket GPU cooler.

Hi

I am thinking about getting a 4k Display (samsung 28"). Currently I have a 7970 3gb, 32gb and a i7 2700k. I am a rather casual gamer but I don't know wether the card can do 4k at all. Will the 7970 be enough?

.pettersson

scogoth

Hi

I am thinking about getting a 4k Display (samsung 28"). Currently I have a 7970 3gb, 32gb and a i7 2700k. I am a rather casual gamer but I don't know wether the card can do 4k at all. Will the 7970 be enough?

.pettersson

If you play mostly casual games or indie games that don't have crazy graphics you are fine. You can play modern games as well but with lower framerate.

Absolutely do not do this. Make sure that everything is clean and that you fans aren't hitting dust or buildup. Look at them while running to see exactly what the fans are hitting, it it is a wire then move the wire away. If you can't find any obvious cause then you can buy an aftermarket GPU cooler.

Cleaning is always the first thing I've done, but it never stops the horrible noise. This is exactly what it sounds like (but louder). If I can get an aftermarket cooler do you know of any that would fit my card? I have literally no idea what I should be looking for.

scogoth

Cleaning is always the first thing I've done, but it never stops the horrible noise. This is exactly what it sounds like (but louder). If I can get an aftermarket cooler do you know of any that would fit my card? I have literally no idea what I should be looking for.

That's just crappy fans, sounds like they've become off balance or something. You can try and replace the fans if you want, they are Power Logic PLD08010s12hh http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=PLD08010S12HH

If you want to go for a full replacement look at the Arctic Accelero Series, http://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/products/cooling/vga.html?gpu_cooler_type=119

Hawk269

Are you kidding right? a 3930k is a beast of cpu, overkill for gaming even at stock speed, of course achieve 4k and 60fps right now is almost impossible, GPUs are not good enough, unless you spend almost 4000$ in a 4 way sli of 780 ti/titan black

Let's not blow shit out of proportion. It's not impossible. You don't need 4 way SLI for 4k/60fps. I am doing 4k/60fps in majority of games on SLI Titan's. Yeah, there are a few games that cant, but 4-way does not scale well enough to make a difference. I know some are getting good results on 3-way SLI, but for me, right now, 2xSLI has been going pretty damn good at 4k/60fps.

Lime

Got mine and was getting this until I gave each 8pins its own voltage rail and it worked splendidly. Don't use a cable coming out of your psu with two 8pins coming out of it. While that worked for my gtx 670, it won't provide enough amps to drive the 290.

Both my 8 pin PCI-E cables are separate cables. Running a Corsair TX650W.

tarheel91

Screen goes blank and PC freezes, only option is hard reboot. Its a well know issue with 290/290x, especially those with Elpida memory.

Right, I know about that issue. However, you get also get black screens from not having enough power/voltage at a certain core/memory clock. The PC doesn't freeze and it doesn't require a hard reboot.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Both my 8 pin PCI-E cables are separate cables. Running a Corsair TX650W.

Was there ever a time it was working fine, and also, do you have it overclocked?

Also a thing of note: Windows detected my 290 and installed AMD 200 series drivers. Things were going fine and then I uninstalled my old Nvidia drivers and started getting black screens with only the mouse cursor visible. I had to go into safe mode and uninstall my 200 series drivers, download catalyst, boot back into normal mode so that windows can re-detect my 200 series drivers and that fixed that black screen issue. I installed my catalyst drivers after that and its been pretty sweet for the last couple of days. I ran many synthetic bench marks and the card would run maxed out with no stability or graphics issues.

Dries

So guys, to Vdroop or not to Vdroop? I just read a lot about it and to me it seems like a good thing to have enabled... The extra protection it gurantees to your CPU sounds great. I've also read that, somtimes, without Vdroop, your Vcore will exceed whatever you have set it at. Not good imo.

some reading to back this up:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2404/5
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2404/6

Maybe some backround info: My case is just a simple overvclock on a i5 2500K. So no extreme expert 1337 OC'ing.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Can someone recommend me which type of Anti-Aliasing should I be using in games that allow one to choose from the types? Assassins Creed 4 has MSAA, FXAA, SSAA and what not. I have no clue what to use. I just don't want a massive performance hit.

Lumine

You don't want to mess with the heatsink. They installed it correctly, with the fan oriented in the correct position.

Good to know, thanks! :)

Huh, I've got my msi n780 connected with one cable that has 2 6+2 connectors on it. Is it better to use 2 seperate cables for this?

Hawk269

Can someone recommend me which type of Anti-Aliasing should I be using in games that allow one to choose from the types? Assassins Creed 4 has MSAA, FXAA, SSAA and what not. I have no clue what to use. I just don't want a massive performance hit.

The best thing to do is pick one, run your game with fraps or something that shows the frame rate and then decide which one you like the best with the least impact. Choosing AA is really up to the end user as some people don't like certain AA solutions like FXAA for example, while others like it.

I typically try different ones that gives me good IQ and good performance. It is also different for almost every single game, so there is a lot of trial and error involved.

The Llama

I'm guessing the answer is impossible to say, but I'm curious what you guys think of my overclocking situation. I have my 4790k at 4.5GHz and I can run Prime95 stable for 8 hours+ and get temps in the high 70's (peak around 83 but only for split seconds). But if I run OCCT and do the Small Data Set, my temps are low 80's and after half an hour or so they usually spike up to 90-91 for a split second and the test shuts down. Realistically, I'm fine, right?

FXAA is the "cheapest" in terms of performance but most people don't really like the way it looks (it basically just blurs the picture). MSAA is one of the best looking but most taxing on your GPU.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
There are some utility for closed loop water...small form factor to give case some breathing room (noctua and hyper are big), noob-friendly installation and keeping cpu heat out of case ambient.
Yeah for sure, but I just want to point out the performance jumps from water now on Intel are very minimal. It's more for looks, weight, etc.
$289.79 + Free shipping @ Amazon Warehouse

FOB5QdOl.jpg
Geez, even cheaper now. Don't even care if they were mined on if they have the 3yr warranty.
dear god my new PC is a beast. I get 110-120 fps on the Witcher 2 with everything maxed at 1920x1080. I get 55-60 FPS with everything maxed and ubersampling on. I used to get 25fps at 720p with all the settings turned down on my old rig. This is quite the step up for me.

In case anyone was wondering I upgraded from a Core 2 Duo E7300, a GTX 460 and 4 GB of RAM to a 4790k, a GTX 780 and 16 GB of RAM.
That's a jump.
I've got a very annoying problem with my PC's RAM. I hope this is the right thread for this.

First my system:
CPU: i7 975 XE
Motherboard: Asus P6T WS Pro
RAM: Corsair 6 GB Triple Kit (TR3X6G1333C9) [got two kits, making it 12 GB]

The issue:
I recently decided to upgrade my memory from 6 GB to 12 GB. Been using 6 GB (3x 2GB models) of the aforementioned memory nearly 2 years without a single incident. Never had a blue sceen once and PC never behaved strange before. TR3X6G1333C9 can be even found in the Qualified Vendor List for my mainboard. It says the mainboard supports six modules of that RAM inserted into both slots as two set of Triple-channel memory configuration. Both the mainboard and the CPU can support a total of up to 24 GB RAM.
So I bought another Triple Kit of the exact same RAM I've been using all along and installed it in the remaining slots of my mainboard.

The problem is: it only recognizes 12 GB after a warm boot. After a cold boot it only shows 10 GB installed.
Again, to be clear: When you boot up the system from a powered-down state the PC will only show that 10GB are installed. It will only show all of the installed 12 GB RAM when you restart the PC via the operating system.

What the heck is this?
Sounds like an iffy RAM slot. Blow out the slots and check if your contacts are clean. Swap over your old kit into the other slots and see if it is the same.

Weird issue.
Dunno
http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/122/8

You can read through some of the article and click the links at the bottom to see how they are different.

Irobot82

EDIT: Can you link where it says you can have mixed orientation? All my research says that it is not possible without using extra software with games in window mode or you have to have monitors that support orientation change at the hardware level.

Here

So you can have a fixed mode. Why can't you do fixed mode with one horizontal one verticle?

Lime

Was there ever a time it was working fine, and also, do you have it overclocked?

Nope. Straight out of the box it didn't work and I'm running stock clocks. Tried using AB to give it more voltage and power, but to no avail.

Bought it used from someone who used it for mining. The 290 cards seem to suffer from a lot of the Black Screen issues.

$289.79 + Free shipping @ Amazon Warehouse

FOB5QdOl.jpg

Yep, this is the one. I'd probably advise anyone buying this that there's a chance they might stumble upon the black screen issue.

scogoth

Here

So you can have a fixed mode. Why can't you do fixed mode with one horizontal one verticle?

There's nothing in that article that says it supports mixed orientation. The way a display driver rotates a display probably complicates how they match up pixels between monitors. To create a rotated display they create a virtual display then feed the picture buffer from that to the real display. Not impossible to do but it's not supported yet. Everything has to be the same orientation unless the display has a hardware solution to rotate the picture.

Irobot82

There's nothing in that article that says it supports mixed orientation. The way a display driver rotates a display probably complicates how they match up pixels between monitors. To create a rotated display they create a virtual display then feed the picture buffer from that to the real display. Not impossible to do but it's not supported yet. Everything has to be the same orientation unless the display has a hardware solution to rotate the picture.

Okay. :(

Just think how cool something like star citizen could be with two verticle and one horizontal monitor.

Bollocks

Alright GAF building my first gaming pc, is this a good setup for 2014:

i7-4930K
Asus GTX780TI
Asus X79-DELUXE Mainboard

and 16GB RAM

Nvm the gpu/mainboard brand, subject to differ. Just to give you an idea about the ballpark I'm aiming for.

With talks about the 880 idk if I should wait or not.
Originally I planned the 770 to go with my setup, but why not go all out and take the 780ti instead.

Similarly cpu, the least I want is to invest into a rig where the socket is outdated and I can't upgrade the cpu in 2 years from now. But I don't think that's the case here?

kharma45

Alright GAF building my first gaming pc, is this a good setup for 2014:

i7-4930K
Asus GTX780TI
Asus X79-DELUXE Mainboard

and 16GB RAM

Nvm the gpu/mainboard brand, subject to differ. Just to give you an idea about the ballpark I'm aiming for.

With talks about the 880 idk if I should wait or not.
Originally I planned the 770 to go with my setup, but why not go all out and take the 780ti instead.

Similarly cpu, the least I want is to invest into a rig where the socket is outdated and I can't upgrade the cpu in 2 years from now. But I don't think that's the case here?

It will be. Haswell-E is a different socket from IB-E.

Calibus

Unless I am completely overlooking it or the mobo documentation is leaving it out then I don't think this particular board has a power switch.

EDIT: Although you did bring up a good point -- I could try installing everything in my old case to see if perhaps it is a short in the new case itself.

Ok well -- I have determined it is not the case. Instead it is either one of two things causing this issue: 1.) The PCIx16 slot, or 2.) My graphics cards. I tried my current HD7950 and an ancient 9600GT. The 7950 worked fine once I finally got the PC to boot, but of course caused the cold boot issues. The 9600GT allowed the system to boot right up but would not always fully load to Windows (or at least, if it did it was not displaying it). I would have to keep resetting and hope Windows showed up.

I am currently using my board's integrated graphics for the time being. So based on the above, what do you all think: is it more likely the PCI slot or terrible luck with two graphics cards?

EDIT: Resolved. The problem was indeed the PCIEx16 slot on the mobo. So got an RMA from Amazon for a refund and buying an MSI Z91 Gamer 5 for a replacement.

Addnan

So in order to use newer cpus (haswell) I need a different motherboard?
why the hell am I paying over $300 for the motherboard if it's not futureproof.
If you want to go enthusiast wait for Haswell-E. Will need X99 board once they release. If you are just gaming the 4790K will be more than enough and I don't see the enthusiast chips being anywhere near worth it unless you want to go triple cards. You can't future proof a motherboard. Intel change sockets every other release.

Sounds like an iffy RAM slot. Blow out the slots and check if your contacts are clean. Swap over your old kit into the other slots and see if it is the same.

Weird issue.

The RAM slots aren't the problem. When I swapped the slots for the old and new modules the problem persisted. So I removed the old modules and only let the new ones in. And there was the same problem, only 4 out of 6 GB recognized. All 6 GB recognized only after multiple restarts. I then removed the modules one by one to see if I can make out a faulty module and there indeed was a faulty module. The system would only recognize it after multiple restarts. All the other RAM modules work just fine, no matter which slot they're in.

Looks like I have to send them back.

kennah

So in order to use newer cpus (haswell) I need a different motherboard?
why the hell am I paying over $300 for the motherboard if it's not futureproof.
The sooner you try to dismiss the concept of 'futureproof' the happier you will be. The sweet spot is to stay midrange and upgrade every couple years or when it 'feels slow'

Edit - and there is rarely a great reason to pay over $300 for a motherboard. Mainly it falls into LN2 overclocking, extra features that you find flashy or 'I just wanna/can'

grun

Neo Member
Hello,

I have a Corsair HX1000 (psu) as well an ati 7950. Does anyone knows if both would fit on Bitfenix Prodigy (or other itx)?

The sooner you try to dismiss the concept of 'futureproof' the happier you will be. The sweet spot is to stay midrange and upgrade every couple years or when it 'feels slow'

Edit - and there is rarely a great reason to pay over $300 for a motherboard. Mainly it falls into LN2 overclocking, extra features that you find flashy or 'I just wanna/can'

Especially right now when you can get a GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 and Core i7-4790K for $399.68 in a combo deal on Newegg.

kennah

Hello,

I have a Corsair HX1000 (psu) as well an ati 7950. Does anyone knows if both would fit on Bitfenix Prodigy (or other itx)?
Gpu no problem. But that power supply is 200mm. Most ITX cases have a 160mm limit. You'll have a hard time fitting it in any small case.
Especially right now when you can get a GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 and Core i7-4790K for $399.68 in a combo deal on Newegg.
Yep. That's a hell of a deal.

PaulLFC

dear god my new PC is a beast. I get 110-120 fps on the Witcher 2 with everything maxed at 1920x1080. I get 55-60 FPS with everything maxed and ubersampling on. I used to get 25fps at 720p with all the settings turned down on my old rig. This is quite the step up for me.

In case anyone was wondering I upgraded from a Core 2 Duo E7300, a GTX 460 and 4 GB of RAM to a 4790k, a GTX 780 and 16 GB of RAM.
This is almost exactly the spec I'm upgrading from and to, except my previous processor was an i5 760. Can't wait to see the difference in specs!

Although I did wimp out of building it myself (maybe next time, but me managing to screw this current PC up somehow just by attempting to add some extra memory didn't fill me with the confidence to undertake an entire build from scratch!).

Built by the helpful folks at Scan, thanks to Water, Stubo, SHADES and anyone I've missed for the advice before I ordered!

I did end up changing the graphics card from an R9 290 at the last minute to a GTX 780 (wanted the Nvidia streaming features & PhysX, and Scan were doing a deal on the 6GB version making it only about 30 quid or so more expensive than the 3GB, so I jumped on that. Doubt I'll need 6GB for a long time if ever, but with the Watch_Dogs situation and chances of more games going current-gen only instead of cross-gen, I thought it was worth it for the little extra just to future proof for a little bit longer.

Final specs:

Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-HD3
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K
CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Macho
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro, 2133MHz
GPU: 6GB MSI GTX780 TwinFrozr OC GAMING
PSU: 750W Corsair RM
SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB DVD-RW
OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit [Microsoft Windows 8.1 64Bit
Included stuff: WatchDogs, Acronis TrueImage

Supposedly being dispatched Thursday for delivery Friday - and I have Thursday until next Tuesday off work - can't wait!

I'm going to keep following this thread, as although I can't give as good advice as some in here, I enjoy reading the discussion and hopefully I'll learn from it and actually build something of my own next time!

kiyomi

Built my first PC today. Had some panic moments when I couldn't get the 20+4 PIN connector into my mobo and I freaked out over every little thing. Got some bruised fingers and some tired eyes but I did it. Haven't installed Windows yet but the BIOS is up and everything looks installed properly.

Only little thing I noticed is the CPU is turboing up to 3.9Ghz in the BIOS, shouldn't it not be doing that? What's up with it?

Thanks to everyone in this thread for giving me the belief to build. This thread is one of my favourites on GAF. You're all awesome.

Now I have 20 years of PC gaming to catch up on, a new control scheme to learn... can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom