• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Newegg.

US dollars.

Supernova G2 is ~$30 less, if it'll fit into your case. It's larger than a regular PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

The XFX branded version of that Seasonic is $160

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Edit - Even the 1300w EVGA G2 is less than the Seasonic lol

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usa...=120-G2-1300-XR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1060

Platinum 1000w G2 is also less at $170

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usa...=220-P2-1000-XR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1060

Check out the reviews for them all. Jonny Guru has reviewed all of those units and TPU has reviews too. Worth a read of them all. If you can fit it into your case, which you probably will be able to, I'd go EVGA. Their new units, the G2 and the P2, are outstanding.

kharma45

No.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($218.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($147.98 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.11 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $703.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Then get Windows 8.1 off Reddit for ~$20. If you're getting the DVD drive to install Windows you won't need it.

v1lla21

No.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.11 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $703.01

Then get Windows 8.1 off Reddit for ~$20. If you're getting the DVD drive to install Windows you won't need it.
Alright, nice! I'll pass it to my friend since he is the one building it. How do you get 8.1 off of reddit so cheap? Only been on reddit twice.

kharma45

Alright, nice! I'll pass it to my friend since he is the one building it. How do you get 8.1 off of reddit so cheap? Only been on reddit twice.

Some people are able to get retail keys cheaply, some are also MSDN copies. If he wouldn't be comfortable with that we could rework the build.

Cases are a subjective choice so if he doesn't like that there are other options near that price point like the Source 210 Elite and the 200R.

v1lla21

Some people are able to get retail keys cheaply, some are also MSDN copies. If he wouldn't be comfortable with that we could rework the build.

Cases are a subjective choice so if he doesn't like that there are other options near that price point like the Source 210 Elite and the 200R.
Cool beans. Yeah I'm sure he'll be fine with it. All he really plays is titanfall and LoL.

pmj

Please GAF. I need help. I got myself a new cooler and a new case that actually could fit it. I'm now over budget but I told myself that it was stuff I needed to get eventually anyway.

But the problem persists. I press the start button. The fans start spinning. It lasts for 2-3 seconds and then the fans stop. The light indicating the computer is on goes off. But immediately it starts up again. Light goes on, fans spin up. Rinse and repeat. Nothing on the screen. I have to switch the PSU off to get it to stop.

I suppose the motherboard could be faulty, but I don't have another motherboard to test the CPU in. Or the CPU could be broken, but I don't have another CPU to test in the motherboard. I have tried both RAM sticks together and by themselves.

Any ideas or tips would be most welcome.

LilJoka

Please GAF. I need help. I got myself a new cooler and a new case that actually could fit it. I'm now over budget but I told myself that it was stuff I needed to get eventually anyway.

But the problem persists. I press the start button. The fans start spinning. It lasts for 2-3 seconds and then the fans stop. The light indicating the computer is on goes off. But immediately it starts up again. Light goes on, fans spin up. Rinse and repeat. Nothing on the screen. I have to switch the PSU off to get it to stop.

I suppose the motherboard could be faulty, but I don't have another motherboard to test the CPU in. Or the CPU could be broken, but I don't have another CPU to test in the motherboard. I have tried both RAM sticks together and by themselves.

Any ideas or tips would be most welcome.

Have you plugged in the 8pin CPU Power plug? 24Pin ATX plug? GPU Power?
Next try 1 stick of RAM.

Mully

Is it worth it to get a 780 6GB for a dual screen setup? I'm looking at a 770 4GB and a 780 6GB, but I'm wondering if I might be overdoing it.

I have a 750W PS and a i5 2500k processor.

pmj

Have you plugged in the 8pin CPU Power plug? 24Pin ATX plug? GPU Power?
Next try 1 stick of RAM.

Yes, both power cables are plugged in. Trying to use onboard graphics so no GPU installed right now, to rule out it being the problem.

I've tried to use only one stick of RAM. I've tried both of my sticks by themselves.

I actually reached the BIOS once before, but the computer restarted on me while I was changing settings and since then I haven't gotten that far.

rafbanaan

Someone has an idea for a cheap pc? It would mostly be for family sharing/home streaming. Small factor/quiet would be awesome.

I was looking at some things, but I was looking in the dark since I have no idea how strong it has to be.

Quote for new page. I'm from Belgium. Budget is €350-400.

LilJoka

Yes, both power cables are plugged in. Trying to use onboard graphics so no GPU installed right now, to rule out it being the problem.

I've tried to use only one stick of RAM. I've tried both of my sticks by themselves.

I actually reached the BIOS once before, but the computer restarted on me while I was changing settings and since then I haven't gotten that far.

Try to reset CMOS, turn the PC off, remove the CMOS battery carefully. Unplug the PSU power lead. Leave for a few minutes. Replace the battery and try turning the PC on again.

pmj

Try to reset CMOS, turn the PC off, remove the CMOS battery carefully. Unplug the PSU power lead. Leave for a few minutes. Replace the battery and try turning the PC on again.

Removing and putting back the battery seems to have done the trick.

It did one start and restart but then it reached the BIOS stage. I'm a bit worried about that one restart, so I'll let it sit in the BIOS for a while to make sure it isn't going to restart again on me. But so far so good!

Thanks a whole bunch for the help!

Hey guys I'm looking to sell a 4670k. Still has the box and stock fan! I went with he 4790k. It's just a few weeks old and works great! I know this isn't he place for these types of posts but I know there are lots of builders in here looking for a deal. I'm asking $150.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Is it worth it to get a 780 6GB for a dual screen setup? I'm looking at a 770 4GB and a 780 6GB, but I'm wondering if I might be overdoing it.

I have a 750W PS and a i5 2500k processor.

Mully, as your hero, I think you should consider the R9 290 so you can be more like me and get more performance for your dollar.

NJDEN

How much should I sell my current computer for? If all the parts were brand new I think it would be around $1816. I Figure somewhere around 850-1100? Does anyone have any recommendations? The idea is to sell this and use the money for starting up a new build.

System Specifications:
Antec Eleven Hundred Gaming Case
Antec 650 Earthwatt Power Supply
12 GB RAM (2x2GB & 2x4GB)
x's 8 Blue LED 120mm Enermax Silent High Efficiency Fans
x's 1 Blue LED 200mm Cooler Master Fan
Intel i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz-3.80GHz
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Ultra Durable Motherboard
Windows 7 Professional 64bit (Genuine Serial Key)
x's 1 DVD+R Disk Drive
x's 1 240GB Intel Solid State Drive
x's 1 Western Digital 640GB Hard Drive
x's 1 Nvidia EVGA GTX 570 Graphics Card
x's 1 Cooler Master EVO After Market Heatsink
x's 1 Blue Strip of PCI Interface LED Case Lighting

Peripherals:
LG Flatron W2240T Monitor 22"
Microsoft x4 Sidewinder Keyboard
Logitech G9X Mouse

The Llama

So are the Xonar DGX and SB Z the only 2 soundcards really worth considering? They're the only 2 listed in the OP sample builds so I figured I'd ask.

How much should I sell my current computer for? If all the parts were brand new I think it would be around $1816. I Figure somewhere around 850-1100? Does anyone have any recommendations? The idea is to sell this and use the money for starting up a new build.

System Specifications:
Antec Eleven Hundred Gaming Case
Antec 650 Earthwatt Power Supply
12 GB RAM (2x2GB & 2x4GB)
x's 8 Blue LED 120mm Enermax Silent High Efficiency Fans
x's 1 Blue LED 200mm Cooler Master Fan
Intel i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz-3.80GHz
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Ultra Durable Motherboard
Windows 7 Professional 64bit (Genuine Serial Key)
x's 1 DVD+R Disk Drive
x's 1 240GB Intel Solid State Drive
x's 1 Western Digital 640GB Hard Drive
x's 1 Nvidia EVGA GTX 570 Graphics Card
x's 1 Cooler Master EVO After Market Heatsink
x's 1 Blue Strip of PCI Interface LED Case Lighting

Peripherals:
LG Flatron W2240T Monitor 22"
Microsoft x4 Sidewinder Keyboard
Logitech G9X Mouse

You'd probably be better off breaking it down and selling it that way.

NJDEN

Does anyone have any educated predictions for the pricing on the X99 chipset motherboards due in September?

Was thinking about a Haswell-E build, but I wouldn't really want to go over $200-$300 on the mobo alone.

kennah

Does anyone have any educated predictions for the pricing on the X99 chipset motherboards due in September?

Was thinking about a Haswell-E build, but I wouldn't really want to go over $200-$300 on the mobo alone.
300+ for cpu. 200-300 for motherboard, 200-400 for ram.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
First things first, I'm not jumping in on Haswell-E because it's gonna be damn expensive for the foreseeable future, and I'd have to get different RAM, motherboard etc. So I'm looking at Devil's Canyon for my build.

GAF, what I want to know is, how long is it before games exploit the i7-4790K and you can see a real difference from the i5-4690K? As I understand it, the difference is minimal now, but I want something that's going to be playing games in 1440p Ultra for years. Will the i5 handle that? What's the FPS difference like now roughly?

tarheel91

300+ for cpu. 200-300 for motherboard, 200-400 for ram.

Ram is gonna be killer, and will probably be worse than DDR3 at half the price. *sigh*

It really makes sense to release DDR4 on the Enthusiast platform first, though. Only they would be willing to fork out the early adopter fee, and it allows production to ramp up before it hits a more mainstream platform.

kennah

First things first, I'm not jumping in on Haswell-E because it's gonna be damn expensive for the foreseeable future, and I'd have to get different RAM, motherboard etc. So I'm looking at Devil's Canyon for my build.

GAF, what I want to know is, how long is it before games exploit the i7-4790K and you can see a real difference from the i5-4690K? As I understand it, the difference is minimal now, but I want something that's going to be playing games in 1440p Ultra for years. Will the i5 handle that? What's the FPS difference like now roughly?
No one knows. It could be 5 years it could be February.

Overclocking is straight forward.

http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell

http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

You're realistically changing two values now. You'll get great gains for little effort. It's a better long term investment than a slightly better GPU.

This would be the build with a heatsink

Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($106.81 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $756.71
This all looks great. Thanks for your help, man.

Sarcasm

Well thing is there is one here that is slightly more expensive than the other but has a really low ratio.
And we are not talking small numbers.
Also at an expo where I can haggle.

McBryBry

Is an AIO water cooler (h100i) really worth the extra money over say the 212 Evo? I'm planning my Air 540 build and they're both in my budget, but any amount of money I can knock off is a good thing.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
3DMark Fire Strike sure does know how to make a fella's new video card feel inadequate :( A 3D Mark of 8865 is embarrassing right? I thought of doctoring the numbers and adding a thousand to it just so I don't look like a chump. What should I do? Should I overclock it? I was hitting as low as 19 FPS on some parts of this demo. 19 FPS in 2014!!

Is 3930K showing its age? A CPU Mark of 11210 can't be respectable :( Maybe I need to overclock.

This is never going to happen to me again. I swear my next system sometime next year is going to be a 4-way version of whatever the highest end GPU is -- DDR4 (not building another system without DDR4) -- and the next bleeding edge Intel processor. I'm sick of getting punked...

HOW'S THIS SHIT GOING TO DRIVE 3440x1440 at 60 FPS with 4xMSAA?!!

FML!! ;_;

EDIT: I got a warm room out of it at least :(

So I ordered the Fractal R4 Blackout design, WD Blue 1 TB 7200 rpm (pricematched using Microcenter's URL), and 212 EVO cooler from NCIX. I kind of wish the R4 had a window but seeing that I missed out on the opportunity in the middle of June, I had to jump on this one seeing that it was $78.

All I'm missing is the RAM and SSD. I can't wait to build this thing.

Diablos

Okay so even after using zipties to put a 120mm exhaust on the side of my case right next to my GPU it's still hitting 90C. I don't know what happened. Could it be a power issue (i.e. my PSU is dying)? I doubt it.

I have the thermal paste on the GPU just fine (Arctic Silver 5, too). I wonder if the GPU VRM somehow went bust. Could explain a lot.

I really should have just sent the card back to MSI. But never before have I put thermal paste on something and not seen the temps drop... I literally have no idea why this is happening.

Not summer temps either. Plus my case is near a cold air return that is sucking dust and stale air from being near the case into the vent and away from the inside of my PC obviously.

Tablo

3DMark Fire Strike sure does know how to make a fella's new video card feel inadequate :( A 3D Mark of 8865 is embarrassing right? I thought of doctoring the numbers and adding a thousand to it just so I don't look like a chump. What should I do? Should I overclock it? I was hitting as low as 19 FPS on some parts of this demo. 19 FPS in 2014!!

Is 3930K showing its age? A CPU Mark of 11210 can't be respectable :( Maybe I need to overclock.

This is never going to happen to me again. I swear my next system sometime next year is going to be a 4-way version of whatever the highest end GPU is -- DDR4 (not building another system without DDR4) -- and the next bleeding edge Intel processor. I'm sick of getting punked...

HOW'S THIS SHIT GOING TO DRIVE 3440x1440 at 60 FPS with 4xMSAA?!!

FML!! ;_;

EDIT: I got a warm room out of it at least :(

Holy shit loll, what's your gpu. Also you gotta OC that CPU. When did you get the system? If you built it when the 3930K was contemporary its fine, but I hope you didn't just buy that CPU loll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom