• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
noob question: I plan to build a new pc soon, in my current pc I have lots of internal hdd's, I'd like to plug those drives in my new pc and have access to its contents. Will that be possible or do I have to format them?

BladeSinner

Neo Member
noob question: I plan to build a new pc soon, in my current pc I have lots of internal hdd's, I'd like to plug those drives in my new pc and have access to its contents. Will that be possible or do I have to format them?

Should not be an issue :) Just dont expect to be able to boot an OS off of them.

It should be plug-and-play. I've plugged in old HDDs from old computers before and they worked fine.

Has anyone had any experience with the BitFenix MiniITX case? The note at the bottom on PCPartPicker states that a HDD Drive bay will need to be removed for the Graphics card to fit ..

This means that I'll still have room for an SSD and 7200 HDD? But not 2 HDD's? Or what does it mean exactly?

Your Current Specs: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz / Kingston ValueRAM 3x2GB PC2-5300 667 MHz / Intel DP35DP / Asus ENGTX460 / EVGA 100-B1-0500-KR / Tsunami Dream / Samsung HD502HJ 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 320GB / Creative Xtreme Fatality / Acer V193w
Budget: $500-$600 USA
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming 5, Gaming 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 2, Video Editing 3, Streaming games in HD 3, 3D/Model work (and what program) 3DS Max 4, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 5.
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? 1440x900. Are you going to upgrade later? maybe. Are you buying a new monitor? Not right now.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Guild Wars 2, Star Citizen, Planetside 2, Dota 2. Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? 60 please. How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? OK but not really important.
Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900) Asus ENGTX460 (was planning on it, but then people were like "no way man, go gotta replace it!") / EVGA 100-B1-0500-KR / Tsunami Dream / Samsung HD502HJ 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 320GB / Creative Xtreme Fatality / Acer V193w
When will you build?: Next couple weeks. Do you have a deadline? Not really.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!) Maybe (This means yes!).

Asiriya

Neo Member
Uh oh, think I have everything I need for my build now! Harvesting my PSU and GPU from my old computer and then getting started in my Air 540. Gods, I hope I don't bend a socket pin!

Martian

So I have my specs pretty much completed, but I forgot about buying an OS.

What is the best option: windows 7 or 8? And I need a physical CD right? Because I saw a student deal for windows 8 but that was a digital download, or can I use that too.

Quick one: is there a difference in RAM usage for OS?

diaspora

What is the best option: windows 7 or 8? And I need a physical CD right? Because I saw a student deal for windows 8 but that was a digital download, or can I use that too.

Windows 8.1 is objectively better than 7. You don't need a physical disc, you can buy a key from reddit, and install the ISO that's on the MS site.

The Llama

I just built a new PC a few weeks ago and went with Windows 8.1, and IMO I'd recommend it. Take like ~15 minutes tweaking it and you can use as much or little of the Metro styling as you want. Don't think there's any real difference in RAM usage.

You can install either via a USB drive, so no, you don't need a physical CD.

Does the Asus Sabertooth Mark 2 Z97 mb require a bios update to work with the i5-4690K ?
I bought my new motherboard and cpu last night and installed and the rig wont post and nothing shows on the monitor on power on - the case/cpu fans all run and the board does power on however.
I have the cpu,ram and both power supply connectors connected - the 24 pin and 8 pin.
Nothing else connected.
i5-4690K.
Asus Sabertooth Mark 2 Z97
Power supply is a Corsair CS700.
When looking at the asus website at the cpu section for the sabertooth it lists the i5-4690k and i7-4790k as supported since bios version 1008.
I dont know what version of the bios the board has currently.

mkenyon

Banned
Windows 8.1 is objectively better than 7. You don't need a physical disc, you can buy a key from reddit, and install the ISO that's on the MS site.
I wouldn't go that far. Enterprise does not use 8.1 as it is not quite as secure. It also lacks as much backwards compatibility for games. It is good though. Worth the upgrade if you already have 7? Ehhhhhh......
Has anyone had any experience with the BitFenix MiniITX case? The note at the bottom on PCPartPicker states that a HDD Drive bay will need to be removed for the Graphics card to fit ..

This means that I'll still have room for an SSD and 7200 HDD? But not 2 HDD's? Or what does it mean exactly?
There are two HDD cages, plus various SSD mounting spots. With the top cage removed, you still have room for 2 3.5" drives and (I think) 4 different spots for SSDs.

Amneisac

Are there any hot deals going for a PSU in the 650-750 range? I'd like to get out for under $100, but I don't really want to skimp on quality too much.

As of right now it's just going to be powering a 4690k build and a 660ti, but I'd like to have a little headroom to upgrade to a new video card in a year or two.

mkenyon

Banned
Are there any hot deals going for a PSU in the 650-750 range? I'd like to get out for under $100, but I don't really want to skimp on quality too much.

As of right now it's just going to be powering a 4690k build and a 660ti, but I'd like to have a little headroom to upgrade to a new video card in a year or two.
It's not a hot deal, but this PSU is absolutely top notch:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

This is fully modular, and will run a bit more quiet:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

The Llama

FWIW I just got the RM750 and its great. Completely silent (don't know if I've ever heard the fan come on, and if it has, its MUCH quieter than the case fans or the GPU fan). Does get hot to the touch after heavy gaming but thats normal I think.

Amneisac

Thanks for the links, I'm very curious about that Cooler Master especially. I saw it in the OP, but for some reason it doesn't seem to have a ton of reviews online.

I've been looking at this one, too:

Seasonic M12II 620

Is the Cooler Master just a better deal all around for $10 more? Keep in mind I'm pretty much going to sick with a single card setup (at least that's the plan now), so I just want to make sure I'll have enough power for whatever the ~$300 card is in a year or two.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for the links, I'm very curious about that Cooler Master especially. I saw it in the OP, but for some reason it doesn't seem to have a ton of reviews online.

Seasonic M12II 620

Is the Cooler Master just a better deal all around for $10 more? Keep in mind I'm pretty much going to sick with a single card setup (at least that's the plan now), so I just want to make sure I'll have enough power for whatever the ~$300 card is in a year or two.
It's a top notch unit: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=383

Anyone had any experience with the Thermaltake Urban S1? I like the look. It says it has room for an optional front fan... is it beneath?

Reposting to see if anyone has tried it. I'm looking for an inexpensive Micro ATX case and the Silverstone in the OP doesn't offer behind the mobo cable management according to reviews.

Or how about the Cooler Master N200 ?

LilJoka

Seasonic M12II 620

The seasonic is good but its kind of using an out dated design now.I have it and its a little loud at loud too. Get the CM it uses a newer more efficient design with great voltage regulation.

kennah

There are two HDD cages, plus various SSD mounting spots. With the top cage removed, you still have room for 2 3.5" drives and (I think) 4 different spots for SSDs.
Close. The two SSD slots on the side panel are always useable (but a pain) but the ones by the motherboard are blocked if you leave in the bottom two 3.5" The top three 3.5" slots are not useable with a (long) video card in the system.

Tldr - with a video card in a Prodigy you can have either 4x2.5 or 2x 2.5 and 2x 3.5.

Unless you get creative with tape/use the 5.25 bay.

Very flexible case - hard to explain properly :)

Martian

Thanks for the replies guys!

Do any of you have experience with the cooler master n300? Im thinking about getting it. No need for fancy cases, just something that does the job

kharma45

Seasonic M12II 620

The seasonic is good but its kind of using an out dated design now.I have it and its a little loud at loud too. Get the CM it uses a newer more efficient design with great voltage regulation.

Agreed, that Seasonic, whilst good, is a bit old now and is too much at that price.

Rosewill Capstone 750w is also a good deal at $75 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Close. The two SSD slots on the side panel are always useable (but a pain) but the ones by the motherboard are blocked if you leave in the bottom two 3.5" The top three 3.5" slots are not useable with a (long) video card in the system.

Tldr - with a video card in a Prodigy you can have either 4x2.5 or 2x 2.5 and 2x 3.5.

Unless you get creative with tape/use the 5.25 bay.

Very flexible case - hard to explain properly :)

Thanks for this ... for clarification .. this is for a BitFenix Colossus MiniITX .. does the same still apply?

Are there any good remote power solutions? I want to build a new gaming rig, but I want it to live in the basement where it can be as loud as it wants to be.

I just don't seem to see many enthusiast boards with IPMI or vPro.

This is probably a very stupid question but I'm new to the SLI idea. I currently have a Galaxy GTX 660 in my machine and I can't seem to find any other Galaxy-branded ones for a reasonable price. If I get a Gigabyte GTX 660, will that run alright in an SLI configuration, or do the two cards need to be exactly identical?

Also, I have a Corsair CX500M (500w) PSU, will that be a problem for two of these cards?

kharma45

This is probably a very stupid question but I'm new to the SLI idea. I currently have a Galaxy GTX 660 in my machine and I can't seem to find any other Galaxy-branded ones for a reasonable price. If I get a Gigabyte GTX 660, will that run alright in an SLI configuration, or do the two cards need to be exactly identical?

Also, I have a Corsair CX500M (500w) PSU, will that be a problem for two of these cards?

It would, brand doesn't matter. You'd need a new PSU too.

Better off with a new single card.

mkenyon

Banned

If you want to upgrade, you should sell your 660 and get something else. SLI should only be used to achieve performance that is otherwise impossible with a single card.

You're going to instances where it doesn't work, where it makes things worse, or just have a general bad time with the limited memory and memory bandwidth of the 660 in particular.

Erebus

I got a BSOD while playing Tomb Raider Anniversary today.

9lU.png

Does this mean my graphics card is dying?

RedSwirl

How safe is it to disable CPU core parking for better performance in the near term? I heard you could get better performance specifically with games like ArmA III (which isn't well optimized for quad or eight-core systems). As I understand it parking is used to regulate power usage. Anything I should know before I try it?

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time

I can echo all of this. Bought Windows 8 from Reddit for $7 - I couldn't believe my eyes, and it actually worked.

ekgrey

with so much of what I'll be playing in the short term being retro stuff from GOG and Steam, is Win7 gonna be the better choice? will it receive DX12 support when the time comes?

Rommel

BTW, just noticed the hat.

If you ever want help in the future with building/upgrading your PC, I'm in Oly and work for beer, whiskey, or high fives.

Good offer but alas I'm in North Carolina now. I would love to get back to Seattle if I could find a job out there.

mkenyon

Banned
with so much of what I'll be playing in the short term being retro stuff from GOG and Steam, is Win7 gonna be the better choice? will it receive DX12 support when the time comes?
Yes and probably not, respectively.
Good offer but alas I'm in North Carolina now. I would love to get back to Seattle if I could find a job out there.
Gotcha.

In related geographic news, as of Friday there will officially be a pot store opened locally. Crazy times here.

mkenyon

Banned
How is it compared to Thermaltake's Urban S1?

Those are the two I've narrowed down do. I'm using a freebie Logisys full ATX right now and it's a flimsy mess.
Seems like it's a choice between something that operates a bit more quietly (Urban S1) versus greater component compatibility (N200).

If you're in the US, I'd consider the Silverstone PS08 or PS09. They're amazingly feature rich for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163247

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom