• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
It does alright:

SilverStone_Precision_Series_PS09_15.jpg

teiresias

Looks like I'm ready to upgrade my mobo and CPU this weekend (if I have time and finish the PC game I'm in the middle of playing).

Z4D4fTQ.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
I have a Bluray drive and a non-modular PSU. I can't shove everything into the 5.25 bay.

I guess I could try to wedge it all behind the bays. Is it really quiet?

Edit:.... oh but the exhaust fan slot is 80mm My JetFlo won't fit.
Oooof. Yeah, that's more difficult.

bro1

Banned
where are we with the debate between GameWorks and Mantle? I'm eyeing this fall for my next upgrade and am considering going team Red if enough games really support it.

mkenyon

Banned
Mantle is only great if your CPU is terrible.

Most of Mantle is going to be used in DX 12. Microsoft actually asked AMD to work with them on this.

So, it's pretty much not important.

bro1

Banned

Most of Mantle is going to be used in DX 12. Microsoft actually asked AMD to work with them on this.

awesome! Hopefully I can stick with my 780 TI for awhile before the update bug bites again....who am I kidding, I'll be going for the 880 TI when it comes out.

Rommel

Oh oh oh it's here!

pUXi7Eo.jpg

Better pictures later... Omg they put after makert coolers on my 290xs :)

Sad part is I still don't have internet at my new place :( AT&T can go fly a kite

DjRalford

Ok, finally got my new node 804 installed with the h100i on my 4790k

In my old A30 case I was hitting 89c on a low profile cooler.

New build under prime hasn't gone over 60c yet, running at 1.133v stock with turbo on.

I am a happy bunny, seem to have a good chip with stock voltage That low, so will see how far it will go when I finish work.

Note: I used 4 rubber orange on installation of the back plate straight away.

DjRalford

Had a quick bash at an overclock, 4.8ghz running prime with max temp 80c, 1.28v

From What I have read up that's good for a 4790k, so glad I got this h100i.

Kama2k

Neo Member
Had a quick bash at an overclock, 4.8ghz running prime with max temp 80c, 1.28v

From What I have read up that's good for a 4790k, so glad I got this h100i.

Oh how I envy you my FX 8350 and my H100i refuse to negotiate a 1.42v 4.8ghz OC, perks of having a intel cpu with the superior TDP design.

DjRalford

Oh how I envy you my FX 8350 and my H100i refuse to negotiate a 1.42v 4.8ghz OC, perks of having a intel cpu with the superior TDP design.

I'm going to settle on 4.6ghz I think, only needs 1.2v and runs at 70c max, that's balanced profile for the h100i with case fan controller on medium.so it's not screaming in my TV cabinet

mindsale

My iMac just died and I'm looking into buying a mid-range gaming PC, but I've no idea which pre-assembled ones at Newegg or wherever represent the best value. There're so many card types and that I'm searching on my phone only worsens the situation. I'd like to have a strong enough PC to future-proof it a few years but I don't want to spend more than $1100. I will also need a monitor and speakers (above the $1100). Can anyone recommend a card from 2014 that won't be outdated anytime soon? And whether I should buy 8 or 16gb ram? Thanks in advance, this is my transition from Mac back to PC.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
It's time. Tomorrow I'm going to start building my first completely custom pc. I've started from prebuilt pcs before and added, but I've never started from scratch. I have $350 now. I'm planning on spending $1500-$2000. Should I get a case first? How do you normally go about it? Save up and buy all the parts at once or build up piece by piece? Because I don't think I have the willpower to save up $2000 at this point in my life. Lol

Oooof. Yeah, that's more difficult.

I did the home office compatibility test... (I showed all three to my spouse and asked which one was less of an eyesore.)

I'll be getting the N200 because the other two "look like speakers... not in a good way." ...and it has a 120mm exhaust.

thecheese

It's time. Tomorrow I'm going to start building my first completely custom pc. I've started from prebuilt pcs before and added, but I've never started from scratch. I have $350 now. I'm planning on spending $1500-$2000. Should I get a case first? How do you normally go about it? Save up and buy all the parts at once or build up piece by piece? Because I don't think I have the willpower to save up $2000 at this point in my life. Lol

I have no advice to offer but good luck. I'm going to be doing the same next week. My old Dell just broke and I'm about to go to school for video editing, so a a friend talked me into building a custom PC from scratch, so I'm gonna give it my best. Let me know how it goes.

I'm ordering the parts in the next day or two.. here's my build. If you guys have any suggestions or comments, I'd appreciate the feedback.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital RE 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1243.14

RedSwirl

How save is overclocking RAM? From some further research it seems the game I'm trying to run (ArmA III) is in fact memory bottlenecked. Not from amount, but speed. It seems to drag down CPU utilization.

Renekton

How save is overclocking RAM? From some further research it seems the game I'm trying to run (ArmA III) is in fact memory bottlenecked. Not from amount, but speed. It seems to drag down CPU utilization.
AFAIK OCing memory to above their stated spec is pretty crashy.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Gonna attempt to OC my 2600k a bit, wish me luck I have no idea what I'm doing.

(I have read guides though and am following one, My bios isn't exactly the same as what's shown but it should work)

Any super tips I should know?

I wouldn't wait too long between buying parts. Something newer and better might come out and make you wish you didn't purchase something a while ago.

I have no advice to offer but good luck. I'm going to be doing the same next week. My old Dell just broke and I'm about to go to school for video editing, so a a friend talked me into building a custom PC from scratch, so I'm gonna give it my best. Let me know how it goes.

I'm ordering the parts in the next day or two.. here's my build. If you guys have any suggestions or comments, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Y'all are going to do just fine. It's easier than you think. Build looks solid to me.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

(I have read guides though and am following one, My bios isn't exactly the same as what's shown but it should work)

Manual or Offset Voltage. Never auto ever.
Safe, just test it with Memtest after. However unless you have an Intel 46xx chip going above 1600/1866 is super minimal gains (0-3%) and ARMA TMK is FAAAAR more CPU limited just from speed, memory probably being a very small thought after.
Fillout OP
290 or 880GTX soon-ish?
You can buy in pieces, that's fine.
My iMac just died and I'm looking into buying a mid-range gaming PC, but I've no idea which pre-assembled ones at Newegg or wherever represent the best value. There're so many card types and that I'm searching on my phone only worsens the situation. I'd like to have a strong enough PC to future-proof it a few years but I don't want to spend more than $1100. I will also need a monitor and speakers (above the $1100). Can anyone recommend a card from 2014 that won't be outdated anytime soon? And whether I should buy 8 or 16gb ram? Thanks in advance, this is my transition from Mac back to PC.
Fillout OP
$1k build with 4790K. 16GB. Better PSU.

M3z_

I really want to get the ROG swift but talking the AG coating off an $800 monitor is a scary prospect even though I have do it twice with absolute ease. Why do they have to do this to me?!

Smokey

Hooked up the Dell U3011 (I really have too many monitors) to get an idea of performance from BF4 @ 2560x1440. I'm easily at or over 144fps w/ Ultra at "stock" GPU (EVGA Superclocked) and 4930k settings.

i r ready for ROG Swift / 144hz

mkenyon

Banned
I really want to get the ROG swift but talking the AG coating off an $800 monitor is a scary prospect even though I have do it twice with absolute ease. Why do they have to do this to me?!
To make you feel better, this VG248QE looks fucking amazing. I have faith in you.

I'd be so confident that I'd even ship a monitor to you before coming to me so you could remove the AG.

Tablo

Shit so after all it's gonna be AG eh. Well fuck that.

Genio88

Keep always the voltage under control, don't set it to auto, besides that you should e fine following a good guide on the internet.

Smokey

Hi, latest information is that North America is planning pre-orders with some partners from early August as its larger delivery of PG's are being shipped by boat, which takes longer than air transit sorry" - Asus ROG FB

Oh hey another ROG Swift delay

-_-

:l

Tablo

Hi, latest information is that North America is planning pre-orders with some partners from early August as its larger delivery of PG's are being shipped by boat, which takes longer than air transit sorry" - Asus ROG FB

Oh hey another ROG Swift delay

-_-

:l

:( I want it to come out, so I can wait a few months for things to shake out, and prices to maybe drop a bit. at this rate it's gonna be a long while tho. it's ag anyways, fk it. gimme glossy Gsync NAO

Yes and huge part of gains is just AMD cpu drivers being badly optimised and not using multiple cores well.

Just look at frame times with FX@4,7 paired with 290X in DX11
bf4c_plot_ms.png

versus Mantle

bf4cm_plot_ms.png

So this just arrived

Corsair 900D
Asus Z87 Maximus VI Extreme
i7 4790K Devils Canyon @ 4.00ghz
TeamGroup Elite Black 32gb DDR3 1600mhz
2x Radeon R9 290X Asus 4096mb GDDR5
Corsair Hydro H80i
Samsung 512gb SSD

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of downsampling for AMD? The developments seem to be thick and fast these days!

riflen

So this just arrived

Corsair 900D
Asus Z87 Maximus VI Extreme
i7 4790K Devils Canyon @ 4.00ghz
TeamGroup Elite Black 32gb DDR3 1600mhz
2x Radeon R9 290X Asus 4096mb GDDR5
Corsair Hydro H80i
Samsung 512gb SSD

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of downsampling for AMD? The developments seem to be thick and fast these days!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472941

There's a thread on this topic. I don't have personal experience, but I believe it's still not an officially supported feature. You'll have to read the last few pages of the thread to get an idea of how its achieved and the problems/limitations that exist.

Amneisac

A couple quick theory questions for anyone who's interested in contributing their opinion. Got my new i5-4690k build showing up over the next few days, I'm going to keep my 660ti in it for now, so that raises a few questions for me and overclocking:

Since I'll clearly be GPU bottlenecked, should I still overclock the CPU?

If I do overclock the CPU, is it best to break it in first or is it best to go straight for a moderate overclock before breaking it it?

Bonus pic of the build so far, hope it doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner!

kharma45

A couple quick theory questions for anyone who's interested in contributing their opinion. Got my new i5-4690k build showing up over the next few days, I'm going to keep my 660ti in it for now, so that raises a few questions for me and overclocking:

Since I'll clearly be GPU bottlenecked, should I still overclock the CPU?

If I do overclock the CPU, is it best to break it in first or is it best to go straight for a moderate overclock before breaking it it?

Yes, some games it'll be the CPU that's the bottleneck. It varies from title to title.

Just go straight from the off. Nothing needs broken in. Look to OC your 660 Ti too if you want to further increase performance.

Amneisac

Yes, some games it'll be the CPU that's the bottleneck. It varies from title to title.

Just go straight from the off. Nothing needs broken in. Look to OC your 660 Ti too if you want to further increase performance.

Okay, cool, I'll do that! I've actually experimented with overclocking the 660ti before, and I had mixed results. It theoretically was performing with a good clock speed and games weren't crashing or anything, but certain games were giving me a significantly worse frame rate with the overclocking. I'm sure I had probably done something wrong (I just used afterburner and increased the speeds in there), so I was concerned I might damage the card so I turned it all off.

I guess I'll give it another go round! It's the Gigabyte Windforce 660ti, so I think it should be decently for overclocking (even beyond the factory OC, I guess: Core Clock: 1032MHz - Memory Clock: 6008MHz?) if I can figure out what I'm doing.

Also, slightly off-topic, but I signed up for that free UPS My Choice service, and it's been really impressive so far. As an example, Newegg ships something and says it will be here Friday, but the same day I get an e-mail from UPS saying that I have a new delivery schedule for Thursday, and UPS has been right every time so far. Kind a neat way to keep up with all the tracking of this stuff without having to keep checking different Web sites.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
FYI

Most people know me from BST thread. I figure this place is appropriate.

I have a handful of GTX 770 4GB for sell at my pricing. PM if interested.

Amneisac

You should be fine. Those intake fans of yours are Cougars, which are pretty quiet unless you're literally right next to it.

I hope so, I have some old Scythe Gentle Typhoons and I might put those on my Hyper 212evo.

Do most people run two 120mm fans on the Hyper 212 coolers or just one?

Edit: Also, I'm going to have six case fans and one or two CPU fans, how should I hook all that up? As far as I know my motherboard (Gigabyte Z97 UD3H) has 3 system fan connectors (and sysfan_1 is a bad spot for cable management above the GPU). How do I determine which three case fans go on the mobo connectors and which go on the molex?

I'll have the three intake in the front, two exhaust out the top, one exhaust out the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom