• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustardpoodle

Neo Member
So im thinking of swapping my asus 7970 matrix platinum (Crazy loud on load). Can't afford much on top of the sale, so what do you guys recon i should plump for. Play on a single 1080p screen. Toying with a 280x or a 770? Any ideas guys? Cheers!

kharma45

So im thinking of swapping my asus 7970 matrix platinum (Crazy loud on load). Can't afford much on top of the sale, so what do you guys recon i should plump for. Play on a single 1080p screen. Toying with a 280x or a 770? Any ideas guys? Cheers!

Tried cleaning the fans? Could just be dust.

teiresias

3bnOxoI.jpg

Bonus pic of the build so far, hope it doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner!

I wish people would stop posting pics of the 540, haha!! I really love the look of that case, but I certainly can't justify replacing my Silverstone Fortress-2 yet for what I paid for it and how quiet it is.

riflen

Why are you doing this? Is it just because the 7970 is too loud? The 280x is a slightly upclocked, rebranded 7970 GHz edition, so you will have to check reviews of various brands to see what the cooler noise is like under load.

The 770 is not going to be any kind of upgrade for you, tbh as it itself is a rebranded GTX 680 with a 40Mhz clock increase. Whether it's noisier or not will again depend on the cooler configuration.

mustardpoodle

Neo Member
Why are you doing this? Is it just because the 7970 is too loud? The 280x is a slightly upclocked, rebranded 7970 GHz edition, so you will have to check reviews of various brands to see what the cooler noise is like under load.

The 770 is not going to be any kind of upgrade for you, tbh as it itself is a rebranded GTX 680 with a 40Mhz clock increase. Whether it's noisier or not will again depend on the cooler configuration.

Generally something with similar stock performance. I've come to realize that fan noise is quite important now that i built my rig. I won't really be overclocking. Not so much of an upgrade..more of a sidestep.

Tried cleaning the fans? Could just be dust.

Already cleaned mate!

riflen

Generally something with similar stock performance. I've come to realize that fan noise is quite important now that i built my rig. I won't really be overclocking. Not so much of an upgrade..more of a sidestep.

Already cleaned mate!

Well unfortunately no-one here can tell you how quiet is quiet by your standards. You could use a decibel meter to measure the current GPU noise at load and use that to shop around. You can get sound meters as free smartphone apps. Perhaps just invest in some soundproofing for your case?

Amneisac

I feel so needy, but I have a bit of an odd request, so I thought maybe someone here would have some good advice:

Fan Controllers! I want one for my Air 540, which is white, so I don't want a black one, and I'd really rather not put anything in the 5.25" bays if I can help it. BitFenix has a white one, but it seems a little pricey for my needs, which are pretty simple. I don't expect to set up temperature profiles or anything like that, I just want to cut the fan speed back a little to cut down on noise.

I have seen a few 3.5" Controllers, but a lot of them have some sketchy reviews.

There are also PCI Fan Controllers, which I like the idea of, but I have six case fans so that's a little impractical and gets more expensive than the BitFenix white one.

Any good ways of hiding a fan controller?

kharma45

corsair hydro cooling yay or nay?

Mainly yay. Bit more expensive than air generally but they look ace and are easier to build with.

Already cleaned mate!

Tried a custom fan profile? Could be ramping up too early.

mkenyon

Banned
I feel so needy, but I have a bit of an odd request, so I thought maybe someone here would have some good advice:

Fan Controllers! I want one for my Air 540, which is white, so I don't want a black one, and I'd really rather not put anything in the 5.25" bays if I can help it. BitFenix has a white one, but it seems a little pricey for my needs, which are pretty simple. I don't expect to set up temperature profiles or anything like that, I just want to cut the fan speed back a little to cut down on noise.

I have seen a few 3.5" Controllers, but a lot of them have some sketchy reviews.

There are also PCI Fan Controllers, which I like the idea of, but I have six case fans so that's a little impractical and gets more expensive than the BitFenix white one.

Any good ways of hiding a fan controller?
Get something like an NZXT Grid or Phanteks PWM hub that you can just hide in the side compartment.

Amneisac

Get something like an NZXT Grid or Phanteks PWM hub that you can just hide in the side compartment.

Would it be possible to get something like that NZXT Grid and then control all the fans connected to it with one fan controller? Something like this PCI connector?

I'm not sure what kind of connections would be needed to control all the fans on a hub or if that even is possible. I definitely want to have some kind of basic fan control to keep the noise down.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Your Current Specs: Doesn't really matter, nothing except HDD is coming to the new PC.
Budget: $2000 USA
Main Use: 4, if 4 is 1080p at 120. I want a PC that in 5-7 years I'll still be running the newest games at 60fps.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p

All modern games at atleast 60fps on max or close to max settings.

When will you build?: No deadline, buying piece by piece.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not.

Here is the build that I want.

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core $339.99
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $29.98
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 $119.99
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 $144.99
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD $129.99
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $54.98
Video Card I'm buying this last in case GTX 800 series comes out before I'm done.
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower $99.99
Power Supply Cooler Master 750W ATX12V $92.98
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.98
Monitor AOC e2752Vh 27.0" $179.99
Sound Card Asus Xonar Essence STX $179.99

TOTAL PRICE - $1962

What type of cooling should I get for the case? Will this be a cool running system?

teiresias

What is everyone's preferred thermal grease application technique for Haswell?

Arctic Silver suggests the line method after tinting both the CPU and the heatsink, whereas Noctua prefers to suggest the single blob method with a rotational motion when the heatsink is applied to spread (with no mention of tinting).

I can't remember which method I used last time I built (I think I tinted and used line), but I was using AS5 last time and will be using Noctua NT-H1 with my ND-D14 (to replace a 212+).

Which way have people preferred lately?

Your Current Specs: Doesn't really matter, nothing except HDD is coming to the new PC.
Main Use: 4, if 4 is 1080p at 120. I want a PC that in 5-7 years I'll still be running the newest games at 60fps.

Video Card I'm buying this last in case GTX 800 series comes out before I'm done.

TOTAL PRICE - $1962

What type of cooling should I get for the case? Will this be a cool running system?

Edit: nevermind, overlooked it.

mkenyon

Banned
Would it be possible to get something like that NZXT Grid and then control all the fans connected to it with one fan controller? Something like this PCI connector?

I'm not sure what kind of connections would be needed to control all the fans on a hub or if that even is possible. I definitely want to have some kind of basic fan control to keep the noise down.

http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/148-GRID-digital-fan-controller.html

You control your fans with a software suite.

Amneisac

Oh, this looks really cool, in fact it's exactly what I need, but I don't seem to be able to purchase it anywhere, is it not out yet?

Edit: I guess reading further it sounds like it wasn't really working up to spec. I went ahead and ordered the NZXT Grid, because that seems like a good deal and it has good reviews. I'll see what it sounds like with the fans blowing at 12v and then maybe look around and see what my options are for controlling it later. I just want to make sure I can at least get it running for this weekend.

Amneisac

mkenyon

Banned

TOTAL PRICE - $1962

This is what I'd do:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($212.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Z PCIe 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1347.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

650W plenty enough for any single card. I'd rather have an SSD that is twice the size and plenty large enough for tons of games. If you want the Xonar for particular reasons that are beyond my very limited knowledge of audio products, please pass on my Z suggestion, but the virtualized surround from Creative is generally considered better. The Z is a damn good value.

120/144 Hz monitor with native firmware-based strobing is the future, so definitely worth the upgrade there.
Thanks for all your help with this. If my three front intake fans aren't PWM I'm assuming that means I can't control them this way, right? I guess I could change one or two to voltage control and control them with something like SpeedFan?
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, sorry I missed that.

FWIW, at stock voltage, those things are super quiet. 1100-1200 RPM is my personal sweet spot for noise on 120mm fans. They will be much much more quiet than your video card, that's for sure.

Amneisac

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, sorry I missed that.

FWIW, at stock voltage, those things are super quiet. 1100-1200 RPM is my personal sweet spot for noise on 120mm fans. They will be much much more quiet than your video card, that's for sure.

No sweat, you have been very helpful. I've learned a lot. I got these fans for free with my Air 540 case, it was $75 for the fans and the case. Now I kind of wish I had PWM fans for the intake and I could just set the whole case up for PWM since all my mobo fan headers support it.

I can do 2x140mm or 3x120mm front intake fans, is it worth spending the money for new PWM fans to replace the three cougars I have now?

This the right place to sell an old gaming rig?

Just got my new computer so I'll be putting my old rig on ebay unless I find a buyer on Gaf.

The Highlights:
i5-2500k
8 GB ram
120 SSD
60 SSD
2 TB
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Blu-Ray Burner
Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121083
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133045

If this is the wrong forum for this please disregard =)
Yeah, wrong thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743986

You can try there, but normally something like this isn't sold there.

Azzurri

Gold Member

Genio88

Today i tried again Watch Dogs, after the upgrade from FX 8350 4.4ghz to i7 4770k 4.2ghz, the game runs way better now, i gained 10fsp at least, with fx 8350 i had frame rate drops to 20 driving cars, now it never drops under 35 in the same situations, all ultra settings, texture included

LilJoka

No sweat, you have been very helpful. I've learned a lot. I got these fans for free with my Air 540 case, it was $75 for the fans and the case. Now I kind of wish I had PWM fans for the intake and I could just set the whole case up for PWM since all my mobo fan headers support it.

I can do 2x140mm or 3x120mm front intake fans, is it worth spending the money for new PWM fans to replace the three cougars I have now?

Not sure what board youve got, but just because it has 4 pin headers doesnt mean its PWM headers.
The difference with PWM and Voltage control is that PWM is more reliable at spinning up the fan when aiming for low RPM usage. This is because PWM fans receive the full 12v and a PWM signal which is a digital wave that modulates the 12v signal. Its like turning the fan on/off really quickly, the different frequency makes the fan spin faster or slower.

Now with voltage control, it just reduces the input voltage from 12v, usually 7v is the lowest. Most board limit the fan curve to prevent setting a speed so low that the voltage is not enough to spin up the fan.

So just because you have voltage controlled fans is not a big deal, you can tweak them pretty much the exact same. I have all my fans using voltage control, all at 700rpm on an Asus Rampage Gene IV. The newer boards that have Fan Xpert 3 allow a whole bunch of fan control, even if its not PWM.

Amneisac

Not sure what board youve got, but just because it has 4 pin headers doesnt mean its PWM headers.
The difference with PWM and Voltage control is that PWM is more reliable at spinning up the fan when aiming for low RPM usage. This is because PWM fans receive the full 12v and a PWM signal which is a digital wave that modulates the 12v signal. Its like turning the fan on/off really quickly, the different frequency makes the fan spin faster or slower.

Now with voltage control, it just reduces the input voltage from 12v, usually 7v is the lowest. Most board limit the fan curve to prevent setting a speed so low that the voltage is not enough to spin up the fan.

So just because you have voltage controlled fans is not a big deal, you can tweak them pretty much the exact same. I have all my fans using voltage control, all at 700rpm on an Asus Rampage Gene IV. The newer boards that have Fan Xpert 3 allow a whole bunch of fan control, even if its not PWM.

Okay, this is also enlightening, thank you! My board is the Gigabyte Z97-UD3H, I can't really find information about which headers are PWM.

LilJoka

Okay, this is also enlightening, thank you! My board is the Gigabyte Z97-UD3H, I can't really find information about which headers are PWM.

From the manual page 24
CPU Header is PWM
CPU Opt and SYS FAN Headers are all Voltage control.

See what they do is tie the 12v signal and PWM signal pins togethor, so effectively does nothing. Just voltage control.

mkenyon

Banned
Today i tried again Watch Dogs, after the upgrade from FX 8350 4.4ghz to i7 4770k 4.2ghz, the game runs way better now, i gained 10fsp at least, with fx 8350 i had frame rate drops to 20 driving cars, now it never drops under 35 in the same situations, all ultra settings, texture included
Glad to hear it!

Amneisac

From the manual page 24
CPU Header is PWM
CPU Opt and SYS FAN Headers are all Voltage control.

See what they do is tie the 12v signal and PWM signal pins togethor, so effectively does nothing. Just voltage control.

Thanks so much! So that's definitely helpful and makes me think I need to just go back to shopping for a decent fan controller. That's definitely my least favorite part of this case design so far is that there's no great way to have an fan controller with external controls. I'd hate to mount something in the 5.25 drive bay and ruin the smooth look on the front (and they're vertical, which is kind of lame for this) - and I definitely don't want to put in a black fan controller.

If this PCI controller outputs 20w, would it be possible to control multiple fans with it?

LilJoka

Thanks so much! So that's definitely helpful and makes me think I need to just go back to shopping for a decent fan controller. That's definitely my least favorite part of this case design so far is that there's no great way to have an fan controller with external controls. I'd hate to mount something in the 5.25 drive bay and ruin the smooth look on the front (and they're vertical, which is kind of lame for this) - and I definitely don't want to put in a black fan controller.

If this PCI controller outputs 20w, would it be possible to control multiple fans with it?

Nope just use the fan controllers on the board. I been through this phase a few years back lol. Had a sunbeam rheotech downvolted my case fans to 7v. Well now its gone and i have the same solution using the fan headers.

I currently have 5 fans in total (incl CPU) connected to 3 SYS Fan headers that are voltage controlled. All fans are at 6-700RPM via the motherboard software. No need for controllers anymore. Although motherboard software is a bit of a joke from every manufacturer, Asus does the best job here. The fan Xpert 3 is amazing and lets you control all SYS fan headers individually. Whereas everything else ive seen treats everything connected to the SYS Fan header as a single fan.

So buy a few of the 3pin fan header splitters and make your 3 SYS Fan headers able to power 6 fans. All you need to make sure is that you dont draw more than 1A from the header. The current rating is on the Fan sticker. Normal range is 0.1-0.3A per fan.

Also trust me that you will never change the fan settings ever because having the fans at 1000+rpm vs having them at 700prm will make only a few *c of difference, but the noise is just not worth it.

mkenyon

Banned
+1 to everything he said.

But I'm also a big fan of having 12v fans run at a level I don't even have to think about, which I think your Cougars will be great for.

Yaska

Hey

I need a quick bit of advise from the BuilderGAF. I'm upgrading my i7 2600k stock cooler so I can OC it to 4,5ghz, but am currently debating between tower cooler and h110 from Corsair.

My main problem is with products like noctua d-nh15 is that I have bit taller memory ( Kingston HyperX T1, which I believe is 61mm tall), and that I move my computer now and then. I also have a Asus 580gtx DCII GPU, so was wondering if my motherboard can actually take the extra weight of a Noctua tower. So what is the recommended way of approach?
Thank you in advance.

To summarize the specs:
Tall memory (61mm)
580 gtx DCII on motherboard already (planning to upgrade to 880 when it comes out)
case is antec twelvehundred v1

Edit: Also I travel by train with the computer 2-4 times a year.

Amneisac

Nope just use the fan controllers on the board. I been through this phase a few years back lol. Had a sunbeam rheotech downvolted my case fans to 7v. Well now its gone and i have the same solution using the fan headers.

I currently have 5 fans in total (incl CPU) connected to 3 SYS Fan headers that are voltage controlled. All fans are at 6-700RPM via the motherboard software. No need for controllers anymore. Although motherboard software is a bit of a joke from every manufacturer, Asus does the best job here. The fan Xpert 3 is amazing and lets you control all SYS fan headers individually. Whereas everything else ive seen treats everything connected to the SYS Fan header as a single fan.

So buy a few of the 3pin fan header splitters and make your 3 SYS Fan headers able to power 6 fans. All you need to make sure is that you dont draw more than 1A from the header. The current rating is on the Fan sticker. Normal range is 0.1-0.3A per fan.

Also trust me that you will never change the fan settings ever because having the fans at 1000+rpm vs having them at 700prm will make only a few *c of difference, but the noise is just not worth it.

Excellent, that sounds like the best solution! I'll use the EasyTune6 software (sounds like it's not the greatest) to control the fans. I'll just have to figure out how to best tune them since I have 3x120mm's blowing in and 3x140mm's blowing out. Sounds like negative pressure is something best to avoid? Ugh, I normally just don't worry about this stuff when I build PCs, but I've told myself I want to try to do everything as right as I can this time.

LilJoka

Excellent, that sounds like the best solution! I'll use the EasyTune6 software (sounds like it's not the greatest) to control the fans. I'll just have to figure out how to best tune them since I have 3x120mm's blowing in and 3x140mm's blowing out. Sounds like negative pressure is something best to avoid? Ugh, I normally just don't worry about this stuff when I build PCs, but I've told myself I want to try to do everything as right as I can this time.

You really dont need to worry about this at all. Just wack the fans to minimum speeds and forget about it. Negative pressure brings in dust easier, but gives a better flow, so i always aim for this setup, and its not a problem with some dust filters. But what you will find is that with the fans at such low rpm, the effect will be very small, insignificant. In fact its always insignificant unless you are pushing a huge difference in CFM with something like Delta fans.

With positive pressure the air flow is reduced meaning that hot air is lingering in the case, and that ends up slowly heating things up, youll notice way higher temps after a few days of it being powered up. Although here dust is expelled from the system. Again this is over exaggerated, the effect is very minimal.

So nothing to worry about.

NoRéN

FYI

Most people know me from BST thread. I figure this place is appropriate.

I have a handful of GTX 770 4GB for sell at my pricing. PM if interested.

I can't recommend this dude enough. The 680 4gb he sold me is too damn good and great price too. The only way the card could have reached me sooner was if he had delivered it himself.

Amneisac

You really dont need to worry about this at all. Just wack the fans to minimum speeds and forget about it. Negative pressure brings in dust easier, but gives a better flow, so i always aim for this setup, and its not a problem with some dust filters. But what you will find is that with the fans at such low rpm, the effect will be very small, insignificant. In fact its always insignificant unless you are pushing a huge difference in CFM with something like Delta fans.

With positive pressure the air flow is reduced meaning that hot air is lingering in the case, and that ends up slowly heating things up, youll notice way higher temps after a few days of it being powered up. Although here dust is expelled from the system. Again this is over exaggerated, the effect is very minimal.

So nothing to worry about.

Sounds good, I'll just go back to trying to enjoy it now!

I just want this cable, right? I can use the 3 to 4 pin adapters than came with the fans to make the connection for my Cougars? (the corsair fans are already 4 pin)

mkenyon

Banned
Hey

I need a quick bit of advise from the BuilderGAF. I'm upgrading my i7 2600k stock cooler so I can OC it to 4,5ghz, but am currently debating between tower cooler and h110 from Corsair.

My main problem is with products like noctua d-nh15 is that I have bit taller memory ( Kingston HyperX T1, which I believe is 61mm tall), and that I move my computer now and then. I also have a Asus 580gtx DCII GPU, so was wondering if my motherboard can actually take the extra weight of a Noctua tower. So what is the recommended way of approach?
Thank you in advance.

To summarize the specs:
Tall memory (61mm)
580 gtx DCII on motherboard already (planning to upgrade to 880 when it comes out)
case is antec twelvehundred v1

Edit: Also I travel by train with the computer 2-4 times a year.
With an Antec Twelvehundred!?

You're crazy.

One of the smaller 120mm CLC would be fine too. CoolerMaster Seidon is good.

beastworship

Neo Member
Thanks for your suggestions. I bought and built a mediocre pc with them and some recycled gear. i5 4690k, z97x-ud3h, hyper 212 evo, 4 gigs of random hyperx ram and a recycled xfx 4850 with 650 corsair psu. The true jewel is this beautiful white fractal design r4. Now onto my gripe, I bought it all at memory express at $666, first bad sign perhaps, then my hooptie car overheated and I had to sit there for an hour in the parking lot.

Then I get home all excited to build, don't test the components on the motherboard box just build it all and toss it in the case to find nothing, not a single thing. Go through the troubleshooting process and nothing. Take it back to memory express today and it turns out the mobo bios isn't compatible with the newer processor. Wish they told me that before so they coulda fixed it, instead they went over the pins with a fine tooth comb to make sure none were bent before I bought it which is fine and then they really broke out the magnifying glass when I brought it back, which of course I didn't and I have win 7 on it now. Wish they told me before I left about the compatibility problem, sure it was mentioned in this thread but I wasn't having it and wanted to heroically solve it myself... until I couldn't.

So in short fuck memory express for wasting my time, ncix isn't that much harder to buy from and I'm guessing they try to sell shit that works.

tarheel91

You're crazy.

I move cross country 2+ times a year with my Bit Fenix Shinobi with a Hyper 212 Evo cooler in a tiny convertible. It's very stressful. It's one of the reasons I'm planning on going water for my next build.

Yaska

You're crazy.

I live 4 months of the year 900km from my flat due to my work, and I like gaming with a pc during those times as well, so it's a necessary evil. Luckily one can get own cabin easily in Finland, if you plan your trip well, so the transporting isn't that bad. Alas I worry about liquid cooling because the transportation. That's why I'm asking for advise on the selection of coolers, and will now check out the CM Seidon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom