• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

I want the extra .5 GHz.

I suppose it's your choice, but you might as well get a better motherboard if you want a higher clock speed, having the option to overclock later would be nice.

Some B85 motherboards are capable of limited overclocking.

kennah

I suppose it's your choice, but you might as well get a better motherboard if you want a higher clock speed, having the option to overclock later would be nice.

Some B85 motherboards are capable of limited overclocking.
My options are very limited. I want something with an msata port to use the SSD I already have. The case I'm using can only support itx and 2 x 2.5" drives. I want gigabyte so I can hackintosh easily. 4.0 plus the boost should be OK. It'll be watercooled.
You going for blue and orange now?
Possibly. I'm picking up some orange tubing just in case.

mkenyon

Banned
NoRéN;154770289 said:
I won't judge you. :)
Non-OCd 4770k here :(
disappointment-o.gif

Is there a decent place where I could find or ask about monitors or ask for some recommendations? I don't know what exactly to look out for, aside from the obvious stuff such as response times and panel types.
Price range?

It pretty much boils down to this.

Sub $200 = there's a revolving door of pretty good panels.

$200-500 = Do you want 1080p/144hz on TN or 1440p/60Hz on IPS/AHVA?

$500+ = 4k/60Hz vs. 1440p/144Hz TN and IPS vs ultrawide 60Hz vs ultrawide 120Hz

CPU:
Intel CORE i5-2500K
3.30 GHz, 6MB Cache, (LGA1155,95W)
MOBO:
MSI-P67A-G43 (B3) ------- DDR3 1066/1333/1600*/1866*/2133*(OC)
MEMORY:
PATROIT 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-10666 (1333MHz)
GPU:
GTX570HDSC (1280MB GDDR5)
SOUND:
Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card (XONAR_DG)
PSU:
Corsair AX750 GOLD - 750watt PSU <<< Is this powerful enough for a GTX980??

I'm thinking about buying a GTX980, I would like a GPU that allows for multiple monitors via HDMI or DVI. Right now mine can only support two monitors.

I also hear most of the new cards use PCI 3.0, but my main board is only a 2.0. Can I get a card without worrying about my board bottlenecking the GPU?
I made a thread here but with minimal feedback on my GPU question - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1001918&highlight=

Also does a good GPU help the speed of video rendering at all?

RGM79

CPU:
Intel CORE i5-2500K
3.30 GHz, 6MB Cache, (LGA1155,95W)
MOBO:
MSI-P67A-G43 (B3) ------- DDR3 1066/1333/1600*/1866*/2133*(OC)
MEMORY:
PATROIT 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-10666 (1333MHz)
GPU:
GTX570HDSC (1280MB GDDR5)
SOUND:
Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card (XONAR_DG)
PSU:
Corsair AX750 GOLD - 750watt PSU <<< Is this powerful enough for a GTX980??

I'm thinking about buying a GTX980, I would like a GPU that allows for multiple monitors via HDMI or DVI. Right now mine can only support two monitors.

I also hear most of the new cards use PCI 3.0, but my main board is only a 2.0. Can I get a card without worrying about my board bottlenecking the GPU?
I made a thread here but with minimal feedback on my GPU question - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1001918&highlight=

Also does a good GPU help the speed of video rendering at all?

Yeah, you can run three monitors off a single GTX 980, but I believe you will need SLI for more than that. Will you be running games in triple-monitor mode or is it just for productivity?

PCI-E 2.0 x16 will not be much of a bottleneck if at all. According to these testing results by TechPowerUp, it's a ~2% difference which is tiny.

Yes, the GPU can help with video rendering, although IIRC results will vary with what program and settings you use.

Yeah, you can run three monitors off a single GTX 980. Will you be running games in triple-monitor mode or is it just for productivity?

PCI-E 2.0 x16 will not be much of a bottleneck if at all. According to these testing results by TechPowerUp, it's a ~2% difference which is tiny.

Yes, the GPU can help with video rendering, although IIRC results will vary with what program and settings you use.

Sick avatar!

Thanks for the feedback. I use vegas so ill look it up myself.

Thanks a ton! (Mostly productivity, can't think of any games I play in that sort of 3 monitor style)

mkenyon

Banned
Last time I was using Vegas, which was admittedly about 2 years ago, I know the rendering heavily favored AMD cards for additional power. I'm not sure if that is still the case or not, but you might want to consider that route.

Deception

Case: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair...1306373782.p?id=mp1306373782&skuId=1306373782

Video card: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ge...1310875074.p?id=mp1310875074&skuId=1310875074

Memory: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/crucial...1307798614.p?id=mp1307798614&skuId=1307798614

PSU: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-50...&skuId=1017256&productCategoryId=abcat0507009

That leaves you in a tight spot for the SSD. Think you could buy one out of pocket for like $100 from Amazon? The choices at the BB site aren't great, unless I missed something.

They come out the box at 4.2 right? Good enough.

You rock dude forreal! As far as the SSD I think I could manage to swing the $100 and order it off Amazon, as along as the pricer components are from BB I should be able to manage.

Thank you so much!

RGM79

Sick avatar!

Thanks for the feedback. I use vegas so ill look it up myself.

Thanks a ton! (Mostly productivity, can't think of any games I play in that sort of 3 monitor style)

Last time I was using Vegas, which was admittedly about 2 years ago, I know the rendering heavily favored AMD cards for additional power. I'm not sure if that is still the case or not, but you might want to consider that route.

67745.png

Well, it seems that for Vegas 12, the R9 290 would be a much better buy, it beats the GTX 980 and costs less than half as much. Not sure about Vegas 13, can't really find any conclusive benchmarks for that.

And yeah, the R9 290 will handle triple monitors as well.

mkenyon

Banned
A little bit of information I stumbled upon while Googling about Vegas 13: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/977072

Third post seems informative.
I'm trying to keep it around &#8364;200, which is around $230. Looking specifically for IPS panels, 1080/60hz is good enough for now. The Asus IPS monitor in the OP isn't available anywhere locally. I was recommended the LG 24MP76HM, but I have no idea whether this would be remotely good for gaming and what to really look for.
I'll have to let someone else step in on this one. My knowledge of monitors is pretty limited, and it's really hard to keep track of the decent budget ones.

*edit*

I do know that people like the Dell U24s, which are in that price range.

Can anyone recommend a decently priced Mini-Tower case? I'd like to step down from my massive tower since I don't need all the space it offers and it's super heavy to move around and takes up a lot of space.

I have a GTX 780 for size requirement.

RGM79

Can anyone recommend a decently priced Mini-Tower case? I'd like to step down from my massive tower since I don't need all the space it offers and it's super heavy to move around and takes up a lot of space.

I have a GTX 780 for size requirement.

Sorry, it's kind of hard, those details are a bit vague. Do you have a budget in mind, what exact model of GTX 780 do you have, and do you have any preference for things like style or side window?

Actually, just list off your complete system specs? I assume you have an ATX motherboard, but no idea what sort of CPU cooler you have?

Sorry I don't know a lot about these smaller cases or what ATX means although I assume my motherboard isn't compatible. I'm just looking for as small as a case possible without compromising on my current build if possible.

Specs are as followed:
CPU - Intel I5-2500k.
CPU Cooler - Standard one that came with CPU.
Motherboard - Asus P8Z68 V-Pro.
RAM G.Skill 16GB's (4x4).
Video Card - EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked (Reference Model).
Power Supply - Corsair RM Series 750 Gold Certified.

mkenyon

Banned
Sorry I forgot that. :<

Preferably less than $100.
Well, just so you have a reference point, these are some of the smallest ATX cases I know of:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6KX27K2858

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&cm_re=PPSSEZDLTFRKEK-_-11-112-366-_-Product

You could also go with the cube/desktop style of case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119265

*edit*

Or do as LilJoka suggests. Find a used Z68/Z77 ITX or mATX board.

Drago

Pretty sure that I'll have all of my parts by the end of next week. My build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 Micro Center bundle)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: BitFenix Shadow ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $399.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-05 20:04 EST-0500
(ignore the purchased for $0.00, it's to keep track of what I have left to spend)

Just some very basic, very stupid questions before I have everything
-I'm guessing I'll need a separate WiFi card if I want wireless connections? Anything you guys recommend (at a low price)?
-I don't think I'm gonna overclock the CPU for now, but if I want to later on I can buy a good cooler and I'd be good to go yeah?
-Are there any additional cables (such as SATA cables) that I'll need to get beforehand or will I be ready to go with these parts?
-I plan on installing Windows 8.1, would I be able to download the installation ISO from Microsoft official and buy a serial key secondhand and that would be ok? Am I even able to do that? I'll just buy the OS from Microsoft if I gotta. Free update to Windows 10 when that's out too yeah?
-No worries with a 750W power supply, yes?

Really primitive questions but I wanna be assured with what I'm going with. So excited to finally have a gaming PC.

The Llama

My options are very limited. I want something with an msata port to use the SSD I already have. The case I'm using can only support itx and 2 x 2.5" drives. I want gigabyte so I can hackintosh easily. 4.0 plus the boost should be OK. It'll be watercooled.

Possibly. I'm picking up some orange tubing just in case.

Have you checked out MSI boards? They can usually Hackintosh pretty easily (I've done it with 2 different ones).

RGM79

Pretty sure that I'll have all of my parts by the end of next week. My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 Micro Center bundle)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: BitFenix Shadow ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $399.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-05 20:04 EST-0500
(ignore the purchased for $0.00, it's to keep track of what I have left to spend)

Just some very basic, very stupid questions before I have everything
-I'm guessing I'll need a separate WiFi card if I want wireless connections? Anything you guys recommend (at a low price)?
-I don't think I'm gonna overclock the CPU for now, but if I want to later on I can buy a good cooler and I'd be good to go yeah?
-Are there any additional cables (such as SATA cables) that I'll need to get beforehand or will I be ready to go with these parts?
-I plan on installing Windows 8.1, would I be able to download the installation ISO from Microsoft official and buy a serial key secondhand and that would be ok? Am I even able to do that? I'll just buy the OS from Microsoft if I gotta. Free update to Windows 10 when that's out too yeah?
-No worries with a 750W power supply, yes?

Really primitive questions but I wanna be assured with what I'm going with. So excited to finally have a gaming PC.

1. Yeah, that motherboard doesn't have built-in wifi. I'm not sure how much you mean by low price, but this TP-Link model for about $20 will probably handle your needs just fine.

2. Yes. Most decent coolers will need you to install a backplate for the motherboard, which may or may not require disassembling most of the PC to get the motherboard out. It'll depend on how accessible the back of the motherboard is from the cutout on the Bitfenix case's motherboard tray.

3. According to reviews, the motherboard you chose comes with 4 SATA cables in the box.

4. That should be alright, just be warned that it may or may not work out. We've had people here mention that the keys they bought from reddit users were deactivated. Instructions for getting the ISO are here.

5. No worries whatsoever.

Drago

1. Yeah, that motherboard doesn't have built-in wifi. I'm not sure how much you mean by low price, but this TP-Link model for about $20 will probably handle your needs just fine.

2. Yes. Most decent coolers will need you to install a backplate for the motherboard, which may or may not require disassembling most of the PC to get the motherboard out. It'll depend on how accessible the back of the motherboard is from the cutout on the Bitfenix case's motherboard tray.

3. According to reviews, the motherboard you chose comes with 4 SATA cables in the box.

4. That should be alright, just be warned that it may or may not work out. We've had people here mention that the keys they bought from reddit users were deactivated. Instructions for getting the ISO are here.

5. No worries whatsoever.

Excellent, thanks a bunch for answering my questions. That WiFi card will be perfectly fine for me :D

Celcius

°Temp. member
Normally screen tearing would happen if your frame rate is above your monitor's refresh rate. For example, if I have a 60 hz monitor and I'm getting 300 fps in Street Fighter 4, there would be some tearing.

I know how gsync improves the smoothness of games below the monitor's max refresh rate but what about those cases where you would be getting 300 fps? Does gsync cap your framerate at the monitor's max refresh rate without the input lag of vsync or would you still get screen tearing in this scenario?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Anyone install Windows on an M.2 SSD, using it as a boot drive? How's it been? Is it easier to do it for Win7 or Win8.1?

I'm thinking of the Samsung XP941, and the X99 Asus Fatal1ty mobo.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wouldn't it be exactly the same as any other drive?

Last I heard, booting though a drive directly connected to PCIe is still fairly new, and might not work for everyone. I'm still googling to catch up to the current news so I can decide what mobo to use for my Haswell E.

mkenyon

Banned
Normally screen tearing would happen if your frame rate is above your monitor's refresh rate. For example, if I have a 60 hz monitor and I'm getting 300 fps in Street Fighter 4, there would be some tearing.

I know how gsync improves the smoothness of games below the monitor's max refresh rate but what about those cases where you would be getting 300 fps? Does gsync cap your framerate at the monitor's max refresh rate without the input lag of vsync or would you still get screen tearing in this scenario?
Unless you are trained to spot graphical oddities like Durante, you're not going to notice tearing when you are running at 120-144Hz. Anecdotally, not a single person in my social circle of gaming pals (15ish) notice it on their 120/144Hz monitors.

hitgirl

I can't believe I've resisted all urges to upgrade my computer I built two years ago. It's still holding super strong. I wonder if Witcher 3 will make me reconsider. I'm still at 1080p though so I feel like the only thing which will improve is power draw and thermals.

Anyone install Windows on an M.2 SSD, using it as a boot drive? How's it been? Is it easier to do it for Win7 or Win8.1?

I'm thinking of the Samsung XP941, and the X99 Asus Fatal1ty mobo.

wait until the next motherboards. the m2 ssds are not really sorted out yet, they run ridiculously hot. do some research though and you will see.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I can't believe I've resisted all urges to upgrade my computer I built two years ago. It's still holding super strong. I wonder if Witcher 3 will make me reconsider. I'm still at 1080p though so I feel like the only thing which will improve is power draw and thermals.

wait until the next motherboards. the m2 ssds are not really sorted out yet, they run ridiculously hot. do some research though and you will see.

Yeah it looks like I'll wait on the M.2 drive. http://anandtech.com/show/8979/samsung-sm951-512-gb-review

The thermals also look crazy. No one makes one with a heat sink? Hmmm..

I can't wait to buy a motherboard. I already have an i75960X just sitting around.

mkenyon

Banned
It takes less than two minutes for the drive to begin throttling itself and the performance drops to ~75MB/s. Because the SM951 is an M.2 drive, it doesn't have a chassis or heatsink to help with the heat dissipation, which combined with the fact that the SM951 is more power hungry than most SATA 6Gbps drives results in throttling issues. That said, the drive shouldn't throttle under normal usage because a continuous two-minute transfer isn't very common, but in some more IO intensive workloads with long transfers (e.g. video editing) there's a chance that performance will be affected by thermal issues.

In any case, I strongly recommend having a decent amount of airflow inside the case. My system only has two case fans (one front and one rear) and I run it with the side panels off for faster accessibility, so mine isn't an ideal setup for maximum airflow.

That doesn't seem like much to worry about. But if it bugs you, I'd imagine you could stick some of those adhesive memory heatsinks they make for video cards on it.

kennah

then get a new case or a 4790k and don't OC

kennah pls

I love my case :( My budget is $800 Canadian. 4790K plus Mobo puts me at $509.

I already do have a 120 Hz monitor. But it's a 19" CRT at 1024x768. Just did a quick search and I don't think I"ll find a monitor in my budget. Unless I go for a 4690K or Anniversary Pentium. Man. Maybe I'll fill out the questionnaire.

EDIT: Guess I could sell the Splash and have enough to build an entire second Node.

The Llama

Unless you are trained to spot graphical oddities like Durante, you're not going to notice tearing when you are running at 120-144Hz. Anecdotally, not a single person in my social circle of gaming pals (15ish) notice it on their 120/144Hz monitors.

Just to second this, I've NEVER noticed screen tearing when my FPS has been >90. Really, I don't think I've noticed it when its been above 80.

Going back to when I used a CRT back in the day, I remember that I couldn't use 60Hz because the flickering was unbearable (it still is), but 75Hz or 85Hz and I was fine. I think thats just around the point (~75Hz) where motion becomes less noticable to me.

lupinko

Turns out my notebook isn't dying (looks like ram seated incorrectly), so I'll be building my computer in November/December. It'll allow for a $900-$1100 budget.

RGM79

Turns out my notebook isn't dying (looks like ram seated incorrectly), so I'll be building my computer in November/December. It'll allow for a $900-$1100 budget.

Oh, that seems fine, then. You'll get a much more capable PC that will last longer.

By that time, hopefully Skylake processors and Z170 will have been released to supplant existing Haswell and Z97 design.

anothertech

Getting ready for next systems, I see DDR4 is available.

Anyone try it yet? Speed wise, my Mushkin Black Line is slightly faster at 2400Mhz at 1030, where the DDR4 starts at 2133, but bandwidth wise...ya. Little jelly.

Stuff is obviously a rip off right now though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So what's the general consensus on the best 120mm closed water loop CPU cooler nowadays? I was looking at an H80i for my Fortress FT02, but that thing is like 2 years old already. Has anything better come out since then?

OraleeWey

Questions, the grand majority of all PC players play at 1080p xxfps?

Does "ultra" settings still apply to 1080p? Just a more detailed picture?

lupinko

Oh, that seems fine, then. You'll get a much more capable PC that will last longer.

By that time, hopefully Skylake processors and Z170 will have been released to supplant existing Haswell and Z97 design.

Yeah, I would like something beefy like a 980.

So I'll definitely wait it out.

snipah

Neo Member
Hi folks. Kindly asking for your support right now. Planning to upgrade my HTPC to something with a little more performance, although OpenELEC + retroplayer (SNES and below) runs great on my current setup.

Your Current Specs: Only a small Zotac-Box HD-ND 22 which is my HTPC at the moment.
Budget: &#8364;600 - &#8364;700 Germany
Main Use: will mainly be a HTPC with some Steam Big picture planned, sometimes Emulation
Light Gaming, Gaming : 3
Emulation (PS2/Wii): 2
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback): 5
Monitor Resolution: Living-Room-PC, thus FullHD at the moment. No 4k needed :)
No specific games needed, but 1920x1080@30+FPS would be nice in games :)
Looking to reuse any parts? No reused parts.
When will you build? 3 - 4 months in the future - planning now! No deadline
Will you be overclocking? No

Any questions will be answered gladly! Would it make sense to wait for next years' skylake-i5-NUCs? Would they fulfill the above in any way?

RGM79

So what's the general consensus on the best 120mm closed water loop CPU cooler nowadays? I was looking at an H80i for my Fortress FT02, but that thing is like 2 years old already. Has anything better come out since then?

NZXT Kraken X41? According to Tweaktown it performed very well, among the best of the 120mm radiators and rivaling some 240mm radiators.

That said, it costs $100. If you don't mind air cooling, how about the Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E for the same price? According to Ocaholic, it runs slightly cooler and quieter than the Kraken X41.

Questions, the grand majority of all PC players play at 1080p xxfps? Does "ultra" settings still apply to 1080p? Just a more detailed picture?

If the Steam hardware survey results are anything to go by, 1080p is the most popular resolution. I don't see any reason why ultra settings wouldn't apply. Resolution is separate from graphical quality settings like texture quality and AA.

Your Current Specs: Only a small Zotac-Box HD-ND 22 which is my HTPC at the moment.
Budget: &#8364;600 - &#8364;700 Germany
Main Use: will mainly be a HTPC with some Steam Big picture planned, sometimes Emulation
Light Gaming, Gaming : 3
Emulation (PS2/Wii): 2
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback): 5
Monitor Resolution: Living-Room-PC, thus FullHD at the moment. No 4k needed :)
No specific games needed, but 1920x1080@30+FPS would be nice in games :)
Looking to reuse any parts? No reused parts.
When will you build? 3 - 4 months in the future - planning now! No deadline
Will you be overclocking? No

Any questions will be answered gladly!

I'd wait until you're closer to when you want to build. New AMD graphics cards are expected to release sometime in the next month or two, and prices can change. At that price range, I think you'll be looking at a non-overclocking i5 processor and a graphics card in the 200 Euro range. Here's an example build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (&#8364;184.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (&#8364;77.61 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (&#8364;73.39 @ Home of Hardware DE)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (&#8364;53.71 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card (&#8364;213.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (&#8364;34.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (&#8364;64.08 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: &#8364;702.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 07:52 CET+0100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom