• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipah

Neo Member
Thanks a lot for your quick reply! Will ask for an update when I'm ready to build/ buy! Maybe a short answer regarding next years' skylake-NUC?

RGM79

Thanks a lot for your quick reply! Will ask for an update when I'm ready to build/ buy! Maybe a short answer regarding next years' skylake-NUC?

If you were looking for low heat and power efficient HTPC then Skylake NUCs are definitely an option, but I don't really know anything else about them other than that they're supposed to launch at about the same time as the rest of Skylake.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
NZXT Kraken X41? According to Tweaktown it performed very well, among the best of the 120mm radiators and rivaling some 240mm radiators.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think a 140mm fan would fit in the FT02 on top. After a bit of looking, though, I saw that the new revision of the H80i, the H80i GT, actually just came out, so I went ahead and bought that one.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Unless you are trained to spot graphical oddities like Durante, you're not going to notice tearing when you are running at 120-144Hz. Anecdotally, not a single person in my social circle of gaming pals (15ish) notice it on their 120/144Hz monitors.

No offense but this answer is based on opinion rather than facts. Still looking for an answer if anyone knows:

Normally screen tearing would happen if your frame rate is above your monitor's refresh rate. For example, if I have a 60 hz monitor and I'm getting 300 fps in Street Fighter 4, there would be some tearing.

I know how gsync improves the smoothness of games below the monitor's max refresh rate but what about those cases where you would be getting 300 fps? Does gsync cap your framerate at the monitor's max refresh rate without the input lag of vsync or would you still get screen tearing in this scenario?

Water

Normally screen tearing would happen if your frame rate is above your monitor's refresh rate. For example, if I have a 60 hz monitor and I'm getting 300 fps in Street Fighter 4, there would be some tearing.
You should always get tearing when you don't have vsync on, even if you are at 60FPS or under, it'll just look different. With high FPS you'll see tear lines more frequently, even multiple tear lines per frame, but horizontal displacement at a given tear line should be less.
I know how gsync improves the smoothness of games below the monitor's max refresh rate but what about those cases where you would be getting 300 fps? Does gsync cap your framerate at the monitor's max refresh rate without the input lag of vsync or would you still get screen tearing in this scenario?
You never get tearing with G-sync.

At least in the G-sync implementation thus far, there is apparently a (game dependent) input lag downside from hitting the max refresh. Shouldn't be a big problem for most, and it goes away by capping max FPS slightly lower.
http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/

geordiemp

•Budget: £ 800 roughly UK to £ 1100

•Main Use: gaming 4, VR 4 (not sure if Occulus or whatever)

•Monitor Resolution: 1080p Sony living room TV W905 or Panasonic Ax802

• 1080p60. not bothered with PhysX / Super Sampling / CUDA etc

•Looking to reuse any parts? none, first time PC build

•When will you build?: This year, getting ready for VR

•Will you be overclocking?: No - don't want excessive heat...cool running

•form factor = want a flat type box (like large console) rather than a tower for under TV shelf. Will game with either 360 / Ps4 or XB1 controller

* other - Ethernet LAN connection, HDMI and and Digital Optical out required (Astro mix amp + headphones)

Been looking at Overclockers at prebuilt units, typically £ 1000 for cheapest I7 and a 970...Not cheap in UK

RGM79

•Budget: £ 800 roughly UK to £ 1100

•Main Use: gaming 4, VR 4 (not sure if Occulus or whatever)

•Monitor Resolution: 1080p Sony living room TV W905 or Panasonic Ax802

• 1080p60. not bothered with PhysX / Super Sampling / CUDA etc

•Looking to reuse any parts? none, first time PC build

•When will you build?: This year, getting ready for VR

•Will you be overclocking?: No - don't want excessive heat...cool running

•form factor = want a flat type box (like large console) rather than a tower for under TV shelf. Will game with either 360 / Ps4 or XB1 controller

* other - Ethernet LAN connection, HDMI and and Digital Optical out required (Astro mix amp + headphones)

Been looking at Overclockers at prebuilt units, typically £ 1000 for cheapest I7 and a 970...Not cheap in UK

Here's a starting build to work from:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£198.71 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£80.26 @ More Computers)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£50.91 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Silverstone ML07B HTPC Case (£51.00 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (£105.84 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Silverstone NT06-PRO 74.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£44.99)
Total: £531.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 12:12 GMT+0000

I don't know exactly when you play to buy and build it, but if you can wait, AMD should be releasing their R9 3XX line soon, at the very least that will provide some kind of competition for Nvidia's higher end GTX 970/980.

Depending on how much is spent on the graphics card, you may be able to fit a decent size SSD and regular hard drive in there. There's about half your maximum budget left to spend on those items.

Hey guys! I want to upgrade my PC and I already have a list created. I just want to see if it's the best to get for what I want.

Here's a link to the parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XVspJx

and for reference as to what I already have: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VCNzsY

my case is an HP case which can be found here:http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02863024

What I want to know is if the parts from the first list should be good enough to allow me to play games at high settings with at least 30fps. Also want to know if the case I chose is the right size for everything.

So my finished computer would basically be

AMD FX 6300
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard
MSI Radeon R9 280X
Kingston Fury White 8gb DDR3-1866
Corsair CX 600W

Thanks for any help!

.Anema

Hey GAF! I'm looking for some advice.
I work as a video editor for TV and digital advertising. At this time I have a Macbook Pro for my jobs without a problem, but now I want a desktop upgrade for a new project.
My plans are to sell the Macbook Pro and buy a desktop PC and a Macbook Air for portability. I wanted to buy a new iMac, but I'm tempted in return to a Windows based system, and maybe a Hackintosh (I was in the Hackintosh scene since OS X Tiger haha, funny times).

Your Current Specs: Quad Core i7 Macbook Pro
Budget: $1500 - $2000
Main Use: Video Editing
Light Gaming: 3
Gaming: 4
Emulation (PS2/Wii): 2
Video Editing: 5
Streaming games in HD: 1
3D/Model work (and what program): 5 (Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, DaVinci Resolve, 3Ds Max, Maya)
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback): No, that's the reason I will buy a Macbook Air.

Monitor Resolution: 1440p, I own an Asus.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, DaVinci Resolve, 3Ds Max, Maya.
Also some random gaming, I'm a console guy (WiiU/PS4 soon)

Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? CUDA and VRAM are very very important.

Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900): Nope
When will you build?: By the end of March
Will you be overclocking?: NO

Thanks in advance!

Chinbo37

If I only game at 1080p (comfy couch, no plans on going 4K yet), is the 970 recommended?

I currently have a GTX 680 that is still doing great considering I dont play a lot of super new releases. Some might advise to wait until the next series of GPUs come out, but the thing is if I sell my 680 now I can still get a fair amount of money for it, and if I wait then it wont be worth as much.

So 970 ok for just 1080p gaming for the next 2 years or so? Or better to wait/pay extra for the 980?

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Pretty much the same as posted before.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4340 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor (€140.84 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (€99.90 @ Caseking)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (€74.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€53.71 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card (€147.80 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case (€90.00)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (€84.90)
Total: €691.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-05 22:18 CET+0100

Other option is the Fractal Design Node 304, might work out a little cheaper, but its a cube type case.

Talked to a friend, he's willing to sell me his graphics card and PSU for a lot less than the suggested graphics card. I think the PSU is a little to big for the Silverstone case so might go with the Fractal Node one you suggested. (Though I'm not too keen on the shape)

Would the parts listed below work together? Also, since I might be able to save a fair bit of money on the graphics card and PSU, which i5 processor would you guys suggest?

CPU: Intel Core i3-4340 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor (€140.84 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (€99.90 @ Caseking)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (€74.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€53.71 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB (GV N670OC-2GD) - PCI-E
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (€90.00)
Power Supply: Corsair Power Supply (PSU) GS 600W Gaming Series 80 Plus

Celcius

°Temp. member
You should always get tearing when you don't have vsync on, even if you are at 60FPS or under, it'll just look different. With high FPS you'll see tear lines more frequently, even multiple tear lines per frame, but horizontal displacement at a given tear line should be less.

You never get tearing with G-sync.

At least in the G-sync implementation thus far, there is apparently a (game dependent) input lag downside from hitting the max refresh. Shouldn't be a big problem for most, and it goes away by capping max FPS slightly lower.

thanks

geordiemp

Here's a starting build to work from:

Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£80.26 @ More Computers)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£50.91 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Silverstone ML07B HTPC Case (£51.00 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (£105.84 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Silverstone NT06-PRO 74.0 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£44.99)
Total: £531.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 12:12 GMT+0000

I don't know exactly when you play to buy and build it, but if you can wait, AMD should be releasing their R9 3XX line soon, at the very least that will provide some kind of competition for Nvidia's higher end GTX 970/980.

Depending on how much is spent on the graphics card, you may be able to fit a decent size SSD and regular hard drive in there. There's about half your maximum budget left to spend on those items.

Thanks, never built anything before, I guess the mini ITX is almost getting like the Steam machines which is cool.

So could I change to I7 and add the 970 and go to 16 GB RAM (sorry am noob)

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/nYN9P6

Also daft question is the cooler you listed so much better than the standard cooler that comes with some CPU's...?

Drago

Realistically, how much could I overclock an i5 4690K if I'm using a Hyper 212 EVO cooler before it becomes insuffient for cooling the CPU down? Is it worth it?

knitoe

Realistically, how much could I overclock an i5 4690K if I'm using a Hyper 212 EVO cooler before it becomes insuffient for cooling the CPU down? Is it worth it?

4.0-4.5GHz. Just keep the temps under 85C under full load, like stress testing with Prime95. And, yes, it's totally worth it. A 4690K can only boost to 3.9GHz on 1 core, while at worst, you can OC to 4.0GHz on all 4 cores. That would make a big difference for programs able to use multiple cores.

LilJoka

Thanks, never built anything before, I guess the mini ITX is almost getting like the Steam machines which is cool.

So could I change to I7 and add the 970 and go to 16 GB RAM (sorry am noob)

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/nYN9P6

Also daft question is the cooler you listed so much better than the standard cooler that comes with some CPU's...?

The Xeon is the same as the 4790k except it doesnt have integrated graphics (no need if you have a GPU), and cant be overclocked. If you want the 4790k you'd be wanting a Z97 motherboard as the only advantage with that config is overclocking.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£31.30 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£99.95 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£56.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£273.98 @ Aria PC)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (£73.80 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£74.09 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £889.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 13:19 GMT+0000

Overclocking enabled build

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£263.94 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£96.74 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£99.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (£73.80 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £970.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 13:21 GMT+0000

See knitoe's post above about how much a small overclock can really help.

And i would swap the RAM for this
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-hx318c10fk216 as the next best cheapest option, as currently you have 1600Mhz CAS 10, you want 1600 CAS 9 or 1866 CAS 10.

Also youll probably want an SSD like a 128GB Crucial MX100 to make your new PC nice and snappy.

Drago

4.0-4.5GHz. Just keep the temps under 85C under full load, like stress testing with Prime95. And, yes, it's totally worth it. A 4690K can only boost to 3.9GHz on 1 core, while at worst, you can OC to 4.0GHz on all 4 cores. That would make a big difference for programs able to use multiple cores.
Guess I'll get myself a cooler for OC then. For the best really since the higher the clock the better it is for emulation I presume. Thanks!

riflen

There is no tearing with G-Sync enabled, regardless of the frame rate. In G-Sync mode, the maximum frame rate of the game is capped to 143fps. At this rate, the display is effectively operating as if V-Sync mode was in use. I believe blurbusters tested this and found G-Sync mode latencies were higher than V-Sync off in this scenario (+10ms). They also found that G-Sync mode at 120Hz has comparable latency to V-Sync off at 300fps, only without tearing.

The conclusion was that the 143fps limit is best avoided in G-Sync mode and the experience is better in G-Sync mode at 120Hz.

geordiemp

The Xeon is the same as the 4790k except it doesnt have integrated graphics (no need if you have a GPU), and cant be overclocked. If you want the 4790k you'd be wanting a Z97 motherboard as the only advantage with that config is overclocking.

Total: £889.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 13:19 GMT+0000

That looks really good, did not know the processor was same as I7 without integrated graphics, makes sense...

Last daft question, looks like the ITX no room for CD drive, which I would not use except to get windows on - is that correct ?

Edit ; probably better just getting a USB drive just for windows install

Smokey

I guess I should clarify -- CPU space as in the desktop arena. Do they have anything int he works to compete against Intel's lineup?

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Talked to a friend, he's willing to sell me his graphics card and PSU for a lot less than the suggested graphics card. I think the PSU is a little to big for the Silverstone case so might go with the Fractal Node one you suggested. (Though I'm not too keen on the shape)

Would the parts listed below work together? Also, since I might be able to save a fair bit of money on the graphics card and PSU, which i5 processor would you guys suggest?

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB (GV N670OC-2GD) - PCI-E
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (€90.00)
Power Supply: Corsair Power Supply (PSU) GS 600W Gaming Series 80 Plus

Sorry for quoting myself. I ran into some trouble with the above. No one outside of Sweden seems to be shipping it to Sweden and I can't find it here, so I could do with a new suggestion for a motherboard. Same price range if possible. Thanks!

Hey y'all. I'm at a loss as to what build I should do so I figured I would just post in here and get suggestions.

Your Current Specs: Using a Lenovo ideapad S400 Laptop (i3/4GB RAM/500 GB HD)
Budget: $800 (already have processor)
Main Use: (Main Use) Gaming, Streaming (Twitch), possible video editing for my YouTube channel, video playback and possible media server
Monitor Resolution: Guessing 1080p. Would like to make it as good as possible for my price and future proofed.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: World of Warcraft, pretty much any game out there (if I see it, I want to be able to play it). Video editing software (unsure which one at this point).
Looking to reuse any parts?: I have my Intel i7 4790k already. No other parts at the moment.
When will you build?: Not really in a hurry. Piecing it together over time.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not.

Note: I want to go with a 970 video card. I have been holding off to see if it gets a price drop any time soon so this will likely be my last piece bought. I've been debating on what type of case I'd like and I don't think this is a deal breaker for me. If its a bigger case then I want it to look good and have a window/possible lights. If its a smaller case then that's fine as well as long as its stylish. I just don't want a bland looking box.

Monitor price doesn't have to be factored in to the overall build price. I plan on doing a dual monitor at some point.

Key thing for me is having it last awhile without having to upgrade every month. I don't care as much about SSDs. If the price is right then I'd do it but I also need a larger hard drive if I am using it as a media machine.

Thanks guys. Feel free to ask any questions. I think I did an alright job at explaining what I want..

Rich!

I know no one will likely give a shit...but...

I am so fucking impressed with my GTX 970. It's incredible. Every single game I own I can now run at max settings at 60fps, even with downsampling. It's so good!! And the games I had issues with before on AMD (Street Fighter IV, Crysis, etc) now run perfectly. And it's increased performance with Wii/GC games in Dolphin too!

And the thing is absolutely silent (EVGA GTX 970) - I have pretty decent cooling in my PC anyway, but so far...the GPU fans haven't really been used at all!. Definitely recommended! But then again, I upgraded from a five year old 1GB AMD Radeon 6870, so obviously I would be impressed!!

kiyomi

I know no one will likely give a shit...but...

I am so fucking impressed with my GTX 970. It's incredible. Every single game I own I can now run at max settings at 60fps, even with downsampling. It's so good!! And the games I had issues with before on AMD (Street Fighter IV, Crysis, etc) now run perfectly. And it's increased performance with Wii/GC games in Dolphin too!

And the thing is absolutely silent (EVGA GTX 970) - I have pretty decent cooling in my PC anyway, but so far...the GPU fans haven't really been used at all!. Definitely recommended! But then again, I upgraded from a five year old 1GB AMD Radeon 6870, so obviously I would be impressed!!

Good card is good. Glad you're enjoying it.

Hey guys! I want to upgrade my PC and I already have a list created. I just want to see if it's the best to get for what I want.

my case is an HP case which can be found here:http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/p...r_na-c02863024

What I want to know is if the parts from the first list should be good enough to allow me to play games at high settings with at least 30fps. Also want to know if the case I chose is the right size for everything.

AMD FX 6300
MSI Radeon R9 280X
Corsair CX 600W

Thanks for any help!

jamie0601

Neo Member
I've finally decided to take my first foray in PC gaming after being talked into it by a few friends who have said they'll help me with building it and stuff. Knowing my friends though, I was hoping to run though my potential specs with GAF, just to get their opinion on them and hopefully a bit of advice on where I could potentially cut back or add towards. I'm looking at getting;

CPU: Intel i5 4690K (hopefully going to overclock it to about 4.2GHz)
CPU Cooler: Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: Ideally 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger
GPU: I was looking at the 290x but I think a GTX 980 may be better in the long term?
PSU: Corsair RM 750W Gold Certified.
SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5"SSD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: I'm unsure as to what case I'll need to fit everything in whilst maintaining a good air flow and keeping stuff cool?
OS: I've already got a version of Windows 7 that I'll be able to use until I look to upgrade later in the year.
Monitor: Ideally I want something that has 1440p playback as the improved resolution is something that sold me PC gaming, although 60Hz would be more than enough for me.

Budget is around £1200 although I have no problems with adding a bit more towards if it is going to benefit me in the long run. This is one of the reasons I'm leaning towards a GTX 980 with the idea of maybe dropping another one in after a year or two, to help make sure performance doesn't drop too much.

I'll mainly be using it for gaming at a minimum of 1080p, although ideally I'd like 1440p. 60fps would also be very nice although I'd be happy as long as it could play games at a smooth framerate above 30fps. In terms of games, I'd quite like to be able to play the the likes of Arkham Knight and Witcher at high settings so I can use my PS4 for exclusives.

I'd massively appreciate any pointers, thanks!

mkenyon

Banned

my case is an HP case which can be found here:http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/p...r_na-c02863024

AMD FX 6300
MSI Radeon R9 280X
Corsair CX 600W

Thanks for any help!
Looks good. The 6300 will hamper you a bit in some older engines, but should actually end up performing better on newer releases and newer engines.
I've finally decided to take my first foray in PC gaming after being talked into it by a few friends who have said they'll help me with building it and stuff. Knowing my friends though, I was hoping to run though my potential specs with GAF, just to get their opinion on them and hopefully a bit of advice on where I could potentially cut back or add towards. I'm looking at getting;

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£180.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.50 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£82.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£96.60 @ More Computers)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£134.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Aerocool DS Cube White Edition Silent Cube MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£53.76 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£67.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £642.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 17:43 GMT+0000
That's the basis with what you'll want. The GPU is a tricky one, though I think the 290X is such a good value (at least here in the states, can UKers confirm this?) that unless you have a ludicrous budget, that extra overhead would be better spent on a display.

As for displays, given that you want 1440p, I highly recommend waiting for the ASUS MG279Q. It's essentially going to be around the same price as most quality 1440p panels, but will be 120Hz and likely have a strobing ability for drastic blur reduction. It'll be in stores next month. I'm still going back and forth between this and the ASUS RoG Swift, and unless there's some drastic price cuts on the Swift, I see myself buying the exact same panel next month.

joecanada

hey pc gaf, I need help, I haven't built a pc probably since 1998, and I want to do it now. It's actually for my gf, mostly for school work, so I'm thinking the graphics card doesn't need to be great, but I don't want a total pos either. She would likely play the sims or simcity or some stuff on it so it should be able to do some gaming...

Her current pc is about 5 years old so should I just replace everything? I can grab the specs later but it's basically obsolete. I am wondering though do I need a new DVD player, case , etc right off the top? or would this be okay to keep even for the short term?

can someone put together an approximately 500-600$ system in this range, and is it really that much cheaper to build your own? it sure appears that way from looking at the shit I see in future shop and online.

also her monitor is okay so probably will keep that for now. I actually am liking the idea of replacing stuff every few years rather than everything all at once.

would something like this work? or am I going too low on cpu ? http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

hey pc gaf, I need help, I haven't built a pc probably since 1998, and I want to do it now. It's actually for my gf, mostly for school work, so I'm thinking the graphics card doesn't need to be great, but I don't want a total pos either. She would likely play the sims or simcity or some stuff on it so it should be able to do some gaming...

Her current pc is about 5 years old so should I just replace everything? I can grab the specs later but it's basically obsolete. I am wondering though do I need a new DVD player, case , etc right off the top? or would this be okay to keep even for the short term?

can someone put together an approximately 500-600$ system in this range, and is it really that much cheaper to build your own? it sure appears that way from looking at the shit I see in future shop and online.

also her monitor is okay so probably will keep that for now. I actually am liking the idea of replacing stuff every few years rather than everything all at once.

would something like this work? or am I going too low on cpu ? http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

What kind of school work does she need it to do?

Depending on the case and disc drive, you might be able to re-use those. How often does she use a disc drive?

Your PCPP link appears empty on my end.

kennah

Probably the AOC G2460PG. In the UK, 1920x1080 G-Sync displays start at ~£350.

There's also 24" Acer which starts at the same price.

Hmm... I could probably swing $300 for a monitor if I don't water cool.

Would have to get a 4690 or xeon instead of a 4790K though. Not sure I'm willing to do that quite yet. I'm on a 4 year upgrade cycle. (stagger GPU and CPU upgrades every two years. This year is a CPU upgrade, in two years I'll pick up a cheap 970, then Upgrade the i7 in 4 years)

Your Current Specs: i3-3220, 8Gigs Samsung Magic Ram, Gigabyte H67N-B3, Evga GTX670 4gig, Silverstone 450W Bronze SFX / Compact Splash case / 128gig 830, 1tb WD2.5" 60gig Msata SSD
Budget: $800 Canada (Can import from the Minneapolis Microcenter)
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Light Gaming -5
AAA Gaming - 3
Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 0
Video Editing - 4
Streaming games in HD - 0
3D/Model work (and what program) - 0
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 3

Monitor Resolution: Currently have a 19" CRT and a 22" 1680x1050 monitor. Undecided on buying a new monitor.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I play BL2, The Witcher, Single player games. I don't play multiplayer games often.
Is 30FPS acceptable? 30 FPS is fine, 120 FPS is fine. 60 FPS makes me nauseous...
How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? Pretty important. CUDA is good for what I do.
Looking to reuse any parts?: I'd reuse as much as I can. I need to purchase pump and two radiators to water-cool, or an H60 if I don't.
When will you build?: within the next 6 weeks. Anything ordered from the States would have to come up in the next three weeks.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not. I'd like a board with MSATA because the case I'm using can only support 2x 2.5" drives (when water-cooled, if I don't water cool there would be room for more drives, but I would have to fabricate a mounting bracket for it)

joecanada

What kind of school work does she need it to do?

Depending on the case and disc drive, you might be able to re-use those. How often does she use a disc drive?

Your PCPP link appears empty on my end.

she doesn't use the DVD drive much at all - see never lol. school work ranges mostly from word and excel to a lot of research online (videos, streaming, multiple windows open at a time, etc)

also the link works for me? sorry bout that , can you copy the link from the permalink like this?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/p9dtqs

edit - btw thanks for responding I want to do this but I don't want to screw it up either lol.
also i just realized prices are probably american...

she doesn't use the DVD drive much at all - see never lol. school work ranges mostly from word and excel to a lot of research online (videos, streaming, multiple windows open at a time, etc)

also the link works for me? sorry bout that , can you copy the link from the permalink like this?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/p9dtqs

edit - btw thanks for responding I want to do this but I don't want to screw it up either lol.
also i just realized prices are probably american...

this link should probably be more accurate for you

here's my attempt at a $600 build w/o case or optical drive (assuming your existing case is ITX)

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($139.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($72.37 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($155.06 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $586.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 14:01 EST-0500

more or less better everything. you can also drop the CPU cooler and put that extra $40 toward... well, anything (but mostly GPU or CPU).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom