• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good. The 6300 will hamper you a bit in some older engines, but should actually end up performing better on newer releases and newer engines.

Sweet. I'm hoping with the multi-core consoles that it'll be more common for devs to put out games that really take advantage of all cores in a CPU.

she doesn't use the DVD drive much at all - see never lol. school work ranges mostly from word and excel to a lot of research online (videos, streaming, multiple windows open at a time, etc)

also the link works for me? sorry bout that , can you copy the link from the permalink like this?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/p9dtqs

edit - btw thanks for responding I want to do this but I don't want to screw it up either lol.
also i just realized prices are probably american...

Yeah, the prices (and retailers) are U.S. From what country are you purchasing?

The new link you provided works, the previous link probably worked because you're signed into the website on your PC.

Is the case you want to re-use an ITX case? If it's not, there's no reason for an ITX motherboard.

lord

Hello I just bought a 500 GB BX100, very happy :)

I am happy with that purchase, but I'm also about to drop some more serious dough on several other parts, please tell me what do you think:

ATX X99-PRO, S-2011-v3, Intel X99

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

Intel Core i7-5820K, 3.2 GHz

ADATA DDR4, PC4-17000 (2133 MHz), CL15, 4 GB. x 4

longdi

Banned
Hello I just bought a 500 GB BX100, very happy :)

I am happy with that purchase, but I'm also about to drop some more serious dough on several other parts, please tell me what do you think:

ATX X99-PRO, S-2011-v3, Intel X99

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

Intel Core i7-5820K, 3.2 GHz

ADATA DDR4, PC4-17000 (2133 MHz), CL15, 4 GB. x 4

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MTSWMVQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cheapest DDR4 2400Mhz iirc.

Asus X99S would be better than X99Pro if you dont need the Wifi.

joecanada

this link should probably be more accurate for you

here's my attempt at a $600 build w/o case or optical drive (assuming your existing case is ITX)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($139.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($72.37 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($155.06 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $586.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 14:01 EST-0500

more or less better everything. you can also drop the CPU cooler and put that extra $40 toward... well, anything (but mostly GPU or CPU).

well better everything sounds okay lol. how does it compare to something like this then at retail?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...9d3a2c6f3f45b043b42aab9en02&SearchPageIndex=1

also can you also show me a similar build say around 100 dollars cheaper say 500 ...
I see some of the places are canadian but not sure if the prices are listed in Cdn dollar. Edit - actually some of the prices are from amazon.ca and whatnot so that's very good news!!!! thanks!

jamie0601

Neo Member
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£180.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.50 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£82.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£96.60 @ More Computers)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£134.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Aerocool DS Cube White Edition Silent Cube MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£53.76 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£67.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £642.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 17:43 GMT+0000
That's the basis with what you'll want. The GPU is a tricky one, though I think the 290X is such a good value (at least here in the states, can UKers confirm this?) that unless you have a ludicrous budget, that extra overhead would be better spent on a display.

As for displays, given that you want 1440p, I highly recommend waiting for the ASUS MG279Q. It's essentially going to be around the same price as most quality 1440p panels, but will be 120Hz and likely have a strobing ability for drastic blur reduction. It'll be in stores next month. I'm still going back and forth between this and the ASUS RoG Swift, and unless there's some drastic price cuts on the Swift, I see myself buying the exact same panel next month.

Thanks for the pointers, I really appreciate it! The 290X is definitely the better value of the two but I was a bit wary of the amount of heat it kicks up? I was originally looking at the GTX 970 but the whole 3.5GB thing threw me off a bit. I'll have a wait about for that monitor too, although I wouldn't want to be paying any more than £300-350 on a monitor if I could? Also, one of my friends is adamant that I'll need both an SSD and HDD too, is that not the case?

mkenyon

Banned
I think that price range is kind of difficult in terms of finding a quality 1440p panel. You may have to be content with 1080p@120/144Hz or spring for one of the Korean IPS panels like the QNIX Evolution II.

No, definitely do not need a HDD. 500GB + Steam is way more than enough. I've been on a 240GB drive for ~4 years now and never have issues with space.

Just a reminder to clean out your desktop regularly. I just dusted mine out today. My computer is going to turn 4 years old this month. Buying quality parts as well as cleaning and maintaining your computer can make a world of difference.

knitoe

Just a reminder to clean out your desktop regularly. I just dusted mine out today. My computer is going to turn 4 years old this month. Buying quality parts as well as cleaning and maintaining your computer can make a world of difference.
81Ojsu7roYL._SX522_.jpg

I use this. Just point and blow them out. Cleaning done in minutes. Well worth the money.

kiyomi

On the subject of cleaning, how safe is it to use a very soft brush and gently swipe away dirt/dust from components? I've had my first PC for a while now and neglected to clean it outside of washing dust filters.

And no, I can't afford one of those Datavac cleaners, they're more than twice the price here in the UK. Anything else I can use?

On the subject of cleaning, how safe is it to use a very soft brush and gently swipe away dirt/dust from components? I've had my first PC for a while now and neglected to clean it outside of washing dust filters.

And no, I can't afford one of those Datavac cleaners, they're more than twice the price here in the UK. Anything else I can use?

Before I had the data vac, I used canned air. Be careful with those though because if you put the can upside down, liquid can squirt on to your components. Canned air ends up costing you more in the long run and is limited by getting frozen.

You can brush things like fans, but be careful putting a brush near circuit boards and chips since brushes can have static electricity.

well better everything sounds okay lol. how does it compare to something like this then at retail?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...9d3a2c6f3f45b043b42aab9en02&SearchPageIndex=1

very favorably. there's not much use for that extra 4GB in the prebuilt and the CPU/GPU are both worse than if you just got that i3 + R7 260X

also can you also show me a similar build say around 100 dollars cheaper say 500 ...
I see some of the places are canadian but not sure if the prices are listed in Cdn dollar. Edit - actually some of the prices are from amazon.ca and whatnot so that's very good news!!!! thanks!

unfortunately i'll need to leave that to someone else, because i am terrible at coming up with builds under $600.

jamie0601

Neo Member
I think that price range is kind of difficult in terms of finding a quality 1440p panel. You may have to be content with 1080p@120/144Hz or spring for one of the Korean IPS panels like the QNIX Evolution II.

No, definitely do not need a HDD. 500GB + Steam is way more than enough. I've been on a 240GB drive for ~4 years now and never have issues with space.

I've seen a few 1440p monitors on Amazon that run at 60Hz but I'm not entirely sure on their quality so I may hold off a month or so and save a bit extra for a good quality panel. That way I may be able to get a GTX 970/980 and hopefully the new AMD cards will be out by then, so the price may have gone down a touch!

Thanks for the info too, I'll probably just grab the one storage drive!

NoRéN

Feeling like improving my monitor. Currently playing video games at 60hz/1080p on a 24" monitor.

What kind of budget would I need for a decent 120hz monitorn but no smaller than 24"?

KePoW

Banned
I've never used a 120hz monitor before, but what's the point of them?? I don't think you can actually see a difference past 60fps?

kennah

NoRéN;154891108 said:
Feeling like improving my monitor. Currently playing video games at 60hz/1080p on a 24" monitor.

What kind of budget would I need for a decent 120hz monitorn but no smaller than 24"?
Look at the aoc one I was linked earlier. Found it for $300

joecanada

very favorably. there's not much use for that extra 4GB in the prebuilt and the CPU/GPU are both worse than if you just got that i3 + R7 260X

unfortunately i'll need to leave that to someone else, because i am terrible at coming up with builds under $600.

Haha that's OK you gotta have your standards lol, I see pcbuilder has a lot of builds too so I can use your build and if I need to save money maybe go for less ram initially and upgrade later. Great start going!

RGM79

Hey GAF! I'm looking for some advice.
I work as a video editor for TV and digital advertising. At this time I have a Macbook Pro for my jobs without a problem, but now I want a desktop upgrade for a new project.
My plans are to sell the Macbook Pro and buy a desktop PC and a Macbook Air for portability. I wanted to buy a new iMac, but I'm tempted in return to a Windows based system, and maybe a Hackintosh (I was in the Hackintosh scene since OS X Tiger haha, funny times).

Your Current Specs: Quad Core i7 Macbook Pro
Budget: $1500 - $2000
Main Use: Video Editing
Light Gaming: 3
Gaming: 4
Emulation (PS2/Wii): 2
Video Editing: 5
Streaming games in HD: 1
3D/Model work (and what program): 5 (Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, DaVinci Resolve, 3Ds Max, Maya)
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback): No, that's the reason I will buy a Macbook Air.

Monitor Resolution: 1440p, I own an Asus.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, DaVinci Resolve, 3Ds Max, Maya.
Also some random gaming, I'm a console guy (WiiU/PS4 soon)

Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? CUDA and VRAM are very very important.

Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900): Nope
When will you build?: By the end of March
Will you be overclocking?: NO

Thanks in advance!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($369.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($166.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($181.44 @ Adorama)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1755.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 15:36 EST-0500

I believe some if not all of the programs you use also work well with openCL so cheaper AMD graphics cards may be an option (you can get two R9 290/290X for around the price of a single GTX 980). There are also R9 290X models with 8GB VRAM in the $430 range which I admittedly am not sure if it would be a notable improvement over 4GB VRAM (perhaps for higher resolutions like 4K?) for video editing purposes. Still, the option exists.

Hey y'all. I'm at a loss as to what build I should do so I figured I would just post in here and get suggestions.

Your Current Specs: Using a Lenovo ideapad S400 Laptop (i3/4GB RAM/500 GB HD)
Budget: $800 (already have processor)
Main Use: (Main Use) Gaming, Streaming (Twitch), possible video editing for my YouTube channel, video playback and possible media server
Monitor Resolution: Guessing 1080p. Would like to make it as good as possible for my price and future proofed.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: World of Warcraft, pretty much any game out there (if I see it, I want to be able to play it). Video editing software (unsure which one at this point).
Looking to reuse any parts?: I have my Intel i7 4790k already. No other parts at the moment.
When will you build?: Not really in a hurry. Piecing it together over time.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not.

Note: I want to go with a 970 video card. I have been holding off to see if it gets a price drop any time soon so this will likely be my last piece bought. I've been debating on what type of case I'd like and I don't think this is a deal breaker for me. If its a bigger case then I want it to look good and have a window/possible lights. If its a smaller case then that's fine as well as long as its stylish. I just don't want a bland looking box.

Monitor price doesn't have to be factored in to the overall build price. I plan on doing a dual monitor at some point.

Key thing for me is having it last awhile without having to upgrade every month. I don't care as much about SSDs. If the price is right then I'd do it but I also need a larger hard drive if I am using it as a media machine.

Thanks guys. Feel free to ask any questions. I think I did an alright job at explaining what I want..

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($116.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($323.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $807.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 16:12 EST-0500

You are aware of the GTX 970's memory issues, right? It's your choice, but I feel that the R9 290 is a better card to recommend for slightly less performance at a much lower price, like this Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X for $280 after $20 rebate. The GTX 970 does have its advantages in performance and low noise, though.

I don't know over how long a time period you intended to buy parts, if it's any longer than 2 months, you may be better served by waiting before buying as AMD's new R9 3XX line of graphics cards will be coming out in around that time.

mkenyon

Banned
I've never used a 120hz monitor before, but what's the point of them?? I don't think you can actually see a difference past 60fps?
Though I do think you are being sincere, I just want to make sure you are before I respond. I mean, this is NeoGAF and all.
NoRéN;154891108 said:

$220-300 depending on when sales come around.

Price is right around $500 with drops on current prices, the pic doesn't accurately reflect that.

jNFdjRy.png

That's as cheap as I can recommend, and the price should be a smidgen lower due to prices dropping on a number of the components.

Otherwise, I'd suggest checking out Craigslist or some such thing for a used build.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
When do DX12 cards refresh arrive? I'm totally out of the loop due to house building, moving, and furnishing, but I was to play Witcher 3 at 1080p on my HTPC like butter. My CPU is Ivy i7 @ 4.6 GHz all cores. 16 GB RAM. So basically my AMD 6950 is the problem. Please advise.

Sincerely,
teh_pwn

KePoW

Banned
Though I do think you are being sincere, I just want to make sure you are before I respond. I mean, this is NeoGAF and all

u done fuked up

mkenyon gonna get ya

It's completely true that I have never used a 120hz monitor before myself, so I'm not an expert in these things. I just have a hard time imagining anything over 60fps making that much a visible difference, but that's purely a guess on my part

I mean... isn't there definitely some numerical limit where people cannot see a large difference? I don't know if it's 60, but there's gotta be a limit somewhere.

Also another thing -- wouldn't it be different for different people?

mkenyon

Banned
u done fuked up

mkenyon gonna get ya
ZOMG LIKE DONT YOU KNOW THERE'S FIGHTER PILOTS THAT CAN SEE LIKE 250FPS

But seriously, the human eye can see a ridiculously high refresh rate. I'm not sure how that wives tale of 60 started. Probably arcade/console guys talking about how their machines were just fine when the snob PC crowd in the 90s was talking about their 85-120+ Hz CRTs running Q3 PicMip at 300+ FPS.

*edit* @post above

Yeah, it is different for different people, but it's still like a lower boundary of 5ms (200ish Hz). 120/144Hz is, IMHO, the single most impactful thing on my gameplaying experience since broadband.

I had an 85Hz CRT screen way back in the day, and used picmip for dem frames, but since I was a kid at the time I didn't really understand. I made the switch over to LCDs back when they were still 4:3. So going back to the high refresh rate was seriously mindblowing.

Like, when I go back home and get on my PC, it's like my eyeballs are being massaged.

I understand that I sound hyperbolic, but it really is that great to me.

Primus

New GAFfer, looking for advice.

I've got an aging i7-920 (stock) w/12GB RAM. I had been planning on putting together a new gaming rig right around now, but Skylake showing up earlier than expected put those plans on hold. I expect I'm going to hang tight until the end of the year, and hope to bag some deals on Black Friday.

In the interim, though, my GTX 460 is starting to show its age. My now-scrapped upgrade was going to have a GTX 970 (yes, yes, I know), and I do know that the rumors are that NVidia's next generation isn't probably going to be out until 2016. Would it be worthwhile to still pick up the GTX 970 now? While I do run dual monitors for productivity (InDesign, Premiere, Illustrator, Lightroom), my gaming is 1080p single monitor. And Shadows of Mordor could certainly use the extra oomph.

RGM79

New GAFfer, looking for advice.

I've got an aging i7-920 (stock) w/12GB RAM. I had been planning on putting together a new gaming rig right around now, but Skylake showing up earlier than expected put those plans on hold. I expect I'm going to hang tight until the end of the year, and hope to bag some deals on Black Friday.

In the interim, though, my GTX 460 is starting to show its age. My now-scrapped upgrade was going to have a GTX 970 (yes, yes, I know), and I do know that the rumors are that NVidia's next generation isn't probably going to be out until 2016. Would it be worthwhile to still pick up the GTX 970 now? While I do run dual monitors for productivity (InDesign, Premiere, Illustrator, Lightroom), my gaming is 1080p single monitor. And Shadows of Mordor could certainly use the extra oomph.

The R9 290 will be cheaper than the GTX 970 and offers comparable performance.

OraleeWey

Hey guys, so I think I'm going to go for it. This is what was suggested to me.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($321.98 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($339.99 @ Micro Center)

Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($71.00 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)

Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($278.99 @ NCIX US)

This is a good $1,500 setup? I'd like to be able to play 1080p and 120fps. Also some video editing on the side. Am I good to go?

Games I'd like to run, GTA V, DayZ, Fallout 3, Arma 3, Crysis (1-3). and especially The Witcher 3. All at 1080p and 120 FPS (60FPS is acceptable)

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Computer started up but no display... Hit the reset button.... computer rebooted then showed UFEI bios and restarted loading windows normally
No errors showed up

Strange

RGM79

Hey guys, so I think I'm going to go for it. This is what was suggested to me.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($321.98 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($339.99 @ Micro Center)

Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($71.00 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)

This is a good $1,500 setup? I'd like to be able to play 1080p and 120fps. Also some video editing on the side. Am I good to go?

Games I'd like to run, GTA V, DayZ, Fallout 3, Arma 3, Crysis (1-3). and especially The Witcher 3. All at 1080p and 120 FPS (60FPS is acceptable)

There's faster memory for just a few dollars more. The R9 290X can be had for cheaper. There's also a combo discount I found for the faster RAM and a Powercolor R9 290X PCS+. There's also a cheaper bronze rated EVGA model power supply.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($283.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1413.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 18:38 EST-0500

About $66 was saved over the old build with virtually no drop in performance. I don't know if you want to put that towards getting extra RAM, a hard drive for more storage, or anything else?

OraleeWey

There's faster memory for just a few dollars more. The R9 290X can be had for cheaper. There's also a combo discount I found for the faster RAM and a Powercolor R9 290X PCS+. There's also a cheaper bronze rated EVGA model power supply.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1413.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 18:38 EST-0500

About $66 was saved over the old build with virtually no drop in performance. I don't know if you want to put that towards getting extra RAM, a hard drive for more storage, or anything else?
Grrr... I already had planned out what to buy and from where. Let me do tht again. But yes, i wanted 16gb ram total. If possible, or if needed at all.

I'm going to go ahead and get the CPU, CPU Cooler, Motherboard, and Graphics Card from Micro Center. The CPU is $280 in store anyway. The hour drive will be worth it.

mkenyon

Banned
RGM doing god's work.

BTW, I rec'd that motherboard based on the fact that they needed an optical out for their virtual surround headphones. I always have a really hard time putting in ASRock boards when someone has a larger budget like that, but if you know of anything better that would save a few pennies, plz do rec.

Hmm... I could probably swing $300 for a monitor if I don't water cool.

Would have to get a 4690 or xeon instead of a 4790K though. Not sure I'm willing to do that quite yet. I'm on a 4 year upgrade cycle. (stagger GPU and CPU upgrades every two years. This year is a CPU upgrade, in two years I'll pick up a cheap 970, then Upgrade the i7 in 4 years)

If you are replacing cpu on 4 years cycle then you might want to wait for Broadwell-K which should arrive in June.

Also if you are replacing gpu every 4 years then 120 Hz monitor might be a waste of money

RGM79

Grrr... I already had planned out what to buy and from where. Let me do tht again. But yes, i wanted 16gb ram total. If possible, or if needed at all.

I'm going to go ahead and get the CPU, CPU Cooler, Motherboard, and Graphics Card from Micro Center. The CPU is $280 in store anyway. The hour drive will be worth it.
Sorry, didn't realize that. Had to go back earlier to read earlier posts in the thread for context. Besides Microcenter, are there any other retailers you would prefer to order parts from?

I'm reworking the list for Microcenter now.

OraleeWey

Sorry, didn't realize that. Had to go back earlier to read earlier posts in the thread for context. Besides Microcenter, are there any other retailers you would prefer to order parts from?

I'm reworking the list for Microcenter now.

It's not a big deal. I just had it planned out. You can go ahead and suggest anything, I can buy from anywhere that uses paypal and is trusted.

RGM79

It's not a big deal. I just had it planned out. You can go ahead and suggest anything, I can buy from anywhere that uses paypal and is trusted.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind.

RGM doing god's work.

BTW, I rec'd that motherboard based on the fact that they needed an optical out for their virtual surround headphones. I always have a really hard time putting in ASRock boards when someone has a larger budget like that, but if you know of anything better that would save a few pennies, plz do rec.

Thanks! Well, if he's going to Microcenter for the CPU+motherboard and other parts, there's the 4790K+ASRock Z97 Pro4 bundle for $330. The motherboard essentially costs just $50 in that bundle, and it does have digital out. That'd mean going with a different case, though..

OraleeWey

RGM79

Everything is coming together well :)

It's turning out very well. Here's what you get for just under $1440.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1437.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 19:22 EST-0500

So that's with the CPU and motherboard bundle from Microcenter, and the RAM and graphics card bundle from Newegg. Managed to fit a better CPU cooler, 16GB of RAM, an 850 watt power supply, and the more expensive Air 540 case. The two bundles are pretty decent, they're saving you around $75 over the cost of the parts if purchased individually.

Now the 850 watt power supply is just there if you want the option for crossfiring two R9 290X graphics cards in the future. If twin graphics cards aren't your thing, then stick with the 750 watt model to save a bit of money. Are you sure you don't want a 1TB or 2TB hard drive? There's enough money left for that.

KePoW

Banned
Yeah, it is different for different people, but it's still like a lower boundary of 5ms (200ish Hz). 120/144Hz is, IMHO, the single most impactful thing on my gameplaying experience since broadband

whoa wat the heck... is that serious for real??? I'll just have to find some way to see a 120hz monitor for myself

OraleeWey

It's turning out very well. Here's what you get for just under $1440.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1437.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 19:22 EST-0500

So that's with the CPU and motherboard bundle from Microcenter, and the RAM and graphics card bundle from Newegg. Managed to fit a better CPU cooler, 16GB of RAM, an 850 watt power supply, and the more expensive Air 540 case. The two bundles are pretty decent, they're saving you around $75 over the cost of the parts if purchased individually.

Now the 850 watt power supply is just there if you want the option for crossfiring two R9 290X graphics cards in the future. If twin graphics cards aren't your thing, then stick with the 750 watt model to save a bit of money. Are you sure you don't want a 1TB or 2TB hard drive? There's enough money left for that.
Hey ive sent you a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom