• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
What case is it anyway?

Lian-Li PC-O7S

It's a wall-mountable, all metal case:

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-o7s/

There are certain cases I've fallen in love the moment I saw them. The LD PC-V7 did it to me a few years ago. And even at $500, I knew it's what I was going to build in, and eventually did. Then it was the In-Win S-Frame - which I still absolutely love; but it's $800+. And now there's this. I love how robust and varied the high-end case market has gotten in the last four years or so, and even moreso just in the last two.

Like.... I can't believe the "Murderbox" MrkII is actually going to finally be a thing here soon.

570HD? GTX 570?

What are your current PC specs?

If you're willing to break that limit, a Radeon 290 is fastest.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=152&sort=a8&page=1

If you're not, then a Radeon 280X is the fastest in your budget:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=148&sort=a8&page=1

Alternatively there's the GTX 960. Slightly slower than the 280X on average. It's biggest problem is only 2GB, and the 4GB versions approach the 290 price too much. Of course, the 960 sips power, if you are willing to sacrifice frames for watts then it's acceptable compared to the pricier 280X:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=208&sort=a8&page=1

And there's the Radeon 280. Equal performance to the 960, but 3GB so it may age better. 960 still uses way less power though:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=167&sort=a8&page=1

Seems to be all the choices for you.

Thanks for the suggestions! Ended up finding a used 280X for 150. Would have sprung for the 290 but no one in my area is selling any.

It was a GTX570 by the way. The name on the card actually has GTX570 HD and it makes me laugh.

The_Poet

Banned
Yes I did and it does seem like a common complaint. Alot of people say to pick the acer over the Asus due to IPS but then alot of people are also saying that the Asus when calibrated has just as good of colors as an IPS panel.

When I'm spending 1000 on a monitor I want to be fully happy with it you know?

Where are people saying that calibrated asus colours are just as good?

I would be wary of reading too many forum reviews and stick to proper review websites where they see many more monitors then the average user.

Gritesh

Where are people saying that calibrated asus colours are just as good?

I would be wary of reading too many forum reviews and stick to proper review websites where they see many more monitors then the average user.

I'm going to play with the acer some more when I get home from work. I haven't calibrated it yet and people say out of the box the brightness is set at 100 when it should be around 30.

Maybe that will help eliminate he light bleed from my corners.
Its too bad the stand and bezel are so ugly compared to the Asus. The proper thing would be to wait for the Asus IPS gsync coming but it might be a few months away...

Lagamorph

How do you get the MSI Afterburner overlay working in games? It displays ok on the Heaven benchmark, but I can't get it to show up during any games except Far Cry 4. Anything from Steam or Origin and I can't get it to show up.

Currently got the toggle options as F1, F2 and F3

RGM79

How do you get the MSI Afterburner overlay working in games? It displays ok on the Heaven benchmark, but I can't get it to show up during any games except Far Cry 4. Anything from Steam or Origin and I can't get it to show up.

Currently got the toggle options as F1, F2 and F3

Check the Rivatuner icon in the system tray. From there look at the window settings, I believe "show own statistics" should be enabled, among other things.

derder

I'm looking to build a beast of a rig in July. First and foremost, I'd like to base my build on Oculus and high performance monitor support.

I'd like to get a 34" 21:9 120+Hz Freesync/Gsync monitor. What I'm looking for is GPU reviews that compare 21:9 1440p or 1080p performance for single-GPUs.

Is there a good 21:9 resolution review resource or is 21:9 analogous to 4k performance?

Azzurri

Gold Member
I'm looking to build a beast of a rig in July. First and foremost, I'd like to base my build on Oculus and high performance monitor support.

I'd like to get a 34" 21:9 120+Hz Freesync/Gsync monitor. What I'm looking for is GPU reviews that compare 21:9 1440p or 1080p performance for single-GPUs.

Is there a good 21:9 resolution review resource or is 21:9 analogous to 4k performance?

I'm looking for the same thing, but i don't think there is one out.

Help me out D:

f3e3f846b7eaf30ad45e6ddfd244312e.jpg

Hmm would anyone be willing to steam/skype group help me when i start building my pc ? I'd be happy for you folks to chime in and give your opinions on what's the best for what and etc ...

bigace33

Ok, I just bought an i5 4460 based computer for around the price of an Alienware Alpha or a PS4. Tell me I didn't make a bad decision PC GAF. I'm going to put my current 760 GPU and 600w power source in it, and add both of my current 1TB hdds all from my current comp. This is the computer that I ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-K450e-57328801-DOORBUSTER-Generation/dp/B00KNM55SM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435346620&sr=8-1&keywords=Lenovo+K450e+-+57328801&pebp=1435346624123&perid=13ZRKVCDS9VD8JVFDV0T

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hmm would anyone be willing to steam/skype group help me when i start building my pc ? I'd be happy for you folks to chime in and give your opinions on what's the best for what and etc ...
There are build videos in the OP and a big bullet point list of what to fill out. You did Read the OP, right?
Ok, I just bought an i5 4460 based computer for around the price of an Alienware Alpha or a PS4. Tell me I didn't make a bad decision PC GAF. I'm going to put my current 760 GPU and 600w power source in it, and add both of my current 1TB hdds all from my current comp. This is the computer that I ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-K450e-57328801-DOORBUSTER-Generation/dp/B00KNM55SM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435346620&sr=8-1&keywords=Lenovo+K450e+-+57328801&pebp=1435346624123&perid=13ZRKVCDS9VD8JVFDV0T
Should be fine if motherboard takes and fits standard ATX power supplies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yikes! If? I caught this at Lenovo.com for $499, but if it's not really expandable then I don't want it.
Sometimes companies will use non standard ATX pinouts for the power supply. It's mostly in the past and it looks like your system will fit regular ATX.
Just saying it's not 100%, but pretttty high :p

Google confirms*
Update. I picked up a corsair 750 and an nvidia brand 970gtx at the best buy. The psu fit just fine, run all of the connections before you try and squueze it in. Also, the graphics card is massive...and it fit great. Had to move some wires around and do some creative wire management but it is all setup. Thanks Everyone

Dk0En6e.png

yatesl

So I'm having a tech issue. I've always had issues with Nvidia's drivers - whenever I try to install an update for one, my system always gets a black screen, then just forcefully reboots after 20 seconds. It seems to install properly, but it's very strange.

Anyway, in preperation for Batman (lol), I go in to Safe Mode and uninstall my Nvidia drivers, disable my integrated Intel ones, and then do a completely fresh install of the Nvidia ones back in normal mode. Everything seems to go OK.

Now, however, logging in to Windows takes a good minute or more - enough time for it to stay on "loading" (or whatever it says) for the lock screen to come back down, and then finally pop back up when it goes through.

This has only started since I installed the driver - before this, I'm on an SSD, so it'd take seconds. I've tried disabling Nvidia stuff from msconfig's start up, as well as check shell:startup, but nothing's sorted it.

It's not a major issue as I'll be installing Windows 10 in a month's time, but I wondered if anyone knows a quick fix?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I'm having a tech issue. I've always had issues with Nvidia's drivers - whenever I try to install an update for one, my system always gets a black screen, then just forcefully reboots after 20 seconds. It seems to install properly, but it's very strange.

Anyway, in preperation for Batman (lol), I go in to Safe Mode and uninstall my Nvidia drivers, disable my integrated Intel ones, and then do a completely fresh install of the Nvidia ones back in normal mode. Everything seems to go OK.

Now, however, logging in to Windows takes a good minute or more - enough time for it to stay on "loading" (or whatever it says) for the lock screen to come back down, and then finally pop back up when it goes through.

This has only started since I installed the driver - before this, I'm on an SSD, so it'd take seconds. I've tried disabling Nvidia stuff from msconfig's start up, as well as check shell:startup, but nothing's sorted it.

It's not a major issue as I'll be installing Windows 10 in a month's time, but I wondered if anyone knows a quick fix?
You can run CCleaner then give DDU a shot.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I honestly don't know what 2TB to recommend.

Also 1TB Blues are $48 right now, good lord.
You suggest I reinstall the Nvidia drivers?

For what it's worth, it only seems to be on initial boot. If I log off, and log back in, I'm straight on.
Isn't it setting up stuff / going past the Windows auto install stuff then?
Either way if you feel there's some stuff lingering around give DDU a shot after running a CCleaner on Registry and regular cleanup.

I honestly don't know what 2TB to recommend.

Also 1TB Blues are $48 right now, good lord.

Either way if you feel there's some stuff lingering around give DDU a shot after running a CCleaner on Registry and regular cleanup.

Were you the one who said all hard drives over 2TB are not to be trusted? I've got like 700 gigs of music and would prefer not to have a bunch of HDs when I upgrade. Currently have a 128GB Crucial 300 SSD, 640GB Black, and a 1 TB Green, all of which are flirting with capacity (and would be full if I didn't cut back on the steam downloads).

Was planning on a 500GB or 1 TB SSD, a 1-2 TB Media/Steam drive , and then a larger storage drive.

You need to be more specific if you want more than vague answers.

Start with the survey in the op
Do you need a keyboard, mouse, monitor?
What games? What settings? What resolution? What framerate?

Help us help you.

Budget: 1200 USD (will need keyboard, mouse, and monitor)
Main Use: 5
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Battlefield 4, GTA V, Battelfront..Pretty much any new game at 1080p 60FPS or higher.
When will you build?: ASAP
Will you be overclocking?: No

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Were you the one who said all hard drives over 2TB are not to be trusted? I've got like 700 gigs of music and would prefer not to have a bunch of HDs when I upgrade. Currently have a 128GB Crucial 300 SSD, 640GB Black, and a 1 TB Green, all of which are flirting with capacity (and would be full if I didn't cut back on the steam downloads).

Was planning on a 500GB or 1 TB SSD, a 1-2 TB Media/Steam drive , and then a larger storage drive.
I'm having a hard time picking something right now looking at the sheets again. I'm still salty about Seagate rebranding Samsung 2TBs.

With 3-4TBs around $100 might make sense just to get two of them at this point. I'm still using 2x Samsung 2TB

yatesl

I ran CCleaner and still wouldn't load. Then I decided to disconnect my account from my Microsoft Account (as the 'family', offline account would load straight away) and it loads instantly.

Somehow, somewhere, the signing in to Microsoft has decided to slow it down. Not that I really care about changes on here reflecting on my laptop/second PC. I'll keep it like this now until Windows 10.

Thanks anyway!

So...in an ssf case (like my node 304) would anyone buy a R9 390 instead of a GTX 970?
Yes...8gb > 3.5gb but my #1 reason for building my system is Star Citizen. Its going to use a heavily modified version of Cryengine.

• I am never going to game at higher than 1080p.
  • I want a quiet, yet powerful pc that doesn't run hot.

Which card do you recommend?

Don't hate. My PC Build. I own everything except the graphic card. Putting it together tonight.

mkenyon

Banned
So...in an ssf case (like my node 304) would anyone buy a R9 390 instead of a GTX 970?
Yes...8gb > 3.5gb but my #1 reason for building my system is Star Citizen. Its going to use a heavily modified version of Cryengine.

Don't hate. My PC Build. I own everything except the graphic card. Putting it together tonight.
If you're building for Star Citizen, wait until the game is finalized before heavily investing in a graphics card. Chances are that current stuff may not be up to snuff once it's out. 2017 is a long ways away.

Or, I should say, just don't account for Star Citizen with your current purchase.

RGM79

The R9 390X's 8GB of VRAM will do nothing for you at 1080p. It doesn't really increase performance, it just allows more room to store more game assets at higher resolutions so 4GB won't be a bottleneck. It's meant for 4K and super high settings (although you'll need two of them in crossfire for a high enough framerate to play 4K at high settings), 1080p games won't need more than 4GB VRAM for the next couple of years.

I highly recommend the GTX 970 in your situation, especially if you value low noise and heat. The GTX 970 will beat the R9 390 in those areas easily, especially with a lot of GTX 970 models having a silent fan mode that turns off the fans completely at low temperatures.

As for the Star Citizen game itself.. These half year old benchmarks seem to say that Nvidia is favored over AMD, and the GTX 970 should outperform the R9 390 which is just a rebadged R9 290 with extra VRAM. Of course, the game can still change over time before and after release.

Aranath

I'm needing some help with my new Gsync monitor. I bought a BenQ XL2420G the other day, which crapped out on me after a single day and needs to be returned.

Amazon sent another one, which arrived today. I've just connected it up, got it calibrated and everything seemed to be working fine. Decided to play some Witcher 3 and opened my overclocking program (Asus GPU Tweak). I clicked on my overclocking profile and the monitor then turned off with the power light turning red and a message saying "Out of range" on the monitor.

The monitor has two different engines, so I have DP connected for Gsync and DVI connected for non-Gsync. I swapped to non-Gsync and it was working fine. Went back to Gsync mode and it turned off with the red light.

I couldn't do anything to get it to turn back on. Did a system restore to a few days ago and then it was fine. Went back in the overclocking program and it did the same thing again. Repeated everything again to fix it and found the "out of range" message curious. So I changed the refresh rate from 144hz to 120hz and now I can overclock fine.

What could be causing that? The last monitor I had (the one I'm returning) had no problems like this. I overclocked my card fine on the 144hz Gsync settings. This is mildly frustrating.

RGM79

Budget: 1200 USD (will need keyboard, mouse, and monitor)
Main Use: 5
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Battlefield 4, GTA V, Battelfront..Pretty much any new game at 1080p 60FPS or higher.
When will you build?: ASAP
Will you be overclocking?: No

If you're sure you won't be overclocking..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.45 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($177.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($320.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer G236HLBbd 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1050.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-26 17:29 EDT-0400

There, that leaves you $150 for a keyboard and mouse. I don't know what sort of keyboard and mouse you want as those things are kinda subjective to feel, but there's enough money there for a decent mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse if you're inclined. Otherwise there are cheap gaming keyboards and mice like this Cooler Master bundle for under $30.

It's also possible to change out the case if you prefer other looks. Also, I'd recommend getting the i5 4690K for the ability to overclock. You don't have to overclock with it, but it will be useful a few years down the road if you don't want to replace or upgrade the CPU so quickly, you can overclock it instead. That will cost more and I'd have to rearrange the build (smaller SSD and hard drive among other changes) to accommodate a better motherboard and an aftermarket CPU cooler.

For a R9 290, is the Asus card a good one or should I avoid it?
I read it has problem with amd cpus, is it true?

What sort of problem? I haven't heard of AMD processors having issues when paired with Asus-made AMD graphics cards, usually most PC hardware is brand-independent.

What is the better AMD cpu and motherboard combo right now?

Depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do with the PC. If you're looking for strong gaming performance, you are much better off with Intel than AMD.

mkenyon

Banned
What is the better AMD cpu and motherboard combo right now?
There isn't one. Their stuff has been more or less stagnant for about 5 years now. All of their effort went into Fusion stuff which has the CPU and GPU on the same die.
I'm needing some help with my new Gsync monitor. I bought a BenQ XL2420G the other day, which crapped out on me after a single day and needs to be returned.

Amazon sent another one, which arrived today. I've just connected it up, got it calibrated and everything seemed to be working fine. Decided to play some Witcher 3 and opened my overclocking program (Asus GPU Tweak). I clicked on my overclocking profile and the monitor then turned off with the power light turning red and a message saying "Out of range" on the monitor.

The monitor has two different engines, so I have DP connected for Gsync and DVI connected for non-Gsync. I swapped to non-Gsync and it was working fine. Went back to Gsync mode and it turned off with the red light.

I couldn't do anything to get it to turn back on. Did a system restore to a few days ago and then it was fine. Went back in the overclocking program and it did the same thing again. Repeated everything again to fix it and found the "out of range" message curious. So I changed the refresh rate from 144hz to 120hz and now I can overclock fine.

What could be causing that? The last monitor I had (the one I'm returning) had no problems like this. I overclocked my card fine on the 144hz Gsync settings. This is mildly frustrating.
My only thought would be to try doing this with just a single cable, remove the DVI entirely.

Jayne

Hey guys, I've been working with a 22'' 1680x 1050 panel for a few years now. I recently rebuilt my pc and upgraded to GTX 970 and now I feel it's time to upgrade my monitor as well. What panel do you think would pair best with a gtx 970 within around a $300 budget?

Mets9

What sort of problem? I haven't heard of AMD processors having issues when paired with AMD graphics cards, usually most PC hardware is brand-independent.

I read it gave black screens with amd cpu, though it was a review from amazon, I thought I should check if it's a good card before considering the upgrade :)
So, an Asus one is ok? I could probably get one for 280 euros new.

Aranath

My only thought would be to try doing this with just a single cable, remove the DVI entirely.

Ha, thank you. That seems to have fixed it. *knocks on wood*

Any idea what would cause that? Would HDMI for the non-Gsync engine be better? DVI limited in some way?

Unfortunately, I don't have any HDMI cables where I'm staying, so I can't test it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I read it gave black screens with amd cpu, though it was a review from amazon, I thought I should check if it's a good card before considering the upgrade :)
That was a problem on factory original cards on stock firmware some of the time, reference only(?). Those shouldn't exist anymore if buying new.

RGM79

What country are you in? Just checking if there aren't better models or prices available. If you're in Germany, I see Gigabyte and Sapphire R9 290 models for 285 Euros, which is a good price for good models. Sapphire is commonly thought to be one of the best manufacturer of AMD graphics cards.

mkenyon

Banned
Ha, thank you. That seems to have fixed it. *knocks on wood*

Any idea what would cause that? Would HDMI for the non-Gsync engine be better? DVI limited in some way?

Unfortunately, I don't have any HDMI cables where I'm staying, so I can't test it.
Just curious, for what purpose do you need a non-G-Sync cable?

I think the idea is that you hook up other devices that aren't your PC to it.

If you're building for Star Citizen, wait until the game is finalized before heavily investing in a graphics card. Chances are that current stuff may not be up to snuff once it's out. 2017 is a long ways away.

Or, I should say, just don't account for Star Citizen with your current purchase.

Well, I know people are playing Arena Commander just fine with 960s, and who knows what improvements the move to DirectX12 will provide.

I think I'll be safe with a 970 for 2 years. NBA2k, Star Wars Battlefront and the Division are also on my radar. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom