• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, I know people are playing Arena Commander just fine with 960s, and who knows what improvements the move to DirectX12 will provide.

I think I'll be safe with a 970 for 2 years. NBA2k, Star Wars Battlefront and the Division are also on my radar. :)
Yeah, but I've heard from a number of people that the game will take more and more resources closer it gets to release. Like AC is not representative of how taxing it is on a system.

What is the better AMD cpu and motherboard combo right now?

The Intel cpu and motherboard combo.

No reason to go AMD unless you are on some ultra tight budget. Sad, but true. Still remember being a god with my 1 Ghz Thunderbird.

Just noticed I got de-juniored. Must have been all that hate I spewed at the Fury X. So let down.

so for a year i've been saying that i am waiting for the amd fiji hbm gpus to drop.

but now, i might have to wait a little longer for nano. fury prices are too crazy in cad.

The Intel cpu and motherboard combo.

No reason to go AMD unless you are on some ultra tight budget. Sad, but true. Still remember being a god with my 1 Ghz Thunderbird.

Just noticed I got de-juniored. Must have been all that hate I spewed at the Fury X. So let down.

Intel makes enough money without my purchases. Also I don't do anything hugely cpu intensive either.

Intel makes enough money without my purchases. Also I don't do anything hugely cpu intensive either.

Intel makes all that money because their product line currently dominates AMD's. Those are just the facts. I'd strongly advise you not buy an AMD system unless money is an issue. They have literally no advantage other than price.

If you're sure you won't be overclocking..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.45 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($177.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($320.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer G236HLBbd 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1050.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-26 17:29 EDT-0400

There, that leaves you $150 for a keyboard and mouse. I don't know what sort of keyboard and mouse you want as those things are kinda subjective to feel, but there's enough money there for a decent mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse if you're inclined. Otherwise there are cheap gaming keyboards and mice like this Cooler Master bundle for under $30.

It's also possible to change out the case if you prefer other looks. Also, I'd recommend getting the i5 4690K for the ability to overclock. You don't have to overclock with it, but it will be useful a few years down the road if you don't want to replace or upgrade the CPU so quickly, you can overclock it instead. That will cost more and I'd have to rearrange the build (smaller SSD and hard drive among other changes) to accommodate a better motherboard and an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Let's go with the overclock.

ricki42

Hey guys, I've been working with a 22'' 1680x 1050 panel for a few years now. I recently rebuilt my pc and upgraded to GTX 970 and now I feel it's time to upgrade my monitor as well. What panel do you think would pair best with a gtx 970 within around a $300 budget?

I have a Asus VG248QE and have been quite happy with it. It's 24", 1080p, 144Hz. It's currently $251 at Bestbuy.
You could also consider a 1440p monitor, depends on how important framerate is for you and what size monitor you are looking for.

RGM79

Thats common knowledge. I choose to buy AMD. Sorry.

Principles aside, can you tell us what you're doing with the PC so we can figure out what to recommend you?

As was mentioned, the FX-63xx or FX-83xx will be fine for most things. If you really don't do anything a CPU intensive, then consider an APU system for the lower price and newer chipsets.

Aranath

Just curious, for what purpose do you need a non-G-Sync cable?

I think the idea is that you hook up other devices that aren't your PC to it.

Yeah, I plan to connect my consoles to it when I have access to them again, but in the meantime I thought it wouldn't hurt to have all the settings and options available for getting the picture a tad better than I can get it in Gsync mode.

It's not the end of the world without it. Once I have a bit more desk space, I'll reconnect my IPS panel and run dual monitors and just leave the BenQ for gaming.

Jayne

I have a Asus VG248QE and have been quite happy with it. It's 24", 1080p, 144Hz. It's currently $251 at Bestbuy.
You could also consider a 1440p monitor, depends on how important framerate is for you and what size monitor you are looking for.

That one does seem like a pretty great monitor, definitely at the top of my list right now. The only other one that has really caught my eye is this https://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umkg7aa002 So it is pretty much just a struggle to answer the question of 144hz or 1440p. >.>;

RGM79

Let's go with the overclock.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($320.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Acer G236HLBbd 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1139.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-26 19:02 EDT-0400

How does that look?

Aranath

Well the issue is because you have two inputs on the same monitor from one source. You don't ever need to do this.

Yeah, I'm just leaving it with the DP cable connected and that's that. Working perfectly now. Thanks a lot.

Just battling to get decent picture settings now.

yami4ct

The contractor working on our septic system messed up and dug through a power line, putting a surge through all of our household stuff. Luckily most of my computer was spared, but it did blow up my speakers.

So, what's a good mid range 2.1 system? I want something decent enough for gaming but can also fit easily onto my desk with my monitor. I do have room below my desk for a subwoofer, which I had on my current system as well.

Thats common knowledge. I choose to buy AMD. Sorry.

For a cheap CPU, the 860K is a 7850K with the iGPU disabled. It has AMD's newer cores in it compared to the FX chips so they have higher IPC but it's only a quad* core and has no L3. This means you'll want fast RAM to get the most out of it.

Even then, it still gets beaten by i3s and overclocked Pentiums, but it's a ~$75 CPU...

*2 Module

My wife has one in her PC, she hasn't had any issues playing but she doesn't typically play CPU heavy games (She plays WoW, Skyrim with mods, Dragon Age and Mass Effect trilogies), with a 7970 on a 1050/60 monitor.

A few questions. I havent upgraded my PC in a long time but I am looking to downsize from my HAF X into something like a HAF XB. I have an ATX board and my XSPC RX240 rad barely just fits in my huge HAF X, will it fit in an XB? I'm guess because the layout is differnet it should be fine. Also could I fit an SSD, 3HDDs and a 2 bay reservoir in there okay or is that too much? I presume after all that stuff there is no room for a disc drive?

On that note I am looking to sell my 780 and its between a 970 and a 290x. I can get a 970 for €330 but the 290x is a very tempting €270. I game majority of the time at 1440p but occasionally when I play with the wife I'll stick it on the TV at 1080p. Is the 290x in general a good buy?

Sanjay

I have question for dual monitor setup users, does it effect your graphic performance in games?

Say you are going to be playing on your secondary monitor (big screen hdtv) and having things like a website/chat/twtich stream etc on (PC monitor) or vice versa, how much of an impact will this cause?

MisterNoisy

I have question for dual monitor setup users, does it effect your graphic performance in games?

Say you are going to be playing on your secondary monitor (big screen hdtv) and having things like a website/chat/twtich stream etc on (PC monitor) or vice versa, how much of an impact will this cause?

I've run dual panels for a while and have had no issues. Go for it.

Hi Gaf,

I recently upgraded my two year old PC build from a GTX 680 to a 980ti (was starting to feel the VRAM limitations, heh).

Just wondering if anyone could look at my current build at let me know if they see any potential bottlenecking with older parts after just swapping out the new GPU:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zssPWZ

Note: I'm overclocking my I-5 to 4.2 GHz

Also, is there any software or websites that help with detecting any bottleneck issues?

Thx in advance!

The contractor working on our septic system messed up and dug through a power line, putting a surge through all of our household stuff. Luckily most of my computer was spared, but it did blow up my speakers.

So, what's a good mid range 2.1 system? I want something decent enough for gaming but can also fit easily onto my desk with my monitor. I do have room below my desk for a subwoofer, which I had on my current system as well.

Logitech's z323 is decent enough for your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FU5QM0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Used to rock this but got a Klipsch setup and gave to my kids. I kind of regret it at times cause it's still a kick ass setup and it's still very much loud.

Hi Gaf,

I recently upgraded my two year old PC build from a GTX 680 to a 980ti (was starting to feel the VRAM limitations, heh).

Just wondering if anyone could look at my current build at let me know if they see any potential bottlenecking with older parts after just swapping out the new GPU:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zssPWZ

Note: I'm overclocking my I-5 to 4.2 GHz

Also, is there any software or websites that help with detecting any bottleneck issues?

Thx in advance!

Nope, that CPU would not bottleneck that card. I actually still rock that CPU, you can get to 4.4ghz easy on air btw) and I'm using SLI'd GTX 970's just fine. But you can test to see if it is. Fire up a game and check out your frame rates. If you're getting low fps and your video card isn't even breaking a sweat, chances are the cpu is maxing out and is the issue. Task manager will help you there, you'll see if the CPU is maxing out.

No, there would be no impact. The only time you get impact is you were running an eyefinity or surround setup. As it stands now, games will only run on one monitor.

Thinking about selling my 2x MSI GTX 970s for a 980Ti. Thoughts if I have to eat $100-150 for the Ti?

If you can do it. That was my plan until the buyers backed out. One GPU > Two in SLI. Sure you'll lose some power but you also lose potential SLI related issues as well + that 6GB VRAM.

yami4ct

Logitech's z323 is decent enough for your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FU5QM0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My old speakers were almost 20 years old. They were nice at the time, but I'm certain even a budget set will do better at this point. I am going to look at the power stats on mine just to make sure I can at least meet those on a new set.

I was looking at those Klipsch 2.1's since the reviews are quite good, but I probably don't necessarily need that nice a set just for gaming. Maybe I'll get the cheap set and put aside the rest of the cash to eventually get some nice headphones.

hitoman

I just built my first pc after my old one died but used my old hardrive because there were things I wanted to get off of it. Everything else is new. When I start it goes to Windows as if it's starting but then reboots before it gets to the login. Am I supposed to update the BIOS first before I do anything? Can I even expect to get my old stuff off the drive or am I going to have to do a clean reinstall of my Windows? Thanks for any help.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I just built my first pc after my old one died but used my old hardrive because there were things I wanted to get off of it. Everything else is new. When I start it goes to Windows as if it's starting but then reboots before it gets to the login. Am I supposed to update the BIOS first before I do anything? Can I even expect to get my old stuff off the drive or am I going to have to do a clean reinstall of my Windows? Thanks for any help.
Install Windows onto a new drive first. After it's installed shut the PC down and attach your old one to read the files off it.
It won't boot into Windows on the old drive (although it will try)
280X if $200 is your budget.

A friend is looking for a new graphics card. He is building an entirely new computer that has to last him a few years. is the 970 still the way to go for good performance and value?

yami4ct

A friend is looking for a new graphics card. He is building an entirely new computer that has to last him a few years. is the 970 still the way to go for good performance and value?

It depends on how you define "lasting" a few years. Any card that's better than current gen consoles will last at least as long as those for major games. The 970 has possibly the best price/performance ratio and is significantly ahead of consoles, so that will do you. I ran a GTX 260 for that last 6 years and only this year did I get to the point where it wouldn't meet min spec. If you're willing to bump down settings, you can stretch a card really far.

If you want to run at super high settings and run VR super well for the coming time, get whatever is the most expensive thing you can afford is. My suggestion is grab a 970 and plan on upgrading in 2-3 years. See how the VR landscape and requirements shape up and let the tech get cheaper. Put the money you would have spent on a higher end card aside and upgrade to another midrange cad at that time.

Would there be any appreciable FPS difference between the MSI 4G and Gigabyte G1 versions of the 970? I know the Gigabyte has a higher stock clock, but it's difficult to find info about actual FPS differences between the two cards. I can't really translate benchmark scores to noticeable differences.

Most things have me leaning towards the MSI (since it's quieter) but I don't want to be in a situation where, like, the MSI is getting me 55 in a game being pushed to its max where the gigabyte would give me 60.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What's better, a 2 gb sapphire r7 260x or a 2gb evga 680?
680 by a long shot:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1044?vs=1348 (Real benches vs GPUBoss)
It's midnight, I get an auto-notify email from Newegg that the 980 Ti G1 is in stock. Open a browser up within 3 minutes, annnnnnd its gone.
3 minutes? People are on their phones and desktops in 10 seconds, way too long :p
Would there be any appreciable FPS difference between the MSI 4G and Gigabyte G1 versions of the 970? I know the Gigabyte has a higher stock clock, but it's difficult to find info about actual FPS differences between the two cards. I can't really translate benchmark scores to noticeable differences.

Most things have me leaning towards the MSI (since it's quieter) but I don't want to be in a situation where, like, the MSI is getting me 55 in a game being pushed to its max where the gigabyte would give me 60.
You can overclock to make up the difference (which is what the cards are) so it's moot. Just drag the sliders to the same numbers. Buy the better cooler or cheaper one, whatever you want.

1140Mhz vs 1178Mhz so no.

Thorgal

How much GB would you recommend for a ssd at minmum without breaking the bank ?

Main usage for it will be for the faster upstart of of my PC and to put games on it for .

finalflame

How much GB would you recommend for a ssd at minmum without breaking the bank ?

Main usage for it will be for the faster upstart of of my PC and to put games on it for .

I wouldn't recommend anything under 250gb if you want to have both Windows and games on there.

120gb if you really only have 1-2 games installed at a time. Windows takes up a nice 30gb, and games these days are pushing 30-50gb a piece (GTA V, Witcher 3).

Thanks !

So i'm almost halfway through the list of parts for my pc so the next parts i need now that i have on newegg are 5 parts

A 1TB WD Black Edition 7200rpm
A MSI X99s Gaming 7 mobo
A Samsung 850 pro 512gb
A Crucial BX100 500gb
Intel Core i7 5820k
Total of $1208.78
My budget is 4k

Almost halfway through and the last 2 parts i'll buy after the 5 listed above is the GPU (probably 980ti guaranteed) and a 1440p monitor gsync by august (that's when asus hopefully releases their 1440 gsync ips counterpart but if it's more expensive than the xb270hu then i'll just go with acer's monitor

Any recommendations on the 5 parts listed would be cool ! :3

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I'm kinda baffled.

I upgraded from an i5 4440 to an i7 4970 which went ok. Updated my GA-Z87-DS3H bios and all that.

The thing is, Windows 8.1 has decided that my GTX 770 doesn't exist. When it periodically does appear, it says it's been disabled due to error 43.

I've tired uninstalling drivers, and reinstalling, but it won't let me actually reinstall the drivers.

RGM79

I'm kinda baffled.

I upgraded from an i5 4440 to an i7 4970 which went ok. Updated my GA-Z87-DS3H bios and all that.

The thing is, Windows 8.1 has decided that my GTX 770 doesn't exist. When it periodically does appear, it says it's been disabled due to error 43.

I've tired uninstalling drivers, and reinstalling, but it won't let me actually reinstall the drivers.

Try reseating your graphics card. Check power cables. Even try another slot.

Thorgal

I wouldn't recommend anything under 250gb if you want to have both Windows and games on there.

120gb if you really only have 1-2 games installed at a time. Windows takes up a nice 30gb, and games these days are pushing 30-50gb a piece (GTA V, Witcher 3).

Thanks ! any recommendations ?

Kingston , Intel or Samsung ?

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
When will the dream of 144Hz 4K Gsync monitors become reality? I will hold off on upgrading until I can do everything in one go and do it properly for future proofing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom