• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocab

Monitors yes, cases, hmm I dunno. I can't say I have ever had that problem though. I don't ever buy cases with plastic.

NoRéN;145892803 said:
Sounds good. Last questions: Does the H60 perform similar to the Hyper 212 EVO and would it be able to handle a modest overclock if i decided to do so in the future(4770k to maybe 4.0ghz)?

H60 has a slight edge on the Hyper 212 EVO. It does the job for my OC'd i7 5820K.

NoRéN

H60 has a slight edge on the Hyper 212 EVO. It does the job for my OC'd i7 5820K.

Damn! Good to hear. H60 it is, then! Thank you all.

Now, since I'll be moving things around again, where do you all get PSU cable extensions? I figure I should try and clean that up a bit but don't know where to start. I would need 2 for my MSI GTX 970, 8 pin and 6 pin I'm guessing.

XBP

Monitors yes, cases, hmm I dunno. I can't say I have ever had that problem though. I don't ever buy cases with plastic.

I just google this (why didn't I do this before? :S) and i see people report the same thing on overclock.net. So I guess its more of an issue with this case.

DeaviL

Banned
I've taken some time to put something together.
Any advice to give or bad parts to point out?
Cooler Master Big Tower HAF XM E-ATX, No PSU €102.99
Cooler Master Casefan MegaFlow 200 LED Silent 200mm (rood) €16.99
Cooler Master Voeding V750s 750W, Modulair €98.95
Corsair 4x4GB, DDR4, PC21300, CL15, Vengeance LPX (zwart) €275.50
Crucial SSD 2.5", 256GB, SATA600, MX100 €104.90
Intel Haswell-E Core i7 5820K 3.30GHz 15MB Box €386.30
Microsoft Windows 8.1 EN 1u 64bit OEM €94.95
MSI eATX Moederbord X99S XPOWER AC WiFi €333.70
MSI Videokaart PCI-e GeForce GTX970 Gaming 4GB €358.95
Samsung DVD Burner SH-224DB/BEBE 24x, SATA Bulk €21.95
Scythe Processor Koeler Samurai-ZZ Rev B. AMD & Intel €27.90
Western Digital Harddisk 3.5" Black FZEX 2TB, SATA600, 7200rpm €126.90

Total incl. BTW: € 2009.93

Hurrah! My mom ended up buying one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227597

So now, I need to prepare for an upgrade.

I already have two sticks of 2GB ram, bringing me to 8 once it gets here. I just need a decent card (and a new PSU, of course). What do you guys recommend.

AMD FX-Series FX-4300 (3.80GHz)
8GB DDR3
64 bit Quad-Core Processor
1TB HDD
Windows 8.1 64-Bit
AMD Radeon R5 230 1 GB (Needs to be replaced with something better)
350W (Needs to be replaced with something better)

LilJoka

Hurrah! My mom ended up buying one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227597

So now, I need to prepare for an upgrade.

I already have two sticks of 2GB ram, bringing me to 8 once it gets here. I just need a decent card (and a new PSU, of course). What do you guys recommend.

AMD FX-Series FX-4300 (3.80GHz)
8GB DDR3
64 bit Quad-Core Processor
1TB HDD
Windows 8.1 64-Bit
AMD Radeon R5 230 1 GB (Needs to be replaced with something better)
350W (Needs to be replaced with something better)

Budget?
What are you looking to achieve?

LilJoka

I've taken some time to put something together.
Any advice to give or bad parts to point out?

EATX case really needed? Maybe look at some Corsair cases since they have less tacky plastic.

Check if the Toshiba HDDs are cheaper, they are using 1TB platters on the ACA models. These are essentially Hitachi drives.

Really that CPU cooler? Maybe for this rig you should get something a bit more beefy, especially if you're overclocking. Something like a tower CPU cooler or Corsair AIO liquid cooler.

PSU for a decent CPU overclock and SLI is on the edge, otherwise fine.

Jothel

well, i was gonna build my first pc but i've decided not go ahead with the purchase. just don't feel comfortable spending over £1000 on something I don't feel confident building. Maybe another time.
I would still say give it a go, I built one a few years ago for the first time, the manuals that come with everything explain things clerk and for everything else there is Google. Took me maybe 2 hours to get it done and wasn't too bad.
Ultimately it's your money and choice but I was the same, and am super clumsy with this sorta stuff, and managed to get it done.

DeaviL

Banned
EATX case really needed? Maybe look at some Corsair cases since they have less tacky plastic.

Check if the Toshiba HDDs are cheaper, they are using 1TB platters on the ACA models. These are essentially Hitachi drives.

Really that CPU cooler? Maybe for this rig you should get something a bit more beefy, especially if you're overclocking. Something like a tower CPU cooler or Corsair AIO liquid cooler.

PSU for a decent CPU overclock and SLI is on the edge, otherwise fine.

Honestly, i just want all the room in the case because it's easier to mess around, that and it's an eatx motherboard.
(the haf x is pretty sturdy honestly)

I'll look into a better PSU and Cooler, any recommendations perchance?

thx

kharma45

Can I get a decent one for 50?

Easily. Corsair has the CSM 550w for $40 after rebate and discount code http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Ends on the 5th though. Even if it goes before you want to buy there is always deals on PSUs and plenty of quality units for the $50 mark. On top of that Corsair these are all in that price bracket and are good, just to give you an idea of the sort of range there is

EVGA 500B for $40

Antec BP550 for $45

EVGA 600B for $45

Rosewill Hive 550w for $45

Rosewill Capstone 750w for $50

Best value ones are the Corsair CSM and the Rosewill Capstone, with me leaning towards the Capstone if you can afford the extra $10. The longer warranty alone would be worth it. 7 years vs 3 on the Corsair. It's a better quality unit too, but it all depends on what you want to spend. The 750w Capstone would be my choice though.

Then it's just a matter of picking a new GPU. You could get a refurb R9 270 for $119, a GTX 660 for $130, a new R9 270 for $140 or an R9 280 for $150.

Easily. Corsair has the CSM 550w for $40 after rebate and discount code http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Ends on the 5th though. Even if it goes before you want to buy there is always deals on PSUs and plenty of quality units for the $50 mark. On top of that Corsair these are all in that price bracket and are good, just to give you an idea of the sort of range there is

EVGA 500B for $40

Antec BP550 for $45

EVGA 600B for $45

Rosewill Hive 550w for $45

Rosewill Capstone 750w for $50

Best value ones are the Corsair CSM and the Rosewill Capstone, with me leaning towards the Capstone if you can afford the extra $10. The longer warranty alone would be worth it. 7 years vs 3 on the Corsair. It's a better quality unit too, but it all depends on what you want to spend. The 750w Capstone would be my choice though.

Then it's just a matter of picking a new GPU. You could get a refurb R9 270 for $119, a GTX 660 for $130, a new R9 270 for $140 or an R9 280 for $150.

NoRéN;145908496 said:
I highly recommend the Rosewill HIVE. Love the modular design and it's reliable.

SICK!!!!

You guys have been waaaay too helpful. Thank you so much. It should get here on Friday so I'll have to make a decision soon.

Josman

Posting this anecdote for those with the time:
I was going to help a friend build a rig with a budget of around $1500 he was willing to spend more if neccessary, and last hour his brother suggested him to go with a guy who built kickass gaming pc's for a small price, This is what he ended up with for just $1500:

-A giant, cheap looking no name case with 6 cheap fans and no cable management with that juvenile gamer look. -"It won't overheat and it's future proof for overclocking with 6 fans, it's only a little noisy"

-A Z87 which is twice as expensive as another Z87 Asus mobo that I got. Note that I'm not from the States. -"Spending the most in the motherboard is worth it, and since you want a multi monitor setup, this one has 3 slots for GPUs and it's future proof"

-i7 4770 non-k with stock cooler. -"If you want it for gaming and university programs, you'll need an i7 with stock cooler, CPU cooler isn't really needed unless overclocking" -> He mostly plays Blizzard games and is interested in very few Steam games, later I found the program he uses isn't taxing / hyperthreading compatible

-A nameless "650W" PSU, not even 80+, obviously not modular. -"I added one of the best PSUs out there because it's 750W and you can add anything to the PC"

-2TB seagate HDD (note that my friend uses no more than 120GB in his PC tops). -"Either this 2TB or save up a little bit more for an SSD, I'd recommend the HDD, the low capacity makes SSDs not worth it, besides the HDD is a quality one"

-GTX740. -"It's cheap and it will run ANY game or application out there easily because it has 4 gigs of RAM". Not even SLI compatible for what he said.

-8GB of the most expensive RAM he could find, single channel. -"You want gaming RAM, it'll make a big difference"

Note that the "expert" was about to put an FX-8350 but my friend remembered I told him to go intel.

Even considering parts are more expensive here, I could have slipped a 970, a 4690k with a 212 EVO, an MX100, a good PSU, decent RAM and a good case. Worst of all? my friend was very happy with the rig -"I can play WoW at ultra settings 40-60 FPS if I turn off some graphical tweaks".

Point of this: The guy has a big store in a big mall for tech items only, and before reading GAF and building my PC, I went with him and was about to pull the trigger on a slightly less expensive build because I trusted him and thought there wasn't going to be much of a difference. I can't imagine the amount of money he has made by ripping people. You're all damn heroes, every one of you in this thread, keep fighting the good fight.

When I lived In Caracas a block from my house there was the shadiest computer vendor I've ever met. The fucker once toll my father with a straight face that one faulty part could not be returned because he bought it in the end of December of 2005 and now that it was January of 2006 it didn't apply anymore.

Josman

When I lived In Caracas a block from my house there was the shadiest computer vendor I've ever met. The fucker once toll my father with a straight face that one faulty part could not be returned because he bought it in the end of December of 2005 and now that it was January of 2006 it didn't apply anymore.

That's the sad part about building PCs, you've got 3 cases:

a) You know how to build them yourself and it's as good as you want it, but you risk having trouble identifying defective parts and starting an RMA process
b) You have to buy a pre-built from a retailer, they're shitty but they give you a warranty
c) You think you're doing it right by buying from a local person, but most of the time they end up ripping you

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man that is an aggravating read. Like most of us, I imagine, I've seen too many friends and family members happily get ripped off when it comes to computers.

RGM79

SICK!!!!

You guys have been waaaay too helpful. Thank you so much. It should get here on Friday so I'll have to make a decision soon.

Ah.. not to be a downer, but I think you should have consulted us about what PC to buy.. the i5 would have been a much better choice than the AMD FX-4300. I thought you said you were going to buy some parts, not a prebuilt.

Should I be safe upgrading my motherboard on an existing Windows installation? All other components including CPU are staying the same.

NoRéN

That's the sad part about building PCs, you've got 3 cases:

a) You know how to build them yourself and it's as good as you want it, but you risk having trouble identifying defective parts and starting an RMA process
b) You have to buy a pre-built from a retailer, they're shitty but they give you a warranty
c) You think you're doing it right by buying from a local person, but most of the time they end up ripping you

You know dude, don't feel too bad. yeah it sucks but you had offered to help and at the last minute your friend decided to go with someone else's input over yours.

xezuru

Now, my computer is super old now, we built it like 7 years ago or something back when I was in highschool.
If I were to upgrade step by step with certain components now and others later, what should I go for?

Finally looking at it, my RAM and MotherBoard are pretty bad.
I've never had any problems with my video card, I don't really care about running things at lower resolutions.
I think gameplay wise CPU is a hard limit, and upgrading that is limited by my Mobo CPU slot.

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
Yorkfield 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
NVIDIA NFORCE 780i SLI (Socket 775)
Graphics
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series (XFX Pine Group)

The Llama

Now, my computer is super old now, we built it like 7 years ago or something back when I was in highschool.
If I were to upgrade step by step with certain components now and others later, what should I go for?

Finally looking at it, my RAM and MotherBoard are pretty bad.
I've never had any problems with my video card, I don't really care about running things at lower resolutions.
I think gameplay wise CPU is a hard limit, and upgrading that is limited by my Mobo CPU slot.
There's really nothing salvageable from that. You'll need a new CPU, which requires a new mobo, which requires DDR3 RAM.

RGM79

Should I be safe upgrading my motherboard on an existing Windows installation? All other components including CPU are staying the same.

Give it a try, it may work and all you'll need to do is install the new mother drivers on starting the PC for the first time after replacing the motherboard. If it doesn't work, then you will need to backup, reformat, and reinstall.

zoozilla

So I built my first gaming PC from scratch today, with the help of this thread. Thanks.

The specs:
Motherboard: Asus M5 A97 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-6350
RAM: G.Skill 8 GB 1600 Mhz
Graphics Card: MSI R9 270x OC
Power Supply: Corsair CX600M
Case: Corsair R200

It may not be the most powerful machine ever created, but right now I'm just glad it turns on. And I haven't really done anything yet except look at the BIOS and make sure everything looked okay.

Something's a little strange, though - when I look at the CPU and case fan readings, they fluctuate wildly. They'll go from normal RPMs - around 3000 or something like that - and then shoot up to some crazy number like 65000 for a second before going back to normal levels. And this happens constantly. Going by ear, I don't think the fans are actually fluctuating in speed, so it's probably a monitoring error. Oddly enough, Case Fan 2 doesn't have this problem - it shows consistently normal levels.

Is this something I should be worried about? The CPU/MB temperatures look okay (about 20 C for MB and 32 C for CPU). I'm going to try and reconnect the fan cables and see if that makes a difference tomorrow.

Josman

NoRéN;145921411 said:
You know dude, don't feel too bad. yeah it sucks but you had offered to help and at the last minute your friend decided to go with someone else's input over yours.

True, thanks, I'm more mad at the seller, not an ounce of morals in that guy. But I'll stop derrailing the thread.

Question: difference between an i3 and a pentium G32 for a light gaming / multimedia machine? What's the difference between both? Another friend of mine is thinking of upgrading instead of buying a console, budget is tight ($350) so he'll recycle case, HDD and DDR3, I was thinking of an i3 vs G32, and a 750ti since he is not upgrading his 300W PSU. But which CPU and motherboard?

RGM79

True, thanks, I'm more mad at the seller, not an ounce of morals in that guy. But I'll stop derrailing the thread.

Question: difference between an i3 and a pentium G32 for a light gaming / multimedia machine? Another friend of mine is thinking of upgrading instead of buying a console, budget is tight ($350) so he'll recycle case, HDD and DDR3, I was thinking of an i3 vs G32, and a 750ti since he is not upgrading his 300W PSU. But which CPU and motherboard?

For very low budgets, I'd recommend the Pentium G3258 for $70 and a decent cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for $30. Overclocked, the G3258 can compete with higher end processors like the quad core i5 processors. However some games, namely Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition, won't work with dual core processors like Pentiums.

NoRéN

Definitely not derailing. It serves as a good example of what can go wrong. Computer shops around where I live are about the same. They gladly take advantage of the ignorance of customers. Selling used parts at msrp, etc. infuriating.

xezuru

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
Yorkfield 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
NVIDIA NFORCE 780i SLI (Socket 775)
Graphics
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series (XFX Pine Group)

Would this be the right path to go down?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/h7Cn8d
My Power Supply is an Ultra 1000W and I feel like my GFX Card will be fine for a couple months as long as I keep the resolution managable on most games.

Give it a try, it may work and all you'll need to do is install the new mother drivers on starting the PC for the first time after replacing the motherboard. If it doesn't work, then you will need to backup, reformat, and reinstall.

I got impatient and just tried it without waiting for a response. The PC booted and Windows automatically went out and grabbed all the drivers. Everything seems to be working perfectly!

RGM79

Would this be the right path to go down?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/h7Cn8d
My Power Supply is an Ultra 1000W and I feel like my GFX Card will be fine for a couple months as long as I keep the resolution managable on most games.

Looks fine. I'd recommend this 8GB of G.Skill DDR3-1866 RAM for $66 instead.
I got impatient and just tried it without waiting for a response. The PC booted and Windows automatically went out and grabbed all the drivers. Everything seems to be working perfectly!

Good to hear, it's usually more troublesome than that.

kennah

Question: difference between an i3 and a pentium G32 for a light gaming / multimedia machine? What's the difference between both? Another friend of mine is thinking of upgrading instead of buying a console, budget is tight ($350) so he'll recycle case, HDD and DDR3, I was thinking of an i3 vs G32, and a 750ti since he is not upgrading his 300W PSU. But which CPU and motherboard?
I did some research on this recently to see if it would be worth it to change out my i3 3220 for an anniversary pentium for multimedia work. The benchmarks I could find showed that the i3 performed the same or better in multimedia production, even when the pentium was overclocked. In single threaded gaming the pentium was faster of course, but that was lower on my priority.

galv

Unconfirmed Member

I would actually take the Haswell i3 over the Pentium G3258 in most cases due to hyperthreading. The Haswell i3, because the G3258 can be OC'd pretty heavily even with stock fans, may be worse in single-threaded applications (but not by much) however the Pentium stands no chance against the i3 in multi-threaded applications which are starting to become more prevalent. Plus, since you can't overclock the i3 anyway, you may as well go for a cheaper motherboard (H81s for example can be found for ~40$) unless you're looking towards a Z97 for a future upgrade.

Everyone says that the best budget processor is the G3258, however I still think the advantage lies with the i3-4XXX because of the higher performance in multi-core applications and because you can save money by using a budget mobo/cooler.

kennah

Don't buy on maybes. By that logic a Core 2 Quad would be better than the Pentium. Buy for what you need and has the better performance now. Upgrade only when it feels slow.

Edit. I'll put it this way. Why buy something that is slower in most current application (single threaded games) for something that might be faster in some future ones.

Josman

From all 4 answers I gather it's a balance between slightly better single threaded perfmormance in games after overclocking and better multimetia performance because of hyperthreading? Seems like a hard choice as he'll be doing a little bit of both, but it's slightly more inclined towards the later, so I like the idea of using an H81 and stock cooler with the i3. Light multitasking is also important. I'll check out some of those benchmarks thanks for the inputs.

Dries

I need some help identifying what component is producing coil whine (or something similar).

When playing a moderately graphic intense game (power @ ~400W) you can hear a very audible noise (probably coil whine).

I can't really identify if it's the graphic cards or the PSU. What's the easiest way to go on about this?

Specs:

i7 4790K
2x Gigabyte G1 970
Corsair RM 850W

Is it possible to remove both GPUs and somehow pull >400W?

You can apply SGSSAA by using the flag 0x004010C0 in Nvidia Inspector.

Wow. Where do I find this? Is this also in the Nvidia Control Panel?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sniped 2 Gigabyte G1 970's for 600. Hope I find a good set of parts on the cheap for my Haswell-E build.

Anyone selling a 5930/5960x?

espher

Were you interested in low noise? That's generally what the RM series power supplies are for. The EVGA Supernova G2 750 watt is available for $110 after $15 rebate from Newegg.ca - gold rated, fully modular. It was cheaper in the past, but right now is in your price budget and is one of the best PSU models you can buy.

If you want something also decent but cheaper, there are 750 watt bronze rated semi-modular power supplies I can recommend:

EVGA Supernova B2 750 watt for $69 after $20 rebate - Jonny Guru review
Antec High Current Gamer 750 watt for $90 after $20 rebate - Jonny Guru review

Low noise was definitely a factor in why I went for it over something comparable, but not mission critical. I'll take a look at the EVGA one -- just waiting for NCIX to get back to me on something. Thanks. :)

Anyone with experience overclocking APUs?

I don't really need to overclock my HTPC, but I'd like to for the hell of it. I put an Antec Khuler 650 in there, so I might as well get some use out of it.

I have an a10-7850K and i can't ge anything stable other than stock... I've looked online to see other people's settings, even some with the same mobo, but nothing...

I'm starting to think I lost the chip lottery.

Specs are below. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Antec KUHLER H2O 650 Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: OCZ ZT 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom