• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

Tried messing with the voltage a bit?

I'll probably give that a shot. It's pretty minor all things considered. WAY better than the Asus I returned. Just no way I'm paying over $50 to take a stab at this.

btw, welcome back. Haven't seen you around for awhile :)

RGM79

Thanks for that, you've got a great knowledge on hardware!

I was planning on building it all tomorrow assuming the heatsink arrives, so I will have to nip out to PC World or a hardware store with cable in hand and ask for help with my C13 cable.

Do you think that the efficiency of the PSU is also rated on the power cable? Or would this part of the PSU not effect the efficiency? I imagine not as long as the amp/voltage rating is the same and they use just stock cables for this component of the Leadex Gold.

The efficiency probably won't be affected very much by the cable, most power cords meant to be used with power supplies are made to the same standard.

That said, if you do pick up a cable from a general hardware store, make sure to get a cable that more or less matches the guage or thickness of the cable that came with the power supply. Years ago I made the mistake of picking up a random cable out of a box of miscellaneous parts to use with a power supply - it had the right connectors but the wiring was thinner and the cable was overall much lighter than most other "PSU" cables - after I plugged in the PC for a few seconds, there was a pop and crackle, and the power supply cable was smoking and melted. I switched to a proper, thicker power cable that I know was bundled with a power supply in the past and then it was fine.

So I need a GPU that won't ruin my budget forever, basically a stop-gap GPU until I can find myself a proper job.

So I'm thinking about getting the GTX 770, but since the 960 costs just as much (In Sweden) and is a teeny weeny bit better in benchmarks, should I just go with the newer card?

If it's just for temporary use (I have no idea how long until you expect to find a job), you could probably find a cheaper graphics card. If you're playing at 1080p, something like the GTX 750 Ti might be better for your budget, it'll handle current games on medium or lower at respectable framerates.

i52300
8GB Ram
KINGSTON SV300S37A240G SSD
and the GTX 970
650w power supply I think.
Windows 7 Home

So I didn't end up going all the way back, I went to 344.75. System was stable all day yesterday, hours of Guild Wars 2, no problems. Today it crashed again. I'll try 344.11 next. But this is my blue screen error;

*** STOP: 0x00000116 (0xfffffa800ad2a010, 0xfffff8800fbde828, 0xffffffffc000009a,
0x0000000000000004)

*** dxgkrnl.sys - Address 0xfffff88003c87134 base at 0xfffff88003c2a000 DateStamp
0x539e411c

And from the Minidump viewer, these ones were in pink;

dxgkrnl.sys dxgkrnl.sys+5d134 fffff880`03c2a000 fffff880`03d1f000 0x000f5000 0x539e411c 6/15/2014 9:28:04 PM
dxgmms1.sys dxgmms1.sys+37f3c fffff880`03d1f000 fffff880`03d65000 0x00046000 0x5164dc13 4/9/2013 11:57:15 PM
nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys+921828 fffff880`0f2bd000 fffff880`0ff9d000 0x00ce0000 0x5463c853 11/12/2014 5:21:31 PM

dxgkrnl.sys could be anything from the google searching I've done, it could mean the card isn't compatible with my motherboard, which is odd, my 560Ti has no issues. It could have something to do with Direct X or the card itself. I tried reinstalling/getting updates for Direct X, but the installer said it had the latest files already. I might have to RMA this again, but then I don't even know. It's not like I have another motherboard just hanging around to test, and I'm not about to blow money on a new one when that might not even fix it. This is such a pain in the ass. I half just want to sell this piece of shit but I'm afraid a second RMA is actually the answer and then I've got someone fucking pissed at me that the card is failing and I'd just have to pay them back then pay again to ship the card out again.

Now the only other thing I can think of trying is formatting and reinstalling windows as I just did a straight copy paste of this install from my old hard drive to this SSD. It hasn't caused any other issues though, and like I said my 560Ti doesn't have a single problem. I've been using it for months before getting the 970 with no problems. But I might as well try it before losing my mind I guess.

I also tried memtest for hours when this first happened so my ram looks good. SSD firmware is updated. I also check temps on and off with speedfan and everything seems within reason.

Also I'll add that these crashes only happen when playing games, nothing else.

How hot is the system getting when playing games?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Tried messing with the voltage a bit?

How are the prices on the R9 290 and 280x in comparison there?

But yeah, it's a toss up between the 770 and 960 from what I've seen.

Seems the 770's gotten a whooping 50 euros more expensive since the 960 was released, so I guess it stands between the 960 and the 280x

The 290 costs 2774 SEK ≈ 280-290 EUR.

The 280x costs 2200 SEK ≈ 240 EUR

The GTX 960 costs pretty much the same as the 280x.

Gonna assume you're recommending the 280x because it has 3gB of VRAM over the 960's 2?

If it's just for temporary use (I have no idea how long until you expect to find a job), you could probably find a cheaper graphics card. If you're playing at 1080p, something like the GTX 750 Ti might be better for your budget, it'll handle current games on medium or lower at respectable framerates.

Well I'm replacing my broken HD5870 (may it rest in peace) and kinda want to get a GPU with ab it more oomph :p. I've done my budget on this already so.
My motherboard recently died so I took the oppurtunity to upgrade my CPU.

mkenyon

Banned
Yep. I was a big fan of the 7970 over the 680/770 back when those were the top dogs, and still am.

Mostly because you can clock the 7970/280X to 1100+ MHz without breaking a sweat, and then it's an amazing card. The higher memory and memory bandwidth give it that extra edge too.

I had a Matrix 7970 as my main card for a year and a half, which is like an eternity for me.

*edit*

Additionally, you could look at the used market. ASUS, GB, MSI, and EVGA all have 3 year warranties based on serial number that transfers over.

The efficiency probably won't be affected very much by the cable, most power cords meant to be used with power supplies are made to the same standard.

That said, if you do pick up a cable from a general hardware store, make sure to get a cable that more or less matches the guage or thickness of the cable that came with the power supply. Years ago I made the mistake of picking up a random cable out of a box of miscellaneous parts to use with a power supply - it had the right connectors but the wiring was thinner and the cable was overall much lighter than most other "PSU" cables - after I plugged in the PC for a few seconds, there was a pop and crackle, and the power supply cable was smoking and melted. I switched to a proper, thicker power cable that I know was bundled with a power supply in the past and then it was fine.

That's my worst nightmare. Or that happening from inside the computer case from using the wrong cable!

Righty ok will heed your advice and see what I can buy.

RGM79

Cores go to high 40s-low 50s. GPU is about the same, I'd have to check again after playing something for a bit to be sure.
Case has really good airflow, like 5 fans in it.

Well, I guess it's not overheating, then, those really are very good load temperatures for games if true. Try a benchmark like Unigine Heaven or Furmark, you can keep an eye on temperatures in a program like GPU-Z and HWMonitor while the benchmark runs in a window. Furmark is supposed to push graphics cards harder than most games do.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yep. I was a big fan of the 7970 over the 680/770 back when those were the top dogs, and still am.

Mostly because you can clock the 7970/280X to 1100+ MHz without breaking a sweat, and then it's an amazing card. The higher memory and memory bandwidth give it that extra edge too.

I had a Matrix 7970 as my main card for a year and a half, which is like an eternity for me.

*edit*

Additionally, you could look at the used market. ASUS, GB, MSI, and EVGA all have 3 year warranties based on serial number that transfers over.

That's a really good idea actually, I'll look into it, thanks.

Well, I guess it's not overheating, then, those really are very good load temperatures for games if true. Try a benchmark like Unigine Heaven or Furmark, you can keep an eye on temperatures in a program like GPU-Z and HWMonitor while the benchmark runs in a window. Furmark is supposed to push graphics cards harder than most games do.

Mmm, how long do I let Furmark run for? lol
It's up to mid 70s in temp now and no crashes or instability.

After almost 15 mins it seems to hover between 75-77, not going any higher.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Aw man, half my parts won't get here til Monday. I ordered everything this Monday and paid for 3 day shipping too. Newegg pls

RGM79

Mmm, how long do I let Furmark run for? lol
It's up to mid 70s in temp now and no crashes or instability.

After almost 15 mins it seems to hover between 75-77, not going any higher.
How long does it take for it to crash when playing games? Well at the very least, it's probably not crashing due to overheating then. We're back to assuming it's driver issues. Download the latest driver installer, then use Display Driver Uninstaller and after it runs through safe mode to remove everything and reboots, install the latest drivers.

Does every game crash or just some? Apparently Guild Wars 2 is fine? When it crashed the day after it ran just fine, was it GW2 or another game?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Aw man, half my parts won't get here til Monday. I ordered everything this Monday and paid for 3 day shipping too. Newegg pls

I paid for overnight shipping on an item and nowhere on the checkout page does it mention they don't do Saturday deliveries.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I paid for overnight shipping on an item and nowhere on the checkout page does it mention they don't do Saturday deliveries.

I guess I'm spoiled by Amazon; maybe I missed it but didn't even catch a delivery estimate when I ordered.

It broke up my orders into 2; a wifi adapter's coming tonight and the rest Monday. I talked to CS and they wouldn't help me. So lame.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I guess I'm spoiled by Amazon; maybe I missed it but didn't even catch a delivery estimate when I ordered.

It broke up my orders into 2; a wifi adapter's coming tonight and the rest Monday. I talked to CS and they wouldn't help me. So lame.

They don't give estimates, which sucks.

Grumble, purchased a cheap SSD bracket on eBay, arrives and the screws for my case don't fit in the holes. So annoying. I knew of the problem before I ordered I just assumed the bad reviews were from idiots. Gonna try and force the hole to be a bit bigger with a drill but I'm not hopeful from my initial attempt.

Fracas

#fuckonami
All my parts came in, save for those from Newegg. All the essential stuff's there (mobo, CPU, and RAM).

At least the case looks nice ;__;

Varg

Banned
I'm not sure of this is the right place to ask but I'm having a very difficult time with my computer. I recently swapped out my twee sue to a broken power button on my old one. Everything seemed simple during the swap but now when I turn my computer on it won't recognize my video card (7970). I Google and tried lots of stuff but to no avail. If someone pc saavy can private message me to assist with a few questions so I don't shit up this thread it would be much appreciated.

RGM79

I'm not sure of this is the right place to ask but I'm having a very difficult time with my computer. I recently swapped out my twee sue to a broken power button on my old one. Everything seemed simple during the swap but now when I turn my computer on it won't recognize my video card (7970). I Google and tried lots of stuff but to no avail. If someone pc saavy can private message me to assist with a few questions so I don't shit up this thread it would be much appreciated.

What have you tried? GPU power cables secure and tight? Does the card's fans spin up? What about different PCI-E slots?

Tabasco

I got a BSOD while playing Metro: Last Light.

pfn list corrupt

This is the 6th time I've gotten this one.

I just want a PC with no issues god damn it.

KissVibes

Banned
I keep flip flopping on what video card to get. I want to get the i7 4790k and have 16GB of ram, for streaming and video editing. I originally wanted to spend no more than $1,200 (USD) but I'm thinking about going for the GTX 980. If I make the extra investment now, will I have a PC that'll last me 4-5 or so years?

Dwalls

Neo Member
all my parts just arrive. packaging was way lamer than I expected from alternate(the company I ordered from) three plastic bubble strips and that was it. Most of the stuff came in pretty decent packaging from the manufacturer so I've still got hope but in particular the dvd drive was just encased in a plastic bag. And the harddrive was wrapped in some soft cardboard. Somehow I feel like I'm off to a terrible start. Going to construct the testbench on the mobo box according to the guides I've seen. Will post back my progress so you guys can see novice building in action. Will post pictures of completed build/build in progress if I get there. Please pray for me GAF !

T.O.P

Banned
Ok so, i scratched the pre-assembled pc and started going for a personal build

-Case Midi Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Bianco € 130,00
-Hard Disk Interno Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 2TB 3.5" 64MB SATA3 € 79,10
-SSD Samsung 840 Evo Basic 120GB 2.5" Lettura 540MB/s Scrittura 410MB/s SATA3 € 81,20
-Sistema Operativo Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit OEM DVD Italiano € 142,90
-Alimentatore PC Seasonic S12G-650 650W 80+ Gold € 123,90
-Masterizzatore Interno Blu-Ray Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16X BD/DVD/CD Sata Bulk Nero € 68,70
-Scheda Madre MSI Z97 GAMING 7 Intel Z97 Socket 1150 DDR3 SATA3 USB3 ATX € 175,00
-CPU Intel Core i7-4790 Socket 1150 3,6GHz 8MB HD Graphics 4600 Boxed € 316,90
-VGA EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 Core 1165/1317MHz Memory GDDR5 7010MHz 4GB DVI HDMI DP € 352,40 €
-RAM DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600MHz (2x8GB) 16GB CL7 1,5V € 247,80

Around 1.700€ in total

Is there anything that i should fix? it would've been better around 1.4-1.5k but i didn't consider the OS wich threw me off

LilJoka

Grumble, purchased a cheap SSD bracket on eBay, arrives and the screws for my case don't fit in the holes. So annoying. I knew of the problem before I ordered I just assumed the bad reviews were from idiots. Gonna try and force the hole to be a bit bigger with a drill but I'm not hopeful from my initial attempt.

I would just not screw it down. SSDs can be hidden any where like behind the motherboard tray etc.

RGM79

I keep flip flopping on what video card to get. I want to get the i7 4790k and have 16GB of ram, for streaming and video editing. I originally wanted to spend no more than $1,200 (USD) but I'm thinking about going for the GTX 980. If I make the extra investment now, will I have a PC that'll last me 4-5 or so years?

If you drop options like SLI and an SSD, you can get the 4790K with 16GB RAM and a GTX 980 for about $1280.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($316.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($96.48 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($120.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1278.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-30 05:08 EST-0500

For about $50 more, you could replace the GTX 980 with two Gigabyte R9 290X cards in crossfire ($280 each) thanks to the recent AMD price cuts. Or save some money and go for a more balanced build by dropping down to a single R9 290X to put the money towards an SSD and a better power supply for future crossfire with a second R9 290X.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($316.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($96.48 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($120.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($96.49 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1150.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-30 05:12 EST-0500

all my parts just arrive. packaging was way lamer than I expected from alternate(the company I ordered from) three plastic bubble strips and that was it. Most of the stuff came in pretty decent packaging from the manufacturer so I've still got hope but in particular the dvd drive was just encased in a plastic bag. And the harddrive was wrapped in some soft cardboard. Somehow I feel like I'm off to a terrible start. Going to construct the testbench on the mobo box according to the guides I've seen. Will post back my progress so you guys can see novice building in action. Will post pictures of completed build/build in progress if I get there. Please pray for me GAF !

Well, that's how OEM parts are. They are intended for system builders and stores to use as components in pre-assembled PCs for sale, so they have the bare minimum for packaging. It should still be enough to keep the parts safe.

Good luck with your first PC build.

Ok so, i scratched the pre-assembled pc and started going for a personal build

-Case Midi Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Bianco € 130,00
-Hard Disk Interno Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 2TB 3.5" 64MB SATA3 € 79,10
-SSD Samsung 840 Evo Basic 120GB 2.5" Lettura 540MB/s Scrittura 410MB/s SATA3 € 81,20
-Sistema Operativo Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit OEM DVD Italiano € 142,90
-Alimentatore PC Seasonic S12G-650 650W 80+ Gold € 123,90
-Masterizzatore Interno Blu-Ray Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16X BD/DVD/CD Sata Bulk Nero € 68,70
-Scheda Madre MSI Z97 GAMING 7 Intel Z97 Socket 1150 DDR3 SATA3 USB3 ATX € 175,00
-CPU Intel Core i7-4790 Socket 1150 3,6GHz 8MB HD Graphics 4600 Boxed € 316,90
-VGA EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 Core 1165/1317MHz Memory GDDR5 7010MHz 4GB DVI HDMI DP € 352,40 €
-RAM DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600MHz (2x8GB) 16GB CL7 1,5V € 247,80

Around 1.700€ in total

Is there anything that i should fix? it would've been better around 1.4-1.5k but i didn't consider the OS wich threw me off

What is the computer for? Just games, or will you also be doing more processor-intensive work like video editing? Are there any specific retailers you are looking at? I can see some ways to save money, but some of the parts you picked have a better price than what I found from PCPartPicker's Italian database which is mostly priced from amazon.it, I will mention which ones.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€229.68 @ Amazon Italia)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€52.24 @ Amazon Italia)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€106.15 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (€139.73 @ Amazon Italia)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€99.99 @ Amazon Italia)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€71.36 @ Amazon Italia)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card (€307.91 @ Amazon Italia)
Case: BitFenix Outlaw USB3.0 ATX Mid Tower Case (€66.77 @ Amazon Italia)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€84.23 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €1158.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-30 11:33 CET+0100

Here's why I went with the different parts:

If you are just using the PC for games, then the i5 4690K is better choice. It can be overclocked for greater performance and longer useful life before you need to upgrade to a better processor. The i7 you chose cannot be overclocked and hyperthreading does not help unless you use programs that are specifically better suited for more than 4 processing threads, like some video editors or graphics rendering.

I recommend a better CPU cooler to use instead of the heatsink bundled with the Intel CPU, which can get hot and loud easily. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is decent, but seems to be fairly expensive from amazon.it, perhaps the stores you are looking at will have better or cheaper options.

You don't need to spend that much money on a motherboard. The ASRock Z97 Pro4 should have enough options to satisfy most people looking for a motherboard, unless you have a reason to prefer the 175€ Gigabyte model. If you prefer Gigabyte, then there's the GA-Z97X-UD3H for 130€ which has some more features than the ASRock model but is still cheaper than the Gaming 7.

The G.Skill RAM I picked is much cheaper yet still rated for a higher speed than the Corsair RAM you had listed. Paying 247€ for 16GB is absolutely overpriced.

With the money I had saved, I was able to fit the larger Crucial MX100 256GB SSD into your budget, it is a good brand and reliable model. I cannot recommend Seagate hard drives, the 2TB Toshiba model I picked out should be more reliable and also slightly cheaper.

For those on a budget, the R9 290 is very good value compared to the GTX 970. It is only slightly slower, and does not have the memory issue that the GTX 970 has. The GTX 970 is still a very good card, but the way Nvidia handled the recent affairs and the long term viability of the GTX 970 for higher resolution gaming and future games that need more VRAM make it easier to recommend the R9 290 instead.

I chose the Bitfenix Outlaw case mainly to save money. If you prefer the look of the Corsair 500R, that's your choice to make, and it will still fit in the budget. If you also want to save some money, consider the Corsair 400R instead, it is 102€ at amazon.it. Jonny Guru rated it very highly.

Seasonic makes excellent power supplies, but that model you picked is quite expensive at 124€. The XFX 650 watt power supply I chose is a very good model, it is actually built by Seasonic but badged by XFX, but costs less than 90€.

Windows 7/8.1 licenses can be purchased from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for $20 USD (~17€) or less, the sellers take paypal. These are fully working, unique Windows licenses from education programs like Technet or Dreamspark. Once you have the Windows key, you can easily get official Windows installers. The downside is that you are dealing with persons selling the keys themselves, not Microsoft, and they may or may not come in the Italian language out of the box. You may need to install the Italian language pack (1 & 2) if you prefer Italian and you find that the installer only provided an English interface.

It is up to you if you want to save money by purchasing Windows on the cheap or simply get the more convenient Italian retail version for 142€.

Now, the one thing I left off, the blu-ray drive. PCPartpicker's Italian price database has next to no information on blu-ray drive prices, so you will need to look for it yourself, unfortunately. Some tips I can give you are that if you want to watch blu-ray movies, make sure the drive comes with blu-ray movie player software. Not having software can be troublesome as blu-ray is a licensed technology and free players like VLC, WMP, and MPC do not work with blu-rays without some kind of workaround.

Varg

Banned
What have you tried? GPU power cables secure and tight? Does the card's fans spin up? What about different PCI-E slots?

The card lights and fans spin . I tried different slots and Same thing. Here is more in depth link from link that I put up. The only thing different that I did this time was connect the tower fans all directly to the power supply to get that control of the fan speed via the knob on top of my tower. Perhaps because of this there's not enough power for the gpu?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2488343/fresh-install-7970-recognized.html

RGM79

The card lights and fans spin . I tried different slots and Same thing. Here is more in depth link from link that I put up. The only thing different that I did this time was connect the tower fans all directly to the power supply to get that control of the fan speed via the knob on top of my tower. Perhaps because of this there's not enough power for the gpu?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2488343/fresh-install-7970-recognized.html

If you think it may be the power supply, then can you tell me what model of power supply you have?

I kind of doubt it has to do with the fans. The PSU was already powering the fans before indirectly through the motherboard, it shouldn't stop working just because you plugged them in a different way. Each fan generally only uses up a few watts by itself.

Are you able to test the graphics card in another PC? A friend's computer, maybe?

T.O.P

Banned
What is the computer for? Just games, or will you also be doing more processor-intensive work like video editing? Are there any specific retailers you are looking at? I can see some ways to save money, but some of the parts you picked have a better price than what I found from PCPartPicker's Italian database which is mostly priced from amazon.it, I will mention which ones.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€52.24 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (€139.73 @ Amazon Italia)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card (€307.91 @ Amazon Italia)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€84.23 @ Amazon Italia)

If you are just using the PC for games, then the i5 4690K is better choice. It can be overclocked for greater performance and longer useful life before you need to upgrade to a better processor. The i7 you chose cannot be overclocked and hyperthreading does not help unless you use programs that are specifically better suited for more than 4 processing threads, like some video editors or graphics rendering.

I recommend a better CPU cooler to use instead of the heatsink bundled with the Intel CPU, which can get hot and loud easily. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is decent, but seems to be fairly expensive from amazon.it, perhaps the stores you are looking at will have better or cheaper options.

You don't need to spend that much money on a motherboard. The ASRock Z97 Pro4 should have enough options to satisfy most people looking for a motherboard, unless you have a reason to prefer the 175€ Gigabyte model. If you prefer Gigabyte, then there's the GA-Z97X-UD3H for 130€ which has some more features than the ASRock model but is still cheaper than the Gaming 7.

The G.Skill RAM I picked is much cheaper yet still rated for a higher speed than the Corsair RAM you had listed. Paying 247€ for 16GB is absolutely overpriced.

With the money I had saved, I was able to fit the larger Crucial MX100 256GB SSD into your budget, it is a good brand and reliable model. I cannot recommend Seagate hard drives, the 2TB Toshiba model I picked out should be more reliable and also slightly cheaper.

For those on a budget, the R9 290 is very good value compared to the GTX 970. It is only slightly slower, and does not have the memory issue that the GTX 970 has. The GTX 970 is still a very good card, but the way Nvidia handled the recent affairs and the long term viability of the GTX 970 for higher resolution gaming and future games that need more VRAM make it easier to recommend the R9 290 instead.

I chose the Bitfenix Outlaw case mainly to save money. If you prefer the look of the Corsair 500R, that's your choice to make, and it will still fit in the budget. If you also want to save some money, consider the Corsair 400R instead, it is 102€ at amazon.it. Jonny Guru rated it very highly.

Seasonic makes excellent power supplies, but that model you picked is quite expensive at 124€. The XFX 650 watt power supply I chose is a very good model, it is actually built by Seasonic but badged by XFX, but costs less than 90€.

Windows 7/8.1 licenses can be purchased from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for $20 USD (~17€) or less, the sellers take paypal. These are fully working, unique Windows licenses from education programs like Technet or Dreamspark. Once you have the Windows key, you can easily get official Windows installers. The downside is that you are dealing with persons selling the keys themselves, not Microsoft, and they may or may not come in the Italian language out of the box. You may need to install the Italian language pack (1 & 2) if you prefer Italian and you find that the installer only provided an English interface.

It is up to you if you want to save money by purchasing Windows on the cheap or simply get the more convenient Italian retail version for 142€.

Now, the one thing I left off, the blu-ray drive. PCPartpicker's Italian price database has next to no information on blu-ray drive prices, so you will need to look for it yourself, unfortunately. Some tips I can give you are that if you want to watch blu-ray movies, make sure the drive comes with blu-ray movie player software. Not having software can be troublesome as blu-ray is a licensed technology and free players like VLC, WMP, and MPC do not work with blu-rays without some kind of workaround.

Holy answer, much apprecciated will give it a read once i'm home!

Raide

Is the GTX 660 a nice upgrade over my capable but a little older HD6850?

Picked out a PC that I want to buy and picked it out on a whim. Seems to have the spec I need and it is a good upgrade over my current system.

kharma45

Is the GTX 660 a nice upgrade over my capable but a little older HD6850?

Picked out a PC that I want to buy and picked it out on a whim. Seems to have the spec I need and it is a good upgrade over my current system.

Would be, but it's a tad long in the tooth now. What's your GPU budget?

Raide

Would be, but it's a tad long in the tooth now. What's your GPU budget?

Well, I really don't play a huge amount of games. Some random Steam bits but nothing major. Path of Exile is currently my time consuming project haha.

I am thinking about just buying a pre-built PC because I really cannot be bothered to build another PC. :D

Is there a more capable card I should try and upgrade to that might last a bit longer?

blado

Accessorieswhole is selling the qnix evolution II for 209 dollars on ebay. This seems like a ridiculously low price. Has anyone bought from them before? I still have my 980 paired with a 1080p monitor and was considering getting either the qnix or the x-star.

knitoe

I got a BSOD while playing Metro: Last Light.

pfn list corrupt

This is the 6th time I've gotten this one.

I just want a PC with no issues god damn it.
Did you verify that your video card isn't the problem?
Accessorieswhole is selling the qnix evolution II for 209 dollars on ebay. This seems like a ridiculously low price. Has anyone bought from them before? I still have my 980 paired with a 1080p monitor and was considering getting either the qnix or the x-star.
I have bought from them without any issues. They have very good ebay rating. Just know that if the monitor has problems, returning it would cost you almost $300 to ship back.

kharma45

Well, I really don't play a huge amount of games. Some random Steam bits but nothing major. Path of Exile is currently my time consuming project haha.

I am thinking about just buying a pre-built PC because I really cannot be bothered to build another PC. :D

Is there a more capable card I should try and upgrade to that might last a bit longer?

It all depends on what you're looking to spend.

blado

I have bought from them without any issues. They have very good ebay rating. Just know that if the monitor has problems, returning it would cost you almost $300 to ship back.

This is the biggest fear I have with these monitors. If I get one that's messed up, I'm completely screwed. I'll have to consider whether or not it's worth the risk.

kharma45

I would say £150 max probably. Again, I don't play that many games but it is nice to have a moderately good card to deal with random bits I might want to try down the line.

If you aren't set on Nvidia then you could get an R9 280 for £140.

Raide

If you aren't set on Nvidia then you could get an R9 280 for £140.

I don't really have a preference. Over the years I have had ATI/AMD and Geforce stuff. Had the Gt8800 last time and while it was good, it had some tech issues which caused me to upgrade.

I will check out the R9 280 then.

Also just ordered an MX100 128gb SSD. They seem to have had a good write-up, so I am getting one ready for my new system.

kharma45

I don't really have a preference. Over the years I have had ATI/AMD and Geforce stuff. Had the Gt8800 last time and while it was good, it had some tech issues which caused me to upgrade.

I will check out the R9 280 then.

Also just ordered an MX100 128gb SSD. They seem to have had a good write-up, so I am getting one ready for my new system.

MX100 is solid.

The R9 285 is £150 http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...ium=affiliate&utm_campaign=1018132_HotUKDeals Uses less power and has more modern features (easy downsampling, TrueAudio) but less VRAM.

The thing with the 660 is the 2GB model is effectively a 1.5GB so it's a bit hard to recommend now.

Raide

MX100 is solid.

The R9 285 is £150 http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...ium=affiliate&utm_campaign=1018132_HotUKDeals Uses less power and has more modern features (easy downsampling, TrueAudio) but less VRAM.

The thing with the 660 is the 2GB model is effectively a 1.5GB so it's a bit hard to recommend now.

Ok, I have checked the Radeon R9 285 and that does seem like a more logical choice to go for since it will last longer than the GTX660.

Thanks for your advice!

T.O.P

Banned

Hey again, the website i'll order my pc from is http://www.e-key.it/

Already got a lot of stuff from them and they're great at assembling and resolving problems after the purchase

I tried to remake the configuration you suggested on the website trying to stay as close as possible with what they had

this is what i got in the end

iOaZBtobH6uUz.jpg

Only one thing tho, is the power supply enough for a 290? the 750w required on the card page got me worried :/

Thanks again

Afro

Is the AOC G2460PG a decent g-sync monitor for $450? I'd wait for the Asus 27" IPS, but I'm guessing it'll run close to $1K.

RGM79

Hey again, the website i'll order my pc from is http://www.e-key.it/

Already got a lot of stuff from them and they're great at assembling and resolving problems after the purchase

I tried to remake the configuration you suggested on the website trying to stay as close as possible with what they had

this is what i got in the end

Only one thing tho, is the power supply enough for a 290? the 750w required on the card page got me worried :/

Thanks again
Manufacturers tend to overstate power supply requirements to stay on the safe side. The R9 290 will not run up more than 300 watts by itself, the 750 watt requirement assumes worst case scenario like some kind of inefficient (AMD? Overclocked?) CPU consuming 200+ watts and a dozen hard drives or something. The 650 watt power supply is more than enough for a single R9 290. Testing by Tweaktown and Anandtech showed totally system power consumption with the R9 290 to be less than 500 watts, your PC may consume a bit more.

The Haf 912 Plus is a decent case.

Good call on that Sapphire Tri-X model, that is one of the best R9 290 models you can get.

Overall the price is a little higher than the list I recommended, but much better than the original list of parts. I looked at the selection at e-key.it, I recommend these alternative parts instead to save more money or to perform better:

I wouldn't go for that NH-C14 cooler. Noctua makes very good coolers, but the model you chose is a bit old and there are better ones. On e-key.it they have the newer and better Noctua NH-D14 for 84€, the same price as the NH-C14 you chose. If you want to save some money, this Dark Rock 3 cooler is 63€ but will still perform well.

This Kingston HYperX Fury RAM is only 131€ and is the same speed as the one I recommended earlier from amazon.it and the one you picked from from e-key.it.

The non-modular version of the same XFX power supply is available for 81€

The Cooler Master N500 case (66€) is the cheapest case I can recommend.

There's a slightly cheaper version of more or less the same graphics card, just with a slightly lower clock speed. It costs 30€ less.

About 100€ was saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom