• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randam

Is there a general thread for pc problems?

Was using it without problems. Shut it down normally.
Wanted to use it yesterday but the desktop wouldn't turn on. Checked the cables, but nothing.

Here's a general question, as I know within the next 2 years I'm going to be building a gaming PC.

Are there any changes on the horizon (next year / year and a half) that I should be aware of? An example of this would be when Intel made the transition to their i3/i5/i7 line of processors.

I'm also trying to keep upcoming technologies in mind like Oculus Rift, which I hope to someday be able to use. Not sure that impacts anything, but I thought I'd mention.

RGM79

That's what I've done for the past couple of months I just don't feel comfortable about it.

As long as there's no stress or tension on the SATA connector, you can put it anywhere you like. Keeping it in the hard drive bay makes things neat, I guess.

Here's a general question, as I know within the next 2 years I'm going to be building a gaming PC.

Are there any changes on the horizon (next year / year and a half) that I should be aware of? An example of this would be when Intel made the transition to their i3/i5/i7 line of processors.

I'm also trying to keep upcoming technologies in mind like Oculus Rift, which I hope to someday be able to use. Not sure that impacts anything, but I thought I'd mention.

Intel has two new processor lines slated for release around September of this year. New AMD graphics cards due sometime in Q2 2015.

Two years is a long time - I'd wait until about a month or so before you actually plan to buy to check market prices for parts.

Intel has two new processor lines slated for release around September of this year. New AMD graphics cards due sometime in Q2 2015.

Two years is a long time - I'd wait until about a month or so before you actually plan to buy to check market prices for parts.
Thanks! I won't be buying anything until I'm ready to build. Just wanted a sense of when I should actually start the process.

Miang

Right then. I think this is it after some tweaking - thanks for the suggestion from @LilJoka to go microATX, will fit nicely under my desk, ATX would have been overkill! So my first little build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£173.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.44 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£82.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£56.68 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£51.35 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.39 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£103.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£74.21 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£10.46 @ Aria PC)
Total: £666.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-30 16:58 GMT+0000

The case was a little more expensive than I wanted but it seems to have good reviews and decent cooling/cable management. Anyone any experience of this case?

drotahorror

Might not be the right thread, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction if it's not.

I'll make this short as possible.

First off, I have my monitor hooked into an AV receiver. My PC is hooked into it as well.

I just bought a new monitor a BenQ GW2760HS. My old monitor is an HP 2511. When I go to my sound properties it looks like this -

d41gj38.jpg

It only does this if I switch receiver inputs (to play ps4, wii u etc). It SHOULD have my BenQ listed there instead of the HP.

If I restart my computer it will have the BenQ listed. This wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the fact that when I run my blu ray software it won't me view them as it says it's not HDCP compatible if the HP 2511 is listed in the sound properties.

How do I completely remove the HP 2511 from my PC? If I restart and the BenQ is listed I can watch blu rays no problem.

It's starting to really bug me. Thanks.

TLDR - My computer recognizes my old monitor (not hooked up) every time I switch inputs on AV receiver instead of my new monitor. This is causing HDCP issues with certain software and not allowing me to watch blu rays.

I might have fixed it I dunno. I deleted an hp 2511 folder in system32/driverstore/filerepository/. Then I installed the latest drivers from amd, they were pretty up to date but I had missed one update.

Intel has Skylake processors coming out towards the end of the year and it's supposed to be a pretty significant advancement. A lot of desktop vendors aren't even stocking Broadwell because of it.

Got a chance to buy a Corsair TX750w for 20 euros. I know it's old but it should get the job done for any single gpu config I throw at it right?
I really want to upgrade from my 500w, I'm looking at the R9 280 or 285.

Ok, I have checked the Radeon R9 285 and that does seem like a more logical choice to go for since it will last longer than the GTX660.

Thanks for your advice!

That 285 only has 2 gbs though, you can find a 280 with 3 gbs for less. Personally I'd go with the extra memory, investing in a 2 gb card at this point doesn't sound like a good idea.

Idba

Might not be the right thread, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction if it's not.

I'll make this short as possible.

First off, I have my monitor hooked into an AV receiver. My PC is hooked into it as well.

I just bought a new monitor a BenQ GW2760HS. My old monitor is an HP 2511. When I go to my sound properties it looks like this -

d41gj38.jpg

It only does this if I switch receiver inputs (to play ps4, wii u etc). It SHOULD have my BenQ listed there instead of the HP.

If I restart my computer it will have the BenQ listed. This wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the fact that when I run my blu ray software it won't me view them as it says it's not HDCP compatible if the HP 2511 is listed in the sound properties.

How do I completely remove the HP 2511 from my PC? If I restart and the BenQ is listed I can watch blu rays no problem.

It's starting to really bug me. Thanks.

TLDR - My computer recognizes my old monitor (not hooked up) every time I switch inputs on AV receiver instead of my new monitor. This is causing HDCP issues with certain software and not allowing me to watch blu rays.

I might have fixed it I dunno. I deleted an hp 2511 folder in system32/driverstore/filerepository/. Then I installed the latest drivers from amd, they were pretty up to date but I had missed one update.

Left click and check "Show disabled devices".

Is it really worth getting 120hz/144hz in a monitor or would it better to get something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014383

Also, which monitors actually have DP 1.2a or 1.3?

Playing at 144Hz is genuinely stunning and pleasing to the mind.

I've had an ASUS 144Hz monitor for a few months now but I'm still taken aback when starting a game up that could maintain a solid 144. And its not just how it looks, it also gives you more of a situational awareness (especially in competitive fps). Better feedback => better control. My K/D ratio has improved since switching to 144.

riflen

Intel has Skylake processors coming out towards the end of the year and it's supposed to be a pretty significant advancement. A lot of desktop vendors aren't even stocking Broadwell because of it.

Don't expect overclockable K series Skylake CPUs until 2016 though. You'll probably see the mobile, BGA and locked models in late 2015.

Sorry for insisting but I think I decided on the gpu since I found a good deal on a R9 280 dual-x OC so I'd like advice on the PSU I mentioned above.
I know that 750w is way more than this gpu really needs and that corsair is a great brand but my concern is the age of that specific model. It seems to have all the required connections and then some so it should be fine, right?

RGM79

Got a chance to buy a Corsair TX750w for 20 euros. I know it's old but it should get the job done for any single gpu config I throw at it right?
I really want to upgrade from my 500w, I'm looking at the R9 280 or 285.

Sorry for insisting but I think I decided on the gpu since I found a good deal on a R9 280 dual-x OC so I'd like advice on the PSU I mentioned above.
I know that 750w is way more than this gpu really needs and that corsair is a great brand but my concern is the age of that specific model. It seems to have all the required connections and then some so it should be fine, right?

I don't really see the point of upgrading to a used 750 watt power supply. Even you know that you don't actually need it. How old is the TX750? Is it the V1 or V2? If it was the newer V2 I think it could be an OK buy, if it's the older V1 then who knows how old it is? The TX750 V1 were first available in 2007, about 7~8 years ago. That's a long time even for a quality power supply, if it were a V1 I'd be wondering if it was close to the end of its own life.

Is your current power supply really bad or in danger of failing? You mentioned it was a FSP Group brand, but I don't think you mentioned which model it was exactly. I don't remember being able to find a review for your FSP power supply, anyway.

CBTech

Man, I was dead set on getting a 970 until I started reading about the issues associated with it. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but I'm afraid it is going to shorten its lifespan significantly. At the same time dishing out an extra $200+ dollars on a 980 is steep.

Dwalls

Neo Member
Guys, yo! I finished my build, everything seems to be functioning except for the 1tb hd, which I haven't tested yet because my mobo only came with 2 sata cables and I had none spare. I'm going to pick up another sata cable tomorrow and I'll test out the harddrive. I kind of want to disable the dvd drive right now and plug the harddrive in but I installed an OEM version of W8.1 so I'm not sure if that would be a change substantial enough to make it act funny about it. I'll upload some pictures later. Feel really proud of myself for completing my first build. The only thing that drove me crazy was the hyper evo bracketmount, that thing is made by the devil. It's funny because I had previously installed one and it was fine. Also routing the wires is a pain with the straight connectors that somehow need to do a 180 loop to fit into their socket after going behind the backpanel. I pulled it off but it's not perfect yet and there is kind of a bunch of wiresoup going behind the backpanel. The 2 6x2 pin connectors for the graphic card are also super upfront :(. My desk was too low and I struggled too long with certain plugs too so now my back is killing me. Next time I'm plugging in the cpu before I install that evo. Also I had one good test outside on the mobo box, installed everything, pushed the button nothing happened and freaked out for like a minute. I followed the first piece of advice that said you should check all the cables and sure enough my mobo power cable had come off slightly. Such exciting stuff dudes j/k - it kind of was for me though, I'm already feeling an addiction brewing, might do a mini atx build next for streaming movies from an inhome server or something.

mkenyon

Banned
Man, I was dead set on getting a 970 until I started reading about the issues associated with it. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but I'm afraid it is going to shorten its lifespan significantly. At the same time dishing out an extra $200+ dollars on a 980 is steep.
It's not even something to ponder about unless you want to downsample with ultra textures or use a >1080p res monitor. It's a great card with great performance that suits the needs of 95%+ of people now and for a few years into the future.

The issue is more that they were dishonest, not that it's something to fret about with 1080p or even most 1440p gaming. The group of people that have been affected by it are a niche of niche category of users that should not have bought a mid tier Maxwell card in the first place.

CBTech

It's not even something to ponder about unless you want to downsample with ultra textures or use a >1080p res monitor.

The issue is more that they were dishonest, not that it's something to fret about with 1080p or even most 1440p gaming. The group of people that have been affected by it are a niche of niche category of users that should not have bought a mid tier Maxwell card in the first place.

Ok, I couldn't get a feel for what range of gamer this was affecting. Yeah, I'm not planning on downsampling or using a 4k monitor anytime soon. I just want to do 1080p and 144hz. If the 970 will do that for a few years I feel a lot better about getting one.

I don't really see the point of upgrading to a used 750 watt power supply. Even you know that you don't actually need it. How old is the TX750? Is it the V1 or V2? If it was the newer V2 I think it could be an OK buy, if it's the older V1 then who knows how old it is? The TX750 V1 were first available in 2007, about 7~8 years ago. That's a long time even for a quality power supply, if it were a V1 I'd be wondering if it was close to the end of its own life.

Is your current power supply really bad or in danger of failing? You mentioned it was a FSP Group brand, but I don't think you mentioned which model it was exactly. I don't remember being able to find a review for your FSP power supply, anyway.

Just figured that for 20 euros I might as well future-proof myself in terms of PSU. No idea if it's V1 or V2. Can't find any indication on the box or the psu itself. (Edit: it's more than 5 years old so it's the V1. Didn't realize he had bought it so long ago).
I know 500w is fine for the gpu you recommended but the deal I'm looking at is for the OC version and 500w seems to be cutting it too close.

Ok, I couldn't get a feel for what range of gamer this was affecting. Yeah, I'm not planning on downsampling or using a 4k monitor anytime soon. I just want to do 1080p and 144hz. If the 970 will do that for a few years I feel a lot better about getting one.

You are fine with the 970 then.

It is an amazing card. All of us tech snobs and graphics elitists are more angry about the run around NVIDIA is doing on this particular situation.

Dwalls

Neo Member
So here's my temps, using a fractal define r5 with the standard casefans and a hyperevo 212, this is just from downloading drivers etc, mostly being Idle I guess. Are these looking good so far? I'll stress test later to see if they hold up under load.

The Llama

So here's my temps, using a fractal define with the standard casefan and a hyperevo, this is just from downloading drivers etc, mostly being Idle I guess. Are these looking good so far? I'll stress test later to see if they hold up under load.

They seem fine, but giving load temps is generally more useful.

Playing at 144Hz is genuinely stunning and pleasing to the mind.

I've had an ASUS 144Hz monitor for a few months now but I'm still taken aback when starting a game up that could maintain a solid 144. And its not just how it looks, it also gives you more of a situational awareness (especially in competitive fps). Better feedback => better control. My K/D ratio has improved since switching to 144.

I may still wait for the new Freesync monitors to come out. Hopefully they will 120hz/144hz and at least more affordable.

Also, for someone that mostly games and watches videos, is it even worth getting an IPS, or are those more so for making videos, editing pics and other things?

mkenyon

Banned
I may still wait for the new Freesync monitors to come out. Hopefully they will 120hz/144hz and at least more affordable.

Also, for someone that mostly games and watches videos, is it even worth getting an IPS, or are those more so for making videos, editing pics and other things?
If you can keep your panel angled to your face, and you aren't bothered by slightly different shades of a color between the top and bottom of your monitor, then TN is perfectly suitable.

VA = best for general media consumption.

IPS = best for professional content creation.

Keep in mind that NVIDIA likely will not be supporting FreeSync, unless they've said otherwise and I missed it.

LilJoka

Right then. I think this is it after some tweaking - thanks for the suggestion from @LilJoka to go microATX, will fit nicely under my desk, ATX would have been overkill! So my first little build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£173.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.44 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£82.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£56.68 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£51.35 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.39 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£103.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£74.21 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£10.46 @ Aria PC)
Total: £666.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-30 16:58 GMT+0000

The case was a little more expensive than I wanted but it seems to have good reviews and decent cooling/cable management. Anyone any experience of this case?

I have this case. It's really nice but the HDD cage is so badly placed. It can cause some boards USB3.0 header to be blocked or hard to access. The HDD cables protrude towards the CPU cooler making large coolers troublesome but single tower coolers should be ok.

To alleviate this I Velcro the HDDs into the DVD drive slots. Then the case looks immaculate. You can buy adaptors otherwise.

I find the front fan to be a little loud too, makes a non smooth noise.

LilJoka

NoRéN;149852879 said:
Ha! Yeah, that would be bad. Luckily they are both there, OS ssd and games ssd.

Any good program to monitor ssd temps and health?

Samsung have their own tools I beleive, HD Tune also works.
SSD temps? Why? They sit at around 30c no matter what and can sustain higher temps that you'll be able to subject them to.

Flandy

Is my CPU over clocked or something?
Getting 45°C-50°C just on the desktop and while I'm in game it can go as high as mid 80s.
i7 2600k

knitoe

Is my CPU over clocked or something?
Getting 45°C-50°C just on the desktop and while I'm in game it can go as high as mid 80s.
i7 2600k

Are you using the stock cooler? If yes, those temps are not unusual for it. If using an after market cooler, download, run HWInfo and see what your max cpu speed shows after running something load intensive. And, if you are not OC, you should be. Makes a big difference in gaming, video editing and so on.

Not sure if it's the right place to ask, but what would be a good asking price for a used EVGA gtx 670 ftw that is in perfect clean condition and has a stable potential OC of around 1290-1300MHz, with original box, poster, stickers, parts, etc? I am trying to sell mine and will probably pop into the BST thread :).

Using a ARCTIC Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 CPU Cooler. However my Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO was literally just delivered 2 minutes ago so I'm gonna install that soon.

I only built this computer about a month ago so I haven't. However, I got a used mobo and cpu.

Could be the heatsink was full of dust, could be the bios wasn't set to defaults, could be a crappy application of thermal paste. Lots of possible reasons...

Since you have a new one just do a good job with the paste and reset to defaults and I'm sure it'll stay cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom