• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISOM

So I just built my very first PC! Very excited, it was extremely nerve racking trying to build it on my own with nothing but a gaming friend over skype guiding me on what to do. Here's my build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CWmGwP

Anyways, everything seems to be going fine except one thing, I am getting no audio output. I imagine since I'm getting video output that I installed the GPU correctly. I tried clicking on the audio icon in the bottom right and it says I have audio, but clearly I don't. Any suggestions? Is this even the right thread for this?

You may need to download the motherboard sound drivers. Go to the official webpage and see if that helps.

Anyone here using PCI Express SSDs? I'm already theory-crafting my Intel Cannonlake computer for 2016 and would like to know what people think about PCI Express SSDs.

Do they beat out my RAID 0 Samsung 840 Pros (256GBx2)?

The Llama

Anyone here using PCI Express SSDs? I'm already theory-crafting my Intel Cannonlake computer for 2016 and would like to know what people think about PCI Express SSDs.

This is pretty much a guess because I haven't seen any benchmarks, but I guess that as a practical matter you won't notice any difference (just like as a practical matter you wouldn't notice a difference between RAID 0 SSD's and non-RAID 0 SSD's).

RGM79

Would you guys recommend upgrading from a 670 or wait for the next series?

The Gigabyte R9 290X is $280 after $20 rebate, making it an attractive option for $300 and less. It'll do 1080p just fine.

Or you may want to wait and see if anything comes from the R9 3xx line that is rumored for release in the next few months.

Wow, you have a need for speed. In 2016 Samsung should have released their SM951 model, a NVMe SSD that surpasses and succeeds the XP941, so you should wait for that. They should beat out RAID 0 SSDs, at least on paper.

For me.. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference very easily, it's probably on the order of seconds depending on what it is that's loading.

Cystm

Am I going to be able to to play games like Star Citizen and Tom Clancy’s The Division on High and Ultra settings with these system specs:

izHdr57rRxdKY.png

Is cooling/overclocking going to get 40+ FPS @ Mex res with current HW or do I need to upgrade?

I can do something in the 200$ range if needed. Not really interested in anything beyond that. 120/140Hz/1440 are not within my budget atm.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

RGM79

Am I going to be able to to play games like Star Citizen and Tom Clancy’s The Division on High and Ultra settings with these system specs:

izHdr57rRxdKY.png

Is cooling/overclocking going to get 40+ FPS @ Mex res with current HW or do I need to upgrade?

I can do something in the 200$ range if needed. Not really interested in anything beyond that. 120/140Hz/1440 are not within my budget atm.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

The only thing in question would be your graphics card. I'd wait until official PC requirements are announced before buying a new graphics card. Overclocking your 3570K is recommended.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, the last piece of the puzzle for my PC is a new graphics card. Would it be wise to wait a week or two to pick up a 970 (or maybe two)? Could the PR thing at the moment possibly lead to some nice sales soon?

T.O.P

Banned
Go ahead if you like, you have the money for it and it's better than the Cooler Master N500. I put together a build for family of a friend using the Corsair C70, it was a very pleasant experience.

you da best :D

Will order on monday then

Pachimari

Oh no, I'm scared now. I build my first computer back in April thanks to these nice folks in this thread but now I need your help again. My computer have just gotten a BlueScreen three times and crashed. It says this in the report:

Files that help describe the problem:
C:WindowsMinidump13115-21138-01.dmp
C:UsersadminAppDataLocalTempWER-37970-0.sysdata.xml

What does this mean? And why does it crash? :(

All ready to go guys, gonna build today. Wish me luck!

10838012_643226782472556_1243269855834577890_o.jpg

Full component list if anyone is interested:

CPU: i7 5820K @ 3.3
Motherboard: MSI X99 SLI Plus
Ram: 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz Crucial
Graphics: AMD R9 270X 2GB ITX
SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 650W
Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
Optical Drive: SATA DVD Burner
Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15
Monitor: AOC I2369VM IPS

Had to 'cheap out', comparatively speaking, on the RAM, monitor and GPU as I ran out of cash for now XD But will upgrade these over the course of the year.

Kayant

All ready to go guys, gonna build today. Wish me luck!

Full component list if anyone is interested:

CPU: i7 5820K @ 3.3
Motherboard: MSI X99 SLI Plus
Ram: 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz Crucial
Graphics: AMD R9 270X 2GB ITX
SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 650W
Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
Optical Drive: SATA DVD Burner
Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15
Monitor: AOC I2369VM IPS

Had to 'cheap out', comparatively speaking, on the RAM, monitor and GPU as I ran out of cash for now XD But will upgrade these over the course of the year.

That CPU... *looks in envy*

I have the same monitor. Has been great so far although wish the whites were better. Yh u definitely need a new GPU to take advantage of the CPU.

Good luck on the build :)

kharma45

So, the last piece of the puzzle for my PC is a new graphics card. Would it be wise to wait a week or two to pick up a 970 (or maybe two)? Could the PR thing at the moment possibly lead to some nice sales soon?

It's unlikely. I can't see Nvidia making many, if any, concessions.

That CPU... *looks in envy*

I have the same monitor. Has been great so far although wish the whites were better. Yh u definitely need a new GPU to take advantage of the CPU.

Good luck on the build :)

Thanks man.

Well this is for work mainly, and I need it to last several years, so I went with the six-core over the i7 4790K, which I would have chosen if I was gonna game on it mostly.

Yeah the AOC offers tremendous price/performance, great little monitor.

Afro

Quick question. Is there a point in enabling triple buffering and setting max pre-rendered frames to 1 to eliminate micro stutter (with v-sync) or is just one or the other ideal? Appreciate it.

Kayant

Thanks man.

Well this is for work mainly, and I need it to last several years, so I went with the six-core over the i7 4790K, which I would have chosen if I was gonna game on it mostly.

Yeah the AOC offers tremendous price/performance, great little monitor.

Fair enough. The i5 4690K most likely because in terms of pure gaming the jump to an i7 isn't justified by the £90 or so increase for a 3-5fps on average increase.

Yh definitely is. Kinda wish I waited a bit as the dell U2414H can be had for £150 from this seller NRG. Still very happy with the AOC for my first pc build.

decided to finally try building a pc and would like some input about the last few items I should get for this build.

so far i have the following items purchased:

CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
motherboard ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
MemoryG.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

the EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card seems like a good card that is in my price range.

for everything else I'm not sure as to what i should be looking for. any help would be appreciated

part picker item list for the above

kharma45

decided to finally try building a pc and would like some input about the last few items I should get for this build.

so far i have the following items purchased:

CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
motherboard ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
MemoryG.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

the EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card seems like a good card that is in my price range.

for everything else I'm not sure as to what i should be looking for. any help would be appreciated

part picker item list for the above

960 is a fairly good card. AMD's R9 280 is also worth considering too

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

What's the budget you have left for the rest of your build?

Okay, so tech issue.

I looked at my SSD space (MX100) and should had a lot more space. So I used CCleaner to check for temporary files and apparently I had 50 GB of temp files. 10GB were pre renders or something but there were also a huge amount of log files.

Anyhow, I was being stupid and deleted them.

That went well for a day, but after that things turned weird.

So my PC suddenly would not boot into Windows. Restoring the PC wouldn't work. So I reinstalled my Windows on my SSD and kept everything on my other drives. Well, I did that and everything worked again, until a day later I had new problems.

My Windows would again not boot, but this time a system restore point would help. I played some Assassins Creed Unity and it would suddenly crash my Windows during loading (it was installed on that SSD). This happened another time. Also at times all my programs would be very unresponsive until after a long time or crash all together, including explorer and such.

Also couldn't boot again, but system restore points keep helping.

I have use HD Tune, one time it gave all red blocks to my SSD when everything was crashing, but at a reboot everything seemed fine on all drives, even with an extensive scan.

So, what could be wrong? Considering this was after I deleted temporary files I would think it is a software issue, and my HD Tune doesn't show anything either. But I did reinstall Windows. Also have checked with Malwarebytes and Windows Defender (I'll assume it isn't a super recent thing type of thing, so it should be fine I think), but no results.

Could I have screwed up my SSD firmware or something, would I need to wipe my other drives too, could a different SATA port help? Do I need to reinstall again? Is my SSD broken?

diegotristanUK

Neo Member
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.74 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.44 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£105.70 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£69.59 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£49.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£280.00 @ Aria PC)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£43.48 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£56.39 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer (£14.89 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.35 @ Aria PC)
Total: £920.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

What you guys/gals think of this build? Haven't gone ahead and bought anything yet, would just like some advice.

kharma45

Preferably 300-400 range.

Couple of options for you

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card ($172.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $347.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-31 09:14 EST-0500

or

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($199.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $374.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-31 09:15 EST-0500

You could also look to boost up the size of that SSD.

For those if you who has a i5-3570k CPU, when do you plan to upgrade it? Are you waiting for Skylake unlocked models coming in Q3 2015 or do you expect it to last you through more generations? I have one since 2012 and I was trying to plan when an upgrade would be needed. I currently game at 1080p but want to upgrade to a higher resolution eventually in the near future to 1440p or maybe higher.

I like to max out settings.

RGM79

Okay, so tech issue.

I looked at my SSD space (MX100) and should had a lot more space. So I used CCleaner to check for temporary files and apparently I had 50 GB of temp files. 10GB were pre renders or something but there were also a huge amount of log files.

Anyhow, I was being stupid and deleted them.

That went well for a day, but after that things turned weird.

So my PC suddenly would not boot into Windows. Restoring the PC wouldn't work. So I reinstalled my Windows on my SSD and kept everything on my other drives. Well, I did that and everything worked again, until a day later I had new problems.

My Windows would again not boot, but this time a system restore point would help. I played some Assassins Creed Unity and it would suddenly crash my Windows during loading (it was installed on that SSD). This happened another time. Also at times all my programs would be very unresponsive until after a long time or crash all together, including explorer and such.

Also couldn't boot again, but system restore points keep helping.

I have use HD Tune, one time it gave all red blocks to my SSD when everything was crashing, but at a reboot everything seemed fine on all drives, even with an extensive scan.

So, what could be wrong? Considering this was after I deleted temporary files I would think it is a software issue, and my HD Tune doesn't show anything either. But I did reinstall Windows. Also have checked with Malwarebytes and Windows Defender (I'll assume it isn't a super recent thing type of thing, so it should be fine I think), but no results.

Could I have screwed up my SSD firmware or something, would I need to wipe my other drives too, could a different SATA port help? Do I need to reinstall again? Is my SSD broken?

Deleting temporary files doesn't sound like it should cause an issue like that. Logs are just text files mentioning system events, they should be more than safe to delete. No idea if it's a firmware issue, but in normal use there shouldn't be anything directly affecting the firmware. Still, look for a firmware update for your MX100 and apply it if you find one.

What are your system specs? Have you encountered any bluescreens? If fresh installs of Windows still result in problems sooner or later, I'd suspect the SSD.. try SSDLife or CrystalDiskMark, run some tests with the latter.

H4r4kiri

Hey someone gave me a tip to buy Windows at reddit. My Question is, if this is legal and what Version to get?
AS far as I understood it the N-Version of Windows is just without the Media PLayer. You can get the Media player for free at Microsoft's Site, if I am informed correctly ? So why should I pay more for a normal Version over the N-Version ?

Furthermore what Edition should I get ? Pro or Standard ?

Couple of options for you

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card ($172.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $347.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-31 09:14 EST-0500

or

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($199.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $374.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-31 09:15 EST-0500

You could also look to boost up the size of that SSD.
Gratitude sir. Will likely use these items or similar to finish buying. Was going to wait to buy it over the course of a month but don't think I could without going crazy.

Kayant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.74 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.44 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£105.70 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£69.59 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£49.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£280.00 @ Aria PC)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£43.48 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£56.39 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer (£14.89 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.35 @ Aria PC)
Total: £920.50

What you guys/gals think of this build? Haven't gone ahead and bought anything yet, would just like some advice.

That i5 is actually £189.95 once you click through to aria. So you might as jump to the i5 4690k

Some changes you could make( Will update later with more)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£179.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£27.19)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£51.35 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£281.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £539.53

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/C92tsY

Do you really need the CD/DVD writer? Windows you can install via USB.
Also drop the OS as you can get it for cheap on http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap

Also look into matx cases or cube cases like the Corsair Carbide Air 240 for smaller form factor especially if you're planning on going with a single GPU. You can still SLI in future if you chose to.

diegotristanUK

Neo Member
That i5 is actually £189.95 once you click through to aria. So you might as jump to the i5 4690k

Some changes you could make( Will update later with more)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£179.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£27.19)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£51.35 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£281.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £539.53

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/C92tsY

Do you really need the CD/DVD writer? Windows you can install via USB.
Also drop the OS as you can get it for cheap on http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap

Also look into matx cases or cube cases like the Corsair Carbide Air 240 for smaller form factor especially if you're planning on going with a single GPU. You can still SLI in future if you chose to.

If I can get an optical drive for 14 squids then I think i'll go for it. Thanks for the suggestions on the other components though. Will drop the OS as you pointed out, thanks. :)

Deleting temporary files doesn't sound like it should cause an issue like that. Logs are just text files mentioning system events, they should be more than safe to delete. No idea if it's a firmware issue, but in normal use there shouldn't be anything directly affecting the firmware. Still, look for a firmware update for your MX100 and apply it if you find one.

What are your system specs? Have you encountered any bluescreens? If fresh installs of Windows still result in problems sooner or later, I'd suspect the SSD.. try SSDLife or CrystalDiskMark, run some tests with the latter.

Well, there was probably more than only logs, but 50GB is nuts. The Windows disk cleaner didn't show them either. I had no issues at all before deleting them, so that is why I suspect I did something wrong there. Especially because it was CCleaner and not something from Windows.

And yes, constant blue screens, when I am already playing it says Kernel Infile error or whatever it is called, but that doesn't help. At other times it tells me it can't access a file and that is usually something in system32. But I am pretty much at a loss.

EDIT: Okay, new issue. My Windows Defender has been turned off twice now. And suddenly my Twitch sound started acting wonky.

Anyhow, SSDLife also doesn't show anything.

9994540fc8.png

EDIT 2: Oh, I just got one again: A Required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed. When booting the PC, on a restart it works but everything is really slow after it has booted.

Miang

Is it preferable to go with a modular PSU with a micro atx case? Specifically the Silverstone TJO8B-E. I've changed the PSU on my list like 6 times now and just can't decide which to go for :/

The Llama

Is it preferable to go with a modular PSU with a micro atx case? Specifically the Silverstone TJO8B-E. I've changed the PSU on my list like 6 times now and just can't decide which to go for :/

IMO it's always preferable to go with a modular PSU, but even moreso in a small case. Once you go modular you never go back.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
Extremely niche problem but I'm hoping PC Gaf can help me get my main room set up just right. System hooked up to two monitors, let's call them 1 and 2. 1 is my main work space and my 1080p gaming display. 2 is used as a secondary display, great for video while I'm working, twitter stream, etc..... Desktop is extended over both displays.

However, we've rearranged the layout of the room today, and now the TV is within HDMI cable reach. So I've plugged it in, as display 3, purely for couch gaming with the wife and kids, plus the odd Jackbox when we are entertaining guests. Purely because I'm lazy, can I mirror display 1 to display 3, while maintaining 2 as an extension as 1? The less fussing to get couch gaming on the go, the better.

Kayant

If I can get an optical drive for 14 squids then I think i'll go for it. Thanks for the suggestions on the other components though. Will drop the OS as you pointed out, thanks. :)

Also just remembered if you want to get all the stuff from one place then getting the MSI gtx 970 from scan about £10 or so more will get you free next day delivery for your entire order at scan.

Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£59.12 @ Amazon UK)

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/nnwTD3

Motherboard will depend on if you decide to go for the smaller form factor. You can get a better PSU I think even though I have the same one :p but am not well vested to recommend better ones but am sure RGM97 and others can do.

Azulsky

It depends. Sometimes you do better because the non-modular units cabling fits easier because there isn't that extra connection adding length to the PSU. The flip side is that your fixed cable PSU might just have too many cables to leave in your case. Along with that it depends on how much you are squeezing in the case that needs to be plugged in.

The best thing to do is look for builds using your case and see what PSU they used.
http://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/silverstone-case-tj08be

drotahorror

Might not be the right thread, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction if it's not.

I'll make this short as possible.

First off, I have my monitor hooked into an AV receiver. My PC is hooked into it as well.

I just bought a new monitor a BenQ GW2760HS. My old monitor is an HP 2511. When I go to my sound properties it looks like this -

d41gj38.jpg

It only does this if I switch receiver inputs (to play ps4, wii u etc). It SHOULD have my BenQ listed there instead of the HP.

If I restart my computer it will have the BenQ listed. This wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the fact that when I run my blu ray software it won't me view them as it says it's not HDCP compatible if the HP 2511 is listed in the sound properties.

How do I completely remove the HP 2511 from my PC? If I restart and the BenQ is listed I can watch blu rays no problem.

It's starting to really bug me. Thanks.

TLDR - My computer recognizes my old monitor (not hooked up) every time I switch inputs on AV receiver instead of my new monitor. This is causing HDCP issues with certain software and not allowing me to watch blu rays.

I might have fixed it I dunno. I deleted an hp 2511 folder in system32/driverstore/filerepository/. Then I installed the latest drivers from amd, they were pretty up to date but I had missed one update.

I lied. I did not fix this. When I turn off my receiver, my audio device reverts back to HP 2511. It should stay my BenQ monitor. Like I said, I wouldn't care if it didn't affect blu ray playback. I'm sure no one knows whats going on.

Better yet....
Since this probably can't be fixed without a format, I have another question.

How can I get my audio devices to list my receiver instead of my monitor? The only way I can get it to recognize the receiver is if I shut down all devices (monitor, receiver, pc) turn PC on and let it get to desktop. Turn receiver on. Then turn (plug in power actually) on monitor. Due to some sort of hdmi handshaking issue my PC won't recognize the receiver as the audio device unless I do things in that order. How can I get my PC to recognize my receiver 100% of the time without all the hassle?

RGM79

Hey someone gave me a tip to buy Windows at reddit. My Question is, if this is legal and what Version to get?
AS far as I understood it the N-Version of Windows is just without the Media PLayer. You can get the Media player for free at Microsoft's Site, if I am informed correctly ? So why should I pay more for a normal Version over the N-Version ?

Furthermore what Edition should I get ? Pro or Standard ?

It's a bit of a grey area. Those keys are most likely from educational programs like Technet and Dreamspark. During my time at college, I got around a dozen different Windows keys for different versions while taking full and part time IT courses. It's not as though buying keys from reddit is piracy, but you and the person selling the keys are probably breaking some EULA because the keys aren't supposed to be resold outside of educational use or at all.

You can get whatever version you like, it makes little difference. Just make sure to get the right Windows ISO for the key you are buying. If you are buying an 8/8.1 key, this should be easy as the official Windows installer downloaders should automatically get the right ISO for you.

The N version exists because in the EU and possibly elsewhere, there were antitrust lawsuits that had a problem with Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer being bundled with the OS, so as a result, Microsoft had to make "N" versions available that come without the bundled media player and a slightly different browser. It does not matter very much if you get the "N" version, like you said, you can just get a media player yourself. Usually the "N" versions are cheaper.

The features of the Pro versions don't matter very much for the end user. Pro editions come with extra features for businesses and high level users, like domain services and bitlocker encryption.

Well, there was probably more than only logs, but 50GB is nuts. The Windows disk cleaner didn't show them either. I had no issues at all before deleting them, so that is why I suspect I did something wrong there. Especially because it was CCleaner and not something from Windows.

And yes, constant blue screens, when I am already playing it says Kernel Infile error or whatever it is called, but that doesn't help. At other times it tells me it can't access a file and that is usually something in system32. But I am pretty much at a loss.

EDIT: Okay, new issue. My Windows Defender has been turned off twice now. And suddenly my Twitch sound started acting wonky.

Anyhow, SSDLife also doesn't show anything.

9994540fc8.png

EDIT 2: Oh, I just got one again: A Required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed. When booting the PC, on a restart it works but everything is really slow after it has booted.

It looks like your drive itself is fine. I was wondering what could be behind HD Tune reporting a lot of red errors. It might be worthwhile to look inside the case and make sure SATA connections are tightened and pushed in all the way. Maybe try a different port, like you said. It may be that connections are loose and it fails to be accessed when it loses connection, but not entirely likely.

You should see if BlueScreenView might shed some light on what the errors mean.

Extremely niche problem but I'm hoping PC Gaf can help me get my main room set up just right. System hooked up to two monitors, let's call them 1 and 2. 1 is my main work space and my 1080p gaming display. 2 is used as a secondary display, great for video while I'm working, twitter stream, etc..... Desktop is extended over both displays.

However, we've rearranged the layout of the room today, and now the TV is within HDMI cable reach. So I've plugged it in, as display 3, purely for couch gaming with the wife and kids, plus the odd Jackbox when we are entertaining guests. Purely because I'm lazy, can I mirror display 1 to display 3, while maintaining 2 as an extension as 1? The less fussing to get couch gaming on the go, the better.

Windows doesn't have the ability to both mirror and extend at the same time, but programs for managing multiple monitors like Displayfusion and Ultramon can do it, I think.

I lied. I did not fix this. When I turn off my receiver, my audio device reverts back to HP 2511. It should stay my BenQ monitor. Like I said, I wouldn't care if it didn't affect blu ray playback. I'm sure no one knows whats going on.

Better yet....
Since this probably can't be fixed without a format, I have another question.

How can I get my audio devices to list my receiver instead of my monitor? The only way I can get it to recognize the receiver is if I shut down all devices (monitor, receiver, pc) turn PC on and let it get to desktop. Turn receiver on. Then turn (plug in power actually) on monitor. Due to some sort of hdmi handshaking issue my PC won't recognize the receiver as the audio device unless I do things in that order. How can I get my PC to recognize my receiver 100% of the time without all the hassle?

Simply deleting the folder will not make a difference if the system thinks it's still plugged in. When it shows "HP 2511", go into device manager and see if you can find HP 2511, then right click on it and uninstall.

drotahorror

Simply deleting the folder will not make a difference if the system thinks it's still plugged in. When it shows "HP 2511", go into device manager and see if you can find HP 2511, then right click on it and uninstall.

It's not listed

LIwCrjk.jpg

The strange thing is when I go to properties of the hp 2511 in the playback devices and then click the Supported Formats tab it's listed as the BenQ as indicated in the picture. I tried to remove the monitor on the General tab in the properties as well but it won't remove the monitor, as it shows up as AMD hd audio.

Honestly I think this is an AMD issue. If I go to screen resolution my monitor is listed. But the sound properties it's not. AMD handles my hdmi audio and it's probably their fault.

RGM79

It's not listed

LIwCrjk.jpg

The strange thing is when I go to properties of the hp 2511 in the playback devices and then click the Supported Formats tab it's listed as the BenQ as indicated in the picture. I tried to remove the monitor on the General tab in the properties as well but it won't remove the monitor, as it shows up as AMD hd audio.

Honestly I think this is an AMD issue. If I go to screen resolution my monitor is listed. But the sound properties it's not. AMD handles my hdmi audio and it's probably their fault.

Then maybe try this: download the latest AMD drivers, disconnect everything but the main monitor, use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove drivers via safe mode, then reinstall drivers and plug in the receiver.

drotahorror

Then maybe try this: download the latest AMD drivers, disconnect everything but the main monitor, use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove drivers via safe mode, then reinstall drivers and plug in the receiver.

Definitely the best thing to do. Worried about removing/reinstalling my AMD drivers. If it's not one thing it's another. Especially their HDMI audio driver which I've had several issues with for the past couple years. Or their control panel erroring everytime I open it. Having to increase core/memory speeds from their defaults to a tad higher to stop audio from cutting out.

Thanks I'll do that when I get fed up enough.

It looks like your drive itself is fine. I was wondering what could be behind HD Tune reporting a lot of red errors. It might be worthwhile to look inside the case and make sure SATA connections are tightened and pushed in all the way. Maybe try a different port, like you said. It may be that connections are loose and it fails to be accessed when it loses connection, but not entirely likely.

You should see if BlueScreenView might shed some light on what the errors mean.

I'll try it out.

HD Tune didn't even reported a lot of red errors. It reported ONLY red errors. But that was while my PC was pretty much crashing. I'll try out BlueScreenView. And I'll try switching the SATA port a bit. I did put in a new graphics card a few weeks ago.

I am getting pretty consistent crashing now when doing Unity.

EDIT:

Usually it is only the kernal one. Two times that extra one.

EDIT 2:

Hmn, it booted pretty fast now that I put it in a different SATA port, will test Unity later on.

EDIT 3:

Still works after a few hours, cool.

Chitown B

posted in the B/S/T thread too:

Chicago area only -

Asus VE278Q 27-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor with Integrated Speakers

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043T34RK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Selling my monitor that I bought and never used. It was for some LANs that never happened and I plugged it in a couple times when working at home, but it's basically new in box. Includes everything, like new.

Asking $200 cash. Let me know if you're interested and we'll work something out to meet up.

First time long time so I apologize upfront for the abrasively naive question but here goes nothing.

Could I fit a sapphire r9 290 tri-x (about 12") into an sentey eagle plus gs-6020? I've received mixed info on VGA clearance from sentry with some claiming 270mm max and other sources insisting 330mm.

On the off chance anyone has any first hand knowledge if this situation I would be forever grateful.

Many, many thanks

Grinchy

Banned
So here I am getting frustrated because of Vista's horrible ability to use wireless network cards (it's a long story). I figure I'll just go ahead and upgrade to Windows 8.1 since I can then upgrade for free to Windows 10 and my wireless problems will be solved.

But why spend ~$100 on a new OS for this old PC I built in 2009? Especially if it's just to solve a simple problem. I don't even want to bother trying to upgrade it with any other parts. I'll just go ahead and visit the PC building thread. I'll check out Haz's builds and I'll put something together in the $500 range. I don't need anything too crazy.

An hour or so later, I just bought $1000 worth of parts. I hate this thread lol. This is the build I ended up with if you were curious. The missing components are things I'll just use from my current PC.

So "thanks" again to this thread for being such an awesomely organized place to "help" people like me!

RGM79

First time long time so I apologize upfront for the abrasively naive question but here goes nothing.

Could I fit a sapphire r9 290 tri-x (about 12") into an sentey eagle plus gs-6020? I've received mixed info on VGA clearance from sentry with some claiming 270mm max and other sources insisting 330mm.

On the off chance anyone has any first hand knowledge if this situation I would be forever grateful.

Many, many thanks

Official website says 270mm... and 340mm, odd. Maybe you get the extra 60-70mm for a total of 330-340mm if the hard drive cages are removable. Or you could break out a ruler or measuring tape.

In any case, the Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X is 305mm long, so you would -have- to remove the drive cages to make it fit if they are removable.

Varg

Banned
So guys quick question for AMD users. I came to a very big problem when I basically rebuilt my pc and moved everything to my new Full tower. My GPU wasn't being recognized and I thought I messed something up. I decided to use a driver uninstaller and uninstalled everything amd related in safe mode with it. I shut off my pc and installed the GPU. I was happy to see the display turn on. I saw that in GPU-Z and device manager that it showed something called Microsoft basic display driver. I read that all I needed to do was update my drivers and it would turn into my video card's name. I went to the AMD website and downloaded the latest drivers. (omega or something along those lines). After downloading them and having the computer restart, it seemed to correct my problem.

Both GPU-Z and device manager now shoe HD7900 series. The bad thing is that my Catalyst Control Center still doesn't give me any GPU options. It says unavailable where its supposed to show my current drivers and it seems like it doesn't find my gpu. I go to the information and hardware tab on the CCC and it says hd7900 series. I feel like im right there in fixing this but im also nervous on fucking my progress up. Any AMD users have any ideas? Also the AMD gaming evolved app usually lets you know about updating your drivers and it shows to me that catalyst driver 14.12 is available. Im pretty sure I just downloaded that from the amd website.

RGM79

So guys quick question for AMD users. I came to a very big problem when I basically rebuilt my pc and moved everything to my new Full tower. My GPU wasn't being recognized and I thought I messed something up. I decided to use a driver uninstaller and uninstalled everything amd related in safe mode with it. I shut off my pc and installed the GPU. I was happy to see the display turn on. I saw that in GPU-Z and device manager that it showed something called Microsoft basic display driver. I read that all I needed to do was update my drivers and it would turn into my video card's name. I went to the AMD website and downloaded the latest drivers. (omega or something along those lines). After downloading them and having the computer restart, it seemed to correct my problem.

Both GPU-Z and device manager now shoe HD7900 series. The bad thing is that my Catalyst Control Center still doesn't give me any GPU options. It says unavailable where its supposed to show my current drivers and it seems like it doesn't find my gpu. I go to the information and hardware tab on the CCC and it says hd7900 series. I feel like im right there in fixing this but im also nervous on fucking my progress up. Any AMD users have any ideas? Also the AMD gaming evolved app usually lets you know about updating your drivers and it shows to me that catalyst driver 14.12 is available. Im pretty sure I just downloaded that from the amd website.

Seems odd that removing and reinstalling drivers would cause it to work again when before it wasn't even detected in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom