• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I play very little in the way of AAA games nowadays, such that a $300+ GPU would be overkill for me IMO. Only games from within the past year I can think of right now I have interest in is Cities again and Witcher 3. I think I'll go with a new batch of 8GB RAM, I should probably buy 2 4GB sticks and completely get rid of my 2 2GB sticks I currently have right? GPU wise I'm looking at this Sapphire R9 280 3GB; I went Nvidia last time because I had heard AMD drivers are pretty bad, is that not true anymore I take it? That 280 + 8GB of top rated RAM on newegg will be right around $250 in total, I'm definitely content with that considering what an upgrade it should be.
280 is the way to go for price/performance and VRAM imo
Well I must have mounted that evo wrong. Was fine for a bit playing TF2 and MGS Ground Zeroes. I then went back to TF2 and the computer hard locked and restarted...

Does that sound like overheating or something else?

I ran prime 95, temps seemed okay for a bit. I did hit 98 degrees c, but it seemed my 4770k auto over locked above 3.9 to 4.4? Or I may have read the 4400 MHz wrong, any suggestions or thoughts?
98C? Remount for sure. You want under 70C load if possible.
I am trying to keep spending down, though I've got ~ $375 in CSGO keys I should probably move at some point... wonder if anyone in the BST thread would take keys as payment o_O

For someone who sticks to 1080p (truthfully 900p ATM, but I don't see myself moving past 1080 anytime soon), would you have any recommendations for AMD cards?

I forsee playing mostly MGSV, honestly if I can hit high/max settings @ 1080/60, that'd do it for me
280 way to go again imo. Totally should be playing 1080 if your monitor is 1080, worth lowering another setting to run native resolution.

elfinke

Hello this thread

My 5 year old GTX460 finally kicked the bucket and died

I need a new GFX card.

PC components are FUCKING expensive where I am, so the highest I can go is a GTX960 (which is $272.8 at the moment of me posting this)

So my question is which of these is better? Is there anything similar I can look at?

R9 285 (2GB)
R9 380 (4GB)
GTX960 (2GB)
GTX960 (4GB)

They are are all $250 - $300

My system:
650W PSU
12GB Corsair XMS3
i5 2300
Gigbyte H77N-D3H

Did you pick something yet? I too am looking at a similar upgrade (though from a 6950 to one of the above.)

A 4gb 960 is $350 locally (ridiculous price), and the 4gb R9 380s about the same (maybe $15 cheaper) so I'm leaning towards the 380.

R9 380 is roughly 10% faster than the 960.

Although if you can manage to find a cheap R9 290 locally (in the US they sometimes go down to ~$240), then that will be the best way you can spend your money right now.

ILoveBish

Is there a good guide for overclocking the i5-6600k? Google fails me. I would like to get it to 4.5ghz, have a evo 212 on it. Right now all i did was set XMP on, and put multiplier to 40. Want to go higher, but want to do it right and follow a guide.

Blackage

Is there a good guide for overclocking the i5-6600k? Google fails me. I would like to get it to 4.5ghz, have a evo 212 on it. Right now all i did was set XMP on, and put multiplier to 40. Want to go higher, but want to do it right and follow a guide.

What motherboard do you have? :O Refine your search for your motherboard model + 6600K, some of the more detailed OC guides take a month or two to come out.

pswii60

Help!

Looking to build a new PC and not sure which option to go for..

Both will cost me almost the same. Should I go Skylake with an i5 6600K or Haswell with an i7 4790K?

I know Skylake will be more future proof and also allows native USB 3.1 connectivity and DDR4 RAM - but the i7 seems to be a more powerful CPU, on paper at least?

[Basic Desktop Questions]
Vnp7oxv.png
  • Your Current Specs: None. Sold my first PC build (3570K, 780 Ti) as part of a moving sale. This will be my second build.
  • Budget: $4000, USA
  • Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming 2, Gaming 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 1, Video Editing 1, Streaming games in HD 1, 3D/Model work (and what program) 1, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 2.
  • Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? 1440p
    Are you going to upgrade later? No.
    Are you buying a new monitor? Yes.
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Guild Wars 2, Cities:Skylines
    Is 30FPS acceptable? No.
    60? Yes.
    120? Yes.
    How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? Not important, but I need the G-sync goodness.
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: Can't.
  • When will you build?: First week of September.
    Do you have a deadline? Would like to complete before the end of second week of September, before I start work.
  • Will you be overclocking?: Yes
This is what I had in mind, with some notes below:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.95 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($93.04 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($160.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung SM951 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($208.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($664.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($143.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor
Other: Windows 8.1 Pro N ($20.00 from softwareswap)
Total: $1706.88 (should be ~$2650+tax with the monitor and case included).
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-17 04:15 EDT-0400

Notes:
--wanted 6700K, but that would likely delay my build.
--I originally chose for my motherboard the Asus Maximus VIII Hero, but the Z170-A seems to have same features that are most important to me (overclocking ability/power phases, Intel LAN).
--if there's a cheaper non-reference 980 Ti, I'll take it.
--regarding storage, I gotta take advantage of the M.2 port. I gots to. I plan on picking up a 1 TB 2.5" SSD during Black Friday.
--chose Seasonic since I spoiled myself with an X-series in my previous build and I can't stop now.

Any thoughts? I am open to other merchants, as well.

Up to you but you might need a DVD for 7 (no USB install?). I like having stuff work without issues and some older compatibility things so I'll run 7 into the ground before I jump to 10.

For most 10 should be fine.

Well considering I've been still going strong with XP up to today and also enjoying it, I'll be happy moving forward a little while with 7 and wait til 10 is out long enough and stable.

Martal

Neo Member
Current specs :

AMD FX 6300
GTX 660
8 gb RAM (dont know speed of the top of my head)
Samsung 840 Evo Ssd

Budget 300€-400€, country Estonia

Basically I want to leave AMD behind and upgrade my mobo and my cpu. I'd keep the gpu and ram for the moment. If there is money left, I'd get a new case and psu. What's a good Intel cpu + mobo to get? I basically want to run the Witcher 3 at 1080p, not necessarily on ultra.

derder

[Basic Desktop Questions]

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.95 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($93.04 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($160.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung SM951 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($208.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($664.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($143.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor
Other: Windows 8.1 Pro N ($20.00 from softwareswap)
Total: $1706.88 (should be ~$2650+tax with the monitor and case included).
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-17 04:15 EDT-0400

Notes:
--wanted 6700K, but that would likely delay my build.
--I originally chose for my motherboard the Asus Maximus VIII Hero, but the Z170-A seems to have same features that are most important to me (overclocking ability/power phases, Intel LAN).
--if there's a cheaper non-reference 980 Ti, I'll take it.
--regarding storage, I gotta take advantage of the M.2 port. I gots to. I plan on picking up a 1 TB 2.5" SSD during Black Friday.
--chose Seasonic since I spoiled myself with an X-series in my previous build and I can't stop now.

Any thoughts? I am open to other merchants, as well.​

It looks good to me. Im curious about the m2 ssd choice - I thought they performed worse?​

Kayant

Try this forum - there is no dedicated thread yet for skylake as it's fairly new but you can follow the general guides for has well/devil's canyon minus things like recommended voltage iirc because skylake can handle higher voltages.
http://www.overclock.net/f/5/intel-cpus

http://overclocking.guide/skylake-overclocking-power-consumption-and-voltage-scaling/

For now your best bet is probably looking at reviews.

Supposly written by Asus - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2VRRbLPrZnMXBnOXRWeVlHcHM/view?pli=1

Found it on reddit. Best way to find guides is your processor generation + over clocking guide.

harz-marz

Currently have a wired 360 controller. Was thinking of getting an Xbox One controller instead. Worth the "upgrade" or should I just keep what I have?

I know the wireless adapter isn't out for a while yet but happy to wait.

kennah

Currently have a wired 360 controller. Was thinking of getting an Xbox One controller instead. Worth the "upgrade" or should I just keep what I have?

I know the wireless adapter isn't out for a while yet but happy to wait.
Wait until the steam controller is released before making your decision

kennah

Hm probably good advice. But is the One better than the 360 if you forget about the Steam controller?
It's all personal preference, but I've never gotten my hands on a One controller. Planning on eventually getting that and a Steam controller to supplement my current collection of a 360 and ds4

Skii

There seems to be a pretty good deal on a 240GB SSD from Amazon for £50 here for you UK gaffers. Do you think my build would benefit from an added SSD or do I not need it? Here's my build for reference.

reKon

Banned
I play very little in the way of AAA games nowadays, such that a $300+ GPU would be overkill for me IMO. Only games from within the past year I can think of right now I have interest in is Cities again and Witcher 3. I think I'll go with a new batch of 8GB RAM, I should probably buy 2 4GB sticks and completely get rid of my 2 2GB sticks I currently have right? GPU wise I'm looking at this Sapphire R9 280 3GB; I went Nvidia last time because I had heard AMD drivers are pretty bad, is that not true anymore I take it? That 280 + 8GB of top rated RAM on newegg will be right around $250 in total, I'm definitely content with that considering what an upgrade it should be.

I own this card and it's ran brilliantly for me. No driver or performance issues so far playing tomb raider 2013, StarCraft II, and BioShock. Also I played some games like Portal 2 down sampled from 1440p to 1080p on my HDTV and it i still maintain FPS well over 150 on all high settings I thibk. Runs very cool in my mini itx case (I do have two additional case fans though).

ILoveBish

Try this forum - there is no dedicated thread yet for skylake as it's fairly new but you can follow the general guides for has well/devil's canyon minus things like recommended voltage iirc because skylake can handle higher voltages.
http://www.overclock.net/f/5/intel-cpus

http://overclocking.guide/skylake-overclocking-power-consumption-and-voltage-scaling/

For now your best bet is probably looking at reviews.

Supposly written by Asus - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2VRRbLPrZnMXBnOXRWeVlHcHM/view?pli=1

Found it on reddit. Best way to find guides is your processor generation + over clocking guide.

Thanks. By this morning, i'd reset the board and turned off all the asus OC stuff, all i did was set XMP on, set the multiplier to 43 and its been great, prime95 testing seems fine. At 45, i get a core failing in Prime95, at 44 i got a BSOD. 43 has been the sweet spot. I took the settings from that supposed asus doc since all i really want is 4.5ghz anyway, but i got the same core error as last time. Not sure whats up. But since its fine at 4.3 i'm pretty content till some time passes and i give it another whirl i guess. Could it be my ram is too slow? DDR4-2400.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So by next Friday if there isn't any word on 6700Ks actually being available in the US imminently I'm going to jump ship and get a 5820K instead as long as Microcenter's deal on it for $300 is still in place by then.

That in mind, what is the best sub $250 X99 MB? I'm mostly looking to OC as much as I reasonably can. USB 3.1 with or without type C would be nice as well, but not a must. Don't see myself ever going beyond SLI, which is even a stretch itself. If I can I'd like to keep the 2x8gb DDR4 3200mhz RAM I already bought, but I can't return that if I must and get cheaper RAM and 4 dimms as well.

Anyone?

I was looking at the ASRock Extreme4 w/ USB 3.1/A-C or the Asus X99-A. Both are on the upper limits of what I'd like to spend, especially the Asus, but if there are cheaper MB that fit my criteria I'm all for it. I just don't want to skimp on quality as I've seen a fair amount of reviews about X99 MBs being DOA or dying rather early. Plus if I'm going for a 5820 I want to try and push the limits on overclocking to get the most out of it for as long as I can.

So I've finally ordered everything for my PC except for the cpu. I can't believe the 6700k is still unavailable for order in the US! BTW Socket LGA 1150 heatsinks will work with Skylake, right? I remember hearing that, but I did a google search to confirm and the search terms were too generic to find anything.

Redx508

So I've finally ordered everything for my PC except for the cpu. I can't believe the 6700k is still unavailable for order in the US! BTW Socket LGA 1150 heatsinks will work with Skylake, right? I remember hearing that, but I did a google search to confirm and the search terms were too generic to find anything.

yea same as 1150/1155

InertiaXr

I own this card and it's ran brilliantly for me. No driver or performance issues so far playing tomb raider 2013, StarCraft II, and BioShock. Also I played some games like Portal 2 down sampled from 1440p to 1080p on my HDTV and it i still maintain FPS well over 150 on all high settings I thibk. Runs very cool in my mini itx case (I do have two additional case fans though).

Excellent, I think I'll go pick up a 280 and some new RAM from Microcenter today then. An XFX 280 3GB card is only $185 in-store, seems like a pretty nice deal. Whats the normal way to change a GPU? I know RAM is more or less plug and play, is it basically the same for GPUs, besides then needing drivers?

I see though that a 280 is apparently 11.5" long? There's no way that'll fit in my case, i have some CoolerMaster case and its only 8" wide without counting the mobo...do I have some sort of super small case ("mid-tower" IIRC is what I have) or is this a giant card or whats up with that? I can't imagine my case being at minimum another 4" wide, thats enormous. There's no real concerns with just having the side off until I get irritated enough with it and buy a new case is there?

Edit: I see a 280 requires 1 8pin and 1 6pin connector to the PSU, and mine only has "2 x 6+2-Pin". Looking at them now it looks like 2 6pin's, but both of them have some sort of addon thing hanging off of them that looks like they could both be 8pin, am I looking at it and reading that correctly?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Edit: I see a 280 requires 1 8pin and 1 6pin connector to the PSU, and mine only has "2 x 6+2-Pin". Looking at them now it looks like 2 6pin's, but both of them have some sort of addon thing hanging off of them that looks like they could both be 8pin, am I looking at it and reading that correctly?

6+2 is 8pin since most GPUs take 6pin but the little addon allows it to be used as 8 if necessary. So you're not screwed if you've got a bunch of 8pin and all of a sudden need a 6pin or two.

Also:

Tempting, very tempting.

paskowitz

Some shots of my finished build:

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7 4790k 4.6Ghz/1.22v - 5.0Ghz/1.33v | MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula | RAM: PNY XLR8 1600Mhz 16GB DDR3 | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified 1500/8000Mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 850W | Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3TB, WD Black 7200rpm 3TB | Cooling: Corsair H100i, Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC 2000 PWM Fan, 2X Fractal Design GP14-BK 140mm Fan | Case: Fractal Design R4 Blackout w/Window | Peripherals: Oculus Rift DK2, Astro A50 Wireless Headphones, Sony DualShock 4, Microsoft Wireless Media Keyboard

Henrar

X99 board users - do your boards start so slow? Mine shows around 17 seconds in boot time (X99 Classified, newest BIOS, fastboot on, OS is on SSD), whereas friends' Z97 boards boot in around 5 seconds. What causes this?

LilJoka

X99 board users - do your boards start so slow? Mine shows around 17 seconds in boot time (X99 Classified, newest BIOS, fastboot on, OS is on SSD), whereas friends' Z97 boards boot in around 5 seconds. What causes this?

My X79 is so slow compared to Z97 too.

Arex

Anyone?

I was looking at the ASRock Extreme4 w/ USB 3.1/A-C or the Asus X99-A. Both are on the upper limits of what I'd like to spend, especially the Asus, but if there are cheaper MB that fit my criteria I'm all for it. I just don't want to skimp on quality as I've seen a fair amount of reviews about X99 MBs being DOA or dying rather early. Plus if I'm going for a 5820 I want to try and push the limits on overclocking to get the most out of it for as long as I can.

That Asus seems to only support up to 64GB ram max compared to the others? Not sure if that matters to you lol

Anyway I got MSI X99A SLI Krait edition for my 5820, and it seems okay so far, but I haven't tried overclocking past 4Ghz yet :)
I was going to get the cheaper MSI X99A SLI Plus but in the end went with the Krait. I guess you can also consider the SLI Plus? Both of them also have multi BIOS

Skii

Okay, I think my stuff from Scan is being delivered tomorrow so I can finally get started on my PC!

Do you guys know if it is worth getting an anti-static wristband or can I get away with touching some metal? I won't be in a carpeted room either whilst building the PC.

Mobo advice....

I have a choice between a few mobos...I'm not exactly bothered about SLI because whenever I upgrade my GPU in a few years (whenever a single card can do 4k 60fps etc) I imagine it'll be different etc so I'm not too fussed. The price between these isn't drastic but anyhoo...

Asus X-99 A
Asus X-99 S
Asus Rampage V Extreme
Gigabyte X-99 M Gaming 5
Gigabyte X-99 5P

Now...as for the other parts it'll be a 5820k OCd (w/Corsair H100i), 16gb of Kingston Hyper X Fury and a MSI 980Ti. Bearing in mind I'm looking for hte 5820k to be OCd what would be the best mobo in that case?

Please don't say the Rampage :p It manages to be about £150 or so more inc VAT to the overall price....I can't imagine the other Asus X99 S etc wouldn't do a good job but,...this thread has been super helpful the last few days so figured I'd ask.

Durante

Anyone?

I use an ASRock Extreme4 with my 5820k, though the initial version without USB3.1. I'm happy with it.

Well I finally did it. I ordered all of my components for my mini ITX build (which will be the first PC I've ever build). Split the order up between Newegg, Amazon, and MicroCenter. Had an $800 budget and through student coupons and a few price drops I was able to get everything for $709 and then $40 in mail rebates on top of that. Should have everything Wednesday and then I get to start building.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I use an ASRock Extreme4 with my 5820k, though the initial version without USB3.1. I'm happy with it.

Difference in base price between the two versions is only like 15 bucks, though the non-USB3.1 has a $30 rebate available right now, but also doesn't show it can support 3200mhz RAM, so I'd definitely have to return the RAM I bought.

How far were you able to OC your 5820?

So my GPU fan has been going a bit crazy and which made me want to check if there was anything wrong with it. Diagnostics showed up nothing. When I took out the GPU I could hear something inside and after moving it side to side a little something came out.
I have an Alienware x51 that came with nvidia gtx 660....

Does this look important?
If I were to replace it, which GPU would I get.

http://s13.postimg.org/xmz2eb1k7/unnamed_1.jpg

http://s7.postimg.org/iklqkb6rv/unnamed_2.jpg

LilJoka

Okay, I think my stuff from Scan is being delivered tomorrow so I can finally get started on my PC!

Do you guys know if it is worth getting an anti-static wristband or can I get away with touching some metal? I won't be in a carpeted room either whilst building the PC.

The best way is this.

Unpack the Case, get the plastic and foam out the way. This stuff harvests static.
Now touch a radiator, that will ground you, and youll probably get a static shock - that means your discharged.
Safe to do what you like now, i periodically touch the radiator again after doing some things.

Flandy

My PC doesn't seem to like going into sleep mode. After like 30 seconds of sleep mode it'll turn back on by itself without me touching anything. This happened to me on Windows 8.1 and now 10. Anyone know what could be up??

LordAlu

Just touch a grounded metal object every so often. A radiator would be perfect.

NH Apache

Banned
My PC straight up shut off last week.

Pressing power did nothing, no fans on or anything. I ordered a new power supply. It came in, I hooked it up and pressed power. I head an electronic sizzle and it powered down.

Which basically means motherboard (or possibly graphics card). I am able to power fans by running a paperclip on the green wire to ground on the 24 pin motherboard connector so the power supply is still good.

I have a 2600k and basic searches for a LGA 1155 motherboard shows the options are thin. I had a MSI z68a-G43. Anyone have any suggestions for a new motherboard with 1155 socket?

I'm probably going to search out another graphics card as well to replace the ATI 6870 I have, in case that is shorted as well.

Vuze

Some shots of my finished build:

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7 4790k 4.6Ghz/1.22v - 5.0Ghz/1.33v | MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula | RAM: PNY XLR8 1600Mhz 16GB DDR3 | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified 1500/8000Mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 850W | Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3TB, WD Black 7200rpm 3TB | Cooling: Corsair H100i, Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC 2000 PWM Fan, 2X Fractal Design GP14-BK 140mm Fan | Case: Fractal Design R4 Blackout w/Window | Peripherals: Oculus Rift DK2, Astro A50 Wireless Headphones, Sony DualShock 4, Microsoft Wireless Media Keyboard
Nice build and great shots! Thanks for sharing :)

BPoole

Current build:

i5 2500k at 4.2ghz
Asus P8P67 Motherboard
MSI R9 290
8GB DDR3 2133Mhz
1440p

Option #1:

i5 6600k
New motherboard ($150-200 range)
MSI R9 290
8GB DDR4

Option #2:

i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 Motherboard
R9 390X/R9 Fury/980ti/980
8GB DDR3 2133Mhz

I pretty much only use my PC for gaming, so give advice based on that.

harz-marz

I have done an EZ overclock on my Asus Z170-A and i5 6600K. It's showing as 4.2 now on CPU-Z but showing as stock speed in the bios. Is 4.2 accurate?

I was previously advised that a manual overclock was the better option but I've never done this and I would be happy with 4.2 for now.

Durante

Difference in base price between the two versions is only like 15 bucks, though the non-USB3.1 has a $30 rebate available right now, but also doesn't show it can support 3200mhz RAM, so I'd definitely have to return the RAM I bought.
I'd certainly buy the 3.1 today -- when I built my system (in the first week of Haswell-E availability, basically) it didn't exist.

How far were you able to OC your 5820?
I honestly haven't tried. I put it at 4GHz, saw that it was stable and not too hot in full-load small FFT prime95 and haven't looked at it since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom