• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-wood

Neither of them would really be bottlenecks. Your i7 2600K is still a great processor, especially if overclocked. Also, 8GB of RAM won't stop you from attaining 60FPS in most if not all games, maybe except for Batman Arkham Knight. That game on PC is a unoptimized buggy piece of shit that they recommend having 12GB of RAM for just so it won't stutter as much.

What case do you have right now? You listed the Corsair 750D a short while ago in your parts list, but I think you have a different case at the moment? The Define R5 is a very nice case, just about every professional review you can find online is glowing with praise. Airflow is pretty good, it'll take 140mm fans in just about every mounting spot and doesn't suffer for high temperatures or poor ventilation despite being fitted for noise-suppressing foam all over.

Right now I have an Antec 1200v3. It's a nice case, just loud.

I'm going to get a christmas bonus at work this year, so that's why I was thinking of future proofing now while I have the money, but if it's not worth it, maybe I won't. I built this guy in 2011. Just Cause 3 is making me think a CPU upgrade would be worthwhile...

I'm going to get a christmas bonus at work this year, so that's why I was thinking of future proofing now while I have the money, but if it's not worth it, maybe I won't. I built this guy in 2011. Just Cause 3 is making me think a CPU upgrade would be worthwhile...

Why (to the bolded)? If you really want more performance then a 980 Ti is the way to go. And OC that CPU.

RGM79

I'm going to get a christmas bonus at work this year, so that's why I was thinking of future proofing now while I have the money, but if it's not worth it, maybe I won't. I built this guy in 2011.

Ah, I didn't noticed you already replied. I updated my earlier post with some benchmarking results for your i7 2600K compared to the i7 6700K. If you do want a quieter case, then the Fractal case is a good bet, just know that soundproofing foam won't make components too quiet if they are really loud to begin with, but it does help somewhat. Most GTX 970 cards are quiet as long as they don't have blower type coolers, but you didn't say what CPU cooler you had.

DDR3 RAM is cheap, so if you have the money to spare, it's not like you shouldn't get 16GB.

j-wood

Ah, I didn't noticed you already replied. I updated my earlier post with some benchmarking results for your i7 2600K compared to the i7 6700K. If you do want a quieter case, then the Fractal case is a good bet, just know that soundproofing foam won't make components too quiet if they are really loud to begin with, but it does help somewhat. Most GTX 970 cards are quiet as long as they don't have blower type coolers, but you didn't say what CPU cooler you had.

DDR3 RAM is cheap, so if you have the money to spare, it's not like you shouldn't get 16GB.

My CPU cooler is the stock intel one. My 970 is the EVGA ACX2.0 version, so it's pretty quiet.

Maybe I just upgrade to 16GB, get a CPU cooler. Just Cause 3 is going to be CPU intensive with all the chaos stuff, so that's why I was thinking a CPU upgrade wouldn't hurt.

Justin85

Could use some help. Building my first gaming pc. Playing on my TV so looking for something that will get me 1080p/60fps on most games for the next couple of years. Here's the build I came up...
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($299.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($58.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 Wireless Slim Keyboard
Total: $922.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-29 23:34 EST-0500

Okay, so I'm pretty set on the 970 and I already bought the harddrive from a Black Friday sale but some questions...

- I see a lot of different configurations for the 970. Are there any noticeable differences?
- I chose the case because I want something small-ish for the living room that looks okay, but anyone have experience with the case? Want something that looks good but is also easy to work with.
- No idea about the power supply. Will that do everything I need it to do without breaking down?
- Will the CPU get the job done for a while? Will it end up bottlenecking be at some point?
- With all that being said, anywhere to cut cost without affecting performance too much? Would love to bring down the price point if I could.

And any other opinions on the overall build would be great to hear. Thanks!

RGM79

Could use some help. Building my first gaming pc. Playing on my TV so looking for something that will get me 1080p/60fps on most games for the next couple of years. Here's the build I came up...

Okay, so I'm pretty set on the 970 and I already bought the harddrive from a Black Friday sale but some questions...

- I see a lot of different configurations for the 970. Are there any noticeable differences?
- I chose the case because I want something small-ish for the living room that looks okay, but anyone have experience with the case? Want something that looks good but is also easy to work with.
- No idea about the power supply. Will that do everything I need it to do without breaking down?
- Will the CPU get the job done for a while? Will it end up bottlenecking be at some point?
- With all that being said, anywhere to cut cost without affecting performance too much? Would love to bring down the price point if I could.

And any other opinions on the overall build would be great to hear. Thanks!
  • See here for what the differences between different graphics cards of the same model are.
  • Sorry, I don't personally have experience with that case, but maybe we could recommend you something else. What would "look good" to you? Subdued design? Gamer aesthetic? Industrial look?
  • It will, but there are other power supplies that are better for the same price. If you're asking if it has enough wattage, yes. If you're asking if it will break down when stressed too hard.. that's not something that always happens. Most power supplies have a automatic safety shut off if they're stressed too far beyond their comfortable range of temperature and/or wattage.
  • Yes, the i5 processor will meet your needs for a few years. Hard to say when it'll start to be a bottleneck as we can't predict how future PC games will be coded and optimized, but it should not become obsolete too soon (at least 2~3 years).
  • Yeah, I'll come up with an alternative parts list for you below.
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($299.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($23.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $888.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-30 00:01 EST-0500

This parts list compared to yours has a slightly faster processor, a cheaper but still adequate motherboard, same amount of RAM, and a cheaper but still decent quality power supply. The i5 4590 is maybe 5~10% faster than the i5 4460 you were looking at thanks to the higher clock speed. The H97 motherboard is admittedly a bit nicer than the H81 motherboard I picked, but performance-wise there's little difference between the two. The main difference is just the number of ports and what support it has for certain technologies, see here for a comparison chart of the main differences. I recommend 1x8GB instead of 2x4GB in this case because the motherboard only has two RAM slots and getting a single stick of 8GB will leave an unused RAM slot that you can put more RAM into in the future. The EVGA 600B power supply doesn't have modular cables like the CX600M PSU you were looking at, but it does offer similar performance and wattage at a much lower cost after rebate.

1.299V on a 5820k. That's as far up as I can go on my BIOS without it going red. x43 multiplier. I could probably raise it but why bother? I am clocking ram at 19200 ram at 3200 too. lol

Cool. I was just curious because I've largely got the same setup. Can't remember what my voltage is but it's in the 1.2--- range. Ram isn't 3200 but I seem to be having problems with the ram that will require the PC being sent back but oh well. Thought maybe I was grossly over the safe zone or something.

IceIpor

Hey bud, I was wondering if the list you provided was still up-to-date. If not, could you recommend me any changes?
Hmm, I've slightly updated it due to changing sales and slightly newer storage technology.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($359.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX200 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($132.99 @ SuperBiiz) <- Change or increase this as necessary to your tastes.
Storage: Crucial MX200 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($174.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card ($639.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($97.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($124.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1862.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-30 02:47 EST-0500

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Uriah

Sorry if this is a tiny bit off topic, but does anybody have any recommendations for a 1080p G-Sync monitor? I'm not quite ready to make the jump to 1440p.

Justin85

• See here for what the differences between different graphics cards of the same model are.
  • Sorry, I don't personally have experience with that case, but maybe we could recommend you something else. What would "look good" to you? Subdued design? Gamer aesthetic? Industrial look?
  • It will, but there are other power supplies that are better for the same price. If you're asking if it has enough wattage, yes. If you're asking if it will break down when stressed too hard.. that's not something that always happens. Most power supplies have a automatic safety shut off if they're stressed too far beyond their comfortable range of temperature and/or wattage.
  • Yes, the i5 processor will meet your needs for a few years. Hard to say when it'll start to be a bottleneck as we can't predict how future PC games will be coded and optimized, but it should not become obsolete too soon (at least 2~3 years).
  • Yeah, I'll come up with an alternative parts list for you below.
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($41.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($23.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $888.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-30 00:01 EST-0500

This parts list compared to yours has a slightly faster processor, a cheaper but still adequate motherboard, same amount of RAM, and a cheaper but still decent quality power supply. The i5 4590 is maybe 5~10% faster than the i5 4460 you were looking at thanks to the higher clock speed. The H97 motherboard is admittedly a bit nicer than the H81 motherboard I picked, but performance-wise there's little difference between the two. The main difference is just the number of ports and what support it has for certain technologies, see here for a comparison chart of the main differences. I recommend 1x8GB instead of 2x4GB in this case because the motherboard only has two RAM slots and getting a single stick of 8GB will leave an unused RAM slot that you can put more RAM into in the future. The EVGA 600B power supply doesn't have modular cables like the CX600M PSU you were looking at, but it does offer similar performance and wattage at a much lower cost after rebate.

Awesome. Really appreciate the advice. As for the case, looking for something small and understated that will better blend in with my other boxes below the TV (PS3/4, Apple TV).

Question on 2 sticks of RAM vs 1. I've heard that you get a significant boost if 2 sticks are running in dual channel mode. Is that true?

Okay, I've bought everything except the processor and motherboard now. This is it guys! A 6600k or a 4790k? A new i5 processor or a more powerful but older i7 processor? They're both costing me around the same so have to decide now. Ahhhh it's killing me... :(

Okay, I've bought everything except the processor and motherboard now. This is it guys! A 6600k or a 4790k? A new i5 processor or a more powerful but older i7 processor? They're both costing me around the same so have to decide now. Ahhhh it's killing me... :(
I assume you haven't bought the ram yet either, right?

Old GPU is completely wedged in the PCI slot. Any help GAF? I've removed the tension clip and it's not fastened at the back (I have clips instead of screws there too) but the damn thing will not budge. It's solid as a rock in there.

j-wood

Isn't this one of the best SSDs?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OAJ412U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I only have a 120GB intel SSD at the moment...should I pounce? Actually, I see the Crucial BX100 is on sale too, a 500GB for only 129....

Will the Fractal R5 mid tower case be able to fit a 970 and the cooler master 212 cpu cool without an issue?

Also, can someone break down SATA ports for me? I'm not understanding what SATA Express and M.2 ports are.

Would this build be worth $450?

Processor: Intel i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz ("K" series supports overclock)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
RAM: 16GB G-Skill Sniper RAM
Solid State Drive: 240GB
Hard Drive: 500MB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 460
Audio: Creative Fatal1ty with front extension unit.
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray/DVD-RW
Power Supply: Antec 850 Watts!
Case: Generic with tons of room
Case Fans: 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm

RGM79

Awesome. Really appreciate the advice. As for the case, looking for something small and understated that will better blend in with my other boxes below the TV (PS3/4, Apple TV).

Question on 2 sticks of RAM vs 1. I've heard that you get a significant boost if 2 sticks are running in dual channel mode. Is that true?

While it is technically faster to have dual channel instead of single channel, it doesn't matter for most games according to Gamersnexus and this Reddit thread. Now, I wouldn't say that applies to every game.. Fallout 4 is the only recent example that seems to be much more dependent on system RAM speed but they only tested speed and not single/dual channel mode. Generally speaking I'd still feel safe recommending single channel for the room to upgrade in the future. Adding a second stick gives you dual channel anyway.

Are there any good deals on SSDs going on?

Crucial BX100 500GB is $130 from a regular of $150, and the Crucial MX200 1TB is $264 from a regular of ~$300. I usually recommend Crucial if possible, they're pretty great.

The Sandisk Ultra II 1TB is still available for $200. Not quite as good as the ones listed above, but it's hard to beat the price for the storage.

Would this build be worth $450?

Processor: Intel i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz ("K" series supports overclock)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
RAM: 16GB G-Skill Sniper RAM
Solid State Drive: 240GB
Hard Drive: 500MB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 460
Audio: Creative Fatal1ty with front extension unit.
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray/DVD-RW
Power Supply: Antec 850 Watts!
Case: Generic with tons of room
Case Fans: 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm

Kinda iffy, but it's hard to build a new PC to match that performance. If overclocked, the processor will still kick a lot of ass and can handle games at 60FPS, although the GTX 460 is old and needs to be replaced if you want to play more modern games.

Kinda iffy, but it's hard to build a new PC to match that performance. If overclocked, the processor will still kick a lot of ass and can handle games at 60FPS, although the GTX 460 is old and needs to be replaced if you want to play more modern games.

Thanks!

RGM79

Isn't this one of the best SSDs?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OAJ412U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I only have a 120GB intel SSD at the moment...should I pounce? Actually, I see the Crucial BX100 is on sale too, a 500GB for only 129....

Will the Fractal R5 mid tower case be able to fit a 970 and the cooler master 212 cpu cool without an issue?

Also, can someone break down SATA ports for me? I'm not understanding what SATA Express and M.2 ports are.
This guide should answer most of your questions about SATA, SATA Express, and M.2.

The 850 Evo is pretty good, but not the absolute best. There's still Samsung's 950 series and their 850/950 Pro models. The price of $78 is normal, nothing really special about that. For comparison the Crucial MX200 250GB is $72.

Old GPU is completely wedged in the PCI slot. Any help GAF? I've removed the tension clip and it's not fastened at the back (I have clips instead of screws there too) but the damn thing will not budge. It's solid as a rock in there.

Lift it up out of the case at an angle from the back (where the ports are), I'm hoping the PCI-E hook isn't stuck on the port.

I am looking for something small and portable, I am going to get an SSD for it and this laptop has an extra slot.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232769

Does this seem like a good buy?

The link's broken, it keeps sending me to a promotional page that does nothing, but it's not your fault. Anyone else experiencing the same thing with Newegg links?

j-wood

This guide should answer most of your questions about SATA, SATA Express, and M.2.

The 850 Evo is pretty good, but not the absolute best. There's still Samsung's 950 series and their 850/950 Pro models. The price of $78 is normal, nothing really special about that. For comparison the Crucial MX200 250GB is $72.

Lift it up out of the case at an angle from the back (where the ports are), I'm hoping the PCI-E hook isn't stuck on the port.

The link's broken, it keeps sending me to a promotional page that does nothing, but it's not your fault. Anyone else experiencing the same thing with Newegg links?

Oh nice! I had no idea sata express was newer/better than sata 3. So if I get a new mobo, i'll ideally put my ssd on the sata express, and my 1tb raid HDDs on the sata 3s. Or wait...do they even make SSDs that will use Sata express yet? I can't find any.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Not sure if there's a better thread for this but here goes:

My ssd (just got os on it) is dying - I've had two crashes that necessitated repairing/reinstalling Windows over the past six months, and now Windows keeps telling me I need to replace it asap blah blah blah, so I got a new ssd over black Friday but now I'm wondering if I can clone my old ssd and save myself the trouble of having to reinstall os + not losing registry or if that would pick up whatever happened to my old drive and ruin my new drive with it?

Weird, its an ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71 for 940 no tax. I ended up buying it, also got a Samsung Pro 512 SSD from Jet for 160 + tax to put into it.

So...for my "new" PC i don't have to send the whole unit back for repairs. I ran Memtesk, got about 4900 errors, somehow, and Overclockers just want the ram sticks back, then they'll send out replacements. If I had more money than sense I'd just buy some seperately on amazon and get it delivered tomorrow....but I don't :p

RGM79

Oh nice! I had no idea sata express was newer/better than sata 3. So if I get a new mobo, i'll ideally put my ssd on the sata express, and my 1tb raid HDDs on the sata 3s

I should mention that SATA Express is dead. Motherboards have it, but no one really made any SSDs that support that plug. When M.2 came out, everyone jumped to that instead since it was already being used, even faster, and less clunky (doesn't take up two whole ports plus a little more). The only reason manufacturers still include it on higher end motherboards is more just so they can and advertise about having it included. Better to be able to brag about it than not have it, I guess. Probably doesn't cost them too much to include the extra connections and plastic. There are other uses for it, though.

Not sure if there's a better thread for this but here goes:

My ssd (just got os on it) is dying - I've had two crashes that necessitated repairing/reinstalling Windows over the past six months, and now Windows keeps telling me I need to replace it asap blah blah blah, so I got a new ssd over black Friday but now I'm wondering if I can clone my old ssd and save myself the trouble of having to reinstall os + not losing registry or if that would pick up whatever happened to my old drive and ruin my new drive with it?

Assuming you don't have problems reading from that SSD, then give this guide a try, cloning is fairly easy and hassle-free.

I assume you haven't bought the ram yet either, right?

Duh, I'm such an idiot. Yes, I did buy the RAM and yes it is DDR4. Guess that answers my own question haha. Oh well, my 6600k will hopefully serve me well for a few years. Right?! :( Ugh, I can just imagine the meltdown I'll have when games continue to perform much better on the i7s...

Duh, I'm such an idiot. Yes, I did buy the RAM and yes it is DDR4. Guess that answers my own question haha. Oh well, my 6600k will hopefully serve me well for a few years. Right?! :( Ugh, I can just imagine the meltdown I'll have when games continue to perform much better on the i7s...

Honestly both will give you great performance. Going with Z170 means that you can reuse your ram in the future, and you'll get some nice new things (all those PCIe lanes and whatnot). The 4790K might be a little bit faster but it's not like you're going to be starved for performance, and there are those other ^ things to think about.

If I were you I would look at some benchmarks and compare them both... and then remember that the 4790K has a higher stock clock speed -- you can easily OC the 6600K to the same speeds or higher.

It's at the point where you're going to be mostly limited by your video card anyway.

fake edit: and you can probably return the RAM if you wanted.

Does anyone have any tips for ram clips that refuse to open? Bottom set of clips are sturdy as a rock, top clips open quite easily. They are relatively close to the gpu but not so bad i cant get purchase. Might be easier to remove gpu via unscrewing its bracket and then have a go?

Edit: its a Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case. Can only see two screws for the GPU bracket and it still wont release. Opened other side of case panel and its the cable tidy and backside of the mobo. Dont say i have to remove the mobo...

RGM79

Does anyone have any tips for ram clips that refuse to open? Bottom set of clips are sturdy as a rock, top clips open quite easily. They are relatively close to the gpu but not so bad i cant get purchase. Might be easier to remove gpu via unscrewing its bracket and then have a go?

Edit: its a Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case. Can only see two screws for the GPU bracket and it still wont release. Opened other side of case panel and its the cable tidy and backside of the mobo. Dont say i have to remove the mobo...

Have you checked the locking hook for the PCI-E slot?

Spyware

I'm tinkering with a build for my little brother and this is what I have at the moment:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (+ one extra front fan)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Edison M 750W

+ some random cheap Samsung optical disc drive.
He already has all the storage he needs and a great sound card.

I'm sadly quite restricted when it comes to parts since it has to be from a specific store here in Sweden and they have to build it for him too. I would gladly do it myself but since my brother lives at the other end of the country it isn't really possible. He isn't confident he can do it himself.
So. In light of this, would this be a good build? I use almost the same one myself since this summer (with a 980), but they don't sell my mobo (Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H) anymore so that's where most of my concern lies. I feel pretty confident in my knowledge about everything but mobos. Of course that has to be the part I have to change, gah!
I really want this to be a good christmas gift :(

LilJoka

I'm tinkering with a build for my little brother and this is what I have at the moment:

I'm sadly quite restricted when it comes to parts since it has to be from a specific store here in Sweden and they have to build it for him too. I would gladly do it myself but since my brother lives at the other end of the country it isn't really possible. He isn't confident he can do it himself.
So. In light of this, would this be a good build? I use almost the same one myself since this summer (with a 980), but they don't sell my mobo (Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H) anymore so that's where most of my concern lies. I feel pretty confident in my knowledge about everything but mobos. Of course that has to be the part I have to change, gah!

Link to shop? Hard to advise when we cant see the options available.

RGM79

What's your budget?

RGM79

I have not. Not even sure where it is on the mobo tbh.

It's on the end of the PCI-E slot. Press down on the hinged locking mechanism circled in red.
AKNXty6.jpg

gamma

Managed to grab a Zotac 970 for relatively cheap today. What's the opinion on that card? Quiet/loud? How's the cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom