• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanley1993

Neo Member
It's a really basic PC, doesn't have a graphics card. It's definitely low priced, I can't put together a custom PC parts list to beat that for $400. What will you be using the PC for?

No, you can only use your Windows 7 license and upgrade to Windows 10 on one PC only. You can transfer the Windows 7 license around, but you can't be running multiple copies of Windows 7 with only one license.
I preferably want an SSD and actually made a pc using the pcpartspicker website but it turned out to be only around 30$ lower (120GB SSD and no HDD). And I'm probably going to have to buy windows from the looks of it if I do a custom build. I will use it for a small business. Using custom business apps, Microsoft office, and internet, all simultaneously. I want no slowdown. I might as well buy this if nothing better is available. Do you know if I can install an SSD into this thing in a later date?

ampere

Funny that I'm probably going to have to buy a PS/2 keyboard and mouse for my Windows 7 installation. Feels like a waste of $15 but I guess it's cheaper than buying a new standalone windows license

Would this build be worth $450?

Processor: Intel i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz ("K" series supports overclock)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
RAM: 16GB G-Skill Sniper RAM
Solid State Drive: 240GB
Hard Drive: 500MB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 460
Audio: Creative Fatal1ty with front extension unit.
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray/DVD-RW
Power Supply: Antec 850 Watts!
Case: Generic with tons of room
Case Fans: 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm

Kinda iffy, but it's hard to build a new PC to match that performance. If overclocked, the processor will still kick a lot of ass and can handle games at 60FPS, although the GTX 460 is old and needs to be replaced if you want to play more modern games.

Are there any suggestions on what a fair price for this rig would be?

Kalentan

Hey guys, I'm not sure this is the right place to ask...

But I installed 2 new 4gb RAM to my CPU (which has 6 slots and supports up to 24gb of RAM) and when I go to dxdiag, it says the computer only has 8192MB of RAM.

Yet..! CPU-Z (which I was suggested to use), says 16 GB of RAM and detects the 2 newly installed RAM. Why is this?

Jharp

How easy is it to transfer an install of Windows 10? If I build a new PC, I'll most likely kick my current pc to a buddy of mine who could make great use for it, but I don't want to give up my access to Windows 10, and certainly don't want to buy it. Would it be easy enough to format this PC, install Windows 7 for him, and transfer 10 over to my new machine?

Wag

Have you tried:
1) Testing the cards separately? 2 only at a time?
2) Different monitor cables?
3) Different SLI cables

I can't try new SLI cables because I only have one 3 way SLI bridge. I don't think it's that tho- when I was running 2 cards I didn't have this problem (although I was running on the Antec 1300w PS with the 2 980Tis).

I just ordered a new HDMI 4k cable, so hopefully that will solve it. I just downclocked everything and am running at stock for a while and will see what happens. I'm still wondering if the EVGA 1300 can't handle my 980Ti 3-way setup + 5820k o/c (with voltage boosted).

If that doesn't work I will start removing 980Tis.

Aw snap, CL pulls through. Gonna go pickup an MSI r9 390 tomorrow morning. $15 more than I wanted to spend, but I guess I can make that up at work.

Gonna try and squeeze it into my case... probably need to break out the hacksaw to some of these hard drive trays while I wait for a decent deal on a new case :p

Then to save you some time, I recommend either of these three models: Gigabyte Windforce, Asus Strix, or MSI Gaming 4G. They all have the feature of zero speed fan modes at low temperatures. The links go to price trackers that will tell you how much they cost after rebate or coupon or both. Check out some reviews and and figure out which one would be the least troublesome to order, and there you go.

Looked at those and a few other models (EVGA's offering seemed nice but it was sold out anywhere I could find a decent price and a reasonable ship date). Went with the Gigabyte model; $180 after rebate with free shipping. I can sell the code pack that comes with it for $5 and my 750 Ti for about $80. Should walk away from this spending only about $100 total.

Thanks for all your help!

Wag

Screen blanking is still happening at stock speeds. 😢 I'm beginning to suspect it's PCI-E slot 3 on my motherboard. Sometimes I can't get my 980Ti to show up in there on the first try and I have to keep reinserting it until it shows up. My motherboard is probably bad. I've rebuilt this thing multiple times now. I'm beginning to get real pissed...

I don't know if I can run just PCI-E slots 2 and 3 on a 5820k setup. If so I'll try it and see what happens.

Lift it up out of the case at an angle from the back (where the ports are), I'm hoping the PCI-E hook isn't stuck on the port.

Thanks for the help but luckily turned out to be a very odd but easy fix. The two sealed and unused back panels were somehow locking it in place. Took the one above and below out and it slid out easy.

Well, ill fill out the thing in OP. But what I really would like from this is options for a cool, quiet, highly energy efficient PC (low power draw) and stable FPS. Not looking to max anything out or even necessarily play on high resolutions.

Budget: Prefer under $600
Main Use: Games, watching stuff online, highest emulation would be ps2.
Monitor Resolution: I can go to 1920x1080, but honestly i prefer 1024x768 as its easier to see for me.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Like, MMOs. Black Desert, Blade and Soul. Things that can have a lot on screen at once. I figure at that threshold i can play anything. Dont care about full HD at 120FPS. Just stable and decent.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Only my HDD, OS and peripherals.
When will you build?: Whenever
Will you be overclocking?: No, i dont like overworking my machines.

BIGWORM

Guys and gals, what's a good case to upgrade to from a NZXT Phantom 410? Looking for a full tower and one that fits a H100i with no problems. I have 4 hard drives for storage (SSD, 3x1tb WDs). My budget is no more than 125. Any suggestions would be great.

Josh5890

I have a somewhat generic question to ask about graphics cards. What is the price range that I should be looking to spend on a graphics card? I look at the prices and I see stuff in the $200, $300 and the $600 range.

My general philosophy with most of the stuff I buy is purchase new and use until it is obsolete. My Radeon HD 6970 is getting close to that. Basically if I purchase something around the range of an AMD R290x for $325 will that last me for a good four years or so?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLMKQY2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If not how much should I realistically look to spend in order to get a good 4-5 years? Also since Pascal is coming out next year should I wait for that to release so that the other graphics cards will drop in price? Thanks!

Edit: Here are my specs if interested.

My Specs: ASUS M4A785TD-V | AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 | AMD Radeon 6970 | 16 GB DDR3 RAM | 630 W PSU | Win 7 64 bit | 500 GB HDD + 2 TB HDD

RayStorm

As I understood it, you can't install Windows 7 via USB on a Skylake mobo, so that was my concern.

If I can do the upgrade on my old PC and get my Windows 7 license turned into a Windows 10 one, then I think I can migrate that license to my new machine. So it seems like it should work

You can, however, install Windows 10 on your new PC directly from USB without first installing Windows 7. As of two (or so) weeks ago, you can just enter your Windows 7 key during the Windows 10 installation.

RGM79

Oh, interesting. "Webblager: [yellow dot] Ej i lager" means it's out of stock tho (with no info on if/when it will be in). Gotta look for the green dots or the yellow ones that have a date that shows when they get them in again.
I'm thinking I'll just give him 10k and let him pay for the rest himself. He currently thinks that he'll have to buy it himself and is willing to spend a bunch on it anyway. Not 10k but with both of us paying for it the budget would still be quite a bit higher. Mom thought it was a good idea and she's pretty much in charge of his money still ;D
If I don't have to change anything due to the cost, is there anything in the (below linked) original build I should change for quality/performance/cost vs. performance/whatever reasons?

Here's a link to the complete first build. He has either one or two big HDDs and an SSD for some special games and Windows. Can't ask him atm. I gave him a sound card last year but really can't remember which one it was and he never got around to installing it. Bah. The memory card reader is news to me so I have no idea what it might be.

He's spending pretty much all his at home time on the computer. Either watching movies, talking to friends or playing. Mostly everything at the same time. At the moment he plays a bunch of MMOs (with GW2 as his main one), AC: Syndicate and Fallout 4.
If the budget is going up, then perhaps consider getting a Skylake processor and motherboard instead. If he's truly adamant about getting an i7 processor, consider getting the i7 6700 (non-K) model since he only seems to care about the i7 badge and isn't tech-savvy enough to be doing any overclocking. A Skylake socket 1151 motherboard comes with support for newer technology like USB 3.1 which may become more useful in the future.

The Edison M should be a very good power supply seeing as it's manufactured by Seasonic, but I'd recommend the EVGA GQ, it's also high quality. The 750 watt model is 990 SEK compared to the Edison's 1190 SEK and Jonny Guru's review of the 850 watt model found it to be an excellent power supply.

If he won't be using the DVD drive all that much, consider dropping it from the parts list. Not needing a DVD drive also means you could choose the Fractal Define S for 819 SEK instead, which is largely similar to the Define R5 but lacks optical drive bays and has fewer hard drive bays, but is nearly the same in terms of overall quality and soundproofing and should have slightly better airflow.

I preferably want an SSD and actually made a pc using the pcpartspicker website but it turned out to be only around 30$ lower (120GB SSD and no HDD). And I'm probably going to have to buy windows from the looks of it if I do a custom build. I will use it for a small business. Using custom business apps, Microsoft office, and internet, all simultaneously. I want no slowdown. I might as well buy this if nothing better is available. Do you know if I can install an SSD into this thing in a later date?

Yes, it should handle your work needs just fine. No slowdown is a hard thing to guarantee, that's dependent on several things like what you're doing with the PC and how well you take care of it (not installing all kinds of crapware, etc). An analogy would be that no car company would ever guarantee a car to never break down, especially if the owner treats it like crap and drives it aggressively hard.

Yes, you should be able to install a SSD into that PC, you will likely have to buy a SATA cable for the SSD, though.

Are there any suggestions on what a fair price for this rig would be?

It'd depend on other factors like what condition it's in, right? Anywhere around $300~500, depending on how it looks and what it runs like, or if some of the parts still have manufacturer's warranty coverage. Sorry for the unhelpful answer, but it's not always clear. Perhaps you can check craigslist or ebay for similar computers and price it accordingly.

How easy is it to transfer an install of Windows 10? If I build a new PC, I'll most likely kick my current pc to a buddy of mine who could make great use for it, but I don't want to give up my access to Windows 10, and certainly don't want to buy it. Would it be easy enough to format this PC, install Windows 7 for him, and transfer 10 over to my new machine?

Is your current license of Windows 10 a result of upgrading from a copy of 7/8/8.1? If yes, is the Windows 7 license you're installing for your friend a whole new license or the one you upgraded from?

RGM79

Putting this in a second post because it's getting too long.
Well, ill fill out the thing in OP. But what I really would like from this is options for a cool, quiet, highly energy efficient PC (low power draw) and stable FPS. Not looking to max anything out or even necessarily play on high resolutions.

Budget: Prefer under $600
Main Use: Games, watching stuff online, highest emulation would be ps2.
Monitor Resolution: I can go to 1920x1080, but honestly i prefer 1024x768 as its easier to see for me.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Like, MMOs. Black Desert, Blade and Soul. Things that can have a lot on screen at once. I figure at that threshold i can play anything. Dont care about full HD at 120FPS. Just stable and decent.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Only my HDD, OS and peripherals.
When will you build?: Whenever
Will you be overclocking?: No, i dont like overworking my machines.

This build is tailored around having fairly quiet components:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($52.90 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $582.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-01 02:27 EST-0500

I have a somewhat generic question to ask about graphics cards. What is the price range that I should be looking to spend on a graphics card? I look at the prices and I see stuff in the $200, $300 and the $600 range.

My general philosophy with most of the stuff I buy is purchase new and use until it is obsolete. My Radeon HD 6970 is getting close to that. Basically if I purchase something around the range of an AMD R290x for $325 will that last me for a good four years or so?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLMKQY2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If not how much should I realistically look to spend in order to get a good 4-5 years? Also since Pascal is coming out next year should I wait for that to release so that the other graphics cards will drop in price? Thanks!

Edit: Here are my specs if interested.

My Specs: ASUS M4A785TD-V | AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 | AMD Radeon 6970 | 16 GB DDR3 RAM | 630 W PSU | Win 7 64 bit | 500 GB HDD + 2 TB HDD

Depends on what settings you play at and what resolution. A GTX 970 or R9 390 would do well for you, I think, as long as you don't mind turning down the settings as you get closer to the 5 year mark. I can't recommend that R9 290X as that particular model runs extremely hot and noisy, the blower style cooler lets the graphics card reach up to 94 degrees C. Also, $325 isn't a good price at all as according to benchmarks like those at TechPowerUp and Anandtech, the new R9 390 slightly exceeds the performance of the R9 290X and offers more VRAM for a cheaper price starting at around $280 after rebate.

Waiting for new graphics cards to come out just so the existing ones will drop in price isn't that good an idea, I think. You'll end up always waiting for the next thing over the horizon and these days companies would rather bundle game codes with their graphics cards instead of giving them actual price cuts.

neoemonk

I have a GTX 670, and earlier this year bought a QNIX 1440p monitor. I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card for the new monitor, and as far as I can tell a 970 offers the best bang for my buck. Anything else coming soon for a comparable value, or should I pull the trigger on this card?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Looks like Cyber Monday came and went at New Egg and Amazon with hardly any good deals or discounts on PC parts. Glad I decided to splurge on Friday.

RGM79

I have a GTX 670, and earlier this year bought a QNIX 1440p monitor. I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card for the new monitor, and as far as I can tell a 970 offers the best bang for my buck. Anything else coming soon for a comparable value, or should I pull the trigger on this card?

There's the R9 390.
perfrel_2560.gif

Quick question

I'm finally upgrading my wife's PC for graphic design as her Christmas present. (She currently has a stop-gap 860k on an extra mobo I had lying around)

I'm looking at the Xeon E3-1231V3 as my wife is absolutely against me overclocking her PC and this looks like the best price/perf.

Is there a reason to go with the ASrock H97 Pro 4 over the Anniversary?

Or I guess the better question is; Which motherboard is the best bang for the buck with regard to the Xeon E3-1231V3?

Also, what would be better? The 1231V3 or the i7-4770s? I'm trying to keep the CPU under $300.

Edit: Or should I upgrade her GPU now (7970 ROG Matrix) and wait about the CPU until next year and see where Zen falls in performance wise and see if it's worth getting or if it causes better Intel CPUs to fall into my price range?

Edit2: How about this? I found the i7-4790 for $247. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($247.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($85.61 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($100.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: OCZ ZT 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($0.00)
Total: $433.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-01 07:15 EST-0500

NotLiquid

So in light of JC3's iffy performance and me wanting to generally get more out of my box I think it's about that time for me to invest in a new GPU. In terms of CPU I'm still comfortable with my i7 4790k and I'm definitely not going to go through the trouble of finding another mobo for the sake of different sockets, and the GPU is probably the only explicit thing I had that needed an upgrade as I've been rolling with a 2GB 760 which is starting to become a little outdated for the intense games. It's served me well but I want that little bit of extra now.

Few questions - I'd prefer to go for high end here and as such I'm looking at the GTX 980 cards. How recommending is everyone of settling with a 980 Ti over a regular 980? The benchmarks seem to imply that the former is quite a ways ahead in horse power over the 980, but I'm not fully sure that the price difference is one that's worth it for me.

Second question (and I might possibly have asked this question some time in the past when these cards were announced); how imperative is it that I switch up my PSU for this? They're still a mystery to the world for me but mine has been doing very well for me with what I have. I currently use a Corsair CS650M. Basically I'm just curious whether I run the risk of having to get more power out of this and if there's a recommended minimum.

RGM79

Quick question

I'm finally upgrading my wife's PC for graphic design as her Christmas present. (She currently has a stop-gap 860k on an extra mobo I had lying around)

I'm looking at the Xeon E3-1231V3 as my wife is absolutely against me overclocking her PC and this looks like the best price/perf.

Is there a reason to go with the ASrock H97 Pro 4 over the Anniversary?

Or I guess the better question is; Which motherboard is the best bang for the buck with regard to the Xeon E3-1231V3?

Also, what would be better? The 1231V3 or the i7-4770s? I'm trying to keep the CPU under $300.

Edit: Or should I upgrade her GPU now (7970 ROG Matrix) and wait about the CPU until next year and see where Zen falls in performance wise and see if it's worth getting or if it causes better Intel CPUs to fall into my price range?

Edit2: How about this? I found the i7-4790 for $247. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($247.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($85.61 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($100.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: OCZ ZT 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($0.00)
Total: $433.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-01 07:15 EST-0500

For a non-overclocking processor, the best bang-for-buck motherboard are the cheapest ones. I usually end up recommending something like the Asus H81M-D ($52 after rebate). Chances are that she doesn't need what a higher end motherboard offers. I don't really see much a difference otherwise.

No idea if you should wait for Zen. Not enough is known about it and it's still at least half a year away, I think. That's up to you and her if she doesn't mind continuing to use the 860K.

Now I'm thinking about a 144hz monitor... Not seeing any for less than $250, but I might have to keep my eye on holiday deals. Looks like this Asus 24 inch one is super popular and well reviewed and this Benq one

I believe people complain about the colours on that Asus.

I had the BenQ at one point, ended up returning it because of a couple issues. I posted about it in the high refresh rate thread (linked in the OP), don't remember the specifics right now.

Holy moly a 390 fits in an NZXT gamma... still gonna buy a new case though :p

Gonna mess around with this bad boy later on tonight ~ ~ ~

Got my fingers crossed, hoping for no coil whine o_O

Wag

Hooked up a Displayport monitor to my setup. Will see if it blanks out. I doubt it's the PSU if it's OK at stock.

Skii

Does anyone know why my headphone jack isn't working on the front of my PC? Did I wire it wrong or am I missing a driver?

I usually plug in the headphones at the back of my PC in that green audio jack but now want to set up my speakers with my audio problems finally fixed.

Any help is much appreciated ^^

Xenus

Since NewEgg has 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws 4 for less (in terms of GB/dollar) again, I was contemplating getting it.

Yet, I've read that Ripjaws V is "optimized" for dual channel, while the other is for quad.

Aside from that, the only real difference to me is the speed, 2800 vs 3200. Would I perceive any difference? I could just get the 16 now and add another set later.

I do plan to use several VMs, so having extra memory would be nice.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb (16GB - V)
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f42800c16q32grk (32GB - 4)

If you are worried about vm's and thus capacity over speed there are these. 2x16B so you can have up to 64GB's unfortunately the price spiked though there were $204.99 $199.99 with a promo code.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233853

j-wood

Hey guys, I'm not sure this is the right place to ask...

But I installed 2 new 4gb RAM to my CPU (which has 6 slots and supports up to 24gb of RAM) and when I go to dxdiag, it says the computer only has 8192MB of RAM.

Yet..! CPU-Z (which I was suggested to use), says 16 GB of RAM and detects the 2 newly installed RAM. Why is this?

What version of windows are you running? Some editions have RAM limitations

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7.

My upgrades are locked in, except for the motherboard, I still can't decide. I've heard the Asus z170-a is alright, but cheap. The others all seem to have cons.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7gsBkL

I'm considering picking up maybe one or two of these HDDs to use in a snapshot RAID as a parity drive and storage. Is there anything about these drives that might make them particularly unsuitable for this?

LilJoka

Screen is still blanking out. No driver failures. I give up. I've had so many problems with my setup I have no idea what's going on. I just can't seem to figure it out. Since it's happening in the BIOS it can be any number of things. It's even happening when I turn off SLI. It can either be:

A: Motherboard. (Which I replaced along with new CPU)
B: Videocard (1 of 3 or more?)
C: PSU (Which I replaced)

I'm stumped.

I just want to play a game with no problems. 😢

Different monitor?

Wag

Different monitor?

$1200 48" 4k TV. Seems to work fine with 2 cards. (at least it did before). I need to retest with 2 cards again.

Before I do that, I just plugged in a Displayport Dell 2711 into the same card the 4k display was plugged into, and the 4k blinked, yet the Dell didn't. New HDMI cable needed? I ordered a decent 4k cable (instead of the crappy HDMI cable I'm using now). If that doesn't work I'll start removing cards again.

If anyone is wondering whether freesync/gysnc is worth it, it really really is.

It works fantastically with my 390. I got the Asus MG279Q for £370 from Amazon Warehouse whilst the 10% off deal was on. Everything was sealed brand new inside, only the box was damaged a tiny bit.

My 390 doesn't do fantastically at 1440p but with freesync it doesn't matter, keep it above 35fps and you are good to go.

I am amazed, definitely the best upgrade I have made in a long time.

Flandy

Hey guys my cousin has been complaining a lot about her laptop recently saying it's really slow. I gave it a fresh install of Windows 10 but it could obviously be better. I noticed while I was doing some maintenance on it that the fan would suddenly get really loud and hot so I was wondering if I should perhaps apply new thermal paste? I'm assuming the old thermal paste on that laptop is likely worn to hell which could be causing the CPU to throttle itself? Anyway, anyone have experience with changing thermal paste on laptops? Would appreciate any tips

RGM79

Hey guys my cousin has been complaining a lot about her laptop recently saying it's really slow. I gave it a fresh install of Windows 10 but it could obviously be better. I noticed while I was doing some maintenance on it that the fan would suddenly get really loud and hot so I was wondering if I should perhaps apply new thermal paste? I'm assuming the old thermal paste on that laptop is likely worn to hell which could be causing the CPU to throttle itself? Anyway, anyone have experience with changing thermal paste on laptops? Would appreciate any tips

Changing thermal paste on a laptop processor isn't much different compared to doing it for a desktop processor. Some components have thermal pads instead of paste, given the amount of spacing between components and the heatsink, you will probably want to keep the pads.

Does anyone know why my headphone jack isn't working on the front of my PC? Did I wire it wrong or am I missing a driver?

I usually plug in the headphones at the back of my PC in that green audio jack but now want to set up my speakers with my audio problems finally fixed.

Any help is much appreciated ^^

Check if the wire is loose. Otherwise, go into the BIOS and see if there are any options for front panel audio settings. If there is an option between AC97 and HD audio, select HD audio. You should check device manager to see if you are missing any drivers. Anything wrong will have a yellow caution symbol on the device icon.

For a non-overclocking processor, the best bang-for-buck motherboard are the cheapest ones. I usually end up recommending something like the Asus H81M-D ($52 after rebate). Chances are that she doesn't need what a higher end motherboard offers. I don't really see much a difference otherwise.

No idea if you should wait for Zen. Not enough is known about it and it's still at least half a year away, I think. That's up to you and her if she doesn't mind continuing to use the 860K.

Thank you.

Will that motherboard be able to run a Haswell-R without a bios update? The only other intel CPU I have is my 2500K.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I'm going to be giving my old PC away. However, it has a stock Intel fan that's a little noisy.

It's a C2D E8400, any recommendations for a different fan? :p

If you are worried about vm's and thus capacity over speed there are these. 2x16B so you can have up to 64GB's unfortunately the price spiked though there were $204.99 $199.99 with a promo code.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233853
I ordered the other ones yesterday, so it's a little late. Unless I return them.

What was the promo code?

Is anyone aware of any 5820k vs 6700k gaming benchmarks performed at the same clock speed?

I haven't really found any, curious to see how they stack up.

Bog

Junior Ace
My current PC fried last night, and today I stumbled upon a seemingly decent deal for a 4970. So it's time to start fresh. Is there a sub $200 motherboard anyone recommends for it? Not looking to OC or anything (thus why I didn't get the 4970k).

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is anyone aware of any 5820k vs 6700k gaming benchmarks performed at the same clock speed?

I haven't really found any, curious to see how they stack up.

I haven't seen any, but with the 6700k having higher IPC and being faster clock-for-clock, plus the fact that most current games still don't need the extra two cores, I would honestly expect the 6700k to win that scenario.

OraleeWey

Since emulation is one of the reasons you guys build PC's for, I thought I'd ask. Which emulator do you use and where do you get the games from?

Maybe Ps2 and Nintendo 64 emulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom