• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been content for a long time after I ditched the videocard upgrade train many years ago, but recently started playing a lot of PC/Steam games again. So on whim decided to pick up one of those low-power requirement (300w min) GTX 750 tis. Tossed it into the bare-bones but strong i5-4460 pc with minimal fuss and yeah, I can dig it.

RGM79

I figure this is as good a place to ask as any, I have a friend who's looking for a cheap touchscreen laptop, can you guys give me some recommendations?

How cheap, and what will he be doing on the laptop? It absolutely needs to have a touchscreen?

Vertti

Wonder why my 980 Ti doesn't go over 1200 MHz. It used to go near 1500 MHz. I have the newest drivers and the newest version of MSI Afterburner.

Any ideas?

I currently have a GTX460 with 1 gb of ram. If I want to upgrade this card, what current model range should I be looking in? 50-150$ price range.

RGM79

Wonder why my 980 Ti doesn't go over 1200 MHz. It used to go near 1500 MHz. I have the newest drivers and the newest version of MSI Afterburner.

Any ideas?

Did you make any changes/updates to software, drivers, or OC settings just before it stopped working?
I currently have a GTX460 with 1 gb of ram. If I want to upgrade this card, what current model range should I be looking in? 50-150$ price range.

What are your PC's specs? What settings and performance do you want from a new graphics card? Are there any specific games you play that you want to get a certain level of performance from? We can look up benchmarks and figure out recommendations. Do you prefer not to deal with rebates, or are you okay with them?

The strongest graphics card that almost fits in your budget is the XFX R9 380 2GB model for $153 after $20 rebate. If you want to spend less, then the next best thing would be an EVGA GTX 950 for $130 after $10 rebate.

If you're worried about being bottlenecked by VRAM in the future (it'll depend on what settings and resolution you want to play at), then I'd suggest going for a graphics card with 4GB of VRAM but the cheapest recommendations I would give you cost around $180 after rebate.

Vegito

Banned
Waiting for the courier to deliver my new PC. Woke up at 5am thinking it would be delivered around 7am. Nope. Still waiting.

Vertti

Did you make any changes/updates to software, drivers, or OC settings just before it stopped working?

Well I changed my PSU. But nothing else.

Also I can add over +200 to core clock in MSI Afterburner without any effect. My computer won't crash though. Something is fishy. Maybe Afterburner isn't working correctly anymore.

EDIT. Furmark seems to be the culprit. Tried with Uniengine Heaven and it showed correct clock speed.

Divius

Looking to buy a new monitor and spend around 300-400 euro. It will mostly be used for watching movies, gaming and do some graphic design. IPS is the way to go for colors I suppose. Size between 24 and 27 inches. 1440p would be nice. 144hz would be a bonus but not a requirement (unless someone can really sell me on it). The DELL U2515H seems to tick most of those boxes and gets good reviews. It seems to be good bang for my buck. Anyone have any other suggestions or experiences with that Dell monitor?

RGM79

Well I changed my PSU. But nothing else.

Also I can add over +200 to core clock in MSI Afterburner without any effect. My computer won't crash though. Something is fishy. Maybe Afterburner isn't working correctly anymore.

Try clean installations of everything. Remove MSI Afterburner, use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove drivers, then reinstall them both?

Edit: didn't notice you solved the problem.

Looking to buy a new monitor and spend around 300-400 euro. It will mostly be used for watching movies, gaming and do some graphic design. IPS is the way to go for colors I suppose. Size between 24 and 27 inches. 1440p would be nice. 144hz would be a bonus but not a requirement (unless someone can really sell me on it). The DELL U2515H seems to tick most of those boxes and gets good reviews. It seems to be good bang for my buck. Anyone have any other suggestions or experiences with that Dell monitor?

What country are you in?

Looking for a solid internal blu ray drive. Not trying to spend too much, but solid performance is a must. Any help guys?

Are you going to be watching movies on disc? Keep in mind that you'll need additional blu-ray playback software for that. Assuming you're in the US, it seems hard to go wrong. The first 5 drives on this list all have a 4/5 star rating according to Newegg user reviews after at least 100 reviews, some after 500 reviews.

What are your PC's specs? What settings and performance do you want from a new graphics card? Are there any specific games you play that you want to get a certain level of performance from? We can look up benchmarks and figure out recommendations. Do you prefer not to deal with rebates, or are you okay with them?

The strongest graphics card that almost fits in your budget is the XFX R9 380 2GB model for $153 after $20 rebate. If you want to spend less, then the next best thing would be an EVGA GTX 950 for $130 after $10 rebate.

If you're worried about being bottlenecked by VRAM in the future (it'll depend on what settings and resolution you want to play at), then I'd suggest going for a graphics card with 4GB of VRAM but the cheapest recommendations I would give you cost around $180 after rebate.

Core i7 950 (pre sandy bridge) w/ 12 gb ram, windows 10.

I play a lot of Japanese games, I'd like to be able to keep playing koei and namco titles as they come out, as well as stuff like Borderlands 2 and Endless Legend. Would like to try metal gear on pc eventually. I definitely want to play FF Type Zero and the XIII series the with highest settings available by default at 1920x1080

I don't play the newest hot shit AAA western 420 blaze it bethesda and ubisoft open world extravaganzas.

My card now (GTX460, 1gb) is acceptable for these things, but I'd like to eke out a bit more performance if possible, and I think a vidcard upgrade is the way to go for that.

RGM79

Core i7 950 (pre sandy bridge) w/ 12 gb ram, windows 10.

I play a lot of Japanese games, I'd like to be able to keep playing koei and namco titles as they come out, as well as stuff like Borderlands 2 and Endless Legend. Would like to try metal gear on pc eventually.

I don't play the newest hot shit AAA western 420 blaze it bethesda and ubisoft open world extravaganzas.

My card now (GTX460, 1gb) is acceptable for these things, but I'd like to eke out a bit more performance if possible, and I think a vidcard upgrade is the way to go for that.

Then something simple like the GTX 950 will be fine for you.

Hickee

Ordered almost all of my new parts from Amazon as I've never had trouble with them in the past, and they beat most retailers by a few quid. Placed my order on December 1st, estimated delivery for all items was 5th to 9th December.

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7-EU Motherboard moved dates 3 times (6th till 8th then 9th till 15th and finally 15th till 19th December) despite being in stock when I ordered and throughout the past 7 days, as did the 980ti and power supply. Then I notice the price has gone up by £55 on the motherboard, £40 on the 980ti and £30 on the power supply and the items now said "we'll email you when available" when you clicked them in my orders, despite still showing the old price beside them in there and they were all still in stock, just not at the old price and all sold by Amazon as they were when I clicked order.

Contacted them 3 times about this and have had 1 reply basically saying sorry but you can always wait until these items come back in stock. I pointed out that they were always in stock and sold by them and all that has changed has been the price. They then said that this is because they only had them in different distribution centers and not the ones I am getting the rest of my orders from, and as I ticked group my items into few deliveries as possible they could not supply me with them.

Fuck them. Cancelled the order and will now get the MB, PSU and 980ti from Overclockers.

RGM79

How much of a jump am I making with that 950? Are there any other lower end 2gb cards that would also be a significant upgrade from a 5 year old card? I have no sense of scale for this.

It's a bit hard to show you the scale because the GTX 460 is so old that there are no comparisons to show how well both performs at a certain game or benchmark. Every few years, most professional websites update the benchmarks that they use to test graphics cards with so they can remain relevant with popular games and more recent graphics technologies. There are synthetic benchmarks like those from 3DMark, but the scores they give do not necessarily reflect game performance.

The best I can do to show you game performance is an inexact and indirect comparison. There are these performance charts that show that the GTX 950 is roughly on par with the GTX 760, and here's a performance comparison between the GTX 460 and the GTX 760.

In general I think you can expect a large performance boost, around twice the speed/framerate of your current GTX 460. There are other graphics cards, but none that are quite as good as the GTX 950 is for the price.

What's a good Anti-Virus Software? A free trial of Norton came with my mobo but I'm wondering what a good option would be when it expires. Preferably under $50. I had a Mac for the past 8 years without needing any protection, so I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to what I should be looking for haha

RGM79

What's a good Anti-Virus Software? A free trial of Norton came with my mobo but I'm wondering what a good option would be when it expires. Preferably under $50. I had a Mac for the past 8 years without needing any protection, so I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to what I should be looking for haha

I use Avast. I keep the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on hand as a second option.

ampere

Loving my new machine, but wondering what I should get as a permanent base solution. Currently have the thing sitting on a large plastic box top, but I want something a little nicer looking. Have a Fractal Define S, just don't want it sitting on carpet with the PSU fan facing the ground

Also, wouldn't mind recommendations for a monitor stand. Would prefer something adjustable up to 12", but I see very little that gets that high. Currently have it sitting on boxes/textbooks lol

LilJoka

Loving my new machine, but wondering what I should get as a permanent base solution. Currently have the thing sitting on a large plastic box top, but I want something a little nicer looking. Have a Fractal Define S, just don't want it sitting on carpet with the PSU fan facing the ground

Also, wouldn't mind recommendations for a monitor stand. Would prefer something adjustable up to 12", but I see very little that gets that high. Currently have it sitting on boxes/textbooks lol

Flip the psu over and put the case on the carpet.

Skii

I think I might have to send my monitor back. It seems to creak constantly after I turn my computer off. It's almost impossible to sleep for at least an hour after turning off the PC. Very strange.

Think I might ask for a refund from Amazon and go for a G-sync monitor.

Any suggestions? It can't be bigger than 24".

Thanks

MisterNoisy

I'm using the wheeled base from an Antec Lanboard that I bought like four years ago, with a 1/4"x12"x24" sheet of clear plexi I bought from Amazon for dirt cheap under it to keep my box off the carpet. I think the Lanboard is discontinued, but I'm sure there are other comparable options.

Jharp

Is DDR4 RAM recommended right now, or should I just go for DDR3 and save some money? Is motherboard compatibility a concern right now?

Is DDR4 RAM recommended right now, or should I just go for DDR3 and save some money? Is motherboard compatibility a concern right now?

You don't have a choice, if you use Z170 or X99 you need DDR4 (ignore the low voltage DDR3L stuff). If you're on Z97 or before you'll use DDR3.

knitoe

Then I'd have intake from my case, but I guess it's not that hot anyway. Might be the most convenient solution

Nah. Do not rotate the PSU. Just the case on the floor and put something flat underneath it. Cut up cardboard box is just fine.

My Task manager is saying I have 12 GB of memory of DDR2 at 1033MHz while Speccy is saying I have 14 GM of Tripple-Channel DDR3 at 530MHz. The specs on Speccy are correct (Though it should be at 1033MHz or higher) but why is Windows so far off?
Pr7Pit3.jpg

knitoe

My Task manager is saying I have 12 GB of memory of DDR2 at 1033MHz while Speccy is saying I have 14 GM of Tripple-Channel DDR3 at 530MHz. The specs on Speccy are correct (Though it should be at 1033MHz or higher) but why is Windows so far off?
Pr7Pit3.jpg

Not sure how you get triple channel with 14GB. 12GB would be correct since 3x4GB. What does it say with CPU-Z? And, DDR is double density so it's actually 2 x speed, 2 x 530mhz = 1060mhz.

Lebneney

Banned
Does anyone know who sells the best mid/high end PCs that provide the most bang for your buck? I want to build, but I feel it will take too long and I am really nervous about breaking a component.

Skii

I've had problems with the high frequency of DDR4. It basically caused DPC latency that took me around 3 months and multiple experts to pin point lol. I think I was just really unlucky with my build but thought I'd mention it.

Jharp

Yeah I'm considering going for DDR3 to save money and avoid potential problems. But I feel like I'm just being unnecessarily paranoid.

Dude Guy

How cheap, and what will he be doing on the laptop? It absolutely needs to have a touchscreen?

I'll take any recommendations under $500 (I know that's ridiculous) but she is adamant about it having a touchscreen (I dunno why) and I think she'll just be browsing the net and transferring files to her iPad and phone. She says minimum 500GB HDD.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yo. I'm looking to swap out my 4x2GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 for 2x8GB DDR3 until I do a full upgrade later next year. Video editing will benefit.

Should I stick with 1600(800MHz) or make the jump up to 2133? Same goes for timings; should I be careful with what sticks are rated at these days?

Bumperoony.

yTuOD8n.png

The build I'm currently making. I feel like it's really good and on budget. The 380 appears to slightly outdo the 960 and I couldn't afford to buy a 970 or try for second hand markets. The new Skylake and DDR4 Ram should be awesome though.

j-wood

Man, I am so happy with my new build. Using the 6700k and the hyper 212 evo, my cpu temps are around 23 degrees while browsing the web and whatnot. Playing fallout 4 and witcher 3, the highest I saw it go using real temp is 55 degrees. My old 2600k would hit 85 with the stock cooler haha.

There is a question I have though that I'm hoping someone with the MSI Gaming M7 board can help out with. In the Bios, the CPU fan is set on the smart control, where you can set the fan speed based on cpu temp.

There is a utility I can install called command center from MSI that also lets me set the smart stuff with the cpu. Does that override the bios or something? The default values looked different.

I'm loving this board though. I did just set my ram to it's proper 2666MHz with no issues, was super easy. It is weird though that it defaults to 2133.

RGM79

I'll take any recommendations under $500 (I know that's ridiculous) but she is adamant about it having a touchscreen (I dunno why) and I think she'll just be browsing the net and transferring files to her iPad and phone. She says minimum 500GB HDD.

Here's all the laptops on Newegg that match. Go for a laptop with an i5 processor for higher performance, but for what she's doing, an i3 processor will be alright as well.

Does anyone know who sells the best mid/high end PCs that provide the most bang for your buck? I want to build, but I feel it will take too long and I am really nervous about breaking a component.

We don't really know much about prebuilt PCs here. Your best bet might be to watch a forum like slickdeals or something similar for prebuilt PC deals.

yTuOD8n.png

The build I'm currently making. I feel like it's really good and on budget. The 380 appears to slightly outdo the 960 and I couldn't afford to buy a 970 or try for second hand markets. The new Skylake and DDR4 Ram should be awesome though.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but the SSD isn't very good. Kingston's been putting sub-par parts into it which make it a very poorly performing SSD. Also, I can't find any reviews at all for that Thermaltake power supply, which is a bit worrying.

What country are you in? Have you been able to find any RAM at 2666MHz or higher?

Bumperoony.

What are your system specs? Your motherboard need to be able to support that speed for it to work.
Man, I am so happy with my new build. Using the 6700k and the hyper 212 evo, my cpu temps are around 23 degrees while browsing the web and whatnot. Playing fallout 4 and witcher 3, the highest I saw it go using real temp is 55 degrees. My old 2600k would hit 85 with the stock cooler haha.

There is a question I have though that I'm hoping someone with the MSI Gaming M7 board can help out with. In the Bios, the CPU fan is set on the smart control, where you can set the fan speed based on cpu temp.

There is a utility I can install called command center from MSI that also lets me set the smart stuff with the cpu. Does that override the bios or something? The default values looked different.

I'm loving this board though. I did just set my ram to it's proper 2666MHz with no issues, was super easy. It is weird though that it defaults to 2133.

Good to hear that your new PC is working well. I would assume that both the BIOS and motherboard have the same default presets, but I could be wrong. What you set last should be what takes priority if the two settings are different, so it'll probably be the software utility.

All motherboards default to slowest officially supported RAM speed, which in the case of DDR4 is 2133MHz. I don't think there's any motherboard that will automatically run at XMP unless there's some kind of button for it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What are your system specs? Your motherboard need to be able to support that speed for it to work.

P8P67 with an i7 2600K. That's why I was thinking the 2133 as the specs listed support 1600 officially and up to 2200 via overclocking.

RGM79

P8P67 with an i7 2600K. That's why I was thinking the 2133 as the specs listed support 1600 officially and up to 2200 via overclocking.

Sounds like an idea. How the RAM speed will affect performance depends on what program you use and stuff like that, but according to Anandtech's testing with DDR3 on Haswell, there are some gains to be had. They ran tests with a video converter program and H.264 encoding, RAM speeds above 1866MHz were able to get a 5~6% improvement over 1333/1600MHz RAM.

Well, 2x8GB kits of 1600MHz start at $58 and same size kits of 2133MHz start at ~$70. The G.Skill Sniper kit at $70 is a decent price, but the RAM's heatsink design is rather large and may interfere with a large CPU cooler if yours happens to be wide enough to possibly interfere with the RAM slots. Otherwise go with the G.Skill Ares kit for $75, that's a smaller design that should fit under most large CPU coolers easily.

Thanks for the help man. I am still tempted to build my own, but I need the time...

Sorry for the lack of help, but few of us order from prebuilt gaming PC companies so we're not too familiar with how much they tend to charge. Alternatively, consider ordering a list of parts from NCIXUS along with the assembly option. For $50 they'll put it together, test it, install OS if you also order it from them, and they'll give you one year warranty on the complete PC as well as all of the packaging and accessories from the parts you chose so you have it in case you need manuals, extra parts, or something breaks down (graphics card, PSU, etc) and you just want to contact the manufacturer to send back that one part for warranty purposes.

This is random, but does anyone here want a code for Lichdom Battlemage? I got it in that recent super cheap bundle but I forgot I already had the game lol, so the codes up for grabs if anyone's looking to flex their rig's GPU muscles on a pretty good fantasy FPS that uses Cryengine. Just let me know.

In case no one takes you up on your offer, there's also the "FREE to a good home" thread, someone there might also appreciate it.

Lebneney

Banned
Sorry for the lack of help, but few of us order from prebuilt gaming PC companies so we're not too familiar with how much they tend to charge. Alternatively, consider ordering a list of parts from NCIXUS along with the assembly option. For $50 they'll put it together, test it, install OS if you also order it from them, and they'll give you one year warranty on the complete PC as well as all of the packaging and accessories from the parts you chose so you have it in case you need manuals, extra parts, or something breaks down (graphics card, PSU, etc) and you just want to contact the manufacturer to send back that one part for warranty purposes.

Honestly, you've helped a lot bud! I just think I'm nervous putting all of the components together because I have grown up with prebuilt PCs and Macs, so I lack a lot of experience. For instance, I looked up a guide about building a PC and the first warning was releasing all of the static electricity flowing through your body... that is where I closed the webpage and questioned whether I should build or get a prebuilt.

GKB

Hey guys, it's not exactly build a pc question, but i figure this is the best place to ask.

Does Intel DX58SO support 3TB Hard Drive? and what are the hardware requirements for it?

I read that some older motherboards may have compatibility problems with it. Also, i'm only going to use it as storage, so definitely won't install any OS on it.

poodaddy

Sounds like an idea. How the RAM speed will affect performance depends on what program you use and stuff like that, but according to Anandtech's testing with DDR3 on Haswell, there are some gains to be had. They ran tests with a video converter program and H.264 encoding, RAM speeds above 1866MHz were able to get a 5~6% improvement over 1333/1600MHz RAM.

Well, 2x8GB kits of 1600MHz start at $58 and same size kits of 2133MHz start at ~$70. The G.Skill Sniper kit at $70 is a decent price, but the RAM's heatsink design is rather large and may interfere with a large CPU cooler if yours happens to be wide enough to possibly interfere with the RAM slots. Otherwise go with the G.Skill Ares kit for $75, that's a smaller design that should fit under most large CPU coolers easily.

In case no one takes you up on your offer, there's also the "FREE to a good home" thread, someone there might also appreciate it.
Good idea man thanks :)

poodaddy

Hey guys, it's not exactly build a pc question, but i figure this is the best place to ask.

Does Intel DX58SO support 3TB Hard Drive? and what are the hardware requirements for it?

I read that some older motherboards may have compatibility problems with it. Also, i'm only going to use it as storage, so definitely won't install any OS on it.

This is certainly not the best place to ask that man. You should become a member of a tech community too, as Neogaf is honestly not the best place for more obscure tech questions in my experience. I really like LinusTechTips, but TekSyndicate and Tom's Hardware are also pretty good. Hardware Canucks is a good one too. Just a suggestion.

LilJoka

Then I'd have intake from my case, but I guess it's not that hot anyway. Might be the most convenient solution

Yep, people worry way too much for things that make little to no difference concerning fans.
Also the psu is exhaust, it will take air from the case and throw it out the back of the psu.

GKB

This is certainly not the best place to ask that man. You should become a member of a tech community too, as Neogaf is honestly not the best place for more obscure tech questions in my experience. I really like LinusTechTips, but TekSyndicate and Tom's Hardware are also pretty good. Hardware Canucks is a good one too. Just a suggestion.

Ok, will do, thanks!

LilJoka

It should work fine, you just need to format in GUID rather than MBR from within Windows.

RGM79

Honestly, you've helped a lot bud! I just think I'm nervous putting all of the components together because I have grown up with prebuilt PCs and Macs, so I lack a lot of experience. For instance, I looked up a guide about building a PC and the first warning was releasing all of the static electricity flowing through your body... that is where I closed the webpage and questioned whether I should build or get a prebuilt.

Personally I've never once had to worry about electrostatic discharge and have never damaged any electronics that way, but then again my home and work environments don't really make it something to worry about. There's little to no carpets so I never have to ground myself. Of course, your situation and location might be different.

It should be fine. As far as I understand it, what OS you're using will matter more than the motherboard will when it comes to supporting >2TB hard drives. Also, I believe that as long as you have your DX58SO motherboard updated to the latest BIOS revision (version 5600), it should support 3TB hard drives. Intel has changelogs for its BIOS updates and according to update 5200 (dated April 14th 2010), it "Fixed setup display issue with 2.25 TB hard disk". I assume support for large hard drives exceeding 2TB was properly enabled after that BIOS update.

When you install the new hard drive, you should initialize and format the hard drive in Windows Disk Management as the GPT type, not the older MBR type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom