• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
This is certainly not the best place to ask that man. You should become a member of a tech community too, as Neogaf is honestly not the best place for more obscure tech questions in my experience. I really like LinusTechTips, but TekSyndicate and Tom's Hardware are also pretty good. Hardware Canucks is a good one too. Just a suggestion.
TekSyndicate is the biggest pile of horseshit headlining FUD garbage and deserves no credibility for anything for a couple years after they pulled their AMD FX series BULLSHIT. Fucking sheep on Reddit /r/buildapc were parroting FX builds for months (His video was #1 on /r/buildapc for a while and everything else was downvoted (literally -600) into oblivion refuting his 100% unrepeatable testing with actual facts.
See threads like this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1635040/8350-3570k-tek-syndicate-video-accurate.html
Video was renamed twice and followed up incorrectly (Originally super hyper clickbait title), incomplete benchmarks were posted, testing methodology missing (Thus unrepeatable, you'd think if there was some conspiracy that AMD was faster in every game tested everyone would know?)

Actually completely disgusting. But whatever, making consistent youtube videos and appealing to people gets you 7k/mo on Patreon

Oh and Tom's isn't great either.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sounds like an idea. How the RAM speed will affect performance depends on what program you use and stuff like that, but according to Anandtech's testing with DDR3 on Haswell, there are some gains to be had. They ran tests with a video converter program and H.264 encoding, RAM speeds above 1866MHz were able to get a 5~6% improvement over 1333/1600MHz RAM.

Well, 2x8GB kits of 1600MHz start at $58 and same size kits of 2133MHz start at ~$70. The G.Skill Sniper kit at $70 is a decent price, but the RAM's heatsink design is rather large and may interfere with a large CPU cooler if yours happens to be wide enough to possibly interfere with the RAM slots. Otherwise go with the G.Skill Ares kit for $75, that's a smaller design that should fit under most large CPU coolers easily.

Cheers man :). About double the price in Australia, but that's hardware pricing for you.

GKB

It should work fine, you just need to format in GUID rather than MBR from within Windows.

It should be fine. As far as I understand it, what OS you're using will matter more than the motherboard will when it comes to supporting >2TB hard drives. Also, I believe that as long as you have your DX58SO motherboard updated to the latest BIOS revision (version 5600), it should support 3TB hard drives. Intel has changelogs for its BIOS updates, and according to update 5200 (dated April 14th 2010), an issue with hard drives of >2.25TB was fixed. I assume support for large hard drives exceeding 2.2TB was properly enabled after that BIOS update.

When you install the new hard drive, you should initialize and format the hard drive in Windows Disk Management as the GPT type, not the older MBR type.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit, so OS shouldn't be a problem.

As for formatting the drive to GUID/GPT, i already found some tutorials, looks easy enough. Thanks a lot guys!

RGM79

Oh boy, now I feel bad for even occasionally referring to Tom's Hardware review articles. I swear Haz, it's only if I can't find other results!

Tom's Hardware forum threads I tend to avoid though. Not much useful in there. They clutter up search results more than do good.

Cheers man :). About double the price in Australia, but that's hardware pricing for you.

Oh, I don't know why I assumed you were in the US. Change the country in the upper right corner and yeah.. $110 AUD vs $131 AUD. Well, it's up to you if the ~$20 difference is worth the potential ~5% performance increase.

poodaddy

TekSyndicate is the biggest pile of horseshit headlining FUD garbage and deserves no credibility for anything for a couple years after they pulled their AMD FX series BULLSHIT. Fucking sheep on Reddit /r/buildapc were parroting FX builds for months (His video was #1 on /r/buildapc for a while and everything else was downvoted (literally -600) into oblivion refuting his 100% unrepeatable testing with actual facts.
See threads like this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1635040/8350-3570k-tek-syndicate-video-accurate.html
Video was renamed twice and followed up incorrectly (Originally super hyper clickbait title), incomplete benchmarks were posted, testing methodology missing (Thus unrepeatable)

Actually completely disgusting. But whatever, making consistent youtube videos and appealing to people gets you 7k/mo on Patreon

Oh and Tom's isn't great either.
I'm not going to get into that whole argument as that got pretty heated on both sides and it was quite some time ago. That being said, I don't do Teksyndicate anymore for the simple fact of all the elitism that Logan parrots; his constant pessimism and asshole attitude just got to me after a while and I just couldn't handle it anymore. I was mentioning them more for the objectively superior knowledge of Wendell in comparison to many other tech youtubers out there and the fact that a lot of people swear by them. Logan's an ass, but Wendell is a very intelligent person and I genuinely enjoyed his input; sad that I couldn't handle Logan anymore. How could someone who makes such great music be such a complete ass? Oh wait....great musicians are assholes fairly often. Bummer :/

I've posted this previously but no one had any suggestions so excuses if I post again on the off-chance someone has a suggestion.

I recently built a 4790K/980Ti/16GB based system. I pretty much never seen dips below 60 or torn frames, except on certain games (usually UE3, Bioshock Infinite is the worse) during the times assets are being loaded. I'll jump into a level or cross a loading boundary and I'll see a screen tear slowly work it's way up the screen and disappear. From then on, everything is perfect. All games are installed to a Samsung Evo SSD which shows really good numbers in the benchmark. Overall 3D mark score is as expected. I've confirmed the bus the GPU sits in is running in 16x mode, ram is clocked correctly at 1866Mhz. Windows installation is relatively new and the machine is clean. I'm running adaptive v-sync. Any ideas? Oddly, Talos Principle reports a m/s deviation figure for the frametimes and it can be at 0ms while the tear is moving up the display!

solid mike

Hi guys, I'm not sure if my setup is utilizing the GPU I got for my build. Youtube videos exhibit screen tearing and items in the browser look quite grainy/fuzzy.

I have not installed the chipsets for the motherboard and GPU. The AMD Radeon Settings app don't work after I installed just the R9 380's driver.

Anybody know what's going on?

RGM79

I've posted this previously but no one had any suggestions so excuses if I post again on the off-chance someone has a suggestion.

I recently built a 4790K/980Ti/16GB based system. I pretty much never seen dips below 60 or torn frames, except on certain games (usually UE3, Bioshock Infinite is the worse) during the times assets are being loaded. I'll jump into a level or cross a loading boundary and I'll see a screen tear slowly work it's way up the screen and disappear. From then on, everything is perfect. All games are installed to a Samsung Evo SSD which shows really good numbers in the benchmark. Overall 3D mark score is as expected. I've confirmed the bus the GPU sits in is running in 16x mode, ram is clocked correctly at 1866Mhz. Windows installation is relatively new and the machine is clean. I'm running adaptive v-sync. Any ideas? Oddly, Talos Principle reports a m/s deviation figure for the frametimes and it can be at 0ms while the tear is moving up the display!

It's like that for all games? Does disabling vsync change anything?

Hi guys, I'm not sure if my setup is utilizing the GPU I got for my build. Youtube videos exhibit screen tearing and items in the browser look quite grainy/fuzzy.

I have not installed the chipsets for the motherboard and GPU. The AMD Radeon Settings app don't work after I installed just the R9 380's driver.

Anybody know what's going on?

You should install all missing drivers. There's no reason not to. Then see if there's any difference.

What monitor?

Try turning off v-sync and instead setting a global 60 FPS cap in Rivatuner statistics server.

solid mike

It's like that for all games? Does disabling vsync change anything?

You should install all missing drivers. There's no reason not to. Then see if there's any difference.

Alright then. Soon as I get Windows 10. Running Windows 7 trial just to test.

LQX

If the motherboard was the only cost/feature factor what would be a better buy, a i7-4790K or i7‑5930K?

j-wood

Man, WTF samsung? I got my 850 evo in my new rig on Sata port 1, but I have a 1TB raid between two HDDs on different sata ports, so obviously my sata controller has to be set to raid.

I installed the samsung magician software and everytime I boot, i get an error that it couldn't communicate with the SSD because the controller wasn't set to AHCI. So I used the tool to "optimize" for maximum reliability then uninstalled.

Do they think people only use SSDs now or something? I'm not missing out on anything by not having that tool right? I saw in windows 10 it now recognizes SSDs and doesn't defrag them, but trims instead.

RGM79

If the motherboard was the only cost/feature factor what would be a better buy, a i7-4790K or i7‑5930K?

Getting a cheap processor from the Intel retail edge program? Odds are that both will handle your needs just fine unless you're running some kind of specialized task that would really benefit from the extra cores of the 5930K, such as video editing and encoding. Even then the i7 4790K isn't bad at all for that kind of thing. That said, currently most games won't benefit very much from the two extra cores of the 5930K. In some situations, the 5930K might even be slightly slower than the 4790K because the 4790K runs at a higher clock speed by default, and if the game/task isn't coded to take advantage of more CPU cores.

The i7 5930K would be a better bet for the future if you intended to keep the PC for a longer time as it is a hexa core processor, as the i7 4790K is "only" a quad core processor. Also, X99 motherboards for the i7 5930K work with newer DDR4 RAM and have features like USB 3.1, whereas most Z97 motherboards for the i7 4790K use the older DDR3 and rarely have USB 3.1. X99 motherboards and DDR4 RAM do cost more than Z97 motherboards and DDR3 RAM, though.

LQX

You mean ignoring the cost difference between the two CPUs? 5930K all day every day.

Yeah. Hoping I can take advantage of that retail program Intel has and the cost of them is not a factor as they are both cheap but reading and watching reviews there seems to be no difference really in gaming. But to get a decent board for the 5930K I would have to probably spend close to $250-$300 where as they have more than a few decent motherboards for the 4790K at close to $150 with even more features. Yes it is more powerful but I'm not sure the cost are worth it even when the motherboard is the biggest factor.

Edit- Just saw your post RGM79

Getting a cheap processor from the Intel retail edge program? Odds are that both will handle your needs just fine unless you're running some kind of specialized task that would really benefit from the extra cores of the 5930K, such as video editing and encoding. Even then the i7 4790K isn't bad at all for that kind of thing. That said, currently most games won't benefit very much from the two extra cores of the 5930K. In some situations, the 5930K might even be slightly slower than the 4790K because the 4790K runs at a higher clock speed by default, and if the game/task isn't coded to take advantage of more CPU cores.

The i7 5930K would be a better bet for the future if you intended to keep the PC for a longer time as it is a hexa core processor, as the i7 4790K is "only" a quad core processor. Also, X99 motherboards for the i7 5930K work with newer DDR4 RAM and have features like USB 3.1, whereas most Z97 motherboards for the i7 4790K use the older DDR3 and rarely have USB 3.1. X99 motherboards and DDR4 RAM do cost more than Z97 motherboards and DDR3 RAM, though.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the 5930K as I can see myself holding on to a system built around it longer than I would the 4790K.

Also, I actually bought some parts for Skylake build but still do not have a CPU as I cant find a 6700K at a decent price in stock. I have the motherboard and RAM already which I can return but would it be a good idea to maybe trade or sell the 5930K to get a 6700K?

RGM79

Yeah. Hoping I can take advantage of that retail program Intel has and the cost of them is not a factor as they are both cheap but reading and watching reviews there seems to be no difference really in gaming. But to get a decent board for the 5930K I would have to probably spend close to $250-$300 where as they have more than a few decent motherboards for the 4790K at close to $150 with even more features. Yes it is more powerful but I'm not sure the cost are worth it even when the motherboard is the biggest factor.

Edit- Just saw your post RGM79

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the 5930K as I can see myself holding on to a system built around it longer than I would the 4790K.

Also, I actually bought some parts for Skylake build but still do not have a CPU as I cant find a 6700K at a decent price in stock. I have the motherboard and RAM already which I can return but would it be a good idea to maybe trade or sell the 5930K to get a 6700K?
Technically the hexa core 5930K should be a higher end processor than the 6700K. The 6700K is like an updated 4790K, it is also a quad core processor.

The 6700K is in low stock, and most places I know have raised prices for what little stock they have. Right now, the cost of the i7 6700K makes it hard to recommend. If you want a good computer sooner, I'd recommend building a PC around the i7 5930K.

Bri

Hey PC guys!

Anyone here with any experience with the ASUS GTX 970 Turbo? I bought one but still unsure if to keep it or not. I've heard some really mixed things about the noise from it.

It's still the only part I have for my new rig. I got it for a good price in my country (about $100/100€ discount).

OraleeWey

So, it appears that USPS perhaps lost my Video Card. Apparently it was delivered at 1:34pm on December the 2nd. I didn't check for a box until about 8pm that day, but my relatives were outside around that time and they claim that no mail was left for me.

The tracking shows delivered, but again, no package. What are the chances that I can file a claim and get the claim money out of this situation? I've never had this problem happen to me before.

Also, what a good replacement card comparable to the R9 270x?

These are my parts
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QxnyYJ

I'm thinking a GTX 960 4g if I can get a good deal on it. Not sure about a budget, somewhere around $100 bucks. Will probably get something used.

Both are comparable in price.

Update: So my package arrived today. Not sure what that was all about. It was supposedly delivered December the 2nd, but it didn't show up until today.

I'm still waiting for the Superbiiz shipment. Which is more than half my parts. Also, are we not recommending Reddit OS keys anymore? I haven't seen any mention of them lately.

RGM79

Update: So my package arrived today. Not sure what that was all about. It was supposedly delivered December the 2nd, but it didn't show up until today.

I'm still waiting for the Superbiiz shipment. Which is more than half my parts. Also, are we not recommending Reddit OS keys anymore? I haven't seen any mention of them lately.

I've only been recommending them if the poster says they're on a tight budget. Seems like I'm usually the one recommending them at all.

Was it UPS Sure Post? Sure Post is when UPS delivers your package to you local post office and they deliver to the final destination. I know sometimes UPS marks the package as "Delivered" after dropping it off at the Post Office.

Just cleaned out both my computers with the DataVac. This is your monthly reminder to clean your computers regularly to keep those temperatures down and your components life span longer.

KissVibes

Banned
Finish building my computer. I have never spent more than $500 on a PC before. This is exciting.

spKWj7Z.jpg
7JtBMUI.jpg
bhu0SxC.jpg

NZXT S340 Case $69.99
EVGA 750w B2 PSU $56.99
WD 1TB HDD $49.99
SanDisk Extreme PRO 240GB SSD $95.99
(2) NZXT FN V2 140MM fan $9.99
Intel i7 4790k $232.07
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO $9.99
MSI Z97S SLI Karit Edition $104.99
Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) $80.93
MSI Radeon R9 390 $309.99

Jharp

Finish building my computer. I have never spent more than $500 on a PC before. This is exciting.

NZXT S340 Case $69.99
EVGA 750w B2 PSU $56.99
WD 1TB HDD $49.99
Intel i7 4790k $232.07

Man it looks great. I'm starting to think the full tower case I bought was overkill, but the last time I built a PC, the mid-tower I was using was barely big enough for the video card, which I had to remove several drive cages to fit in. And cable management was a nightmare. At the very least it'll hopefully have better airflow and stay cooler. But yours looks killer.

UnrealEck

Anyone know why, when benchmarking the Skylake CPUs, different sites are showing the 6700K performing better than the 4790K in games whilst other sites show them essentially being equal?
I'm guessing the equal ones are with the 4790K's clock boosting further or something.

Who can you trust?

Then there's the 5820K. I'm under the impression that at the same clock speeds it'd perform maybe very very slightly worse than the 6700K in games. But I've not seen any benchmarks showing this. Plus, the 6700K seems to overclock with better stability than either the Haswell-E or the Devil's Canyon.

RGM79

Anyone know why, when benchmarking the Skylake CPUs, different sites are showing the 6700K performing better than the 4790K in games whilst other sites show them essentially being equal?
I'm guessing the equal ones are with the 4790K's clock boosting further or something.

Who can you trust?

Then there's the 5820K. I'm under the impression that at the same clock speeds it'd perform maybe very very slightly worse than the 6700K in games. But I've not seen any benchmarks showing this. Plus, the 6700K seems to overclock with better stability than either the Haswell-E or the Devil's Canyon.

Which sites are you looking at and for what games?

Who can you trust?

Some benchmarks will be GPU limited.

OraleeWey

I've only been recommending them if the poster says they're on a tight budget. Seems like I'm usually the one recommending them at all.
OK. I see.
Was it UPS Sure Post? Sure Post is when UPS delivers your package to you local post office and they deliver to the final destination. I know sometimes UPS marks the package as "Delivered" after dropping it off at the Post Office.
I'm not sure. It came in a flat rate box. Bought it from a friend. I got it now though, it is all good.

manfestival

NZXT S340 Case $69.99
EVGA 750w B2 PSU $56.99
WD 1TB HDD $49.99
Intel i7 4790k $232.07

I was gonna get that case anyways and this picture pretty much seals the deal... cannot wait for my next paycheck. Come to papa bonus money. I can probably drop more on my computer but I feel like I am being greedy lol. Why did you go with the 390 over the nvidia? just curious

Pittst0p

Neo Member
Looking to upgrade, thoughts?

Current specs:
i5 2500k
msi ati radeon 6950 2 GB
msi p67a-gd53
Crucial BX100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200
G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2
cm 690 2

Is it worth upgrading to just the following or should I do a complete rebuild?
MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Acer XB240H

Looking to upgrade, thoughts?

Current specs:
i5 2500k
msi ati radeon 6950 2 GB
msi p67a-gd53
Crucial BX100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200
G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2
cm 690 2

Is it worth upgrading to just the following or should I do a complete rebuild?
MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Acer XB240H
Overclock your CPU if you haven't already and grab that 980 Ti. Your CPU is still quite good.

Man it looks great. I'm starting to think the full tower case I bought was overkill, but the last time I built a PC, the mid-tower I was using was barely big enough for the video card, which I had to remove several drive cages to fit in. And cable management was a nightmare. At the very least it'll hopefully have better airflow and stay cooler. But yours looks killer.
Full tower cases are definitely overkill if you're not running a ton of drives. Mid tower is where its at

Also that NZXT build is very clean great job.

manfestival

I keep meaning to ask but are mechanical keyboards worth it? I love how the keyboards click on those things but I cant justify spending 100 dollars on a keyboard when a 5 dollar one has treated me so well all of these years

Azzurri

Gold Member
Just bought Acer Predator X34 34" 21:9 G sync monitor. It's awesome! I thought I wouldn't notice anything higher than 60hz since I've never used one, but man was I wrong, it's so much smoother, it's crazy.

Finally finished building my first PC from scratch. :)
It doesn't boot/ POST. :(

The motherboard light shows but no fans are spinning. Will start trying to resolve it tmr since it's late but can anyone advise on what do to next?

Garou

The motherboard light shows but no fans are spinning. Will start trying to resolve it tmr since it's late but can anyone advise on what do to next?

Did you connect the cable for the power-switch?

There's a troubleshooting guide in the OP you should follow, but, did you plug in the 8-pin ATX cable from the PSU?

VOmvX13.jpg

Wires are Evil and my computer is an abomination. I unplugged everything for now but I'm sure I made some glaringly obvious mistakes. And I did not read the OP carefully to see that. I'll try it first thing tmr.

sry for low quality ._.

I'm pretty sure i connected all the wires that came with the case properly to the motherboard using the manual. I will read/try again. And what 8pin ATX cable? o.o

Would It perhaps be my motherboard assembly screws? I remember being quite lazy with them but the light poped up so I'm not sure if its related or not. As far as I'm concerned nothing else works except that lone light when I plug in the power supply flicked to "l". That being said about the assembly, I wouldn't be surprised if I damaged the motherboard beyond repair out of constant adjusting and shoving

Jimrpg

Hey RGM79 and others,

I'm doing an office pc build for myself and wanted some feedback on the build. It'll be used mainly for Microsoft Office, Project and AutoCAD. I'm in Malaysia so things are a little bit more expensive in general compared to the US and not all the parts are available.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dXjqjX
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dXjqjX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3250 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-DS2
Memory: Kingston Hyper Fury 1666Mhz 8Gb Ram
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: Cooler Master Elite 343
Power Supply: Corsair VS 450W
Total: $250.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-29 01:09 EST-0500

I'll be supplying my own monitor, KB/Mouse, external hard drive and getting a windows 10 key from Kinguin/G2A.

Question

Well my parts have finally come in now.

And much to my dismay its not turning on at all. I've tried switching around all the little PLED, PWR Switch double checking + and -.

I suppose I have to check each component one by one now starting with the Power supply? Its either that or the case or the motherboard isn't it?

Worst nightmare (cause I probably have to mail something back and deal with admin shenanigans).

Well my parts have finally come in now.

And much to my dismay its not turning on at all. I've tried switching around all the little PLED, PWR Switch double checking + and -.

I suppose I have to check each component one by one now starting with the Power supply? Its either that or the case or the motherboard isn't it?

Worst nightmare (cause I probably have to mail something back and deal with admin shenanigans).

Probably a simple mistake. Take a look at the troubleshooting guide in the OP.

bluntspoon

Neo Member
It's been a long time since I upgraded more than a single part. Kids will change your priorities that way. Currently on a Phenom II X4 955 @3.6 that has served me well but it's time and I have some extra money. Will be handing down my current CPU, MB and Memory to my son, he is on an e8600 so it's way past time for him too.

Open to suggestions.

Keeping my current GPU, storage, PSU, monitor etc. Have no interest in overclocking this go around. My total budget is $1000, but I want to have a minimum of $400 set aside for a new GPU next year. Whether that is a new part or a used 980Ti remains to be seen. I imagine the jump from the CPU upgrade will keep me happy for a while. I can also see myself spending some money on cable extenders and the like to keep the cable management clean.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7HPX4D
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7HPX4D/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($0.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($0.00)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($0.00)
Case Fan: Thermaltake CL-F038-PL12RE-A 40.6 CFM 120mm Fan ($12.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VE198T 19.0" Monitor ($0.00)
Monitor: BenQ GW2750HM 27.0" Monitor ($0.00)
Total: $483.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-10 01:49 EST-0500

Jimrpg

Probably a simple mistake. Take a look at the troubleshooting guide in the OP.

You mean this?

• Check your manual for beep codes or debug LED display codes
• Shutoff your PC, switch off the PSU, and unplug the power cable. Wait 10s and hold the power button to drain the remaining power out of the system
• Check your power is on I and the correct Voltage (120V/240V)
• Check that you plugged in the extra motherboard power (4 or 8 pin)
• Reconnect all your cables (Data and Power)
• Try a single stick of memory in the first RAM slot (read your manual), then try the other
• Check for any loose screws or bits in the case and behind the motherboard
• Check that you installed the motherboard standoff screws (Some cases have these pre-installed)
• Remount the GPU on another PCI-E slot, or try no GPU
• As a last step assemble the bare minimum outside the case (PSU, CPU, Heatsink, 1 stick of RAM, nothing else)

I've tried all of it now. Except the last one. I'm not hearing anything from the PSU so its probably that? I'm at the office now and need to go home and swap the power supply...

Tabasco

I have a bad hard drive that I'm trying to take my files out of, but because of its condition, it's not being recognized on my PC anymore.

Is there anything I can do to at least save the files inside the drive?

Vertti

Hi.

Any idea why computer does this? Almost every time when I turn it on it goes to Windows screen and then restarts. Then it goes normally to log in screen. It always does this only one time max and not every time.

I've tried to check the event log but no help.

My PSU broke and it had this same problem. I was hoping that it would get fixed now when I have changed my PSU but no dice.

It's only a minor problem but still a bit annoying at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom