• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

luffeN

PCPartPicker part list: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/p3QL8d
Price breakdown by merchant: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/p3QL8d/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€264.00 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (€61.38 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€151.35 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€161.85 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Western Digital Red 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (€66.57 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: XFX PRO Black Edition 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€151.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €857.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-13 20:25 CET+0100

What do you guys think? I want a new gaming pc for about 1000 Euro. Sadly the RAM price is not listed, but should be another 80 - 90. I will reuse my GTX 970 and the Fractal Define XL.

Anywhere to tweak?

Charcoal

Does anyone here have Corsair AF140mm fans? I threw the extra colored rings away a long time ago, and I'm trying to find the other colors for my new build.

Red Hood

Banned
I've come accross these 2 systems that are around the same price. What is the better system?
4.0GHz Intel Core i7 4790K 4-Core CPU
ASRock Z97 Anniversary Motherboard
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB Graphics Card
Patriot Blast 120GB SSD
[AMD] 16GB Patriot 1600MHz DDR3
Vibox Predator Green Gaming Case
Antec H2O Kuhler 650 Liquid Cooling System
Vibox 600W 80Plus Certified PSU
24x DVD-RW Optical Drive

Or

4.5GHz Intel Core i5 6600K Quad Core CPU *Overclocked*
MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Motherboard
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 2G Graphics Card (MSI Gaming Edition)
Patriot Blast 240GB SSD
[INTEL] 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme - 2800MHz DDR4
NZXT H440 Mid-Tower Case Black / Red
Corsair Hydro H75 Liquid CPU Cooler
SuperFlower FX 650w Bronze PSU
External USB DVD Drive

I'd go with the first one. Even though the second one has a faster CPU and RAM, higher SSD, the first one has a significantly better graphics card, and assuming you're going to use it primarily for gaming. Rig #2 can be overkill in some aspects and you'd rather want a better GPU.

OraleeWey

I've come accross these 2 systems that are around the same price. What is the better system?
Patriot Blast 120GB SSD
24x DVD-RW Optical Drive

Or

Patriot Blast 240GB SSD
External USB DVD Drive
I would go for the first one with the GTX 970. Only because it is better than the 960. Also you can overclock the CPU to 4.5-4.7ghz. You may want to add an HDD though for whichever option you choose. Both SSD's are low on memory especially for a PC. Depending on your needs.

Take a look at the parental controls in Windows 10, there's a box you can check to only allow the child account to visit certain websites. I'm not sure if that option will block all websites if you don't list anything in the allowed websites section, but you could maybe just input one safe website you don't mind him going on. Otherwise, there are methods like a firewall or router settings to block all internet traffic to his PC except for steam.
Thanks. I will look into it properly when I have assembled the PC. I'm glad there's some parental control.

LilJoka

Comments on this build? I got everything there in my current except the mobo and the GPU, and the CPU I've already purchased but don't have yet. only added the old stuff to see wattage/compatibility.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/D3f2vK

But yeah, 100+ fps at 1080p/60fps andK for PS2 games and 60fps ultra at 1080p on current games should be achievable easily right?

Posted a few times here and you guys are always helpful so thanks in advance.

LilJoka

Comments on this build? I got everything there in my current except the mobo and the GPU, and the CPU I've already purchased but don't have yet. only added the old stuff to see wattage/compatibility.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/D3f2vK

But yeah, 100+ fps at 1080p/60fps andK for PS2 games and 60fps ultra at 1080p on current games should be achievable easily right?

Posted a few times here and you guys are always helpful so thanks in advance.

Get a Z series board if your getting a K series chip unless you are 100% never going to overclock. Otherwise H or B series board and non K chip.

Don't cheap out on the ram for a few quid, get 1600mhz CAS 9 not CAS 11 (that's actually like 1333mhz CAS9...).

Try get a seasonic g series power supply or coolermaster vs 550. These mid end corsair units are on the just OK side now, not like they used to be built.

Cruz

Neo Member
That looks like a Micro Center quote. Those replacement plans are for when if any components fail, MC will replace it for you rather than having to RMA the parts to the manufacturer. I guess it's nice to have for the convenience, but eh.

The assembly fee is a complete rip off though, better to just build it yourself or ask someone who's good with computers for help.

I would recommend 32GB (4x8GB) as well if you really want to future proof yourself.

Thank you guys for your help, just wanted anyones suggestion!!!

Athreous

Hmm, I'm having some problems with my gtx 680...

When I suplicate my monitors, so I can use my led tv as a second screen, the tv blinks from time to time...
Is it possible to fix it?

BIGWORM

That's too bad. Why not try to RMA them?

Trying to avoid shipping and restocking fees, which would be ~$15 less than what I bought them for. I got an old coworker that's showing interest. We'll see what happens next week when he supposedly has the money.

manfestival

I see. How does this look?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.71 @ Mac Mall)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $473.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-06 21:26 EST-0500
[/URL] covering both gaming and application tests.

question on tweaking the build you suggested. I was considering keeping my 600GB HDD(7200 but it is a little old and will eventually get replaced) and getting a SSD to add on to give me more space and better performance. Also I may be better off keeping my current RAM ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311 ) too. What are your thoughts? One factor will lower my overall cost and the other I believe will dramatically affect my performance till my tax return (which I will probably drop another 300+ on just a GPU). What are your thoughts on these moves?

Hey all, I'm planning to build a SFF PC that I can lug around as I travel a lot for work for several weeks at a time (consultant).

Could anyone help me with a small form factor build? Size and portability are important. I was looking at the Silverstone RVZ01B, but not committed to it.

Your Current Specs: N/A
Budget: £600 +/- £100
Main Use: Gaming 5 Light Gaming 4 General Use 2
Monitor Resolution: 1200p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 30 fps acceptable, 60fps ideally for older games. Able to play GTA V and FO4 at medium settings ideally.
Looking to reuse any parts?:No
When will you build?: By mid-January
Will you be overclocking?: Unlikely, as it's a small form factor build and won't have great thermal headroom/cooling I assume.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
My front audio jack is giving me a lot of crackling noises. I first noticed it in a game, but it happens in general.

I checked to make sure that the audio cable was correctly connected, and I even uninstalled the drives to see if the default windows ones would still have an issue.

I'm not sure what could be wrong.

I have the Asus Hero VIII and the Phanteks EVOLV ATX case.

I found a lot of crackling issues online, but no resolutions. ><

BIGWORM

My front audio jack is giving me a lot of crackling noises. I first noticed it in a game, but it happens in general.

I checked to make sure that the audio cable was correctly connected, and I even uninstalled the drives to see if the default windows ones would still have an issue.

Get any crackling via the direct I/O ports in the back of the sound card?

Coreda

Static interference? I experienced this with my own case (wrote a little about it in a guide last year). Some re-arrange their cabling and use electrical tape to insulate the audio board which fixes it in some cases. For me the rear audio out is still the only clean output I can achieve in my build.

axb2013

That board shouldn't have a problem like that. If suggestions already posted don't help, mobo should allow reassigning jacks, see if the issue persists by using the mic jack after you swap the jack functions.

Cruz

Neo Member
Can anyone lend his or her expertise on this build I am looking at?
Currently have listed
Intel Core I7 5820X,
Evga GTX 980 Ti Hybrid,
Samsung E 500GB 850 EVO SSD and 1TB WD
Corsair graphite 730t,
Windows 10,
Blue ray writer,

Question!!!’
4x8GB DDR4 2400 ram (is there a certain one anyone suggest I get?)
What heat sink would you recommend?
Asus X99Pro or Asus X99S?
For antivirus ESET or Malwarebytes for antivirus or other suggestion?
I was told to get an “EVGA 1000wW supernova” (I was told its over kill, which smaller power supply you guys suggest?)

kennah

Currently have listed
Intel Core I7 5820X,
Evga GTX 980 Ti Hybrid,
Corsair graphite 730t,
Windows 10,
Blue ray writer,

Question!!!’
I was told to get an “EVGA 1000wW supernova” (I was told its over kill, which smaller power supply you guys suggest?)

You didn't answer any of the questions we asked when you posted a page ago.

Cruz

Neo Member
You didn't answer any of the questions we asked when you posted a page ago.

Am sorry, the 130 and other misc charges was to have the store build it and put a warranty on some of those parts from Microcenter like the other person noticed. Not sure if i really need an anti virus and like you said about the power supply which one would you suggest?? ( Thank you in advance)

So I just bought a Gigabyte G1 980 Ti but I'm currently gaming on my Sony 47" W802A should I have waited until I went with a 4K Monitor/TV? I'm upgrading from a HD7950 and wanted to play the latest games at 60fps.

For reference I'm running an i5 3570K @ 4.2GHz and 8GB of RAM

hateradio

Get any crackling via the direct I/O ports in the back of the sound card?
No, the back seems fine.

That board shouldn't have a problem like that. If suggestions already posted don't help, mobo should allow reassigning jacks, see if the issue persists by using the mic jack after you swap the jack functions.
I plugged in the headphones into the front mic jack and noticed that the audio level is lower, but that there is no crackling. Maybe the amplification levels are really messed up for the headphone jack, but I don't see any settings for it.

Static interference? I experienced this with my own case (wrote a little about it in a guide last year). Some re-arrange their cabling and use electrical tape to insulate the audio board which fixes it in some cases. For me the rear audio out is still the only clean output I can achieve in my build.
I'll try to do that if it doesn't work.

knitoe

Currently have listed
Intel Core I7 5820X,
Evga GTX 980 Ti Hybrid,
Corsair graphite 730t,
Windows 10,
Blue ray writer,

Question!!!&#8217;
I was told to get an &#8220;EVGA 1000wW supernova&#8221; (I was told its over kill, which smaller power supply you guys suggest?)
Most people use Geil DDR4, reviews are good, performs well and relatively cheap.

For a X99 court, with the cooler, go top end air or AIO water cooler for max OC and lower temps. Which on Depends on your price range.

As for which MB, look at the features and decide which one you want.

Eset for antivirus. I would only run malwarebytes with something else.

If money is not tight, a 1000W PSU would be the best. PSU run best at around 50-60% load. With your setup, it would be around that range.

So I just bought a Gigabyte G1 980 Ti but I'm currently gaming on my Sony 47" W802A should I have waited until I went with a 4K Monitor/TV? I'm upgrading from a HD7950 and wanted to play the latest games at 60fps.

No way, that's a great pick up.

REMAINSILLY

I'm kinda worried now. Will the G3258 be able to play the latest games at 60 FPS? It's just a dual core, but I've seen so many people use it in their budget builds. Would it be able to play Witcher 3 at medium-high at an acceptable framerate? Did I fuck up?

Cruz

Neo Member
Most people use Geil DDR4, reviews are good, performs well and relatively cheap.

For a X99 court, with the cooler, go top end air or AIO water cooler for max OC and lower temps. Which on Depends on your price range.

As for which MB, look at the features and decide which one you want.

Eset for antivirus. I would only run malwarebytes with something else.

If money is not tight, a 1000W PSU is fine. PSU run best at around 50-60% load. With your setup, it would be around that range.

Thank you I still have some money to play with, What AIO water cooler you recc?
and ill go with Eset like you say!

Barzul

Patriot Blast 120GB SSD
24x DVD-RW Optical Drive

Or

Patriot Blast 240GB SSD
External USB DVD Drive

Definitely the first one i7 Haswell > i5 Skylake. And better GPU to boot.

knitoe

Thank you I still have some money to play with, What AIO water cooler you recc?
and ill go with Eset like you say!
Most people use Corsair 100i and above. Personally, I have the Corsair GTX 110i. There are other brands which are fine too. I suggest you do some googling for comparison reviews and select the one you like the most, performance vs noise vs looks...

Tesseract

Banned
You're making broad generalizations. Quite a lot of ASRock motherboards have favorable reviews. Average scores of 4/5 stars aren't bad, just avoid the ones at 3/5 stars or lower.

Do you count rebates toward the $100 price limit? Are you okay with going slightly over the $100 price limit? If you absolutely must spend under $100, then go with the MSI Z97 PC Mate ($78 after $10 rebate). It has a 4/5 rating on Newegg after 120 reviews and a rating of 4.4/5 on Amazon after 101 reviews. Otherwise if rebates count, then consider the slightly higher end ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ($93 after $20 rebate). It has a rating of 4/5 stars after 117 reviews on Newegg and more five star and fewer one star reviews than the MSI model.

thanks dude, think i'll go with the mate unless anyone objects

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K23BW70/?tag=neogaf0e-20

RGM79

question on tweaking the build you suggested. I was considering keeping my 600GB HDD(7200 but it is a little old and will eventually get replaced) and getting a SSD to add on to give me more space and better performance. Also I may be better off keeping my current RAM ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311 ) too. What are your thoughts? One factor will lower my overall cost and the other I believe will dramatically affect my performance till my tax return (which I will probably drop another 300+ on just a GPU). What are your thoughts on these moves?

Oh, if you already have a hard drive and 8GB of RAM, then you could save some money. No need to get a 3TB drive right away and no point in replacing a perfectly good set of 8GB RAM with another set of 8GB. Yes, your overall plans sound fine to me. How does this look? It's more expensive, but still costs about $505 and you get a 500GB SSD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($50.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $505.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-13 21:47 EST-0500

Hey all, I'm planning to build a SFF PC that I can lug around as I travel a lot for work for several weeks at a time (consultant).

Could anyone help me with a small form factor build? Size and portability are important. I was looking at the Silverstone RVZ01B, but not committed to it.

Your Current Specs: N/A
Budget: £600 +/- £100
Main Use: Gaming 5 Light Gaming 4 General Use 2
Monitor Resolution: 1200p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 30 fps acceptable, 60fps ideally for older games. Able to play GTA V and FO4 at medium settings ideally.
Looking to reuse any parts?:No
When will you build?: By mid-January
Will you be overclocking?: Unlikely, as it's a small form factor build and won't have great thermal headroom/cooling I assume.

By lugging around, do you mean you'd like to have a carrying handle? Silverstone has the ML08 which comes with a built in handle. How does this parts list look?

1 x HGST Travelstar 7K1000 1TB, SATA 6Gb/s (HTS721010A9E630/0J22423)
1 x Intel Core i5-4460, 4x 3.20GHz, boxed (BX80646I54460)
1 x Patriot signature Line DIMM 8GB, DDR3-1333, CL9 (PSD38G13332)
1 x Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Dual-X, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, lite retail (11242-02-20G)
1 x ASRock B85M-ITX (90-MXGPM0-A0UAYZ)
1 x SilverStone Milo ML08 black, carrying handle, mini-ITX (SST-ML08B-H)
1 x SilverStone Strider Series 600W SFX12V (SST-SX600-G)
Total of all best prices: £ 592.90

so i was planning on buying a mini atx pc with skylake. what the best mobo i could get? i just want it to be future proof, my last pc was a i7 860 that i bought in '09.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3128844&cm_re=lga_1151-_-13-128-844-_-Product will this be ok?
That's fine.

I don't quite understand your question, was there something you hoped to gain from waiting?

I'm kinda worried now. Will the G3258 be able to play the latest games at 60 FPS? It's just a dual core, but I've seen so many people use it in their budget builds. Would it be able to play Witcher 3 at medium-high at an acceptable framerate? Did I fuck up?

It's acceptable for TW3, but not great. While the G3258 has undeniable bang for buck, it can be a bottleneck in some games. It's difficult for me to play GTAV on my G3258 even when overclocked to 4.6GHz, for example.

hateradio

Regardless of my audio problem, here are some images of all the components, sans graphics card.

I couldn't find a video or actual images of the EVOVL ATX Galaxy Silver case, but as shown, it's basically the same aluminum color as the MacBook Pro.

I pretty much knew that it would look like that, so I'm okay with it. Although, I do sometimes think that maybe I should have gone with the darker gray one. Regardless, I got this case because it reminded me of the Mac Pros. :p

Finaika

Regardless of my audio problem, here are some images of all the components, sans graphics card.

I couldn't find a video or actual images of the EVOVL ATX Galaxy Silver case, but as shown, it's basically the same aluminum color as the MacBook Pro.

I pretty much knew that it would look like that, so I'm okay with it. Although, I do sometimes think that maybe I should have gone with the darker gray one. Regardless, I got this case because it reminded me of the Mac Pros. :p

Lovely case.

RGM79

I wouldn't be playing in Ultra. Probably medium-high. I will probably have to upgrade the CPU sooner than later, huh?

Depends on the games you play, of course. Turning down settings can help, but well, I forgot to say that judder and stuttering at first made GTAV borderline unplayable for my current temporary PC. I set a 30FPS lock on GTAV with Rivatuner and so far it's much smoother.

I don't quite understand your question, was there something you hoped to gain from waiting?

What I meant was, I'd heard from friends and from various forum posters that a 980Ti on my current setup (1080p HDTV) was overkill. Should I have gone with something like a 970/390X or just waited to pick up the 980 Ti when I went 1440p/4K? I can afford the 980Ti which is why I decided to pick it up.

Finaika

What I meant was, I'd heard from friends and from various forum posters that a 980Ti on my current setup (1080p HDTV) was overkill. Should I have gone with something like a 970/390X or just waited to pick up the 980 Ti when I went 1440p/4K? I can afford the 980Ti which is why I decided to pick it up.

980Ti is optimized for 4K, but its great for 1080p too.

RGM79

When they say overkill, they just mean it's extremely capable when it comes to running games at that resolution. Looking up your Sony TV, it's a 120Hz model which is fine. You'll be glad you have a GTX 980 Ti, with the right graphics settings you can set vsync or a 120FPS lock with Rivatuner and get buttery smooth graphics.

Damn, 980? I just have a 960. Oh Jesus. I FUCKED UP

You'll probably be fine on a GTX 960. I'm playing GTAV on the absolute lowest settings. The bottleneck is the processor, not the graphics card.

neto

So I finally saved enough money to replace some stuff of my old dead pc and I want to know if everything is compatible and what do you guys think, I am not planing on a beast pc, I am reusing my ssd, psu (400w), dvd drive and case, here is what I am planning to buy

intel i5 4590
msi z97 motherboard
crucial 8gb ram

I used to have a phenom II x4 920 with 4 gb of ram, motherboard died around 3 months ago so I decided to upgrade

RGM79

So I finally saved enough money to replace some stuff of my old dead pc and I want to know if everything is compatible and what do you guys think, I am not planing on a beast pc, I am reusing my ssd, psu (400w), dvd drive and case, here is what I am planning to buy

intel i5 4590
msi z97 motherboard
crucial 8gb ram

I used to have a phenom II x4 920 with 4 gb of ram, motherboard died around 3 months ago so I decided to upgrade

It'll work, but you could save some money. Do you prefer to order from Amazon only, or are other retailers okay? You didn't mention a graphics card, I assume you don't need one?

neto

It'll work, but you could save some money. Do you prefer to order from Amazon only, or are other retailers okay? You didn't mention a graphics card, I assume you don't need one?

Yeah I would rather use amazon only, also checked on newegg and the prices were the same (how much do you think I could save?), forgot about mentioning the graphics card, I already have one, is an old amd 6770, still does the job for me so I don't plan to replace it for now

manfestival

what are the best ways to get a cheap OS? dont really feel like droppin 100+ on windows 10 though I will eventually go to windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom