• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

Is this a good mechanical wireless keyboard:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UZZUFOQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you think there is a better sounding/feeling wireless mechanical keyboard for roughly the same price, please recommend. I also don't want something too gaming focused, you know - with neon pink lights and dragon fire breath coming out of it's ass every time I hit a keystroke. Something sensible for both gaming and professional use.

Wireless mechanical keyboards don't seem very common. I think that's the first one I've heard of. Is there a reason it needs to be wireless? Sorry, but I don't have any alternative suggestions.

That's a territory I'd not like to venture in. As for games, the games I want to play aren't incredibly intensive, and I'm really just using this until a decent Steam machine drops. I play stuff like SFV, Dragon's Dogma, and just a wide variety of games. I'm not looking to start pumping out the realistic graphics, but my CPU has been the bane of my existence since forever.

Unless you absolutely can't wait and you can get an FX-63xx or FX-83xx processor for very cheap, I wouldn't bother buying another AMD FX processor. You'd be replacing a weak processor with one that is just somewhat less weak.

manfestival

If you think there is a better sounding/feeling wireless mechanical keyboard for roughly the same price, please recommend. I also don't want something too gaming focused, you know - with neon pink lights and dragon fire breath coming out of it's ass every time I hit a keystroke. Something sensible for both gaming and professional use.
Looks like rapoo uses their own switches which are less known. I dont see anyone ever talking about their switches and it seems rare to come across these switches. There are even more proven switches at a similar price point that I am sure will provide what you are looking for in a keyboard.

unless wireless is absolutely necessary

Looks like rapoo uses their own switches which are less known. I dont see anyone ever talking about their switches and it seems rare to come across these switches. There are even more proven switches at a similar price point that I am sure will provide what you are looking for in a keyboard.

unless wireless is absolutely necessary

Yeah, I'd like it to be wireless. It just works so much better with my set up and environment. But you don't have any red flags with that mech., keyboard then at the least?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a 3570k and 970, but in a motherboard that doesn't allow overclocking - just twiddling around the edges (gigabyte z77n-wifi, mini ItX socket 1155)

Is it possible to swap out the CPU with a noticeably better one and if so, what can I go up to before my motherboard won't take it? Wondering if I can get a decent performance boost for VR. If not I'll hold on and do a full PC replacement later in the year, something still compact but supporting SLI to keep my options open

Garuda1One

hey guys, is there any PC troubleshoot thread here in neogaf ?

my PC suddenly restarts itself lately, not that frequent but enough to make me worry. I want to know whats wrong but i just dont know how to troubleshoot this because it runs fine - very fine - without hiccup until it suddenly restarts itself, no display driver error or any error message..

so i dont know whether it is my CPU, RAM, VGA or even my PSU..
or maybe even power sag..

any hint where should i start ?

ISee

I have a 3570k and 970, but in a motherboard that doesn't allow overclocking - just twiddling around the edges (gigabyte z77n-wifi, mini ItX socket 1155)

Is it possible to swap out the CPU with a noticeably better one and if so, what can I go up to before my motherboard won't take it? Wondering if I can get a decent performance boost for VR. If not I'll hold on and do a full PC replacement later in the year, something still compact but supporting SLI to keep my options open

I know that some gigabyte z77 models do not allow for voltage tweaking, but there should really be an option to at least adjust the boost core clock speed. With 'good' cooling it should be possible to go for ~4.3ghz (+500mhz) on an i5 3570k without having to increase voltage levels. An overclocked 3570k is just as fast an a 6600 (at stock speed of course; in gaming situations) so it is holding up, even today.

If you want to swap your CPU but not your mainboard, well the only option left is the 3770k. But honestly it's not worth it as you won't get a significant enough performance boost going from the 3570 to the 3770.

my PC suddenly restarts itself lately, not that frequent but enough to make me worry. I want to know whats wrong but i just dont know how to troubleshoot this because it runs fine - very fine - without hiccup until it suddenly restarts itself, no display driver error or any error message..

Is it restarting randomly while browsing the internet, watching a youtube video etc (normal use) or just while gaming (heavy use)?

A computer normally powers off/restarts to protect itself from overheating, because the power supply can't deliver enough juice during heavy load scenarios or because of malware or other software/driver related problems.

So if your PC restarts while you're gaming, then check temperatures and clean heatpipes, fans etc. If temperatures are fine then a faulty PSU could be the wrongdoer.

If your PC restarts during normal use, checking temperatures etc. is also recommended (just to be sure) and it of course could be the PSU too, but I'd start to check for malware and driver problems and other possibilities.

Wireless mechanical keyboards don't seem very common. I think that's the first one I've heard of. Is there a reason it needs to be wireless? Sorry, but I don't have any alternative suggestions.

Unless you absolutely can't wait and you can get an FX-63xx or FX-83xx processor for very cheap, I wouldn't bother buying another AMD FX processor. You'd be replacing a weak processor with one that is just somewhat less weak.

I was looking at the gains on different websites and it doesn't seem to be all that much. The issue is how much my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU and generally making life difficult. If it could just take the CPU usage down until November when I can buy a Steam machine, it'd be worth it for me.

longdi

Banned

http://www.ncix.com/detail/filco-majestouch-2-convertible-cherry-16-105269.htm

Filco is the king imo. They make one wireless version.
Quality key caps that feels really solid.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I want to do some gaming on this but I haven't decided on a GPU yet and will get one later.

• Intel Core i5 4690K
  • MSI Z97M-G43 Intel LGA1150 Z97
  • HyperX FURY Series 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMM
  • EVGA 600 W 80+ PC Power Supply Unit - White

This comes to about £320 which I think is good.

Things to note;
  • I have a 240gb SSD
  • I haven't decided on a case yet. I don't plan on overclocking atm but might in the future and want something that can take the Hyper 212+. I see the Arc Midi R2 in the OP, will that take the 212+?

Thoughts?

Dave_6

On a card that is considered to be good for overclocking (like the gigabyte g1) I like to take a good first step like +50mhz and then work my way up or down in reasonable steps (to save some time).

'Power Limit' is more or less a combination of wattage control and max. temperature control (if you do not separate them). So by increasing your power limit you allow your card to reach a higher temperature and to draw more juice/power before it has to throttle down. But I highly doubt that you have to increase it in the first place, so just setting it preemptively to 112% is a bit overkill. Just check your TDP (power consumption) with something like GPU-Z while benchmarking, if you're below 95% you're fine and increasing Power Limit isn't even necessary.

Listen to what was posted above. GPU overclocking does require Voltage increases if you want to really push the card. You can still get some decent increases without adding voltage, but the best OC is when you add voltage. Just monitor the temps and like the person above mentioned use various programs to test stability. Using Valley for 20min is really not enough time to really test.

Ultimately, it is the temps as you add voltage is what you are wanting to monitor as you run through various tests. Start by only adding to the Core, don't mess with memory until you find a stable Core OC at temps that are what you are comfortable with. Once you find a stable Core clock, then you work on memory.

I got up to +100 on the core and memory and stopped there for the time being. Played Crysis 3 for 30 mins and played Assetto Corsa for over an hour later with no issues. I ran Firestrike and this was the result:
23812484513_b8a7a9bc52_o.png
When I ran it before doing any overclocking it scored 10186. When I first got the card back in October '14 it scored ~8800 so driver updates must have helped a lot. I'm gonna still try bumping the memory up more and see what happens.

I'm an idiot and completely forgot to mention another issue I've been ignoring for a while now, which was actually one of the main reasons for spurring me to upgrade my PC in the first place. I've been lazy and haven't found out why my computer occasionally BSOD's on me when using browsers like firefox, mainly when opening tabs of videos/too many gifs (Never had the computer BSOD on me during anything else to my knowledge). Haven't determined if it's an issue of firefox eating up too much memory, my gfx card failing, overheating issue or something software related. Will go through the .dmp files and see what's really been going before doing anything else, unless you guys think it's better to first go through adding the RAM and switching OS's first to see if that makes any notable difference?

This really depends on what you do. But just for games 8gb ought to be enough for quite a while to come. Also, presumably you should be able to continue using your IIRC 4gb you have already. So that would total you 12 GB Ram, which - outside some very specialized things - will be enough for almost anything right now.

Think I'll stick with upping the RAM in that case, so long as it doesn't turn out I need to replace anything else for now.

I'm an idiot and completely forgot to mention another issue I've been ignoring for a while now, which was actually one of the main reasons for spurring me to upgrade my PC in the first place. I've been lazy and haven't found out why my computer occasionally BSOD's on me when using browsers like firefox, mainly when opening tabs of videos/too many gifs (Never had the computer BSOD on me during anything else to my knowledge). Haven't determined if it's an issue of firefox eating up too much memory, my gfx card failing, overheating issue or something software related. Will go through the .dmp files and see what's really been going before doing anything else, unless you guys think it's better to first go through adding the RAM and switching OS's first to see if that makes any notable difference?

Think I'll stick with upping the RAM in that case, so long as it doesn't turn out I need to replace anything else for now.

First thing I would do is run memtest86, could easily be defective ram. And I haven't done it in a while but checking the logs will definitely give you some clues.

Nachtmaer

If you were to build a new PC now, then going straight for 16GB wouldn't be a bad idea. Since you're still on something relatively old, going to 16 will probably be a waste of money. You won't be able to reuse it in the future either as we're moving to DDR4. You could argue that 16GB is still kinda overkill in general unless you use software that benefits from it. The jump from 4 to 8 will already be more than enough. That's just my opinion though.

As for your BSOD issue, like you said first thing to do is look up what the actual error was and go from there. If it ends up being a hardware issue, it's best to figure that out before doing a reinstall as the problem might persist. It could be a Firefox/graphics card driver issue which might get resolved with a clean install, but better make sure and all.

I've been noticing a few Firefox hangs here and there as well lately.

Etria

I got mine in on Thursday.

Have had 0 problems so far. BIOS is intuitive and very easy to use.

You can use the "Increase Performance 20%, 40%, etc etc" to easily overclock.

I am running my i5-6600k at 4.4Ghz stable (won't even boot at 4.5, so found my limit :) ). It tooks about 20 seconds to setup.

Great to hear! :) Can you access the BIOS straight from Windows?

ISee

I got up to +100 on the core and memory and stopped there for the time being. Played Crysis 3 for 30 mins and played Assetto Corsa for over an hour later with no issues. I ran Firestrike and this was the result:

When I ran it before doing any overclocking it scored 10186. When I first got the card back in October '14 it scored ~8800 so driver updates must have helped a lot. I'm gonna still try bumping the memory up more and see what happens.

13k (graphic score) is already good, most overclocked 970s seem to be are around 12.5k.
Just to give you an indication: On my Gigabyte G1 980 I'm able to achieve +120 mhz on the core and + 360 mhz on the memory (+50mv, 100% Power limit). And that's my personal maximum. Granted I can go higher for heaven but not for 3D Mark (stable) and games.

Still, I prefer to always aim lower than my maximum possible oc. I'm on +60 mhz clock speed and +275 mhz on the memory (+25mv) for 'normal gaming usage'. Temperature is around 60°C.

Btw is your i5 clocked at 4.4 or 4.5 ghz?

Donny

Sorta. It's not awful, but it can be a bottleneck in some places. If that's what you already have then try overclocking to get more out of it. If you're thinking of buying one, I don't recommend it.

OK, can you give me some examples of where the 8370 could be a bottleneck? I have one and I've just overclocked my CPU to 4.6 Ghz. It's reaching about 58c under load and have tested with prime95. Will it be enough for oculus rift?

Another question is, I have a spare 290 Tri-x OC edition lying around. Would it be worth it to crossfire this with my 290x?

My current specs are:

FX8370 @ 4.6Ghz
Asus crosshair V formula-Z
16GB RAM
290x Gaming edition 8GB
Corsair 750w 80+ gold

Dave_6

13k (graphic score) is already good, most overclocked 970s seem to be are around 12.5k.
Just to give you an indication: On my Gigabyte G1 980 I'm able to achieve +120 mhz on the core and + 360 mhz on the memory (+50mv, 100% Power limit). And that's my personal maximum. Granted I can go higher for heaven but not for 3D Mark (stable) and games.

Still, I prefer to always aim lower than my maximum possible oc. I'm on +60 mhz clock speed and +275 mhz on the memory (+25mv) for 'normal gaming usage'. Temperature is around 60°C.

Btw is your i5 clocked at 4.4 or 4.5 ghz?

I went up +10 with the voltage just because. The highest temp I've seen is 66 so I've got plenty of room to go still. Think I may leave the core where it is and keep bumping the memory up and see how it goes.

My i5 is at 4.4 ghz. I could go higher but I've got one core that likes to run 10 to 14 degrees hotter than the rest; guessing I've got an issue where the thermal paste isn't quite on one core enough. Or I've just got a not so good chip.

Zunja

I'm not the best with PC's but I'm trying to find a good one for my girlfriend. She wants something that will last a long time. Like I spent around 900 or so on mine and haven't upgraded it for 5 years still running great.

I was looking at options and saw this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221131 I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on it. Is it easy to upgrade? Works well? The usual stuff. She has around 800-900 dollars to spend on it.

I'm not the best with PC's but I'm trying to find a good one for my girlfriend. She wants something that will last a long time. Like I spent around 900 or so on mine and haven't upgraded it for 5 years still running great.

I was looking at options and saw this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221131 I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on it. Is it easy to upgrade? Works well? The usual stuff. She has around 800-900 dollars to spend on it.

Not a good choice.

What is she going to be using the PC for? Does she already have any peripherals? You may want to fill out the survey in the OP for her actually.

Zunja

Not a good choice.

What is she going to be using the PC for? Does she already have any peripherals? You may want to fill out the survey in the OP for her actually.

She wants to play some of the newer games, Witcher 3, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, etc. She currently only plays FF14, on her terrible laptop, but wants to try Blade and Soul too. Basically she wants any new game to come out for her to run it fine. I had some people suggest that too me, they work at a game company and a lot of them like it.

She isn't worried about keyboard, mouse, etc because she already has/knows what she wants. This is the money solely for the computer. I'm also not going to be there to build it for her and she does not want to build it herself. I'm sure we could work it out if it was a great deal though. That's why I was looking on newegg and Ibuypower.

luoapp

She wants to play some of the newer games, Witcher 3, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, etc. She currently only plays FF14, on her terrible laptop, but wants to try Blade and Soul too. Basically she wants any new game to come out for her to run it fine. I had some people suggest that too me, they work at a game company and a lot of them like it.

She isn't worried about keyboard, mouse, etc because she already has/knows what she wants. This is the money solely for the computer. I'm also not going to be there to build it for her and she does not want to build it herself. I'm sure we could work it out if it was a great deal though. That's why I was looking on newegg and Ibuypower.

The graphics cards(GTX 760 and 770) are both weak, in no way 5yr proof.

Cyriades

If you want to swap your CPU but not your mainboard, well the only option left is the 3770k. But honestly it's not worth it as you won't get a significant enough performance boost going from the 3570 to the 3770.

Would it be worth a upgrade from 2700k to 3770k?

Hey gaf I have a question about a problem with my tower. I turned it off earlier today and when I went to turn it back on all it would do is try and boot for three seconds, then turn off and try again. It would never get further than that. I was playing around with overclocking on the cpu. Any ideas what it could be?

ISee

Would it be worth a upgrade from 2700k to 3770k?

Nope.

I went up +10 with the voltage just because. The highest temp I've seen is 66 so I've got plenty of room to go still. Think I may leave the core where it is and keep bumping the memory up and see how it goes.

My i5 is at 4.4 ghz. I could go higher but I've got one core that likes to run 10 to 14 degrees hotter than the rest; guessing I've got an issue where the thermal paste isn't quite on one core enough. Or I've just got a not so good chip.

Could be the paste.
For the rest sounds like a plan. have fun. :)

Hey gaf I have a question about a problem with my tower. I turned it off earlier today and when I went to turn it back on all it would do is try and boot for three seconds, then turn off and try again. It would never get further than that. I was playing around with overclocking on the cpu. Any ideas what it could be?

Maybe:
You clocked your CPU a bit too high without adjusting core voltage.
Resetting your bios should help in this case.

Maybe something went wrong while you went OC.
Try removing the CMOS battery and the power cord and reinsert both after 1 min, try again.

You were both right, I pulled the CMOS and reset the board. That was stupid of me. Thank god consumer electronics are pretty damn resilient. Everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks to both of you.

LilJoka

You were both right, I pulled the CMOS and reset the board. That was stupid of me. Thank god consumer electronics are pretty damn resilient. Everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks to both of you.

If you fail to boot a few times, and just keep restarting, the bios will recognise it most times and automatically reboot again and load defaults.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Hey everyone, I'm looking to do a pretty big upgrade from my i7 2600k rig and need some help finding the most future-proof processor. I'm hoping to get at least 3-4 years out of my next processor so i'm willing to spend some cash and i'd also like to stick with intel. I'm currently looking at the i7 6700k, is that a worthy upgrade or is there a big jump coming in the future?

If my board takes DDR-4 does that mean that i'm going to have to buy new RAM or is it backwards compatible?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to do a pretty big upgrade from my i7 2600k rig and need some help finding the most future-proof processor. I'm hoping to get at least 3-4 years out of my next processor so i'm willing to spend some cash and i'd also like to stick with intel. I'm currently looking at the i7 6700k, is that a worthy upgrade or is there a big jump coming in the future?

If my board is takes DDR-4 does that mean that i'm going to have to buy new RAM or is it backwards compatible?
The 6700k or 5820k are good options. You'll need DDR4 ram for either of them.

The 6700k will give you the best single threaded performance and it overclocks very well. The 5820k had two extra cores, which is nice, but it generally won't OC as much. You'll have to see what's most important to you.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Yeah, I'd like it to be wireless. It just works so much better with my set up and environment. But you don't have any red flags with that mech., keyboard then at the least?
Wireless are quite uncommon, but you can always check out the dedicated MKB thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458496

The 6700k or 5820k are good options. You'll need DDR4 ram for either of them.

The 6700k will give you the best single threaded performance and it overclocks very well. The 5820k had two extra cores, which is nice, but it generally won't OC as much. You'll have to see what's most important to you.
Also the 5820k requires more juice to power it. :p

I don't believe so.

Also, if you plan on using XMP to overclock your memory, update to beta BIOS F6e.

I bought 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX to with my system up it wouldn't boot with XMP enabled. It would only run at the stock 2133Mhz.

The latest beta BIOS doesn't mention any additional XMP compatability, however each previous release does. So I assumed this one would as well.. and what do you know. I'm now stable running 3000Mhz

RGM79

I was looking at the gains on different websites and it doesn't seem to be all that much. The issue is how much my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU and generally making life difficult. If it could just take the CPU usage down until November when I can buy a Steam machine, it'd be worth it for me.

Well, there's not much you can do then, outside of trying to play at the lowest settings you can go to get games to run as fast and smoothly as you can.

Does the PC restart when you're doing anything intensive (playing games, etc) or is it just random? Can you tell us your PC's specs?

I want to do some gaming on this but I haven't decided on a GPU yet and will get one later.

• Intel Core i5 4690K
  • MSI Z97M-G43 Intel LGA1150 Z97
  • HyperX FURY Series 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMM
  • EVGA 600 W 80+ PC Power Supply Unit - White

This comes to about £320 which I think is good.

Things to note;
  • I have a 240gb SSD
  • I haven't decided on a case yet. I don't plan on overclocking atm but might in the future and want something that can take the Hyper 212+. I see the Arc Midi R2 in the OP, will that take the 212+?

Thoughts?

How much are you paying for each part? The Arc Midi R2 will definitely be large enough to accommodate the Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler. The cooler is 160mm tall while the case allows for coolers up to 180mm height.

You can't change BIOS settings from within Windows as it's separate from the OS. I believe there's a Gigabyte utility program that you can install that will restart the PC for you and go straight into the BIOS menu, though. I forget what it's called, but it should be available from here.

Ragona

Are we expecting big jumps on the cpu front this year? Stil rocking my good old 2500k, but kinda tempted to jump to an I7 this year.

Zunja

Hmm yeah that first one is looking worse and worse. Anyone know anything about the Revolt 2 the 899 model, http://www.ibuypower.com/Product/Revolt2

I'd like to build one for her but I'm very casual at PC building and don't have a ton of time to learn it. I know with this revolt I'm paying a little extra for the colors but TBH she'll love that and part of getting a pc is the looks.

what's a reasonable GPU and CPU for future proof upper mid experience?
i don't need the best of the best, just running PC games at 60fps in 1080p for the next 2-3 years would be fine.

ram,mainboard and ssd i can figure out.

If you fail to boot a few times, and just keep restarting, the bios will recognise it most times and automatically reboot again and load defaults.

It did this once and then the bios picked it up. My heart was racing for a moment.

You're welcome :), I had that problem as well so I knew that would fix it.

Its real easy to break things, I forgot about that. Need to go read up some more on CORRECT OC'ing lol.

what's a reasonable GPU and CPU for future proof upper mid experience?
i don't need the best of the best, just running PC games at 60fps in 1080p for the next 2-3 years would be fine.

ram,mainboard and ssd i can figure out.

Just this week I built a 6600k with 16 gigs of ram and a 390 with the same idea as you, a top tier mid, low high end machine that works well at 1080p. Here is what I built:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($115.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($308.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.58 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer V246HQL Cbd 60Hz 23.6" Monitor ($110.67 @ Amazon)
Total: $1305.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-17 16:52 EST-0500

Just this week I built a 6600k with 16 gigs of ram and a 390 with the same idea as you, a top tier mid, low high end machine that works well at 1080p. Here is what I built:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($115.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($308.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer V246HQL Cbd 60Hz 23.6" Monitor ($110.67 @ Amazon)
Total: $1305.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-17 16:52 EST-0500

haha funny enough i already had your build in my shopping cart since it looked fine but i wasn't sure if it was too much.
sadly i have a x2 price multiplier in my country.

haha funny enough i already had your build in my shopping cart since it looked fine but i wasn't sure if it was too much.
sadly i have a x2 price multiplier in my country.

Thats pretty funny! Ouch at the price though, sorry about that. The way I look at this machine is that its future proofed for the most part for a few years and if I want to in 6-18 months I can get a new gpu.

RGM79

OK, can you give me some examples of where the 8370 could be a bottleneck? I have one and I've just overclocked my CPU to 4.6 Ghz. It's reaching about 58c under load and have tested with prime95. Will it be enough for oculus rift?

Another question is, I have a spare 290 Tri-x OC edition lying around. Would it be worth it to crossfire this with my 290x?

My current specs are:

FX8370 @ 4.6Ghz
Asus crosshair V formula-Z
16GB RAM
290x Gaming edition 8GB
Corsair 750w 80+ gold

For some recent games like TW3 it's just fine and is on par with older i5 processors, but AMD FX falls behind in other games like Fallout 4 (the octo core FX-9570 is lesser or equal to recent generation dual core i3 processors). That said, Bethesda's engine isn't the best optimized engine. If you're aiming for a 60FPS average framerate, you'll probably be able to achieve it in most games and overclocking does help.

However, another issue is frametime. Durante talks about frametimes and game smoothness here in this article. Frametime is important for oculus rift as it can influence how smooth the game's framerate is, and the Oculus Rift consists of twin 90Hz screens. There's this Digital Foundry video compares several generations of i5 processors with the FX-8350 and there's a frametime graph in the lower right. The FX-8350's frametimes are drawn in yellow and are in general the highest of them all, going as high as 40ms occasionally. There's also this Techreport review of the FX-8350 including frametime comparisons for games from back then. Your PC might be good enough, but there are a few concerning factors. It'll need to deliver a high enough framerate and be smooth at delivering the frames in time as well.

As for crossfiring an R9 290 with an R9 290X, AMD says it's not compatible. However, there's anecdotal mentions on various forums that it is possible. I have no idea what running an R9 290X with an R9 290 entails, though. I would not recommend it anyway, your power supply might not be enough to handle it. A single R9 290X draws around 275~300 watts, and the R9 290 would draw around 250~275 watts. Your overclocked FX-8370 might draw up to 200 watts by itself. Going by those figures, I'd expect your 750 watt PSU to be stressed right up to its limit.

luoapp

Hmm yeah that first one is looking worse and worse. Anyone know anything about the Revolt 2 the 899 model, http://www.ibuypower.com/Product/Revolt2

I'd like to build one for her but I'm very casual at PC building and don't have a ton of time to learn it. I know with this revolt I'm paying a little extra for the colors but TBH she'll love that and part of getting a pc is the looks.

GTX 950 2GB is still very limiting, even now.

Check out this deal, HP Envy 750se Core i7-6700 Gaming Desktop for $925.39

http://slickdeals.net/f/8437501-hp-...-970-win-7-925-40-free-shipping?src=catpagev2

Specs:
Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core CPU
16GB DDR4 Memory
2TB Hard Drive (7200rpm)
4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
SuperMulti DVD Burner
500W Power supply
Windows 7 Professional 64

Etria

I don't believe so.

Also, if you plan on using XMP to overclock your memory, update to beta BIOS F6e.

I bought 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX to with my system up it wouldn't boot with XMP enabled. It would only run at the stock 2133Mhz.

The latest beta BIOS doesn't mention any additional XMP compatability, however each previous release does. So I assumed this one would as well.. and what do you know. I'm now stable running 3000Mhz

You can't change BIOS settings from within Windows as it's separate from the OS. I believe there's a Gigabyte utility program that you can install that will restart the PC for you and go straight into the BIOS menu, though. I forget what it's called, but it should be available from here.

Thanks for the tips! Will keep this in mind. I still haven't placed my order yet, so will be a while before I can fiddle around with the settings.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
How much are you paying for each part? The Arc Midi R2 will definitely be large enough to accommodate the Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler. The cooler is 160mm tall while the case allows for coolers up to 180mm height.

Intel Core i5 4690K - £170.29
MSI Z97M-G43 Intel LGA1150 Z97 - £79.44
HyperX FURY Series 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMM - £35.93
EVGA 600 W 80+ PC Power Supply Unit - White - £34.98

Worth noting that I live in Northern Ireland and most sites that have free UK shipping charge an extra £12-15 to ship here so Amazon usually works out cheaper.

Since it's used, can you return it or get it RMA'd?

I could probably get it RMA'd. Trouble is, it could just as easily be a driver or GPU issue. Especially since the menus don't suffer the same issue. Also, the unit is almost perfect barring this occasional issue. With the QC these are known for, I'd be liable to end up with something much, much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom