• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxeMan

I'm using the Acer G227HQL which is a 21.5" LCD IPS monitor for work and I really like it.

I've also taken it home and played GTA V (with my 970) on it and works really well.

I suppose the only problem then is that it has 1 VGA (D-sub) input and 1 DVI-I input meaning you can't have two of the same monitor given your 970. Perhaps you can find the Acer G227HQL version with HDMI which might exist. I think I saw it somewhere.

You might also have the same problem with other monitors given a lot of the smaller monitors may not have Display Ports.

Edit: If you do get that monitor you should play it safe and confirm that it does indeed have a HDMI port with the store, as the official website says it includes HDMI but mine does not. Link

Cheers.

So it looks like I'll need to get bigger monitors then. That's a pain but I should be able to re-arrange a few things.

Any ideas for bigger monitors to pair with a GTX 970. I don't know much about 1080 or 1440 so looking for advice there too

The office PC I built with a budget Intel Dual Core G3250, 8gb Ram, Sandisk SSD Plus takes less than 5 seconds to boot up. Sometimes it feels like 2 seconds. Its kinda insane. I doubt its CPU - SSDs are just amazing.

I'm about to build another couple office PCs but without SSDs, its just for the clerk to use. I'll report back the difference in windows loading times.

If I can add my 2 cents. Like others have said, go skylake! You'll need to change motherboard as well. (and I think you can choose DDR4 or DDR3 but my advice is to go DDR4 anyway)

16gb Ram is a lot but if you don't mind the extra cost, some people have experienced less problems with certain open world games with 16gb ram as opposed to 8gb.

Get at least a 600W PSU. I got 550W with my GTX970 and a GTX 980 Ti/ Titan X requires a 600W should you ever want to upgrade. The new Pascal cards may or may not need more power (would be good for an Oculus Rift)

Consider Microsoft Software Swap on Reddit to get Windows 10 to save a little if you wish.

Thanks for the suggestions. So my build is fine as is, but I would need a new motherboard IF I chose to go for a Skylake CPU instead?

If u ever go Skylake u need a socket 1151 motherboard. The H97 is a socket 1150 motherboard. :)

Alright, thanks for the clarification. I don't plan on going Skylake any time soon though, the i5-4460 seems like it would serve my purposes just fine. The H97 should be compatible with it, right?

Anyone know of a good Blu-Ray drive (burner) with Lightscribe technology? There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice and reviews are kinda hard to find.

cHinzo

Alright, thanks for the clarification. I don't plan on going Skylake any time soon though, the i5-4460 seems like it would serve my purposes just fine. The H97 should be compatible with it, right?

Yep, they're compatible, although u might as well have gone Skylake since it should cost almost similar.

Right.. GAF.. Monitor advice time. I've narrowed my monitor choices down to three:

These are all budget IPS monitors, but in order to decide on one, I need information on a few matters:

1. i2369Vm and VX2363SMHL-W use LG's 23" frameless AH-IPS panel which gets a lot of praise, but the i2476 uses BOE's 23,6" IPS-ADS which apparently has poorer contrast and color accuracy. What do I choose here? Should I go for quality or an extra .6"?

2. The i2369Vm has PWM. The i2476Vwm and VX2363SMHL-W are Flicker Free. Is Flicker Free the bees knees? Do I really want a Flicker Free panel, or is PWM a non issue?

3. The VX2363SMHL-W has Blue Light Filter. Is this a useful feature that would make an otherwise ugly ass white plastic monitor worthwhile?

4. There are even cheaper versions of the AOC models that have only D-Sub and DVI-D inputs. Would I lose much by just skipping the Display port and HDMI altogether and settling for DVI-D for about 15-20% cheaper? They are all budget monitors after all..

Right.. GAF.. Monitor advice time. I've narrowed my monitor choices down to three:

These are all budget IPS monitors, but in order to decide on one, I need information on a few matters:

1. i2369Vm and VX2363SMHL-W use LG's 23" frameless AH-IPS panel which gets a lot of praise, but the i2476 uses BOE's 23,6" IPS-ADS which apparently has poorer contrast and color accuracy. What do I choose here? Should I go for quality or an extra .6"?

2. The i2369Vm has PWM. The i2476Vwm and VX2363SMHL-W are Flicker Free. Is Flicker Free the bees knees? Do I really want a Flicker Free panel, or is PWM a non issue?

3. The VX2363SMHL-W has Blue Light Filter. Is this a useful feature that would make an otherwise ugly ass white plastic monitor worthwhile?

4. There are even cheaper versions of the AOC models that have only D-Sub and DVI-D inputs. Would I lose much by just skipping the Display port and HDMI altogether and settling for DVI-D for about 15-20% cheaper? They are all budget monitors after all..

I would go for the AOC i2369Vm. Seems to have the fewest problems and .6" really isn't a big deal to lose out on.

Massa

Are there any tech PC sites you guys follow? I always thought Anandtech was among the best but seeing this published as an actual article today was eye-opening.

If you have Amazon Prime they have this machine on sale.

List Price: $2,999.99
Price: $1,881.13 Free Shipping for Prime Members
You Save: $1,118.86 (37%)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard: Intel Z97 Express Chipset
RAM: 32GB DDR3
SSD: 128GB SSD
HHD: 2TB HDD
Graphics: 2xNVIDIA GeForce GTX970 4GB
24X DVD±RW Dual-Layer Drive
Audio: Up to 7.1-channel
Gigabit LAN
Liquid Cooled
Fan Control Panel
Gaming KBD& MSE
Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower Case w/750 Watt Power Supply

I haven't seen anything on Amazon with a pre-built 2 GTX970s before. PCGaf, is this much of a deal?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know of a good Blu-Ray drive (burner) with Lightscribe technology? There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice and reviews are kinda hard to find.

Ha, I had no idea lightscribe was even a thing still. I thought that died out ages ago.

RGM79

Gigabit LAN
Liquid Cooled
Fan Control Panel
Gaming KBD& MSE

I haven't seen anything on Amazon with a pre-built 2 GTX970s before. PCGaf, is this much of a deal?

Huge ripoff.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Stealth 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Z400s 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($41.73 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($303.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($303.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Fan Controller: Aerocool F6XT Fan Controller ($11.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Thermaltake Commander Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Laser Mouse ($19.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1522.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-18 12:53 EST-0500

That parts list uses identical parts where possible and substitutes in the cheapest equivalent for the parts that weren't specified in detail (e.g., Corsair H50 for "Liquid Cooled"). Most of these parts I wouldn't necessarily recommend, this is more of an example to show you how much a computer with equal specs could cost.

Huge ripoff.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.75 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($303.88 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Thermaltake Commander Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Laser Mouse ($19.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1223.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-18 12:18 EST-0500

That parts list uses identical parts where possible and substitutes in the cheapest equivalent for the parts that weren't specified in detail (e.g., Corsair H50 for "Liquid Cooled"). Most of these parts I wouldn't necessarily recommend, this is more of an example to show you how much a computer with equal specs could cost.
It seems in all cases it's so much cheaper to build your own. Thanks for the list.

Huge ripoff.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.75 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($303.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1223.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-18 12:18 EST-0500

Don't forget that the Amazon system has an SLI setup. Still not a good value or component list, of course.

Had to delay using memtest86 since we didn't have any spare CD's or usb drives around, but found out about Windows Memory Diagnostic. And yep, it detected a hardware problem right away. So that'll definitely get some replacing this week.

As far as what the .dmp files revealed it seems half of them list "atikmpag.sys" as the driver that caused the BSOD, and the other half by "ntoskrnl.exe", "ntkrnlpa.exe" and "halmacpi.dll" equally. So I guess those'll have to be addressed too. If anyone would want more info I can zip the .dmp files and link them to you if you'd like.

Mikeside

GPU temp is fine. What does your cpu get to at full load? Seems a bit high.

So I've put my new Noctua fans on the H80i radiator & moved to the top front slot, got 2 140mm on the top of the case and one on the bottom-front, then moved a 120mm to the back of the case (for now, I'll replace it with the other 140mm when I have the H100i GTX using both front bays.

CPU idle now sits around 39 degrees, under load (Prime95 default test), I'm getting 70 degrees after about a minute. The fans go crazy, and it slowly climbs. It got to 80 after about 3 minutes, where I stopped the test.

GPU idles at 40 degrees now. I ran FurMark 1440p test which pushed it up to about 63, but very slowly.

So I've put my new Noctua fans on the H80i radiator & moved to the top front slot, got 2 140mm on the top of the case and one on the bottom-front, then moved a 120mm to the back of the case (for now, I'll replace it with the other 140mm when I have the H100i GTX using both front bays.

CPU idle now sits around 39 degrees, under load (Prime95 default test), I'm getting 70 degrees after about a minute. The fans go crazy, and it slowly climbs. It got to 80 after about 3 minutes, where I stopped the test.

GPU idles at 40 degrees now. I ran FurMark 1440p test which pushed it up to about 63, but very slowly.
I believe prime95 is not a good test for Haswell due to some special AVX(?) instructions that raise the temp a lot.

I haven't used it, but maybe try AIDA instead?

LilJoka

Had to delay using memtest86 since we didn't have any spare CD's or usb drives around, but found out about Windows Memory Diagnostic. And yep, it detected a hardware problem right away. So that'll definitely get some replacing this week.

As far as what the .dmp files revealed it seems half of them list "atikmpag.sys" as the driver that caused the BSOD, and the other half by "ntoskrnl.exe", "ntkrnlpa.exe" and "halmacpi.dll" equally. So I guess those'll have to be addressed too. If anyone would want more info I can zip the .dmp files and link them to you if you'd like.

Those DLLs wouldnt have caused it, they are just a by product of dead RAM, whatever was being accessed at that time would have been blamed.

That's reassuring to hear.

Went ahead and ordered. Will take until Wed to arrive so I have time to double check here and there, but I think I'm ready to go forward.

Wanna say thanks again to all you guys for your help.

forrest

formerly nacire
Well I finished my build some time ago, but have been really lazy about posting pictures. I finally took some shots today and I'll apologize in advanced about the pic quality, you deserve better GAF :D

Anyhow here is the build:

Case: Ncase M1
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA2011-3 Narrow Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan x5

Side with Fans
sidefanse3ofo.jpg

Side without Fans
sidemarx7.jpg

Other Side
sidebacklfr3i.jpg

Back
back7spvw.jpg

topq9obp.jpg

PSU Cable Close Up
psuclosefdom8.jpg

Overall, I'm incredibly happy with it. It idles extremely quiet despite having 5 fans. The psu is the most noticeable part as it has a very faint "chatter" while idling. Temps are good even while on load though I haven't done any true benchmarking aside from just testing that nothing was out of place after initial build.

Next build is for my wife. Ordered everything for a skylake NUC build that I'll show my wife how to put together. She will use it with a new 27 inch ultrasharp Dell for web, movies, music and Sims 3. Should be fun and a good starting place for her first attempt at putting a pc together.

M.D

I'll ask here since this seems like the most appropriate thread for it

Has anyone ever had a problem with Chrome suddenly not working? I used it on Friday and it worked perfectly fine, then when I opened it again my antivirus warned me that there's some malware related attack and it wanted me to block all the communications from the program. I wasn't sure what was the issue and had to leave, so I just clicked the exit button without taking any action.
When I try to use Chrome now it goes to an auto:blank page and does not work. I have looked in my antivirus/firewall program and it does not appear to have blocked communications from Chrome.

I've searched about this issue and this thread from back in '09 has people talking about the same issue, getting a malware warning and the browser not working afterwards. I'm almost done with a scan and nothing has been found so far, and I've also downloaded designed specifically for malware but it hasn't found anything yet either.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/4v2AkepxuWY

I'm currently going through the suggested solutions and this popped up

If you tried everything,
if it doesn't open any pages, even "about:version",
even when you used Ghost to restore to an old system state,
and even worse if, there's no viruses reported by most antivirus,
then most likely you're affected by a MBR virus or corrupted driver modules (those files in %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys), which are also called 'rootkit' virus that have stealth code inside.
Try to use 'mbrcheck.exe' or 'RKUnhooker.exe' to scan them.

I've just solved this problem recently, and easily fixed the problem by using windows 7 recovery CD to boot and run 'bootrec /fixMBR' and/or replace the corrupted driver files. Hope your windows is not as sick as this yet.. Good luck.

Is anyone familiar with this type of malware?

LilJoka

I'll ask here since this seems like the most appropriate thread for it

Has anyone ever had a problem with Chrome suddenly not working? I used it on Friday and it worked perfectly fine, then when I opened it again my antivirus warned me that there's some malware related attack and it wanted me to block all the communications from the program. I wasn't sure what was the issue and had to leave, so I just clicked the exit button without taking any action.
When I try to use Chrome now it goes to an auto:blank page and does not work. I have looked in my antivirus/firewall program and it does not appear to have blocked communications from Chrome.

I've searched about this issue and this thread from back in '09 has people talking about the same issue, getting a malware warning and the browser not working afterwards. I'm almost done with a scan and nothing has been found so far, and I've also downloaded designed specifically for malware but it hasn't found anything yet either.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/4v2AkepxuWY

I'm currently going through the suggested solutions and this popped up

Is anyone familiar with this type of malware?

I've cleaned a few machines that malwarebytes anti malware failed to fix with a trial of Norton AV which is surprisingly good these days. Give that a go.

Otherwise something this deep warrants a reinstall.

M.D

I've cleaned a few machines that malwarebytes anti malware failed to fix with a trial of Norton AV which is surprisingly good these days. Give that a go.

Otherwise something this deep warrants a reinstall.

I'm currently scanning with a malware tool by ESET and it found one potential threat "Win32/PrcView potentially unsafe application". If that doesn't fix the problem I'll give the tool you mentioned a go.

Do you think rolling to a backup before the malware would help?

Edit: I've also seen this mentioned in a couple of places

http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/TDSSKiller

So I'm finally building my new PC.

As for Graphics. I'll be playing mostly on my TV. I'm aiming for 1080p 60fps with high settings in most games.

Should i go for a GTX 960 for 219 Euros?

LilJoka

I'm currently scanning with a malware tool by ESET and it found one potential threat "Win32/PrcView potentially unsafe application". If that doesn't fix the problem I'll give the tool you mentioned a go.

Do you think rolling to a backup before the malware would help?

Edit: I've also seen this mentioned in a couple of places

http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/TDSSKiller

Never roll back since most malware installs itself in the recovery files. In fact I always delete all the system recovery files after malware attacks by disabling it then after cleaned up I re enable it.

RGM79

So I'm finally building my new PC.

As for Graphics. I'll be playing mostly on my TV. I'm aiming for 1080p 60fps with high settings in most games.

Should i go for a GTX 960 for 219 Euros?
New games like Witcher 3 and older games. It's from Zotac.

You'll want a GTX 970 instead of a GTX 960 if you want to hit higher settings and 60FPS in most newer games. Here's Digital Foundry's article on TW3, they recommend the GTX 960 for their "console equivalent settings" which were mostly medium settings except for hairworks turned off and water/textures settings on high.

Did anyone here buy any extended warranty on your parts? I usually don't buy into any of those but I was wondering if it would be worth on your gpu.

LilJoka

Did anyone here buy any extended warranty on your parts? I usually don't buy into any of those but I was wondering if it would be worth on your gpu.

Never have done so. Parts rarely fail these days. Most GPUs have a decent warranty and if your going to swap it within 2 years I wouldn't bother.

Ya it has a decent warranty and I do plan on switching out within two years at max, really besides that and adding an ssd i don't see much reason to have to upgrade any other part for awhile.

XFX

Well extended warranties for GPU's are not necessary, never had problems with them within warranty.

Gigabit LAN
Liquid Cooled
Fan Control Panel
Gaming KBD& MSE

If you want to buy a pc prebuilt wait and see if hp does anymore insane deals. They were selling systems with a 4790 and a 980ti for less than a grand after rebate. I would check slickdeals often to see if they pop up again.

Awesome I didn't think so, but now I'm just trying to be over protective of my parts. Its just money and/or time if something breaks and I have to RMA it.

I know, the RMA process can be pretty annoying, can take up to 4 or 5 weeks until you get back your stuff.
But today's hardware isn't that problematic. I can understand your point though.

Jesb

Hope I can determine here if I need a new pc or not. My pic died on me a while ago and I'm trying to see again if I could figure out the problem. I tried unplugging everything and plugging it back in. When I power up the system there is no beep and there is nothing on the screen. The fans are working the disc drive works, does this rule out a bad psu most likely?

Hope I can determine here if I need a new pc or not. My pic died on me a while ago and I'm trying to see again if I could figure out the problem. I tried unplugging everything and plugging it back in. When I power up the system there is no beep and there is nothing on the screen. The fans are working the disc drive works, does this rule out a bad psu most likely?

Could be a bad PSU, RAM or CPU could be defective, hard to say. Do you have a GPU installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom