• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garuda1One

Is it restarting randomly while browsing the internet, watching a youtube video etc (normal use) or just while gaming (heavy use)?

A computer normally powers off/restarts to protect itself from overheating, because the power supply can't deliver enough juice during heavy load scenarios or because of malware or other software/driver related problems.

So if your PC restarts while you're gaming, then check temperatures and clean heatpipes, fans etc. If temperatures are fine then a faulty PSU could be the wrongdoer.

If your PC restarts during normal use, checking temperatures etc. is also recommended (just to be sure) and it of course could be the PSU too, but I'd start to check for malware and driver problems and other possibilities.

Does the PC restart when you're doing anything intensive (playing games, etc) or is it just random? Can you tell us your PC's specs?

Its very random, sometimes when playing games, browsing, or even when its idle / downloading something..

my pc's specs :

Asus Maximux VII Hero
Core i7 4770K 3.50Ghz Not overclocked
16GB
GTX 980
Seasonic Platinum 760 W

I did my PC major cleaning last november, so it was about 3 month agos.. Looked inside the case just now, it sure is dusty but doesnt seems to need any cleaning. Did a full virus scan using kaspersky last week, nothing alarming.

it restarts itself for around once in 2 or 3 days, sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. It runs normally for about 3 days (normal usage hour, not 24/7) before the last self restarts which is 2 days ago..

hmmm.. How to spot if its a PSU problem ?

knitoe

Its very random, sometimes when playing games, browsing, or even when its idle / downloading something..

my pc's specs :

Asus Maximux VII Hero
Core i7 4770K 3.50Ghz Not overclocked
16GB
GTX 980
Seasonic Platinum 760 W

I did my PC major cleaning last november, so it was about 3 month agos.. Looked inside the case just now, it sure is dusty but doesnt seems to need any cleaning. Did a full virus scan using kaspersky last week, nothing alarming.

it restarts itself for around once in 2 or 3 days, sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. It runs normally for about 3 days (normal usage hour, not 24/7) before the last self restarts which is 2 days ago..

hmmm.. How to spot if its a PSU problem ?

To check temps, run HWinfo, link in OP. I would check for MB bios update. Also, firmware update if using SSD. Then, test your ram with memtest. Lastly, I would look at trying a different PSU.

Onemic

I want to replace my PC for the Oculus Rift. Is it better to wait until closer to the release date of the rift to buy the parts or does it not matter(my Rift order is slated to ship in July)

If I get the parts now I'm looking at:

i5-6600
GTX 970
16GB RAM
GIGABYTE Z170-HD3P

I want to replace my PC for the Oculus Rift. Is it better to wait until closer to the release date of the rift to buy the parts or does it not matter(my Rift order is slated to ship in July)

If I get the parts now I'm looking at:

i5-6600
GTX 970
16GB RAM
GIGABYTE Z170-HD3P
Do you want to game in the meantime? Do you already have a decent system?

If it's only for the Rift then wait.

Tesseract

Banned
i got two extra fans, i have two open side slots and two open top slots.

opinions re: placement and intake v. outtake?

maybe one on each, pushing and pulling?

Onemic

Do you want to game in the meantime? Do you already have a decent system?

If it's only for the Rift then wait.

I'd only be interested in playing Street Fighter V and Star Citizen. My current rig is this:

FX-8320
R9 270
12gb RAM

Is there a chance of new cpu's and gpu's from nvidia and intel being released between now and July?

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Hello. Please help, I know next to nothing about PCs, but I have finally come to a point in life where I can buy the parts to put one together.

I have a budget that can go up to about $1500 (monitor excluded), and I've already bought:

8 gigs of RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

and this case to get started

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

A friend will help me put the computer together once I have the parts, but I'm having trouble because I simply don't know what's a good deal or whether I should wait a little later until the new cards come out. I really want to get the best bang for my buck within a $1500 price range. Any suggestions?

Prez

I have a basic question about modems. I'm planning to buy an Intel NUC PPYH and I want to eliminate the need for a modem. Does this NUC have a built-in modem? I really can't tell from the specs. Google doesn't help me either. So will I still need a modem with the NUC and if so, are can I buy an internal modem that will fit in the NUC?

bomblord1

Banned
I have a basic question about modems. I'm planning to buy an Intel NUC PPYH and I want to eliminate the need for a modem. Does this NUC have a built-in modem? I really can't tell from the specs. Google doesn't help me either. So will I still need a modem with the NUC and if so, are can I buy an internal modem that will fit in the NUC?

You always need a modem to connect. I've never heard of a computer with a built in modem are you referring to a NIC?

Jimrpg

I'd only be interested in playing Street Fighter V and Star Citizen. My current rig is this:

FX-8320
R9 270
12gb RAM

Is there a chance of new cpu's and gpu's from nvidia and intel being released between now and July?

I'd def wait for the new line from nvidia. Some reports on it starting to leak out already that the first ones will be the 970,980 equivalent.

Btw, even tho the 970 is the recommended spec I'd go something a bit higher personally. My 970 can't really max things out and pump out 100fps.

Mikeside

So in my Corsair 540 case I've got a 4690k with an H80i watercooler & I have a GTX 980ti

My processor idles at around 43 degrees and my GPU at 56 degrees.

Is the GPU a little hot for idle? what can I do to cool it down?
What fan setup is everybody else using in their 540s?
I've got the 2 that came with the case in the front, the radiator for the H80i on the back and the fan from the back of the case on the top currently, though I've got a couple of Noctua 120mms to replace the ones on the radiator, so maybe that will help general airflow

Prez

You always need a modem. I've never heard of a computer with a built in modem are you referring to a NIC?

I haven't heard of it either, just had some results on Google about internal modems but those are apparently 56k.

I have a couple of old modems lying around but they're not wireless. Are there any internal add-ons for wifi (need wifi for my smartphone) or is that another separate box I will have to get?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
my build hasn't been touched since Dec 2011... but debating just upgrading the video card to a 970 for the rift (2500k overclocked should work?) --- or just getting something new.

leaning new since the GPU is where most of the money is anyway... buuuut

luoapp

I haven't heard of it either, just had some results on Google about internal modems but those are apparently 56k.

I have a couple of old modems lying around but they're not wireless. Are there any internal add-ons for wifi (need wifi for my smartphone) or is that another separate box I will have to get?

Are you mixing up the old dial-up modem with the cable modem? The former is used with a telephone line, and can go up to 56kbps. The latter, cable modem, you either buy one or rent one from ISP, but usually they are external.

So in my Corsair 540 case I've got a 4690k with an H80i watercooler & I have a GTX 980ti

I've got the 2 that came with the case in the front, the radiator for the H80i on the back and the fan from the back of the case on the top currently, though I've got a couple of Noctua 120mms to replace the ones on the radiator, so maybe that will help general airflow
GPU temp is fine. What does your cpu get to at full load? Seems a bit high.

knitoe

My CPU 5930K and GPU Titans X idle in the 30s in the 540. I have a Corsair AIO 110i GTX sucking in cool air from the front, 2 140mm fans pushing air out through the top and 1 140mm pushing make to the back.

Is your 980ti blower or custom type? If it's custom and blowing hot air inside your case, you should move the CPU cooler to the front so it can get fresh cool air instead of sucking in hot inside air. As for you gpu idling so high, are you running a high refresh rate monitor? If that's the case, I have read that it causes the gpu to not idle. If you aren't, try reinstalling the video drivers using the Custom > clean option.

manfestival

Yeah, I'd like it to be wireless. It just works so much better with my set up and environment. But you don't have any red flags with that mech., keyboard then at the least?

Not really but its good to do any possible research on a board. every experience varies but with lesser known switch it is known that quality falls through the cracks quite often which will have you going out of your way buying another board in place of the one that you bought.

SRG01

It took me forever, but I finally got my laptop's HDD installed in my system. It was in some weird sheet metal bracket that I couldn't take off -- there were dimples at exactly where the screw holes were -- so I had to install it in another slot. That, and the screw sizes were an inconsistent size so I had to improvise.

Having said that...

The drive is NTFS and includes both a recovery partition and a system-reserved partition. I know what the recovery partition does, but I don't know why a system reserved partition exists when my other NTFS drives don't...?

oqKzYGh.png

luoapp

It took me forever, but I finally got my laptop's HDD installed in my system. It was in some weird sheet metal bracket that I couldn't take off -- there were dimples at exactly where the screw holes were -- so I had to install it in another slot. That, and the screw sizes were an inconsistent size so I had to improvise.

Having said that...

The drive is NTFS and includes both a recovery partition and a system-reserved partition. I know what the recovery partition does, but I don't know why a system reserved partition exists when my other NTFS drives don't...?

It can be a lot of things, but it's only 100MB, don't worry about it.

SRG01

It can be a lot of things, but it's only 100MB, don't worry about it.

Yeah, I ended up removing the drive letter since it was bothering me in the side pane. The other recovery partition is 16GB, so I won't miss that space either.

The hard part is trying to figure out what I've already backed up on this drive. A lot of it is already duplicated on my existing 1TB so it seems like I just have two backups of a lot of files.

Garou

How does this build look, guys? It will be my first time building a PC myself.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZZPcJx

I have been told that 16GB of RAM is excessive. I wasn't planning on overclocking.

I wouldn't build a Haswell-PC now with Skylake out and available. Even if CPU-performance is similar, there are a couple of chipset-benefits at minimal additional cost.

Also building a PC in 2016 without SSD is a straight NO!

clem84

Gold Member
Quick question about Windows 10. It's a free upgrade from win 7/8 for the first year right? After that you have to pay monthly? Has MS said anything about a "pay upfront completely" version of Win10? Just wondering where this is going.

I wouldn't build a Haswell-PC now with Skylake out and available. Even if CPU-performance is similar, there are a couple of chipset-benefits at minimal additional cost.

Also building a PC in 2016 without SSD is a straight NO!

What are the benefits of Skylake?

I don't think I need an SSD based on what little I know about them, but I could be easily convinced. Why are they so essential?

AxeMan

Guys, I need some help around purchasing some new monitors.
I've upgraded my video card to a 970 and would like to upgrade my monitors as well. I don't have anything special at the moment.
I don't know if I should go 1080 or 1440. I can't have big monitors, 21" would probably be enough.
I need 2 monitors as well.
New video card has 1 x HDMI, 1 x DVI-I and 3 x Display Ports.

Any recommendations on monitors would be greatly appreciated

Quick question about Windows 10. It's a free upgrade from win 7/8 for the first year right? After that you have to pay monthly? Has MS said anything about a "pay upfront completely" version of Win10? Just wondering where this is going.

Pay monthly? Where did you get that from?

Somnia

There's no pay monthly.

luoapp

i got two extra fans, i have two open side slots and two open top slots.

opinions re: placement and intake v. outtake?

maybe one on each, pushing and pulling?

No way to know for sure, unless do a bunch of tests. At the end of the day, it may not matter that much anyway, just make sure they don't go against your current air flow(s).

I've upgraded my video card to a 970 and would like to upgrade my monitors as well. I don't have anything special at the moment.
I don't know if I should go 1080 or 1440. I can't have big monitors, 21" would probably be enough.

I don't think they make monitors that small at 1440p. Do you need to have two? Could you just go with one larger monitor with a higher resolution?

Is this for work or for gaming/browsing?

OraleeWey

You only have a 1 year window to upgrade for free. After that your lifetime license is activated as Windows 10. If you don't upgrade otherwise, you have to buy the license which costs $100-$130. It's a one time buy and there's no monthly charge.

Tesseract

Banned
You only have a 1 year window to upgrade for free. After that your lifetime license is activated as Windows 10. If you don't upgrade otherwise, you have to buy the license which costs $100-$130. It's a one time buy and there's no monthly charge.

can i do a fresh install with the upgrade license?

*edit* dp

I don't think I need an SSD based on what little I know about them, but I could be easily convinced. Why are they so essential?

An SSD is the single best overall improvement IMO. Installing, restarts, expanding zipped folders, games loading screens are shorter ...

knitoe

How much shorter? Is it worth the hassle for a first time builder to have to deal with 2 storage components instead of just one?

SSD makes a huge difference. The most important thing is your PC will be much more snappy. You start your PC, and as soon as you see your desktop, you can start using it. With a HDD, you have to wait for things to load. You click on your web browser, it opens right away and you are to browse. On a HDD, you have to wait. Now, apply that too almost every software and you will clearly see why people going SSD can't go back to just HDD.

RGM79

Skylake has support for the latest tech like M.2 SSDs, DDR4 RAM, USB 3.1 and USB type C, the next generation or two of Intel processors.

Everything loads faster with an SSD, and Windows feels quicker to respond. Windows takes no more than 20 seconds to boot up and be ready to use from a cold start. Programs start faster, and file searches take almost no time.

can i do a fresh install with the upgrade license

Yes.

Hello. Please help, I know next to nothing about PCs, but I have finally come to a point in life where I can buy the parts to put one together.

I have a budget that can go up to about $1500 (monitor excluded), and I've already bought:

8 gigs of RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

and this case to get started

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

A friend will help me put the computer together once I have the parts, but I'm having trouble because I simply don't know what's a good deal or whether I should wait a little later until the new cards come out. I really want to get the best bang for my buck within a $1500 price range. Any suggestions?

I would have suggested different RAM, but oh well too late. With DDR3 you will have to get the last generation Haswell parts instead of current generation Skylake or Haswell-E parts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.75 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($308.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1003.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-18 01:17 EST-0500

How does that look? You could even afford a GTX 980 Ti on your budget instead of a GTX 970, if you wanted to really spend that much.

AxeMan

I don't think they make monitors that small at 1440p. Do you need to have two? Could you just go with one larger monitor with a higher resolution?

Is this for work or for gaming/browsing?

It's a mixture. I game, browse, stream, write documents so quite often one monitor dedicated to one task and another dedicated to another task at the same time.
Windowed mode has never really looked quite right to me so I've always gone full screen on my programs - and some games don't play nicely with windowed mode

Skylake has support for the latest tech like M.2 SSDs, DDR4 RAM, USB 3.1 and USB type C, the next generation or two of Intel processors.

Everything loads faster with an SSD, and Windows feels quicker to respond. Windows takes no more than 20 seconds to boot up and be ready to use from a cold start. Programs start faster, and file searches take almost no time.

Yes.

I would have suggested different RAM, but oh well too late. With DDR3 you will have to get the last generation Haswell parts instead of current generation Skylake or Haswell-E parts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.75 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($308.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1003.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-18 01:17 EST-0500

How does that look? You could even afford a GTX 980 Ti on your budget instead of a GTX 970, if you wanted to really spend that much.

Hmm.. What SSD brand would you recommend, then?

Jimrpg

I'm using the Acer G227HQL which is a 21.5" LCD IPS monitor for work and I really like it.

I've also taken it home and played GTA V (with my 970) on it and works really well.

I suppose the only problem then is that it has 1 VGA (D-sub) input and 1 DVI-I input meaning you can't have two of the same monitor given your 970. Perhaps you can find the Acer G227HQL version with HDMI which might exist. I think I saw it somewhere.

You might also have the same problem with other monitors given a lot of the smaller monitors may not have Display Ports.

Edit: If you do get that monitor you should play it safe and confirm that it does indeed have a HDMI port with the store, as the official website says it includes HDMI but mine does not. Link

Mikeside

GPU temp is fine. What does your cpu get to at full load? Seems a bit high.

I'll check it at full load tonight. Thanks.

My CPU 5930K and GPU Titans X idle in the 30s in the 540. I have a Corsair AIO 110i GTX sucking in cool air from the front, 2 140mm fans pushing air out through the top and 1 140mm pushing make to the back.

Is your 980ti blower or custom type? If it's custom and blowing hot air inside your case, you should move the CPU cooler to the front so it can get fresh cool air instead of sucking in hot inside air. As for you gpu idling so high, are you running a high refresh rate monitor? If that's the case, I have read that it causes the gpu to not idle. If you aren't, try reinstalling the video drivers using the Custom > clean option.

I'll give video driver a clean install this evening. The card is a Gigabyte Windforce.

So what I might do is to replace the H80i with a H100i GTX. Put that on the front 2 fans & have the 3 included fans on the top & back.
Does that sound like it would help drop my temps?

I guess if I'm doing that, I'll replace the paste too. Is Arctic 5 still the paste of choice?

Jimrpg

The office PC I built with a budget Intel Dual Core G3250, 8gb Ram, Sandisk SSD Plus takes less than 5 seconds to boot up. Sometimes it feels like 2 seconds. Its kinda insane. I doubt its CPU - SSDs are just amazing.

I'm about to build another couple office PCs but without SSDs, its just for the clerk to use. I'll report back the difference in windows loading times.

How much shorter? Is it worth the hassle for a first time builder to have to deal with 2 storage components instead of just one?

How does this build look, guys? It will be my first time building a PC myself.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZZPcJx

I have been told that 16GB of RAM is excessive. I wasn't planning on overclocking.

If I can add my 2 cents. Like others have said, go skylake! You'll need to change motherboard as well. (and I think you can choose DDR4 or DDR3 but my advice is to go DDR4 anyway)

16gb Ram is a lot but if you don't mind the extra cost, some people have experienced less problems with certain open world games with 16gb ram as opposed to 8gb.

Get at least a 600W PSU. I got 550W with my GTX970 and a GTX 980 Ti/ Titan X requires a 600W should you ever want to upgrade. The new Pascal cards may or may not need more power (would be good for an Oculus Rift)

Consider Microsoft Software Swap on Reddit to get Windows 10 to save a little if you wish.

knitoe

I'll check it at full load tonight. Thanks.

I'll give video driver a clean install this evening. The card is a Gigabyte Windforce.

So what I might do is to replace the H80i with a H100i GTX. Put that on the front 2 fans & have the 3 included fans on the top & back.
Does that sound like it would help drop my temps?

I guess if I'm doing that, I'll replace the paste too. Is Arctic 5 still the paste of choice?

If you re-arrange your fan setup, it would look like mine and it should definitely decrease your temps. Switching to a 100i GTX, the paste that comes already applied is just fine.

RayStorm

Considering that the already bought RAM comes to a total of 30 USD I personally wouldn't feel too bad about recommending him to buy new RAM as well. Seems like way too little of an investment to actually compromise the build considering the total money being spent.

I'm about to build another couple office PCs but without SSDs, its just for the clerk to use. I'll report back the difference in windows loading times.

Why do you hate ypur clerks? Or in other thoughts: Do they really need more sace than 64-128 GB? Considering that the smallest HDDs don't cost less than that either I personally would feel iffy about doing a HDD based build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom