• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope I can determine here if I need a new pc or not. My pic died on me a while ago and I'm trying to see again if I could figure out the problem. I tried unplugging everything and plugging it back in. When I power up the system there is no beep and there is nothing on the screen. The fans are working the disc drive works, does this rule out a bad psu most likely?

Did it just die without any tinkering, or have you done any assembling before that? This usually happens after a poorly seated CPU. I've seen it happen when a HSF installation goes wrong as well. I suggest you remove your HSF, then your CPU, clean everything and reinstall them. Make sure that the lanes from the PSU that directly feed the CPU are connected to the mainboard, I've seen the issue happen when this is not done. If that doesn't work try booting the PC with a single stick of RAM, try them all. If that is no go try booting from the IGP if you have any. If that doesn't work then it's probably the PSU. If new PSU doesn't work then you probably blew something on the mainboard that stops it before POST, check all capacitors on the mainbaord and see if any are swollen/leaking..

M.D

Never roll back since most malware installs itself in the recovery files. In fact I always delete all the system recovery files after malware attacks by disabling it then after cleaned up I re enable it.

Well.. that sucks

Do you know if the new Reset option in Windows 10 is safe enough? It says an option that says "Remove Everything", but I wonder if really does work like a clean install

Jesb

Removing the ram and powering up makes three beeps, I assume this is to tell you something is not right as no ram is installed. I looked for a cmos battery and don't see it anywhere on the mobo.

LilJoka

Well.. that sucks

Do you know if the new Reset option in Windows 10 is safe enough? It says an option that says "Remove Everything", but I wonder if really does work like a clean install

Just clean install if your going to consider that.

Removing the ram and powering up makes three beeps, I assume this is to tell you something is not right as no ram is installed. I looked for a cmos battery and don't see it anywhere on the mobo.

You need atleast 1 stick of ram installed.

OraleeWey

Money is no object... or under $100. Not sure. Thanks I will look up the G502 Proteus Core.
It really is a good mouse. You may have a gripe about it only being able to use blue LED's. If blue isn't your preferred color, at CES a new revision of it was made and the only change to it is support for RGB lights with 16 million colors.

Logitech’s popular G502 Proteus mouse is getting a minor refresh for 2016 but fixes one of the biggest gripes about the mouse: the lack of customizable lighting. The new G502 Proteus Spectrum will now feature full RGB control, allowing you to choose from 16.8 million colors with the company’s software. You’ll be able to choose a specific color or use lighting effects to continuously cycle through the color spectrum. If lights aren’t you thing, you can disable lighting altogether.
-IGN

It will retail for $80. The G502 Proteus Core is $50 at Best Buy. The G502 Proteus Spectrum is supposed to release sometime this month.

Edit: you can find the new mouse on Amazon

Jesb

Did it just die without any tinkering, or have you done any assembling before that? This usually happens after a poorly seated CPU. I've seen it happen when a HSF installation goes wrong as well. I suggest you remove your HSF, then your CPU, clean everything and reinstall them. Make sure that the lanes from the PSU that directly feed the CPU are connected to the mainboard, I've seen the issue happen when this is not done. If that doesn't work try booting the PC with a single stick of RAM, try them all. If that is no go try booting from the IGP if you have any. If that doesn't work then it's probably the PSU. If new PSU doesn't work then you probably blew something on the mainboard that stops it before POST, check all capacitors on the mainbaord and see if any are swollen/leaking..

It suddenly stopped working. It was working fine, I bought a new gpu and installed it and the system was working fine but only for a few months. Problems started such as beeping, system shudding down on its own, I was getting bsod's and eventually it just stopped powering on.

LilJoka

It suddenly stopped working. It was working fine, I bought a new gpu and installed it and the system was working fine but only for a few months. Problems started such as beeping, system shudding down on its own, I was getting bsod's and eventually it just stopped powering on.

Full specs?

M.D

Just clean install if your going to consider that.

You need atleast 1 stick of ram installed.

I just restarted my PC and opened Chrome again, and the massage from my antivirus/firewall appeared again. I picked deny all communications from Chrome and now the browser is working... I really have no idea what to make of this

You got a picture of the BSOD?
The STOP code is important.
CMOS battery should look like this:
625-cmos-batt1-s-.png

LilJoka

I just restarted my PC and opened Chrome again, and the massage from my antivirus/firewall appeared again. I picked deny all communications from Chrome and now the browser is working... I really have no idea what to make of this

It's a virus that's half working lol.

Tried norton to see if it can remove it?

M.D

It's a virus that's half working lol.

Tried norton to see if it can remove it?

I imagine the virus limping to its home after all the malware scanners I just ran lol

Do you mean Norton AV in general or some specific tool they have for malware? My dad also recommended this

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk

He says it boots its own operation system and scans on a deeper level than what all the usual program allow, do you have any experience with this tool?

LilJoka

I imagine the virus limping to its home after all the malware scanners I just ran lol

Do you mean Norton AV in general or some specific tool they have for malware? My dad also recommended this

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk

He says it boots its own operation system and scans on a deeper level than what all the usual program allow, do you have any experience with this tool?

Kaspersky is good stuff, never used that specific tool of theirs but worth a shot.

I used this the last couple of times
Security deluxe trial
http://uk.norton.com/downloads

Mobo MSI. 970A g46
Cpu amd fx 8350
gpu 7970
Muchkin ram two sticks 4gb each
120 GB ssd
1TB HDD
700 watt psu

Need that PSU model number.

Ah ok, my gpu was blocking it. Gonna have to remove that to remove this. So should I buy a new battery to test it? How do I know what battery to buy, and do most computer stores sell them.

Most Computer or electronic stores should sell it. But you do not need to buy a new one, just remove it for one minute so the CMOS is reverting back to factory default.
Remove the battery, and remove the power cord for 1 min, re-insert the battery and the power cord and try booting up the PC again.

Reassemble your CPU and heatsink-fan and see if it works. Your PSU at 700W, even if it's not the best, should not be causing these issues and your mainboard isn't a cheap copout. It was mostly a thermal issue that was causing overheating problems and now the system finally emergency shut down and won't boot until you fix the problem.

My question: I installed a Coolermaster T4 today on my FX-6100 and with some vcore adjustments I'm at 4.2Ghz. I've run Prime95 for 15 minutes, Core Temp reading is max. 65C and I'm getting no errors. I'm safe, right?

M.D

Kaspersky is good stuff, never used that specific tool of theirs but worth a shot.

I used this the last couple of times
Security deluxe trial
http://uk.norton.com/downloads

Need that PSU model number.

I just installed it and did a quick scan and it says it removed 11 tracking cookies. Could these be related? I'll do a full scan tomorrow cause I'm going to sleep soon

Is there a way to scan specifically for malware or is it part of the virus scan?

Edit: I ran the Norton Power Eraser tool and it found problems with a few .exe files, but they were drivers and a Steam game

Not sure what to do right now, maybe I'll just re-install Windows just to be safe

e90Mark

It really is a good mouse. You may have a gripe about it only being able to use blue LED's. If blue isn't your preferred color, at CES a new revision of it was made and the only change to it is support for RGB lights with 16 million colors.

It will retail for $80. The G502 Proteus Core is $50 at Best Buy. The G502 Proteus Spectrum is supposed to release sometime this month.

Ugh, $80. I have the G502 now and I love it, especially for the price. I actually keep all the lighting off, because the blue doesn't match any of my other lighting lol.

He may also have a gripe about it being really heavy, it having a button placed right under where you rest your thumb making it less comfortable unless you adapt, and... well, yeah.

Not a fan of the G502 myself. I'd sooner get a G402, but at that point, I'd probably just go for a Zowie EC2-A (which is what I use). Ergonomic, lightweight, and the sensor is flawless.

OraleeWey

He may also have a gripe about it being really heavy, it having a button placed right under where you rest your thumb making it less comfortable unless you adapt, and... well, yeah.

Not a fan of the G502 myself. I'd sooner get a G402, but at that point, I'd probably just go for a Zowie EC2-A (which is what I use). Ergonomic, lightweight, and the sensor is flawless.
The G502 does have 2 buttons above the thumb rest and one in front of your thumb. Also, you can add weight to the mouse with up to five 3.6g weights. He said he wanted a gaming mouse, so I think those extra buttons can be very useful. I personally use them to crouch, reload, and use the last one to "perform action" aka open doors, etc.

Jesb

So taking out the cmos battery and putting it back in actually did it. Can't believe that's all it was. I shelved my pc for months, finally decided to troubleshoot it again. I am running into another issue now though. It was fine when I first had 1 stick of memory installed. But than I tried installing the other stick and now I can't load windows. It will just tell me windows is trying to diagnose the problem and than a page comes up telling me it didn't fix the problem and if I want to go into advanced options and run other tasks.

What's strange is now even with one stick of ram installed it won't load windows, but before it did, I only ran into this problem when adding both sticks of ram. But now even one won't load windows. What's going on here now?

bomblord1

Banned
So taking out the cmos battery and putting it back in actually did it. Can't believe that's all it was. I shelved my pc for months, finally decided to troubleshoot it again. I am running into another issue now though. It was fine when I first had 1 stick of memory installed. But than I tried installing the other stick and now I can't load windows. It will just tell me windows is trying to diagnose the problem and than a page comes up telling me it didn't fix the problem and if I want to go into advanced options and run other tasks.

What's strange is now even with one stick of ram installed it won't load windows, but before it did, I only ran into this problem when adding both sticks of ram. But now even one won't load windows. What's going on here now?

It's more than likely 1 of a few possibilities.

1. One of your ram sticks is bad. Try swapping them out and see if they both boot individually.
2. One of your ram slots or channels is bad try putting them into different slots/channels.
3. You have a bent CPU pin. I had that exact same issue and was working on it for hours until I pulled out my CPU and saw there was 1 tiny pin out of place in the slot. Took some tweazers and bent it back and it worked immediately.

Glad the CMOS reset helped. You should test your RAM, try one stick at a time, try also this tool to check if the RAM maybe faulty:

http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

Get the standard version and run a RAM check. Try also if the RAM if inserted makes a click sound, so it is inserted properly.

Jesb

So I figured out a fix. Went to advanced options used the refresh windows option and the errors have stopped. :)

inana

Banned
Few weeks ago I went to Canada Computers to see prices for parts thinking of updating graphic card and CPU, I came out almost having a heart attack. Damn those prices are high. or maybe it's been so long since I bought anything new for my PC so I wasn't expecting it

SRG01

Few weeks ago I went to Canada Computers to see prices for parts thinking of updating graphic card and CPU, I came out almost having a heart attack. Damn those prices are high. or maybe it's been so long since I bought anything new for my PC so I wasn't expecting it

It's definitely a combination of the low dollar and a general price creep, I think. You'd be better served by checking ca.pcpartpicker.com ahead of time and check for deals.

Or redflagdeals.

luoapp

Have you checked out Canadian dollar exchange rate recently?

Oh shit, a GTX 950 for $70...

...and it's gone. Damn, double post. Ah well, it was only the 2GB VRAM version anyway.

There is no 4GB version as far as I know, besides 4 GB are mostly useless on these cards, not powerful enough for it to make a difference. Other than that, 70$ for almost gtx770 performance is a steal. You could even SLI them for a total of 140$ for around 970 performance. :eek: (minus the vram ofc)

I was thinking the Corsair 100R as the case for my first ever build. Anyone have experience with it/can speak to its quality and easiness to work with for a beginner?

psycho17

So I'm looking to build my first PC soon since my current PC is almost 10 years old and seems to be on its way out.
My budget would be around $1000. It would mostly be for playing games and just some general internet use and video streaming. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I would have suggested different RAM, but oh well too late. With DDR3 you will have to get the last generation Haswell parts instead of current generation Skylake or Haswell-E parts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.75 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($308.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1003.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-18 01:17 EST-0500

How does that look? You could even afford a GTX 980 Ti on your budget instead of a GTX 970, if you wanted to really spend that much.
Wow, I honestly didn't think I was going to get a response (I was worried my question might have been too broad). Thanks so much for those links. This info helps me out a lot.

If you don't mind, if I was to go with a different RAM, what RAM do you think would be best to go with, and what would you change about the above setup?

Man, after a bunk Asus Z170-A returned I got the new one today. Installed my stuff and new CPU with a 212 Evo.

Figured might as well upgrade to Win10 while I'm at it for the free go (now it will really feel new!)

Is the overclocking tools on these boards pretty good? Thinking of pushing a bit since Rift may need it.

Laptop question for you guys.

I have a laptop with an "Intel HD Graphics Family" and a Nvidida GeForce GT730M. Starcraft 2 will not run. I think it's falling back to the Intel instead of the graphics card. I have gone into the Nvidia control panel and set the global setting to be the Nvidia card but no luck.

If I go in the device manager and disable the Intel graphics, will I fuck my laptop?

On a work trip so I'd rather not do that.

Smokey

If you re-arrange your fan setup, it would look like mine and it should definitely decrease your temps. Switching to a 100i GTX, the paste that comes already applied is just fine.

Care to post pics of your 540 setup? Thinking of moving my h100i (push/pull) from the top of the case towards the front.

manfestival

What sort of connector do I need to get my front case fan to work? I was able to plug in the back fan of my case and get that running but I would certainly like the front fan to be working. Anyone got any cheap connector recommendations? Its a 4pin female connector

knitoe

Care to post pics of your 540 setup? Thinking of moving my h100i (push/pull) from the top of the case towards the front.
Kcj1mHG.jpg

You don't really need to do push / pull. I just use push and getting mid 70Cs with Prime running 5930K @ 4.5Ghz. While gaming, it's usually in the 50Cs.
What sort of connector do I need to get my front case fan to work? I was able to plug in the back fan of my case and get that running but I would certainly like the front fan to be working. Anyone got any cheap connector recommendations? Its a 4pin female connector
Plug it into your MB. You can control it through the Bios. If not, buy a fan controller.

Smokey

Kcj1mHG.jpg

You don't really need to do push / pull. I just use push and getting mid 70Cs with Prime running 5930K @ 4.5Ghz. While gaming, it's usually in the 50Cs.

Yeah I was just adding detail to how I currently have it set up. I'll probably do this during the weekend.

I need to bring a bare hard drive and graphics card with me back to college; I travel with only a single backpack, so it's essential that everything takes up as little space as possible. Will wrapping the hardware up in (seperate) pairs of soft corduroys be sufficient?

Edit: Should probably mention that neither is particularly valuable. Hard drive is an old 500gb 5200rpm thing, and graphics card is an half-size radeon that I want for compatibility with a single old game. I'll be quite annoyed if they break, but it won't be the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom